You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

(The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015

Comments

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015:
    Hi Rich, Just checking if you will be playing in the HU cup competition? Tikay has kindly nominated you and you have a spot reserved, although I will have to release that if you bottle out. Bit worrying that as a previously ridiculed MTT player - you are now actually getting winning HU practice. The thread is here... https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a35a6ee34-0fb3-4efa-b29b-4f25ded2016c&plckCurrentPage=0
    Posted by Phantom66
    I'm in, Phantom. Looks fun.

If you remember to, please drop me a reminder on this thread nearer the time of the first round.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : I hear your legal team are very busy throughout the year challenging all the restraining orders that drop through your letterbox every week. Anyway, you'll be glad to hear normal service was resumed in the last session. Got absolutely nowhere. Next session is tomorrow night where I will be gunning for a 9pm BH final table appearance, a Mini event win and 2nd place in the main. I expect to narrowly miss the cash in the 10.30pm Bounty Hunter.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Good luck tonight in that. Hope you run golden
  • edited September 2015
  • edited October 2015
    So, this week (Wednesday 7th Oct)- was interesting.

I started well enough, beating RLT16 in Phantom66's Heads Up knockout forum competition to progress to Round 3. 

I was playing pretty well and hoped to take that form on to the MTT tables for the rest of the night- so signed up for my usual main and mini events. Plus the two £55 Bounty Hunters.

Well, the two £55 BHs just didn't happen for me this week.

The main and mini though were epics.

The mini event had a field of 229 runners and I came 20th!
    RicOrford020

£29.04

And the main event had 258 runners and I came 11th!

RicOrford011£99.84
    Couple of decent cashes there, but with two top twenty finishes you can well imagine I was beginning to wonder at one stage if I could win one of them. It was even in the back of my mind that I had extra jackpot money to go on top if I made both final tables.

Winning both those games tonight would have netted me a very, very tasty £7362.70!!!!

So, I can't help feeling a little disappointed that having been very comfortable in two tournaments for 5 hours straight I eventually walked away with a profit of around £80.

Still, mustn't grumble! I pretty much recouped my outlay for the night, finishing the session about £20 down. Which is better than a slap in the chops.

Also, as football managers always say about defeats: there were a lot of positives to be taken from the experience. For one, I'm enjoying my poker. And secondly, I know I've improved a lot this year. it's probably been my biggest single step up in the 14 years I've been playing online poker.

Back next week then to try and better tonight's results!
  • edited October 2015
    So, this week (Wednesday 7th Oct)- was interesting. I started well enough, beating RLT16 in Phantom66's Heads Up knockout forum competition to progress to Round 3.  I was playing pretty well and hoped to take that form on to the MTT tables for the rest of the night- so signed up for my usual main and mini events. Plus the two £55 Bounty Hunters. Well, the two £55 BHs just didn't happen for me this week. The main and mini though were epics. The mini even t had a field of 229 runners and I came 20th! RicOrford 0 20 £29.04 And the main event had 258 runners and I came 11th! RicOrford 0 11 £99.84 Couple of decent cashes there, but with two top twenty finishes you can well imagine I was beginning to wonder at one stage if I could win one of them. It was even in the back of my mind that I had extra jackpot money to go on top if I made both final tables. Winning both those games tonight would have netted me a very, very tasty £7362.70!!!! So, I can't help feeling a little disappointed that having been very comfortable in two tournaments for 5 hours straight I eventually walked away with a profit of around £80. Still, mustn't grumble! I pretty much recouped my outlay for the night, finishing the session about £20 down. Which is better than a slap in the chops. Also, as football managers always say about defeats: there were a lot of positives to be taken from the experience. For one, I'm enjoying my poker. And secondly, I know I've improved a lot this year. it's probably been my biggest single step up in the 14 years I've been playing online poker. Back next week then to try and better tonight's results!
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Brendan Rodgers was fond of saying much the same thing.......

Oh, & well played, I suppose.
  • edited October 2015

A brag post about losing twenty quid. WP Rich ;)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Brendan Rodgers was fond of saying much the same thing....... Oh, & well played, I suppose.
    Posted by Tikay10

Much of my competitive skills has been learned from studying the great managers of the day- D ick Advocaat, Brendan Rogers, Tim Sherwood, Steve McClaren etc.
  • edited October 2015
    A brag post about losing twenty quid. WP Rich ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Lol! I know. Awesome, isn't it?

I'm thinking of taking up a career in politics...
  • edited October 2015
    Not sure how you swerved the million outs I had going to the river....
    trevluca21 Small blind  250.00 250.00 13406.25
    kawamattyz Big blind  500.00 750.00 14727.50
      Your hole cards

DustoLucko Fold     
    RicOrford Raise  1200.00 1950.00 21562.50
    hhyftrftdr Call  1200.00 3150.00 15080.00
    paul10 Fold     
    trevluca21 Fold     
    kawamattyz Raise  2400.00 5550.00 12327.50
    RicOrford Call  1700.00 7250.00 19862.50
    hhyftrftdr Call  1700.00 8950.00 13380.00
    Flop

kawamattyz Bet  3500.00 12450.00 8827.50
    RicOrford Call  3500.00 15950.00 16362.50
    hhyftrftdr All-in  13380.00 29330.00 0.00
    kawamattyz All-in  8827.50 38157.50 0.00
    RicOrford All-in  16362.50 54520.00 0.00
    RicOrford Unmatched bet  6482.50 48037.50 6482.50
    kawamattyz Show
    • K
    • K

RicOrford Show

hhyftrftdr Show

Turn

River

• A

RicOrford Win Three 9s 48037.50  54520.00
    wp last night!
  • edited October 2015
    Not sure how you swerved the million outs I had going to the river.... trevluca21 Small blind   250.00 250.00 13406.25 kawamattyz Big blind   500.00 750.00 14727.50   Your hole cards 5 4       DustoLucko Fold         RicOrford Raise   1200.00 1950.00 21562.50 hhyftrftdr Call   1200.00 3150.00 15080.00 paul10 Fold         trevluca21 Fold         kawamattyz Raise   2400.00 5550.00 12327.50 RicOrford Call   1700.00 7250.00 19862.50 hhyftrftdr Call   1700.00 8950.00 13380.00 Flop     9 4 6       kawamattyz Bet   3500.00 12450.00 8827.50 RicOrford Call   3500.00 15950.00 16362.50 hhyftrftdr All-in   13380.00 29330.00 0.00 kawamattyz All-in   8827.50 38157.50 0.00 RicOrford All-in   16362.50 54520.00 0.00 RicOrford Unmatched bet   6482.50 48037.50 6482.50 kawamattyz Show K K       RicOrford Show 9 9       hhyftrftdr Show 5 4       Turn     7       River     A       RicOrford Win Three 9s 48037.50   54520.00 wp last night!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Skillz, Harry. Pure skillz. ;-)

Yeah, that was a big moment in the game for me. Three-way all-in and I was chipleader after that. You can count yourself a little unlucky there.

On the flipside, I think it was in the 9pm BH that I was doing nicely and also aiming for a chipleading moment...getting it all-in uber-good against another big stack that had me covered. And they runner-runnered it. The last card was a one-outer! And I was out. So, swings and roundabouts!
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Rich congrats on running deep, I had you on both tables last night and thought you played well.

I'm obviously buttering you up for a reason as i'm not sure if you remember but we played a big hand last night and I want to know what you had. :)

You raised UTG, I called and so did another. Flop was 10 10 9 ( with 2 clubs ) the guy donk bets, you flat and so do I. The turn is a club, he checks and you bet 6500 2/3 pot. i call and the river is another 9. You then go allin for 9k or so which was just over half my stack. Im sitting there with AQ the nut flush thinking FML. I didnt see many bluffs in your range when you led turn big 3 way, altho its hard to put someone on such a narrow range as just fh's.

Anyways you dont have to say was just curious. goodluck in your next session.

D x
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Rich congrats on running deep, I had you on both tables last night and thought you played well. I'm obviously buttering you up for a reason as i'm not sure if you remember but we played a big hand last night and I want to know what you had. :) You raised UTG, I called and so did another. Flop was 10 10 9 ( with 2 clubs ) the guy donk bets, you flat and so do I. The turn is a club, he checks and you bet 6500 2/3 pot. i call and the river is another 9. You then go allin for 9k or so which was just over half my stack. Im sitting there with AQ the nut flush thinking FML. I didnt see many bluffs in your range when you led turn big 3 way, altho its hard to put someone on such a narrow range as just fh's. Anyways you dont have to say was just curious. goodluck in your next session. D x
    Posted by devil_tear
    Hi Devil,

GG last night.

The flop in the hand you're thinking of actually came 10 10 4.

I had pocket 4s. Hence why I raised UTG, flatted the flop bet, and started getting money in on the turn. The turn was a 9. And the river was a 9. I didn't love the second 9 at all, as now any 10 is beating me, but I figured from the betting that you might have a flush and ultimately I was never going to lay down my house having already invested so many chips. Also I didn't want you going all-in first and me facing a difficult decision.

Anyway, great fold! :-)

I'll try and post the hand history below...
  • edited October 2015

Argh, can't get the hand to format correctly on here. Maybe someone can do it for me.

It's Hand  #954299781 (23:12 07/10/2015)

• edited October 2015
    Argh, can't get the hand to format correctly on here. Maybe someone can do it for me. It's Hand  #954299781 (23:12 07/10/2015)
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Rich.....another classic mate. Only you can access your HH. So, that will be a brag post hand without showing the hand then ;)
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Rich.....another classic mate. Only you can access your HH. So, that will be a brag post hand without showing the hand then ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY

Lol! Right, that does it. Determined to post this bleeding hand now.

Just remembered, I use Google Chrome but you need to use Safari to post hands don't you?

Watch this space..
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Lol! Right, that does it. Determined to post this bleeding hand now. Just remembered, I use Google Chrome but you need to use Safari to post hands don't you? Watch this space..
    Posted by RICHORFORD

I post hands fine with IE
  • edited October 2015
    Had a nightmare trying to post that hand. Tried everything but it just comes out as HTML gibberish.

So here it is instead as three photos!

• edited October 2015

......OBV photoshopped. GG ;)
  • edited October 2015
    Haha awesome job. That makes alot of sense. Thanks for finding it, i'll sleep sound tonight. GG

D x
  • edited November 2015
    BUMP for Mr Orford.

The HUFA Cup Draw has been completed.

Congratulations on being the only Sky Poker Analyst to make round 3.

Your opponent seems to be looking forward to playing you, so much so he willed it in pre-draw.

The draw was of course entirely fair and random and the £1 Million paid into my bank account the day before the draw was for some legitimate poker consultancy work I did for them 5 years ago.

GL
  • edited November 2015
    3.15am.

After 7 hours of play- tonight's 8.30pm 202 runner Mini Event finished like this...

;-)

Thank gawd for that. My Sharkscope over the last few weeks has looked like the world's most hardcore downward ski slope.

I might go to bed now.
  • edited November 2015
    oioi, very well played sir.
  • edited November 2015
    oioi, very well played sir.
    Posted by MattBates
    Thank you sir. 

And thanks for doing your level best to ruin my dream when we shared a table for a couple of hours! ;-)
  • edited November 2015

Is it true you had 137 rebuys?
  • edited November 2015

I started a thread to congratulate you, HERE

It was not easy to find the right words, but I got there eventually.
  • edited November 2015
    BUMP for Mr Orford. The HUFA Cup Draw has been completed. Congratulations on being the only Sky Poker Analyst to make round 3. Your opponent seems to be looking forward to playing you, so much so he willed it in pre-draw. The draw was of course entirely fair and random and the £1 Million paid into my bank account the day before the draw was for some legitimate poker consultancy work I did for them 5 years ago. GL
    Posted by Phantom66
    thanks phantom - and hello richard - long time since we spoke at luton and on a cold snowy night at stratford - but the big moment has come when we actually have to square up and play in the heads up comp - please let me know when you might be available - i am around most evenings except wednesdays!!!
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : thanks phantom - and hello richard - long time since we spoke at luton and on a cold snowy night at stratford - but the big moment has come when we actually have to square up and play in the heads up comp - please let me know when you might be available - i am around most evenings except wednesdays!!!
    Posted by imber
    Hi imber- I've actually already replied to last night in the Heads Up Call Out Thread.

Typical- Wednesdays is pretty much the only evening I can do it! Are you around at no point at all on Wednesdays? This Wednesday I'm literally available to play this game all day/nigth. Let's say from 10am through till 1am.

If not, Fri 4th, Sat 5th, Sun 6th any good at around say 7pm?
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: (The Imaginatively Titled) Orford Poker Journal 2015 : Hi imber- I've actually already replied to last night in the Heads Up Call Out Thread. Typical- Wednesdays is pretty much the only evening I can do it! Are you around at no point at all on Wednesdays? This Wednesday I'm literally available to play this game all day/nigth. Let's say from 10am through till 1am. If not, Fri 4th, Sat 5th, Sun 6th any good at around say 7pm?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    hi Richard - thank you for your posts (i have seen both replies) - I can do Wednesday 2nd at 5pm if this is any good to you - it is the best of 5 and i choose speed. we need to meet back on the HU call out thread about 1650 ish to move on to a HU table if you can make it - cheers Imber
  • edited December 2015

Just perusing Gary's Results Thread and I see you had a good result in the 9pm BH last night....well played mate. At this rate, you might end the year in profit.
  • edited December 2015
    Just perusing Gary's Results Thread and I see you had a good result in the 9pm BH last night....well played mate. At this rate, you might end the year in profit.
    Posted by MAXALLY

Lol- thanks Alan. 

Cashed in the mini as well, finished around 18th I think.

The main was annoying though- deep run, no cash, but was the monster chip leader for about an hour.

'Profit'? What does that word mean? Will need to look that up...