You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Channing's Bet of the Week...

Comments

• edited December 2014

I wouldn't totally put you off Joes and I wish you luck. I do think the horses at the lower end of the weights do much better round here particularly on the softer ground.

Of the higher weights I have respect for Mendip Express which is improving and which has a great trainer. I can also see the case for Green Flag and Chance de Roy but I'm ruling out the former who has never been round here on experience/may want softer/trainer and the latter on weight.

I like a few down the bottom. I respect Highland Lodge but I think it's tough for a front runner and I could make a case for Master Neo off a lovely low weight at a big price.

I'm going to have a main bet and a slightly smaller bet from the ones down the bottom.

Benbens loves a flat track like this, he's lightly raced, his jumping is not brilliant but he will stay this trip and I do think he was a little unlucky when 2nd last time as he got into a duel and was mugged by the winner.

Saint Are has a trainer in great form, it has winning form here and it is a horse that has come right down in the ratings. Ran Ok on his comeback considering he didn't like the course and his run in the National of 2013 proved that this trip is as far as he'd like. Could be really well in here.

I'm having 8 Points each-way Benbens and 12 Points each-way Saint Are.

Skybet have 12345 places and if you do plan to bet £25 or less you get your money back as a free bet if you come 2nd/3rd/4th/5th This is a decent offer if you are betting that amount and you can take a slightly lower price than you would otherwise.
  • edited December 2014
    good tips , thanks Neil and good luck
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week...:
    Goonyella ew for me. Trainer/Owner desperate for it to make the cut for next years National (1st reserve this year). So a win today will almost guarantee it gets in. Classy sort, still on an upward curve, unlike most in the race. Good young jockey taking 3lb off too. The one slight reservation is its his 1st time over these fences, but u can't have everything in your favour. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Good pick mate !!!
  • edited December 2014
     I wouldn't totally put you off Joes and I wish you luck. I do think the horses at the lower end of the weights do much better round here particularly on the softer ground.  Of the higher weights I have respect for Mendip Express which is improving and which has a great trainer. I can also see the case for Green Flag and Chance de Roy but I'm ruling out the former who has never been round here on experience/may want softer/trainer and the latter on weight.  I like a few down the bottom. I respect Highland Lodge but I think it's tough for a front runner and I could make a case for Master Neo off a lovely low weight at a big price.  I'm going to have a main bet and a slightly smaller bet from the ones down the bottom.  Benbens loves a flat track like this, he's lightly raced, his jumping is not brilliant but he will stay this trip and I do think he was a little unlucky when 2nd last time as he got into a duel and was mugged by the winner.  Saint Are has a trainer in great form, it has winning form here and it is a horse that has come right down in the ratings. Ran Ok on his comeback considering he didn't like the course and his run in the National of 2013 proved that this trip is as far as he'd like. Could be really well in here.  I'm having 8 Points each-way Benbens and 12 Points each-way Saint Are.  Skybet have 12345 places and if you do plan to bet £25 or less you get your money back as a free bet if you come 2nd/3rd/4th/5th This is a decent offer if you are betting that amount and you can take a slightly lower price than you would otherwise.
    Posted by NChanning

Benbens Unseated rider.

Saint Are 3rd @ 14/1.

Keep them coming please, Mr C.
  • edited December 2014
    Great thread Neil & welcome!!

I am not much into horses, but see a lot of my Scoop6 Syndicate colleagues are posting here, & enjoying!

I pick normally One BIG Football bet, [my speciality], a week, to Hammer & to give me a propa sweat!!

Been Krushing lately, and it would be ignorant of me not to pass on a Banker I think Bookies have missed, to the Community, hope you don't mind.... I wont ever do again if this goes down..

BUT Sunday, Post Roy-Keane rejuvenated Aston Villa are a BANKER home win, v Leicester, currently 2.38 on Sky.
    Have hammered it, with additional 2-0 & 3-0, at roughly 10-1 & 22-1 approx.!

....just saying like, GL with Horses Neil, All.

The Hitman
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : Good pick mate !!!
    Posted by vaigret

Tbf Terry, the horse jumped the 1st perfectly well.... The jockey basically jumped off him
  • edited December 2014
    Great thread Neil & welcome!! I am not much into horses, but see a lot of my Scoop6 Syndicate colleagues are posting here, & enjoying! I pick normally One BIG Football bet, [my speciality], a week, to Hammer & to give me a propa sweat!! Been Krushing lately, and it would be ignorant of me not to pass on a Banker I think Bookies have missed, to the Community, hope you don't mind.... I wont ever do again if this goes down.. BUT Sunday, Post Roy-Keane rejuvenated Aston Villa are a BANKER home win, v Leicester, currently 2.38 on Sky. Have hammered it, with additional 2-0 & 3-0, at roughly 10-1 & 22-1 approx.! ....just saying like, GL with Horses Neil, All. The Hitman
    Posted by HITMAN_RV

Dave, I'd be quite happy for your bets to come up....Fulham to beat Watford 2-1 would have been fine - how did that finish? oh yes 5-0 to Watford :))))  but as a Leicester fan I think you're wrong to assume this is a banker.

This horror run were on can't last forever and against Liverpool on Tuesday we played well except for some schoolboy defending for the goals. And for the first time Pearson has got his back to the wall with people giving him stick from all quarters, despite him being one of the best managers we've had in recent years.

I think the Villa match will be the turning point of our season, we'll take three points back to Leicester and shut the doom and gloom merchants up for a week.

PS: Obviously I'm an eternal optimist (pre-requisite for a Foxes fan) but I really do think this is the game to get back on track. Will be checking odds for Albrighton to score his first goal for City against his old club for good measure!!
  • edited December 2014
    Mr Channing and Tikay are both invited to join our Scoop6m syndicate. 

We have been getting so close  and with  Neils tips and Tikay's money we must win it.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : Dave, I'd be quite happy for your bets to come up....Fulham to beat Watford 2-1 would have been fine - how did that finish? oh yes 5-0 to Watford :))))  but as a Leicester fan I think you're wrong to assume this is a banker. This horror run were on can't last forever and against Liverpool on Tuesday we played well except for some schoolboy defending for the goals. And for the first time Pearson has got his back to the wall with people giving him stick from all quarters, despite him being one of the best managers we've had in recent years. I think the Villa match will be the turning point of our season, we'll take three points back to Leicester and shut the doom and gloom merchants up for a week. PS: Obviously I'm an eternal optimist (pre-requisite for a Foxes fan) but I really do think this is the game to get back on track. Will be checking odds for Albrighton to score his first goal for City against his old club for good measure!!
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    GL mate!! SOZ TO GO AGAINST YOU.

PS my Weekly bankers been rite 7 weeks in a row!!

Fulham are never a banker, unless to lose!! lol

PPS be great for Neil, Tikay to join Father Vaigrets super 6 syndicate!!
  • edited December 2014
    Sorry dont bet much on the horses but what do you mean by 8 points E/W

Does this just mean 8 pound E/W
  • edited December 2014
    Sorry dont bet much on the horses but what do you mean by 8 points E/W Does this just mean 8 pound E/W
    Posted by stuarty117
    depends on Your Bankroll sir!!

Gamblers talk points, so more 'points' as to show how hot they feel about bet, less 'points' cooler they feel!!!

IE. one mans 'point' may be £1, another's may be £100, you see??
  • edited December 2014
    Great thread Neil & welcome!! I am not much into horses, but see a lot of my Scoop6 Syndicate colleagues are posting here, & enjoying! I pick normally One BIG Football bet, [my speciality], a week, to Hammer & to give me a propa sweat!! Been Krushing lately, and it would be ignorant of me not to pass on a Banker I think Bookies have missed, to the Community, hope you don't mind.... I wont ever do again if this goes down.. BUT Sunday, Post Roy-Keane rejuvenated Aston Villa are a BANKER home win, v Leicester, currently 2.38 on Sky. Have hammered it, with additional 2-0 & 3-0, at roughly 10-1 & 22-1 approx.! ....just saying like, GL with Horses Neil, All. The Hitman
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Need Villa to score another for 3-1 @  20/1 +  Villa win !   ONE TIME!!
  • edited December 2014
    Well done Dave......and we have Man City next, happy days! :((((
  • edited December 2014
    Well done Dave......and we have Man City next, happy days! :((((
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    Very Unlucky Mate, they showed a lot of Heart, the spirit of Jim Melrose!

Keeper Schmeical saved 3 certs too!! Both Teams playing way above league pos. at moment.
    tho I feel Benteke will start to impose on prem defences from here, rate him!!

Banker in Again!!

GL Brrrrrrrr & Leicester!!
  • edited December 2014
    As an ex bookmaker like yaself n . channing 

i said to a m8 of mine that bookamkers hate each way bets if there is an long odds on shot in the race as there is no edge for them he thinks i am joking but would u agree imo u cant lose u back something each way its a bet to nothing it will come in the 1st 3 win is a bonus placed get ya money back ?

for instance 8 runners odds  1/5 fave 8/1 2nd fav 16/1  3rd fav 33/1 bar back the 2nd fav e/w easy money longterm i think there is money to be made 

why do u think they dnt offer u each way when theres a odd on shot in the race if 8 runners or more on course bookmakers
  • edited December 2014
    As an ex bookmaker like yaself n . channing  i said to a m8 of mine that bookamkers hate each way bets if there is an long odds on shot in the race as there is no edge for them he thinks i am joking but would u agree imo u cant lose u back something each way its a bet to nothing it will come in the 1st 3 win is a bonus placed get ya money back ? for instance 8 runners odds  1/5 fave 8/1 2nd fav 16/1  3rd fav 33/1 bar back the 2nd fav e/w easy money longterm i think there is money to be made  why do u think they dnt offer u each way when theres a odd on shot in the race if 8 runners or more on course bookmakers
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
     Spot on. Those bets are really good for the punter and terrible for a bookie. They are also really bad for your betting accounts and most bookies are not happy to take them.

Tough game being a bookie.
  • edited December 2014
    thanks for the reply n.channing i used to work in a bookies for several years myself

run good at the tables 
  • edited December 2014
    there was another coo a while back barney curley so many storys about this trainer i wont go into details but whenever he had a horse running and if there was money on the horse pile on it would win alot of times 
  • edited December 2014
  • edited December 2014
    Any hope for Leicester this week at sixes against City, Newcastle were sixes against Chelsea last week and  City are playing worse than Chelsea and are missing a pretty decent player, cant quite put my finger on his name.
  • edited December 2014
    Any hope for Leicester this week at sixes against City, Newcastle were sixes against Chelsea last week and  City are playing worse than Chelsea and are missing a pretty decent player, cant quite put my finger on his name.
    Posted by spiersey
    I'm totally biased but you'd be mad to back against Man City vs pretty much anyone at the moment. I'd say in the last 6 games or so, we're playing just as well if not better than Chelsea. Aguero is a huge loss but we have quality replacements, and Silva and Kompany should both return today. Plus a fresh Toure who missed the game midweek.

I'm lumping on the Skybet special, City Chelsea and Southampton. The latter is a risk away at improving Burnley but it's basically 3/1 for the Saints to win as can't see the other 2 faltering.

FWIW, I already have my humble pie response ready should Leicester wallop us 5-3 like they did the Salford rags!
  • edited December 2014

I really love this race by the way...

The Ladbroke at 3.30 at Ascot today is obviously ridiculously competitive. It does however, have 18-runners right now and providing 16 start the race we'll get 1/4 odds 1234 with all bookies...a rare Christmas present and a big edge to punters. Skybet make it even better by going 12345. They should be punished.

As with all these big field races you'd expect a decent pace so to narrow it down I'm going to focus on horses that look like staying further than the 2m trip as this could be hard work for any with stamina doubts especially if they get more rain. I like to go for stables in form and up and coming stables, form at Ascot would help but there aren't too many with that so my other main factor will be to concentrate on unexposed improvers...it's hard to run a dozen handicaps and have a enough up your sleeve to win one like this. As in all races ability to handle the ground is also high on my list, although at the moment I'm guessing it'll be nearer to soft than heavy.

I certainly respect Harry Fry the trainer of favourite Activial, but the horse was 12/1 a week ago, it isn't massively experienced and while that is great from a handicap point of view I might prefer it to be a year older.

My two start with Hello George a five year old trained by Phillip Hobbs who is in great form. Stays more than 2m and likes soft ground, this one jumps well and last time it was possibly not helped by running in a race where they took out half the hurdles due to the low sun. Decent price and definitely could be very well handicapped.

My favourite trainer right now is Dan Skelton. Like Harry Fry he is another former Nicholls assistant and they are both going to be the top two yards in the country very soon you'd have to think. He trains Shelford here, a horse that is lightly raced over hurdles, five years old, easily stays 2m4f and likes soft ground. With him staying all day it seems very hard to see this horse finishing out of the frame. The trainer worries a little bit about his jumping, he is a big rather than slick jumper, but surely he'll have worked on that. Just looks like a massively solid bet to me.

I'm having 8 points each-way Hello George at 14/1 1/4 1234 5 Great place terms with Skybet

I'm having 14 Points each-way Shelford at 6/1 1/4 1234 5 Great place terms with SkyBet.

• edited December 2014
    Thanks Neil, I'm on. Good luck to us all :)
  • edited December 2014
    thanks neil i`m taking a punt tomoz never ever bet on horse racing :)
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Neil,

Any thoughts on Clondaw Warrior?  I ask as I favoured it over Shelford.  Just thought the course & distance were "slightly" against Shelford.  
    Pad 
  • edited December 2014
    gd luck neil i fancy shelford to win won its last 2 races a improving horse  6/1 good odds 

i think bayan will be the danger at 12/1 
  • edited December 2014
    I'm hoping that the going doesn't become too testing by the last race. If it's not then I believe Clondaw Warrior ew is the one. Though I have visions of Balgarry coming to the last still hard on the bit. 1000+ days since its last run?? Not a problem to this stable. And at the 2m 1 furlong stage of the Pertemps, it was still going like the likely winner. 

Neil (very much no 2)
  • edited December 2014
    Don't believe it Mr channing on the same wavelength as me.

• edited December 2014
     My main worry would now be the ground drying out. My two will both really like a slog and a longer trip (a slog makes it like a longer race). As the ground dries the prices on mine drift and the sun is shining there.

I'm on now and very happy with Shelford particularly but I would have liked rain. I think Activial is in the same boat as us. Clondaw Warrior and Pine Creek would be two that want drying ground but I'm going to just stick with what I've done.

5 places means anything you bet is a decent bet each-way.
  • edited December 2014
     My main worry would now be the ground drying out. My two will both really like a slog and a longer trip (a slog makes it like a longer race). As the ground dries the prices on mine drift and the sun is shining there.  I'm on now and very happy with Shelford particularly but I would have liked rain. I think Activial is in the same boat as us. Clondaw Warrior and Pine Creek would be two that want drying ground but I'm going to just stick with what I've done.  5 places means anything you bet is a decent bet each-way.
    Posted by NChanning
     That 1st race looked tiring, definitely soft ground on the times.