You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM/CASH challenge.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    day 200 thursday 1/1/15  day off
    day 201 friday  2/1/15  day off
    day 202 saturday 3/1/15  day off
    day 203 sunday  4/1/15  day off
    day 204 monday 5/1/15

2x£5 & 1x£3

WON £1.70 B/R £687.96 PTS 13 £5 GAMES W 1 L 1 TOTAL W 318 L 246 PROFIT +£78.00

SO AFTER 18 £5 WINS IN A ROW THE RUN FINALLY COMES TO AN END.... aaaagh

shame but it had to finish sometime... reached bubble aipf with AQ BB has AK  meh, 

ok, so now that's out the way, feel fresh after a 5 day break over the holidays, & ready to play some poker again.
    problems today on sky with players being away, so will take the rest of the day off & resume again tomorrow.

• edited January 2015
    Never mind Dev 18 games is some going.

And it's another banked win day!

GL - If you have time for some grinding this month there is the SNG TSP thing to consider - may be worth it next week after your break.
  • edited January 2015
    If you can win 18 £5 games in a row then I suspect your game is good enough to move up and start adding tables! GL
  • edited January 2015
     just remembered, I put a £40 bet on Phil Taylor to win the darts @ 15/8 so still have that in running
      net return if he wins £115
       so profit was really £203.43  gl me.

edit[ 5/1/15  poor old Phil Taylor had double troubles which robbed me of a nice return, but had a good run 4 me money.

im new here, but have read this post for a while and am a little confused. pardon my naivity but a dym challenge is for poker right? as in the title? yet you were ready to include a £40 bet return on a darts match which ultimately did not win, so is the £40 stake for this bet  taken off your winnings?  in fact it actually says "so profit was really £203.43...please can you just confirm that you did take off the £40 stake

keep up the good work

zac
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck dev and thanks for the advice you give me recently, it helped loads mate
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £687.96).... profit from £5 games...+£78.00 unbeaten run finishes at 18 games:
    Never mind Dev 18 games is some going. And it's another banked win day! GL - If you have time for some grinding this month there is the SNG TSP thing to consider - may be worth it next week after your break.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks Phantom,
    yeah, happy with 18 wins mate...better than 18 losses which I've probably come close to in the past,  ha ha.
    as to the TSP sng promo, don't think I'll bother as I was chatting to evilpingu y'day & he had played 900 games already, lol
    not sure of the promo detals but I'll settle for a nice easy month I think, & tbh I've picked up a bug, coughing, sore throat, etc, so not going to be playing as much as I originally hoped for.
    cheers mate, have a good month yourself,
    dev
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £687.96).... profit from £5 games...+£78.00 unbeaten run finishes at 18 games:
    If you can win 18 £5 games in a row then I suspect your game is good enough to move up and start adding tables! GL
    Posted by bbMike
    Thanks Mike,
    might/probably will try the £11's after this challenge is over & my b/r is over £1000 (the minimum I would give myself).
    happy playing the £5's for now though mate, which I am at last starting to get to grips with, as my profit shows.
    as to the 18 game winning streak... nice, but still needed a fair run of luck to achieve that, and may never happen again  lol
    but then again.... :)

• edited January 2015
     just remembered, I put a £40 bet on Phil Taylor to win the darts @ 15/8 so still have that in running   net return if he wins £115    so profit was really £203.43  gl me. edit[ 5/1/15  poor old Phil Taylor had double troubles which robbed me of a nice return, but had a good run 4 me money. im new here, but have read this post for a while and am a little confused. pardon my naivity but a dym challenge is for poker right? as in the title? yet you were ready to include a £40 bet return on a darts match which ultimately did not win, so is the £40 stake for this bet  taken off your winnings?  in fact it actually says "so profit was really £203.43...please can you just confirm that you did take off the £40 stake keep up the good work zac
    Posted by U_KNOW_ME
    Hi Zac,
    thanks mate,
    yes this is a poker challenge where all games played are DYM's but I also play the odd freerolls too.
    I do have the odd darts or even golf bet from time to time, & all those bets are taken from my poker bankroll, so basically any losses or wins are added or taken off that b/r figure that you see at the top of the page.
    yes, I took the £40 from my poker account, so Decembers profit showed up as £163.43.
    but my real profit would have been £203.43 had I not made that bet,
    so everthing is as it should be & my running b/r of ££687.96 is correct.

shame Taylor lost though as my b/r would now be reading as £802.96  :(

• edited January 2015
    Good luck dev and thanks for the advice you give me recently, it helped loads mate
    Posted by 1281
    Thanks 1281...
    I actually gave some good advice...don't remember that...that must be a first.  lol

• edited January 2015
    day 205  tuesday  6/1/15  day off
    day 206  wednesday  7/1.15

1x£5 & 1x£3

WON £1.20 B/R £689.16 PTS 21 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 319 L 246 PROFIT +£82.50

not feeling great so keeping sessions short. still got poker points to come later so probably call it a day.

received £16.51 points bonus  B/R £705.67

• edited January 2015
    day 207 thursday  8/1/15  day off
    day 208 friday  9/1/15  day off
    day 209 saturday  10/1/15

1x£5 & 1x£3

WON £1.20 B/R £706.87 PTS 29 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 320 L 246 PROFIT +£87.00

still feeling rough so just another quickie. can't buy a £3 win atm but the £5's are still going well so that's the main thing I guess.
    got that £100 £5 game profit target in my sights now...famous last words, no doubt.

• edited January 2015
    day 210 sunday 11/1/15

1x£5 & 1x£3

WON £1.20 B/R £708.07 PTS 37 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 321 L 246 PROFIT +£91.50

... & so the pattern continues  lol

• edited January 2015
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sainthelen Small blind   150.00 150.00 1272.50
    devonfish5 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1025.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

barneyboy Fold        
    x
    All-in   967.50 1417.50 0.00
    sainthelen Fold        
    devonfish5 Call   667.50 2085.00 357.50
    devonfish5 Show
    • K

x
    Show

Flop

• J

Turn

River

devonfish5 Win Pair of 8s 2085.00   2442.50
  • edited January 2015
    made this call which gave me my last £5 game win.
    not sure if it is mathematically correct or not.
    this was my chance to knock player x out & cash. had I folded I would have been small stack.
    my gut feeling was to insta call so I did.
    I would have folded here 3-4 months ago before moving up to the £5 level, & shows how my game & thinking has changed/impoved hopefully.
    I wonder if you would have called here?
  • edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £708.07).... profit from £5 games...+£91.50:
    made this call which gave me my last £5 game win. not sure if it is mathematically correct or not. this was my chance to knock player x out & cash. had I folded I would have been small stack. my gut feeling was to insta call so I did. I would have folded here 3-4 months ago before moving up to the £5 level, & shows how my game & thinking has changed/impoved hopefully. I wonder if you would have called here?
    Posted by devonfish5

Soz cross posts.  Good call obvs.   Not sure what I'd have done tbh.

• edited January 2015
    day 211 monday 12/1/15  day off
    day 212 tuesday  13/1/15

1x£5 & 1x£3

LOST £8.80 B/R £699.27 PTS 45 £5 GAMES W 0 L 1 TOTAL W 321 L 247 PROFIT +£86.00

looks like the £5 game run good is officially over...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    woooosh Small blind   50.00 50.00 1925.00
    x
    Big blind   100.00 150.00 2152.50
      Your hole cards

devonfish5 Raise   200.00 350.00 1300.00
    zombate Call   200.00 550.00 1195.00
    Lairgboy Fold        
    ACESTEVE Call   200.00 750.00 3517.50
    woooosh Fold        
    x
    Call   100.00 850.00 2052.50
    Flop

x
    Check        
    devonfish5 Bet   100.00 950.00 1200.00
    zombate Fold        
    ACESTEVE Fold        
    x
    All-in   2052.50 3002.50 0.00
    devonfish5 All-in   1200.00 4202.50 0.00
    x
    Unmatched bet   752.50 3450.00 752.50
    x
    Show

devonfish5 Show

Turn

• K

River

• A

x
    Win Straight to the 7 3450.00   4202.50
  • edited January 2015

'Interesting' bet sizing Dev ;)

• edited January 2015
    Either shove or fold.

But since you have played it you may have to find the fold after the all in. As usually they have hit there 7, have a over pair or hit a set. But in this case its even worse at they have hit a straight.

By betting 100 you are showing weakness.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £699.27).... profit from £5 games...+£86.00:
    'Interesting' bet sizing Dev ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    yep...
    you've heard of the X faxtor no doubt...
    I call this the Y factor...why the hell did I do that  -:)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £699.27).... profit from £5 games...+£86.00:
    Either shove or fold. But since you have played it you may have to find the fold after the all in. As usually they have hit there 7, have a over pair or hit a set. But in this case its even worse at they have hit a straight. By betting 100 you are showing weakness.
    Posted by stuarty117
    yes, think the shove or fold is good.
    not really feeling it y'day & really shouldn't have been playing Stuart.
    anyway, i was never folding here not even against a 7 as I'm still up & down & can hit a 6 so around 11 outs x2 =44%
    the fact that this player called with 63 shows he could have had just about any 2 which is how it goes sometimes.
    another thing I am learning about right now playing the £5's specifically is about the 'grey area,' that is the bit in-between the obvious black & white straightforward decisions which we all know about without even thinking.
    playing very abc is fine, but for me anyway I have found doesn't win at the £5's, so I have been experimenting with different ideas & trying out new plays...as here, which may or may not always work.
    you have to take a few more chances I have found especially on the bubble, which again sometimes work, sometimes don't, hence maybe my 18 run winning streak...which may be followed by an 18 run losing streak, who knows.
    The one thing I do know though is abc doesn't work here for me anyway,so I guess I will continue looking for those new plays to work on, & obviously will make some mistakes along the way.
    I have bad days like everyone does & y'day was one, but at least I learnt something from it & didn't go chasing either, as I would have done a little while ago.

• edited January 2015
    day 213  wednesday  14/1/15

1x£5 & 3x£3..

WON £0.60 B/R £699.87 PTS 59 £5 GAMES W 1 L 0 TOTAL W 322 L 247 PROFIT +£90.50

did plan on playing more games but lost internet for about 5 mins so decided not to.
    anyway, got the £5 win so all ends ok.

• edited January 2015
    Looks like you're struggling to beat the £3 level Dev.... ;)
  • ommomm
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £708.07).... profit from £5 games...+£91.50:
    made this call which gave me my last £5 game win. not sure if it is mathematically correct or not. this was my chance to knock player x out & cash. had I folded I would have been small stack. my gut feeling was to insta call so I did. I would have folded here 3-4 months ago before moving up to the £5 level, & shows how my game & thinking has changed/impoved hopefully. I wonder if you would have called here?
    Posted by devonfish5
    H Dev

Im far from an expert and I'm sure someone will say m wrong but I'm not sure about the call on this one, to my mind it's much better to push with K8 than be the caller, against this hand we r roughly 45%, if we put a range on him are we ever really going to be much more than 50%? I'm assuming for us to be profitable we need to be at least 55%+. I know if we don't call we are the short stack but I think we can wait and find a better spot and be the aggressor. Like I sad I'm not an expert and I may be talking rubbish but the hand made me think about what I would do.

Great diary and I admire your determination to reach your goals. Pretty sure I couldn't grind out the result like u do. Might see u on the DYM's at some point. 
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £699.87).... profit from £5 games...+£90.50:
    Looks like you're struggling to beat the £3 level Dev.... ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    just a temporary blip...no need to panic -:)

my £700 b/r says I'm doing ok -:)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £708.07).... profit from £5 games...+£91.50 : H Dev Im far from an expert and I'm sure someone will say m wrong but I'm not sure about the call on this one, to my mind it's much better to push with K8 than be the caller, against this hand we r roughly 45%, if we put a range on him are we ever really going to be much more than 50%? I'm assuming for us to be profitable we need to be at least 55%+. I know if we don't call we are the short stack but I think we can wait and find a better spot and be the aggressor. Like I sad I'm not an expert and I may be talking rubbish but the hand made me think about what I would do. Great diary and I admire your determination to reach your goals. Pretty sure I couldn't grind out the result like u do. Might see u on the DYM's at some point. 
    Posted by omm
    Thank you omm,
    yeah, it's not everyone's idea of a good call I guess, but with only 3.5 bb's & on the sm blind next hand if I pass here, there is no guarantee of finding a better hand to go with.
    yes I can bluff but with only 3 bb's left that itself is a risk & getting called now we are never in good shape.
    sometimes, not always we have to take a risk & knocking a player out to cash is always a good risk, imo.
    I have passed in similar spots to this & regretted it, so now I don't as much, but like everything it is all done in moderation & mixing up our play is never a bad thing, if not we can become predictable & exploitable, imo.
    we can't always expect the others to do our dirty work for us either, which would be nice obviously, & as always I go with my gut feeling at the time, & here it said call.
    best wishes,
    dev

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £708.07).... profit from £5 games...+£91.50 : H Dev Im far from an expert and I'm sure someone will say m wrong but I'm not sure about the call on this one, to my mind it's much better to push with K8 than be the caller, against this hand we r roughly 45%, if we put a range on him are we ever really going to be much more than 50%? I'm assuming for us to be profitable we need to be at least 55%+. I know if we don't call we are the short stack but I think we can wait and find a better spot and be the aggressor. Like I sad I'm not an expert and I may be talking rubbish but the hand made me think about what I would do. Great diary and I admire your determination to reach your goals. Pretty sure I couldn't grind out the result like u do. Might see u on the DYM's at some point. 
    Posted by omm
    been thinking about this my self y'day.
    we need to look at the big picture...
    yes we need to win 55% of all games to break even, so let's say we aim to win 60% of all games & become a winning player.
    so we need to reach the bubble & win 60 times from 100 games, (apart from the odd game with 5 players left & 2 get knocked out together, so there is no bubble)
    we know with 4 players on the bubble we are going to win 3 times from 4 (statistically)
    so we need to make the bubble 80 times from 100 games to win those 60 times..yes.
    so we are going to lose 20 times from 80 on the bubble...
    this k8 hand is possibly going to be one of those 20 times we lose
    if it's a 50/50 win for arguments sake, & if we lose yes it becomes one of the 20 expected losing hands/games for us.
    if we win it though(as I did), then it is a bonus for us & we then are in a good position as we can now afford to lose our next 50/50 at no extra loss.
    it's complicated & I'm only just getting to grips with it myself,but basically we are not facing this K8 situation 100 times in a row, where we would need to win it 55% of the time to break even
    we are facing this hand in the context of our normal 100 game cycle where we are just looking for the 60% total game wins.
    I'm still working on it & I know what I am trying to convey, it's probably not coming across that well but it all makes sense to me anyway, ha ha.
  • edited January 2015
    So you ask for advice, get advice, then dismiss advice?

If you're happy with your decision then I can't see the point in posting the hand.

Hi Dev :)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £699.87).... profit from £5 games...+£90.50:
    So you ask for advice, get advice, then dismiss advice? If you're happy with your decision then I can't see the point in posting the hand. Hi Dev :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I didn't ask for advice i just said I wonder how many of you would call here?
    simply curious, that's all....
    a simple yes or no would do.
    of course i'm happy with my decision i won didn't i?
    i posted the hand to show how my game & thinking is changing and adapting to life at the £5 level in particular.
    if i needed any advice on this hand or any other i would post it in the poker clinic, then you Stuart & all the others can rip it apart put it back together again in your own inimitable ways & tell me exactly how badly I played it & all feel wonderful about yourselves, even those players that don't have a clue about dym bubble play. :)
    oh...did i mention i won it -:)