You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM/CASH challenge.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50:
    day 220 wednesday  21/1/15  day off day 221 thursday  22/1/15 ty dohhh matt237 geldy for your comments, on to the poker... 2x£1.. WON £1.70 B/R £674.47 PTS 135 £5 GAMES TOTAL W 323 L 251 PROFIT +£67.50 back to basics today as no point playing £5 & £3 when running so bad, at least I've some chance back on the £1 level -:) probably stay there for next few days but poker is not my priority right now, so will just keep it ticking over & wait for the good times to return. It's a shame how things have gone but that's life, it doesn't always go as we would all like at times & we deal with it as best we can. I came here with good intentions & of reaching my goal, which is the only reason to continue right now. It's a shame how things have changed so much in the last 2-2.5 years or so since my first challenge, & not for the better either, but I guess we live in an ever changing world & have to try & adapt to it as we go along, & making mistakes is all part of the process, I suppose. Still we live & learn & I'll simply ignore certain people as much as is possible from now on, not because I think I'm right or they are wrong, or I'm a winning player,  simply because I don't take kindly to their attitude in general or towards me in particular. I'm all for discussing hands or anything else for that matter, you only need to go back & look at the KK situation from challenge 1 for that, where I think some of the talk between myself Dohhhh & Lambert180 got very heated, but we all put our views across in a proper manner & agreed to disagree in the end, I think. anyway, I've had my say & that's that. I'm trying to move on & focus on what matters..my poker & winning money...oh, & beating the £5 level in the process.
    Posted by devonfish5
    You have changed dev tbh.

Best of luck with your challenge, just try not to be so defensive when somebody has a different view to you on a certain hand........or simply stop posting hands if you don't want any thoughts??
  • edited January 2015
    Your name will also go on ze list...
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £681.45)....what...Dev the cash player?:
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Would be a shame, have always got on with dev. Just sad to see he has developed a bit of an attitude problem of late...........bring back the old dev!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £681.45)....what...Dev the cash player?:
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Made me lol

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : You have changed dev tbh. Best of luck with your challenge, just try not to be so defensive when somebody has a different view to you on a certain hand........or simply stop posting hands if you don't want any thoughts??
    Posted by waller02
    true mate, i've changed for sure, only defending myself against the idiots that come here telling me what i should & shouldn't do.
    as to the hands yeah, guess i'll stop posting them as i'm clearly playing them all wrong & everyone else plays such perfect poker here.
    still i get lucky every now & then i suppose so it's not all bad i guess.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : true mate, i've changed for sure, only defending myself against the idiots that come here telling me what i should & shouldn't do. as to the hands yeah, guess i'll stop posting them as i'm clearly playing them all wrong & everyone else plays such perfect poker here. still i get lucky every now & then i suppose so it's not all bad i guess.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Your tone here is the problem, can a hand not be discussed and players have opposing views? That's the great thing about poker there are a number of ways of playing hands, its why you get hand analysis. Look at all the poker forums and hands are discussed by the very best in the game. I would say it does get a bit different in DYMs as the stacks are shallower and there is a lot less play/options open and its more likely that a certain option is optimal.

Best of luck in your challenge.

Matt
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : Your tone here is the problem, can a hand not be discussed and players have opposing views? That's the great thing about poker there are a number of ways of playing hands, its why you get hand analysis. Look at all the poker forums and hands are discussed by the very best in the game. I would say it does get a bit different in DYMs as the stacks are shallower and there is a lot less play/options open and its more likely that a certain option is optimal. Best of luck in your challenge. Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi Matt,
    ty,
    of course a hand can be discussed, i've no problem with that. if i want a hand looked at that i think i might have played badly or could have played better or diferently, i'll post it up & get others views on it.
    it's actually not my tone that is the problem here, but the people who come here giving their points of views in an almost you are wrong we are right attitude & with no room for any discusion at all that get's to me...
    the k7 hand or k8 can't remember, is a perfect example.
    anyway, i'm on a hiding to nothing here, as my opinions or feelings mean nothing to most of you, so i'll leave it
    at that.

• edited January 2015
    It's your tone.
  • edited January 2015
    I would say it does get a bit different in DYMs as the stacks are shallower and there is a lot less play/options open and its more likely that a certain option is optimal. Best of luck in your challenge. Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    it's actually not my tone that is the problem here, but the people who come here giving their points of views in an almost you are wrong we are right attitude & with no room for any discusion at all that get's to me
    Posted by devonfish5
    It's these two points where there's an issue imo. Please please don't take this as a dig but you still have a TON to learn and so sometimes it just is a case of 'they're right and you're wrong'.

As Matt said, sometimes there's room for discussion about which line is optimal but in a lot of DYM spots it's clear cut which line is the best. The better someone gets as a player the more situations will become clear cut/standard decisions. i.e. a less experienced player might get to a flop and think 'is this a flop I should cbet or not', a more experienced player will know exactly which hands they'll cbet that flop with and which ones they won't.

If someone shoved all in when we're in an MTT, we'd all agree calling with AA is the best play, that's easy. Other times it might be that 99 is an absolute clear cut shove and we'd all agree in X situation, the trickier the decision and the closer it comes, the more likely a less experienced player won't be sure which line to take, but the better players have already been in that spot hundreds of times, they've ran the numbers, looked at ranges, and they do know what is best.

Don't feel bad about it, there's loads of times when I ask someone 'what should I do in this spot' and they laugh cos it's just obvious to them and there is no other option. Sometimes you're just wrong and it's better to take it on the chin and learn from it than to be stubborn and keep making the same mistakes forever cos you're too proud to listen.
  • edited January 2015
    Lambo, you do realise he can't see a word of that? He won't take it as a dig as he can't see it ;)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : true mate, i've changed for sure, only defending myself against the idiots that come here telling me what i should & shouldn't do. as to the hands yeah, guess i'll stop posting them as i'm clearly playing them all wrong & everyone else plays such perfect poker here. still i get lucky every now & then i suppose so it's not all bad i guess.
    Posted by devonfish5

still calling people idiots i see.....ever thought that maybe you are the idiot?

dont post hands on a public forum if you dont want feedback, only an idiot would do that and expect  nobody to comment

just a thought......
  • edited January 2015
    The better someone gets as a player the more situations will become clear cut/standard decisions. i.e. a less experienced player might get to a flop and think 'is this a flop I should cbet or not', a more experienced player will know exactly which hands they'll cbet that flop with and which ones they won't. If someone shoved all in when we're in an MTT, we'd all agree calling with AA is the best play, that's easy. Other times it might be that 99 is an absolute clear cut shove and we'd all agree in X situation, the trickier the decision and the closer it comes, the more likely a less experienced player won't be sure which line to take, but the better players have already been in that spot hundreds of times, they've ran the numbers, looked at ranges, and they do know what is best. Don't feel bad about it, there's loads of times when I ask someone 'what should I do in this spot' and they laugh cos it's just obvious to them and there is no other option. Sometimes you're just wrong and it's better to take it on the chin and learn from it than to be stubborn and keep making the same mistakes forever cos you're too proud to listen.
    Posted by Lambert180
    +1 to this.

You probably have no interest Dev, but have a flick through some of the recent hand history posts I've put on my diary since I've tried to increase my MTT play - I got crucified (rightly) for things such as folding QQ pre-flop to two deepish stack all-ins (a mix of over-valuing my tournament life and playing too many nitty players at micro/low cash).

Sure I got sarcasm and yes I got a 'we're right, you're wrong' sort of guidance, but I'd far rather that than everyone keeping schtum and let me continue mis-playing a hand which is a totally standard spot to experienced (decent) MTT players.

I'd see it as far more 'idiot' behaviour if people neglecting to point out how I can improve and just sit back and laugh as I waste my money by continuing to make naive mistakes.

I genuinely hope that you, and everyone with a regulary diary on here, continues to meet their goals of both self-improvement and bankroll growth. And I believe that all other regular forum users feel the same, which is why they offer their considerable (combined) knowledge and experience to use for free, if we so wish.
  • edited January 2015
    How fascinating!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : Hi Matt, ty, of course a hand can be discussed, i've no problem with that. if i want a hand looked at that i think i might have played badly or could have played better or diferently, i'll post it up & get others views on it. it's actually not my tone that is the problem here, but the people who come here giving their points of views in an almost you are wrong we are right attitude & with no room for any discusion at all that get's to me... the k7 hand or k8 can't remember, is a perfect example. anyway, i'm on a hiding to nothing here, as my opinions or feelings mean nothing to most of you, so i'll leave it at that.
    Posted by devonfish5
    All I did was whacked the stats into Icmizer and it proved it's a +ev call given a randoms jaming range. There isn't really too much of a discussion to the hand other than what we think they are jamming. Agree with what Matt said about DYM hand discussion in that there is really only 1 optimal play especially when we are dealing with bubble or push/fold decisions.
  • edited January 2015
    day 227 wednesday 28/1/15

1xnl4

WON £7.10 B/R £688.55 PTS 148 

(cash won so far £9.63) ok, it's not going to last in all probability, but enjoying the ride so far -:)

ANOTHER QUICKIE 20-25 MINS OR SO, RAN LIKE A GOD SO 'BOOKED THE WIN'
    as I KNEW MY LUCK COULDN'T LAST, HA HA.
  • edited January 2015
    easy game this cash init...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    me2uu2me Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.59
    devonfish5 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.24
      Your hole cards
    • J

y
    Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.10
    frankie700 Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.43
    x
    Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.62
    me2uu2me Call   £0.02 £0.20 £1.57
    devonfish5 Check        
    Flop

• J
    • J

me2uu2me Check        
    devonfish5 Check        
    y
    Check        
    frankie700 Check        
    x
    Check        
    Turn

me2uu2me Check        
    devonfish5 Check        
    y
    Check        
    frankie700 Bet   £0.08 £0.28 £4.35
    x
    Call   £0.08 £0.36 £3.54
    me2uu2me Fold        
    devonfish5 Call   £0.08 £0.44 £4.16
    y
    Raise   £0.60 £1.04 £0.50
    frankie700 Fold        
    x
    Call   £0.52 £1.56 £3.02
    devonfish5 Raise   £1.04 £2.60 £3.12
    y
    All-in   £0.50 £3.10 £0.00
    x
    Call   £0.52 £3.62 £2.50
    River

• K

devonfish5 Bet   £2.72 £6.34 £0.40
    x
    All-in   £2.50 £8.84 £0.00
    devonfish5 Unmatched bet   £0.22 £8.62 £0.62
    devonfish5 Show
    • J

y
    Show
    • Q

x
    Show

devonfish5 Win Full House, Jacks and 9s £7.97   £8.59
  • edited January 2015
    probably played it badly though -:)

should get you all going...well the one's I can see anyway.
  • edited January 2015
    Love the call, then click back on the turn. Not even face up in the slightest. Wp Dev, wp.

Absolutely crushing 4nl it seems.
  • edited January 2015
    Maybe it's time to knock this thread on the head Dev?
    I can't see what enjoyment you can be getting from it and it's just unpleasant reading really. What's happened to the old Dev? The Dev who was an asset to the forum.

Just today
    "only defending myself against the idiots that come here telling me what I should & shouldn't do"
    "Should get you all going...well the one's I can see anyway"

People have different views on hands all the time. It doesn't mean that they're going after you. Teddy, Stuarty etc only posted with the very best of intentions. To be so aggressive towards them and start name calling is ridiculous. You really need to lose that chip on your shoulder. 
    The very best players on here discuss hands all the time. That is why they're the best. They're not too arrogant to believe that that they play every hand optimally.
    Players like you and me aren't the best players, and so we should really listen when other players suggest different lines to take. It's backward thinking when you say stuff like "well I won anyway so who's wrong?"

I'm in a group that has some very good players in it. I played a big cash hand live recently and although I won it, I knew I'd played the hand badly. I posted the hand and to a man they agreed that I'd butchered pretty much every part of the hand. I didn't get offended, I took in board the comments they made in regard to how I could have played it better.

Don't call people idiots Dev and dont try and provoke people to come on here and give some forthright views and then get upset by it.

It's not just a one off unfortunately. The way that you went after MrsDuck a while ago was horrible. It was exactly the same then as it is now. You got entirely the wrong end of the stick and reacted terribly.

You wrote that things have changed for the worse on the forum. I'll disagree with that. You're the one whos changed for the worse.
  • edited January 2015
    Just to add to that.

You're really missing a trick. You could be using this thread to improve your game immensely. You've done okayish at the lower stakes for a good period of time. You've struggled when attempting to play higher.

You were a very popular poster. If you listened to some of the good advice given you could start beating higher games. If you were prepared to listen, then there are plenty of people on here who would love to see you do well and would offer plenty of good advice. You gain absolutely nothing by just wanting people to pat you on the back and say that you're doing great.

Why don't you swallow some pride and make a few apologies. Then, get back to being the Dev who we enjoyed following and willed onto to complete his challenges

• edited January 2015
    welcome to club tropicana, jac. i hear the drinks are free.

on a more serious note, i like dev and dont know where the animosity came from. obviously he feels offended about summat, but unfortuanately all the offence was in the taking, certainly non was meant [even when telling him to 'go get his f-ckin shine box'....]

i am a part of a group where we pull apart each others ranges, lines and  thinking on a daily basis. all done with respect and the intention of collectively improving. i'm happy to offer advice where i can as i know i appreciate the advice i am given. and being confronted with the possibily of being wrong about summat is a great way of improving and at the very least can cause you to investigate why you were right.

anways dev, if you ever do read this hope you get involved again. these forums and diary threads are pretty dull without interaction. and theres no better way for new players to get interested in a format than being able to read a boss diary of a reg and interact / ask questions etc.

glgl
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £672.77).... profit from £5 games...+£67.50 : Hi Matt, ty, of course a hand can be discussed, i've no problem with that. if i want a hand looked at that i think i might have played badly or could have played better or diferently, i'll post it up & get others views on it. it's actually not my tone that is the problem here, but the people who come here giving their points of views in an almost you are wrong we are right attitude & with no room for any discusion at all that get's to me... the k7 hand or k8 can't remember, is a perfect example. anyway, i'm on a hiding to nothing here, as my opinions or feelings mean nothing to most of you, so i'll leave it at that.
    Posted by devonfish5
    I didnt even comment on this hand lol

For what its worth now i can understand y dev played it. Could be a him or me situation.

But i am on the nauty list  
  • edited January 2015
    so members in the recently formed Dev's Ignore Player Club are;

* EDITED  ..... NO MEMBERS.

keep posting away people....if it makes you feel better...
    i'm not following you.
    this is my diary & simply a record of my progress for my benefit & i'll play & say whatever i like whenever i like to who i like & how i like...
    if you don't like it i don't care stop coming here & go & annoy others elsewhere.
    when i want anyones advice i'll ask for it & as to hands i'll post them in the poker clinic...any that i post here are for my amusement only & yours i guess too.
    you're really not getting it are you...I don't care what anyone thinks we are way past that.
    this is just a job to me & i'm loving it...well most days anyway & stops when i either reach my target or choose to stop.
    yes, i make mistakes on & off the tables, i'm not perfect i know that. i'll live with them.
    as to my poker, as long as i make a few quid i'm happy, it just buys me nice things every now & again...
    it's not life & death or bills money.

• edited January 2015

Ok everyone stop and take a moment before you post and decide if it's a post which is productive or not please, or at the very least can we cut out the sniping, insults and dual agendas.

Dev, stop calling people idiots please.  If people take the time out and post on your diary in a constructive and positive way then I would appreciate that if I was you.  If people are honestly trolling you then PM me and I'll look into it and take action.  If you post HHs then people will discuss them, it's a poker forum after all.  We discuss HHs, it's what people do and can't resist, as soon as you put one out there it is in the public domain and people will talk about it.

I don't like this 'ignore player list.'  It reminds me of an eight year old writing up a 'Super anti-awesome won't talk to' list.  You don't want to be that guy man.  If you disagree with someone be constructive.  If you want to ignore someone then hit the ignore button on them.  Don't be childish.

Also to other people who have posted in this thread negatively, don't Troll Dev or each other.  Don't try to flame bait.  And in general, can we all just be more constructive, positive and frankly better people please?

thanks for listening, good luck all.

• edited January 2015
    Has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack yet.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £688.55):
    Has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack yet. All the best. Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397

+1 
  • edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £688.55):
    Ok everyone stop and take a moment before you post and decide if it's a post which is productive or not please, or at the very least can we cut out the sniping, insults and dual agendas. Dev, stop calling people idiots please.  If people take the time out and post on your diary in a constructive and positive way then I would appreciate that if I was you.  If people are honestly trolling you then PM me and I'll look into it and take action.  If you post HHs then people will discuss them, it's a poker forum after all.  We discuss HHs, it's what people do and can't resist, as soon as you put one out there it is in the public domain and people will talk about it. I don't like this 'ignore player list.'  It reminds me of an eight year old writing up a 'Super anti-awesome won't talk to' list.  You don't want to be that guy man.  If you disagree with someone be constructive.  If you want to ignore someone then hit the ignore button on them.  Don't be childish. Also to other people who have posted in this thread negatively, don't Troll Dev or each other.  Don't try to flame bait.  And in general, can we all just be more constructive, positive and frankly better people please? thanks for listening, good luck all.
    Posted by TommyD
    Appreciate the post Tommy,
    I'll do my best & try not to call players idiots in future.
    I did make a half hearted written apology a while a go but that was a waste of time & effort quite frankly.
    If people choose to come here & have their say, that's their choice, I can't stop that.
    if people want to criticise/critique my play when I post a hand that's fine, I can't stop that either.
    I'll try to be more understanding & appreciative in the future.
    I at least have had some control as to who I wished to talk to or as to who's posts I have no interest in reading.
    To those people I am prepared to wipe the slate clean & start a fresh.
    Feel free to have your say, I will take your advice on board, I will try not to react negatively when I disagree with your point of view,(which will be most of the time -:),  & will simply try to choose not to reply.
    That's all, I can't do any better than that right now.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge.(current b/r £688.55) : Appreciate the post Tommy, I'll do my best & try not to call players idiots in future. I did make a half hearted written apology a while a go but that was a waste of time & effort quite frankly. If people choose to come here & have their say, that's their choice, I can't stop that. if people want to criticise/critique my play when I post a hand that's fine, I can't stop that either. I'll try to be more understanding & appreciative in the future. I at least have had some control as to who I wished to talk to or as to who's posts I have no interest in reading. To those people I am prepared to wipe the slate clean & start a fresh. Feel free to have your say, I will take your advice on board, I will try not to react negatively when I disagree with your point of view,(which will be most of the time -:),  & will simply try to choose not to reply. That's all, I can't do any better than that right now.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Perhaps a sincere apology wouldn't have been a waste of time an effort? Just a thought.