You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In for a penny

Comments

• edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (back to very basics):
    Always enjoy reading phantom, more grumpiness #WD40
    Posted by stuarty117

To lubricate or not to lubricate that is the question. I feel that if it doesn't squeak next time I will just get complaints from people missing this piece of quaintness.

Plus I am also confused on what to lubricate with - Hendo recommended vaseline - can WD40 damage plastic? I could get really high tech and go for silica gel. The pressure of this decision is starting to weigh heavy.

Caught the first hour of the show last night. Enjoyable as always with Ric and Tikay in the chair, however I couldn't help but notice that the guest Spencer Oliver said "absolutely" rather a lot. 

Played a little poker Nov 9 HE this time, not quite as points generating as PLO8, but thanks shaki for the small donation to the Mrs P fund. Have I really become that guy selling hard luck stories to try and get an edge over sympathetic ears? 

• edited October 2015
    Poker wise nursed my B/R up to £16.33.

100 points was made easily this week thanks to the rewards cash accelerator.

Managed to pick up £2 from a Rewards FR and 40 something pence from a £20 turbo FR which help.

I realised that I had been playing badly from a BRM point of view - knowing you can reload and playing like it - bound to just keep going bust. Partly down to the frame of mind, but mainly down to the maths of it - variance will almost certainly pull you up if you play too big for your roll.

I fully intend to keep up my run of 50pts a week to have the rewards FR available.

Intend to stick to low stakes 6max where possible and nurse the roll up carefully.

As for UKOPS, if I can play the roll up I may take a shot at a couple of micros/all-in sats.

The only event I am fully committing to is the PLO8 event - got to support that one - as the only way it will stay or we will have any hope of adding more for a future UKOPS is if it is well supported this time. I will deposit the £11 for that one.

PNE won away 3-0 at Charlton, a lot of my family are Charlton fans so I cannot gloat at their demise, but great to see Paul Gallagher back. It is a worry that all are goals are coming from midfield, Mr Garner is back from his ban so hopefully he can get off the mark and stay on the pitch today - although Brighton away probably not the easiest place to do that.
  • edited October 2015
    Poker wise nursed my B/R up to £16.33. 100 points was made easily this week thanks to the rewards cash accelerator. Managed to pick up £2 from a Rewards FR and 40 something pence from a £20 turbo FR which help. I realised that I had been playing badly from a BRM point of view - knowing you can reload and playing like it - bound to just keep going bust. Partly down to the frame of mind, but mainly down to the maths of it - variance will almost certainly pull you up if you play too big for your roll. I fully intend to keep up my run of 50pts a week to have the rewards FR available. Intend to stick to low stakes 6max where possible and nurse the roll up carefully. As for UKOPS, if I can play the roll up I may take a shot at a couple of micros/all-in sats. The only event I am fully committing to is the PLO8 event - got to support that one - as the only way it will stay or we will have any hope of adding more for a future UKOPS is if it is well supported this time. I will deposit the £11 for that one. PNE won away 3-0 at Charlton, a lot of my family are Charlton fans so I cannot gloat at their demise, but great to see Paul Gallagher back. It is a worry that all are goals are coming from midfield, Mr Garner is back from his ban so hopefully he can get off the mark and stay on the pitch today - although Brighton away probably not the easiest place to do that.
    Posted by Phantom66

When you are playing these spin up cash tables the variance is horrendous, our nine handed goad games are the same.

As you know I play a lot of hi lo DYM's, a little cash and usually a couple of tourneys a night, my usual max buy in is £5 although I will often play £10 games as well.

I have kept my bankroll at least 100 buy ins and this allows for the usual swings without me ever having to think of reloading (touch wood).

When it gets above that I withdraw and it stops me getting ahead of myself, and helps keep my discipline regarding sats etc for bigger buy in events (not something I was always good at - I went on a huge downswing after a FT cash in UKOPS 2014 chasing sats and entering MTT's above my BR)

This may sound a bit defeatist, but I play for fun and I am not interested in trying to quickly move up through the stakes. I am now comfortable at £3 and £5, dabbling in £10 which is going slowly in the right direction.

Its  a cost free hobby which actually brings in some pin money (unfortunately no sexy Rolexs for me, but I did buy a new boiler and repaired my car ;-))

• edited October 2015
    Rolexs are overrated anyway i prefer a casio anyday

Also Jimi talks alot of sense as this is exactly what i do. i play up to 5 quid games and have went bust in 3years but always leave enough in for the odd bad run
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks for the input guys.

You have inspired a mini challenge.

I will play 100 SNGs max BI of £1 (excluding fee) before I play anything else (PLO8 UKOPS excepted).

That should get me a bit of a more playable roll AND force some discipline on game selection.

Hopfeully it will also get the overall challenge back on track. While I can accept paying £25/month for a hobby - It is totally not where I want to be - I want to be not risking my roll and earning a steady bit of extra pocket money. The inspiration for this thread was to do something nice for Mrs P and I am way off track for that.

1st 2 games in, a 60p DYM cash and a £1.10 6max 2nd so in profit so far and pledge unbroken. 98 to go.

PNE very creditable draw at Brighton, AFC Fydle beat Barrow to make the first round of the FA Cup. I got some brownie points by not going to watch the FA cup and instead shopping. Part of which was spent on a £10 for 2 M&S meal deal, I did all the cooking, Duck with Plum Sauce (cooked from scratch) which went down well. Should be ok for some poker volume this week.

Also made a guest appearance on the SkyPoker YouTube video courtesy of Tikay's Omaha guide video. More to come of me in that I suspect - but no spoliers. 

Oh and welcome back Jac - sorry for pinching your grumpy tag while you were away.
  • edited October 2015
    Mollys test results are clear. All benign and all fully removed. Happy day.
  • edited October 2015
    Mollys test results are clear. All benign and all fully removed. Happy day.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Good news
  • edited October 2015
    Well Molly ended up having 4 lumps removed - seems remarkably fine - just got to keep the fingers crossed for the histology report now. Had some good fun on the PLO8 Nov 9 table last night - good banter and good for rewards points but those darn split pots must be very good for rake. Highlight was getting it in 3 way with the nut FH and for a change noone having quads or a low hand.  Seeing as there is a (hopefully temporary) gap in the market for a bit of grumpiness I thought I would wade in with these: 1. Absolutely - what is wrong with Yes - it's a perfectly acceptable word - listen out for this being used all the time when a simple yes would suffice - as if it means something more. Absolutely drives me nuts. 2. Thank you so much - Is thank you not good enough any more? Just take the compliment and get on with it. Thank you so much for reading.
    Posted by Phantom66
    I like totally get what you mean 110%. Super interesting post that was. Very fun indeed.
  • edited October 2015
    Thnanks Jac, hope I don't have to be a substitute grump any time soon.

Mini challenge going ok.

Sticking to the pledge. 2 days in 0 cash and 0 BI above £1.

Making a profit but I think I'll leave the results until I am up to 100.

Hoping to get through them quite quickly as I want to maintain my record of 50 points and qualification for the Rewards FR and if at all possible I'll go for the 100 too. 23 points so far.

• edited October 2015
    Phantom, great news about Molly, Im very happy for you mate.

Ger
  • edited October 2015
    Cheers Ger,

Hopefully you'll be back on a computer by the time I am rolled for £3 PLO8 dyms and we can chat again.

(not when I am multi-tabling though eh Tikay)
  • edited October 2015
    Laptop fixed im back yapping again!

Ger
  • edited October 2015
    Dropping down to 60p and £1.15 PLO8 dyms can take some getting used to.

You get some interesting plays - and sometimes of course that goes against you.

Apart from quad 9s or an unsuited 2 I am struggling to think of a worse hand to repot with?

Hand History #961107732 (10:37 28/10/2015)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Bump101 Small blind   75.00 75.00 1250.00
    soultaker Big blind   150.00 225.00 3370.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    • A

titanium09 Fold        
    Phantom66 Raise   525.00 750.00 1035.00
    xxxxx Raise   1650.00 2400.00 2052.50
    Bump101 Fold        
    soultaker Fold        
    Phantom66 All-in   1035.00 3435.00 0.00
    xxxxx Unmatched bet   90.00 3345.00 2142.50
    Phantom66 Show
    • A
    • Q
    • A

xxxxx Show

Flop

• J

Turn

River

xxxxx
    Win high Three 9s 3345.00   5487.50
      No qualifying low hand        
  • edited October 2015
    Double points SNGs this weekend.

100 pts should be achievable now.
  • edited November 2015
    ^^^ 100 pts probably was achievable but I called it a day at 82 - didnt want to cram in 9 SNGs in the last couple of hours as I had an early start the next day.

SNGs themselves going ok - building the roll up steadily which is the intention, now stands at £35.80 with the added boost from the PLO Rewards FR last night where I cashed for £10. Exit hand was pretty standard, I was getting short and quite a way off the top 10 when the next cash break plus the free seat kicked in. Had to gamble and got in with Ah7h89 on a Kh6h9 flop, opponent had JJ and improved to a set and none of my draws came in. 

For the PLO8 UKOPS tomorrow I will deposit the £11 to play as it is "off-roll" for the mini challenge but I will keep track of that in my overall stats since the thread started.

I have noticed shaki on the forum today so I really should mention the footie. PNE's last 2 home games had 0-0 written all of them with us at home to fellow low scorers Bolton and Notts Forrest. Really sorry to anyone who had the misfortune to sit through the televised bolton game. Last nights wasnt much better apparently but at least it was a win for PNE, our first home league one and our first goal scored in the league by a striker. Reach is looking a good player, although it is a bit worrying that our better performances are coming from unwanted players at other championship clubs. 

Doyle off the mark now so will hopefully kick on - always going to take him some time to get match fit having not featured at Cardiff.

Garner still hasn't got the monkey off his back - felt his old team would be the perfect one to open his account but not to be though still getting decent opportunities.

Plenty of whingers about PNEs last 2 performances on the local paper and radio. Sigh - what do they expect? We were rooted in the bottom three and have just kept 5 clean sheets in a row, won 3-0 away and took a point away at Brighton and won our first league game at home. We are up to 16th and 6 points clear of the relegation zone - I'll take that. 

• edited November 2015
    ^^^ 100 pts probably was achievable but I called it a day at 82 - didnt want to cram in 9 SNGs in the last couple of hours as I had an early start the next day. SNGs themselves going ok - building the roll up steadily which is the intention, now stands at £35.80 with the added boost from the PLO Rewards FR last night where I cashed for £10. Exit hand was pretty standard, I was getting short and quite a way off the top 10 when the next cash break plus the free seat kicked in. Had to gamble and got in with Ah7h89 on a Kh6h9 flop, opponent had JJ and improved to a set and none of my draws came in.  For the PLO8 UKOPS tomorrow I will deposit the £11 to play as it is "off-roll" for the mini challenge but I will keep track of that in my overall stats since the thread started. I have noticed shaki on the forum today so I really should mention the footie. PNE's last 2 home games had 0-0 written all of them with us at home to fellow low scorers Bolton and Notts Forrest. Really sorry to anyone who had the misfortune to sit through the televised bolton game. Last nights wasnt much better apparently but at least it was a win for PNE, our first home league one and our first goal scored in the league by a striker. Reach is looking a good player, although it is a bit worrying that our better performances are coming from unwanted players at other championship clubs.  Doyle off the mark now so will hopefully kick on - always going to take him some time to get match fit having not featured at Cardiff. Garner still hasn't got the monkey off his back - felt his old team would be the perfect one to open his account but not to be though still getting decent opportunities. Plenty of whingers about PNEs last 2 performances on the local paper and radio. Sigh - what do they expect? We were rooted in the bottom three and have just kept 5 clean sheets in a row, won 3-0 away and took a point away at Brighton and won our first league game at home. We are up to 16th and 6 points clear of the relegation zone - I'll take that. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    Ha yeah I was expecting some grief from fellow Outlaws this week. Will have to defriend Jac and leave the group for a bit before Friday, it is likely to be painful.

Playing the two weakest attacks back-to-back was never going to fun for PNE faithful to watch. Also surprised Garner didn't score, I had a cheeky bet on him to pop one in anytime, probably what jinxed him.

Is pretty grim how negative footy fans are these days, with unrealistic expectations of success. First season after promotion and on a (relatively) tight budget you'd think PNE fans would be reasonably happy. Similar story with our lot, we're a bit below where we should be, but when our budget means our recent signings can only stretch to a Brighton reject striker with 3 goals in as many years and a midfielder that can't get in an even worse Bolton side, its optimistic to think we can play champagne football and top the league.

Never convinced Freedman was the right appointment, but would be nice to stick with one manager for a full season at least. Alas I doubt he'll last past Friday's likely thrashing and an equally uninspiring replacement will be appointed. Only plus point is Sky moving the game forward a day (which is ridic and certain to lead to carnage in Nottm lol, dunno how the police OK'd it) so now I can get that misery out the way the day before my birthday :)

Apologies for side-tracking your thread. WP on the SNG run and GL in the UKOPS PLO!
  • edited November 2015
    Hi Phantom

Would you not consider ading a couple of 30p turbos every now and again to make sure you hit the 100 pts. Especially double point weekends as get 2 pts a game. You could easily win over 60%.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to .:
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (back to very basics) : Ha yeah I was expecting some grief from fellow Outlaws this week. Will have to defriend Jac and leave the group for a bit before Friday, it is likely to be painful. Playing the two weakest attacks back-to-back was never going to fun for PNE faithful to watch. Also surprised Garner didn't score, I had a cheeky bet on him to pop one in anytime, probably what jinxed him. Is pretty grim how negative footy fans are these days, with unrealistic expectations of success. First season after promotion and on a (relatively) tight budget you'd think PNE fans would be reasonably happy. Similar story with our lot, we're a bit below where we should be, but when our budget means our recent signings can only stretch to a Brighton reject striker with 3 goals in as many years and a midfielder that can't get in an even worse Bolton side, its optimistic to think we can play champagne football and top the league. Never convinced Freedman was the right appointment, but would be nice to stick with one manager for a full season at least. Alas I doubt he'll last past Friday's likely thrashing and an equally uninspiring replacement will be appointed. Only plus point is Sky moving the game forward a day (which is ridic and certain to lead to carnage in Nottm lol, dunno how the police OK'd it) so now I can get that misery out the way the day before my birthday :) Apologies for side-tracking your thread. WP on the SNG run and GL in the UKOPS PLO!
    Posted by shakinaces

No apologies needed - hardly a side track I started the footy bantz.

PNE played Blackpool on a Friday night a few years back - that was for sky cameras and not very clever - it was only a week or two before christmas too so town was packed and much trouble ensued.

• edited November 2015
    Hi Phantom Would you not consider ading a couple of 30p turbos every now and again to make sure you hit the 100 pts. Especially double point weekends as get 2 pts a game. You could easily win over 60%.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I just didnt have as much time as I had hoped on the double points weekend.

I would never play 30p dym turbos though. (ok I probably have done before someone scopes me)

But...

1. I have a bad record at HE dyms
    2. I have a terrible record at turbo dyms
    3. 20% rake

I did squeeze a few SNGs in on monday morning so off to a good start for the points. 

I am happy with 50/week - and will take 100 when I can get it at these stakes. 100 was pretty easy when playing 3.30 plo8 and 1/2 6max's and some cash.

Another £4 in a rewards FR tonight.

PLO8 UKOPS tomorrow - can't wait!
  • edited November 2015
    Glad the PLO8 UKOPS smashed the guarantee with 132 runners.

never really got going myself - busted 29th when getting short and let in a multi-way pot from BB. Flop checked round to everyone and the turn gives me 2 pair and the 2nd nut flush draw and I shove - called by one player with the nut flush draw and the heart hits. gn gg.

I see mr ambo bubbled, eon got a cash - mkgunner got more than his bayern back too. 

Better make PLO8 a permanent fixture in UKOPS now please.
  • edited November 2015
    Glad the PLO8 UKOPS smashed the guarantee with 132 runners. never really got going myself - busted 29th when getting short and let in a multi-way pot from BB. Flop checked round to everyone and the turn gives me 2 pair and the 2nd nut flush draw and I shove - called by one player with the nut flush draw and the heart hits. gn gg. I see mr ambo bubbled, eon got a cash - mkgunner got more than his bayern back too.  Better make PLO8 a permanent fixture in UKOPS now please.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Too good.
  • edited November 2015
    50 pts squeezed in last week - missed the FR tonight though.

Tried to reg dtd3 but missed it (honest) no really was no late reg and just missed out.

couple of SNGs bombed but then hit some binkage. OK so its not UKOPS or owt but a bink is bink right even if it is a £1 PLO MTT...

Phantom66360001£9
    PEACEPAW02£5.40
    paul195203£3.60
    dmc2304

Maidstone out the cup #sigh. PNE another good away point at QPR and another clean sheet. Next home game is Blackburn - intend to be on for that one.

B/R nudged over £30 now (I didnt load the £11 for the PLO8 UKOPs in the end - used my Rewards FR binks).

Getting excited for the Round 3 draw in the proper (HUFA) cup now tomorrow (hopefully).

• edited November 2015
    Forgot to say VWP Tashal for taking down DTD2 last night.

Fun rail rewarded with some binkage for Tash.

PS Breaking News....

Pictures emerge of H enjoying the view from his balcony.

• edited November 2015
    Bump for the 1 or 2 readers who were waiting for the visual gag above.

PS Thanks to the way google et al monitor everything these days I am now being spammed by balcony system adverts. Better give it a rest with the Harry abuse before I start getting spam about city.
  • edited November 2015
    The B/R inching up slowly.

Made some adjustments to my DYM game which seem to be paying off - although I am bricking 6max's now. Short term variance probably to blame for both but I do feel more solid in the dyms than I have for a while.

Just had my most exciting and most boring PL08 dym ever.

Exciting because I was all-in 3 way preflop at level 1. I scooped so that was very exciting. Boring because there was an away player who never showed up so it was a case of sitting waiting for them to be blinded out.

The hand...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jimjan Small blind   15.00 15.00 1870.00
    winshoes Big blind   30.00 45.00 1890.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

allinA
    Call   30.00 75.00 2160.00
    Phantom66 Raise   135.00 210.00 1895.00
    Madmick78 Fold        
    AllinB
    Raise   480.00 690.00 1525.00
    jimjan Fold        
    winshoes Fold        
    AllinA
    Call   450.00 1140.00 1710.00
    Phantom66 Raise   1830.00 2970.00 65.00
    AllinB
    Call   1485.00 4455.00 40.00
    AllinA
    All-in   1710.00 6165.00 0.00
    Phantom66 All-in   65.00 6230.00 0.00
    AllinB
    All-in   40.00 6270.00 0.00
    AllinA
    Unmatched bet   160.00 6110.00 160.00
    AllinA
    Show
    • K

Phantom66 Show
    • A
    • A

AllinB
    Show
    • Q
    • Q
    • J

Flop

• A

Turn

• Q

River

Phantom66 Win high Three Aces 6110.00   6110.00
      No qualifying low hand        
  • edited November 2015

Crikey, there was a degree of optimism there.......

For the record, you were 40% to win the High, 32% to win the Low, & 29% to scoop. Overall equity = 45%. (The %'s are a bit befuddled due to chops & ties).

K-5-4-4 man was 27% for the High, 19% for the Low, & 13% to sciop. Overall equity 28%.

Q-Q-J-3 man was 33% for the High, Zero for the Low, & 20% for the scoop. Overall equity 27%.

As a general rule, I try to avoid these spots, as, if I tiptoe around & preserve my stack, I'd generally fancy my chances to win without the need to risk all early.

Having said that, if we can get all our money in every DYM as 45% favourite, I suppose we ought to. Bear in mind of course, we are overall favourite to win, but if we go in at 45%, we are facing combined odds of 55%.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, is it? 

• edited November 2015
    Thanks Tikay, as I said on your thread I dont see how it can be +EV to go all-in 3 way preflop L1 of a PLO8 dym. 

I felt the 2 and suited 9 to go with my AA meant I had to raise the open limper and then I had to repot the reraise (fully expecting to be HU v my reraiser and losing AllinA).

Shocked that there were no other aces out there but obviously glad to find one and improve.

I have had to revise my notes on the AllinA player, I thought they were solid. 

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (back to very basics) and thanks sky for the UKOPS PL08 event more please next time:
    Thanks Tikay, as I said on your thread I dont see how it can be +EV to go all-in 3 way preflop L1 of a PLO8 dym.  I felt the 2 and suited 9 to go with my AA meant I had to raise the open limper and then I had to repot the reraise (fully expecting to be HU v my reraiser and losing AllinA). Shocked that there were no other aces out there but obviously glad to find one and improve. I have had to revise my notes on the AllinA player, I thought they were solid. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    When we reach shove mode, with 4 left & big blinds, our ranges widen considerably, but in Level one, I can never, in a million years, imagine ever getting it all-in pre-flop without a pair of Aces - & good aces - in my hand.

I almost never play ANY hand that does not contain any ace, anyway, but I'm Lord Nit I suppose.

• edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (back to very basics) and thanks sky for the UKOPS PL08 event more please next time:
    In Response to Re: New Rewards - New Challenge (back to very basics) and thanks sky for the UKOPS PL08 event more please next time : When we reach shove mode, with 4 left & big blinds, our ranges widen considerably, but in Level one, I can never, in a million years, imagine ever getting it all-in pre-flop without a pair of Aces - & good aces - in my hand. I almost never play ANY hand that does not contain any ace, anyway, but I'm Lord Nit I suppose.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Had my first ever all in on the 1st hand last night.
    Mind you i was holding AAK2 ds (and it held)
    Made an error late on , doubling Tikay up,but held on for the cash.
  • edited November 2015
    B/R nudged over £40 now. Weekly points are 30 so some work to do over the weekend to try and get the 50 in.

Really been so busy this past couple of weeks, having taken a huge risk and started my business 3 years ago I cannot complain about that. Also had an exciting offer to take a stake in another business.

Finances have been low while battling to make a success of it, hopefully turning the corner now and a good 2016 in prospect and I will be able to find a way to treat Mrs P without binking on the poker tables.

PNE v Blackburn tomorrow - a lancashire hotpot - although not as spicey as a PNE v Blackpool or Blackburn v Burnley game.

I'll give you a wave Paul Lambert. Hope Alan Irvine gets a warm welcome, didnt do much wrong imo unlike some of the chumps that succeeded him.