You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

In for a penny

167891012»

Comments

• edited May 2016
    1st hand I would insta-fold based on hand selection only. As it turns out having an overpair put me in good shape.

The s/stack cant afford to wait for premiums with 2.5BB and in the BB next hand.

340 to call with a pot of 1200 and the chance to bust a player makes me feel the odds were with me and ICM considerations mean call. Generally I don't do them and the last 2 times I tried, here and vs AJ in earlier post have come back to bite me. Maybe I should stop.

2nd hand, I was more worried about the open limper calling me than the button. "Limping to induce" doesn't really happen as much in PLO8 as in NL, especially dyms, but the thought had crossed my mind especially as I hadn't seen a limp from anyone for a good while.

Checking is definitely the safer option, and it should be safety first in a DYM.

In reality I don't think the check or the pot are bad and against regs I would do both for balance. You are right Jac in that my play needs players to be folding enough to make it a long term better play.

I do think the call/r-r all-in with a high only hand is a mistake from the button though.

• edited May 2016
    Hand 2

The limp would confuse me enough for my 'spidey sense' to be tingling, so I wouldn't expect a raise to get rid of anyone, doesn't mean I would never try it, especially if I was having a frustrating night :-)

However you get a chance to see a free flop with a holding that has great prospects, not sure I want to play for stacks with that hand until I see a flop.

You flop the World, so now you can either pot it and pad your chip stack by 750, if he calls or shoves you have a ton of equity.
    Obviously it depends who it is, but they would need to be VERY optomistic to carry on with that board, as played you force him into playing for stacks pre.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny:
    I kind of like a sort of old fashioned 2005 stop and go with the 2nd hand. I'm figuring that a player who limps in at these blinds wants to at least see a flop. Not are you'll ever get 2 folds pre
    Posted by Jac35

^^^ this.

Jac manages to say in a simple sentence, what took me a short paragraph ;-))
  • edited May 2016
    I fold.

Should have checked 2nd hand. Needs to be stronger to be happy to play for stacks and not quite enough fold equity with the pot sized bet.

On a reread this sentence doesn't make sense "In reality I don't think the check or the pot are bad and against regs I would do both for balance" as I can't see many regs limping utg with that stack in a plo8 dym.

• edited May 2016
    I kind of like a sort of old fashioned 2005 stop and go with the 2nd hand. I'm figuring that a player who limps in at these blinds wants to at least see a flop. Not are you'll ever get 2 folds pre
    Posted by Jac35
    Wow, Jackson offering advice on the 4 card game?

Poker is dead.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: In for a penny : Wow, Jackson offering advice on the 4 card game? Poker is dead.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I know, what's next?  Will you be giving advice on balcony furniture? 

PS I am actually grateful for the input from a big time priority player.
  • edited May 2016
    Good read Phantom!

Two interesting and common spots in the hands you posted.

Regarding hand 1...

I would be calling this all day long in this exact situation with these stack sizes for several reasons...

Firstly the odds.

Secondly if you fold then the opponent might snag enough chips to pot the next hand or one soon after and start to be another difficult factor to deal with at the table. I know you can argue that by calling you are giving him more chips but 300 odd more chips is neither a big dent to you or a 'massive' difference to his chances when compared to when you fold, however by calling you have the chance to remove him from the table. I would be struggling to fold any hand in this spot.

Third point I would mention is that if you lose this hand then the next few hands become more important than they were before this pot. You do not appear to be in any danger with 2k chips but a couple of orbits will soon shorten you especially if blinds hit 150/300... I don't mean by that I would advocate potting the next hand (although I might, depending on the dynamics) but I would be looking to pinch a few chips to maintain my stack +2k if possible (sometimes this won't be possible but if any opportunities to pinch a few chips present themselves in the hands immediately afterwards then take them IMO). I would generally try and do this in a low risk way which is vague as what is 'low risk' depends on the players and other table dynamics. It might be a limp in the SB with the intention of small ball repping any flop versus an opponent you feel will fold or it might be potting a two way against stack sizes who are looking 'safe' and will be less likely to call. Basically losing your BB and the 300 odd chips makes stack maintenance a bigger issue for you in the subsequent hands so you retain fold equity etc which is something to remember if making this call.

Regarding the second hand...

If I had played it this way (which I might well on occasion if I had a load of tables open) I would immediately think I played that wrong and just gave away any edge I might have post flop, I would feel I had just needlessly 'gambled'. If I was properly focussed, with these stack sizes in this situation I would always check. When it is 5 handed the dynamics are often not as clear to opponents (4 handed you will get away with more) and plenty people who have limped and shown interest already by limping will just call or get it in with you. Your hand plays nicely post flop for 2 reasons, you will often pick up a big piece and either take it down with a small bet on the flop or if it completely misses you, it probably missed your opponent and you again can probably take it down with a small bet on the flop. I know in this case he had a high orientated hand but that isnt the type of range that would/should 'normally' be flatting in that spot. Even in this situation however if you have checked preflop then make a small bet on the flop your opponent 'should' be folding a dry pair of tens (whether he will or not is a different matter) but in the long term you would be profiting if players are calling with dry tens versus your hand in these spots postflop.

GL @ the tables!
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks alot Marky.

I was kicking myself after busting and stood and didn't play another as I wanted some space and time to think. Making a nut straight and losing to a flush and making a nut flush and losing to a FH probably didnt help.

Confidence is a bit low on the plo8 front at the moment and I could hear myself saying check and see the flop in hand 2, then a last minute "punish the limpers" flashed across the brain and I potted without really thinking through the stacks and blinds and whether I was likely to force 2 folds.

Glad you agreed on hand 1, it's a tough one to hit call with spanners, but in a dym I suppose its the equivalent of calling with 63s because you know you have the odds and chance to bust a player who is very unlikely to be totally dominating vs givng the same player a free boost. You very eloquently explained in a para what I crudely called ICM considerations.

Re:2 I agree with you and others about the check, I have naturally aggressive tendencies which work well in my favoured 6max format but I have to fight to curb in DYMs, until the bubble and big blinds that is.

• edited May 2016
    Haven't posted my BR for a while, so you know it;s either going to be good news or terrible news now that I bring it up again.

Team aggro were out in force on the PLO8 tables tonight. Once I realised that and that taking on markycash in big pots early doors was probably not a good idea I managed to cash 3/3.

For the 3rd time in recent diary life, I have hit £200 (and 8p to be exact).

Just hoping to kick on this time, which would be nice, previous flirtations with this amount have been followed by severe knock-backs.

Roll will be boosted at the weekend. I tried to do Jac a favour and put a small bet on Hull to get promoted via the playoffs, fully expecting to bok them. Then picked up a £5 free bet so put that on Sheff Wed. I now have a 38p sweat now on the winner.

Also I now have £10 riding on Italy at the Euros. It's a tough group but I think they should get through and will have as good a shout as most yet were priced at 16-1. Add in to the mix the skybet offer of a £3 free bet every time they win, in all that seemed pretty good value.

Eldest Son is back home from Jordan now - picking up some casual work and contemplating his next move. 

Good to have him home and very proud of what he achieved out there.

Our dog seemed pleased too.

• edited May 2016
    Haven't posted my BR for a while, so you know it;s either going to be good news or terrible news now that I bring it up again. Team aggro were out in force on the PLO8 tables tonight. Once I realised that and that taking on markycash in big pots early doors was probably not a good idea I managed to cash 3/3. For the 3rd time in recent diary life, I have hit £200 (and 8p to be exact). Just hoping to kick on this time, which would be nice, previous flirtations with this amount have been followed by severe knock-backs. Roll will be boosted at the weekend. I tried to do Jac a favour and put a small bet on Hull to get promoted via the playoffs, fully expecting to bok them. Then picked up a £5 free bet so put that on Sheff Wed. I now have a 38p sweat now on the winner. Also I now have £10 riding on Italy at the Euros. It's a tough group but I think they should get through and will have as good a shout as most yet were priced at 16-1. Add in to the mix the skybet offer of a £3 free bet every time they win, in all that seemed pretty good value. Eldest Son is back home from Jordan now - picking up some casual work and contemplating his next move.  Good to have him home and very proud of what he achieved out there. Our dog seemed pleased too.
    Posted by Phantom66

All sounds good M, you should be proud of the laddie, great thing he was doing.
    Hope you keep up the solid playing and good BRM
  • edited May 2016
    Haven't posted my BR for a while, so you know it;s either going to be good news or terrible news now that I bring it up again. Team aggro were out in force on the PLO8 tables tonight. Once I realised that and that taking on markycash in big pots early doors was probably not a good idea I managed to cash 3/3. For the 3rd time in recent diary life, I have hit £200 (and 8p to be exact). Just hoping to kick on this time, which would be nice, previous flirtations with this amount have been followed by severe knock-backs. Roll will be boosted at the weekend. I tried to do Jac a favour and put a small bet on Hull to get promoted via the playoffs, fully expecting to bok them. Then picked up a £5 free bet so put that on Sheff Wed. I now have a 38p sweat now on the winner. Also I now have £10 riding on Italy at the Euros. It's a tough group but I think they should get through and will have as good a shout as most yet were priced at 16-1. Add in to the mix the skybet offer of a £3 free bet every time they win, in all that seemed pretty good value. Eldest Son is back home from Jordan now - picking up some casual work and contemplating his next move.  Good to have him home and very proud of what he achieved out there. Our dog seemed pleased too.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Hi P66
    I'm glad that your son is back, safe and well from Jordan.
    I hope he had good and fulfilling experience while he was there.
    and you have every right to be proud of him (champ pat on the back)
    Just to let you know you only got 3/3 tonight because i allowed it (i was tiered)

• edited May 2016
    Glad your boys home safe and well like your hedge betting can you use the £3 bets on sky poker I tried Portugal at 20 to 1
  • edited May 2016
    Cheers for the comments Hendo, Champ and Cheezy.

I think I may have a flaw in my Euro plan.

The £3 when your team wins is a free bet - fair enough. It must be used within 3 days though. Does anyone know if you can bet from Greece? I know you cannot play sky poker there.
  • edited May 2016
    Contacted CC.

There is a solution in that I will be able to get any expired free bets credited on my return to UK.

Happy days. Probably academic as Italy will no doubt draw all 3 games 0-0 and fail to qualify.

GL on the tables.

P.