You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

(The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Don't be too disappointed, Rich, at least you made some profit. An awful lot of players will be wishing they'd done as well last night although it seemed to go pear-shaped in the main when you turned the chat back on briefly.
    Anyway, best of luck for your next session.

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : I don't know who's going to the next one yet in August, mate. But you'll soon find out if you're playing in it! I expect the usual top player suspects will be there- Neil Channing, Tom Middleton, Sam Trickett, Paul Jackson, James Akenhead etc etc. And Tikay will also be there. ;-) Yeah, my laptop had never seen the figure 97,000 chips on it before- and almost spontaneously combusted. Really quite disappointed about last night- think I dropped the ball and lost out on about a grand. Sigh.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Rich I am playing in it!!! lol That's why I asked!! Ul last night but a cash is a cash. Sure you will do better next time.

olive
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Rich I am playing in it!!! lol That's why I asked!! Ul last night but a cash is a cash. Sure you will do better next time. olive
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Sorry Olive- forgot you'd already qualified! Not long to go now, make sure you let me know how you got on. Unless you final-table it of course, in which case you won't need to, I'll see the footage!

• edited July 2015
    Don't be too disappointed, Rich, at least you made some profit. An awful lot of players will be wishing they'd done as well last night although it seemed to go pear-shaped in the main when you turned the chat back on briefly. Anyway, best of luck for your next session.
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
    Thanks mate. And you do have a point- it does go south for me whenever I turn the chatbox on. Problem is, people playing on here know me from the tv show, so I don't like sitting silently on a table 'ignoring' everyone because I don't even know they're talking to me.

It's fine if I'm with regulars, but if a newbie gets drawn on the same table as me in an MTT for the first time ever and starts asking me about the show and site etc, then it's just comes across as extremely rude if I don't talk back.

But yes, I definitely lose my concentration the moment I start doing anyting other than focus on the tabes, esp now that I've finally reached the level of multi-tabling four tables. Woo hoo! Get me. only took me 8 years to manage that. 

How these young whipper-snappers manage 16 tables, chatboxes, Window messenger, twitter, tv's on in the background and music playing whilst being on the phone is beyond me. Be interesting to see how many of those players are actually profitable and how many of those would make more money if they switched everything else off.
  • edited July 2015
    Couple of decent results in this week's session...

14th out of 239 in tonight's 8pm main event

And 8th out of 186 in tonight's 8.30pm mini event.

Made a small loss on the night overall, but I'm on a good run of knocking on the door of the final tables in these events at the moment. Hopefully if I keep at it and keep improving my game I'll land a big result soon.
  • edited July 2015
    wp rich a ME bink is just around the corner,as long as you dont get the stokefc curse :)
  • edited July 2015
    Well done, Rich. I thought for a while you were going all the way in the mini but your final hand was a bit of a cooler, wasn't it? Ran QQ into AA if I remember correctly, not much you can do about those. Better luck next time.
  • edited July 2015
    wp rich a ME bink is just around the corner,as long as you dont get the stokefc curse :)
    Posted by stokefc
    Thanks mate.

Just how big is this corner? Seems to be taking a while to get round it... ;-)
  • edited July 2015
    Well done, Rich. I thought for a while you were going all the way in the mini but your final hand was a bit of a cooler, wasn't it? Ran QQ into AA if I remember correctly, not much you can do about those. Better luck next time.
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN

Ty mate. Yeah, that's the way it goes. Was on the right side of some of those outdraws along the way to get there though, so can't complain.

I was juggling top 20 in both the main and mini at one stage and starting to wonder if I could pull off something special and final table both. Close but no cigar.

:-)
  • edited August 2015
    Decent result tonight- played the main, mini and a few bounty hunters.

Came 3rd out of 65 in the 9pm £2,500 GD Bounty Hunter...

Players Remaining: 2 / 65

CharlieF29212032 £158.66 Head Prizes6£77.87
    Phil1812112968 £157.91 Head Prizes5£77.63
    RicOrford03£195 + £128.40 Head Prizes5 

Was chip leader on the final table for ages, but things turn around fast in a couple of hands when you're down to 3 players and eventually I came a cropper to the cards.

Would like to have won and believe I was good value for the win, but third place is not to be sniffed at. It gave me an overall profit of £141 on the night.

Good luck with your own MTT adventures!
  • edited August 2015
    Another good result this week. First chance I've had to post it as i finished playing at 2am this morning and have been out all day.

Final-tabled the Saturday night main event!

6th out of 290! A welcome profit of around £200 on the night and knocking on the door of a main event win. I'm playing again on Wednesday night- hope to see you all there again.

• edited August 2015
    Another good result this week. First chance I've had to post it as i finished playing at 2am this morning and have been out all day. Final-tabled the Saturday night main event! 6th out of 290! A welcome profit of around £200 on the night and knocking on the door of a main event win. I'm playing again on Wednesday night- hope to see you all there again.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Nice one Rich
    Keep it going
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Nice one Rich Keep it going
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks mate. 
  • edited August 2015
    Yep, playing well. Main event win by the end of the year surely????
  • edited August 2015
    Yep, playing well. Main event win by the end of the year surely????
    Posted by waller02

That's the plan!

Or at least, that's the prayer!
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : That's the plan! Or at least, that's the prayer!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I'm still debating whether or not to slip in the brag about my first main event win last week..........

Haha, if I can then you can trust me! Keep up the great run.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : I'm still debating whether or not to slip in the brag about my first main event win last week.......... Haha, if I can then you can trust me! Keep up the great run.
    Posted by waller02
    Really? Nice work fella.

Right, my turn now...
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Really? Nice work fella. Right, my turn now...
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Thanks, it's a good feeling! As you will soon find out I'm sure

All the best
  • edited September 2015
    Very well played this evening in the 9pm Bounty Hunter Mr Orford!

I suspect you'll be far too modest to mention it...

RicOrford3450001£517.50 + £374.98 Head Prizes8£112.49Best

Mattp
  • edited September 2015
    Very next session after coming 3rd in the 9pm Bounty Hunter- I gave it another go...

This time...I came FIRST!

Players

Players Remaining: 0 / 69

Player NameChipsRankPrizeHeadsValue

RicOrford3450001£517.50 + £374.98 Head Prizes8£112.49
    mattprawn02£345 + £205.96 Head Prizes7 
    Absolutely delighted obv. Chuffed with my form and chuffed with all the excellent players and lovely people who I encounter along the way. 

Thanks to the rail tonight and to mattprawn who was a brilliant opponent and uber-gracious in defeat. Had to switch my chat off for the most part as I get distracted too easily when I chat to people and I think in the past, it affected my results. So, sorry if anyone said hello and didn't hear back from me.

The result tonight puts me firmly in profit. £1528 on MTTs in 2015 and, after 6 years on this account and having played practically 600 MTTs, now £574 in profit overall.

The ol' Sharkscope's looking good these days, you can see the turnaround starting right at the beginning of this year.

In case you think I'm getting away with myself here, don't worry I'm not. I know about variance of course and I'm not suddenly proclaiming myself to be a good player or anything. I'm just happy I've made a marked improvement in 2015.

I've also decided once and for all that cash poker, whilst I love to watch it, is not suited to my skillset in poker. It's MTTs all the way for me. Taken me a a few years to admit it to myself but there you go. Acknowledgement is the first step to (bankroll) recovery. ;-)

On a roll now this year- will almost certainly be back again tomorrow night to play the main, mini and the two £55 Bounty Hunters. Where I will almost certainly fall flat on my face. Lol! Hope to see you all there.

• edited September 2015
    Very well played this evening in the 9pm Bounty Hunter Mr Orford! I suspect you'll be far too modest to mention it... RicOrford 345000 1 £517.50 + £374.98 Head Prizes 8 £112.49 Best Mattp
    Posted by mattprawn

Lol at this! Whilst I was too busy typing away about how I took the game down- up pops this to take the p*** out of my proceeding post.

Well, you're definitely too modest to mention you came second, so I did it for you, (see post above)

Well played Matt, I enjoyed our battle tonight. Hope to see you in tomorrow night's one :-)
  • edited September 2015

Eh?

What's going on here?

Incred scenes.
  • edited September 2015

Sincere congrats.
  • edited September 2015

Well, "through gritted teeth" congrats.
  • edited September 2015
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Lol at this! Whilst I was too busy typing away about how I took the game down- up pops this to take the p*** out of my proceeding post. Well, you're definitely too modest to mention you came second, so I did it for you, (see post above) Well played Matt, I enjoyed our battle tonight. Hope to see you in tomorrow night's one :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Very well.played Rich was a good game to watch even better to rail as knew you had chat off most.of.the time! Haha well played and good.luck tonight. Tot flying dagg invitational tonight 8pm 5.50 b.h password is slowdive all welcome
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Lol at this! Whilst I was too busy typing away about how I took the game down- up pops this to take the p*** out of my proceeding post. Well, you're definitely too modest to mention you came second, so I did it for you, (see post above) Well played Matt, I enjoyed our battle tonight. Hope to see you in tomorrow night's one :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Very well.played Rich was a good game to watch even better to rail as knew you had chat off most.of.the time! Haha well played and good.luck tonight. Tot flying dagg invitational tonight 8pm 5.50 b.h password is slowdive all welcome
  • edited September 2015

grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

ps vwp

• edited September 2015
    even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. keep that tail well groomed Richie boy.
  • edited September 2015

Nice one Rich. Now you have learnt the game proper like, your next challenge will be 'how to be a presenter'.  ;);)

Saw you (briefly) in the £22 BH last night. That is a good one to add to your list of MTT's. The 10.15pm one. Plus maybe the 9.30pm (£11).