You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rlt's Diary. First update of 2017

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Good luck with the diary.

Shared a table with you which wasnt good for me when you were the big stack and to my left.

I got unlucky on the bubble when my kk was beaten by aj but thankfully i got lucky v you spiking a k to win with with kq v your aq to get a decent stack back. At least we both cashed.

Wasnt being anti social i was just playing on phone otherwise would have been on chat to say hi.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary:
    So due to some technical issues i wasnt able to do an update last night after playing (lost my internet for a few hours) it was abit annoying really as i was sat in two DYMs both with over 3500k chips and while there was no garuntee id cash i am confident i would of, but anyway thats online poker and it happens and i should of done better in my other games to ensure that something was already covered for. yesterdays results dyms played 24 dyms won 12 dyms lost 12 profit/loss -£7.20 C4p 279 so i seem to be sitting around 50% most days i need to work harder on my game, i think ive spotted one or two leaks in my game after reviewing some hands, so im going to work hard on those during tonights session to hopefuly cut down on some of the losses.
    Posted by RLT16
    Keep it going Rlt16 your not far off on most of your days so far.
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck with the diary. Shared a table with you which wasnt good for me when you were the big stack and to my left. I got unlucky on the bubble when my kk was beaten by aj but thankfully i got lucky v you spiking a k to win with with kq v your aq to get a decent stack back. At least we both cashed. Wasnt being anti social i was just playing on phone otherwise would have been on chat to say hi.
    Posted by Phantom66
    np i always wonder when i see people i normally chat to while im playing on my phone if they are just sat there talking away at me :), was good to see you at the table with me any advice from what u saw?
  • edited January 2015
    Not a long session today as im about to start work so spent most of the afternoon/evening asleep :)
    but the games i did play went well winning 4 of the 6 i played with the 1 of the losses a sucker punch and the other a very unusual game where there were still 6 players with the blinds 300/600 and to be honest i wasnt really sure what to do just ended up shoving 2 random cards every now and again. the other loss was on the button my KK vs A3 and flop comes 33x. nothing i can do about that it was right move to make so overall happy with my short amount of games today.

todays update

dyms played 6
    dyms won 4
    dyms lost 2

todays profit/loss +£4.20
    c4p 297
    total games played this month 98/400

see you all tommorow and best of luck to you all
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary : np i always wonder when i see people i normally chat to while im playing on my phone if they are just sat there talking away at me :), was good to see you at the table with me any advice from what u saw?
    Posted by RLT16
    I didnt have the opportunity to get involved with you much - you had position on me and a big stack.

There was one hand were I open raised and you reraised me from the button. I actually had a small pair and folded - as your raise seemed super strong plus you had position and the big stack. I dont recall us ever going down the streets.

From what a remember your play came across as solid - not entering too many pots and always open raising and reraising or folding if there was action ahead of you. 

By the bubble though I think you probably got a bit more involved than you needed to - you had over 6k in chips - the money was more or less locked in and you should have just let the 3 2k avg stacks fight it out. 

I dont mean sit out everything, just keep ticking over with the occasional raise to maintain the advantage. I have seen some big stacks shut down literally completely and get blinded down and lose that is the 2nd biggest sin in a dym with a big chip lead. The biggest though is to get involved unecessarily and lose a big chunk of chips in one go and get sucked back into a battle and lose.

One example I think you were reraised all-in after a minraise and called with TT. Opponent had AJ I think and hit the jack, you have no need to go to war and took a dent in your stack. 

Your call to my shove over your raise with AQ was probably correct though (I didnt want it or like it - until I luckboxed the river) but in that case I think the relative chip stacks meant it was right to call. In the previous hand blinds were much lower and opponents stack was bigger so you had less invested and more to lose.

Bubble DYMs is where all the money is won and lost and its really about understand the dynamics of the table, relative chip stacks and picking up on shoving and calling ranges - both from general play and specific differences with opponents from their frequency and showdowns when you see them.

PS If you like getting a big chip stack and being able to use it effectively - try a few 6 max - there you get to play more and use the stack to make sure you win where the bigger money is rather than sitting on your hands waiting for the cash/

• edited January 2015
    Hi phantom thanks for your reply and thoughts. 

I have had problems with my bubble play as a big stack before and to be honest im not sure what works best for me yet or whats the most profitable way to play it, I've probably had better results playing the way i did yesterday, my thoughts behinds play were that with a heavy chip lead none of you 3 are going to want to play against me and risking going all in unless very strong, so your all folding a wider range of hands against me, meaning i can raise with a wider range of hands and get through. 

As for the pocket 10's vs AJ hand i think the  guy was sat at around 1.3-1.5 k chips at the time with me sat on 6k i figure against his shoving range  this would be a profitable play in the long run as even after the all in im going to be sat with 4.5k chips and more times than not it was going to be a 50/50 race situation. Im probably wrong but those were my thoughts at the Time and maybe its something i should be avoiding but  at the moment my thinking is to take the chance.

I think i was probably using the same reasoning when i made the call to your all in i had made my way back over 6k chips and was still likely to cash.Im definitely more confident with my play when im a short stack and can either shove or fold as I've been in that situation more often.

I tried some 6 Max's recently and actually had some good results it might be worth looking into but I'm not confident enough of getting into the top 2 regularly enough to make it profitable at the moment. 
    Thanks again for your advice I'll try and apply it to what I'm doing and see how it works out.

• edited January 2015
    Hi phantom thanks for your reply and thoughts.  I have had problems with my bubble play as a big stack before and to be honest im not sure what works best for me yet or whats the most profitable way to play it, I've probably had better results playing the way i did yesterday, my thoughts behinds play were that with a heavy chip lead none of you 3 are going to want to play against me and risking going all in unless very strong, so your all folding a wider range of hands against me, meaning i can raise with a wider range of hands and get through.  As for the pocket 10's vs AJ hand i think the  guy was sat at around 1.3-1.5 k chips at the time with me sat on 6k i figure against his shoving range  this would be a profitable play in the long run as even after the all in im going to be sat with 4.5k chips and more times than not it was going to be a 50/50 race situation. Im probably wrong but those were my thoughts at the Time and maybe its something i should be avoiding but  at the moment my thinking is to take the chance. I think i was probably using the same reasoning when i made the call to your all in i had made my way back over 6k chips and was still likely to cash.Im definitely more confident with my play when im a short stack and can either shove or fold as I've been in that situation more often. I tried some 6 Max's recently and actually had some good results it might be worth looking into but I'm not confident enough of getting into the top 2 regularly enough to make it profitable at the moment.  Thanks again for your advice I'll try and apply it to what I'm doing and see how it works out.
    Posted by RLT16

That bold bit is 100% spot on to start with but the last bit is what will get you into trouble "meaning I can raise with a wider range of hands and get through".

It's not about being able to raise with a wide range of hands just because they will (probably) get through.

When you are big stack you are going to get more than your fair share of walks in the BB. Getting one raise through every 2/3 orbits will be all you need to maintain your stack size and so you dont have to "open your range" too much. 

I just sensed you were min-raising a bit too often - with position I may have taken advantage of that, without it I just had to bide my time. My preference would always be to not go to war with the big stack - I just had to take my chance from the BB with a s/stack and KQ and got lucky.

In terms of the 2 all-in calls - I said I think you were right to call me. The TT v AJ is more marginal - It's not a bad call, just one you dont need to make. I would suggest posting that in the clinic and/or running it through an ICM calculator to get a better view and help you with similar decisions.

If you do play 6 max I would recommend you dont think about cashing (unless very short on the bubble) and always be thinking about going for the win with the x4BI reward it is all about 1st place. It also helps improve HU play which you will never learn from dyms.

• edited January 2015
    i'll pop it on the clinic, i ran it through an icm calaculator and it said it was a marginal call ($0.04) more icm equity
    but if im being honest im not 100% sure that i am using the icm calculator right when it says to estimate hero's equity agaisbnt villians range so it could be well outside of that lol.

i understand what your saying about becoming to loose though just oen more thing i hae got to work on and will improve at :)
  • edited January 2015
    so last night wasnt a very good night and it ended up with me tilting, not at the game but at myself I did some stupid things in a few DYM's and instead of reacting the right way i did even more stupid things, im not a very tilty (is that a word) person normal im quite open about the fact that im generally a losing player and that i expect it and im working on ending it. but this is just another part of the learning curve and i know i will get through it.

I was given a free entry into the £11 turbo tuesday main event and was a tad unfortunate to go out as early as i did but i dont see how i could of played it alot differently, got involved in two hands first was QJ from the button with no action so raised it 3x got called by BB, flop comes T J Q BB raises to about 350 i reraise to 1250 he calls, turn blanks BB checks i check behind trying not to go all in. rivers comes 9, BB checks again, and i check behind he reveals AK for the nut straight. i was probably abit to agressive with this hand on the flop but i couldnt see him having AK at the time having not reraised pre flop.

then next hank i got dealk AK spades from the small blind with arond 1300 chips remaining, no acton round to the button he 3x raises, i shove on him thinking he could be raising with alot from there. he cals and shows AA and hits another A on the flop.

as for the DYMs well they started of really nicely i won the first 5 i played which is unusual for me i normally start bad then improve, after that though i only won 2 of the next 10 i probabnly got to overconfident with the way i was playing and instead of sticking to it let myself get to involved with poor hands that i shouldnt of been playing. ah well i liver and learn. im still £1.50 in profit since new years day so its not all bad i just know it could of been alot more if i had just been more disciplined.

I also found some great value in an early morning tournament it was a £20 garunteed (15 minute) tournament, that only had 2 runners with a minute left to reg, by the time i regged two more had also but there was a little overlay and i managed to increase my stack for a 2.70 profit in that so not bad going :)

TODAYS DYMS PLAYED 15
    DYMS WON 7
    DYMS LOST 8

TODAYS PROFIT/LOSS -£4.20
    C4P 355
  • edited January 2015
    A much better day today in the end although once again i found myself starting of terribly, i only won 2 of my first 10 dyms,the issue is defiantly with my style of play i think i find myself wanting to play more when i first start playing then once i've lost a few i give myself a telling off and revert back to what normally wins me games.

For the first time since i joined sky poker got some moron keyboard warriors at my tables today which was obviusly a little disappointing but i know theres always gonna be people like that wherever you play poker, or anywhere online for that matter, needless to say i reported them and expect them to recieve a chat ban shortly. i'm all for banter at the tables and im fine with swearing to but the stuff this guy was saying was out of order. anyway i wont dwell on it as it has no bearing on me or my poker or my enjoment of the game as i took his money anyway ;)

I was really pleased with my play tonight (the 10 games i played at lunch time were abbysmal) i seem to have got myself in a real good run, i played suited connectors alot better than i normally do (althought it does help when u flop the nuts) i also seemed to be getting better at getting vlue from my good hands but will have to wait and see over next few days wherever its anything ive actually improved on, or if i just had abit of good luck.

got a busy weekend ahead so i dont expect to be on much which is a shame but im sure ill fit a few games in.

Todays DYMs played = 27
    DYMs won = 15
    DYMs lost = 12
    Total games played 140/400 (well ahead of target)

todays profit/loss +90p (also recieved my £4.79 from last months c4p)
    C4P = 4.36
    Balance £45.69

• edited January 2015
    So i dont update my diary for one day and it dissapears down to page 4, u guys talk to much. anyway i forgot to do an update yesterday as i was abit busy so i got two days worth of updates to do.
    yesterday went OK only played 11 games winning 6 and losing 5 but my play was better than it had been in recent days so i was happy.
    As for today again i only had time for a low amount of games but from the 8 i played i won 6 and the other 2 i went out on the bubble so i dont really have any bad thoughts about today i did make one semi loose call on the bubble of the last game but i think it was probably the right decision to make in the long run.

yesterday and todays results combined

dyms played 19
    dyms won 12
    dyms lost 7
    last 2 days profit/loss +£9.30
    C4P 493
    Balance £54.99
    total games played this month 159/400

Im well ahead of the games id like to play for the month target at the moment and im happy that ive managed to do it so far without losing money overall, I've met some really nice guys while playing who have been very helpful in giving me tips and advice some of it has really helped my game and i have no doubts that without that advice id of already lost most of my bankroll playing the 159 games that i have so far. so id ust like to say thanks everyone that has offered up advice and if anyone has any more for me keep it coming :)

couldnt playthe orfordable tonight as unfortunately i have to start work soon (got to love overnight shifts) and i didnt want to crush it get to the final table then have to leave so i figured i would let someone else take all the gory :)

good night all and best of luck at the tables
  • edited January 2015
    Hi RLT replied to ur PM
  • edited January 2015
    Cheers Stuart im on my phone at the moment which wont allow me to see my pk's without flash player so I'll give it a read in the morning. Thanks again was fun playing tonight (always easier to win when theres a player away to my right and left) :)
  • edited January 2015
    hello again, like yesterday only a short session as im back of to work in a minute and also like yesterday it went very well, i can see why people say weekend games are softer some of the plays i've seen were borderline crazy but if im being honest i was probably making similiar moves not so long ago so i shouldnt be harsh, and like i see you all say these are the players i want to be playing agaisnt so long may it continue

Todays DYMS played 5
    DYMS won 4
    DYMs lost 1
    todays profit/loss +£7.50
    C4P  508
    Total games played 164/400

Balance £62.49

• edited January 2015
     Always interested to know what the night workers are up to, so what do you do 
  • edited January 2015
     Always interested to know what the night workers are up to, so what do you do 
    Posted by 68Trebor

Hi Trebor.

Im currently a floor manager of a mcdonalds store in chippenham, we are a 24/7 store so we get some quite crazy shift patterns, however the jobs alright its fast paced, pays the bills, affords me a couple of hoildays a year and pays for my hobbies, what more can a person ask for. 

If any of you ever fancy a burger feel free to pop in and say hi :) 

What about you whats your proffesion? 
  • edited January 2015
    so last nights sessions was very up and down, i started of with a 5 game winning streak (although 1 of these was extremely lucky hitting a 2 outer on the river) and then i dont know what happened to play but it went out the window, i dont know if theres such a thing as positive tilt but it seems like the results from last 2 days and the start i had last night led me to thinking i was capable of pulling of whatever i wanted, when infact it was being senisble and playing smart poker. well anyway this led to me losing the next 7 dyms and wiping out most of my profit for the last 2 days. i did manage to re coup some of that in a £5.50 game this morning though.

i also allowed my self to play a £5.75 bounty hunter as abit of a reward for my poker the last couple of days, i didnt make the cash but dont think i played to badly in it the aggresive nature isnt really my style though and i think im better suited to the deep stacks.

dyms played 13
    dyms won 6
    dyms lost 7
    todays profit/loss -£10.85
    C4p 5.57
    Balance £51.64

total games played 180/400

• edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015
    nice read :)
    Posted by imhardwork
    thankyou very much, im honored that you have chosen my diary for your first post to the forum :)
  • edited January 2015
    Hello again a much better day today, started of well and continued in much the same way, i stayed relaxed and played sensible poker for the whole session, no negative or positive tilt just smart play (or its probably better described as positive variance) it could of gone a little bit better had i not shoved 88/jj/kk into aces 3 games straight all on the bubble. but the plays were defiantly the right ones to make at the time just got unlucky that they had it each time and held.

I also spent a bit of time watching the £5.50 games and taking some notes on a few guys ready for when i have a BR to take a couple of shots, and if i continue to play the way that i did today then hopefully it wont be to long until i can take those shots. going to aim to get 22 buy ins as suggested in johnconnors blog take the 2 shots and see how it goes.

I was looking forward to playing the DTD games tonight as i really like the structure, but something came up and i wasn't able to so instead i concentrated on the DYMs, which on the plus side probably saved me some money.

Todays dyms played 21
    Todays dyms won 14
    Todays dyms lost 7
    Todays profit/loss +£14.70
    C4P  620
    Total games played 201/400
    Balance £66.34

So i'm half way through my challenge and i'm still very much enjoying my poker which is the main thing, but enjoying it a lot more than i would of in the past as i've actually made money during this period rather than losing it, its no massive amounts and it isn't going to get me rich, but like i said at the start of the diary that's not my goal, i just enjoy playing poker and want to be able to do so without as little cost, or no cost whatsoever. I feel my game has come on a long way in a relatively short period of time. with my ROI increasing what i consider to be a massive 7.8% so far. But i don't want to stop there i know there's plenty of learning and improving still to do.

Games playedAv profitAv stakeAv ROIProfit
    Before1st jan 20153237-£0.19£2.75-5.40%-£600

1/5/2015 - present197£0.09£3.012.40%£17.50

I know i've already said it but i feel like i should say it again thank you to anyone has offered up advice to help improve my play, stuarty117 deserves a special mention as he has been by far the biggest contributor so far. along with johnconnors DYM blog (which ive probably read 9 or 10 times)

Good night everyone and Gl at the tables

• edited January 2015
    Nice going RLT...keep it up
    GL
    dev
  • edited January 2015
    very nice improvement lee
    well played and long may it continue
  • edited January 2015
    Its great to see a diary where a player is truly enjoying the game. Also the gradual improvement in results is a bonus for the effort you are putting in. Keep up the good work ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    Hi RLT

Thank you for the mention.

A few guys have helped me to become better so its only right to pass on some of my experiences.

I am glad they are helping.

As i was saying that was a fold last night reasons are: -

Guy has shoved and someone has called even if we have AA we could fold, because we can cash by folding. Plus you called for nearly 3/4 of your stack which only left you with 500 odd chips. Yes its a call if we only have to call say 1/4 of our chips as we have plenty behind to have a 2nd bite at the cherry.

But in the end you got a little lucky and cashed anyway lol.
  • edited January 2015
    Thank you Lee for thinking about me while I lost connection today, a real gent.
    not many about these days.
    Gl GL GL GL
    dev
  • edited January 2015
    Thank you Lee for thinking about me while I lost connection today, a real gent. not many about these days. Gl GL GL GL dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Your welcome i dont do it for eveyone just the ones who i know or feel would try and do the same if the situation was reversed :), i did steal one bb of you but i was justified in raising as i had AA :)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Rlt's Diary : Your welcome i dont do it for eveyone just the ones who i know or feel would try and do the same if the situation was reversed :), i did steal one bb of you but i was justified in raising as i had AA :)
    Posted by RLT16
    Thanks mate,
    just wrote out a nice post & a ****** sky pop up came up, so had to delete it...aaaaaagh.
    nice hand btw.
    yeah, stealing chips from away player is never nice, especially when we know them, but it's all part of the game.
    everyone does it, myself included, doesn't make it right though.
    best wishes & good luck,
    dev

• edited January 2015
    Hello again all. I didn't update my diary yesterday basically due to work commitments but i did manage to play 4 games before i had to work, however i lost all 4 and it was a total disaster, i wiped out nearly all the profit i had made from the day before, so i was abit annoyed at myself, i looked back through the hands to see what went wrong and basically it was just me being a moron, there were no bad beats, i cant blame variance, it was just me making stupid plays, not getting value for my strong hands chasing draws without the outs to make the calls worth while, just pretty poor all round play really.

However today i threw steady progression out of the window instead opting to just crush everyone that got in my way. i started of pretty poor losing 2 of my first 3 games, what happened after that was unexpected to say the leas, i played a total of 26 games today winning 20 of them, i ended the night on a 12 win streak, and having seen Devs thread in which he has achieved 18 straight wins (albeit at the £5.50 level) im hoping i can carry on the good form and maybe sneak 19 in a row :)

i learned a valuable lesson in table selection today, 3 of the 6 games i lost came at the hands of one man, mr JohnConnor, i thought having read his blog countless times id have a good idea of how he plays, what he's holding when he shoves on me etc etc, and to be honest i think i did, but it didn't help at all he still took all my chips even though i had position on him. however it was a good learning experience watching what he does and how he goes about it.

Yesterdays dyms played 4
    yesterdays dyms won 0
    yesterdays profit/loss -£13.20

Todays dyms played 26 (one of these was a 2.25)
    Todays dyms won 20
    Todays dyms lost 6
    Todays profit/loss +£33.25
    C4P 710
    Balance £86.39
    Total games played this month 231/400

I wont get carried away by todays results, overall i played well but i spotted a few more areas of my game that need improving one of which being my value bets, i tried posting a hand to the clinic but its being a bit rubbish for some reason and just posting a complete mess. so instead ill ask here, i know its abit general but how do you go about getting value from hands when you've flopped a set or better, i understand it depends a lot on the texture of the board wether its wet or dry, but it seems at the moment whenever i get these hands i struggle to get as many chips as i should be for them, sometimes i slow play them, sometimes i bet them, either way idont think im maximizing my return, i try and check into the aggressive players and let them bet into me, and try and bet into the calling stations, unless these people are picking up really good reads on me and just know when i have it, i'm not really sure what i can do to improve this area of my game to be honest. any advice greatly apprieciated.

once again, good night and good luck to you all!

• edited January 2015
    Nice going Lee,
    gl with your winning streak today.
    unlucky to lose those 4 games mate & I know how you feel, but it happens, so we have to learn how to deal with it, at least the next day made up for it, wp.
    Table selection is important, as you found out, & johnconnor is 'the master' so don't feel bad losing to him, I have many many times, but at least you are getting a good lesson at the same time so that's some consolation, ha ha
    I think most players would find their results improved if they used it more often, but I guess if you are going to play at certain times that appeal to you then you have to play whoever is there.
    you never stop learning at this game as I am finding out, which is great & means we can only move forward from there & win even more games & money in time.
    getting value from hands is a fine art in itself & sometimes we have to accept we are not always going to get the maximum, unless one or more of our opponents have hit the hand too.
    if you limp in with pocket pairs,(not saying you do), but many do, trying to hit their sets, then suddenly on a 27j board say, start going mad betting like 250 from a 300 pot for example, then it's an obvious tell they have hit their trips, so maybe 1/2 pot bet might be better.
    checking is ok but a 1/2 pot bet each time is a good place to start, I think, as checking is just wasting a betting street if no-one else does it for you, & we are losing chips. if everyone else has missed completely we are getting nothing anyway, so by betting & building the pot if a player calls you then we are in business as they have something, top pair maybe, flush, something anyway.
    also raising with pocket pairs just as you would/should with AK or QQ KK AA etc, is an option & what I would do with them,(if & when I choose to play them), this builds the pot so when we hit we should get a good return, we can also bluff when we miss & rep any K or A if we choose to.
    some things to think about anyway. we also have to remember we only hit our set 1 in 7.5 times so need to have a back up plan for when we do miss. yes we will normally fold but at least by raising pre-flop we have options to still play & win the hand.
    I know some players say limping in with pocket pairs is the best way of playing them & getting in for cheap seems a good strategy, which is fine, but I think raising is the better option long term & gives us the better rewards & options. It's all a matter of opinion though & finding out what works best for you is what matters.
    have a good day today
    gl,dev

• edited January 2015
    so another session over with and another good profitable day, thats 5 of the last 7 days in profit which for me is a massive improvement, i have come such a long way in a relatively short amount of time very happ with how i played once again today, although i did stupidly get myself into a flip during my last game that i didnt really need to get involved in. I started of with 3 more wins, continuing my streak from yesterday, but sadly after 15 wins my run came to an end, so devs 18 in a row still stands tall. but who knows maybe sometime next week, its definitely not an easy task thats for sure.

didnt really bump into any of the regs today, which i have to admit is quite nice ur great to chat to but having you there doesnt make the game any easier.

only a short session today as lucky me has gone from working over night shifts a few days ago, to starting at 5 o'clock in the morning today.. got to love shift work...

Todays DYMs played 13
    Todays DYMs won 10
    Todays DYMs lost 3
    Todays profit/loss +£17.10
    C4P  749
    Total games played 244
    Balance £103.49

im close to the 20 buy ins i was aiming for to take a few shots at £5.50 dyms and feel its important to move up the levels when playing well, so if tommorow starts well i will take a couple of shots up at the 5.50 level and if that doesnt go so well move back down to the £3.30's, if nothing else it should be interesting.

Good night again all, see you tommorow