You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted?

edited March 2016 in Poker Chat

HUD's are forbidden, Gelders.

A Player Database, such as Sharkscope, has always been available on a mixed subscription or free basis, & is not in any way a HUD, which, by definition, works "in game". Sharkscope only gives RESULTS, not in game , hand by hand analysis.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    but it seems player databases can be sold willy nilly

where exactly is the line being drawn?
  • edited February 2016

If you are referring to Aussie's database, that's a thorny one.

It is a Mod Decision to permit it here, & I'll not hide behind anyone, it was 100% my decision to allow it, as I believe it's done primarily in the players best interests, is well-intended, & the info which we see linked to on this Community is free to view. I was not aware until yesterday there was an additional, optional, fee based service, but if I understand it correctly, that's an optional extra. 

I have an open mind on this, & am content to review my decision if a significant number of players object, or think it is unreasonable. Unfavourable mention of this was also made by another poster yesterday, so I have to bear that in mind.

Happy to have a constructive discussion on this matter, & will take on board all reasonable views.

I will, if the concensus suggests it is generally not good for Sky Poker's players, ask Rob to desist posting these links, but I hope that's not the case, & I believe the majority agree.

Let's discuss it & see where it takes us.

Until then, I remain firmly of the view that Aussie does this for the players here, in the same way as, say, GaryQQQ runs the Results Thread, & others run Leagues & the like, & not as a means of making money.

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: I thought HUDs on Sky were forbidden:
    If you are referring to Aussie's database, that's a thorny one. It is a Mod Decision to permit it here, & I'll not hide behind anyone, it was 100% my decision to allow it, as I believe it's done primarily in the players best interests, is well-intended, & the info which we see linked to on this Community is free to view. I was not aware until yesterday there was an additional, optional, fee based service, but if I understand it correctly, that's an optional extra.  I have an open mind on this, & am content to review my decision if a significant number of players object, or think it is unreasonable. Unfavourable mention of this was also made by another poster yesterday, so I have to bear that in mind. Happy to have a constructive discussion on this matter, & will take on board all reasonable views.   I will, if the concensus suggests it is generally not good for Sky Poker's players, ask Rob to desist posting these links, but I hope that's not the case, & I believe the majority agree.   Let's discuss it & see where it takes us. Until then, I remain firmly of the view that Aussie does this for the players here, in the same way as, say, GaryQQQ runs the Results Thread, & others run Leagues & the like, & not as a means of making money.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Gary has never given us an option to pay to look at his thread as far as I'm aware. Nor have the other posters who run the leagues.
    I think it's quite different. Offering something for free and then when a there is a fair amount of interest, adding a charge.
    Good business practise
  • edited February 2016

All noted Paul.

I was of the opinion that players can view basic info for free.

If I thought it was primarily a Business that Aussie was running, then I'd certainly have to review my decision. At this moment, I don't see it that way, but I have an open mind.

We'll let the threads develop for a day or two, & see where it goes.

• edited February 2016
    .It's not that much different to sharkscope in that he is merely collating results.

He also adds some fun points and categories, and the hero card element is pretty cool.

It's all publically available information, he puts a lot of work into producing the stats.

I know Aussie claims you can draw inferences about playing style from some of the cards he produces, and he made a really ill-advised foray into trying to do so publically on the forum, but honestly it shouldn't bother players. He was making all this info available freely upon request until recently and few people worried about the ethics.

He should certainly offer an opt-out for people who don't want to be included in his databases.

I've been very critical of the claims aussie09 has made about his dataset and in particular his claims of effectiveness in terms of deducting playing style, i have no dog in the fight. To compare it to hand history databases or HUDs shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of  both what a hud is and can and can't do, and also of what Aussies service is and its usefulness at the tables. It's a bizarre comparison to make to be honest.

I think the work he puts into his site has value and that he is entitled to charge a small fee for what is a unique and very popular and fun service.
  • edited February 2016

I abso agree there should be (maybe already is?) an opt out. I am pretty sure Aussie has previously stated that players can opt out if they so wish.

I also abso agree there is no correlation whatsoever between a HUD, & a Sharkscope/Aussie type results service.
  • edited February 2016
    I mean ithe info is useful for sure. aside from the geek-factor -which I lov, and the inventiveness of what he has created in hero cards - which I admire, his cards will have a similar 'in game' usefulness as a sharkscope sub.

Personally, though I'd be grateful that there is a fun service like this. It's unique to sky and very cheap.

Honestly wouldn't be concerned at all if I was a reg featured in his site.
  • edited February 2016
    Firstly I think this has gone off topic and into another thing entirely. Namely Rob's DB. I for one think its a good fun thing to have on this Community, it must take a hell of a lot of dedication to do and adds great content. As for being able to deduce someones 'style' I think is a bit of a stretch and not that much of a help if at all true. It would take a lot of hours to trawl through the data to pick out people you probably wont come across a lot and the ones you do you invariably have reads or knowledge of them anyway. And, more importantly, practically every decent and as far as a relatively novice player should be able to interpret someones 'style' with in a few orbits anyway.

Secondly, I think Geldy needs to clarify his worries a little better. HUD's are banned and as someone has said offer in game stats and in no form is this possible.
  • edited February 2016
    Firstly I think this has gone off topic and into another thing entirely. Namely Rob's DB. I for one think its a good fun thing to have on this Community, it must take a hell of a lot of dedication to do and adds great content. As for being able to deduce someones 'style' I think is a bit of a stretch and not that much of a help if at all true. It would take a lot of hours to trawl through the data to pick out people you probably wont come across a lot and the ones you do you invariably have reads or knowledge of them anyway. And, more importantly, practically every decent and as far as a relatively novice player should be able to interpret someones 'style' with in a few orbits anyway. Secondly, I think Geldy needs to clarify his worries a little better. HUD's are banned and as someone has said offer in game stats and in no form is this possible.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    That's a good post Craig, but to be fair, Gelders never actually referenced Aussie09's site, I just suspected that was the case, especially as several pointed remarks were made yesterday by others.

If I have jumped to the wrong conclusion, my apologies go to Geldy, but it seems to me the subject needed airing, this was a boil waiting to be pr....pri....pric..... - well you get my drift.

There is, of course, no correlation at all between a HUD & a player database site such as Sharkscope, or Rob's site.

Sky Poker remain vigorously anti HUD & all other similar third party software which runs in game. 

• edited February 2016
    Is Aussies DB similar enough to sharkscope?
    Sharkscope shows me a graph and I can judge what type of player I might be up against.
    Aussies shows some numbers that don't seem to relate to anything.
  • edited February 2016
    I do feel a bit uneasy about it like Paul. It doesn't really affect me, I won't be paying for it. It is a good idea from a business POV to get people using the service a lot while its free then introduce a charge.

Does anyone know what's covered under the fee, like what can you view with/without it?

Fwiw, I dunno if someone has already pointed it out to Rob and he's fixed it but I noticed yesterday the prices said stuff like 'was £110, now £55', this is dodgy ground cos I believe it has to be advertised at the original price for 28 days before you can say its reduced from said price. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I'm not putting down the site but I don't see why anyone would pay other than as a nicety to Rob. Its a good useful site for free but iirc its more expensive than sharkskope and imo no where near as useful/comprehensive.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks Tikay and I understand it probably does need airing and any issues discussed. I just find it uneasy to start talking about this before Rob can have his say. People can start jumping to conclusions and I for one dont want to see him disappear from the site again for any misunderstandings. This site needs more contributions and people forget, as you regularily point out, that this is supposed to be fun and this adds to that IMO.
  • edited February 2016
    I don't think we need another debate on this issue. I'm neutral on the whole thing.

The advertising point was raised, clarified and deemed acceptable by Tommy and Tikay yesterday.

It is not a HUD or comparable to one, so that has started a bit of a red herring.

Big +1 To Teddy's post.

It must take a lot of time and effort for Aussie to do what he does.

People can make their own judgements as to the value to their game and whether it is worth subscribing for additional pay-to-view services.

A clear opt-out option should be in place imo.
  • edited February 2016

^^^ (Craig's post)

Rob is more than welcome to contribute to the debate.

This is a very unusual situation, as I have no power or authority in any Sky Poker matters at all, I just convey messages, & make suggestions, act as a bridge between players & The Business, but this particular baby IS my responsibility, as a Moderator, so I'm keen to have the debate, hopefully in good heart, then take a look & see if I need to think again.

I have to add I like Rob, & think he brings a lot to our Community, & we often have private discussions about this & that via private e-Mails. We have, however, not discussed these recent concerns, nor will we, we will both keep our hands clean.

The Site does not affect me personally, of course, as I don't play MTT's, but I'm very much a live & let live sort as long as significant offence is not being given, so to me, personally, it makes no odds either way. It means a great deal to Rob though.
  • edited February 2016

"....A clear opt-out option should be in place imo. ..."

Yes, I agree 100%.
  • edited February 2016
    I don't think we need another debate on this issue. I'm neutral on the whole thing. The advertising point was raised, clarified and deemed acceptable by Tommy and Tikay yesterday. It is not a HUD or comparable to one, so that has started a bit of a red herring. Big +1 To Teddy's post. It must take a lot of time and effort for Aussie to do what he does. People can make their own judgements as to the value to their game and whether it is worth subscribing for additional pay-to-view services. A clear opt-out option should be in place imo.
    Posted by Phantom66

+2 I have yet to see a less than sensible post from our Teddy.

For the record I don't really mind Robs idea for charging on his site, but I kind of get why it has ruffled a few feathers, now Phantom how do I clear my search history again?
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: I thought HUDs on Sky were forbidden : +2 I have yet to see a less than sensible post from our Teddy. For the record I don't really mind Robs idea for charging on his site, but I kind of get why it has ruffled a few feathers, now Phantom how do I clear my search history again?
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Yup, I completely get that.
  • edited February 2016
    Does the Data protection Act allow Sharkscope to hold information on me regard Sky Poker stats without my permission .
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: I thought HUDs on Sky were forbidden : +2 I have yet to see a less than sensible post from our Teddy. For the record I don't really mind Robs idea for charging on his site, but I kind of get why it has ruffled a few feathers, now Phantom how do I clear my search history again?
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Well you can clear it from your browser, although that is usually recoverable from your PC, plus your ISP will by law have to retain it for possible submission to the UK authorities under the Investigatory Powers Bill. Some believe that is merely legalising what the spy agencies can do already.

Of course if you are using most browsers, your activity will be mined and targeted advertising produced and the US authorities will be also be storing all of that information in a large data warehouse.

• edited February 2016
    I actually like some of aussies tables and check them most days. This has not been a problem.last year i even asked aussie to do a hero card for me it was fun.

This came a problem when the site became a business with a direct link to the site. But as tikay said its ok. As its sky pokers forum it is there choice.

Agree with lambert some of the pricing did look dodgy.
  • edited February 2016
    Does the Data protection Act allow Sharkscope to hold information on me regard Sky Poker stats without my permission .
    Posted by goldon
    You'll need to take that up with Sharkscope, I suspect they will say you can opt-out.
  • edited February 2016
    Posted by goldon

SkyPoker will have to comply with the Data Protection Act as they have access to your personal data, i.e. information that is identifiable as you. They will have to process that information fairly and lawfully and keep it safe and secure.

When joining you give them access to your name. address, contact details, date of birth and payment details.

You will consent to their Terms and Conditions and are aware that your alias results are publically available in the lobbies if you enter a SNG or MTT.

They also have a Privacy Notice (link at bottom left) which is requirement of the DPA.

So this information (your alias and tournament results) is published on the site with your consent.

Sharkscope as far as I am aware are not in breach of the DPA as they take publically available information identifiable only via a poker alias.

You can opt out of Sharkscope if you wish.
  • edited February 2016
    I actually like some of aussies tables and check them most days. This has not been a problem.last year i even asked aussie to do a hero card for me it was fun. This came a problem when the site became a business with a direct link to the site. But as tikay said its ok. As its sky pokers forum it is there choice. Agree with lambert some of the pricing did look dodgy.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Well it's not quite as black & white as you suggest. I saw it as a Community thing, free to use in it's basic form, if it were a purely subscription thing, that'd be another matter.

We'd probably not object to Sharkscope Links were it not for the fact that all manner of non-compliant (to Sky Poker) advertising is on that site. I'm not talking on non-stop Sharkscope spamming, I'm thinking of players who post their Sharkscope graphs & the like, which seems fine to me.

I don't see any of this quite as black & white as some, there are always degrees of right & wrong, & I'm simply keen to help make this Forum user & player friendly for as many as possible. If I need to make some tough decisions, I will.

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: I thought HUDs on Sky were forbidden : SkyPoker will have to comply with the Data Protection Act as they have access to your personal data, i.e. information that is identifiable as you. They will have to process that information fairly and lawfully and keep it safe and secure. When joining you give them access to your name. address, contact details, date of birth and payment details. You will consent to their Terms and Conditions and are aware that your alias results are publically available in the lobbies if you enter a SNG or MTT. They also have a Privacy Notice (link at bottom left) which is requirement of the DPA. So this information (your alias and tournament results) is published on the site with your consent. Sharkscope as far as I am aware are not in breach of the DPA as they take publically available information identifiable only via a poker alias. You can opt out of Sharkscope if you wish.
    Posted by Phantom66
    ThIs.

"Alias" is the key.

They don't publish personal information, only that which is in the domain. 
  • edited February 2016
    Could skybet offer a small contract to aussie? Plenty of companies have part time workers.
    Posted by chilling
    No. It was offered by Rob & discussed, a long time back, but Sky Poker did not wish to go that route.
  • edited February 2016
    By way of comparison, a friend runs a website that must take at least as much time as the one in question here, but as it is first and foremost 'for the good of the community it serves' (it is non-poker related) it is wholly free with an opportunity for regular or grateful users to 'make a donation' - cognisant of the fact that it still takes time and involves cost of hosting etc and those that benefit from the site may want to help contribute to it's continuing existence and regular updates.

Dare I suggest that the site in question here could consider a similar approach to cover costs?  If it truly is useful to poker players that are profiting from the site, a decent amount of donations should be forthcoming at a price deemed acceptable to the user (also avoiding any false advertising issues as noted elsewhere in this thread).

Everyone wins?
  • edited February 2016
    Very good post shaky
  • edited February 2016
    What does rob deserve for the time and effort he puts in then?
    Posted by chilling
    Nothing

• edited February 2016
    I'll expand a little bit
    No one has urged Rob to do this. He has chosen to do it. Initially I thought it was for his own enjoyment.
    All posters on here post because they enjoy the forum and not because they expect a reward.
    From time to time Sky do recognise some outstanding contributions. Gary's results thread being a prime example.
  • edited February 2016
    There is already a donate option on the site.