You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM/CASH challenge.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £97.22) playing £1 games only atm:
    Nice to see you moving up steadily. Got to thank you again for helping me understand BR management. 2 months ago I could never imagine enjoying playing £1 and £2 games. Now I can not imagine gambling higher stakes until a healthy buy in to BR ratio.  So your good at poker, Paintibg and Poems! What other things begining with p are you good at? Haha
    Posted by Nuggy962
    No worries mate.
    had a nightmare tonight but i played ok so this is when good brm comes into play.
    had i been playing the £2 or £3 level tonight my b/r would have been seriously hit.
    gl building your roll up.

um...  pfishing, psnooker, ptennis, pbowls  ptable-tennis, pgolf,  aaaagh.. pool   lol
  • edited July 2014
    day 35
    Friday  18/7/14  day off 

day 36
    Saturday  19/7/14

£1   W  17  +£14.45
           L   20  -£23.00
                    ---------
                    -£8.55

LOST  £8.55   B/R  88.67    PTS   £4.66

whooops,  bad night at the office. played ok i think. lost KK V AX  4 TIMES from memory, so not surprised at all.
    this is when you need good brm, if i was playing £2 or £3 games i would be really upset with tonight, but £8 it's only 2 buy-ins at nl4 isn't it, so no biggie just a minor set back.
    i've had a good run the past month or so so can't grumble with 1 bad night.
    it won't be the last loss i'll be posting up on this marathon of a journey, so i'll get over it by tomorrow.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £97.22) playing £1 games only atm:
    day 35 Friday  18/7/14  day off  day 36 Saturday  19/7/14 £1   W  17  +£14.45        L   20  -£23.00                 ---------                 -£8.55 LOST  £8.55   B/R  88.67    PTS   £4.66 whooops,  bad night at the office. played ok i think. lost KK V AX  4 TIMES from memory, so not surprised at all. this is when you need good brm, if i was playing £2 or £3 games i would be really upset with tonight, but £8 it's only 2 buy-ins at nl4 isn't it, so no biggie just a minor set back. i've had a good run the past month or so so can't grumble with 1 bad night. it won't be the last loss i'll be posting up on this marathon of a journey, so i'll get over it by tomorrow.
    Posted by devonfish5

Dev instead of 37 games for a loss of £8.55. Why not play tight in one 2.25, win 1.75 and call it a day!!

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £97.22) playing £1 games only atm : Dev instead of 37 games for a loss of £8.55. Why not play tight in one 2.25, win 1.75 and call it a day!!
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    Bit late now mate... it's the next day, ha ha.
    yeah, could have done but thats chasing money already lost, and i've done it in the past on my last challenge.
    i was down & played 2x £11 dym's & luckily won both, but it can go the other way, and in this case it's best to just lose what i did, and not more by playing the £2's.. which could take it to -£10+.
    i'm goint to check now but i'm guessing this loss puts me back about a week, so no real damage done.(yeah, 9 days ago in fact, Thurs 10/7/14)
    this is just the stepping stone to the £3 level & that's when the big swings will happen, ie; winning/losing £20-£40 quite often in most sessions, so losing £8.50 here is no problem.
    I always go by the results over the whole month, and as long as i'm in profit each month I'm happy.
    This is a good tip for all players cash included as it then helps making any losing sessions that bit easier to swallow.
    edit; £62 start of month(with last months c4p added on) so still up £26 this month not including £4.66 c4p to come,
    so still going forward, which is always my goal each month.
  • edited July 2014
    Think I need chearing up a bit, so here's a loose watercolor painting,(the first I've done) to look at .
    did this one 2 days ago...
    Poppies...
  • edited July 2014
    DAY 37
    Sunday  20/7/14  day off

day  38
    Monday  21/7/14  new painting to look at... hooray.
                              playing later.
  • edited July 2014
    Love the painting!!

Those bad days always happen no matter who you are, its how we deal with them that makes the difference. 
    Luckily I am on the heater but we all know how quick it can change. My last heater ended with AK dominating an Ax hand, hit my K they did the 4 card flush trick. Sent my BR from £200 to £50 in a day. And thats why all new players should remember not to jump up too early. Just because we run good for a while does not mean we should go up a level or two and stay there. Sure go up but soon as drop BR drop that level!! 

Run well today mate
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £88.67) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted.:
    Love the painting!! Those bad days always happen no matter who you are, its how we deal with them that makes the difference.  Luckily I am on the heater but we all know how quick it can change. My last heater ended with AK dominating an Ax hand, hit my K they did the 4 card flush trick. Sent my BR from £200 to £50 in a day. And thats why all new players should remember not to jump up too early. Just because we run good for a while does not mean we should go up a level or two and stay there. Sure go up but soon as drop BR drop that level!!  Run well today mate
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Thanks mate,
    not sure how much longer I will stay at £1 level as it's slow progress, but yeah, brm is key as you say those bad days to come to us all.  :(
    I lost £129 in 1 session on my last challenge playing the £11's & £5's my b/r went from £229  back to £100   ouch, i remember it well.
    deffo right about dropping levels mate when we are running bad, i even went back down to the £1 & 50p levels from the £3 level when things were really bad at one stage,  ha ha.
    run well mate, 
    dev
  • edited July 2014
    day 38
    Monday  21/7/14

£1   W  6    +£5.10
           L   1    -£1.15
                    -----------
                     +£3.95

WON £3.95   B/R £92.62   PTS  £4.80

Nice easy session, bit annoyed i lost last game as i played too agressive with my 99 & got called by KK, when i didn't have to. never mind would take 6-1 all night long.
    back to winning ways & back climbing again.
    ps; edit; 22/7/14    I want to move up levels & get this thing moving by moving up to the £2's but it only takes a couple bad sessions & all the good work is undone, so decided i'll continue playing £1 until the end of the month & see how b/r is then.
    if I can get it over the £100 barrier then i'll use how ever many buy-ins i have to play the £2's so for example if b/r finishes at £108 that's 4 games i can play at £2 level.
    think that's a reasonable plan, don't you.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £88.67) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted.:
    day 38 Monday  21/7/14 £1   W  6    +£5.10        L   1    -£1.15                 -----------                  +£3.95 WON £3.95   B/R £92.62   PTS  £4.80 Nice easy session, bit annoyed i lost last game as i played too agressive with my 99 & got called by KK, when i didn't have to. never mind would take 6-1 all night long. back to winning ways & back climbing again. ps; edit; 22/7/14    I want to move up levels & get this thing moving by moving up to the £2's but it only takes a couple bad sessions & all the good work is undone, so decided i'll continue playing £1 until the end of the month & see how b/r is then. if I can get it over the £100 barrier then i'll use how ever many buy-ins i have to play the £2's so for example if b/r finishes at £108 that's 4 games i can play at £2 level. think that's a reasonable plan, don't you.
    Posted by devonfish5

Nope I don't think it's a reasonable plan. Stop faffing and start playing the 2 pounders! Play a lot less tables to start. if your up after a few, quit for the day, write up your blog and feel good about yourself!

• edited July 2014
    I am a nit,I like the 50 buy-in strategy but drop back down at 40 if you run bad.
    Gl Dev.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £88.67) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : Nope I don't think it's a reasonable plan. Stop faffing and start playing the 2 pounders! Play a lot less tables to start. if your up after a few, quit for the day, write up your blog and feel good about yourself!
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    Ha ha, yeah thought you might have your 10c worth.
    play less tables... I'm only playing 6 now... which i can play with my eyes shut & still watch/listen to Coronation Street at the same time   :)
    i think it's a good plan so I'll go with it anyway.
    playing 2 or 4 tables would make no diference to me whatsoever, as 6 is comfortable & I can keep up with play.
    the only diference would be I would lose more with each loss and all my hard work could be undone in just 1 or 2 sessions.(I have already had 2 x £7 losses right at the start playing £2 games, which took me by surprise a bit if I'm being honest, but I'm only human & can lose just like you I guess  :) & to win that money back by dropping levels becomes a hard grind, for little satisfaction.
    yes, I would win more but winning lots & lots of small wins at the £1 level with almost no risk is a much better way of building a bankroll, imo anyway.
    I WILL move up as I've said when B/R gets over the all important £100 barrier, and drop back down again if needed should b/r go back below  that figure. 
    This is something I didn't do enough on my last challenge & I will use this strategy much better this time around.
    I could continue playing the £1 level until b/r reaches £300 as I intended, but it would take longer than I would like, and for me to do it just to prove my point that I can beat this level seems a little pointless.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted.:
    I am a nit,I like the 50 buy-in strategy but drop back down at 40 if you run bad. Gl Dev.
    Posted by belsibub
    Thanks mate,
    Now there speaks a man of wisdom!!!
  • edited July 2014
    day  39
    Tuesday  22/7/14

£1   W  5   +£4.25
           L   1   -£1.15
                    ---------
                   +£3.10

WON  £3.10   B/R  £95.72   PTS  £4.92  to come

just a quickie, 1 game folded KK to 100 p/f raise on level 1  10/20 blinds... 
                         oh yes, won that game!!!
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted.:
    day  39 Tuesday  22/7/14 £1   W  5   +£4.25        L   1   -£1.15                 ---------                +£3.10 WON  £3.10   B/R  £95.72   PTS  £4.92  to come just a quickie, 1 game folded KK to 100 p/f raise on level 1  10/20 blinds...                       oh yes, won that game!!!
    Posted by devonfish5
    I don't play DYM's, but that is a poor fold no?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : I don't play DYM's, but that is a poor fold no?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No mate it isn't not when you've just lost 4 games with KK v AX
    it's not like cash or tournaments, you need to make the bubble as often as possible and every all-in is a risk.
    I made the bubble, I cashed, so it was the right play for that game.
  • edited July 2014
    day 39
    Tuesday  22/7/14 part 2...

£1   W  4  +£3.40
           L   8  -£9.20
                   -----------
                  -£5.80

LOST  £5.80   B/R  £89.92   PTS  £5.16

another bad session, beginning to think I'm never going to get that £100 up atm  :(
    one step forwards two steps back comes to mind.
    got to keep my discipline & continue with my game plan.
    no need to panic...long way to go boys.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : No mate it isn't not when you've just lost 4 games with KK v AX it's not like cash or tournaments, you need to make the bubble as often as possible and every all-in is a risk. I made the bubble, I cashed, so it was the right play for that game.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Is this not just being results orientated?

Granted, you need to make the bubble, but surely you do this by making (mostly) the correct poker decisions en route to said bubble?

Making the money will be a lot easier if you double up with KK in the first level ;)

Like I said, rarely play DYM's and I know your a boss at them so probs not really my place to say. Could understand folding KK on the bubble with a very solid read, but in the first level?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : Is this not just being results orientated? Granted, you need to make the bubble, but surely you do this by making (mostly) the correct poker decisions en route to said bubble? Making the money will be a lot easier if you double up with KK in the first level ;) Like I said, rarely play DYM's and I know your a boss at them so probs not really my place to say. Could understand folding KK on the bubble with a very solid read, but in the first level?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I wouldnt fold KK on level 1 big raise from me
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : Is this not just being results orientated? Granted, you need to make the bubble, but surely you do this by making (mostly) the correct poker decisions en route to said bubble? Making the money will be a lot easier if you double up with KK in the first level ;) Like I said, rarely play DYM's and I know your a boss at them so probs not really my place to say. Could understand folding KK on the bubble with a very solid read, but in the first level?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Probably, but having just lost 4 times in a row with kk i thought i'd play them diferently this time.
    suposedly being an apporox  70% favourite on each hand v AX & losing 4 in a row is just a joke imo, like i'm going to win the next 30 times or so with them to balance the books so to speak.

I've already made my feeling clear in the past about KK so i don't want to rake up old ground again here.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : I wouldnt fold KK on level 1 big raise from me
    Posted by spinky6108
    So would I if I thought I was getting the right odds to win with them.
  • edited July 2014
    I think folding KK there personally is too nitty.... However if you feel you have an edge at that level and do not want to risk it all I can understand.  At that level though I snap and expect to see a had like 66 through 1010 and yeah Ax suited

Run well fella
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £89.92) playing £1 games only...still.:
    I think folding KK there personally is too nitty.... However if you feel you have an edge at that level and do not want to risk it all I can understand.  At that level though I snap and expect to see a had like 66 through 1010 and yeah Ax suited Run well fella
    Posted by Nuggy962
    thanks m8,
    yeah, i think folding kk is nitty but getting called by AX and losing 4 in a row sucks.
    i believe i have an edge at this level so yeah, if i need to fold i will as moving all-in is always a gamble and not always the best or only option.
    run well too/

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : Probably, but having just lost 4 times in a row with kk i thought i'd play them diferently this time. suposedly being an apporox  70% favourite on each hand v AX & losing 4 in a row is just a joke imo, like i'm going to win the next 30 times or so with them to balance the books so to speak. I've already made my feeling clear in the past about KK so i don't want to rake up old ground again here.
    Posted by devonfish5
    What happened before shouldn't alter the way you'd play a premium pair. If you got your chips in pre with KK vs Ax then you've absolutely done the right thing, regardless of the result.

If you'd had AA cracked 4 times previously, would you have folded the bullets to a single raise pre flop?

I genuinely can't see a justification to fold KK in the first level of a DYM. Cashing in said DYM isn't a justification.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Ian
    I'm glad the challenge is going well.

What's all this I hear about folding KK pre to a single raise? :)
    As you say, you have an edge at these stakes. THIS is your edge! Whilst others are playing QJ, Ace 9, K10 against 5x raises, you're playing KK. I appreciate the tight is right philosophy in the early stages but this is taking it too far. What hands are you playing early on?

Yes, getting to the bubble is number 1 on the agenda but how many chips we have when we get there is equally important. There's a player at the £22's and above who will make the bubble in just about every Dym he plays. He is a huge losing player.
    I take his blinds relentlessly. For every time I have to fold to his shove I'll pick up his blind 50 times. He will reach the bubble with say 800 chips and then have to double twice just to get parity with the other players. That is hard to do.

From the thousands of games you've played you know it's all about the long term. So what if you've lost recently a number of times with KK v Ax. It's all about making the right decision.

Last night in the main I lost a huge pot when a guy open shoved utg and I had KK. He had AJ and won the pot.
    If I play the main again tonight and the same situation arises, I will still be snap calling.

Gl mate (nice pics by the way)
  • edited July 2014

Nice to see people getting as tilted about the KK thing as I did when I discussed it with Ian in the clinic last year.

Must not get drawn in!!!!!!!!

Nice work on (and off) the tables Dev ;)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £92.62) playing £1 games only atm Monday 21/7/14 new painting posted. : What happened before shouldn't alter the way you'd play a premium pair. If you got your chips in pre with KK vs Ax then you've absolutely done the right thing, regardless of the result. If you'd had AA cracked 4 times previously, would you have folded the bullets to a single raise pre flop? I genuinely can't see a justification to fold KK in the first level of a DYM. Cashing in said DYM isn't a justification.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Fair points mate,
    KK is a weaker hand than AA by far though imo, as any old ace beats you, as i've shown.
    i don't see the urgency to get all my chips in especially on levels 1 2 3 & even 4. atm.
    of course there are days & times when i do get them in, and yes i do win & lose doing this, as we all do.
    i am simply trying a diferent approach with my kk only hands atm, so the AA scenario is pretty irrelevent here.
    if i have an edge in my play then there is absolutely no need to take these risks at these early levels.
    of course notes on players dictate every move i make.
    if i can get to the bubble with around a thousand chips or more which is my primary goal for every game, then i feel i can use my edge v 3 opponents & cash more often then 2 times out of 3 which is all i need to do to win.
    I like to think i play a little diferent to most dym players, whether that be a goog thing or a bad thing.
    I apreciate your post & comments. i am by no means the perfect player, and i have learnt of at least two leaks in my game recently, which i was unaware of until one was pointed out to me, and the other i found out for myself.
    if this is another leak then so be it, but it is not something that i consider to be of any great importance atm.
    maybe next week or next month i will be going aipf again with KK maybe i won't only time will tell.
    I have only done this kk fold once btw, on the back of 4 losses, and only posted it here as other players at my table were shall we say shocked to say the least, and i just wanted to give my reasons for doing this, which i feel i have, regardless of whether it's right or wrong mathematically.
    The only thing that matters is that my b/r keeps moving forwards, and i will take whatever steps i feel are necessary at any particular time, as is the case here.
    This isn't a popularity contest i'm in, it's my challenge to get from £40 to £1040 the best way i see fit.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1,040.... dev's 2nd DYM challenge....(current b/r £89.92) playing £1 games only...still.:
    Hi Ian I'm glad the challenge is going well. What's all this I hear about folding KK pre to a single raise? :) As you say, you have an edge at these stakes. THIS is your edge! Whilst others are playing QJ, Ace 9, K10 against 5x raises, you're playing KK. I appreciate the tight is right philosophy in the early stages but this is taking it too far. What hands are you playing early on? Yes, getting to the bubble is number 1 on the agenda but how many chips we have when we get there is equally important. There's a player at the £22's and above who will make the bubble in just about every Dym he plays. He is a huge losing player. I take his blinds relentlessly. For every time I have to fold to his shove I'll pick up his blind 50 times. He will reach the bubble with say 800 chips and then have to double twice just to get parity with the other players. That is hard to do. From the thousands of games you've played you know it's all about the long term. So what if you've lost recently a number of times with KK v Ax. It's all about making the right decision. Last night in the main I lost a huge pot when a guy open shoved utg and I had KK. He had AJ and won the pot. If I play the main again tonight and the same situation arises, I will still be snap calling. Gl mate (nice pics by the way)
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks Paul,
    appreciate you taking the time & effort to post mate.
    yes, i know what you are saying is right and yes i should be doing what is mathematically the right thing to do...long term, which i probably do 90%+ of the time, or i'd like to think i do anyway.
    we are talking about 1 occasion here and at the £1 level at that.
    of course at the £5 £10 levels it's a diferent game as it is between nl4 & nl50 at cash.
    i think i've explained my reasons why i did this in my above post so no need to go over it again.
    the point here is i've lost 4 games in a row playing kk and yes, i'm upset over it, so i've decided to not go aipf with them for  one game here & probably the next few days or so, or however long i decide.

• edited July 2014
    Nice to see people getting as tilted about the KK thing as I did when I discussed it with Ian in the clinic last year. Must not get drawn in!!!!!!!! Nice work on (and off) the tables Dev ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks Dohhhh,
    yeah did get a bit hot that topic didn't it.  :)

don't think we need to go there again.  lol

• edited July 2014
    day 40
    Wednesday  23/7/14

£1   W  5   +£4.25
           L   1   -£1.15
                    ----------
                   +£3.10

WON  £3.10    B/R  £93.02   PTS  £5.28  to come.

another quick 6 games, finally got around to posting it up, been a busy last 45 mins or so,  ha ha.
    anyway, happy with my game & how i'm playing regardless of the KK thing that's the hot topic atm.  lol
    back in the naughty ninetees again... how long for this time i wonder?
    run good people,
    dev