You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

(The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015

Comments

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    Nice one Rich. Now you have learnt the game proper like, your next challenge will be 'how to be a presenter'.  ;);) Saw you (briefly) in the £22 BH last night. That is a good one to add to your list of MTT's. The 10.15pm one. Plus maybe the 9.30pm (£11). 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Cheers Alan. Yeah, I'm starting to cast around for other tourneys to play. Currently the main, mini, the two big BHs and some of these other bounty hunters for £22/£11.

See you in the next one.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Very well.played Rich was a good game to watch even better to rail as knew you had chat off most.of.the time! Haha well played and good.luck tonight. Tot flying dagg invitational tonight 8pm 5.50 b.h password is slowdive all welcome
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Thanks Darkangel. How did your UKPC go btw? Hope you enjoyed the experience.
  • edited September 2015
    grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! ps vwp
    Posted by aussie09

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Have I climbed up any of your website charts yet??? ;-)
  • edited September 2015
    even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. keep that tail well groomed Richie boy.
    Posted by robertod
    Who said that? Can't see a thing...

Ty mate.
  • edited September 2015
    Received a mysterious email this morning in my inbox...

"Very well done last night, & this year.

I mean, really.

If you ever tell anyone I said that, I may have to kill myself."

Tony Kendall

Poker Analyst

Don't know who this Tony Kendall fella is, but I'm thinking of taking out a restraining order.

• edited September 2015
    Good afternoon Mr Orford.
    Excellent results this year, like to think the turning point in your poker success was the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack.
    However Phantom66  is organising a HU competetion and a player of your calibre would be much appreciated.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited September 2015
    Congrats on winning the 9PM BH Rich! All the best going for the double tonight :=)
  • edited September 2015
    Received a mysterious email this morning in my inbox... "Very well done last night, & this year.   I mean, really.   If you ever tell anyone I said that, I may have to kill myself." Tony Kendall   Poker Analyst Don't know who this Tony Kendall fella is, but I'm thinking of taking out a restraining order.
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Be careful Rich. This bloke is just after your winnings. Some people are scrupulous to the max.

Tony Kendall is the manager of Coral bookmakers in Huddersfield.

It follows long-serving manager of the Kirkgate branch in the town, Tony Kendall who is hoping to bring more business to a failing Cherrytree branch just up the road.

The enthusiastic boss doesn't let an abusive customer dampen his day as he encourages his punters to place bets on what the name of the royal baby could be.

He works alongside his daughter, Siobhan, in the store and is seen asking her to help him turn the fortunes of the suffering Cherrytree store, by injecting a better mentality into the atmosphere.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Grrrrrrrrr!!!! Have I climbed up any of your website charts yet??? ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD

yes, you are climbing.

on page 2 of this thread you asked for your hero card for last year.  do you recall the chat about the figures?   you had few heads per game and you had zero quarter 4 finishes from 93 games.  the interpretation was that you might benefit from being more aggressive, less value-town (you were very high in that league) and maybe fight those short stacked more willingly.

comparing your play this year to last year, your ranking for points has risen from 1,720th to 445th and that is out of 36,173 players.  average heads per game has risen from 0.4 to 0.7.  quarter 4 finishes has risen from 0% to 8%.

money-wise in the 165 major tournaments you've a return on investment (ROI) of 38%.

• edited September 2015
    Good afternoon Mr Orford. Excellent results this year, like to think the turning point in your poker success was the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack. However Phantom66  is organising a HU competetion and a player of your calibre would be much appreciated. All the best. Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    Lol! 10 out of 10 for persistence Rainman.

One day... ;-)
  • edited September 2015
    Congrats on winning the 9PM BH Rich! All the best going for the double tonight :=)
    Posted by StayOrGo

Thanks mate, I think we all know where this is going...

ricorford 9pm Wednesday 2nd Sep Bounty Hunter 66 runners

Finished 66th Prize money £0
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Be careful Rich. This bloke is just after your winnings. Some people are scrupulous to the max. Tony Kendall is the manager of Coral bookmakers in Huddersfield. It follows long-serving manager of the Kirkgate branch in the town, Tony Kendall who is hoping to bring more business to a failing Cherrytree branch just up the road. The enthusiastic boss doesn't let an abusive customer dampen his day as he encourages his punters to place bets on what the name of the royal baby could be. He works alongside his daughter, Siobhan, in the store and is seen asking her to help him turn the fortunes of the suffering Cherrytree store, by injecting a better mentality into the atmosphere.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I knew it!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : yes, you are climbing. on page 2 of this thread you asked for your hero card for last year.  do you recall the chat about the figures?   you had few heads per game and you had zero quarter 4 finishes from 93 games.  the interpretation was that you might benefit from being more aggressive, less value-town (you were very high in that league) and maybe fight those short stacked more willingly. comparing your play this year to last year, your ranking for points has risen from 1,720th to 445th and that is out of 36,173 players.  average heads per game has risen from 0.4 to 0.7.  quarter 4 finishes has risen from 0% to 8%. money-wise in the 165 major tournaments you've a return on investment (ROI) of 38%.
    Posted by aussie09
    Excellent. Happy with those stats. 

Who's got the best stats for average heads per game across the site and what are they? 0.7 still seems low to me.

Great site btw.

• edited September 2015
    Look Rich just give it up and tell everyone how good you are, on 861 you regularly predicted what the hand was when the cards were hidden and got it spot on all the time then inferred that the gallery had told you when really with your brilliant analytical brain you would deduce this while also presenting the show. Just forget presenting and go pro' Phil Ivey be afraid!!!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Excellent. Happy with those stats.  Who's got the best stats for average heads per game across the site and what are they? 0.7 still seems low to me. Great site btw.
    Posted by RICHORFORD

thanks for those comments, rich.

you've good stats.  the average heads per game will be nearing 1.  but it is skewed.  0.7 is about the norm, probably slightly higher than most.  when you were at 0.4 you needed to do something.  the best averages?

Heads Rate played no rate

1 RATTY21 132 289 2.2
    2 mixgrill 61 129 2.1
    3 GirlonFire 70 143 2.0
    4 hyperdaz23 99 198 2.0
    5 Lottieloux 148 292 2.0
    6 dryden97 155 304 2.0
    i have a threshhold in this league of a minimum number of 50 games played.  otherwise the league would be headed by those who played few games.  so to remain meaningful there is a minimum.  there are still, 3,619 players who have played 50 or more major tournament this year.  to be at the top is quite atonishing play by these players.  it would be good to see how their heads rate compares to their points rate

• edited September 2015
    Great results Rich! :)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Thanks Darkangel. How did your UKPC go btw? Hope you enjoyed the experience.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    UKPC was fun! Lasted till level 5, everything poker related went out of the window. Had MKGunner to my left and Bobbafett to my right, Hendrick, another player who can't remember what he's called and Neil1970. My exit hand was A5S with 2 spades on the board. Knew he had AA but was short stack so shoved all in. No spade on the turn or the river and out I went. I was happy enough just to get there and not to be out first. The rest of the time was spent meeting loads of sky players and laughing!! I actually lost my voice through laughing so much. Was fantastic loved every single minute of it. So now my sights are firmly set on getting to the final of Punta Cana, managed to get through to semi's last night. I got the same feeling I got when binked my seat to notts. Not bad for a short stack. Good luck tonight hope your golden run continues.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : thanks for those comments, rich. you've good stats.  the average heads per game will be nearing 1.  but it is skewed.  0.7 is about the norm, probably slightly higher than most.  when you were at 0.4 you needed to do something.  the best averages?     Heads Rate played no rate           1 RATTY21 132 289 2.2 2 mixgrill 61 129 2.1 3 GirlonFire 70 143 2.0 4 hyperdaz23 99 198 2.0 5 Lottieloux 148 292 2.0 6 dryden97 155 304 2.0 i have a threshhold in this league of a minimum number of 50 games played.  otherwise the league would be headed by those who played few games.  so to remain meaningful there is a minimum.  there are still, 3,619 players who have played 50 or more major tournament this year.  to be at the top is quite atonishing play by these players.  it would be good to see how their heads rate compares to their points rate
    Posted by aussie09
    Got it. Thanks.

Having read back my previous post and just to be clear, when I said 0.7 seems low to me, I didn't mean I thought my head count is wrong. I would never question your amazing stats! Nor was I being cocky and thinking that I'm sure I was better than 0.7.

I meant I think it seemed like a figure that's a bit on the low side and needs improving, and wanted to know what I was aiming for as an average and as a high mark.

My rating of 445th on the site- is that an average across the same volume of tournaments so it's comparable to everyone else, or does it improve the more cashes I get? i.e. will it improve if I win another tournament in the next month irrespective of whether I fail to cash in 10,000 others?

I ask because I only play on average once a week and so I'm figuring I'm up against the grinders who play almost every night with no real chance of climbing the pop charts. :-)
  • edited September 2015
    Look Rich just give it up and tell everyone how good you are, on 861 you regularly predicted what the hand was when the cards were hidden and got it spot on all the time then inferred that the gallery had told you when really with your brilliant analytical brain you would deduce this while also presenting the show. Just forget presenting and go pro' Phil Ivey be afraid!!!
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Lol! if it were that simple... (sigh)
  • edited September 2015
    Great results Rich! :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Ty Mrs D!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : UKPC was fun! Lasted till level 5, everything poker related went out of the window. Had MKGunner to my left and Bobbafett to my right, Hendrick, another player who can't remember what he's called and Neil1970. My exit hand was A5S with 2 spades on the board. Knew he had AA but was short stack so shoved all in. No spade on the turn or the river and out I went. I was happy enough just to get there and not to be out first. The rest of the time was spent meeting loads of sky players and laughing!! I actually lost my voice through laughing so much. Was fantastic loved every single minute of it. So now my sights are firmly set on getting to the final of Punta Cana, managed to get through to semi's last night. I got the same feeling I got when binked my seat to notts. Not bad for a short stack. Good luck tonight hope your golden run continues.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Level 5 is not to be sniffed at, esp for your first one.

The main thing is you were there relatively cheaply via satellite and had a good time.

Good luck with Punta Cana, hope you make it!
  • edited September 2015
    WOULD YOU SWAP LAST NIGHTS RESULT FOR BERAHINO PLAYING, HAPPY OR OTHERWISE?
  • edited September 2015
    Just seen the good news, very well played sir. Sadly, I was out last night so wasn't able to rail. I'd have loved to watch. Never mind, I've no doubt it will happen again and hopefully I'll be there to see it.

Cheers mate.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Level 5 is not to be sniffed at, esp for your first one. The main thing is you were there relatively cheaply via satellite and had a good time. Good luck with Punta Cana, hope you make it!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Free rolled it so couldn't have got any cheaper ;) I got a feeling I might but if I don't will have had fun as always trying. If I do manage to get to the final by some sheer fluke will deffo be trying to play live more.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Got it. Thanks. Having read back my previous post and just to be clear, when I said 0.7 seems low to me, I didn't mean I thought my head count is wrong. I would never question your amazing stats! Nor was I being cocky and thinking that I'm sure I was better than 0.7. I meant I think it seemed like a figure that's a bit on the low side and needs improving, and wanted to know what I was aiming for as an average and as a high mark. My rating of 445th on the site- is that an average across the same volume of tournaments so it's comparable to everyone else, or does it improve the more cashes I get? i.e. will it improve if I win another tournament in the next month irrespective of whether I fail to cash in 10,000 others? I ask because I only play on average once a week and so I'm figuring I'm up against the grinders who play almost every night with no real chance of climbing the pop charts. :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD

no worries rich, i understood your meaning at the outset.  we are talking about the same thing from the same angle. 

actually, since posting, i have contemplated whether there is an optimum average heads for the year to date.  sure it's good to have a high score but once you factor in getting value, it might be that an average of 0.7 might be more profitable than 1.5.  i wonder. i will look.  (PS you cocky? no way).

445th is one of 15 measures each with a different meaning.  that particular ranking is for total points scored in 2015.  if you would like i can post your current hero card on the website.  you can see all 15 measures.

the measure of form, like the tennis or golf rankings, is the Best Player showing the top 100.  to get in you need about 33 points in the rolling month.  10 points for a win, 7 second, 5 third, 3 final table and 1 point for a cash.  results older than 31 days drop off the total. i have been posting a photo of the Best Player top 100 every day on the forum.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    Welcome to my first post of 2015 and let me be fashionably, but farcially, late in wishing you a Happy New Year. To paraphrase the great John Lennon, who was obviously talking about poker in his classic 'War Is Over'... "So this is 2015, And what have you done? Another year over, A new one just begun." 16 days into 2015 and whilst outside poker I couldn't point to having achieved anything of considerable note, or indeed any note, I can proudly say that, so far, in poker terms 2015 has been an absolute corker for me. Here's my Sharkscope for my entire Sky Poker playing career in all it's 'glory', warts and all. And there are a lot of warts. It started in 2009, with a fleeting moment of profit, £3.59, then plummeted and never darkened the doorstep of profit again.... until now . Indeed on the 1st January 2015 I was £988 down on my Sky Poker playing career and all set to break the 4 figure loss barrier. But then...everything changed- I binked third place in the rebuy main event in my first major mtt of the year. That was session 1. Then a couple of days in session 2, I managed a small cash in the main which gave me another tiny bump up. Meaning after two winning sessions in 2015 my overall loss now stands at £186. It is my mission, dear reader, this year to overturn that £988 deficit and enter, for the first time since Game 2 back in 2009, unchartered territory.... profit . Every time I play a session from now on- I will post the results for better or for worse.  Good luck me and everyone else on a poker mission this year. :-)

Hi Rich,
                                                                   Gotta say m8(with no malice) you look like a Vulcan in your picture.Are you Spocks father?
                                              Run well mate
                                                                 Jim
    Posted by RICHORFORD
  • edited September 2015
    Boooooom

Wd Rich, on fire! Bring on UKOPS.........expecting big things from you
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Rich,

Just checking if you will be playing in the HU cup competition?

Tikay has kindly nominated you and you have a spot reserved, although I will have to release that if you bottle out.

Bit worrying that as a previously ridiculed MTT player - you are now actually getting winning HU practice.

The thread is here...

• edited September 2015
    Received a mysterious email this morning in my inbox... "Very well done last night, & this year.   I mean, really.   If you ever tell anyone I said that, I may have to kill myself." Tony Kendall   Poker Analyst Don't know who this Tony Kendall fella is, but I'm thinking of taking out a restraining order.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I'm doomed.

Naturally, I deny sending that e-Mail.

I shall be consulting my legal team.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : I'm doomed. Naturally, I deny sending that e-Mail.   I shall be consulting my legal team.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I hear your legal team are very busy throughout the year challenging all the restraining orders that drop through your letterbox every week.

Anyway, you'll be glad to hear normal service was resumed in the last session. Got absolutely nowhere. Next session is tomorrow night where I will be gunning for a 9pm BH final table appearance, a Mini event win and 2nd place in the main. I expect to narrowly miss the cash in the 10.30pm Bounty Hunter.