You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM/CASH challenge.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Unlucky with the ducks!! xx
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £462.59)..profit from £11 games....-£2.00 profit from £5 games...+£22.00:
    Unlucky with the ducks!! xx
    Posted by mrsduck
    ty, obviously haven't got the quack of them, like you x
  • edited November 2014
    day 156  sunday  16/11/14

part 2...

3x£5 & £3  4 tables...

WON £11.60  B/R £474.19  PTS 1784 £5 GAMES W 2 L 1 TOTAL W 145 L 114 PROFIT +£25.50

Better session all round, even won on the £3 too, so hope my luck's changed back again. lol

not too sure now about playing the £11's, might have been a bit of tilt  there somewhere, so might just continue with the £3's & £5's for now.
    I'm now thinking it might be better to crack the £5's first before taking on the £11's, & the way that's going could be here until next xmas 2015  lol
    anyway, got some back from earlier & showing a small profit for the day, so let's see what the next few days bring & go from there I think.

• edited November 2014
    day  157  monday  17/11/14

3x£5 & £3  6 tables...

LOST £5.50  B/R £468.69  PTS 1829 £5 GAMES W 2 L 1 TOTAL W 147 L 115 PROFIT +£29.00

couldn't win an egg & spoon race let alone a 60/40 at the moment  :)
    only upside another 2-1 win on the £5 front which is building up nicely...again.  lol

• edited November 2014
    day 158  tuesday  18/11/14

2x£5 & 2x£3   4 tables...

WON £8.40  B/R £477.09  PTS 1845  £5 GAMES W 2 L 0 TOTAL W 149 L 115 PROFIT +£38.00

just a quickie after work,
    better session, hard fought 2nd £5 game, bubble went on for ever but got there in the end...phew.
    profit going up nicely...again. only one thing on my mind... can I keep it this time?  :)
    edit; or should that read, what am I going to do to keep it this time?  :)
  • edited November 2014
    day 159  wednesday  19/11/14

£5 & £3  4 tables...

LOST £8.10 B/R £468.99  PTS 1916  £5 GAMES W 4 L 3 TOTAL W 153 L 118 PROFIT +£39.50

lost won lost won lost is how the last 5 sessions show, so getting nowhere slowly, lol
    another small win on the £5 games so not all bad news anyway -:)
    feel i'm playing ok tbh, just need some run good to get things moving again.

• edited November 2014
    day 160  thursday  20/11/14

2x£5 & 2x£3    4 tables...

WON £14.40  B/R £483.39  PTS 1932  £5 GAMES W 2 L 0 TOTAL W 155 L 118 PROFIT +£48.50

hooooray, perfect mini-session.
    at last some run good rather than run bad which so makes a difference.
    £5 games still holding up so delighted with that.
  • edited November 2014

Nice session Dev. 

I still can't get my head around why you don't play on when all is going well though. 

BUT, it's working :)

Keep it up!
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £483.39).... profit from £5 games...+£48.50:
    Nice session Dev.  I still can't get my head around why you don't play on when all is going well though.  BUT, it's working :) Keep it up!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    thanks mate,
    yes, I see your point & maybe I should play a few more games.
    I don't want to get drawn in to long sessions though as playing almost every day it can drain you, as it did on challenge 1.
    if I can get away with a quickie, then I take it.
    just because I have won the first 4 games doesn't automatically mean I'll win the next however many games, as poker tends to go in little runs, as I'm sure you know.
    yes, I do tend to play longer sessions when I go down early doors & most of the time I grind it back, but the flip side is when you don't you have a bad session then it can be expensive, as last saturday night was.
    anyway, it is what it is & I'm happy with how things are going, especially on the £5 front, where I am making some good progress...at long last.  :)

edit; playing longer sessions is possibly/certanly more profitable, providing you are beating the level/levels, i'll admit that.
           I am still finding my feet at the £5 level, hence another reason for caution...right now.
    yes, i have 'booked the win' pretty much throughout this challenge & given my reasons why.
           once I prove to myself(more than anything) that i can beat this level, obviously my confidence will increase, (as it is with each session i 'win') & I will play more games, but right now that is a big risk for me & even a £1.50 win is a good result.
           I play to win as many sessions as possible in the shortest time possible,(as tonight)....right now. that doesn't mean i will always be doing this in the future though.
    let's say for example i can win 7/10 sessions & lose 3/10, as long as the profit is greater than the losses, then I can never lose & my b/r always moves forwards each month anyway, at a nice consistant ammount.
     burn out is a big factor when playing dym's, & this also guards against that. playing 3 4 5 hour sessions day after day month after month, can take it's toll, & at 55 i'm no spring chicken now, lol....closer to a 'lame duck' possibly, (couldn't resist that one lol),  so that is another factor.
        anyway, just wanted to post this for you all.

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £483.39).... profit from £5 games...+£48.50:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £483.39).... profit from £5 games...+£48.50 : thanks mate, yes, I see your point & maybe I should play a few more games. I don't want to get drawn in to long sessions though as playing almost every day it can drain you, as it did on challenge 1. if I can get away with a quickie, then I take it. just because I have won the first 4 games doesn't automatically mean I'll win the next however many games, as poker tends to go in little runs, as I'm sure you know. yes, I do tend to play longer sessions when I go down early doors & most of the time I grind it back, but the flip side is when you don't you have a bad session then it can be expensive, as last saturday night was. anyway, it is what it is & I'm happy with how things are going, especially on the £5 front, where I am making some good progress...at long last.  :)
    Posted by devonfish5
    Think most men will agree with this.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £483.39).... profit from £5 games...+£48.50 : Think most men will agree with this.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ha Ha,
  • edited November 2014
    day 161  friday  21/11/14

3x£5 & £3   4 tables...

WON £8.30  B/R £491.69  PTS 1959  £5 GAMES W 2 L 1 TOTAL W 157 L 119 PROFIT +£52.00

that's 6 wins in a row i make it on the £5 games, so happy with that & profit is back over £50 again... hoooray.
    really unlucky losing my final £3 game but did nothing wrong, so at least that's something.
  • edited November 2014
    Nice work Ian

Have a good weekend
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £491.69).... profit from £5 games...+£52.00:
    Nice work Ian Have a good weekend
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick...

you too mate.
  • edited November 2014
    dat 162  saturday  22/11/14

5x£5 & £3   4 tables...

WON £7.30  B/R £498.99 PTS 1996 £5 GAMES W 3 L 2 TOTAL W 160 L 121 PROFIT +£54.50

Another nice little win, so keeps the 'winning streak' going  lol

probably play another little session later, see how I feel,
    run good people
  • edited November 2014
    day 163  sunday  23/11/14

1x£5 & 1x£3  2 tables....

WON £1.20  B/R £500.19  PTS 2004 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 161 L 121 PROFIT +£59.00

another quickie, just wanted to see the £500 back on screen again, & plan was to stop if i won the £5 game & keep the profit column moving forwards...which I believe is the highest so far.
  • edited November 2014
    nice one devon, good results, getting bigger al the time,

what is next. 1000 too 5000 maybe????
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £500.19).... profit from £5 games...+£59.00:
    nice one devon, good results, getting bigger al the time, what is next. 1000 too 5000 maybe????
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Thanks Chris.
    good luck with building up your bankroll too.

still a way to go here yet, but getting close to 1/2 way..again, is always a good place to be as once you get there then each winning session is taking me closer to the finish line, much like a marathon must feel like with each passing mile I guess.  :)

yes, £500 to £5000 has been my thought for a few months now & if i take it on will possibly be my last dym challenge & a nice way to finish I think.
    I am seeing how the £5 games go right now & if i can get that profit up to over the £100 mark, then I think that at long last I might just be on my way to cracking that level & can then start thinking about the £11's which will be my next big challenge to come, but that will be for my next challenge not this one as I would ideally like a b/r of £1000 before I give them a proper go.
    anyway, there you are,my plans are in place, just the simple job of carrying them out now,  ha ha.

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £500.19).... profit from £5 games...+£59.00:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £500.19).... profit from £5 games...+£59.00 : I have no doubt whatsoever that you could do the 1000-5000 challenge devonfish But the last win you "booked" was £1.20 so at that rate it would take you close on 9 years ! This is just a little kick up the backside to make you put more volume in when winning because i feel like this is the only thing that your challenge is lacking in at the moment and its also a point which alot of other players have brought up If you can play for hours on end when your losing this should be enough proof for you to see that you could be doing the same when your winning because doing one without the other has got to be a negative in the long run by giving yourself every chance of big losses but denying yourself any chance at big wins. One of my favourite diarys this, you seem a really nice guy and i wish you every luck with it
    Posted by gran23
    Thanks Gran,
    that last win you mention i only booked it for 2 reasons, 1 i wanted to keep my £5 games winning run going & 2 i just wanted to see the £500 on screen.
    yes, i do need to play more volume but at the moment my whole challenge(& any future ones?) relies on me winning at the £5 level(& then higher?), so any win i book right now is for that reason alone.
    once i hit the £100 profit column(hopefully) then i can/will start to become more adventurous & open up more £5 tables, but right now it's not an option.
    i've been here before remember & know all the pitfalls, so i am not going to be making too many of those mistakes again.
    small wins are good right now, better than big losses anyway as i've already had 2 this month alone costing me dearly.
    yes, i am denying myself any chance of those big wins atm, but they will come, i just need to keep my patience a little longer.

• edited November 2014
    day 164  monday  24/11.14

1x£5 & 1x£3   2 tables...

WON £7.20 B/R £507.39 PTS 2012  £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 162 L 121 PROFIT +£63.50

another perfect mini-session. card dead for 1st 3-4 levels on both games,(apart from my old favourite KK that is  lol),  but kept my patience & found some spots when it matters & keeps my 'lucky streak' going  lol

edit; have you noticed how the word 'patience' (once i corrected the spelling), has popped up twice in the last two posts?
           maybe something for a few of you to think about.
  • edited November 2014
    day 165  tuesday  25/11/14

1x£5 & 1x£3   2 tables...

WON £1.20 + 22P FROM 10AM FREEROLL(17/237)  B/R £508.81 PTS 2020

£5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 163 L 121 PROFIT +£68.00

did well to win £5 as lost a big chunk when getting it all-in on turn with ejut calling me with flush draw & 1 card to come, of course he hits.
    £3 game aipf on bubble with ax called by q 10 & hits his 10, standard 60/40 lose as per.
    only booked the win as won £5 game & as soon as the profit column shows me £100,(I am now quietly confident that I can make this), then i will be playing 2x£5 & 2x£3  as my opening gambit.  :)

• edited November 2014
    day 166 wednesday  26/11/14

£5 & £3  6 tables...

WON £4.50  B/R £513.31  PTS 2065 £5 GAMES W 3 L 3 TOTAL W 166 L 124 PROFIT +£65.00

so my long winning streak on the £5 games finally comes to an end. :(
    after going down 0-2 & winning the next 3 my luck finally ran out in game 6 losing to my old favourites KK not once but twice both times on the bubble...what are the odds of that?  lol
    anyway, still won the session so it's not all doom n gloom  :)

edit; forgot to mention also lost 2 other games running in to KK both times..

DO I NOT LIKE KINGS!!!   lol

• edited November 2014
    day 167  thursday  27/11/14

1x£5 & 3x£3   4 tables...

WON £6.60  B/R £519.91 PTS 2079 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 167 L 124 PROFIT +£69.50

nice session, lucky to cash in £5 game but lost an earlier hand with A9 TO A6 & that reversed v sm stack in final bubble hand, but you take what you get & go with it, don't you.

• edited November 2014
    day  168  friday  28/11/14

£5 & £3   6 tables...

LOST £17.40  B/R £502.51 PTS 2333 £5 GAMES W 16 L 18 TOTAL W 183 L 142 PROFIT +£42.50

another chasing session after going down early. not as bad as it was an hour or so before i finished as I was around £40 down at that stage, so feels like a good result in the end, if losing £17 can ever be good.

anyway, I felt I played ok which is the main thing when losing, the run i had was horrible at times, but it's all part of the game, so have to take it on the chin. only puts me back 4 days to where I was so no big deal.
    I've had a good run for the last 7-10 days or so booking my wins, so i guess these sessions are inevitable from time to time & I accept them when they come.

ps; still £24 up on the £5 games this month even after tonights big loss.
         if someone had said I would be winning anything at all after the number of games played, I would take it, so no need to make too many changes just yet, still going to go session by session & how I feel.
    yes, I do need to be more adventurous when winning I guess & play a few more games, so maybe that will come & yes I do listen to what everyone says, but as I keep saying, 'I've been here before' & being careful is better than being broke...
    trust me.  -:)

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £502.51).... profit from £5 games...+£42.50:
    Dont want to keep rambling on about the same stuff devonfish but your doing it yet again Playing very little when your winning and playing long sessions when losing, just check the poker points on winning days v losing days and the picture becomes alot more clear I think a better idea for you would be to give yourself a set time limit when your playing (say 2-3 hours) and only look at your results at the time you finish your session then that way you will get away from this thing of booking small wins and denying yourself a chance of biggers ones because you will have both overtime and at the mo your only giving yourself a chance at one of them (the bad one). GL
    Posted by gran23
    Thanks again Gran,
    Your time limit idea is an option & something for me to think about.(but i've tried it before playing cash & found it hard sticking to it  :)
    I know what you are saying about how my long sessions are the losing ones. in a nutshelll... my £5 game b/r that i am giving myself here is whatever the profit column is saying, so right now it's £42.50, so any win i get i book to increase it.
    as long as my 'booking the wins' are greater than my big losses then all is good...right?
    and even with 3 biggish losses this month, i am still in profit.
    i have played many tables & hours playing the £5's during my last challenge, & finished up around break-even.
    i do not want to simply repeat that this time, hence my new approach this time of 'booking the wins' which like it or not has worked throughout this challenge so far.
    it also helps keep my sessions on the shorter side, which i now want.
    yes i can play the longer ones of course.
    had i won just 2 more games y'day & finished the session 18-16 rather than 16-18 it would have looked a totally different session, i would have only lost £7 on the £5 front & finished the session winning by a few pounds, so what you are seeing doesn't always reflect what might be going on, especially where the playing side is concerned.
    hope this gives you an insight in to my thinking.
    let's give this a few more weeks & see how it pans out, if i need to make any changes i will, right now i don't think i do.
    thanks again mate for your thoughts, as i say, i do take everything said on board,
    run good,
    dev

• edited November 2014
    day 169  saturday 29/11/14

3x£5 & £3   4 tables...

WON £5.60 + 18p from 10am freeroll.

B/R £508.29  PTS 2357 £5 GAMES W 2 L 1 TOTAL W 185 L 143 PROFIT +£46.00

nice little winning session after last night.
    I'm sticking to my game plan & that will only change if & when i think it needs to, right now i'm happy with my game & my slow progress.
    It is a case of one step forwards & two steps back right now, once that reverses things will come across in a new light, hopefully. 
    Remember this is a marathon & I'm just about 1/2 way & yes I've hit that wall right now, but don't panic...I'm not, things will be just fine, trust me..."I do know what I'm doing" as Del Boy famously once said, ha ha.
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Ian,

Nice to see your doing well.

Think we played a couple of games yesterday.

Just a quick one for you .If you are free to play maybe try and get big sessions in later at night Thursday through to Sunday.

I use these to warm up if time permits most nights.

I will load between 6 and 12 tables at 7pm and the same depending on mtts at 12pm to wind down.

The average running time in the later ones are a good 10-15 minutes quicker.Which is good because they are quite a lot easier.

• edited November 2014
    Keep up the good work Ian, excellent progress so far.

I thought of you when listening to a poker podcast a couple of days ago. They had a discussion on the topic of 'locking up a win' which was very interesting. You and others here will probably find it useful.

It was about 10 minutes into episode 99 of The Thinking Poker Podcast.

The link is below. It should be OK because there's no advertising or anything like that. If the link gets deleted you'll easily find it using a search engine. Run well.

http://www.thinkingpoker.net/2014/10/episode-99-ben-sulsky/
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £508.29).... profit from £5 games...+£46.00:
    Hi Ian, Nice to see your doing well. Think we played a couple of games yesterday. Just a quick one for you .If you are free to play maybe try and get big sessions in later at night Thursday through to Sunday. I use these to warm up if time permits most nights. I will load between 6 and 12 tables at 7pm and the same depending on mtts at 12pm to wind down. The average running time in the later ones are a good 10-15 minutes quicker.Which is good because they are quite a lot easier.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Hi Pat,
    thanks mate, only trouble is once you get to my age anything past 9 o'clock counts as a late night,  ha ha.
    I might give them a go mate, cheers, just as long as i don't see you reg'd  lol
    run good,
    Ian
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £508.29).... profit from £5 games...+£46.00:
    Keep up the good work Ian, excellent progress so far. I thought of you when listening to a poker podcast a couple of days ago. They had a discussion on the topic of 'locking up a win' which was very interesting. You and others here will probably find it useful. It was about 10 minutes into episode 99 of The Thinking Poker Podcast. The link is below. It should be OK because there's no advertising or anything like that. If the link gets deleted you'll easily find it using a search engine. Run well. http://www.thinkingpoker.net/2014/10/episode-99-ben-sulsky/
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Hi Gary,
    thanks mate, just listened to it, & yes it was interesting...
    is it going to stop me from 'booking the win' though?
    What do you think?

hope all is good with you & Leah, give her my regards x