You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

(The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015

edited December 2015 in Poker Chat
Good luck, Rich, I shall watch your progress towards profitabiity with interest.
One in the eye for Tikay if you make it (if you need any further incentive).

All the best for 2015

Ian

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Welcome to my first post of 2015 and let me be fashionably, but farcially, late in wishing you a Happy New Year.

To paraphrase the great John Lennon, who was obviously talking about poker in his classic 'War Is Over'...

"So this is 2015,
    And what have you done?
    Another year over,
    A new one just begun."

16 days into 2015 and whilst outside poker I couldn't point to having achieved anything of considerable note, or indeed any note, I can proudly say that, so far, in poker terms 2015 has been an absolute corker for me.

Here's my Sharkscope for my entire Sky Poker playing career in all it's 'glory', warts and all. And there are a lot of warts.

It started in 2009, with a fleeting moment of profit, £3.59, then plummeted and never darkened the doorstep of profit again....until now.

Indeed on the 1st January 2015 I was £988 down on my Sky Poker playing career and all set to break the 4 figure loss barrier.

But then...everything changed- I binked third place in the rebuy main event in my first major mtt of the year. That was session 1. Then a couple of days in session 2, I managed a small cash in the main which gave me another tiny bump up.

Meaning after two winning sessions in 2015 my overall loss now stands at £186.

It is my mission, dear reader, this year to overturn that £988 deficit and enter, for the first time since Game 2 back in 2009, unchartered territory....profit.

Every time I play a session from now on- I will post the results for better or for worse. 

Good luck me and everyone else on a poker mission this year.

:-)
  • edited January 2015
    Good start........you got the year right !

GL Rich
  • edited January 2015
    Nice to have a diary that proves there is always an element of short term luck in poker.

Good luck Mr Bacon :)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    Good luck, Rich, I shall watch your progress towards profitabiity with interest. One in the eye for Tikay if you make it (if you need any further incentive). All the best for 2015 Ian
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
    Thanks Ian. Telling me I'd be giving Tikay one in the eye, is just the motivation I needed. Game on!
  • edited January 2015
    Good start........you got the year right ! GL Rich
    Posted by VespaPX
    Lol- ty Vespa. Knowing what year it is always helps me, I generally find.
  • edited January 2015
    Nice to have a diary that proves there is always an element of short term luck in poker. Good luck Mr Bacon :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Thanks hhhhhyyyyyfftftftrdddrhhyyr.......er, Harry.

My toddler is called Harry, is that hhhrhryfhftdtdttdrdhhdhdyydydr for short?

• edited January 2015

good luck for 2015 rich.

the funny thing is that so many people think that you are not a top player.  in the recent forum competition, i had you to beat karl by 100 places.  i know that you are up there, and have been for ages.

now with your 3rd place in the main having been seen by all, do you think that people will start to play you with tighter ranges?

good luck.

• edited January 2015
    good luck for 2015 rich. the funny thing is that so many people think that you are not a top player.  in the recent forum competition, i had you to beat karl by 100 places.  i know that you are up there, and have been for ages. now with your 3rd place in the main having been seen by all, do you think that people will start to play you with tighter ranges? good luck.
    Posted by aussie09
    In a word, no. 

Lol. Thanks though Rob for your kind words. I would ask you to do me a Player Card (awesome thread, btw) but I'm a little scared as to what it would say. I think my 2015 one would look alright though. So far...

• edited January 2015
    Good luck man.Ive heard of that word profit.Rarely seen around my neck of the woods.
    Be good 
    Paul
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : In a word, no.  Lol. Thanks though Rob for your kind words. I would ask you to do me a Player Card (awesoe thread, btw) but I'm a little scaed as to what it would say. I think my 2015 one would look alright though. So far... :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD

your player card for last year is not as scary as you SS graph (clever how you managed to rotate it 90 degrees.)

for this year, you player card is looking fab.  in footballing terms, in the transfer window you've signed a few good strikers for the new year, and already they've been knocking 'em in the back of the net.

.. and thanks for your comment.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 :.  in footballing terms, in the transfer window you've signed a few good strikers for the new year, and already they've been knocking 'em in the back of the net. .. and thanks for your comment.
    Posted by aussie09
    Obviously isn't the west brom manager then! :P
  • edited January 2015
    Are you going to play more often than once a week this year, Rich? You could always get yourself into some sng's when you have a short time to spare.

If you like, I'll play you in some heads up games to get you started. :-)
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck Mr Orford.
    All the best
    Rainman397
    P.s has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack to you.
  • edited January 2015
    don't get too excited rich, my diary tells a story on myself going over the top and look at me now.

best of luck.
  • edited January 2015
    Very best of luck for the year Rich.

Pat
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck for 2015.

Interesting to see the dynamic of shows change when you become a consistent winning player and then regular top finisher in main events.

new fall guy needed.

Perhaps sky should start auditioning? This guy perhaps?

• edited January 2015
    Good luck on this quest Rich, £186 to go and you can forget the last 6 years of poker ever happened.

Alternatively this happens: BR Management*

*names may have changed
    *yes, I know it's your own money really
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck man.Ive heard of that word profit.Rarely seen around my neck of the woods. Be good  Paul
    Posted by bignoise10

Yes, I have heard many mythical tales of this 'profit' thing. I'm hoping that there is some truth behind the legend. If I find it I will let you know what it's like, and feel free to do the same if you find it.

Cheers Paul 

;-)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : your player card for last year is not as scary as you SS graph (clever how you managed to rotate it 90 degrees.) for this year, you player card is looking fab.  in footballing terms, in the transfer window you've signed a few good strikers for the new year, and already they've been knocking 'em in the back of the net. .. and thanks for your comment.
    Posted by aussie09
    Oh go on then, you twisted my arm.

Could you stick my player cards for 2014 and 2015 on here? Alias 'ricorford' (no 'h')

And if you want to put it on your main thread as well for everyone to gawp at, laugh at, learn from etc please feel free- I have no shame.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Obviously isn't the west brom manager then! :P
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    True enough, in real-life footballing terms West Brom have panic-bought in a short-term quick fix manager to avoid relegation and are just about to flog off their best player... 

I don't think I'm the only football supporter looking up jealously at Southampton and nervously below to Burnley, QPR and Leicester.
  • edited January 2015
    Hey Rich congrats and GL!
    Looking forward to seeing you blossom ;)
  • edited January 2015
    Are you going to play more often than once a week this year, Rich? You could always get yourself into some sng's when you have a short time to spare. If you like, I'll play you in some heads up games to get you started. :-)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I want to definitely. That's been my big problem over the past year playing only one evening a week, (one main, one mini, maybe one other mtt)...just not enough volume to tell over the variance- to see if I am a winning player.

I'm going to play tomorrow night (Monday) so that will be only a few days after last Wednesday, and will endeavour to squeeze in more tournaments when I can. 

The problem is work and family tends to get in the way- and since I'm more of an MTT player than cash I can't just drop in and out for a couple of hours. if you do well in a big MTT- you're looking at long sessions.

As for your offer of taking all my money before I've even got started in 2015 heads-up...er, no. Nice try butI'll stick to the MTTs for now! ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    Hey Rich congrats and GL! Looking forward to seeing you blossom ;)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Hi Mrs D! Thanks for dropping by. I hope you're right!
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck Mr Orford. All the best Rainman397 P.s has anyone mentioned the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack to you.
    Posted by rainman397

Lol! Thanks Rainman. No, I haven't heard about this £2.20 Deepstack. Tell me more...
  • edited January 2015
    don't get too excited rich, my diary tells a story on myself going over the top and look at me now. best of luck.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Don't worry Craig- I've done twelve years of playing poker, cashed many times. And yet have still yet to turn a profit online. It is scientifically impossible for me to get excited just coz of one result!

• edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015
    Very best of luck for the year Rich. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76
    Thanks Pat, you too mate.
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck for 2015. Interesting to see the dynamic of shows change when you become a consistent winning player and then regular top finisher in main events. new fall guy needed. Perhaps sky should start auditioning? This guy perhaps?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks mate- I'm not sure if I've earned the title of consistent winning player and regualr top finisher, but certainly the results have looked a lot better over the past year.

I don't know who your suggestion for a new fall guy is, (the photo's still pending approval) but I hope you captured Tikay's good side...
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck on this quest Rich, £186 to go and you can forget the last 6 years of poker ever happened. Alternatively this happens: BR Management* *names may have changed *yes, I know it's your own money really
    Posted by Machka
    Hi Aaron, yeah maybe I can forget the last 6 years of poker, but I doubt anyone on the community or the show will forget as well!

As for the video,lol- always good to see those wheeled out. Surely time for some new ones? I'm definitely thinking there's one begging to be done with Ross folding sets...
  • edited January 2015
    GL Rich.  
    Posted by Glenelg

Thanks Padraig! You too mate!