You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Timmyrara 2nd year being a PRO

edited July 2017 in Poker Chat

Hi all Timmyrara here I always wanted to start a diary on Sky poker so here we go.
My name is Tim Rowland im 27 years old from Boston ( Not in America ) in Lincolnshire. Out of poker I pretty much love all sports but mainly Football big Man u fan love my Box sets my favourites are Sopranos Breaking Bad and the Wire and i love a good drink with the lads. I fell in love with poker when I was 15/16 coming home from youth club on Friday nites slapping channel 4 on and watching Late nite poker and ive been hooked ever since. 4 years ago I started writing down every live and online session into a diary so I could show my family I wasn't a crazy gambler and I actually made money from my hobby. I always wanted to go Full time but the timing never felt right but Dec 13 I thought im not married and have no kids why not give it ago had a good talk with family and in Feb 2014 I was Full time I just missed my target for the year but still made a ok wage so overall I was happy. Started grinding 100nl 6-8 tables plus some tourneys. 1st 5 months went fine on cash but then seemed to hit brick wall for like 2 months so for the last 4 months I moved to Dyms £11-£55 I finished the year nicely with 4 solid months.

My targets for 2015 are :

Top 10 leaderboard on Sharkscope for Sngs
Top 20 leaderboard on Sharkscope for Tourneys.

Avg 25k - 30k points a month on Sky.

Live

Play more £100 + tourneys at Dusk till dawn
Try sats to play to GPS Tour Gukpt and Sky events

Im not a greedy person so my target for the year will be the same as last year £15k - £20k overall profit just missed it last year so with it being my 2nd year bit my more experience behind me im confident I will get there.
Im not saying this is gonna be a crazy exciting diary im just a normal lad from a small town who loves poker and loves talking about poker and oh yeah im trying to make it my job. I will try and post daily hope you enjoy and thank you for reading.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Best of luck with your poker, looking forward to reading your diary :)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hey Tim,

Looking forward to this.

All the best with it mate.

I'm sure you'll achieve the leader boards.

25-30k a month points in some volume! How many hours do you plan to play per week?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Timmyrara 2nd year being a PRO:
    Best of luck with your poker, looking forward to reading your diary :)
    Posted by RLT16
    Thank you bud. I see you have started one aswell so im looking forward to yours Good luck with your year.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hey Tim, Looking forward to this. All the best with it mate. I'm sure you'll achieve the leader boards.   25-30k a month points in some volume! How many hours do you plan to play per week?
    Posted by LARSON7
    Hi ya Larson.
    Last year I avg bout 180 hours a month + I have 2 monitors so I can play up to 6-10 tables so I usually get to my target.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Timmyrara 2nd year being a PRO : Thank you bud. I see you have started one aswell so im looking forward to yours Good luck with your year.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    cheers man give me 3/4 years and ill have probably grinded my way up the the £11 dyms with you ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    best of luck in your diary and goals buddy
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Timmyrara 2nd year being a PRO : cheers man give me 3/4 years and ill have probably grinded my way up the the £11 dyms with you ;)
    Posted by RLT16
    Keep playing and learning im pretty sure your being moving up the stakes.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    best of luck in your diary and goals buddy
    Posted by liamboi11
    Thank you Liamboi
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hi Tim

On the occasions I've been on a MTT table with you i've always found you a very tough player, but, equally importantly IMO, i've always found you very professional in attitude to bad beats and other peoples playing styles. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So 3 days in and weve had a nice steady start :

Day1 -

Dym = + £100
    Tourney = - £26
    Points = 1091
    Hours = 6

Total = + £74

Day2

Dym = + £154
    Tourney = - £39
    Points = 330
    Hours 3

Total = + £115

Day 3

Dym = +£101
    Tourney = - £50
    Points = 1390

Total = + £51

Really happy with my Dym Results but 0 in 3 Main's and 0 in 3 mini's.
    Gonna be grinding Dyms all day again 2morrow while watching all the FA CUP action and i want to make top 10 in SNG Team sky poker promo.
    So time for some sleep now nite all.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well done for your profits in 2014 and all the best for this year! 
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Wow, amazing numbers there Timmy, & a great work ethic by the look of it. This Diary should be a good read.

Boston, Lincs?

Lincolnshire is quite a hotspot for Sky Poker players, young Ben Nuttall (he's not really young, but he looks about 12) lives somewhere in Lincolnshire. Do you ever bump into him on the Tables?

Good luck with the Team Sky Poker quest, too, hope to see you @ DTD in February.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Good luck and will read with interest.

A few questions if I may? How do you go about playing 10 tables? Especially at 6 max where the decisions come thick and fast. I can manage 6 and that takes a lot of concentration as I try and watch how active players are and there betting patterns. I find if im not careful I start playing auto pilot (my hand only) and miss warning signs/bluff spots etc. And how do you keep your focus for hours at a time?

Oh, and one more. Do you review your own play and whats a good way to do it? 
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hi Timmy, what an inspiring story, hope you have an even more successful 2015!
    Really looking forward to reading your updates :)
    Ducky
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Best wishes Tim,

I'm sure you will crush it.
    dev
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Your not going to like my advice but if you earned less than 20k in your first year pro do something else and play poker part time.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Wow, amazing numbers there Timmy, & a great work ethic by the look of it. This Diary should be a good read. Boston, Lincs? Lincolnshire is quite a hotspot for Sky Poker players, young Ben Nuttall (he's not really young, but he looks about 12) lives somewhere in Lincolnshire. Do you ever bump into him on the Tables? Good luck with the Team Sky Poker quest, too, hope to see you @ DTD in February.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you Gazzluf, Mrs Duck and Devonfish.
    Yeah Boston lincs Tikay and yeah I think Nutter mite be from Grantham so not to far away never meet him live but we do bump into each other on the Dyms when there's promo's running as usually he now concentrates on his HU games quality player.
    Im gonna try my hardest to get a seat but either way me and my friend KGEE are coming down to play the UKOPS MINI.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Your not going to like my advice but if you earned less than 20k in your first year pro do something else and play poker part time.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I appreciate your advice AJS but when I was working +50 hours at my other job I would come straight home and just grind I wasn't having much of a life. So now i enjoy my poker a lot more and see so much more of my family, friends and my social life is 100x better. Learnt a lot in my 1st year so im confident i can push to the next level.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    watched you play a lot and great to see a pro write a diary!  

I think that having a 15-20k profit is a VERY decent wage.  People need to remember that is tax free, so if earning 20k net that is like a regular 30-35k job which is better than average 27 year old!  

PLUS........  that wage plus your doing a job you LOVE = priceless.

Run well and look forward to reading the progres
  • Options
    ommomm
    edited January 2015
    Posted by ajs4385
    Im far from an expert but I think your wrong, it seems to me the stakes Timmy is playing then earning less than 20k isn't so bad (of course it certainly depends how much less!!) add into that it sounds like he still lives at home (less expense) and no doubt  will be moving up the stakes as and when needed then it was the perfect starting block to his career. From what he has posted so far it seems like he has a plan and support of his family, knows what he wants and is committed to doing it. Breath of fresh air IMO, hope u stick at it and hope u make it Timmy, that being said make sure you evolve and stick to your plan. Good luck. 
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    watched you play a lot and great to see a pro write a diary!   I think that having a 15-20k profit is a VERY decent wage.  People need to remember that is tax free, so if earning 20k net that is like a regular 30-35k job which is better than average 27 year old!   PLUS........  that wage plus your doing a job you LOVE = priceless. Run well and look forward to reading the progres
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Thank you Nuggy love that.  
    Like I said in my 1st post im not a greedy person I really love what im doing so if I can make that happy days.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Hi Omm thank you for your post. It was just below £15k but I did have January off so I kind of got to my target and yes im still a Mummy's boy so I still live at home.
    Thank you again for your support really appreciate it.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Good luck with this, have shared a few table s with you in MTT's and DYM's

As someone mentioned earlier you take the good and the bad with equal grace, a massive plus in my book.

Best of luck in 2015
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Good luck and will read with interest. A few questions if I may? How do you go about playing 10 tables? Especially at 6 max where the decisions come thick and fast. I can manage 6 and that takes a lot of concentration as I try and watch how active players are and there betting patterns. I find if im not careful I start playing auto pilot (my hand only) and miss warning signs/bluff spots etc. And how do you keep your focus for hours at a time? Oh, and one more. Do you review your own play and whats a good way to do it? 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hi Craig thank you for your post. With playing up to 10 tables on Dym's I find it quite easy these days I have two nice big monitors so there's no overlapping all neatly layed out lol.
    I play super tight till the blinds get to 100/200 so my decisions are very easy till then but after then I just have to make nice quick decision's if I feel im not 100% playing at my best I will reduce my tables. When im playing the Main and mini I reduce my Dyms to about 4 so I can keep my eye on the tourneys abit better.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Good luck with this, have shared a few table s with you in MTT's and DYM's As someone mentioned earlier you take the good and the bad with equal grace, a massive plus in my book. Best of luck in 2015
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thank you Hendrik cya on the tables.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Good luck with this Tim. You mentioned a while ago that you were thinking of starting a diary. Glad that you've managed to get round to it. You're coming across on the forum just as well as you do at the tables. 
    Never seen you moan or grumble yet.

A couple of questions

Did you work your way up to your present stakes online or go straight in at those levels?
    I know you play live a fair bit. Any nice binks to brag about?

I'll definitely be at the mini.  Hope we can catch up.

Good luck
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Can only repeat what everyone else has said, best of luck from a fellow Lincolnshire lad!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Firstly let me say congrats on 15k most people can only dream of this.

Reason I put what I did is that your first year or two pro is when you will make your most money.

After a couple of years you will get bored of it and get fed up of the swings and the stress that it brings. So you will play worse and hence earn less.

So imagine in 5 years time you are bored with it and your earning say half what you earn now. What are you going to do?

I went pro in 2009 and could never imagine being bored with poker but I am, I average about 15 hours a week these days and play badly for about 14 of them.

However, I made a ton of money first two years pro bought a few houses and so Im doing ok.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Good afternoon Timmyrara.
    The best of luck with this, hopefully see you on the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack tournament, when you have a spare afternoon.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Firstly let me say congrats on 15k most people can only dream of this. Reason I put what I did is that your first year or two pro is when you will make your most money. After a couple of years you will get bored of it and get fed up of the swings and the stress that it brings. So you will play worse and hence earn less. So imagine in 5 years time you are bored with it and your earning say half what you earn now. What are you going to do? I went pro in 2009 and could never imagine being bored with poker but I am, I average about 15 hours a week these days and play badly for about 14 of them. However, I made a ton of money first two years pro bought a few houses and so Im doing ok.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Thank u Again for your advice AJS really do appreciate.
    With all your points you mite be right I mite not earn the money I think I will and I mite fall out of love with the game and if that happens I will have to move on to the next chapter of my life.
    But im gonna work hard keep learning and give it 100% and I will se what happens.