You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted?

Comments

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted?:
    hey, i remain an active member of the sky commuinity. the only reason i dont play here is because i am staked to play on another site. this was my first site and i still take an interest in it, and like to help out people on the forum where i can; i got a tonne of help when i first joined and its nice to be able to pay it forward. when / if my staking deal ends i'll no doubt be playing some games here again. i'd like to think i make my points in a reasoned manner, and if i didnt think i could add value to the debate i wouldnt bother, innit
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Please keep posting Teddy
    Always interesting 
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted?:
    hey, i remain an active member of the sky commuinity. the only reason i dont play here is because i am staked to play on another site. this was my first site and i still take an interest in it, and like to help out people on the forum where i can; i got a tonne of help when i first joined and its nice to be able to pay it forward. when / if my staking deal ends i'll no doubt be playing some games here again. i'd like to think i make my points in a reasoned manner, and if i didnt think i could add value to the debate i wouldnt bother, innit
    Posted by TeddyBloat

i know that you do help lots on here with advice and encouragment that is not in doubt and was not meant that way just why when it does not affect you have you such an interest?

And as for aussies site helping bring people on site not really sure how as most new players know nothing about scope let alone robs site so how does it help drive traffic as  really it is only sky players who know about it after the threads on the forum and i think this is where people worry is the info being/or going to be sold onto 3rd party sites. 

As i said in other post you should have to opt in before your info is displayed for anyone that knows about the site even when you don't that is just unfair.

And as for the im staked too play on another site whats stopping you playing with your own money on sky?
  • edited March 2016
    Is not railing a player from the first hand dealt to the final table (access to style and stats then)? Also,if players were confined to playing just the one table at any time, these top listings  with profits or losses would look vastly different. Not trying to subtract anything from the consistently good players of course.
    Posted by chilling
    Just cos I rail rose from beginning to end doesn't make me a good player. :P Sometime's I take no notice of play as usually busy doing something else and multi tasking. Btw I now have full internet access but may take some time for normal railing to resume as am totally and utterly shattered. So easy chips for everyone till I get my lost mojo back ;)
  • edited March 2016

I will endeavour to catch up on this thread later today, or in the morning.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted? : Lol.I never said you were a good player.lol,lol, lol. I meant that if someone rails a player during numerous tourneys,maybe without chatting,then that is having access to there style and possibly a slice of their stats.
    Posted by chilling

Railed sign a non disclosure agreement.

Official secrets kinda act. 

Edit:

*except exempt Aussie ,accept it.

• edited March 2016
    Chilling, do you purposely post such nonsensical drivel or is it unintentional? 
  • edited March 2016
    I'll always be here for you  chilling.

• edited March 2016
    I'll always be here for you  chilling.
    Posted by mumsie

:@}
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted? : Lol.I never said you were a good player.lol,lol, lol. I meant that if someone rails a player during numerous tourneys,maybe without chatting,then that is having access to there style and possibly a slice of their stats.
    Posted by chilling

And then using that info when you play is perfectly acceptable as you gathered the information. But I would be upset if Darkangel took copious notes while railing and then put them in a database for all to see for free. No doubt some might even be happy to pay for such information. Would this Angelscope be on the SkyPoker acceptable database list I wonder? 

• edited March 2016
    churchy, your info isnt being sold by sky. so that worry is unjustified.

it arguable that the publically published results of sky poker tournaments belong to sky and not the players. when you sign up you probably agree to having the results of tournaments being in the lobby.

as for my staking agreement it precludes me playing on other sites, which, again, is why i dont play on sky.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: What database apps on Sky are forbidden, and which permitted? : And then using that info when you play is perfectly acceptable as you gathered the information. But I would be upset if Darkangel took copious notes while railing and then put them in a database for all to see for free. No doubt some might even be happy to pay for such information. Would this Angelscope be on the SkyPoker acceptable database list I wonder? 
    Posted by GELDY
    Geldy I don't take notes, not really all that clued up about them. All my notes hold is if they've been abusive etc no hand information or how they play. Only player I have got sort of proper hand info on is Matt Bates and that's just a brief note at that. lol
  • edited March 2016
    churchy, your info isnt being sold by sky. so that worry is unjustified. it arguable that the publically published results of sky poker tournaments belong to sky and not the players. when you sign up you probably agree to having the results of tournaments being in the lobby. as for my staking agreement it precludes me playing on other sites, which, again, is why i dont play on sky.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    where and when did i say that? i said i also understand peoples worries about his site i.e has the whale/cant remember the other list really been removed?

or is this bit..really it is only sky players who know about it after the threads on the forum and i think this is where people worry is the info being/or going to be sold onto 3rd party sites.  again nothing about sky.

I have said nothing about sky other than...Think as someone else has said maybe rob could allow someone from sky admin access (but is sky really going to pay an employee to continually look through his site) to ease peoples fears.

So please tell where/when i said i had fears of sky selling my info.
  • edited March 2016
    Churchy.

Given that auusie / scope are 3rd party sites, the phrase: "people are worried their info is going to be sold onto 3rd party sites" implies, well , that people are worried their info is going to be sold onto 3rd party sites. Hope you can see where the confusion arises.

Apologies for not getting the correct meaning.

I get the feeling you are getting a little defensive. I can assure you there's no need. This has so far been a pleasant and reasoned debate.

If we allow each other leeway and not assume bad intentions it might stand a chance of staying that way
  • edited March 2016
    Gelds, the difference between scope and a hh database / detailed notes is so vast as to not be a sensible comparison.

If you can elaborate as to why you think them similar it might help the debate
  • edited March 2016
    Churchy. Given that auusie / scope are 3rd party sites, the phrase: "people are worried their info is going to be sold onto 3rd party sites" implies, well , that people are worried their info is going to be sold onto 3rd party sites. Hope you can see where the confusion arises. Apologies for not getting the correct meaning. I get the feeling you are getting a little defensive. I can assure you there's no need. This has so far been a pleasant and reasoned debate. If we allow each other leeway and not assume bad intentions it might stand a chance of staying that way
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    No problem at all teddy i am not looking for an arguement and have tried being fair thats why i said the following things..

Think some people have only got annoyed since the paywall was introduced even although before that they where quite happy to have hero cards made go figure.

But on other hand don't really understand those that use sharkscope complaining as he is doing the same thing.

Also think some people have forgotten how much rob has done for the forum as well.

all the best brian

• edited March 2016
    Thanks to teddy & teeks I think I can better understand the differences between various databases. Now I have to convince you of the similarity.

1. Means of delivery: HUD vs Sharkie very different, Railscope more like Sharkie.
    2. The nature of the data: HUD vs Sharkie very different, Railscope more like HUD.
    3. The claimed benefit of the data: The same. That they can help you  make more money (= the victim doesn't make so much/ loses more). With HUDs it's about decisions made in game re betting statistics. With Sharky it's about game choice and how to regard certain opponents. Railscope does both. 
    4. The skill needed to use the data: HUDs require a lot. Sharky doesn't while Railscope can be used by all.
    5. Governance of the data: data provider dependant, professional commercial operations likely to meet data privacy laws with respect to security, accountability, disclosure and transparency. Amateur operations may fail on all counts. 
    6. It discloses financial information: Sharky yes whereas I guess HUDs maybe not. 
  • edited March 2016
    So I agree HUDs, Sharky & Railscope have very different types of data delivered in very different ways. But in each case it can be argued the user is able to improve their results at the expense of others. In that respect they are the same. And then in respect of real world concerns, Sharky is the worst as it discloses players financial results. 

It's interesting that pokerstars now requires opt-in to Sharky because it supplies profit/ROI info on players. 
  • edited March 2016
    And to me the most intrusive is the one that supplies financial information about my play. And of those that do the ones that upset me most are those that don't fulfil their data privacy obligations. 

So there we have it. It's been a journey but at least I now know what I like least and why. And I'm sure there are some that agree with me. Maybe only a small minority, but treating customers fairly isn't just about doing what the majority wants.
  • edited March 2016
    1. Means of delivery: HUD vs Sharkie very different, Railscope more like Sharkie.

If by railscope you mean someone datamining a persons play and using the mass-hand-histories to compile stats on a players tendencies, then railscope would be very much like a HUD - with two major differences.

1 the data in a HUD is all from games you have observed and played in / railscope is from games you have not seen or played in

2 HUDs are perfectly legal on most sites / datamined hands most definately are not.

again there appears to be a very basic misunderstanding of these things.

2. The nature of the data: HUD vs Sharkie very different, Railscope more like HUD.

agreed. railscope is more like a HUD. but again with a HUD you will slowly build data as you accumulate hands on a player, and it is a perfectly legal and widely accepted tool in online poker. with dataminded hands you instantly have much more data than you could ever hope to accumulate by playing with a player. this data is illegal and widely frowned upon.

sharkscope does not resemble this in any way.

3. The claimed benefit of the data: The same. That they can help you  make more money (= the victim doesn't make so much/ loses more). With HUDs it's about decisions made in game re betting statistics. With Sharky it's about game choice and how to regard certain opponents. Railscope does both.

sharkscoping an opponent does give you information. the subset of players that lose money in MTTs play sufficiently differently from the subset of players that win money in MTTs. and you can combign other subests such as average buy in, average games per day etc etc and evaluate certain things.

however, this entails work. it isnt immediately obvious what playing tendencies will show up unless you do a lot of your own research.

incidently the subset of players from hungary play radically different from the other subsets in my games. it is a very reliable read.

you can also make inferences from player names, avatars etc etc. there is lots of publically available data that allows you to place a player within a certain population.

sharkscope /aussie scope provides some very limited information. the benefit gained is proportional to the work put into using that information. this basic information is provided by sky poker in the lobbies of tournaments.

the information in HUDs is accrued through playing a player.

both are legal and widely accepted as being fair and a part of online poker.

railscope provides information by datamining players, collating data from hands you have not observed and is illegal and widely accepted as being scummy.

4. The skill needed to use the data: HUDs require a lot. Sharky doesn't while Railscope can be used by all.

the data provided by a HUD is indeed only useful if interpreted correctly. many users would be better without having the data distracting them. ditto sharkscope.

railscope or datamining also needs skill. ok so you know villain raises 80% of buttons - what hands are better 3bet than flatted. what boards can you check-raise etc. this will also require off the table work. the major difference is that because of the volume of hands being traded you CAN build a pretty accurate picture of a player's game without ever have played them.

it is why it is illegal, frowned upon and in a radically different class to using a HUD or looking up a players profit on sharkscope

5. Governance of the data: data provider dependant, professional commercial operations likely to meet data privacy laws with respect to security, accountability, disclosure and transparency. Amateur operations may fail on all counts.

HUDs collect observed data. if i see you raise 4/4 buttons i can keep a tally sheet on a piece of paper, or i can have a hud automate that tallying. the effect is the same. there is no privacy being breached.

if i look in the lobby of every MTT running on sky with an av. buy-in above £50, i can note the winner and losers. i am not breaching privacy laws by doing so. no real names are used and players when they sign up presumably agree to thier alias being visible in MTT lobbies.

no personal data is being passed around, merely the result of online poker tournaments. scope and aussie automate this for me.

people can opt out of both sharkscope and aussie scope.

railscope relies on datamining which is - i would bet - a breach of terms of service on all sites.

players cannot opt out [actually there is a notorious dataming site that sells HH's that charges $1000s to opt out of its database of hands].

6. It discloses financial information: Sharky yes whereas I guess HUDs maybe not.

i can see how much players have won / lost v me in my database.

i can also see how much various aliases have won / lost in games i have not played.

i can do this by looking through the lobbies manually. i can collate this into a database like aussie and sharkscope have done.

or i can use aussies or sharkscopes database.

players can opt out of having the data associated with thier alias being publically available.

this doesnt strike me as a major privacy issue or one resembling the issue of datamined HH's being sold

• edited March 2016
    dammit i,ve just googled railscope and it come up with something totally irrelevent and technical :q
  • edited March 2016
    Stoke - yes i invented the term railscope to represent what Darkangel, or any other serial railer, could do if they chose to. And it doesn't just have to be HUD style statistics. It could be comments like always has AK when 5xing utg. And no, I'm not suggesting that DA would do that in a month of Sundays. But someone could.

Teddy - so you agree with me then :-) ie they all provide data that is claimed can improve your results. and your defence of Sharky on the basis you could go to the lobby, well that also applies to Railscope as you can sit on the rail. Both legal and available ways to get the info direct for yourself. (I know you can get the lobby info after the fact - but that's not my point).

HUDs legal on many sites, banned on SkyPoker
    Sharky - opt-in only for financial info on Stars, but freely available on Sky.

Swings & Swongs innit.

• edited March 2016
    my 'defence' of sharkscope is mainly that it provides limited data, that the data is of limited use [it isnt even a great predictor of skill level in most cases] and you can opt-out anyway.

datamining provides a complete picture of a player / implicit or explicit advice on how to play against a player [which why i was so vocal about aussie attempting / claiming to do just that] and is many orders of magnitude more useful. it is therefore many orders of magnitude more harmful. hence absolutely no sites allowing the practice.

you cannot opt out of this either.

saying that HH dataminig is similar to sharkscope in that they both claim to improve results is a baffling statement to me. plenty of things are similar in some over-arching general way: absinthe and sprouts are green; water and vodka are clear liquids; aerobic exercise and a glass of red wine with a meal are both said to be good for you.

swing and swongs aint in it, gelders squire.

they arent even close to being the same thing.
  • edited March 2016
    Great discussion.

Re: railing, when hands reach showdown, railers done see the losing hands , do they ?
  • edited March 2016
    just for the record i have absolutely no problem with people railing others and noting tendencies from the hands thay have themselves observed.

by railscope i am assuming you mean sites that datamine players and sell on their HH's or stats by position
  • edited March 2016
    Re: railing, when hands reach showdown, railers done see the losing hands , do they ?

no.

on WPN the winning player doesnt see them either lol
  • edited March 2016
    my 'defence' of sharkscope is mainly that it provides limited data, that the data is of limited use [it isnt even a great predictor of skill level in most cases] and you can opt-out anyway. datamining provides a complete picture of a player / implicit or explicit advice on how to play against a player [which why i was so vocal about aussie attempting / claiming to do just that] and is many orders of magnitude more useful. it is therefore many orders of magnitude more harmful. hence absolutely no sites allowing the practice. you cannot opt out of this either. saying that HH dataminig is similar to sharkscope in that they both claim to improve results is a baffling statement to me. plenty of things are similar in some over-arching general way: absinthe and sprouts are green; water and vodka are clear liquids; aerobic exercise and a glass of red wine with a meal are both said to be good for you. swing and swongs aint in it, gelders squire. they arent even close to being the same thing.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    nice analogies and very apt. my issue is exactly the property of having claims to improve results. they both do and in that respect are similar. I've already agreed that in so many other ways they are different.  If i needed a clear liquid either vodka or water would do. If I need a reputed poker enhancer then both HUDs & Sharky fit the criteria. Still baffled or simplez? 
  • edited March 2016
    just for the record i have absolutely no problem with people railing others and noting tendencies from the hands thay have themselves observed. by railscope i am assuming you mean sites that datamine players and sell on their HH's or stats by position
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    i have already explained, above, what i mean. no need to assume anything.
  • edited March 2016
    you're pretty vague and  a little all over the place in some of your definitions / understanding off some of these services / tools so it pays to clarify

and, yes i am still baffled.

if you really are saying that HUDs and aussies site are similar in the same way that absinthe and sprouts are similar then you arent saying much at all.

why you would want sky to treat aussies site as being in anyway similar to a HH datamining site or even a HUD is gloriously baffling to me. especially when scope and aussies site can generate interest in games and promote the site.

i want to go to america...

yes, sir we have this lovely rowing boat

its £3000, i can get a ticket first class on concorde for that

they will both get you across the atlantic, they are essentially the same.

• edited March 2016
    you're pretty vague and  a little all over the place in some of your definitions / understanding off some of these services / tools so it pays to clarify and, yes i am still baffled. if you really are saying that HUDs and aussies site are similar in the same way that absinthe and sprouts are similar then you arent saying much at all. why you would want sky to treat aussies site as being in anyway similar to a HH datamining site or even a HUD is gloriously baffling to me. especially when scope and aussies site can generate interest in games and promote the site. i need to get to america... yes, sir we have this lovely rowing boat its £3000, i can get a ticket first class on concorde for that they will both get you across the atlantic, they are essentially the same.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    i've explained it enough. i don't know why you are bringing HUDs into it so much (as this isn't about them) or why you are baffled. 

All I'm saying is that for various reasons i don't like people providing or selling information about me, particularly people that mine that data, and especially those that don't fulfil the requirements of the data privacy act.

Compared to stars sky has a stronger line re HUDs, which I praise them for, but a weaker one re Sharky which i'm less happy about, and i'm wondering why and where they draw the line.
  • edited March 2016
    I didn't bring huds into it.

Your original thread title included the word and you just made a 6 point post detailing how huds and sharkscope are similar. You also introduced the idea of railscope into the mix and made further comparisons.

It was that that I was rebutting.

If you aren't comfortable with scope you can opt out. It doesn't seem a massive issue to me, and I'm genuinely puzzled by the reactions in this thread.

I imagine more people enjoy using scope than not, hence sky allowing it. I also firmly believe it promotes games and the site which may be another reason.