You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Channing's Bet of the Week...

Comments

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week...:
    Skybet are making a fortune off this thread, they'd be mental to move it! ;) Today is the day !!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ha, we hope you're right.
  • edited January 2015
     I Hear what you are saying Aussie but I would say the title of the thread is pretty self-explanatory. It does do what it says on the tin. If someone really hates to read it I find it hard to believe they could accidentally stumble into it.
    Posted by NChanning
    hi neil,

yes, apply that same logic elsewhere.  the title of the section betting chat is pretty self-explanatory too.  it does what it says etc.

the reason why these sections exist is to collect like threads together, especially non-poker threads like this one.

it is here probably because it is yours.  we all like you.  the mods do too, no doubt.

it is not an issue about being harmless if accidentally stumbled upon.  it is about not cluttering a general chat section about poker.  bad beat threads are moved, non-poker threads are moved, football has its own section, so too do strategy threads.  i am sure that you agree that there are good reasons for the various sections to exist.  i read that you did consider where to place a betting non-poker thread.

please don't start a thread in general chat about being mis-sold PPI or whether we are aware of a grant to buy solar panels.  the mods seem to have abandoned their positions for now, particularly now when the mention of skybet occurs so regularly.

ps.  this is not intended to be personal, nor critical of you.  i hope that comes through.

• edited January 2015
    I prefer it in here, not sure what the big deal is Rob?

A single betting thread for the ambassador and forum regs to chuck tips in, in the place where most people will see it.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : hi neil, yes, apply that same logic elsewhere.  the title of the section betting chat is pretty self-explanatory too.  it does what it says etc. the reason why these sections exist is to collect like threads together, especially non-poker threads like this one. it is here probably because it is yours.  we all like you.  the mods do too, no doubt. it is not an issue about being harmless if accidentally stumbled upon.  it is about not cluttering a general chat section about poker.  bad beat threads are moved, non-poker threads are moved, football has its own section, so too do strategy threads.  i am sure that you agree that there are good reasons for the various sections to exist.  i read that you did consider where to place a betting non-poker thread. please don't start a thread in general chat about being mis-sold PPI or whether we are aware of a grant to buy solar panels.  the mods seem to have abandoned their positions for now, particularly now when the mention of skybet occurs so regularly. ps.  this is not intended to be personal, nor critical of you.  i hope that comes through.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Hi Aussie - please see our response earlier.
  • edited January 2015
    I prefer it in here, not sure what the big deal is Rob? A single betting thread for the ambassador and forum regs to chuck tips in, in the place where most people will see it.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    here here ........Even if channing not picking winners a few of us are loooooooool,

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : Hi Aussie - please see our response earlier.
    Posted by Sky_Poker

yes, i did see it.  you seem to acknowledge that you are bending the rules on this occasion.  and of course you can do this whenever you like.  my point is that you either uphold the rules or you decide not to.  no big deal. 

incidentally, what are the odds from skybet for perez hilton to win celebrity big brother?

• edited January 2015
    aghhhhh. 

Put another 1 up!!! 

Gamboooool

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : yes, i did see it.  you seem to acknowledge that you are bending the rules on this occasion.  and of course you can do this whenever you like.  my point is that you either uphold the rules or you decide not to.  no big deal.  incidentally, what are the odds from skybet for perez hilton to win celebrity big brother?
    Posted by aussie09
    Hi Aussie

It's not a case of bending rules and yes, no big deal so let's leave it there.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : Hi Aussie It's not a case of bending rules and yes, no big deal so let's leave it there. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    and skybet odds for perez hilton?

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : and skybet odds for perez hilton?  
    Posted by aussie09
    https://www.skybet.com/tv-and-film-specials/celebrity-big-brother/event/17405092
  • edited January 2015
    How about a compromise?

Neil's bet of the week thread stays here, but other people are asked to put their bets into the betting thread or football corner sections of the site?
  • edited January 2015

perez hilton at 8/1 is a good bet.

i think that a lot of people are ignoring that the vote is specifically to "save" each contestant.  there are millions who detest perez but also millions who like him and want to keep him in the house.  however, the vote against him is superfluous.  consider only the size of the vote supporting him versus the vote supporting any other.  other contestants do not have a sizeable positive vote. 

whilst it remains a vote to save, perez hilton at 8/1 from skybet is a good bet.

• edited January 2015
    Shut up Robster, I never go in betting... and I use this thread to pick my winners! 

I always read what Neil says, then pick anything but :) 

Had the 1st/3rd with Invicta lake (looked good on paper) on the nose gogogogogo.
  • edited February 2015
    Shut up Robster, I never go in betting... and I use this thread to pick my winners!  I always read what Neil says, then pick anything but :)  Had the 1st/3rd with Invicta lake (looked good on paper) on the nose gogogogogo.
    Posted by samantha25

sam, you never go in betting chat?  it is effectively a panic room for everyone else then.

ps.  well done with your wins and betting "on the nose".  betting each way is a quick path to the poor house.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : hi neil, yes, apply that same logic elsewhere.  the title of the section betting chat is pretty self-explanatory too.  it does what it says etc. the reason why these sections exist is to collect like threads together, especially non-poker threads like this one. it is here probably because it is yours.  we all like you.  the mods do too, no doubt. it is not an issue about being harmless if accidentally stumbled upon.  it is about not cluttering a general chat section about poker.  bad beat threads are moved, non-poker threads are moved, football has its own section, so too do strategy threads.  i am sure that you agree that there are good reasons for the various sections to exist.  i read that you did consider where to place a betting non-poker thread. please don't start a thread in general chat about being mis-sold PPI or whether we are aware of a grant to buy solar panels.  the mods seem to have abandoned their positions for now, particularly now when the mention of skybet occurs so regularly. ps.  this is not intended to be personal, nor critical of you.  i hope that comes through.  
    Posted by aussie09

Boom!!! Roll up roll up..... Anyone wanting my number just pm me. I do free loft and cavity wall insulation too. Priceless Rob, thanks.

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : sam, you never go in betting chat?  it is effectively a panic room for everyone else then. ps.  well done with your wins and betting "on the nose".  betting each way is a quick path to the poor house.    
    Posted by aussie09
    Just like having a 'safe word' Rob, just less exciting, but needed.

And TYTY ;)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Channing's Bet of the Week... : Just like having a 'safe word' Rob, just less exciting, but needed. And TYTY ;)
    Posted by samantha25
    oklahoma, oklahoma

• edited February 2015

I'm very aware that I'm having a terrible run of putting losers on here but I do hope we get a result this week and I would say that the place terms make this race much better than the ones we've had in the last few weeks. For the people who said that each-way betting is bad or good I have to say that you may as well say going for flushes in hearts is bad.

Sometimes you are getting great pot odds and with one card to come you try and hit your flush and other times it's terrible. In this race the pot odds and the implied odds are both there.

The 3.35 at Newbury is one of the most valuable and historic handicaps of the season so that also makes it one of the most competitive. The good news is though that the bookies offer a really generous FIVE places on a 24-runner handicap as they think the competitive nature makes it the perfect situation for a loss leader. It does mean that at 1/4 of the win price you are basically getting a great place bet on any horse and that the negative equity you give up on your win bet will be easily eclipsed by positive equity which you gain on the place.

Ironically the bookmakers are putting all their marketing energy into the race that is clearly the worst of the day for them.

The fact that the race is so tough to win means that you must have something up your sleeve that the handicapper has not seen and that is why younger horses do well in this one. The fact is though that the form of last year's Triumph Hurdle and the general form of the juveniles last year has not stacked up. They were useless. I'm going to narrow this down by tossing all the now-5-year-olds out and that gets rid of the front two in the betting plus a few more. I'm going to pick two horses each-way who are both from stables in form, who are both improving. Before I mention them there were three I nearly picked and I could even have five bets in this race, that's how good it is for punters. The nearly ones were Amore Alato who is a decent price with Lizzie Kelly's claim being well worth it, Ballybolley is making his handicap debut, it's a stable I like and a big price, very unexposed and tough to rule out, Jolly's Cracked It is trained by a brilliant young trainer in Harry Fry, the horse tootled round Sandown without doing much last time and it's mark is probably hidden.

The two I'm going for are On Tour who, despite being a seven-year old, has only run four times over hurdles. Definitely will be staying well however soft it goes there and will relish the fast pace that this will be run at. Seems very solid to place for me and he's had a nice break to protect the handicap mark. My main problem with this one is we could have run into the Pricewise horse so it may be hard to get on.

My other horse is Fascino Rustico is also a 7-year old, it's had seven runs over hurdles but this is the first in a handicap. I just love the Skelton yard and this one could be anything. Goes well on soft ground, not so solid to place perhaps and could do with jumping better but a very fair price.

I'm having 12 Points each-way On Tour at 12/1 1/4 12345 with Sky Bet

I'm having 8 Points each-way Fascino Rustico at 14/1 1/4 12345 with Sky Bet
  • edited February 2015
    Sign of a Victory & Calipto are looking good to me.........
  • edited February 2015
    Bump, gonna have a go on this, gl everyone!
  • edited February 2015
    Good afternoon everyone.
    Dont normally back horses, but looks good.
    BRENTFORD to beat leeds 7/5.
    £25 .

ANDRE GRAY score a brace 8/1 £10.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited February 2015
    football bet this week 

wins for 

chelsea
    man city
    bournemouth
    middlesboro
    derby
    norwich
    swindon

pays 13.4 /1 on sky bet 

with the cash out button being in play also this week 

best of luck anyone taking a punt with me 
  • edited February 2015
    12/1?  can't beat 7/1 on here!
  • edited February 2015
    12/1?  can't beat 7/1 on here!
    Posted by Donttelmum

Think Pricewise gave it too, & it's been shortening all day with all firms.

Those that got on at 12/1 have real value.

• edited February 2015
     As I was writing it the horse kept shortening. As soon as Pricewise put it up we were never going to get 12/1. Hopefully some of you got on before the price went. Good luck us.
  • edited February 2015
    :(  

Do you advise staying away at 7/1?

• edited February 2015
    Discussed this with NC elsewhere but I'm on Balgarry. Not liking it's doesn't seem to be overly fancied by the stable and I'm on @ 14/1 on Thurs, so having to back it again now BOG. Am liking that the same stable just routed the opposition in the 1.50 
  • edited February 2015
    :(   Do you advise staying away at 7/1?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    If it was recommended by Neil at 14/1, only a complete ice cream would back it at 8/1 or worse.
  • edited February 2015

Definitely wouldn't back it at the new short price. There were a lot I liked in this race and I'm on all of them The five places is great.
  • edited February 2015
    Veering off course here, but take any reasonable price on McCoy for SPOTY, managed to get 8/1 with Skybet for the max they would allow me. 

Had more @ 7/1 with 365. 100% be able to trade at a very short price on this at Xmas when the BBC start promoting SPOTY, and the Horse Racing Board etc start pushing his name for it.