You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM/CASH challenge.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £519.99)..................................... profit from £5 games..£46.50:
    Almost half way there mate! The first half is always the hardest. I have no doubt you will complete this, and well deserved. This is a perfect example of how BR management works. All the best.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks Craig.
  • edited November 2014
    day 149  sunday  9/11/14   day off
    day 150  monday 10/11/14

£3 & £2  4 tables... 

WON £0.90  B/R £520.89  PTS 270  £5 GAMES  TOTAL W 91  L 66  PROFIT £46.50

just a quickie, not chasing points & being careful on table selection as lots of sharks about -:)
  • edited November 2014
    day 151  tuesday  11/11/14

£5 & £3  6 tables...

WON £1.00  B/R £521.89  PTS 530  £5 GAMES W 9 L 8 TOTAL W 100 L 74  PROFIT +£43.00

went 1-4 down on the £5 games (losing one game aipf on bubble with AQ V A10.. 10 hit 1st card :(
    so to come out of session 9-8 up (winning last 2 games comfortably as chip leader) was a great result -:)

not sure if I should be playing this many games per session, but I guess when you go behind then you have to trust your game is good enough to get you out of trouble,which thankfully it did today.
    anyway, I'll take each day & each session as it comes & make the necessary decisions as best I can.
    nice points today... 260 but don't want to get carried away with trying to make them a priority, & hopefully will make 6 tables my maximum, as I feel any more than that I just end up 'pressing buttons' & not paying full attention to my 'opponents game play' which of course is very important too.

• edited November 2014
    day 152  wednesday  12/11/14

2 x £5 & £3   6 tables...

WON £10.50  B/R £532.39  PTS 580  £5 GAMES W 2 L 0 TOTAL W 102 L 74 PROFIT +£52.00

Good session, just a quickie 'booked the win' after y'days mini-marathon.
    At last hit the £50 profit barrier on the £5 games, which I was only thinking about the other night...
    'if I can make that then I can make the next one of £100' was my exact thought...
    now it's done, let's hope I'm right, ha ha.
  • edited November 2014
    Hi dev, ive been a way for a while i think last time i was around u had just completed your last dym challange i really enjoyed reading that so im glad to see you've started another challange and i'm glad its going well.

I also have some good news for you, im nearly rolled for £5 dym's now so you will have some softer opposition very soon ;)
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £532.39)..profit from £5 games...£52.00:
    Hi dev, ive been a way for a while i think last time i was around u had just completed your last dym challange i really enjoyed reading that so im glad to see you've started another challange and i'm glad its going well. I also have some good news for you, im nearly rolled for £5 dym's now so you will have some softer opposition very soon ;)
    Posted by RLT16
    Ha Ha RLT,
    Thanks for the kind words...much apreciated.

I was going to reply to your number of buy-ins question earlier, but I guessed you would get plenty of good advice from others.
    My best advice would be to beat the level you are playing now, ie; the £1.  add 1x £2 table then once we are winning around 2 from 3 or (3 from 5) games in total, & b/r is around £80-£100...could be less even £60,  then drop the £1 games & think about adding a 1x £3 game to your £2 games and so on.
    Experiment & find what works for you but as long as you use some sort of good brm then you will be fine I'm sure.
    good luck,
    dev
    edit; you say you are nearly rolled for the £5 games. 20 buy-ins is £100... that is not enough imo.
           beat the £3 level first before even thinking about the £5's is my advice.
           once you can do that then the £5's are worth trying but a b/r of £200 would be better, I think.

• edited November 2014
    day 153  13/11/14

£5 & £3   6-7 tables...

WON £3.60  B/R £535.99  PTS 868  £5 GAMES W 12  L 9  TOTAL W 114  L 83 PROFIT +£56.50

HARD SESSION, RAN PRETTY BAD TBH, SO GRINDING OUT THE SMALL WIN FEELS GOOD, ESPECIALLY AS IT'S ANOTHER WIN ON £5 GAMES OVER A GOOD NUMBER OF GAMES.
  • edited November 2014
    Do you not do the paintings anymore?
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £535.99)..profit from £5 games...£56.50:
    Do you not do the paintings anymore?
    Posted by 55013
    Haven't done any for a couple of months mate, as I have an old rsi injury(from playing to much poker on my last challenge)  lol
    so am resting my painting arm right now.
    hope to do some more in the new year though.
    thanks for asking.
    dev
  • edited November 2014
    DAY 153  13/11/14

PART 2...

£5 & £3   6-8 TABLES  

LOST £28.50  B/R £507.49  PTS 1258  £5 GAMES W 14  L 16  TOTAL W 128  L 99  PROFIT +£31.50

WOOOOPS   so much for playing safe  :(

went down early...again,  & spent the next few hours chasing which has cost me tonight.
    I always knew that this session was coming so am not surprised at all, in fact it could have been worse as I won my last 2 games which was nice.
    It's not like I've not been here before, so I will re-group & hopefully re-build again.
    still showing a profit so no need to panic... just yet.
    also have to remember these games have given me good points too, which add up to another £11.35 in bonus so far since I started playing them last month.
    anyway, it's all over now & I have no regrets, I gave it my best as always, but some bad run & no doubt some bad play mixed in there too has cost me today.
    I always look at the bigger picture after sessions like today... which is that I am £467.49 up since I started,(and over 3K up in total winnings), so it's never quite as bad as it seems & by tomorrow another session will begin & we start all over again...
    as Tikay or was it Carlo that says "It's a never ending game" -:)

• edited November 2014
    Hi Devon

Well done on getting to the £500 mark.

Dont take this wrong: -

The times when you have a losing session you seem to keep playing and playing and playing till you try and get the money back. Sometimes you just cant. You always say i booked the win e.g. up 7.80 or something.

Maybe sometimes it might be good to book the loss and not try chasing it.

I have just noticed your losing sessions are the ones with alot of games played in one day.

PS We had a good game today thought you were in trouble when my KK beat your AQ and u were down to 700 chips or so but we both cashed.

GL  
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £507.49)..profit from £5 games...£31.50 whoooops.:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £507.49)..profit from £5 games...£31.50 whoooops. : Im no expert but i would say it would be better to do neither If Dev really believes that poker is a never ending game and he already knows that he can beat the levels he plays i would say that he should never be booking the win or quiting when he is losing (unless he feels he isnt playing his optimum game). If it really is a neverending game and you beat the game then all the losses during the sessions are down to variance and the best way to iron out variance is surely to play more ? Yes you will have bigger losses at times but as a winning player you will have bigger wins aswell and the later should outweigh the former. gl devon i enjoy reading your progress
    Posted by gran23
    Yes i agree, i dont believe in booking the win either. All i am saying is Dev never books the loss.

DYMs are all about volume volume volume

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £507.49)..profit from £5 games...£31.50 whoooops.:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £507.49)..profit from £5 games...£31.50 whoooops. : Im no expert but i would say it would be better to do neither If Dev really believes that poker is a never ending game and he already knows that he can beat the levels he plays i would say that he should never be booking the win or quiting when he is losing (unless he feels he isnt playing his optimum game). If it really is a neverending game and you beat the game then all the losses during the sessions are down to variance and the best way to iron out variance is surely to play more ? Yes you will have bigger losses at times but as a winning player you will have bigger wins aswell and the later should outweigh the former. gl devon i enjoy reading your progress
    Posted by gran23
    Basically this ^

And Dev, you don't need to be so philosophical when you have the odd bad session! Just take it on the chin.
  • edited November 2014
    I set myself a target to reach priority in September grinding DYMs, plan was to start at £11 (which I'd played and been comfortable with over a small sample) then to add in increased stakes when the BR increased, faster points faster profits, lovely.

September 1st I played 43 £11 games and ended the session £7 ahead.
    September 2nd I played 30 £11 games and ended £9 behind.
    September 3rd I played 30 £11 games and one £16.50 and booked the £55 loss.

The plan to lower volume but increase stakes was not really working out.

Started to recover over the next few days felt like I'd cracked it, then it levelled out, then BANG! Fast forward a couple of weeks and I've played a very long multitable session every day and at one point on the 20th September I'm £215 in the hole from the start of the month.  This was a pretty low point for me, I really wanted to make my points target, and I was 2/3s of the way there.  But 1/3 feels like a very long road when you're bleeding cash and losing all your 60/40s.  I was definitely getting more than my share of negative variance around this time, and then I caught myself making really bad decisions because I was fed up with it, which obviously compounded the downward trend.  I wanted to get there, but I didn't want to go broke doing so, so I had to dig in and stop making "ah forget it" calls and really focus on each decision and each game texture.  I developed new strategies in this period and slowly things turned.  I ended the month making a modest profit but I learnt so many lessons.  One was that it's not really worth making priority ;)

I think my final month numbers would show that I barely beat the rake at £11 but did quite well at £16.50 to tip the numbers positive.  When the edges are small it's so difficult pulling out the variance, it's vastly understated, but it's so powerful as it can change your mood and turn you from a winning player with a slight edge to a losing one.

I started playing DYMs on Sky at the end of 2012, since then I've played about 2800 games.  Around 850 of those were played in September and the swings were crazy.  I was knackered!  I've played 7 NLHE DYM games since the end of September, and 6 of those were on the same day.

I started DYMs after reading the JohnConnor thing, he said set yourself a number of buy-ins and move up when you reach enough for the next level etc.  I did this starting from £3 and soon was playing £5 then £11.  I'm by no means the best DYM crusher but I really think it's important to try to move up.  We learn new things, and we can make more money.  Let's step back if we can't compete but if we feel comfortable let's go for it.  I post this because I don't understand how you can crush £3 but not crack £5. There are more regs at £5 but the fundamentals are the same.  I just wonder whether you've given it enough time.  Do your plays work in the same way?  What do others do at certain stages of the game that differs to the average £3 player?

Very long rambling post, should have started my own diary!  I guess the point is that when BR starts to reduce and we think we're getting beaten it's really important to try to strip away variance from that.  As long as we make the right decisions in the right places, it really doesn't matter how far up or down we finish the night if we can absorb it.  But we should never sit at a table and already feel defeated, or play with scared money.

I'll try to post my whole DYM graph to put September in context, the swings look shocking.  Interestingly, when I was struggling I had some comments from opponents re my Sharkscope, which was showing a small positive return (but obviously nowhere near their incredible but hidden upward climbs).  When it turned at the end of the month apparently it was 'a heater'. I developed a few things, but in truth the only difference in the big downswing and the big upswing, was making poor decisions vs having good discipline and focus, and after that it was just the turn of a few cards.

Just wanted to show how cruel the game can be, but that good play and focus will always get there over a long enough time span.

Run well.

• edited November 2014
    Thanks guys for all your posts, much appreciated.
    off to work for a few hours now so will give my replies later,
    cheers,
    dev
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Devon Well done on getting to the £500 mark. Dont take this wrong: - The times when you have a losing session you seem to keep playing and playing and playing till you try and get the money back. Sometimes you just cant. You always say i booked the win e.g. up 7.80 or something. Maybe sometimes it might be good to book the loss and not try chasing it. I have just noticed your losing sessions are the ones with alot of games played in one day. PS We had a good game today thought you were in trouble when my KK beat your AQ and u were down to 700 chips or so but we both cashed. GL  
    Posted by stuarty117
    Hi mate,
    thanks,
    I understand what u r saying, but let's take y'days session...
    I went 0-1 0-2 0-3 1-3 1-4 1-5 down, which is unusual. what's that -£23 down. where would you have stopped? 0-3 down, maybe?
    i ran awful tbh, so it really wasn't from my bad play,(not going into details.. u know the score.)
    even my £3 games are running rubbish right now, so it's pretty tough at the minute, so what do i do?
    grind it out, play less tables, drop levels?
    all are options, but as i'm now well rolled for the £5's (well 100 buy-ins, is ok  lol) I think i just have to grind it out.
    today is another day, so let's see what happens.
    It's hard getting the balance right, & i get criticised for booking the win, which is fine, i've no problem with that, i choose to do it for my own reasons, rightly or wrongly.
    maybe now is the time,(especially with double points on offer), to really go for it, maybe i will maybe i won't  lol
    anyway, hope u r running good.
    best wishes,
    dev
    ps; always enjoy the challenge of playing against you...always a good hard battle  lol
    as u no chat box is off so don't think i'm ignoring you :)

• edited November 2014
    Posted by gran23
    Thanks Gran,
    I know i can beat the £3 level so would be happy to play them all day & all night...i have done, just read my 1st challenge  lol
    as to the £5's that's another story. yes i've played a few hundred or more maybe 500 in the past & broke even on them.
    now i'm showing a small profit from what 200 odd games, so that's progress, i think.
    I will continue with them though, & i think my game is better now than 2 years ago, so i guess only time will see if that is the case or not.
    variance is killing me right now, so i'll get through it as best i can & as long as i am in profit i really haven't got much to moan or worry about.
    i agree about the bigger losses & bigger wins too, i'm just waiting on the second one to come along...
    hopefully today.  lol
    cheers, dev
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £507.49)..profit from £5 games...£31.50 whoooops. : Basically this ^ And Dev, you don't need to be so philosophical when you have the odd bad session! Just take it on the chin.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks hhy,
    yes i do read more into things sometimes than perhaps i should, but that's just my computer brain trying to rationalize things i guess.
    i sometimes forget that there is luck involved in this game & it's not always going to be 'good' luck either. :)
    yep, deffo need to take it on the chin, as you say, think i do most of the time, guess i just don't like losing & thankfully it doesn't happen too often, especially as my booking the win sees to that.  lol

• edited November 2014
    I set myself a target to reach priority in September grinding DYMs, plan was to start at £11 (which I'd played and been comfortable with over a small sample) then to add in increased stakes when the BR increased, faster points faster profits, lovely. September 1st I played 43 £11 games and ended the session £7 ahead. September 2nd I played 30 £11 games and ended £9 behind. September 3rd I played 30 £11 games and one £16.50 and booked the £55 loss. The plan to lower volume but increase stakes was not really working out. Started to recover over the next few days felt like I'd cracked it, then it levelled out, then BANG! Fast forward a couple of weeks and I've played a very long multitable session every day and at one point on the 20th September I'm £215 in the hole from the start of the month.  This was a pretty low point for me, I really wanted to make my points target, and I was 2/3s of the way there.  But 1/3 feels like a very long road when you're bleeding cash and losing all your 60/40s.  I was definitely getting more than my share of negative variance around this time, and then I caught myself making really bad decisions because I was fed up with it, which obviously compounded the downward trend.  I wanted to get there, but I didn't want to go broke doing so, so I had to dig in and stop making "ah forget it" calls and really focus on each decision and each game texture.  I developed new strategies in this period and slowly things turned.  I ended the month making a modest profit but I learnt so many lessons.  One was that it's not really worth making priority ;) I think my final month numbers would show that I barely beat the rake at £11 but did quite well at £16.50 to tip the numbers positive.  When the edges are small it's so difficult pulling out the variance, it's vastly understated, but it's so powerful as it can change your mood and turn you from a winning player with a slight edge to a losing one. I started playing DYMs on Sky at the end of 2012, since then I've played about 2800 games.  Around 850 of those were played in September and the swings were crazy.  I was knackered!  I've played 7 NLHE DYM games since the end of September, and 6 of those were on the same day. I started DYMs after reading the JohnConnor thing, he said set yourself a number of buy-ins and move up when you reach enough for the next level etc.  I did this starting from £3 and soon was playing £5 then £11.  I'm by no means the best DYM crusher but I really think it's important to try to move up.  We learn new things, and we can make more money.  Let's step back if we can't compete but if we feel comfortable let's go for it.  I post this because I don't understand how you can crush £3 but not crack £5. There are more regs at £5 but the fundamentals are the same.  I just wonder whether you've given it enough time.  Do your plays work in the same way?  What do others do at certain stages of the game that differs to the average £3 player? Very long rambling post, should have started my own diary!  I guess the point is that when BR starts to reduce and we think we're getting beaten it's really important to try to strip away variance from that.  As long as we make the right decisions in the right places, it really doesn't matter how far up or down we finish the night if we can absorb it.  But we should never sit at a table and already feel defeated, or play with scared money. I'll try to post my whole DYM graph to put September in context, the swings look shocking.  Interestingly, when I was struggling I had some comments from opponents re my Sharkscope, which was showing a small positive return (but obviously nowhere near their incredible but hidden upward climbs).  When it turned at the end of the month apparently it was 'a heater'. I developed a few things, but in truth the only difference in the big downswing and the big upswing, was making poor decisions vs having good discipline and focus, and after that it was just the turn of a few cards. Just wanted to show how cruel the game can be, but that good play and focus will always get there over a long enough time span. Run well.
    Posted by bbMike
    Many thanks Mike...
    enjoyed your diary lol
    where to start? :)
    I did the same as you trying to make priority in dec 2012, just about the time you started by the looks of things  :)
    i was only playing £3's & £5's (as i am now  lol) & it was a challenge i set myself, just after my 1st £40 to £1040 challenge had finished, but i made it anyway playing every day as much as 100 to 150 games some days  lol 
    total profit for the month... -£20 i think from memory  ha ha.   so i can also agree with you, it ain't worth it  :(
    anyway, on to now...
    thank you for sharing your 'up's & downs' with me...makes my little loss y'day seem nothing to worry about now  lol not that i am, of course.  :)
    the £5 level has always been a mystery to me & one that i am determined to crack, especially as the £3's seem so easy in comparison... to me anyway.
    i think i just need to keep playing them & trying to figure it out, which i am doing right now.
    as you say maybe i just haven't given it enough time, as i've probably played almost 10 times more £3 games (at a guess).
    as to the game play. it's not a big difference between the two levels, & most other players say that, but i guess there must be some if not i would be crushing them too.
    with only just over 200 games played so far this time around & showing a small profit, that must count as improvement but i know there is still some way to go, but it is becoming not easier but more comfortable with each day i play them, & some players that i thought were better than me are maybe not as good as i perhaps once thought & are beatable, so there is some light at the end of what has been a very long & dark tunnel for me, up until now certainly.
    I have been watching the £11's recently, just to see what's what, & have learnt a thing or two from those guys, but putting new things into your own game takes time & old habits die hard as they say, but knowing what to do is half of the battle, carrying it out is the hard bit  lol
    I failed in my cash exploits & am back on familiar territory, once again, so as long as I keep on playing & trying my best then I can do no more than that. Am i going to beat the £5's?
    I think I will, but I would say that, wouldn't I  lol
    If & when I do, I think the jump up to the £11's will be exciting & my next challenge.
    I am already thinking about dym challenge no.3 & I think it will blow you all away if & when I decide to do it.
    of course there is the little matter of completing this challenge first & as i'm not even 1/2 way there yet, i guess i shouldn't get too carried away with everything...
    but then it's good to have goals, isn't it?  lol
    thanks again Mike,
    run good & best wishes,
    dev
    ps; as to the game play differences...
       do my plays work in the same way? I think so.yes, you do get one or two players playing back at you a little more at the £5's & where i used to make an insta fold in the past, i now am prepared to play back & go allin if i think it's the right move...regardless of the result, & this is certainly an area of my game that wasn't perhaps there 2 years ago.
     obviously the 'allin' move is our big weapon & if used well wins us chips & games, but can also work against us some sessions too. I remember two sessions recently when going allin i ran into AA 4 times both times & lost each game.  lol
    I think the £5 level is slightly more aggressive & players go allin alot earlier than at the £3 level, especially around or on the bubble stages, & with a very wide range of hands too, which i never realised until quite recently.
    i always thought players had to have a 'good hand' to do so, but now i know that isn't the case at all.
    it's a case of any two cards alot of the time.
    also atacking the shortie is now key for me & being even more agressive on the bubble, as any weakness is pounced upon very quickly.
    I can't give away all my secrets, but there are a number of things i have learnt very recently, which of course you know already  lol
    playing less tables is also helping & I now think more about each move I make & what moves my opponents might make back.
    i never used to do this previously & used to simply 'play the cards'  & i think this has also helped my game improve.
    still a long way to go & the challenge to improve & finally beat the £5's will never leave me.

• edited November 2014
    Fantastic achievent Dev always enjoy playing on your tables. I wish i had the patients like you. It sounds like your continually studying DYMs. Good luck i'm sure you don't need it.Looking forward to hearing about your next challenge.
  • edited November 2014
    Fantastic achievent Dev always enjoy playing on your tables. I wish i had the patients like you. It sounds like your continually studying DYMs. Good luck i'm sure you don't need it.Looking forward to hearing about your next challenge.
    Posted by spinky6108
    Many thanks mate...much appreciated,
    always good playing you too..except when i have JJ & you have AA  lol
    best wishes,
    dev
    ps; i only watch when i'm in the mood which isn't that often, but it gives me notes on players.
    as to the £11's only watched a couple of times but you do see moves that aren't made at the £3 & £5 levels so i think it is worth a look at from time to time :)
  • edited November 2014
    day 154  friday  14/11/14   day off
    day 155  saturday 15/11/14

£5 & £3  6 tables....

WON £11.40  B/R £518.89  PTS 13.10  £5 GAMES  W 4  L 0 TOTAL W 132  L 99 PROFIT +£49.50

I think there must be some karma today after my last session, where I went 0-4 & 1-6 down   :)
    found some good spots to get it in where I could have been called & been at the races, but as we all know it's easy going all-in first & not so easy calling with marginal holdings.
  • edited November 2014
    day 155  saturday  15/11/14

£5 & £3   6 tables...

WON £0.80  B/R £519.69  PTS 1404 £5 GAMES W 4 L 4 TOTAL W 136 L 103 PROFIT +£45.50

nothing very exciting here, no big win or loss either way so let's move on to the next session.
  • edited November 2014
    I was speaking to a DYM reg mate of mine the other day who said there is a noticeable (albeit small) jump in standard from £3s to £5s, I was just wondering what you actively do to improve your game?

I remember a quote I read from a sicko ages ago that was something along the lines of 'if you can't look back and think, god I was sh!t 6 months ago, then you probably aint doing enough work on your game'.

Can you pin point things you do better now than you did 3, 4, 5, 6+ months ago?

Imo it's good to list down the things you think you've improved at, and importantly, the things you still need to do a lot of work on (if you think there aren't any, you'll be wrong). It's good for confidence (recognising the things you've got better at) and it's good to keep you focussed (keeping track of everything you need to improve on).
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £519.69)..profit from £5 games...£45.50:
    I was speaking to a DYM reg mate of mine the other day who said there is a noticeable (albeit small) jump in standard from £3s to £5s, I was just wondering what you actively do to improve your game? I remember a quote I read from a sicko ages ago that was something along the lines of 'if you can't look back and think, god I was sh!t 6 months ago, then you probably aint doing enough work on your game'. Can you pin point things you do better now than you did 3, 4, 5, 6+ months ago? Imo it's good to list down the things you think you've improved at, and importantly, the things you still need to do a lot of work on (if you think there aren't any, you'll be wrong). It's good for confidence (recognising the things you've got better at) and it's good to keep you focussed (keeping track of everything you need to improve on).
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Paul,
    I watch the players at the £5 & £11's taking notes & watching what the others play like.
    I am looking to try out new things in my game, which is a positive.
    with just over 200 games played this time around at the £5 level, I am happy with my progress.
    obviously the top end players give me a hard time but I expect that.
    as to the others I feel my game has improved & can now comfortably compete with them
    I am not going to give any specific areas of my game that have improved but it is better all round, i think.
    I take each day as it comes & go from there. 
    thanks for posting,

• edited November 2014
    day 155  saturday  15/11/14

£5 & £3    6-8 tables...

LOST £48.80  B/R £470.89  PTS 1630 £5 GAMES W 4 L 7 TOTAL W 140 L 110 PROFIT +£25.00

Probably in my top 5 worst sessions of all time. no complaints though as it just happens every now & then.
    I know i'll win it back so no worries.
    losing £20.50 on the £5's is bad enough, but losing £28 on the £3 games on top of that shows how bad tonight really was for me.
    anyway, i won't be losing any sleep over it, as i'm only playing with money won not money deposited.
    not sure if i need to make any changes to my strategy or just put it down as a bad night at the office, might have to give it some thought.
    will still continue with the £5's as long as i am in profit, so still have 5 buy-ins to play with.

ps; basically lost the best part of £80 in the last 2 days which wipes out all of this months profit, which isn't great but just shows how much you can lose even at these levels, which is why good brm has to be used.

• edited November 2014
    Well you probably don't need to make changes to your overall strat but that was the point of my post really, there will ALWAYS be things you need to tweak/improve here and there. If your ROI is 3% that's good, but you can do stuff to make it 5%, if it's 5% that's good but you can do stuff to make it higher etc.

Obv there's a cap on what ROI you can achieve in games like this with relatively small edges but obviously you're no where near playing perfect (that's not a dig, just the way it is).

It's up to you if you don't wanna disclose them here but imo you should write down the answers to those questions in my first post (even if you keep them private), for your own benefit. One of the most important things when it comes to improving is to be really honest with yourself and admit the areas that you're weak at, cos they're the most important areas to work on first. If you honestly don't know what the leaks in your game are, that's where it becomes a good idea to discuss it with some good regs (better than you ideally) or post some HHs in here for advice, can't remember the last time you've posted a HH but there must be some spots you struggle with. Better than soldiering on in the dark.
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Dev, maybe this diary is working against you a little, giving others an insight of how you play, and how to play against you... maybe people at £3.30 level dont read it and people playing £5.50 do, played you a few times over last couple of days (loads over the years) i feel maybe your game is a little predictable (unless your bluffing more than i think) and regs at £5.50 have picked up on this............Good luck with your challenge mate Gary
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £470.89) wooops again...profit from £5 games...£25.00:
    Hi Dev, maybe this diary is working against you a little, giving others an insight of how you play, and how to play against you... maybe people at £3.30 level dont read it and people playing £5.50 do, played you a few times over last couple of days (loads over the years) i feel maybe your game is a little predictable (unless your bluffing more than i think) and regs at £5.50 have picked up on this............Good luck with your challenge mate Gary
    Posted by Largearce
    Hi Gary,
    yes you could well be right mate & I never even gave that a thought, & thanks for pointing that out to me :)
    My game has been pretty ABC up to the £3 level especially but has given me good results.
    maybe i am realising that it doesn't work at the £5 level...at long last, lol 
    I have been watching you guys though & also playing against you all again, & am hopefully making the necessary changes to my game almost by the day at the moment it seems. lol
    I know I still have a way to go yet before I start crushing these higher levels but you have to start somewhere & if it means I am losing money to learn then that's what I will do...(not that it's real money, only money won, so I don't count that as the same thing.)  lol
    I am looking at it as a long term investment right now, & seeing this as my best way forward as you can watch all day long until the cows come home, but I have always found the best way of improving(at anything), is to just get in there & give it a go, & that is my thought right now.
    obviously I need a cut off point as to where to stop, & that I am making at £300, so if b/r drops to there, I will grind it back up at the £3 level again...hopefully & repeat.
    I am not fully rolled as I would like to be but I have enough to play with, how long it lasts remains to be seen :)
    anyway, there it is, my new plan(if you can call it that  lol) is in operation as of today, (post to follow).

thanks for posting Gary, as always any help is gratefully received... & yes, I do need it -:)
    run good,
    dev

• edited November 2014
    day 156  sunday  16/11/14

2x£11  6x£5  1x£3

LOST £8.30  B/R £462.59  PTS 1736   £11 GAMES W 1 L 1  PROFIT -£2.00   
                                                      £5 GAMES W 3 L 3 TOTAL W 143 L 113 PROFIT +£22.00

I've outlined my new plan in previous post, so no need to go over that.
    Reg'd for an £11 turbo by mistake, aaagh which I lost on bubble, but fortunately won 2nd proper game where I had trip something or other,(might have been KKK), opponent had flush all along but luckily board paired on river giving me the f/house.
    but after what i've been through recently I think I maybe deserve a little luck. anyway today sees another loss on paper,
    but I enjoyed all the games & yes I did 'make some moves' some worked, some didn't...
    especially my sm blind all-in with 22 v big blinds QQ, ( where are the ducks when you need them hey,  lol)

I guess I am going to see the b/r dropping over the next few days or more, so my challenge progress is on hold for now.
    I did say at the beginning that there was no time scale on this challenge, so please all bear with me right now as this has become more of a transition period right now, more than anything else.
    please feel free to make any comments as you see fit, as they are always welcomed & yes I do read them all, & take notice of what you all think, even if I might see things differently to some of you, at times.

not sure if i'll play again today, will see how I feel later.
    hope you all have a good day anyway,
    see some of you at the tables soon,
    best wishes all,
    dev