You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New Sky Poker Rewards

Comments

• edited June 2015

Very happy to have a crack at answering all the questions you posted...good reply by the way, seems to ask some reasonable questions, I may have to have my crack at it later though, in a few hours.

In the mean time can I ask you another question (appreciate you did answer a few and I did ask a few). I'm curious from a market research point of view both as a former owner of a poker site and as the Sky Poker brand ambassador...

What are the reasons that you choose to play on Sky Poker rather than other sites?
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards:
     Very happy to have a crack at answering all the questions you posted...good reply by the way, seems to ask some reasonable questions, I may have to have my crack at it later though, in a few hours.  In the mean time can I ask you another question (appreciate you did answer a few and I did ask a few). I'm curious from a market research point of view both as a former owner of a poker site and as the Sky Poker brand ambassador...  What are the reasons that you choose to play on Sky Poker rather than other sites?
    Posted by NChanning
    I have to go to work, thank you for responding so quickly...

I play at Sky Poker for three main reasons:

1. A UK only player pool (I find this site has very little, if any collusion, and Itrust it more because it is more UK based)
    2. You offer DYM games which is what I find the most fun and profitable
    3. A generally weak poker level of players (and I know you may respond by saying that that is what this new rewards system is trying to promote, but, 99% of these players that this system will help, will not be present in the games and stakes i play at).

Many thanks!
  • edited June 2015
    Hello guys, Following some excellent feedback, we would like to inform you of a few changes that we have made to the new Sky Poker Rewards. 1. We have increased the Tournament Token from £2.20 to  £2.30. 2. We will look to review the Rewards Freeroll payout structure after a couple of weeks of them running. 3. We are making the £2.30 Tournament Tokens cumulative, so that you can save them up and buy into bigger games. 4. The expiration date for the Tournament Tokens has been increased from 2 weeks to 6 months - giving you longer to save up your tokens and spend them on a variety of games. Our customer’s experiences are vital to us. We value everyone's feedback and use it to make Sky Poker a more rewarding, better place for you to enjoy your poker. Many thanks for your suggestions, please do let us know if you have any others. Sky Kirsty
    Posted by SkyKirsty

can we just clarify that this is in fact true now? terms and conditions still say 2 weeks expiry for the tokens and a friend emailed in and was told by sky that in fact they do expire in 2 weeks.. is this a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? i hope this is sorted quickly as it is now live and running 
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Hi Neil, Yes, based on raking on average 5000 points a month, and using the table you yourself posted, i have worked out that on average I am likely to lose around £450 a year. That's a lot of money to many. I assume when you speak of the "very clever people working at sky" you aren't referring to the people that create the software (very poor when compared to leading sites) or are on 24/h chat (that sometimes doesn't even work, and when you do get through who knows what you might get!). Let's assume that the ones behind this idea aren't those people ;-) Anyway, these aren't the reasons I play here, I can live with these side issues. I hope I am not suggesting that the reps are lying, certainly not my intention. I am also not saying things can't change, but one would think as SkyPoker gets bigger and better and we head towards 2020 leaving the recession behind and with all the money SkyPoker/Vegas makes as a company overall, one would hope that a change to a rewards system would be an improvement for every single player, not some and not others? I believe having loyally played on this site almost daily for two years (allbeit not full time), raking approximately $10,000 a year for the site, I am entitled to be disgruntled at something that is going to lose me money, and worst still, potentially affect the traffic in the games that I tend to play on your site. Don't you think that's fair enough?  If I was one of the clever people at Skypoker, I would want to reward loyalty from someone who visits my business daily (more often), instead of rewarding many people with a miniscule £2.30 token that visit the site sporadically (less often) - as a frequent flyer and a nectar card points holder (your example), this is also how they tend to work - don't fly, no airmiles as opposed to "you fly a lot with us, lets use some of your money to reward the masses that only fly with us once or twice". It would appear that "the clever people" are trying to adopt a policy that improves rewards for the masses (most of the masses being those that play very low stakes poker) and also those that play high stakes non cash poker - that's what I can gather from the table anyway. You've tried to cater for everyone, but left out that group on 5000 points that i unfortunately fall into. The way I see it, it is the equivalent of SkyPoker opening a restaurant and trying to fill it with 100 people wanting a burger and a soft drink, rather than 30 people wanting a Wagyu steak and a glass of wine. However, what if all the customers that come to Sky on a daily basis, raking 5000 points a month all decided to leave because they knew they could get their £450 back at another site (and more I would expect), then you would need even more customers to buy the burger and soft drink. Indeed, having waited over 45 minutes for a DYM game this morning, and all the other mornings this week - a game which would normally fill in 10 minutes, it looks like this could be happening right before our eyes, right now. As DCM002 mentions on page 15 - why can't we have a choice whether to switch to the new system or not, or is that too difficult for the "clever people"? ;-) As a company owner myself, I of course welcome new customers to my business. However, the retention of customers (especially those giving me $10,000 a year) is also vitally important, if not more so (new customers can come, not enjoy the product and leave). As previously mentioned by DUNMIDOSH on page 14, with the demise of the tv channel, lowering of guarantees in tournaments, industry high rakes, and now these changes that are going to cost myself and other 5000 points earners a lot of money, which in turn is lowering the traffic in the DYM games I like to play, can SkyPoker or yourself give me a good reason as to what incentive there is for me to stay? Many thanks.
    Posted by Jacquelyn
    You seem to be posting from the viewpoint that you have a right to rakeback. You don't. It's a bonus. Treat is as such. So you're getting a smaller present than before. First world problems or what?

You say "It would appear that "the clever people" are trying to adopt a policy that improves rewards for the masses (most of the masses being those that play very low stakes poker)". Well yes of course. These people are the lifeblood of this or any other poker site. Without them there would be no site.

I say this as someone who will also be worse off under the new regime, I previously received a couple of quid most months but now all that I will get is entry into a few freerolls some weeks that I will be unlikely be at home in time to play.

• edited June 2015
    OK, where to start in this reply?

Firstly, before responding to Jacquelyn I'll address the table that Neil posted. I haven't checked if the figures are correct but know who posted them so will assume they are. You said that from looking at the table that everyone will be better off but the table doesn't include every single points amount that could be earned. Rather, it includes a lot of the minimum points needed to make it to the next level - and these are either the same or better off. But it doesn't show enough of the in-between level points where you will always be worse off under the new system.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this new system is like a points race and I would agree that to some extent, it is. Every week you need to reach X points to get the most benefit out of the reward system. If you get to Saturday and have made 1000 points, then you have to evaluate if it's worth playing over the weekend to make the extra 500 points and go up from 1.25p per point to 1.5p per point. If you think you have a chance of it (and with rewards accelartor over the weekend for cash players, then they would have a good chance - and ofc, there is a SNG double points next weekend) otherwise, then you "may as well not play" - but what then? Are you going to do something else with your weekend other than poker? Or are you going to play on another site for the remaining 2 days? Problem is, if you play on another site for 2 days and can't manage to earn close to 500 points on sky in 2 days, then your reward on any other site is going to be pittance anyway.

Overall you get the most rewards by sticking to one site for X amount of time depending on the reward scheme of each site. Because the more you play, the bigger the increase in rewards. Playing volume over multiple sites means your rewards on each site will add up to less amount of money. If you have to cut out volume for 2 days on Sky because you won't be able to reach the next level, then it might make sense to play somewhere else for the entire week (rather than the last 2 days where your rewards on that site for just 2 days won't be worth it) 

Now, to address some of Jacquelyn's points.

"I do not have time to play more" - You say you average 5000 points per month which is 1250 per week and happens to be right inbetween the Silver badge level. Under the new system you are definitely one of the worst affected but I wouldn't despair about it. 250 points more every week I'm sure is going to be doable especially if you don't work weekend evenings and can play a bit of cash on the side of your regular DYM's when the rewards accelarator is on. If this isn't possible on one week, then you can always play slightly less than usual to just make 1000 points rather than 1250. After all, the 5000 ppw you said was only an average - I'm sure some months you only make 4000 and others you make 6000 or a bit more. Or some weeks you make 800 where other weeks you make 1700. 

Losing £450 per year is only going to happen if you make 1250 per week every week. As for it being a lot of money to "many" - you said yourself you rake £18,500 over 2 years. You've made £8500 from sky in that time. (excluding any rewards you've had) £450 is a worst case scenario - most likely you will lose no more than £50 at most because each week you will either stop/not play much more when you reach 1000 points or carry on to 1500. Of course, if there are good games at the weekend then you may want to carry on playing - so you may lose out on rewards, but you are still making money from poker itself.

As for rewarding the little guys and you not caring because they don't play in your games - this is just not true. The only reason people like me and you can win money at poker is because of the tens of thousands of these little guys that come and put money into the poker economy. Even if they don't play at your game directly, the money will trickle into the games you play. That's what makes the games beatable - if everyone you played against was solid, you would struggle to make any profit at all. Lets say JoeBloggs saves up his £2.30 tokens from micro stake DYM's and enters an £11 Turbo and FT it for £300 - he now has money to play low stake DYM's of £5-£22 level. 

As Mattbates said earlier in the thread - having 50% RB would be all well and good in theory until you realise that you can no longer beat the games. So whilst you might be making £300 per month instead of £100 per month on rewards, you are now breaking even every month on the poker table instead of making £400. A £200 loss on profits despite getting £200 more in rewards every month. If the little guys don't get rewarded and put more money into Skypoker, then that is what would happen. 

Anyway, post is getting fairly long now, so think I'll leave it at that.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to New Sky Poker Rewards:
    Hello everyone, We’re excited to reveal our brand new weekly Sky Poker Rewards Scheme, which will be launching from 1 st June. We wanted to give you all an early heads up of what to expect from the new and improved Sky Poker Rewards – there will be new levels to achieve, weekly cash payments and exciting daily £1,000 Freerolls for anyone that earns over 50 points each week. Read all about the new scheme  here And to celebrate the launch, we’re also giving away an iPad Air 2 in every daily freeroll throughout June! This is just the start of your rewards scheme – we’re looking for your feedback to make this the best rewards scheme we can, so let us know your thoughts. Thank you.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    In a defence of (most) of the moan posts - what sort of response was expected following the OP?

I mean, whatever way you cut it the new scheme does leave a lot of players worse off and they are never going to be providing feedback that says 'This new scheme is perfect, you don't need my feedback to make this the best rewards scheme you can, because you've nailed it' - if it was really was OUR rewards scheme then the best it could be would start at 100% rakeback and add in a few more promos from there ;)

Obviously that is entirely unworkable from Sky's POV, but that is where it maybe required a different tone to the announcement of changes if they wanted to generate a less negative and more productive response.

I'm pretty sure the mutual ground that could have been sold to us is that Sky and the existing players want more traffic on the site. More traffic = bigger prize pools and more regularly filling SNG tables, probably with a good smattering of weaker players as part of that mix... so more rake for Sky and opportunity to win more for players.

I'd assume that this new scheme will have been modelled to achieve that.  And if doesn't then player numbers will fall and it will quickly be revised, either returning to the old scheme or moving on to something different again.

If it doesn't, well Sky fails and sadly a whole bunch of people lose their jobs while as players we simply bunk off to other sites where the games keep running and (hopefully) the rake rewards are generous :)
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : You seem to be posting from the viewpoint that you have a right to rakeback. You don't. It's a bonus. Treat is as such. 
    Posted by FCHD
    If no poker sites offered RB/C4P/REWARDS (call it what you want) I would agree with you. But when they all do (i don't know one that doesn't, do you?) i think its fair to assume that every regular poker player can expect a monthly loyalty bonus.
  • edited June 2015
    OK, where to start in this reply? Firstly, before responding to Jacquelyn I'll address the table that Neil posted. I haven't checked if the figures are correct but know who posted them so will assume they are. You said that from looking at the table that everyone will be better off but the table doesn't include every single points amount that could be earned. Rather, it includes a lot of the minimum points needed to make it to the next level - and these are either the same or better off. But it doesn't show enough of the in-between level points where you will always be worse off under the new system. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this new system is like a points race and I would agree that to some extent, it is. Every week you need to reach X points to get the most benefit out of the reward system. If you get to Saturday and have made 1000 points, then you have to evaluate if it's worth playing over the weekend to make the extra 500 points and go up from 1.25p per point to 1.5p per point. If you think you have a chance of it (and with rewards accelartor over the weekend for cash players, then they would have a good chance - and ofc, there is a SNG double points next weekend) otherwise, then you "may as well not play" - but what then? Are you going to do something else with your weekend other than poker? Or are you going to play on another site for the remaining 2 days? Problem is, if you play on another site for 2 days and can't manage to earn close to 500 points on sky in 2 days, then your reward on any other site is going to be pittance anyway. Overall you get the most rewards by sticking to one site for X amount of time depending on the reward scheme of each site. Because the more you play, the bigger the increase in rewards. Playing volume over multiple sites means your rewards on each site will add up to less amount of money. If you have to cut out volume for 2 days on Sky because you won't be able to reach the next level, then it might make sense to play somewhere else for the entire week (rather than the last 2 days where your rewards on that site for just 2 days won't be worth it)  Now, to address some of Jacquelyn's points. "I do not have time to play more" - You say you average 5000 points per month which is 1250 per week and happens to be right inbetween the Silver badge level. Under the new system you are definitely one of the worst affected but I wouldn't despair about it. 250 points more every week I'm sure is going to be doable especially if you don't work weekend evenings and can play a bit of cash on the side of your regular DYM's when the rewards accelarator is on. If this isn't possible on one week, then you can always play slightly less than usual to just make 1000 points rather than 1250. After all, the 5000 ppw you said was only an average - I'm sure some months you only make 4000 and others you make 6000 or a bit more. Or some weeks you make 800 where other weeks you make 1700.  Losing £450 per year is only going to happen if you make 1250 per week every week. As for it being a lot of money to "many" - you said yourself you rake £18,500 over 2 years. You've made £8500 from sky in that time. (excluding any rewards you've had) £450 is a worst case scenario - most likely you will lose no more than £50 at most because each week you will either stop/not play much more when you reach 1000 points or carry on to 1500. Of course, if there are good games at the weekend then you may want to carry on playing - so you may lose out on rewards, but you are still making money from poker itself. As for rewarding the little guys and you not caring because they don't play in your games - this is just not true. The only reason people like me and you can win money at poker is because of the tens of thousands of these little guys that come and put money into the poker economy. Even if they don't play at your game directly, the money will trickle into the games you play. That's what makes the games beatable - if everyone you played against was solid, you would struggle to make any profit at all. Lets say JoeBloggs saves up his £2.30 tokens from micro stake DYM's and enters an £11 Turbo and FT it for £300 - he now has money to play low stake DYM's of £5-£22 level.  As Mattbates said earlier in the thread - having 50% RB would be all well and good in theory until you realise that you can no longer beat the games. So whilst you might be making £300 per month instead of £100 per month on rewards, you are now breaking even every month on the poker table instead of making £400. A £200 loss on profits despite getting £200 more in rewards every month. If the little guys don't get rewarded and put more money into Skypoker, then that is what would happen.  Anyway, post is getting fairly long now, so think I'll leave it at that.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Nice reply, thank you - so it would appear unless i am sort of robot that rakes the same 1250 every week, it won't actually be £450, that's good news.

I still don't think its fair that the way Sky have done this is to affect some people in a good way and others in a bad way - im pretty sure the business makes a lot of money, and to "improve" their rewards system would simply be to make it better for every single player, perhaps a lot better for the masses and a little bit better for the regulars, but still better for absolutely everyone.

I don't play weekends and evenings as have family, and dont play cash, so I even miss out on all the double points promotions too - you probably couldn't find a player this effects more than me haha!!

Thanks for explaining it a bit for me though :-)

• edited June 2015
    OK, where to start in this reply? Firstly, before responding to Jacquelyn I'll address the table that Neil posted. I haven't checked if the figures are correct but know who posted them so will assume they are. You said that from looking at the table that everyone will be better off but the table doesn't include every single points amount that could be earned. Rather, it includes a lot of the minimum points needed to make it to the next level - and these are either the same or better off. But it doesn't show enough of the in-between level points where you will always be worse off under the new system. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this new system is like a points race and I would agree that to some extent, it is. Every week you need to reach X points to get the most benefit out of the reward system. If you get to Saturday and have made 1000 points, then you have to evaluate if it's worth playing over the weekend to make the extra 500 points and go up from 1.25p per point to 1.5p per point. If you think you have a chance of it (and with rewards accelartor over the weekend for cash players, then they would have a good chance - and ofc, there is a SNG double points next weekend) otherwise, then you "may as well not play" - but what then? Are you going to do something else with your weekend other than poker? Or are you going to play on another site for the remaining 2 days? Problem is, if you play on another site for 2 days and can't manage to earn close to 500 points on sky in 2 days, then your reward on any other site is going to be pittance anyway. Overall you get the most rewards by sticking to one site for X amount of time depending on the reward scheme of each site. Because the more you play, the bigger the increase in rewards. Playing volume over multiple sites means your rewards on each site will add up to less amount of money. If you have to cut out volume for 2 days on Sky because you won't be able to reach the next level, then it might make sense to play somewhere else for the entire week (rather than the last 2 days where your rewards on that site for just 2 days won't be worth it)  Now, to address some of Jacquelyn's points. "I do not have time to play more" - You say you average 5000 points per month which is 1250 per week and happens to be right inbetween the Silver badge level. Under the new system you are definitely one of the worst affected but I wouldn't despair about it. 250 points more every week I'm sure is going to be doable especially if you don't work weekend evenings and can play a bit of cash on the side of your regular DYM's when the rewards accelarator is on. If this isn't possible on one week, then you can always play slightly less than usual to just make 1000 points rather than 1250. After all, the 5000 ppw you said was only an average - I'm sure some months you only make 4000 and others you make 6000 or a bit more. Or some weeks you make 800 where other weeks you make 1700.  Losing £450 per year is only going to happen if you make 1250 per week every week. As for it being a lot of money to "many" - you said yourself you rake £18,500 over 2 years. You've made £8500 from sky in that time. (excluding any rewards you've had) £450 is a worst case scenario - most likely you will lose no more than £50 at most because each week you will either stop/not play much more when you reach 1000 points or carry on to 1500. Of course, if there are good games at the weekend then you may want to carry on playing - so you may lose out on rewards, but you are still making money from poker itself. As for rewarding the little guys and you not caring because they don't play in your games - this is just not true. The only reason people like me and you can win money at poker is because of the tens of thousands of these little guys that come and put money into the poker economy. Even if they don't play at your game directly, the money will trickle into the games you play. That's what makes the games beatable - if everyone you played against was solid, you would struggle to make any profit at all. Lets say JoeBloggs saves up his £2.30 tokens from micro stake DYM's and enters an £11 Turbo and FT it for £300 - he now has money to play low stake DYM's of £5-£22 level.  As Mattbates said earlier in the thread - having 50% RB would be all well and good in theory until you realise that you can no longer beat the games. So whilst you might be making £300 per month instead of £100 per month on rewards, you are now breaking even every month on the poker table instead of making £400. A £200 loss on profits despite getting £200 more in rewards every month. If the little guys don't get rewarded and put more money into Skypoker, then that is what would happen.  Anyway, post is getting fairly long now, so think I'll leave it at that.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Nice reply, thank you - so it would appear unless i am sort of robot that rakes the same 1250 every week, it won't actually be £450, that's good news.

I still don't think its fair that the way Sky have done this is to affect some people in a good way and others in a bad way - im pretty sure the business makes a lot of money, and to "improve" their rewards system would simply be to make it better for every single player, perhaps a lot better for the masses and a little bit better for the regulars, but still better for absolutely everyone.

I don't play weekends and evenings as have family, and dont play cash, so I even miss out on all the double points promotions too - you probably couldn't find a player this effects more than me haha!!

Thanks for explaining it a bit for me though :-)

• edited June 2015
    Sorry is this the jacqueline that was disqualified from the heads up promo? Now moaning? Perhaps I have the wrong one and apologies if I do.

Gosh I'd be happy Im still playing on the site ifI was disqualified from a promo.

Ger
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : can we just clarify that this is in fact true now? terms and conditions still say 2 weeks expiry for the tokens and a friend emailed in and was told by sky that in fact they do expire in 2 weeks.. is this a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? i hope this is sorted quickly as it is now live and running 
    Posted by vinny67
    I dont see this answered.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to New Sky Poker Rewards : In a defence of (most) of the moan posts - what sort of response was expected following the OP? I mean, whatever way you cut it the new scheme does leave a lot of players worse off and they are never going to be providing feedback that says 'This new scheme is perfect, you don't need my feedback to make this the best rewards scheme you can, because you've nailed it' - if it was really was OUR rewards scheme then the best it could be would start at 100% rakeback and add in a few more promos from there ;) Obviously that is entirely unworkable from Sky's POV, but that is where it maybe required a different tone to the announcement of changes if they wanted to generate a less negative and more productive response. I'm pretty sure the mutual ground that could have been sold to us is that Sky and the existing players want more traffic on the site. More traffic = bigger prize pools and more regularly filling SNG tables, probably with a good smattering of weaker players as part of that mix... so more rake for Sky and opportunity to win more for players. I'd assume that this new scheme will have been modelled to achieve that.  And if doesn't then player numbers will fall and it will quickly be revised, either returning to the old scheme or moving on to something different again. If it doesn't, well Sky fails and sadly a whole bunch of people lose their jobs while as players we simply bunk off to other sites where the games keep running and (hopefully) the rake rewards are generous :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Nice post!

I play for fun, and there is now zero incentive for me to play with Sky compared to other sites.
    Having read the posts and compared the traffic to previous years.
    I see no increase in traffic! I see only decreases, except in live tournaments at DTD

I have no problem with Sky changing their rewards programme! It's their Gig they can do what they want.
    I do have a problem with the way it's been sold to the customers.

I respect most, if not all the faces that have posted on this thread, its like a who's who of Sky Poker!

None of them are numpties! All have more than one brain cell! I find it hard to understand how the new rewards scheme is being sold as the best thing since sliced bread, when clearly, The bread has gone stale!

If Sky want to change things then come clean, but please don't treat loyal customers like idiots.

• edited June 2015
    Just wondering has the 4pm 5pm and 6pm freerolls all been scrapped?
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Nice post! I play for fun, and there is now zero incentive for me to play with Sky compared to other sites. Having read the posts and compared the traffic to previous years. I see no increase in traffic! I see only decreases, except in live tournaments at DTD I have no problem with Sky changing their rewards programme! It's their Gig they can do what they want. I do have a problem with the way it's been sold to the customers. I respect most, if not all the faces that have posted on this thread, its like a who's who of Sky Poker! None of them are numpties! All have more than one brain cell! I find it hard to understand how the new rewards scheme is being sold as the best thing since sliced bread, when clearly, The bread has gone stale! If Sky want to change things then come clean, but please don't treat loyal customers like idiots.
    Posted by cleansweep
    Just a quick reply to this one as I'm in a rush but this is just obvious...

If the rewards system is going to COLLECTIVELY reward players more and cost Sky Poker more in total then how can that possibly be a bad thing for customers as a whole? I totally take the point that some people are going to be worse off if they continue to play exactly the same games, number of tables and hours as they currently do but it has to be remembered that part of the point of rewards systems whether by petrol stations, airlines, supermarkets is to try and encourage changes to consumer behaviour.

The other very obvious point is that every day from March to September the liquidity on all poker sites goes down...it's a seasonal business. The quietest month of the year is July and June and August are just behind. 
  • edited June 2015
    Quuestion for Sky JP if he is around.

Under the old scheme, you were guarenteed 2p a point for making priority. If you were to make priority under this scheme playing just SNGs and say make 10,000 points exactly, you are entitled to 10% of rake paid.

Given there is a double point weekend approaching, will the 10% of rake paid for making 10,000 points be purely 10% of rake paid or is there are minimum buffer, like before?

Basically, if you were to make all 10,000 points during the double points weekend, playing only SNGs, would you receive £50 as the 10% or more?

Thanks in advance.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to New Sky Poker Rewards : In a defence of (most) of the moan posts - what sort of response was expected following the OP? I mean, whatever way you cut it the new scheme does leave a lot of players worse off and they are never going to be providing feedback that says 'This new scheme is perfect, you don't need my feedback to make this the best rewards scheme you can, because you've nailed it' - if it was really was OUR rewards scheme then the best it could be would start at 100% rakeback and add in a few more promos from there ;) Obviously that is entirely unworkable from Sky's POV, but that is where it maybe required a different tone to the announcement of changes if they wanted to generate a less negative and more productive response. I'm pretty sure the mutual ground that could have been sold to us is that Sky and the existing players want more traffic on the site. More traffic = bigger prize pools and more regularly filling SNG tables, probably with a good smattering of weaker players as part of that mix... so more rake for Sky and opportunity to win more for players. I'd assume that this new scheme will have been modelled to achieve that.  And if doesn't then player numbers will fall and it will quickly be revised, either returning to the old scheme or moving on to something different again. If it doesn't, well Sky fails and sadly a whole bunch of people lose their jobs while as players we simply bunk off to other sites where the games keep running and (hopefully) the rake rewards are generous :)
    Posted by shakinaces
     I don't really get this. Are you saying they should have said..."We've changed the rewards scheme a lot of you are going to be much better off and some of you are going to be worse off but collectively you'll all be better off despite the fact that most people won't really have worked out how it will effect them before they start moaning".

They came up with a change that puts money onto the site...whether that money goes directly into every individual players pocket as rakeback or not, it has to be a good thing for ALL players that in the three-pronged poker game where you/your opponents and Sky Poker are attempting to get something out of every game played one of the three has made a change that benefits the other two.

Surely Sky Poker were entitled to trumpet that change?
  • edited June 2015
    Have to agree, as a casual low stakes player there are now zero reasons to stay on sky.
    TV show gone, so no entertainment, community involvement or education ( I know they do 2 hrs a week but compared to 15 hrs, it is gone.)
    No loyalty bonus unless you play stupid amounts
    IPad app which is buggy at best, often causing losses, and way behind other sites (1 table limit?)
    Time to dust off the poker stars account I guess, was fun while it lasted.

P.s. calling this "new and improved" is best joke in ages.

• edited June 2015
    I feel I have to point out some mathamatical flaws here. Taking the example given i.e. 5000pts a month is 1250 a week, well that is not true except february and not every year then. It would be more accurate if you said that 5000pts a month works out at 1166 a week as there are more than 4 weeks in a month. This means that to maintain the 1250 a week you have to earn another 5000pts a year. For those who were near the bottom of the scales shown who were not worse off according to the figures. They will drop below unless they increase there rake to sky by approx 8.5%. They will of course be paid for the extra points they have earned so it is hardly a disaster. I personally did not come to play on sky for the rakeback or rewards as Sky like to call it, I would never have come to Sky for that, I can and I do do better elsewhere in that respect. The rake is high here especially on lower levels, I still can't believe they actually rake rebuys. I came here to enjoy myself I saw the TV channel and thought that looks like fun, and well done to the presenters for making it so. The forum also had a great community spirit. Recently the channel has gone and there have been some very bad vibes on the forum, Sky probably needed to do something and I only hope the extra revenue this hopefully generates will be used to re-vitalise Skypoker and The promos will make it a fun place again. I wait to see what happens perhaps others should. And should anyone be interested I will be worse off under the new scheme.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Just a quick reply to this one as I'm in a rush but this is just obvious...  If the rewards system is going to COLLECTIVELY reward players more and cost Sky Poker more in total then how can that possibly be a bad thing for customers as a whole? I totally take the point that some people are going to be worse off if they continue to play exactly the same games, number of tables and hours as they currently do but it has to be remembered that part of the point of rewards systems whether by petrol stations, airlines, supermarkets is to try and encourage changes to consumer behaviour.  The other very obvious point is that every day from March to September the liquidity on all poker sites goes down...it's a seasonal business. The quietest month of the year is July and June and August are just behind. 
    Posted by NChanning
    Thanks for your reply.

My stats were based on personal experience year on year not month on month.

I have stated that I have no qualms about Sky changing the reward scheme. it is their prerogative.

I was just upset that it has been described as new and improved, When for the many players similar to myself rewards have been taken away.

I cannot understand why Sky would expect losing players who deposit, to stay on the site when all our incentives have disappeared.

You. yourself have stated in interviews. That table selection should be based on whether you had an edge or not.

The only edge recreational players received on Sky was the reward system.

Now contributors have to achieve 50 poker points a week, just to get access to freerolls with potentially thousands of runners

as opposed to 100 + points a month to get cash back .

Irrespective of how much I got back, it was still a return I could decide how to utilise.

I apologise for my inability to explain why the poker experience I will get from the new system will be tarnished compared to the old system.

but I guess it is because I am looking from the bottom up and not from your privileged position looking from the top down

Good Luck in Vegas
  • edited June 2015

Would it not be of general benefit to hold fire with the criticism, until the system has run for a few weeks.

Actual figures will then be available, and it will be far easier to see how each individual is effected.

If one group of players is adversely effected it will become clear.

I think it has been said the new system is not set in stone.

Not too bothered myself but lets put some meat on the bones before the dummy is spat.

Daggers

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Hi Neil, Yes, based on raking on average 5000 points a month, and using the table you yourself posted, i have worked out that on average I am likely to lose around £450 a year. That's a lot of money to many. I assume when you speak of the "very clever people working at sky" you aren't referring to the people that create the software (very poor when compared to leading sites) or are on 24/h chat (that sometimes doesn't even work, and when you do get through who knows what you might get!). Let's assume that the ones behind this idea aren't those people ;-) Anyway, these aren't the reasons I play here, I can live with these side issues. I hope I am not suggesting that the reps are lying, certainly not my intention. I am also not saying things can't change, but one would think as SkyPoker gets bigger and better and we head towards 2020 leaving the recession behind and with all the money SkyPoker/Vegas makes as a company overall, one would hope that a change to a rewards system would be an improvement for every single player, not some and not others? I believe having loyally played on this site almost daily for two years (allbeit not full time), raking approximately $10,000 a year for the site, I am entitled to be disgruntled at something that is going to lose me money, and worst still, potentially affect the traffic in the games that I tend to play on your site. Don't you think that's fair enough?  If I was one of the clever people at Skypoker, I would want to reward loyalty from someone who visits my business daily (more often), instead of rewarding many people with a miniscule £2.30 token that visit the site sporadically (less often) - as a frequent flyer and a nectar card points holder (your example), this is also how they tend to work - don't fly, no airmiles as opposed to "you fly a lot with us, lets use some of your money to reward the masses that only fly with us once or twice". It would appear that "the clever people" are trying to adopt a policy that improves rewards for the masses (most of the masses being those that play very low stakes poker) and also those that play high stakes non cash poker - that's what I can gather from the table anyway. You've tried to cater for everyone, but left out that group on 5000 points that i unfortunately fall into. The way I see it, it is the equivalent of SkyPoker opening a restaurant and trying to fill it with 100 people wanting a burger and a soft drink, rather than 30 people wanting a Wagyu steak and a glass of wine. However, what if all the customers that come to Sky on a daily basis, raking 5000 points a month all decided to leave because they knew they could get their £450 back at another site (and more I would expect), then you would need even more customers to buy the burger and soft drink. Indeed, having waited over 45 minutes for a DYM game this morning, and all the other mornings this week - a game which would normally fill in 10 minutes, it looks like this could be happening right before our eyes, right now. As DCM002 mentions on page 15 - why can't we have a choice whether to switch to the new system or not, or is that too difficult for the "clever people"? ;-) As a company owner myself, I of course welcome new customers to my business. However, the retention of customers (especially those giving me $10,000 a year) is also vitally important, if not more so (new customers can come, not enjoy the product and leave). As previously mentioned by DUNMIDOSH on page 14, with the demise of the tv channel, lowering of guarantees in tournaments, industry high rakes, and now these changes that are going to cost myself and other 5000 points earners a lot of money, which in turn is lowering the traffic in the DYM games I like to play, can SkyPoker or yourself give me a good reason as to what incentive there is for me to stay? Many thanks.
    Posted by Jacquelyn
     Had a hectic day and a long thought out post deserves a decent reply. I have read every post on this thread and I read them from the start but given that the system will be better for some people, worse for others and the same for many people in terms of how much they get, and given that people are way more likely to make a post and to be grumpy if they are one of the people who are likely to be worse off under the scheme it did feel like posting to reply would be  waste of time in a lot of cases.

Firstly though as a general point I will say again that everyone who is upset and who feels they are likely to be worse off should remember that part of the purpose of the reward system is to encourage changes in behaviour. Maybe Sky feel they'd like to give a little extra to Mtt players and to really encourage Stt players and possibly they feel that certain cash game players they would prefer to reward less or they'd prefer to encourage to make that leap to the next level. It is possible to change the kind of games we play, to play more tables or to play different hours and if people feel so strongly that they want to get the rewards they were getting before and they need to change their behaviour to do that then they do have that option.

On the airline point though I would argue that poker sites are totally different. There are players who are very good for poker sites and some who are not so good. Generally you could split players into four categories...

Those who deposit regularly a lot of money, who play slowly over many tables and hours, they lose and they start games and are happy to keep games going out of hours.

Players who do all of that but lose slightly too quickly and do less hours.

Players that never really lose so they don't deposit but they put in lots of hours and help start games.

Players that never lose or deposit, who play the minimum get the maximum by "gaming" the rewards scheme and they never start games.

If online poker was starting again tomorrow all sites would start by rewarding the top ones on the list and they wouldn't bother rewarding the fourth category at all. Those people are paying a lot of rake but they do not contribute to the economy, they win lots of money and they cause the site to have to spend huge amounts on attracting new players who they keep destroying really quickly. They win large amounts from playing and do not need rewarding.

I'm not sure which one of those you are closest to but I know that every site when making any changes is looking always to make things slightly better for the top people at the expense of the bottom ones. The more they do that the better the games will be for all and therefore the pros that do stay will make enough extra to get the money they lost back. I think the tokens do a great job of encouraging more money into the poker economy at the lower levels and that money will travel upwards and benefit all.

I agree it does sound like you are going to be worse off under the reward scheme as definitely some people will and you will have to look at what you get out of poker on Sky in terms of winnings/losses in terms of enjoying the games and the community and in terms of rewards and decide what you can get elsewhere, but I would say that I know of one network in Europe where you can easily get 80% rakeback but I know almost no pros that play there as the games are full of bots and semi pro grinders attempting to simply break even and live off the rake. That isn't the kind of poker you get to play at Sky and that's because the extremely smart team that make these decisions really do understand the ecology of the poker site.

• edited June 2015

On the subject of giving people the option of joining the new system or sticking with the old the answer is obvious. The majority of people are not going to be effected too much either way so they'd be confused, the smallest of the three groups will be worse off so they'll stick with the old system and the middle size group will be better off so they'll change. Sky will have masses of extra hassle running two systems and the whole thing will cost them masses more and discourage new players who will find it complicated.

On the subject of just giving everyone extra they could. You are right, Sky Betting and Gaming is very successful and they could email the bosses of the Bingo, Betting and Vegas parts of the business and ask them to pay for everyone to get double rewards, they could also make all games rake free. They are running a business though which employs lots of people dealing with all kinds of things and I think they would argue they are entitled to make a profit...in fact they are legally obliged to attempt to make a profit for their shareholders. 

The estimate I heard today was that modelling that has been done estimates the changes to the rewards system will cost around 10% more than the system cost Sky Poker two weeks ago.

When you sit down at a poker table three people can make money...you...your opponents...the site or casino running the game.

One of these three has just given 10% more than they were before of what they are making back to the other two and we have a 20 page thread where 75% of the people appear to think that is a terrible idea.

The world is a strange place.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : I have to go to work, thank you for responding so quickly... I play at Sky Poker for three main reasons: 1. A UK only player pool (I find this site has very little, if any collusion, and Itrust it more because it is more UK based) 2. You offer DYM games which is what I find the most fun and profitable 3. A generally weak poker level of players (and I know you may respond by saying that that is what this new rewards system is trying to promote, but, 99% of these players that this system will help, will not be present in the games and stakes i play at). Many thanks!
    Posted by Jacquelyn

I sort of thought these might be some of the reasons you would give.

I think they are great advantages. A lot of people love the fact that it's a UK site with a big brand that can be trusted. If you do have a query you sometimes talk to someone who mostly deals with SkyBet, SkyBingo and SkyVegas enquiries but you can ring and talk to a real person and I've found them to be very helpful. I know what it's like to play on some of the networks and there are problems with bots and collusion on a much bigger scale than the small incidents that happened at Sky recently.

I don't really play DYMs and I'm not sure how easy it is to play them elsewhere. I would say that any troubles getting a game today may have had a large connection with the fact it was the hottest day of the year and people spent the morning in the garden.

I often hear people say the standard is weaker on Sky. I do think the fact that it's a large trusted brand...many people have a standing order every month for their TV and internet and that is why they came here first and that means the percentage of recreational players is higher. It isn't possible to use tracking software and the time bank issue discourages massive multi-tabling. All of those things definitely make the games more friendly, people are gambling more and the skilled player should be able to turn that to his advantage.

Sure, it's possible to go elsewhere and I'm sure some on this thread will but my nan always used the expression "cutting of their nose to spite their face" and I think that might be what some people in this thread are doing.

If you do play poker as a job or to supplement your income then rewards are often an important part of your bottom line but the most important part is always going to come from how you do in the games. I think many of the pros that do play here did not come because of the rewards.

• edited June 2015
    Excellent reply and information Neil. No more complaints from me. I don't think any other sites ambassador would have taken the time and trouble to post on this thread. Replys like this are beyond the call of duty IMO. 
  • edited June 2015
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
     Did plan to respond to this as it was well written and thought out but it turns out my only response is a bit boring...

Great post, I agree 100%.
  • edited June 2015
    I have read a lot of these posts and I do agree with a lot of opinions stated. 

Rewards/Bonus's are exactly that, a bonus and shouldnt be a reason to quit a site. Yes some are worse off and some are better off but that is the nature of change.

Most poker players come under 3 catagories ....

Recreational - just loves to play, not too fussed on making money
    Semi-professional - plays to win and hopefully make a few quid 
    Professional - plays full time to win regular money

Professionals will be looking for rakeback primarily as this can be a considerable amount to supplement there income which is solely poker based. Semi-pro's see it as a bonus few quid but dont really rely on it and it tends to fizzle away. Recreational players who play lower stakes dont really see a lot of reward in cash so isnt as relevent. 

The new system I think rewards quite well .... the low stakes recreational players can get into Freerolls and maybe a tourney token, the big players still seem to get to a reasonable rakeback when they are hitting Priority Status, Semi-pro players and higher stakes recreational players, seem to be more in limbo. 

I fit into this last catagory but a reward program would never make me move sites. Most players in the middle ground aspire to get to the big game and play the big players. If I was Sky, I would look at promoting this band of players with free tickets to maybe the Super Roller or UKPC satellites or alike instead a just dishing out a few quid here and there. There is also the benefit of offering a 10% higher value of reward due to the rake of the ticket. Not only will this promote the numbers in the Big Games, it lets this bracket of player "taste" the big time and you never know may make a dream win.

• edited June 2015
    Sorry is this the jacqueline that was disqualified from the heads up promo? Now moaning? Perhaps I have the wrong one and apologies if I do. Gosh I'd be happy Im still playing on the site ifI was disqualified from a promo. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Sigh; this has nothing to do with this thread, but seeing as you brought it up

a) you can't even spell my name correctly when its in front of you (!) and
    b) You are ill informed - yes i was removed from the promo for the soul reason of logging in from abroad (didn't know this wasn't allowed, and the software still loaded up as normal) - hardly a crime.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards :  Had a hectic day and a long thought out post deserves a decent reply. I have read every post on this thread and I read them from the start but given that the system will be better for some people, worse for others and the same for many people in terms of how much they get, and given that people are way more likely to make a post and to be grumpy if they are one of the people who are likely to be worse off under the scheme it did feel like posting to reply would be  waste of time in a lot of cases.  Firstly though as a general point I will say again that everyone who is upset and who feels they are likely to be worse off should remember that part of the purpose of the reward system is to encourage changes in behaviour. Maybe Sky feel they'd like to give a little extra to Mtt players and to really encourage Stt players and possibly they feel that certain cash game players they would prefer to reward less or they'd prefer to encourage to make that leap to the next level. It is possible to change the kind of games we play, to play more tables or to play different hours and if people feel so strongly that they want to get the rewards they were getting before and they need to change their behaviour to do that then they do have that option.  On the airline point though I would argue that poker sites are totally different. There are players who are very good for poker sites and some who are not so good. Generally you could split players into four categories...  Those who deposit regularly a lot of money, who play slowly over many tables and hours, they lose and they start games and are happy to keep games going out of hours.  Players who do all of that but lose slightly too quickly and do less hours.  Players that never really lose so they don't deposit but they put in lots of hours and help start games.  Players that never lose or deposit, who play the minimum get the maximum by "gaming" the rewards scheme and they never start games.  If online poker was starting again tomorrow all sites would start by rewarding the top ones on the list and they wouldn't bother rewarding the fourth category at all. Those people are paying a lot of rake but they do not contribute to the economy, they win lots of money and they cause the site to have to spend huge amounts on attracting new players who they keep destroying really quickly. They win large amounts from playing and do not need rewarding.  I'm not sure which one of those you are closest to but I know that every site when making any changes is looking always to make things slightly better for the top people at the expense of the bottom ones. The more they do that the better the games will be for all and therefore the pros that do stay will make enough extra to get the money they lost back. I think the tokens do a great job of encouraging more money into the poker economy at the lower levels and that money will travel upwards and benefit all.  I agree it does sound like you are going to be worse off under the reward scheme as definitely some people will and you will have to look at what you get out of poker on Sky in terms of winnings/losses in terms of enjoying the games and the community and in terms of rewards and decide what you can get elsewhere, but I would say that I know of one network in Europe where you can easily get 80% rakeback but I know almost no pros that play there as the games are full of bots and semi pro grinders attempting to simply break even and live off the rake. That isn't the kind of poker you get to play at Sky and that's because the extremely smart team that make these decisions really do understand the ecology of the poker site.     
    Posted by NChanning
    Thank you Neil, you talk a lot of sense; i think if Sky had announced this change and explained it like you do then there would be half the number of complaints.

You speak wise words, and I am learning from your experiences in the business with this thread - thank you.

• edited June 2015
    Excellent reply and information Neil. No more complaints from me. I don't think any other sites ambassador would have taken the time and trouble to post on this thread. Replys like this are beyond the call of duty IMO. 
    Posted by spinky6108
    Agreed, huge plus one
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards :  I sort of thought these might be some of the reasons you would give.  I think they are great advantages. A lot of people love the fact that it's a UK site with a big brand that can be trusted. If you do have a query you sometimes talk to someone who mostly deals with SkyBet, SkyBingo and SkyVegas enquiries but you can ring and talk to a real person and I've found them to be very helpful. I know what it's like to play on some of the networks and there are problems with bots and collusion on a much bigger scale than the small incidents that happened at Sky recently.  I don't really play DYMs and I'm not sure how easy it is to play them elsewhere. I would say that any troubles getting a game today may have had a large connection with the fact it was the hottest day of the year and people spent the morning in the garden.  I often hear people say the standard is weaker on Sky. I do think the fact that it's a large trusted brand...many people have a standing order every month for their TV and internet and that is why they came here first and that means the percentage of recreational players is higher. It isn't possible to use tracking software and the time bank issue discourages massive multi-tabling. All of those things definitely make the games more friendly, people are gambling more and the skilled player should be able to turn that to his advantage.  Sure, it's possible to go elsewhere and I'm sure some on this thread will but my nan always used the expression "cutting of their nose to spite their face" and I think that might be what some people in this thread are doing.  If you do play poker as a job or to supplement your income then rewards are often an important part of your bottom line but the most important part is always going to come from how you do in the games. I think many of the pros that do play here did not come because of the rewards.  
    Posted by NChanning
    Ultimately, the changes will not affect an overall profit for myself, I probably should have added that one more of the reasons I play is because I win (!) - not huge amounts, but enough to pay for a holiday over the course of a year. 

It is annoying/upsetting that in theory i will lose side income, and effectively take a pay cut BUT, if the reasons that you give for the changes become fruitful then long term it will mean more players anyway so it should be ok.

Thanks again for explaining.