You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In for a penny

Comments

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny:
    Didn't get around to the weekly roll update on Monday as I was busy with HUFA prep. Glad it went well.  I started this week on £109 with a £2.30 token due and took a quick dip below £100 starting with a car crash spinup session to get the 5 a day mobile. Recovered and sitting above that now albeit largely though down to some good fortune on a promo on another part of the site. I made some tweaks to my PLO8 game, which initially made results worse, couple of times I played against my planned adjustments and lost big pots which was a bit annoying. Results settling down. Although I am not doing great in my 1000 challenge, I have at least turned a profit at the 3.30 level since this penny challenge started. I still haven't had the bottle to go for a £16.50 dym as part of the spinup challenge. Everytime I look in the lobby there just seems to 1 of the very top players regged, or when I do see names I don't recognise by the time I have checked some stats the table has filled. Not played so much this week. Haven't even got my 5 a day in every day, should make 5 if I play tomorrow and with rewards accelerators on tomorrow evening the incentive is there to play some cash and get up to 100 points for the week. Will try and play the £5k tonight although I may end up as one of those away scroungers. Thursday we had a "date day" rare day off for both Mrs P and I. Took a drive over to Yorkshire, Ilkely in fact, I even went on the moor without a hat up by the cow and calf (not sam and her daughter,  the rocks).  Lovely spot of lunch at Betty's tearoom - Eggs Benedict followed by a mocha torte. Sin confession there as I had forgotten I was supposed to be giving up chocolate for lent, perhaps I can negotiate down to just chocolate bars? Or just self-flagulate? Had to do some shopping but the at least Mrs P liked that, rest of the day including a walk by the river was spot on.
    Posted by Phantom66
    <3 , cow and calf genius lol.
  • edited February 2016
    Monday morning bankroll is now £140.25 with a £2.30 token to come.

Nice bonus £10 from the 5 a day Freeroll over the weekend.

Bit of a dint in rewards accelerator, bad start in a spinup so stood, had recovered with some PLO but then lost a big pot having flopped the nut flush with an overpair. All-in versus a set that housed up.

Should be easy qualification this week on the 5 a day as on home territory with SNGs and also looking forward to Turbo Tuesday.

Good away win for PNE v Wolves.

• edited February 2016
    Monday morning update.

B/R now £176.11 with a £2.30 token to come.

Also got a full 5 a day in so will be on 10k next saturday. This week had 5k and only 3 away players and a 10k stack to my left.

When table started to break and new stacked player arrived I went for a double up and lost a flip JJ v AK.

Played the Turbo Tuesday courtesy of Tikay. Started off in boomswitch mode, good starting hands and a few smashed flops meant I moved up from 4k to over 10k quickly and was 4th. Then another 10k stack got moved to my left so bullying opportunities were limited, to be fair they probably wouldnt have worked - getting a hand and value betting was working well, it wasn't a table to bluff on. Maintained stack for a good while until blinds kicked up and lost my 2nd of 2 all-ins TT v A9 to bust about 90th still about 45 off the money but had a good run.

Most of the boost and the points needed last night to hit 100 were from a single PLO hand. Not big and not clever playing PLO 20nl with this roll. In my defence(?) I couldn't get on a spinup table and was on my phone so wanted the means to earn points single tabling.

Would have been a very different story had I not won the pot. When the last of the chips went in on the turn I was actually ahead with 2 pair. However both of my flush draws were bettered and I didn't have a straight draw either so plenty of cards to dodge. I got lucky and hit the FH for a +£50 poit.

Great win for PNE beating Sheff Wed 1-0 and up to 10th. I won't mention the P word though, in fact I wont even mention the S word because we still need a few more points for that.

As some of you may know I am a bit of a three team tart, although I "support" PNE as my main team and the one I go and watch albeit less than I used to. West Ham are another and they battered Blackburn. The last time I saw West Ham play Blackburn, we were battered 4-2 and we only got the 2 after being 4-0 down and Hendry going off injured. Shearer was different gravy, 2 half chances dispatched either side of half time and it was gg.

My youngest son offered me his season ticket for Tuesday v Charlton, much as I would like the chance to see free Fanni, I think my days of getting away with a "young adult" ticket are a little behind me so my nephew is going instead.

Eldest had his 22nd birthday and he is still in Jordan. Not easy knowing we wont see him until May. He is applying for Masters degrees and has been accepted by York. I'll have to warn him about the locals if he decides to go there.

I have a busy work week ahead so will probably be a light poker week. Will try and get the 5 a day in and may take a punt at the £22 level of the dym challenge while most of the regs are in Nottingham next weekend.

• edited March 2016
    2 weeks have passed.

A very eventful week and a very non-eventful week.

It is actually the first week since the new rewards scheme started that I have not qualified for the Rewards FRs, barely played last week.

The week before was a spectacular car crash. lost a lot and withdrew some.

B/R now  £10.93

Workload generally very high so will be keeping it small ball for fun and light relief for the next few weeks.

Will try when I can to crawl up the PLO8 table.
  • edited April 2016
    You know you are completely off the radar when you can't even get a bump from Jac35.

Sorry to upset some of the community by getting another diary back on page 1 of poker chat.

So for some balance, I am going to upset another section by posting some results.

At least putting results in will derail "the move it the rail" posters.

Since the In 4 a penny rebrand I have played the following SNGs (approximately anyway). 

Combined scores entries buy-in rake winnings profit ROI p/g
    NL dym 90 £179.50 £21.05 £243.50 £42.95 21.4% £0.48
    NL 6max 33 £24.50 £2.45 £22.20 -£4.75 -17.6% -£0.14
    PLO8 dym 88 £260.00 £26.55 £246.00 -£40.55 -14.2% -£0.46

• edited April 2016
    If the above hasn't offended enough people, how about a hand history?

I quite enjoyed this hand.

Lesson 4 limpers alert...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ANGIE_GG Small blind   15.00 15.00 1000.00
    Phantom66 Big blind   30.00 45.00 970.00
      Your hole cards

Curt360x27 Fold        
    Mariusz80 Fold        
    Wiggly1 Fold        
    xxxxx
    Call   30.00 75.00 970.00
    ANGIE_GG Fold        
    Phantom66 Check        
    Flop

• Q

Phantom66 Check        
    xxxxx
    Bet   60.00 135.00 910.00
    Phantom66 Call   60.00 195.00 910.00
    Turn

Phantom66 Check        
    xxxxx
    Bet   90.00 285.00 820.00
    Phantom66 Call   90.00 375.00 820.00
    River

Phantom66 Bet   300.00 675.00 520.00
    xxxxx
    All-in   820.00 1495.00 0.00
    Phantom66 All-in   520.00 2015.00 0.00
    Phantom66 Show

xxxxx
    Show
    • A
    • K

Phantom66 Win Straight Flush to the 6 2015.00   2015.00
  • edited April 2016
    Still not playing much.

Very busy at work which means I have only snuck in the odd dym.

PLO8 running bad which induced some playing bad. I tried to mix it up a bit and that didn't work.

Got into one game, usual story 4 players know what they are doing and the blinds are getting big. Can't post the hand as it was too long ago, but Tikay described it as an "epic call" which I think meant bad.

The champ was short and shoved UTG about 3 BB's I think blinds 300/600.

Folds to me in BB. I have tripe something like 288Q with one suited combo.

I have about 7BBs and I call. I figure pot odds and ICM wise it actually might be the right thing to do. Given champs shoving range is pretty wide here ahead of the BB next hand. Might not have anything, hardly likely to be crushing me with AA23ds. Might not have a higher pair, could have a high only or low only hand etc.

Anyway cards shown and I am in much better shape than I could have wished for.

A555

I am actually ahead, and stay ahead until the case 5 on the river. It's not how you start it's how you finish and the champ is a great finisher.

• edited April 2016

Catching up on real life.

PNE are safe and as soon as the playoffs were out of reach took their foot off the gas.

I'll take that. Went on with my youngest to the MK Dons match last week. The first is what I had hoped for, a confident side outplaying a side struggling near the foot of the table. The 2nd half was what I had feared, a team with something to play for fighting hard against a team with nothing to play for. Balanced out to a 1-1 draw albeit we should have won but for a fine piece of goalkeeping from an outfield player donning the gloves and saving a penalty.

I believe there was a game last night. Losing to your rivals is bad enough. Losing and seeing them go top hurts. Their goal being scored by the pantomime villain sucks.

I think there are 2 things I could give Jac35 a run for his money on. Accepting he is the better man at Poker, moaning and golf, I reckon I can run him close on table tennis and bad teeth.

Had bad toothache, which eased a little when some filling fell out. Turns out the filling fell out because my tooth had split in 2. Ouch. Another extraction then, and a couple more fillings from when bits of old filling/tooth had fallen off other teeth since the last visit.

Plan for date nights not going so well. Determined to go and see Eye in the Sky next week. Was planning to go this week but tiredness put paid to that with the film starting at 845 on a school night.

At least we have booked a holiday. Will be away while the referendum is on. Brilliant. Only hope I don't get confused in customs on the way back with the EU channel. I picked up the cheapest flights I could find to a Greek island and planned the holiday around that - had a moment of worry thinking they might have been cheap due to an England game being on the same night - seems I am safe there. Run good at last.

Going to Gouves on Crete - Quieter resort looks pretty with a selection of bars/restaurants. Apartment complex is small, family run, nice garden and a pool. Chillax time. Might even have another book recommendation for Dohh when I get back.

It will be a milestone birthday for me in November so really hoping that Punta Cana will return - If it does I will be all over it, donating chips to others to help them in their bid to get there.

• edited April 2016
    I think you need to go on holiday less.
  • edited April 2016
    Still not playing much. Very busy at work which means I have only snuck in the odd dym. PLO8 running bad which induced some playing bad. I tried to mix it up a bit and that didn't work. Got into one game, usual story 4 players know what they are doing and the blinds are getting big. Can't post the hand as it was too long ago, but Tikay described it as an "epic call" which I think meant bad. The champ was short and shoved UTG about 3 BB's I think blinds 300/600. Folds to me in BB. I have tripe something like 288Q with one suited combo. I have about 7BBs and I call. I figure pot odds and ICM wise it actually might be the right thing to do. Given champs shoving range is pretty wide here ahead of the BB next hand. Might not have anything, hardly likely to be crushing me with AA23ds. Might not have a higher pair, could have a high only or low only hand etc. Anyway cards shown and I am in much better shape than I could have wished for. A555 I am actually ahead, and stay ahead until the case 5 on the river. It's not how you start it's how you finish and the champ is a great finisher.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Insta fold, next.....(cough cough)
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny : Insta fold, next.....(cough cough)
    Posted by ajmilton
    Yes it probably should be. Shame I cant remember precise stack sizes, I was ahead of the average but by no way locked in, Hard to be at 300/600.

I was lucky to be so far ahead in that instance and I had enough to survive a couple of orbits before needing to shove air myself.

Talk myself into some strange things when the standard plays have been running bad in these situations. I just need to learn Macacgirls knack of calling with spanners or does that only work v Tikay?
  • edited April 2016
    No other messages worthy of a response then #sigh 
  • edited April 2016

Thank you sky.

Back in profit for the challenge.

For the SNG part courtesy of P1 W1 PLO8 £11 DYM puts me up to the incredible ROI of 1.5% whoop. Got short - got lucky with a str8 flush and scooped with a low too when needed to then found Aces with 55 one suited v a Tikay pot committing raise and scooped to safety.

Generally up more than that thanks to some tokens that funded most of the above entry and a score of a score in the £2.25 half time tournament.

• edited April 2016
    Thinking about where I was on 15 April 1989 and football yesterday reminded me to mention something.

In one of my recent rare appearances on the PLO8 tables, someone pops up in chat and starts talking to Tikay.

It was Barney, aka FCHD. I, like many of you will be, was aware of him through his excellent updates on the forum during the WSOP.  I was not aware until observing the chat that FCHD also runs a football website. The initials stand for Football Club History Database.

I won't post a link just in case, but type the phrase and or the initials into a search engine and you should find it pretty easily.

What a fantastice resource, got me looking up memorable games and tables from years gone by and cue some chat about the demise and resurrection of Maidstone United. Back in 1989 they made it into the Football League, didn't last too long though unfortunately but that's another story.

Currently heading for the Conference South play-offs. Hope they make it to the conference and I'll bag myself a few away days in my now northern homeland next season. 

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny : Yes it probably should be. Shame I cant remember precise stack sizes, I was ahead of the average but by no way locked in, Hard to be at 300/600. I was lucky to be so far ahead in that instance and I had enough to survive a couple of orbits before needing to shove air myself. Talk myself into some strange things when the standard plays have been running bad in these situations. I just need to learn Macacgirls knack of calling with spanners or does that only work v Tikay?
    Posted by Phantom66
    You'll have to wait till the winter to try that out on macca.
    I wouldn't be to confidant to try it out on Tikay if i were you,
    (trust me my br v tk is proof positive)

It's quite easy to put tk on a range, if he re raises you,
    he has it you must fold. or if you do call reassess on the flop.
    btw Tikay's range is AA23...that's it! gl
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny : You'll have to wait till the winter to try that out on macca. I wouldn't be to confidant to try it out on Tikay if i were you, (trust me my br v tk is proof positive) It's quite easy to put tk on a range, if he re raises you, he has it you must fold. or if you do call reassess on the flop. btw Tikay's range is AA23...that's it! gl
    Posted by ajmilton

At Level 7/8 it has been known for Tikay to widen his range, even seen him open with spanners like AKK3 or AQ23. 

I suspect for most of us who play at £3+ Tikay will be our most common opponent and we have a pretty good idea of his ranges over anyone else. He does take advantage of his image sometimes, but only when he needs to.

• edited April 2016
    Thinking about where I was on 15 April 1989 and football yesterday reminded me to mention something. In one of my recent rare appearances on the PLO8 tables, someone pops up in chat and starts talking to Tikay. It was Barney, aka FCHD. I, like many of you will be, was aware of him through his excellent updates on the forum during the WSOP.  I was not aware until observing the chat that FCHD also runs a football website. The initials stand for Football Club History Database. I won't post a link just in case, but type the phrase and or the initials into a search engine and you should find it pretty easily. What a fantastice resource, got me looking up memorable games and tables from years gone by and cue some chat about the demise and resurrection of Maidstone United. Back in 1989 they made it into the Football League, didn't last too long though unfortunately but that's another story. Currently heading for the Conference South play-offs. Hope they make it to the conference and I'll bag myself a few away days in my now northern homeland next season. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    Posted by Tikay 
  • edited April 2016
    aha thanks mick.

football link in football corner well I never.

At the risk of being voted off the poker chat section, I'll repost here then...

• edited May 2016
    Played a whole SNG over the holiday weekend.

Won a 6 max £1 SNG. Wish there was more liquidity on those as I love them. I am sure more than one ran over the weekend though, liquidity is not that bad.

Actually managed not 1 but 2 date nights. Went to see Eye in the Sky with Mrs P. Pretty good watch, hard not to discuss without spoliers but we enjoyed it.

Last night we went to see Sarah Millican at Blackpool. Lovely pre-event meail in an Italian Restaurant. Food was great, service was mixed but not too slow. One waitress just seemed to be going through the motions in direct contrast to the congenial proprietor. 

Enjoyed the show, a pigeon on-stage added some unplanned improv and entertainment. 

Will try and get some double points in today and qualify for a mayhem freeroll.
  • edited May 2016
    Got some serious (for me, lately) volume in for once on Tuesday.

P8 W6 DYMs.

Double points on SNGs and the mayhem freeroll couldn't be missed.

Played one reg infested plo8 dym in the afternoon and the cards were with me and with Tikay being on TV duty and not so many games running I used the NL dyms to get the points needed to enter the Mayhem FR.

It was quite a night for freerolls, I didnt qualify for the rewards FRs this week, but still had the roller FR, mayhem FR and half-time FR to go at. 

Was playing on my phone and found the play in the mayhem rather odd. Early doors nothing much happened for me. When I got my chips in as the blinds moved up I was twice up against an identical hand for a split pot. I needed to get busy and found my shoves were getting through which with the steepness of the blinds was keeping me in the tourney but I was drifting down to the bottom of the leaderboard and had only managed to take one head.

Eventually on the BB with A7 I called a UTG shove and lost to AK.

I was surprised to see that despite busting 26th I didn't get any cash. When I managed to get the lobby up I realised why, I was playing in the roller FR. Explained a lot about others play, they must have thought I was a little odd, especially one hand where I shoved Q4s to try and secure the head of the BB who was in for a fraction of the BB. 

Was then on skype to my son and missed the start of the actual mayhem FR, then when finished I realised that I hadn't even registered for it. When I had the requisite points reg wasn't open and I forgot to enter later.

Bricked the H-T FR but at least I can't blame anyone but the RNG for that one.

#sighFRvaluefail

• edited May 2016
    Got online too late for the Freerolls tonight.

Just had a quick P3 W3 NL DYMs

Brings the total up to them to 100 so time for some results...

Combined scores entries buy-in rake winnings profit ROI p/g
    NL dym 100 £202.50 £23.65 £281.50 £55.35 24.5% £0.55
    NL 6max 34 £25.50 £2.55 £26.10 -£1.95 -7.0% -£0.06
    PLO8 dym 90 £273.00 £27.85 £272.00 -£28.85 -9.6% -£0.32
    Overall there are 6 games to add to that (3 PLO8 hu and 3 PLO dyms). 

nl dym resuts are skewed by the double up challenge as I have won up to £16.50 and I am sticking there for the time being.

TOTAL 230 £505.50 £54.50 £585.60 £25.60 4.6% £0.11

• edited May 2016
    P8 W5 dyms but only 2/4 in the £3ers so about even

Finally entered a mayhem FR. Did bad. Got aggro with 99 from the SB in a nulti-way pot, continued on a fairly innocuous TT6 board but had had to give up to resistance from a solid player. They kindly showed the flopped FH. 

Never really got going after that, one lucky double up to prolong the agony.

Have reached the 100 point mark so will get my first rewards token in a while.

Doubt I will play much over the weekend, maybe just a bit of social plopping. The garden looms and it looks like the weather will not save me.

GL to Maidstone and AFC Fylde in the conference south and north playoffs this weekend.

Got £10 riding on a PNE win so that's jinxed them. Should have put it on Derby to win the play-offs instead. At least due to a current promotion I now have £5.50 worth of tokens to ease the loss.

Supersnedd has completed the DYM ladder challenge, which reminded me I have a live run waiting to go for level 8 (£22).

If my bet comes in I might take it on this week.
  • edited May 2016
    Please don't put the bet on Derby
    I've already asked bokker extraordinaire Hendrick to back the other 3 teams
  • edited May 2016
    3/1 for a Derby win with SkyBet? 

Why not, I'm up for taking your tips Phantom, although they always seem to lose when I think you've spotted a good thing?

GL to your other bet, most people are happy to see the dirties get beat :)
  • edited May 2016
    Bokked the bet, won the dym. Quits.

• edited May 2016
    Well at least the Stones won and my £5 bet didn't bok them. GL vs Ebbsfleet, if they go up I will try and get some away days in at the Conference teams in the North. If AFC Fylde go up too then even better because they are just a few miles up the road. 

Seem to be playing mostly dyms at the moment, PLO8 just can't get a run going might post a couple of hands from last night.

NL seem to be running well though. Maybe it's the relative strength at £3 level, but in reality over the longer term I actually lose at both formats, so probably just a bit of short term variance.
  • edited May 2016
    1st of 2 hands from a £5 PLO8 dym.

Terrible starting hand but given the likely range of the s/stack and pot odds one I felt I was right to call?

Hand History #1036741076 (21:30 10/05/2016)

a
    Small blind   100.00 100.00 3520.00
    Phantom66 Big blind   200.00 300.00 2741.25
      Your hole cards
    • Q

b All-in   538.76 838.76 0.00
    c Fold        
    d Fold        
    a Fold        
    Phantom66 Call   338.76 1177.52 2402.49
    Phantom66 Show
    • Q

b Show
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

River

b Win high Flush to the Ace 588.76   588.76
    b Win low 6-low 588.76   1177.52
  • edited May 2016
    Near enough exit hand...

Rare to see a limp at these blinds, felt I had a good shot at folding out both players with a pot bet, but got put all-in.

In this case I probably wouldn't have got away from the hand post flop, but would people favour the check here?

Hand History #1036744200 (21:35 10/05/2016)

a
    Small blind   150.00 150.00 2242.48
    Phantom66 Big blind   300.00 450.00 2002.48
      Your hole cards
    • A

b Call   300.00 750.00 2155.04
    c Fold        
    d Call   300.00 1050.00 1965.01
    a Fold        
    Phantom66 Raise   1050.00 2100.00 952.48
    b Fold        
    c All-in   1965.01 4065.01 0.00
    Phantom66 Call   915.01 4980.02 37.47
    Phantom66 Show
    • A

c Show
    • J
    • Q

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

c Win high Full House, 10s and 5s 4980.02   4980.02
      No qualifying low hand        
  • edited May 2016
    This is a good question.

I am really not sure about this hand Mark, I understand your reasoning, but you have no lo hand so you are potentially playing for only half the pot, and if you come up against a hi only hand you are likely to be dominated.

Its a very common and very frustrating spot.

I think this is really very player dependant, there are certain players I would want to keep shackled so any extra chips to their cause is a bad thing, others I perhaps call. 

So thats a long winded way of saying 'it depends' 'i am not sure'    :-)))

EDIT: this is directed to the 1st hand, you posted second in the time it took me to write 
  • edited May 2016
    I kind of like a sort of old fashioned 2005 stop and go with the 2nd hand.
    I'm figuring that a player who limps in at these blinds wants to at least see a flop. Not are you'll ever get 2 folds pre