You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rlt's Diary. First update of 2017

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
Very best of luck RLT!
Sounds like you have a good plan and a solid head on, unlike me hehe
See you at the DYMs :)
Ducky

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Hi guys i know what your all thinking, thank god rlt's starting a diary im fed up of reading winners diaries i want to read about someone losing money!

well hopefully thats not going to be the case but let me give you a brief run down of me, my poker history, and why im writing a diary to start with, then ill post todays results and keep the page updated at the end of each day i play poker.

so let me start with some background of me. well my name lee, im 27 years old, me and my girlfriend have 2 children (1 of each) aged 4 and 2. up until recently i played australian rules football for chippenham, England and Britian but unfortunately i had a snowboarding accident in august and it seems pretty likely that playing any contact sports is going to be out of the question for me for a very long time (i dislocated my elbow and tore some ligaments in my upper arm leaving me with partial, but recoverable, manouverability in my arm., but its likely to take up over a year to come back.

So since then ive spent more time on my other hobby, poker, i'm purely a recreational player, ad i've always been honest about the fact that im a losing one, so far my loses on sky are sitting at around £600, well basically i decided that i dont want to be a losing player anymore im not in anyway planning on going pro or anything like that, i just want the hobby to cover itself and if i end up getting more out of it well that would be great.

So that brings me to why im writing this Diary in the first place, ive been reading alot of different books and watching alot of videos and actually paying attention to them, rather than just listening to them in the background while i play or glancing at the book inbetween hands, and taking on board what they are actually trying to teach me. one of the things that was recommended in alot of the videos i watched was to write a diary in the forums so i can set myself goals, and rewards, for myself and everyone else to see as a way of helping me stick to those.

so to my goal, well this is the tough part, this month has been the first month every that i've ended in profit, i've played 196 games (nearly all DYM's) and ended £33 in profit (with a nice £5 rake bonus still to come), I'm not going to set my target in terms of how much profit i want to make, but aim it more towards playing more games and getting more experience, i've noticed a marked improvement in my game and just want that to continue without the pressure of having to make money quick.

so my target for the next month will be:

Play 400 SnG's

I will update my diary at the end of each day that i play with that days results, hopefully your not all bored already and will continue to read it, ill post some interesting hands to aswell. i will mainly be playing DYM's from £1.15-£3.30

So todays results (i know its not january yet and these wont count just thought i may aswell get started)

Todays results

DYM'S PLAYED 50
    DYM'S WON 30
    SYM'S LOST 20

OVERALL PROFIT £15
    BALANCE AT END OF THE DAY £53.50

i know i shouldnt really of been playing 3.30's based on the money in the account but i can deposit if needed i dont consider my balance to be my bank roll its simply all i have in my poker account at the moment :)

So anyway thats it for today, if any of you have any questions about me or my poker or football then ask away. (im a massive newcastle fan by the way)

Outlaws FTW

• edited December 2014
    Good luck. 

The best bit of having a diary on here is not only do you get good feedback but it can help with discipline. Afterall, who wants to say that they have tilted all there BR away playing 50nl or in your case a £50 DYM!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary:
    Good luck.  The best bit of having a diary on here is not only do you get good feedback but it can help with discipline. Afterall, who wants to say that they have tilted all there BR away playing 50nl or in your case a £50 DYM!
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Are you talking about meeeeee?
    :(
  • edited December 2014
    Best of luck RLT - Diaries can certainly help with focus and discipline (although I and a certain mrs d are living proof it doesnt always work)

Plenty to read on here too to help with the DYMs, John connor and Devonfish certainly prove you can build a roll with them.
  • edited December 2014
    Best of luck RLT - Diaries can certainly help with focus and discipline (although I and a certain mrs d are living proof it doesnt always work) Plenty to read on here too to help with the DYMs, John connor and Devonfish certainly prove you can build a roll with them.
    Posted by Phantom66
    What is this...attack a duck day?!? My diary works in every way that's been intended.

RLT ~ Don't let the pressure of writing a diary and not winning get to you, many are crushed by that and feel disillusioned and give up. A diary is a long long journey with ups and downs and rounds and rounds (and hopefully some fun times). For me the most important things are growth, strength and resilience. People like to read about experiences and people like to feel that other people are human too so losing a bit of your BR doesn't mean you're a failure, just human, or just a duck, like me! :)
    Sorry for side-tracking your diary, see you soon!

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary : What is this...attack a duck day?!? My diary works in every way that's been intended. Posted by mrsduck
    Didn't mean that as a dig Mrs D -

I know you have a different (and very refreshing) philosophy and don't diary to stay disciplined - shouldn't have used you as an example in this context - although  it was meant in a light hearted way.

RLTs declaration and my own intent was to use the diary to encourage discipline - in my case it doesn't always work but it is a constant reminder that I should be more disciplined.

GL at the tables Mrs D and please keep up the diary.
  • edited December 2014
    Very best of luck in this.  Sure that your competitive side from your sports can be useful for poker, certain that with a bit of hard work and being honest about your game will see you into a decent winning player.  Look forward to the updates!
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Lee,

Good luck with your next months target of playing 400 sng's, that's 100 a week so should keep you busy, ha ha

I'm guessing that you are playing 1 table maybe 2, if dym's are your game then it's worth trying to play more tables at some point in the future, as this helps with variance.
    I play dym's, currently just moved up to the £5 level, so feel free to ask any questions, if you have any.

Looking forward to reading your diary & progress mate,
    GLGLGL
    dev
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary : Didn't mean that as a dig Mrs D - I know you have a different (and very refreshing) philosophy and don't diary to stay disciplined - shouldn't have used you as an example in this context - although  it was meant in a light hearted way. RLTs declaration and my own intent was to use the diary to encourage discipline - in my case it doesn't always work but it is a constant reminder that I should be more disciplined. GL at the tables Mrs D and please keep up the diary.
    Posted by Phantom66
    I knew you weren't really Phantom, don't worry! :) sorry if I scared you ;)
    Just wanted RLT to know that it's not a good idea to put too much pressure on himself, I know that once you decide to start a diary you can suddenly feel overwhelming pressure to succeed right away as you've thrown yourself into the limelight..
    Hugz ~ (Phantom)
  • edited December 2014
    Best of luck with your poker and diary Lee

Great opening post. It's always nice to get to know a little about the person posting. 
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Mrs D - you did have me a little worried - especially as I had just posted how refreshingly positive the forum was this morning.

hugs back at you (((22)))
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Lee, Good luck with your next months target of playing 400 sng's, that's 100 a week so should keep you busy, ha ha I'm guessing that you are playing 1 table maybe 2, if dym's are your game then it's worth trying to play more tables at some point in the future, as this helps with variance. I play dym's, currently just moved up to the £5 level, so feel free to ask any questions, if you have any. Looking forward to reading your diary & progress mate, GLGLGL dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    The irony is too delicious Dev ;)

Good luck RLT. You seem to have a sensible head on those shoulders so that should serve you well.

Pardew in? Pardew out? Ashely in? Ashley out?
  • edited December 2014
    GL RLT 

see you at the tables
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary : The irony is too delicious Dev ;) Good luck RLT. You seem to have a sensible head on those shoulders so that should serve you well. Pardew in? Pardew out? Ashely in? Ashley out?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Firstly if like to say thanks to all the advice given to
    Me so far and I'll take it on board cheers guys :)

To your question  I an a MASSIVE Ashley fan, the good es done for our club far outweighs the bad in my opinion, selling the naming rights to the stadium is the future of premier league football i dont understand why the fans couldnt see that its pretty obvious. He cleared all our club debts with an interest free loan again a sensible move, would i like him to spend a little more on transfers? Yes but i also cant blame him for not spending it, where years away from challenging for champions league and its better to build up to it slowly in the right way rather than chucking 200mil at it.

As for pardew i defended him the whole way through his bad period i like him as a guy he carries himself well in interviews, he let himself down a couple of times with the myler incident and the pelegrini one aswell, but hes always seemed to be open and honest, i do however feel his position is untenable, i think palace have pulled of abit of a coop getting him and hes done himself a favour in leaving. And i personally will be sad to see him go its been nice having years of managerial stability and i hope we Dont go back to the merry go round it was before. 

To answer devons question when i first started playing the £3.30 Dyms yesterday i was playing 1 at a time purely to get a feel for the game and compare them to the 1.15's that I had been paying i started of pretty well and felt i was playing well so quickly raised it up to the 3 tables that i normally play at the lower level and it went well so i will continue with that. The 200 Dyms i played this month mainly came after the 26th so im sure i will be able to break the 400 next month with relative ease.

To the people advising about the pressures of diary writing, i dont really see it as a pressure, the reason i set myself a game target rather than a monetary one was purely for that reason as i dont want the pressure i just want to be able to play this many games and enjoy myself without the pressures of trying to win a certain amount of money, that being said im still obviously going to be trying to win. Im also going to be using it to look back over and see how ive improved, take advice on how top improve, review some hands and generally just chat to some of the nice guys on the forums :). I might even throw in the odd brag post

Anyway no poker for me today as im at work then im of out for some new year drinks and a meal with the mrs  GL to anyone playing today 
  • edited December 2014
    Oh how rude of me i forgot to wish you all a happy new year! 
    Happy new year to you all i hope its a happy and prosperous one for all of you!
  • edited January 2015

Looking forward to this Diary Mr RLT.

Tell us more about this Aussie Rules footy thing....

"....I played Australian rules football for Chippenham, England and Britian
     ....."

That is amazing, well done. Tell us a bit more about that. How did it start (for you), biggest or best win for Club, or Country, have you travelled anywhere interesting for away games?   
  • edited January 2015

"...To your question I an a MASSIVE Ashley fan, the good es done for our club far outweighs the bad in my opinion, selling the naming rights to the stadium is the future of premier league football i dont understand why the fans couldnt see that its pretty obvious. He cleared all our club debts with an interest free loan again a sensible move, would i like him to spend a little more on transfers? Yes but i also cant blame him for not spending it, where years away from challenging for champions league and its better to build up to it slowly in the right way rather than chucking 200mil at it.

As for pardew i defended him the whole way through his bad period i like him as a guy he carries himself well in interviews, he let himself down a couple of times with the myler incident and the pelegrini one aswell, but hes always seemed to be open and honest, i do however feel his position is untenable, i think palace have pulled of abit of a coop getting him and hes done himself a favour in leaving. And i personally will be sad to see him go its been nice having years of managerial stability and i hope we Dont go back to the merry go round it was before....."

Oh my, at last, someone who appreciates Ashley & Pardew, instead of the sheep-like "they are both clowns". I really do get exercised by all the armchair critics, never managed or owned a Football Club in their life, abusing Mr Ashley & Mr Pardew.

Both of them have been wonderful for NUFC. If Mr Ashley wants to rename his Stadium, good luck to him. He owns it.

And Pardew has, without a shadow of doubt, over-achieved with the resources at his disposal. NUFC rank about 18th in termns of net spend on Transfers in the last 5 years - they average £1.6 million per year. To have kept the Club mid-table or better, even a foray into Europe, is an astonishing feat, imo.   

• edited January 2015
    Looking forward to this Diary Mr RLT. Tell us more about this Aussie Rules footy thing.... "....I played Australian rules football for Chippenham, England and Britian  ....." That is amazing, well done. Tell us a bit more about that. How did it start (for you), biggest or best win for Club, or Country, have you travelled anywhere interesting for away games?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I wrote a little in the claim to fame post about this so i will try and keep it short i could ramble on for days.

It all started for me on my 22nd birthday i was down thepuib and ran into someone i had been friends with and played football with at school, he explained about aussie rules and how hed been playing it for years and they had just moved the club to chippenham and that i should give it ago, i was abit drunk and would of agreed to anything at the time so said yes, and wow what happened from there i could never of imagined.

my best win for club would be in our first ever grand final appearance, we were a team of only english players with only english coaches that had never had any input from australians, playing agaisnt teams full of australians that were living in the citys of the other teams at the time, and while i know being australian doesnt make them good at the game, having the background of growing up with the sport and knowing the sport was a massive advantage for them, some of our guys didnt even know the rules :/.

For country this is an easy choice, the first time we won the european cup (we've won it 2 more times since), beating croatia in the final is easily the best win ive ever had, i had only been playing the game 6 months and was originally on the reserve list for the tournament luckily for me one of the guys selected couldnt asffodd to play (being amatuer and very new to the uk its all self funded),i played in his position and got called up, i impressed during pre tournament training and managed to get myself into the strating line up, i went on to be top scorer of the tournament and we won the cup. it really was the stuff dreams are made of

as for places i have travelled this is basically the main source of all the travelling i have done, before i played australian rules football i had only been to france and here in the uk, since then i have been to croatia, czech republic, france again, denmark, sweden and most importantly Australia where i played for britian in the world cup, i only wish i had more money to have extended my stay in australia to do some travelling, for an amatuer sport the whole set up was very professional (which ofcourse i agree with) and if we didnt have a game we were training or watching videos of previous ganes etc, or gaining coaching qualifications while in australia. it was the best month of my life and only wish i had the chance to do it again, unfortuantely the timing of my snowboarding injury meant i missed out on last years tournament.

But if im being honest the thing i take away most from my time paying aussie rules (like i said in my orginal diary post its most likely over) is the confidence its given me as a person, to say i was a socially awkward person before i started playing would probably be an understatement, the confidence its given me to meet new people, become more confident in myself and improve me on the whole, and the friends that i have made because of this will easily be the most important thing i take from my time playing, its earnt me promotions at work through being able to express myself and show my qualities in the right ways. and i wil forever be grateful to My mate who got me into it that one drunken night down the pub :)

• edited January 2015
    So my first session into my challaneg and diary is now over,and what a shocking start it was still grinding the 3.30 dyms i got off to a horendus start losing 8 games striaght but i was always confident in turning it around, although i havent been back through the hands in those games yet i think most of my general play was ok, atleast half of those games i got the chips in while ahead and just didnt run well, i stayed confident and played through it and then things went completely the other way and i won 9 straight before losing the final game of the session. this seems to be a pattern to all my sessions i tend to start of very badly then grow into is and turn it back around. 

I would just like to say a thankyou to stuarty117 for some advice he gave me a few days ago while we were sat on the table, such simple advice but it has helped me immensely and i feel so much more confident when playing these games now.

so now for the goal update:

18/400 games played

Dyms played today:18
    Dyms won 9
    Dyms lost 9

Profit/loss -£5.40
    C4p:54

also met some nice guys at the tables tonight and look forward to playing them again in the future. good night all :)
  • edited January 2015
    Hello again everyone, day two into my challange and its been a good one, however yet again i got of to a poor start losing my first 4 games, i dont think its an attention thing i am certianly focused on the poker when i sit down to play but still its something i dont really want to get into the habit of doing at the start of each session, anyway as with yesterday i played through it but with even better results today. i also decided to buy into the Orfordable deep stack which along with the forum dtd is one of my favourite tournaments, however i feel like i let myself down in this tournament i was no where near aggresive enough and eventually my chips just dwindled away and i ended up going out in a 50/50 hand opponenets poket pair vs my AJ

i spent abit more time picking out gaes today, there are a few guys ive already noticed are a higher standard of player than some of the others at the £3.30 level, hence wy they are grinding it, and feel for now its bes to avoid them if possible, and defiantly not have 2 or 3 of them sat with me.

To todays results

Orfordable deep stack final position 40/120

DYMs played 24
    DYMs won 15
    DYMs lost 9

Todays profit/loss +£7.50
    C4p total = 129pts
    Balance = £55.60

feeling very good agaisnt the way i played in most games, although i defiantly had abit of luck on my side in some games, i was avoiding flips as often as possible and it seems to be working out for me, this was probably my biggest weakness before i was always happy to get involved in a flip wether with the two overcards or the pocket pair, this is something im learning how to avoid but also accepting it will be needed at some points.
  • edited January 2015

Am enjoying this Diary so far, keep it coming Mr Aussie Rules Champ.
  • edited January 2015
    A good read so far RLT. As for avoiding the so called better players maybe watch them play a few of their games as an observer you may pick up a few tips/tells and sitting with them in future may be far more enjoyable ;-) Good luck with your quest.
  • edited January 2015
    A good read so far RLT. As for avoiding the so called better players maybe watch them play a few of their games as an observer you may pick up a few tips/tells and sitting with them in future may be far more enjoyable ;-) Good luck with your quest.
    Posted by a00rock
    Yeh thats something i try to do quite often at the moment im only playing 2 tables at a time, but i generally have another two open watching other games normally other dym's but if the main event has an interesting table with some well known names sat together i will watch that instead of one of the dym's, i try and watch some of devinfish or john connors games as far as im aware they are two of the biggest DYM grinders here so i figured they would be some of the best people to watch. 
  • edited January 2015
    Nice read , best of luck fella

Pat
  • edited January 2015
    Nice read , best of luck fella Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    cheers pat, been good fun playing dyms with you recently :)
  • edited January 2015
    RLT, you left me an open goal with that post a couple of spots above, but for once I'm not gonna tap it in.
  • edited January 2015
    RLT, you left me an open goal with that post a couple of spots above, but for once I'm not gonna tap it in.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    i think i spotted what u meant and have edited it now, was sent in from my phone so the autocorrect feature must have been trying to change my sentences again
  • edited January 2015
    Day 3 Update.

unusually i started of this session witha  major losing streak so that was a nice bonus, however i played some pretty awful poker throughout the session, playing tomany hands, not knowing when to let my bluffs go and instead just donating chips to people. i managed to turn it around a little in the end. but two bad beats in my last two games (ak vs aq AIPF, and QQ Vs JJ AIPF) meant today was a losing session instead of a profitable one, but hey it happens things like that dont both me i know ill dish out just as many as i take :)

Todays results

Dyms played 26
    dyms won 13
    dyms lost 13

Todays rofit/loss -7.80
    C4P = 204
    Balance = £47.80

challange update 68/400 games played

im well on target for the amount of games id lieto play for the month, and my loses/profits are defiantly bareable, theres not alot in it and if i keep improving im sure they will start getting a little better.

• edited January 2015
    best of luck with the diary will follow with interest
  • edited January 2015
    So due to some technical issues i wasnt able to do an update last night after playing (lost my internet for a few hours) it was abit annoying really as i was sat in two DYMs both with over 3500k chips and while there was no garuntee id cash i am confident i would of, but anyway thats online poker and it happens and i should of done better in my other games to ensure that something was already covered for.

yesterdays results

dyms played 24
    dyms won 12
    dyms lost 12

profit/loss -£7.20
    C4p 279

so i seem to be sitting around 50% most days i need to work harder on my game, i think ive spotted one or two leaks in my game after reviewing some hands, so im going to work hard on those during tonights session to hopefuly cut down on some of the losses.