You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

(The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    Rich,  1. vwp 2. you should practice taking bounties there is a tournament every day called the headhunter where all the prize pool is on heads.  i remember one game last year where I finished 6/64 with only 1 head which left me with a £2 loss! although the guy who  went out in 3rd had none. guess he picked the wrong tournament to go deep in. another time i won it for £53 (£5 entry) with 3 heads, but with 10 left I was the only player without any. the moral of the story is that late heads are very valuable, so no need to panic early on. that being said there are spots where you can isolate and induce small stack shoves and it is worth looking out for those. so give it a go and practice Starts At 22:05 Late Reg for 20 Minutes Buy-In £5 + £0.50 Prize Pool £0 Registered 0 / 1000 Chips 2000 Blind Limits 5 Minutes Try our Brand New Sky Head Hunter tournament where there is no prize pool just bounties and you take 60% of the head-prize of whoever you knock out. The other 40% is added to your head prize. Please leave feedback in the forum.
    Posted by GELDY
    Excellent advice Geldy. I'll take a look.
  • edited May 2015
    This week's session ended with a big result for me.

249 runners in the midweek Rebuy Open Main Event...

Final-tabled it!

Players

Players Remaining: 5 / 249

kyp1961500485.75  
    elvisg1972323744.22  
    kapax302584.63  
    Curt360x27245964.60  
    abzy89147220.80  
    RicOrford06£336.55
    6th place for £336. Sharkscope hasn't updated yet, but I think it will show me getting perilously near again to a career proft in online MTTs.

Played for 8 hours solid today, feeling confident on the tables and getting the rub of the green. Going to try and put some more hours in and increase the volume of MTTs I'm playing over the next few weeks.

Thanks for everyone who railed. :-)
  • edited May 2015
    This week's session ended with a big result for me. 249 runners in the midweek Rebuy Open Main Event... Final-tabled it! Players Players Remaining: 5 / 249         kyp1961 500485.75     elvisg1972 323744.22     kapax 302584.63     Curt360x27 245964.60     abzy89 147220.80     RicOrford 0 6 £336.55 6th place for £336. Sharkscope hasn't updated yet, but I think it will show me getting perilously near again to a career proft in online MTTs. Played for 8 hours solid today, feeling confident on the tables and getting the rub of the green. Going to try and put some more hours in and increase the volume of MTTs I'm playing over the next few weeks. Thanks for everyone who railed. :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Very well played Richard. I was in that too but unfortunately went out at no 30!  From a 60p all in. Totally gutted but always next time!  Btw what time did FT go on to?

Olive
  • edited May 2015
    Nice result rich. Keep up the good work!
  • edited May 2015
    Excellent Mr Orford.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
  • edited May 2015
    Very well done, especially when I checked before bed you had just over 10 BB's with 120+ left so good going!!
  • edited May 2015
    Well done, Rich. A few more results like this and even Tikay will have to stop taking the .....

All the best.
  • edited May 2015
    Olive the FT went on well past 2am, Rich played very well and was particularly unlucky as he had a 3 way all in around 3 tables left - holding AKdd dominating both villains, he even flopped the flush draw but could not hit, the shorty won the main pot trebling up - this is the same villain that went on to bust poor Orf when Rich shoves A10 from the button with 8bb and gets called by AA in the BB.

Rich is back in the green for MTTs :)
  • edited May 2015
    Cheers guys, appreciate the support.

Well and truly got the bug for the game again right now. Started playing again this afternoon and aiming to go right the way through.

Sharkscope updated and it turns out I've now played exactly 500 MTTs on my own personal account on Sky as of today.

The low point was December 31st 2014. The graph starts improving from Jan 1st. It's the sort of line I'm happy to see because overall it's heading upwards even if there are dips along the way. Before this year, it was the other way round, overall heading downwards with the odd bounce along the way.

Currently £155 away from overall profit. I'm hoping to get a reasonable cash which takes me right into profit and then I never enter loss territory again.

That's the plan anyway...

• edited May 2015
    Olive the FT went on well past 2am, Rich played very well and was particularly unlucky as he had a 3 way all in around 3 tables left - holding AKdd dominating both villains, he even flopped the flush draw but could not hit, the shorty won the main pot trebling up - this is the same villain that went on to bust poor Orf when Rich shoves A10 from the button with 8bb and gets called by AA in the BB. Rich is back in the green for MTTs :)
    Posted by Janana
    Thanks janana for that. 
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Thanks janana for that. 
    Posted by Darkangel7

Yeah, it was a late one, Olive. 

That's the only downside of running deep...and it's a downside I'd take all day long! (or all night long to be precise).
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Yeah, it was a late one, Olive.  That's the only downside of running deep...and it's a downside I'd take all day long! (or all night long to be precise).
    Posted by RicOrford
    Well played though, was watching your table round about 12ish as well as railing Team TPT who were in ft else where. Was a good game, enjoyed playing it and watching it. What about trying your hand at PLO8?? Come on be a devil dip your toe if you've not already. Tonight's league games are on and it's always fun. Good luck in your games next time you are playing. Might even pop up and say hi and gl gl gl.

• edited May 2015
    When we started on the first table of the rebuy you promised me you'd final table it, good to see your a man who's true to his word! Good result!
  • edited June 2015
    Haven't updated for a while, so thought I'd post...

NOW THAT I WON TONIGHT'S 10.30PM SPEED BOUNTY HUNTER ;-)

Yes, this week's session ended rather nicely. No joy in the main and mini plus the other big BHs, although I ran quite deep in most.

But everything came together for the final game of the night. £55 buy-in, playing against the big hitters, the TommyDs, MattBates, Andrew1947s of the world. And a magic combination of not putting a foot wrong, hitting some ridiculous outdraws, running like god and having a few extended sequences of being a total card rack culminated in a big win for me.

Having not cashed for a little while, this result puts me back to just off my career best. £111 in profit in total on Sky for MTTs over the course of 6 years and £1,099 up in 2015.

Here's the latest Sharkscope..

Yes, I only sing when I'm winning! Something I'm going to correct actually. If I go back to having a shocker next time, I'll look to post about it.

Good luck everyone with hitting any targets you've given yourself this year.
  • edited June 2015
    Very well done Richard. Especially against those sharks ;)  lol

Look forward to some more nice wins from you in the not so distant future. My target is not to go out first hand at UKPC in Notts in August!
  • edited June 2015

Nice one Rich. 
  • edited June 2015

excellent.  pleased for you rich

• edited June 2015
    Very well done Richard. Especially against those sharks ;)  lol Look forward to some more nice wins from you in the not so distant future. My target is not to go out first hand at UKPC in Notts in August!
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Thanks Olive. Have you qualified then? Nice work. You'll be fine in August. Just treat it like an online game on Sky, don't be swayed by the bravado of people chucking their chips round early, play your game, don't panic and you'll have outlasted half the field before you know it.

I'll be commentating on the series when it's broadcast on Sky Sports, so I hope to be saying your name a lot!
  • edited June 2015
    Nice one Rich. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan. Haven't bumped into you on the tables for a while. Hope the poker's going well for you.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Thanks Olive. Have you qualified then? Nice work. You'll be fine in August. Just treat it like an online game on Sky, don't be swayed by the bravado of people chucking their chips round early, play your game, don't panic and you'll have outlasted half the field before you know it. I'll be commentating on the series when it's broadcast on Sky Sports, so I hope to be saying your name a lot!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Yes Rich I freerolled it! So first practice saturday at MK. Am dreading it tbh. Just don't try and analyse my play please. I don't want to know. Just take me as I am, I'm unique! lol

Started a blog my road to Nottingham.
  • edited June 2015
    I'll be commentating on the series when it's broadcast on Sky Sports, so I hope to be saying your name a lot!
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Sigh, Hartigan still unavailable then.

• edited June 2015
    Yes, I only sing when I'm winning! Something I'm going to correct actually. If I go back to having a shocker next time, I'll look to post about it. Good luck everyone with hitting any targets you've given yourself this year.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Ha im glad you noticed this Orf before I got the chance to call you a chip chirper! Your graph is a bit erratic, you going for the Yoyo effect?

Nice work tho Rich I wish id known id have railed, gonna practice any cash for the 100 challenge? lol I know you don't wanna lose to Fowls
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Ha im glad you noticed this Orf before I got the chance to call you a chip chirper! Your graph is a bit erratic, you going for the Yoyo effect? Nice work tho Rich I wish id known id have railed, gonna practice any cash for the 100 challenge? lol I know you don't wanna lose to Fowls
    Posted by Janana
    Cheers Janana- don't think i'm going to practice cash for the 100 challenge. Just going to leave it in the hands of the poker gods. Might have to do what Anna did in the last five minutes and shove it all in to double up...or bust.
  • edited June 2015
    Haven't updated for a while, so thought I'd post... NOW THAT I WON TONIGHT'S 10.30PM SPEED BOUNTY HUNTER ;-) Yes, this week's session ended rather nicely. No joy in the main and mini plus the other big BHs, although I ran quite deep in most. But everything came together for the final game of the night. £55 buy-in, playing against the big hitters, the TommyDs, MattBates, Andrew1947s of the world. And a magic combination of not putting a foot wrong, hitting some ridiculous outdraws, running like god and having a few extended sequences of being a total card rack culminated in a big win for me. Having not cashed for a little while, this result puts me back to just off my career best. £111 in profit in total on Sky for MTTs over the course of 6 years and £1,099 up in 2015. Here's the latest Sharkscope.. Yes, I only sing when I'm winning! Something I'm going to correct actually. If I go back to having a shocker next time, I'll look to post about it. Good luck everyone with hitting any targets you've given yourself this year.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Good evening Mr Orford.
    My target for this year is to have Mr Orford and Mr Moorman play the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited July 2015
    July 1st 2015

At the halfway point in the year now and feeling pretty good about my poker overall in the first 6 months.

Last night though, in front of tens of thousands...not so good.

In case you missed it, I took the 100 Challenge and went out after just 36 minutes putting me bottom of the leaderboard, whilst James Akenhead showed me up and made about £200 in profit and went straight to the top.

So, after such public humiliation, what's the best thing you can do? That's right, get straight back on those tables!

Back in my comfort zone tonight playing MTTs and Bounty Hunters, hoping to build on last Wednesday's success story (see above) and chase those last night blues away.

Will definitely play the 8pm main, 8.30pm mini, 9pm Bounty Hunter and probably the 10.30pm Speed Bounty Hunter. And a few others besides. See you at the tables- my alias is ricorford.
  • edited July 2015
    Good luck tonight, Rich. At least you know it can't get any worse than last night. Stick to tournaments, I don't think cash is your strong suit.
  • edited July 2015
    Good luck tonight, Rich. At least you know it can't get any worse than last night. Stick to tournaments, I don't think cash is your strong suit.
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
    Cheers mate. I think you just made the understatement of 2015!
  • edited July 2015
    So, I felt pretty good going into this week's session.

I'm in the middle of doing lots of commentary with Sam Grafton for the UKPC which will be airing on Sky Sports in the next few weeks and watching all these top players non-stop for hours on end and listening to Sam must have rubbed off, because I felt confident and for the first half of the night played extremely well.

A few mistakes crept in during the second half, but I still managed to go mega deep in both the main and the 9pm Bounty Hunter.

8th in the main, 7th in the BH. 

Or, to put it another way, 2 off the final table in the main; and the bubble boy in the BH!

Luckily because they were bounty hunters I'd taken a few heads along the way so I ran out the night about £80 up.

I'm happy about that, but frustrated that I came so close to a combined total of about £3000 in prize money had I won both, and more realistically, a profit of a good few hundred pounds, maybe a grand if I'd finished 3 or 4 spots higher in each game.

C'est la vie. Think that takes my Sharkscope to around about the zero mark again having dipped again into overall loss in the last couple of weeks. So that's something I guess.
  • edited July 2015
    So, I felt pretty good going into this week's session. I'm in the middle of doing lots of commentary with Sam Grafton for the UKPC which will be airing on Sky Sports in the next few weeks and watching all these top players non-stop for hours on end and listening to Sam must have rubbed off, because I felt confident and for the first half of the night played extremely well. A few mistakes crept in during the second half, but I still managed to go mega deep in both the main and the 9pm Bounty Hunter. 8th in the main, 7th in the BH.  Or, to put it another way, 2 off the final table in the main; and the bubble boy in the BH! Luckily because they were bounty hunters I'd taken a few heads along the way so I ran out the night about £80 up. I'm happy about that, but frustrated that I came so close to a combined total of about £3000 in prize money had I won both, and more realistically, a profit of a good few hundred pounds, maybe a grand if I'd finished 3 or 4 spots higher in each game. C'est la vie. Think that takes my Sharkscope to around about the zero mark again having dipped again into overall loss in the last couple of weeks. So that's something I guess.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Can you do me a list of the top players going to DTD Rich please, so know who i'm up against.........lmao

Well played last night and where did all those chips come from! 97k wasn't it on one of them..........
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Can you do me a list of the top players going to DTD Rich please, so know who i'm up against.........lmao Well played last night and where did all those chips come from! 97k wasn't it on one of them..........
    Posted by Darkangel7

I don't know who's going to the next one yet in August, mate. But you'll soon find out if you're playing in it! I expect the usual top player suspects will be there- Neil Channing, Tom Middleton, Sam Trickett, Paul Jackson, James Akenhead etc etc. And Tikay will also be there. ;-)

Yeah, my laptop had never seen the figure 97,000 chips on it before- and almost spontaneously combusted.

Really quite disappointed about last night- think I dropped the ball and lost out on about a grand. Sigh.