You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In for a penny

Comments

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (now incorporating "Spin While I'm Winning" a view of life on the new cash spinup tables):
    Unlucky Phantom, the spin ups are insanely swingy, you'll be back in no time :) In the meantime have a great holibob! Where are you off to?
    Posted by mrsduck
    Well luck played some part in my downfall that's for sure, but my own indiscipline certainly accelerated it.

I'll be restricting myself to a few low buyin low volume SNGs before heading to Zante with Mrs P. Sadly not a poker funded trip this time, but maybe next year.

Spinups are still in profit but I'll build a roll and think about controlling the tilt before I start back on them.
  • edited August 2015
    Week 12 final numbers where a whopping £116.18 in the hole.

So pretty much back to starting roll £51.03 to be precise.

It's a good job I have enjoyed the vast majority of my time at the tables.

This week started on some SNGs while still double points and I won 3/4 dyms and came 2nd in a 6max.

Good start.

Feeling positive - so lecture myself on tilt and start a spinup session.

Oh dear - QQ<A9   TT<A2   A6<(Q6 and 86)  66<Q7  JJ<97

wasn't all bad KJ />Q2 and AJ=AJ in the only other all in pre hands
  • edited August 2015
    I have a few bets riding on the footy tonight

My £5 free bet is on Liverpouool to draw/win at evens

I dont know if this is the right thing to do as I am a bit of a mug punter.

But, I have put x5 £1 bets then rely on Arsenal players scoring, Arsenal winning or both teams scoring.

So JUMP IN on Arsenal to win 1-0 from a Liverpool og.
  • edited September 2015
    Wow I had to retrieve this from p8 which I guess shows how busy the forum is these days.

Firstly that bet ^^^^ staked £5 won £5 from the free bet and all the staked bets bricked. Yup I'm a mug punter all right.

To make matters worse I thought about the value there was in the evens win/draw for Liverpool and given the fact that there generally have been a lot of good away results and bookies and punters still favour a home advantage that maybe that was the bet to go for.

Never placed those bets though on the weekend that the hammers hammered Liverpool at Anfield for the first time in my lifetime and Palace did for Chelsea. 

Anyway had a fantastic holiday. First week away minus kids for a very long time (eldest is 21 so around 22 years as I can remember going to Gran Canaria with Mrs P when whe was expecting son no1 courtesy of hoover free flights).

In a word... chilled

Was in Zante. Weather fantastic 32-34 and sunny every day. Hotel was great - full yet pool never crowded so no towel wars required. Could stroll down to breakfast and pick our spot around 10-1030 every day. Marvellous. Couple of days mixed it up and spent on the beach. Read 2 books. For the frist time in a while didnt go all-inclusive and it was great to walk around and try different restaurants. A few mythos were enjoyed so I did my bit for the Greek economy.

• edited September 2015
    Glad you had a good time
  • edited September 2015
    And so to catch up with the poker results...

Week 12 had been pretty awful to say the least.

So Week 13 I had been steadying the ship with a decent run in SNGs when on the last night before the holiday I saw a 50nl spinup table active with players I had good notes on and decided this was opportunity to spin a roll back up quickly.

That didnt go well.

Week 13 ended up with a £32.95 loss.

Week 14 only started for me at the weekend with a now minor balance of £18.08.

It was double points for cash and so while clearly not rolled for it I played 20nl spinups. At one point my site balance was £3, I topped up £25 and carried on playing and fortunately had 5 winning sessions on the bounce.

Saw shaki at one table last night - originally had been on phone so switched to laptop as I thought it would be rude not to chat. Shaki had some bad luck - I had some good, although not perfect. Had built up to around £28 then had AA cracked by a flushing 99 and Kxs and AKs by A7 when by turn I had not only tptk but nf draw and gutshot str8 and royal flush draws and a non flushing 7 hit.

Overall the recovery has started with losses now only £3.87.

Balance tracking is a bit more tricky given the added £25 deposit - so while my actual balance is £68.13 that includes the extra £25 and a £3 sky bet loss. To keep things simple for this thread I will be recording my results and balance graph relative to the original £50 deposit and ignoring the skybet. I will treat any premiership promo bet winnings as "rewards" though.

That's all pretty confusing probably (I am not sure I understand it and I have just spent an hour tracking and fixing this all in the spreadheet).

But I assure you that after 14 weeks I have lost £3.87 and my real balance is £68.13 which I suppose are the most important figures.

I am going to try and be a good BRM boy, which means I shouldnt play spinups yet. I will focus on SNGs, although a spinup attempt or two probably will sneak in there especially during cash points accelerators.

Almost forgot I bust a Punta Cana FR 10th - 8 seats. I do find the timing of the sunday sats difficult. You basically have to give up your entire late afternoon/evening on what should be prime family time. I was doing ok (running well) while on phone but just at peak sunday tea prep time was crunch time. I ended up making a call with K9s on the BB when 8/10 to an UTG big stack raise. Why do you keep checking your phone asks Mrs P just as I am retrieving the roast spuds from the oven and we are dishing up. Just trying to win us a free holiday I replied. I had just under half my stack in the BB and being distracted and on phone I had no idea where places 9 and 10 were at. Anyway turns out I was dominated by KQ and my luck ran out gg gn. 

By the way, remember when I was winning and the poker profits were exceding the rewards wins and I was getting grief for keeping more than I was giving to Mrs P? I caved to peer pressure and added all profits together. Well after weeks 12 and 13 it seems that you have done Mrs P out of some cash. You see I blame you, not me for tilting and blowing out.

Rewards and tokens £86.93
    SNG Total -£47.05
    MTT Total -£29.10
    Cash -£14.65
    Phantom FFF -£3.87
    Bets -£3.00
    Deposits £75.00
    Site B/R £68.13
    The Phantom Family Fun Fund is now -£3.87.Under the previous regime the Mrs P fund would have been a secure £86.93.

So I guess I better keep going for the Punta Cana promo as that seems the best way to save face for all of us.

GL all.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (now incorporating "Spin While I'm Winning" a view of life on the new cash spinup tables):
    Glad you had a good time
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers, just hope I am having a good time 3-5pm on Saturday ;-)
  • edited September 2015

Was good to see you'd had a good spin on that table and got the roll back on track.

Quickly learned that:

You shouldn't play these when you are running bad... although it hurts a lot less to see KK/AA get cracked when it's only for 10bb

Just because there aren't spare seats at 4 decent normal games, you shouldn't try and play 3 normal games and 1 spin-up.  I definitely wasted a few blinds by getting in pots with drawy hands that have no place to be played in spins, purely because I saw your stack and mis-read that I was playing with 100bb+ as well :)

Think game selection is even more key here than normal games. Need to have immense willpower to not sit until/unless you spot people you can rinse. Fair to say I will be one of those being rinsed and will only ever be here because I'm a degenerate gambler more than I am a poker player!

Hope you run well and get the Mrs P fund back to weekend in Skeggy levels soon.

• edited September 2015
    Was good to see you'd had a good spin on that table and got the roll back on track. Quickly learned that: You shouldn't play these when you are running bad... although it hurts a lot less to see KK/AA get cracked when it's only for 10bb Just because there aren't spare seats at 4 decent normal games, you shouldn't try and play 3 normal games and 1 spin-up.  I definitely wasted a few blinds by getting in pots with drawy hands that have no place to be played in spins, purely because I saw your stack and mis-read that I was playing with 100bb+ as well :) Think game selection is even more key here than normal games. Need to have immense willpower to not sit until/unless you spot people you can rinse. Fair to say I will be one of those being rinsed and will only ever be here because I'm a degenerate gambler more than I am a poker player! Hope you run well and get the Mrs P fund back to weekend in Skeggy levels soon.
    Posted by shakinaces

It definitely is not a format to be mixed with anything imo.

I tend to just play short sessions of just these, 1 or 2 tables, when my normal SNGs are not filling or when I don't have much time and may not be able to fit a SNG in. 

10bb definitely no place for drawing hands - trick generally is try and spin up to 30+bb and then you can mix in some "normal poker" if there are other 30+ stacks at the table.

I have quite a good bank of notes now which helps with table selection and it is getting more important as the format is getting established. For anyone dabbling - it is also important to look at stack sizes before deciding to sit. Sitting with 10bb with a couple of big stacks to your left is a huge mistake imo.

RE:Skeg, I havent even got enough for the breakfasts never mind the bed. I will be trying to get into that Punta Cana final if I can do it cheaply. Next attempt hopefully via tonights FRs.

• edited September 2015
    Last night 3/4 PLO8 wins - the loss was a typical 4 handed late level bust that could have gone either way, 2 were comfortable coasts from early stack building and 1 was another typical 4 handed late level shove/fold fest where I managed to keep a stack without risks and got over the line ok. Saw the new PLO8 enthusiast Jac35 at the tables. At least we livened the football up as no soon as we moaned about how dull it was England's new supersub and another generous ref decision gave us 2 goals and rooneys 50th.

Then I hit the spinups and not a great run - Pomfrittes quite rightly challenged my BRM as he took my cash with AAvAJs and AKsvA7. 

I guess from a BR point of view I want to keep above £50 from now on, concentrate on SNGs but still hit the spinups because they are fun (albeit volatile) and it was the only way I managed to build a roll first time around. Important to have that stop loss - both from a session and an overall BR point of view though.
  • edited September 2015
    Unfortunately I wont be filling my boots with double points this weekend :(

Have a family meal, a footy match and much prep to do as youngest off to uni soon and eldest off to Jordan even sooner (proud and worried at the same time as he will be volunteering with a charity for refugees).

Also got some rules to sort out for the HUFA ting - so at least the double points should mean the minimal time I do get to play will get me over the 100pt mark.
  • edited September 2015
    In the end didnt play at the weekend so for the 1st time since this challenge started I didn;t get any C4P or a token. Just the 50 points for the 5 FR. Lost £16 last week so maybe stopping for the weekend actually saved me money.

As stated - very busy weekend - PNE lost (match summary on Jac35s thread).

good meal on Friday - very emotional day sunday seeing eldest son off through airport security. He managed to luckbox an XL seat at the front of economy on a A380 to dubai 1st leg of flight to Amman so that was a good start.

Had a skype call tonight which put us a bit more at ease - no dramas - met the head of charity he will be working with and sorted himself a rented flat he is happy with. It was a major step in my life upping sticks at 22 and moving to Preston from Kent. That was for a good job and the chance to move out of home. Preston to Jordan to do unpaid charity work is a different level. 

Dont really want to get into politics on here - but these "britain first" posts on fb do my head in. People are fleeing a war that has been going on for years, is getting worse and shows no signs of letting up any time soon. Yes more help is needed in bordering countries and I am so proud of my son for stepping up and going out and doing something . Also need to more to support the refugees in Europe and other rich countries in the middle east need to step up too. 

• edited September 2015
    gl to your son
    good on him
    really impressed by Jordan, hope he gets some time to visit places such as Petra

only thing that confuses me is, as far as i remember, Dubai isn't actually on the way to Amman?
  • edited September 2015
    gl to your son good on him really impressed by Jordan, hope he gets some time to visit places such as Petra only thing that confuses me is, as far as i remember, Dubai isn't actually on the way to Amman?
    Posted by GELDY

it certainly isnt!

He is self funding and that was the cheapest option. Involved a 7hr stopover and a 2.75hr flight back in the direction he had just come from.

• edited September 2015
    Had a bit of a rant on the HUFA thread.

Really hope I dont derail that event. I have sent a PM to aussie and hope we can resolve it amicably.

As you can imagine I am very proud of what my son is doing and at the same time, as a parent, I can't help worry about him.

Therefore it was such a relief when these images and words started appearing on the website and we saw him (sam) getting stuck in straight away and read the very kind words being said about him on 15th and 16th September.

If you have time, please take a look and read on to get an understanding of how bad things really are in Iraq, Syria, Palestine, South Sudan etc and why people are fleeing and see that Jordan cannot cope with this massive influx (what country could on its own) and that many families then move on and further risk their lives.

• ommomm
    edited September 2015
    Had a bit of a rant on the HUFA thread. Really hope I dont derail that event. I have sent a PM to aussie and hope we can resolve it amicably. As you can imagine I am very proud of what my son is doing and at the same time, as a parent, I can't help worry about him. Therefore it was such a relief when these images and words started appearing on the website and we saw him (sam) getting stuck in straight away and read the very kind words being said about him on 15th and 16th September. https://www.facebook.com/HumanitarianFamilyAid If you have time, please take a look and read on to get an understanding of how bad things really are in Iraq, Syria, Palestine, South Sudan etc and why people are fleeing and see that Jordan cannot cope with this massive influx (what country could on its own) and that many families then move on and further risk their lives.
    Posted by Phantom66
    heartwarming stuff to hear and read about. Your son is a shining example to youngsters all over the country, good on him for being passionate enough to do something to help others that are in need. Well done you and your wife for bringing up such a caring and thoughtful son. 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (now incorporating "Spin While I'm Winning" a view of life on the new cash spinup tables) : heartwarming stuff to hear and read about. Your son is a shining example to youngsters all over the country, good on him for being passionate enough to do something to help others that are in need. Well done you and your wife for bringing up such a caring and thoughtful son. 
    Posted by omm
    Thanks omm, that means alot. 
  • edited September 2015
    Haven't played much poker this week. HUFA duties, busy work week and skyping my son etc in the evenings.

Up a bit though on the little I have played including a couple of £1s from the Rewards FR.

I have just placed a bet on GB to beat Australia £5 at 4-11. There is an offer on this weekend where you get a £2.50 poker token if you place a £5 bet.

Easy enough to get points racked up to 100 with x2,3,4 points on cash tonight and tomorrow. That could be interesting for the b/r though if I hit the spinups again.

Had a quick go this morning standard stuff really 33<22 (flopped quads) KK<AT (flopped house improved to quads) and managed to win a hand AT>KK (flopped T improved to FH). Oh and rather boringly AK held v AT.

• edited September 2015
    Feeling a bit manly this weekend.

Managed to do a "man job" for the house (if that's sexist blame mrs p because that's what she calls it).

Replaced the broken grill element in our cooker. Saved a heap of money buying the part online and for once in my diy career it was completed without drama, pretty quickly and I didn't need to nip out part way through to buy a new tool. (Insert your own joke here about hyfftys love life)
  • edited September 2015
    I have recently joined the Outlaws. Fun bunch of people many of whom I have interacted with a lot on the forum and tables.

I have previously asked questions of the concept of teams on here although the main reason I never joined one was due to generally not being available to play in team events.

I was reassured that regular appearances are not a condition of entry.

Being a team player though i will try and rep when I can 

Why outlaws. Simple reason. They asked and its nice to feel wanted  Plus as mentioned I have alot of support from and interaction with them already.

I have for a while enjoyed the mature environment of the pl08 dyms. Now I get to enjoy a slightly less mature but fun community on a 3rd party social media site. Already been useful to vent and use words that would get me a forum ban if used here.
  • edited September 2015
    I have recently joined the Outlaws. Fun bunch of people many of whom I have interacted with a lot on the forum and tables. I have previously asked questions of the concept of teams on here although the main reason I never joined one was due to generally not being available to play in team events. I was reassured that regular appearances are not a condition of entry. Being a team player though i will try and rep when I can  Why outlaws. Simple reason. They asked and its nice to feel wanted  Plus as mentioned I have alot of support from and interaction with them already. I have for a while enjoyed the mature environment of the pl08 dyms. Now I get to enjoy a slightly less mature but fun community on a 3rd party social media site. Already been useful to vent and use words that would get me a forum ban if used here.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Not very mature?

Hmmm, you're still on probation remember

I consider us to be a very serious group of young people who love nothing better than discussing poker hands in detail.
  • edited September 2015
    Yeah, what are you on about ;)
    Not full of Harry and Jordz discussing salads, guess the poster comps, and the replace the word game that broke the internet, at all. 

Altho...
    Mature = Daddy Jac
    Less Mature = Tomgoodun (how long untill he is banned from FB again?) ;)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (now incorporating "Spin While I'm Winning" a view of life on the new cash spinup tables) : Not very mature? Hmmm, you're still on probation remember I consider us to be a very serious group of young people who love nothing better than discussing poker hands in detail.
    Posted by Jac35

:-)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (now incorporating "Spin While I'm Winning" a view of life on the new cash spinup tables) : Not very mature? Hmmm, you're still on probation remember I consider us to be a very serious group of young people who love nothing better than discussing poker hands in detail.
    Posted by Jac35

Well I heard that most Outlaws were on probation or just let out on licence occasionally.

Its not all in depth discussions on balanced 4bet shove ranges though.

my phone has never vibrated so much in a day as when those threads were discussing films and song titles.

• edited September 2015
    FOOTY

Wp Brentford - game of 2 halves as they say. Looks like it could be a long season for PNE. We have missed Gallaghers delivery and Garner needs to get the goal scoring monkey off his back which wont be next game as he has already totted up 5 bookings.

A chance of another premiership scalp tonight though, would be great to get through that and land a huge away fixture to get some cash in without going an extended and draining run.

West Ham though - If you had said before the season started that we would lose at home to Bournemouth and Leicester I wouldn't have been surprised, however to do that and be 3rd in the league? Amazing times.

Maidstone seem to have adjusted to promotion better than PNE at the moment currently 6th in the conference south after 2 back to back promotions. If they could get to the conference I might even be able to catch a few of their away games next season.

BET

My bet came in on GB beating Australia. Didn't think there was much value in it but seemed a shoe in. Also got the £2.50 token which went towards a £3.30 PLO8 dym which despite a couple of disconnects I scraped home 3rd in.

Really made a schoolboy error in the Premiership promotion in week 6. I had a low volume week. Made exactly 50 points to get the rewards FR but the timing of the Prem week meant I had only 16 points and so no token + free bet in only the 2nd week that the Saints earned one. Doh!

POKER

Poker wise meh. One bad run in a spinup session made it a losing week again. B/R now down to £45. Back to grinding the small sngs for a while now.

Had some PLO cash too. Started badly made 2 bad river calls - flush under flush against a player I tagged as decent TAG reg and 1 who I hadn't made my mind up yet but it was a low paired board and they had the FH v my str8. Roll saving str8 flush v nut flush got me out of jail in that session.

Had a little go on PLO cash a couple of weeks ago on a TV table with Tikay - looking forward to that when it goes in youtube.
  • edited September 2015
    Seems such a waste that Garner still can't get his head screwed on right. Such a quality player when he stops getting silly bookings and sticks to scoring worldies. Sounds as though he's still the same player that Forest had to offload when we got promoted to the Championship though :/

Good to have you in the Outlaws. We should definitely find an evening where we congregate on the 2p/4p PLO tables again soon.  Shame Sky can't bring back a few 9-seaters to allow slightly more people to join the fun!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to .:
    Seems such a waste that Garner still can't get his head screwed on right. Such a quality player when he stops getting silly bookings and sticks to scoring worldies. Sounds as though he's still the same player that Forest had to offload when we got promoted to the Championship though :/ Good to have you in the Outlaws. We should definitely find an evening where we congregate on the 2p/4p PLO tables again soon.  Shame Sky can't bring back a few 9-seaters to allow slightly more people to join the fun!
    Posted by shakinaces

+1 to this, some of the most fun I've had were the 9 seater 'goad' games.....
  • edited September 2015

@Shaki. Hey be careful don't dis Mr Garner - PNE legend! He does get silly bookings though. I have only seen him live twice this season so far, looks sharp and busy and has carved out some good chances but yet to score and that must be weighing on his mind a bit.

At the moment we have 3 strikers who have proven themselves excellent at L1 level but not championship, so we need at least one of those to make the step up well. The only striker we have who has done it at this level is Beckford and he is facing a long recovery from surgery.

Mr Garner could do with cutting out the theatricals - he does get pulled and pushed a lot but needs to stop going down like a sack of spuds trying to get free kicks/pens. Doesn't work.

@Jimi 9 seat PLO bantz - I look forward to it.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re:.:
    In Response to . : +1 to this, some of the most fun I've had were the 9 seater 'goad' games.....
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Those were the days... Daddy Jac coming, and stropping off after losing a buy in :) Shaky slow rolling trip5 with the nutz and you shoving every hand like you were playing a tourni!

11p anyone?

• edited September 2015
    Didnt play much at all at weekend so missed out on double points.

One short session at dyms i am not rolled for but ran ok so end of week roll was £46.40 and I got my 100 points.

Took alot of sorting to get younger son off to uni even though its only 30 mins up the road.

Empty nester now until elder son back from jordan.