You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In for a penny

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat
GL Phantom66 will be reading with interest.

Comments

• edited January 2016

Been kicking around in the background for a bit - but getting ready to get going again.

I have decided to embrace the new poker rewards scheme as an inspiration for a challenge.

I will deposit up to £50 on or before the 1st June and see how I get on.

No targets cash wise - just use the weekly rewards and this blog as an incentive to get some volume in and then see where I get to.

From my £50 start I will attempt to stick to a diet of £2.20 6max and £2.25 PLO8 DYMs (spot the difference -sort it out sky)

I will play £1.10/1.15 tourneys as well as I expect I will need them to hit the minimum 50 points as the £2's dont run as often.

I might throw a few micro MTTs in as and when I can, but will definitely be steering clear of cash. 

The £2.20 token if I reach 100 points will be a free buy-in for me - assuming the FRs are at 7pm I am not sure if I will be able to play many but if they are free then even a sneaky phone tourney, half-concentring trying to nod in the right places while Mrs P watches a soap and talks to me about her day, will give me a shout for some extra prizes.

edit:Now it's a £2.30 token and they can be accumulated for use over a 6month period that is a fantastic incentive to keep going with it and bink a big one! 

Apparently Mrs P doesnt want to go the caribbean for her 50th (oddly that is still 29 years away anyway) so the pressure is off and maybe if I do succeed I can use profits to watch some Championship footie next season. (I think she did say something about Mauritius and I hope I didnt nod at the wrong time and give her the impression that was on). 

edit:Changed the thread title to highlight my interest on Spinup tables. As you will note from this OP I wasn't planning to play cash - and when I did (up to p3) I had been losing. As I say on p4, when the site changes in any way you can either join the moaners or try it and see. Like with the rewards I have done just that with spinup cash. Short term results are good and from about p6/7 I start posting more about spinups.

It would be great if a solid reg had a go at diarying their exploits in them but in the meantime I will fill the void with some musings.

edit2:spinups suspended for now.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge:
    GL Phantom66 will be reading with interest.
    Posted by stuarty117
    +1.

Pleased Preston did the business for you.

Your wife has expensive holiday tastes! Guessing a week in Skegness as a compromise wouldn't go down too well? :)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge : +1. Pleased Preston did the business for you. Your wife has expensive holiday tastes! Guessing a week in Skegness as a compromise wouldn't go down too well? :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    My uncle took me to skegness he lived in Nottingham, What a place i loved it but then again i was only 10
  • edited May 2015
    Cheers Hhy and Stuarty.

Coming from Mr Bangkok and Vegas - Expensive tastes? ;-)

We steadily built up our holiday tastes from UK holiday parks/cottages (Dorset, Devon and Somerset never been to Skeg) to French holiday parks to self-catering in Menorca/Greece to eventually getting to the caribbean courtesy of some very hard earned air miles for my wifes 40th errr I mean 20th obviously and then a few all-inclusive Menorca/Majorca holidays and Greece last year.

In the last 3 years we have had a few ups and plenty of downs both health and work wise. The year before last - no holiday and this year it isn't looking likely, so a week in Skegness would be a welcome luxury at the moment (although I would prefer a season ticket).

Mrs P however deserves the best having been through a horrendous time - and if she wants to go to Mauritius then I'll have to find a way to make it happen - however, work is the more likely option than poker to fund it and so I don't want to put the pressure of a high target on this challenge. 

To paraphrase Jonny Vaughan - don't let the poker get in the way of the poker - its about the fun for me. Setting a high profit target put too much pressure on the results for me in my last challenge and I chased when results were going against me. The challenge before I just set out to play 100 games of 2 types with no targets and the results were good.

• edited May 2015
    Used to go to Devon pretty much every year in my yoof. Started to get a bit monotonous, but the current me would love to return again one day, not been for a decade now.

Didn't know at the time, but my Dad wasn't an overly happy flier, so that's why we tended to holiday in the UK, sometimes branching out to France on the ferry.

Because of this, I was very much a late bloomer in the travelling stakes. My first flight wasn't until I was 21, and I was dropped right in at the deep end; 12 hours overnight, Heathrow to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, and then onwards, again overnight after an absurdly long wait in HK airport, to Cairns in Australia's tropical north. That's where my eyes were opened to the world. Since that 6 weeks in Australia all the way back in 2008, I've been pretty fortunate in my travels; I've been back to Australia, and seen many beautiful places like New Zealand, Bali, Malaysia, Cuba, USA.

Catching the travel bug was perfectly timed with Manchester City becoming less cr@p. My first European away day was at Copenhagen in Feb 2009. It was beyond freezing, and it made London look cheap! Think it finished 2-2, pretty sure we conceded a last minute equaliser. Great first trip to see City abroad though. Since then, I've seen the Blues in Dortmund (lost), Poznan (lost), Porto (won), Lisbon (lost), Munich (bloody won!) and Barcelona (lost, though had to settle for a pub off Las Ramblas for that as tickets in the City end were like gold dust). I've also seen City on pre season tours in San Francisco and Hong Kong. Suffice to say, the Champions League draw is my Christmas day!

I'd love to take my Dad on a Euro away day. He goes to Eastlands every week, and has had a season ticket for what must be at least 20 years now. It's tricky for him with work, but I think retirement is on the horizon so hopefully a trip to the continent might be on the cards one day soon. I just know he'd love the whole European away day experience.

Phantom, I apologise, I have completely rambled and none of this has any relevance to anything! But I do hope you get to take your good lady somewhere nice for her 50th/30th birthday :)
  • edited May 2015
    GL Phantom66 I will be reading
  • edited May 2015
    No need to apologise Hhy - great set of countries you have built up already.

My yoouff family hols were almost exclusively UK holiday parks in Devon - we didnt go abroad until I was 17 which was my last family holiday.

I loved Malaysia - been many times with work but sadly never got to do the touristy stuff.

Hope you get your dad to a Euro away day some time soon.
  • edited May 2015
    Cheers Timmy - following you with interest too - I should interact more though!
  • edited May 2015
    Ill be watching, this Rewards debate that Sky had posted has got me intrested in the forums.
  • edited May 2015
    Wishing you good luck Phantom from sunny Exmouth in Devon :)
  • edited May 2015
    Used to go to Devon pretty much every year in my yoof. Started to get a bit monotonous, but the current me would love to return again one day, not been for a decade now. Didn't know at the time, but my Dad wasn't an overly happy flier, so that's why we tended to holiday in the UK, sometimes branching out to France on the ferry. Because of this, I was very much a late bloomer in the travelling stakes. My first flight wasn't until I was 21, and I was dropped right in at the deep end; 12 hours overnight, Heathrow to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, and then onwards, again overnight after an absurdly long wait in HK airport, to Cairns in Australia's tropical north. That's where my eyes were opened to the world. Since that 6 weeks in Australia all the way back in 2008, I've been pretty fortunate in my travels; I've been back to Australia, and seen many beautiful places like New Zealand, Bali, Malaysia, Cuba, USA. Catching the travel bug was perfectly timed with Manchester City becoming less cr@p. My first European away day was at Copenhagen in Feb 2009. It was beyond freezing, and it made London look cheap! Think it finished 2-2, pretty sure we conceded a last minute equaliser. Great first trip to see City abroad though. Since then, I've seen the Blues in Dortmund (lost), Poznan (lost), Porto (won), Lisbon (lost), Munich (bloody won!) and Barcelona (lost, though had to settle for a pub off Las Ramblas for that as tickets in the City end were like gold dust). I've also seen City on pre season tours in San Francisco and Hong Kong. Suffice to say, the Champions League draw is my Christmas day! I'd love to take my Dad on a Euro away day. He goes to Eastlands every week, and has had a season ticket for what must be at least 20 years now. It's tricky for him with work, but I think retirement is on the horizon so hopefully a trip to the continent might be on the cards one day soon. I just know he'd love the whole European away day experience. Phantom, I apologise, I have completely rambled and none of this has any relevance to anything! But I do hope you get to take your good lady somewhere nice for her 50th/30th birthday :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

nice read harry

• edited May 2015
    Good luck from me
  • edited May 2015
    Go go Phantom! Wishing you all the best :) and nice to see you back!
  • edited May 2015
    GL Mister... hope you find a way to take yr lady away somewhere nice :)

• edited May 2015
    Thanks all - nice to see support from some familiar and new names.

Enjoyed plopping tonight - shame I only got to play in the last 2 MTTS. I even luckboxed a FT and had the privilege of playing with Neil Channing for a while in a £2 MTT.

Looking foward to the new challenge and having just avoided going bust tonight I may not even have to post the full £50 to kick it off.

• edited May 2015
    GL with the challenge Phantom, hopefully you can find a decent bink with all the tourni tokens and freerolls to afford something a bit classier than a rainy weekend at a 1* B&B in Skegness!

Run well.
  • edited May 2015
    GL with the challenge Phantom, hopefully you can find a decent bink with all the tourni tokens and freerolls to afford something a bit classier than a rainy weekend at a 1* B&B in Skegness! Run well.
    Posted by shakinaces

Could potentially upgrade to the Butlins 'resort' down there.
  • edited May 2015
    So what better thing to do when you wake up at 630 on a Sunday than create a spreadsheet?

Well ok there a LOT of things better - but that's what I did this morning.

Tracking spreadsheet ready to go.

On a weekly and cumulative basis I will record the following...
    £ Start Bal
    £ End Bal
    £ P/L

Pts Earned
    FR Qual
    FR Played
    Tokens Earned
    £ Cash4Points
    £ Won from FR
    £ Won from Tokens
    I will be keeping a break down of SNG results and MTT results by type for my own records and may post summaries occasionally but the regular updates are intended to show what rewards I am earning and whether I am turning them into cash.

I have decided that the P/L on regular play will be for me and the Profit on any FR entries or token entered comps will be for the Mrs P holiday fund.

I am making this a 6 month challenge to start with. Tokens are valid for 6 months and it happens to be Mrs Ps birthday at the end of November - so it will be interesting to see if we are ready to pop down the travel agents or whether I am booking a B&B in Skegness.
  • edited May 2015
    GL with this phantom
    will be keeping my eye on it.

Regards Alan (your plo8 nightmare)
  • edited June 2015
    And we're off...

Starting balance it turned out was £36.15 as I forgot I had set up a deposit limit so I could only add £25. 

*edit* added another £13.85 so I will record it as a starting balance of £50.

First game under the new challenge was DTD1 - Proud to be part of Team Dagg. Nice idea Jac35 and extremely well supported by the community.

Only played that one though, partly because I missed late reg for DTD2 (only 1 level?) and then because 2 orders came in for Dad's Taxi. 

Was doing OK in DTD1, until about 9:30 when I had to go out - Knowing I was about to leave I started to get busy, which was ul for TenTenTen when I won a flip with AQ v TT. I had built a decent stack then but shortly after the AQs was ul for me but not warez as his AQ hit the flush to give me a dent. 

I switched to phone and played the odd hand while waiting at the station for Son#1 and a bus stop for Son#2 but basically blinded out. By the time I got back in and switched back to the laptop I had c4BB behind and small blind had raised me - decided to ship my J2 and hope for the best Q9 held up so gg gn.

Apologies to anyone on my table between 9:30-10:15 if they were chatting - did spot the PLO8 legend AJ Milton on my table but couldnt chat on the phone.

I will try and actually complete 3 games next week, or at least one week in June, and actually contribute to team Dagg.

Played x2 £2 6max, bust one and won one (VL HU to come back from <1000 chips with a hot streak).

So overall a profit of £1.40 on the night and a total of 4 points earned (*no pts for DTD as there is no entry fee).

edit:*Seems I have 6pts now so I assume you do get pts for DTD?

Will get a run of SNGs going some time soon to accumulate some points. My DTD experience tonight reminded me that playing early evening FRs is going to be difficult but I guess any I do get to play and any resulting profit is a useful bonus.

The chance for a real bink will come from accumulating tourney tokens I guess and in the mean time I need to build some profit from the SNGs.

• edited June 2015
    Quick session last night - ran a bit meh but played meher.

I was in a its late - not much time - reg for anything going mood - impatient with my game and it cost me.

Nice to chat with Stuarty and Ger - GL both in your challenge guys. I need to avoid the £3's while I have this B/R so I guess I wont be joining you too much on the tables for the time being. 

Last game last night was a £1 6max win and snuck in a cheeky £1 6max this morning and won that to recover a little.

Overall -£2.95 on the tables and 18 points earned. 

Probably wont get on again today as I have an evening class - L3 education and training - interesting, like the practical stuff although some of the background learning is a bit dull - law - role - ethics etc. All clearly very important for anyone teaching as a career but I don't "teach" in that sort of envirnment so as well as being dry it's not all directly relevant to me. 

• edited June 2015
    Well the good news is I got some poker in today and managed to hit 50 points, so that at the very least is the freerolls qualified for.

Not so good were the poker results - making them not so "free" at the moment.

I guess I am bit rusty and I am definitely still playing a little impatiently which is never a good thing.

Interesting read on the poker rewards thread. The new scheme has certainly worked its behavioural change magic on me - I decided that instead of whining I would treat it as an opportunity and seek to benefit from it.

Stretching my casual play to hit 100pts/week should be fairly comfortable most weeks - I just need to get my poker head switched on so I am not losing. 

£ Start Bal£50.00
    £ End Bal£35.20
    £ P/L-£14.80

Pts Earned53
  • edited June 2015
    Am reading with interest, the best of luck.
  • edited June 2015
    Am reading with interest, the best of luck.
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    ditto
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks Brrrr and Mumsie.

I guess car crash TV is popular so car crash poker diaries also have their place.

Last night I rounded off with some cash great news for the points with the rewards accelerator but terrible news for the B/R.

On the whole a bad session card wise but I didn't make a few bad plays too. I think I upped my game a little and didn't do anything too stupid when Shaki joined my table but up until then it had been a different story.

My plan was to start with a B/R of £50 - I was £13.85 short of that so I have deposited that this morning and will edit my results to be from that baseline. Doesn't change how much I have lost but it does give me a more playable B/R.

From what I can tell (small sample obviously) the rewards accelerator this week has had the effect of killing midweek traffic and the FR hunters were out in force on the cash tables last night earning their points.

That's a pity for the regulars on the site - we seem to have had quiet tables for most of the week and yet the FRs are going to have large fields.

Next week should be relatively easy to meet the target of 100pts with double points weekend on SNGs.
  • edited June 2015
    nice blog phantom, I look forward to reading it.

I have made my points playing almost exclusively on dym's and try for 20 a day to get into the ukpc freerolls.  made my 100 points now so no my points for me (no point, I wont get to next pay level, so have switched to another site where I am grinding a bonus).

haven't decided what I will use token on, either a dym or save them for mtt.  decisions, decisions!
  • edited June 2015
    nice blog phantom, I look forward to reading it. I have made my points playing almost exclusively on dym's and try for 20 a day to get into the ukpc freerolls.  made my 100 points now so no my points for me (no point, I wont get to next pay level, so have switched to another site where I am grinding a bonus). haven't decided what I will use token on, either a dym or save them for mtt.  decisions, decisions!
    Posted by MrWh1te

Thanks Mt White.

Just hit 101 points after 5/5 in dyms tonight for a bit of a recovery on the B/R.

I agree with you for us low stakes players the rewards system doesn't really give much incentive to go for points beyond 100 as 500 is such a long way away. Maybe next week it will be possible for me to make 500 with the SNG promo,

I have a busy day Sunday so may not get back on - but at least I will have my first token and FRs for next week.

I will definitely be saving the tokens up for now.

GL at the tables.
  • edited June 2015
    Numbers update:
    £ Start Bal£50.00
    £ End Bal£37.14
    £ P/L-£12.86

Pts Earned101
    FR Qual5
    FR Played0
    Tokens Earned2.3
    £ C4P Earned£0.00
    £ Won from FR£0.00
    £ Won from Tokens£0.00
  • edited June 2015

Got a few more games in today.

Earlier on hit a run of bad bubble beats - standard run for DYM play. Later on got a bit luckier - though not as lucky as the SB in this hand...

Bit of missing DYM strategy from the BB here I think. Even though ul their nut low gets counterfeited on river, why risk any chips here with the pf call? Even down the streets why would I be bluffing and they are risking getting quartered.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jorzar05 Small blind   150.00 150.00 605.00
    really?
    Big blind   300.00 450.00 2410.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

BEACHBABY Fold        
    Phantom66 Raise   600.00 1050.00 6285.00
    jorzar05 Fold        
    Really?
    Call   300.00 1350.00 2110.00
    Flop

Really?
    Check        
    Phantom66 Bet   675.00 2025.00 5610.00
    Really?
    Call   675.00 2700.00 1435.00
    Turn

Really?
    Check        
    Phantom66 Bet   1350.00 4050.00 4260.00
    Really?
    Call   1350.00 5400.00 85.00
    River

Really?
    Check        
    Phantom66 Bet   300.00 5700.00 3960.00
    Really?
    All-in   85.00 5785.00 0.00
    Phantom66 Unmatched bet   215.00 5570.00 4175.00
    Really?
    Show
    • K
    • A

Phantom66 Show
    • A

Phantom66 Win high Straight to the 6 2785.00   6960.00
    Phantom66 Win low 5-low 2785.00   9745.00
  • edited June 2015
    Week 1 final scores...
     01/06/2015
    £ Start Bal£50.00
    £ End Bal£32.84
    £ P/L-£17.16

Pts Earned125
    FR Qual5
    FR Played0
    Tokens Earned2.3
    £ C4P Earned£0.00
    £ Won from FR£0.00
    £ Won from Tokens£0.00

Phantom fund-£17.16
    Mrs P fund£0.00

SNG Total-£5.05
    MTT Total-£2.00
    Cash-£10.11
    Defo not playing cash next week - feeling a bit more in the groove for DYMs so hopefully those results will pick up next week.

Bring on the Freerolls!