You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Return of the Jac

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac:
    Felt old the other night Talking about Euro 96 and a lad said it was the year he was born. Heard Rhythm is a Dancer this morning. 24 years ago that was number 1 in the Hit Parade Sadly, Mrs Mangel died last week. 30 years ago she was in Neighbours. From Cleethorpes originally. 30 years ago the Mighty Rams were just about to begin their Divison 2 campaign where we would end up as Champions. Beat Dirty Leeds to ensure promotion https://youtu.be/l6ZgYGXvu6o Love Graham Richards commentary. Incidentally I was Phil Gees boss for a while. Then on the final day we beat Plymouth to win the league. Cracking goal from Bobby Davison who rarely scored from outside the 6 yard box https://youtu.be/yGp-sWElBhA ... Watched Palace breaking hearts with 4 3 on the final table to win an mtt last night. He's pretty good that chap.
    Posted by Jac35

Probably shouldnt have been in that league anyway........if anyone can spot why this was a penalty, please enlighten us :-)

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Probably shouldnt have been in that league anyway........if anyone can spot why this was a penalty, please enlighten us :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTgx6ZxzFw
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    :)
    Definite pen
    Anyone who was cynical enough to suggest that Maxwell may have bought the ref would be well out of order
  • edited August 2016
    Busy day Tuesday
    Bought sofas. Unhappy at cost
    Got new mortgage sorted. Happy with deal.
    7th in 9.30. Happy to run good most of the way. Unhappy how I played a few hands.
    Dyms - Won most - Happy
    Had 3 lattes. Happy at quality of lattes. Unhappy that I'm nearly as fat as the forum TROLL.
    Had KFC. 3rd time ever. Happy at how nice. Unhappy that I'm nearly as fat as the forum TROLL.
    May have another go at golf next couple of days. Happy to play. Unhappy that I'm playing badly.
    Football season starts this weekend.. Happy it's back. Unhappy it's back come 16.50 Saturday afternoon.

Happy that I'm back writing this tosh. Unhappy that it means the forum isn't as good as the good old days when there was so much fun.

• edited August 2016
    From a while ago

I went to watch the Mighty Rams yesterday at Burnley. We were not particulary "Mighty" though and i seem to remember just one shot all afternoon. It was that, or the mother-in-laws though and so, every cloud.

Liked the ground. Proper old ground and the setting was just what i imagined it would be. Old mill on the right as you come of the motorway. I've never really been to that part of the Country before so was quite interested to see it.

Always like the away games and prefer to go to the old stadiums as they have just so much more character.
    Pride Park is a great stadium but give me the Baseball Ground any day. Always amused to think that ancient ground in the middle of Normanton  hosted Real Madrid and Juventus with 40000 packed inside.

What are your favourite grounds? I'll give you a few of mine.

I went to the Nou Camp a couple of years ago on the tour and would love to return for an actual game, something i hope to do next year.
    In this Country i would have to say Old Trafford was very impressive but that's without going to Anfield, Goodison, St James Park (not sports direct stadium) and a few others.

Plainmoor was possibly my favourite though.
    Family holiday in the 80's and we arrived in Torquay at about 14.00. Dad suggested that i went with him to see the game, Mum was delighted! 
    Torquay won 6-1 with a hatrick from Paul Dobson. On the terrace it was great as just like a parks game we just moved up and down the touchline to whichever end Torquay were attacking.

Barnsley was good. Went there around 1992 when Derby had suddenly become the Man City of the 2nd division with a local businessman taking over and investing around 12 million.
    Great ground at the very bottom of a huge hill with 99% terracing, pity it's changed now. £6 return on the train and £7 the ticket. A little cheaper than it would be today.

Went to Wolves earlier this season and thought they had improved the ground really well. Elland Road was much smaller than i expected bar one enourmas stand which reminded me a little of how Filbert Street used to be.

Be interested to hear of other grounds that might be worth a visit?
  • edited August 2016
    Deepdale 16th August?

My original team was Maidstone Utd. They have just been promoted to the Conference, I shall be taking in some of their away trips to the likes of Southport. Looking forward to standing in some old style grounds and singing my heart out with a taxi full of fellow away supporters :-)

• edited August 2016
    Busy day Tuesday Bought sofas. Unhappy at cost Got new mortgage sorted. Happy with deal. 7th in 9.30. Happy to run good most of the way. Unhappy how I played a few hands. Dyms - Won most - Happy Had 3 lattes. Happy at quality of lattes. Unhappy that I'm nearly as fat as the forum TROLL. Had KFC. 3rd time ever. Happy at how nice. Unhappy that I'm nearly as fat as the forum TROLL. May have another go at golf next couple of days. Happy to play. Unhappy that I'm playing badly. Football season starts this weekend.. Happy it's back. Unhappy it's back come 16.50 Saturday afternoon. Happy that I'm back writing this tosh. Unhappy that it means the forum isn't as good as the good old days when there was so much fun.
    Posted by Jac35

Glad it's all sorted, hope all goes smoothly through to completion.
  • edited August 2016
    The first game of football I ever went to see ws Hibernian versus Motherwell at Easter Rd. 

My fathers family all supported Heart of Midlothian who play in the West of Edinburgh, but my dad being deliberately contrary decided to support Hibernian just to annoy them (a lot of his personality has rubbed off on me, just ask my kids when their friends visit ;-)).
    It was an off the cuff decision, we were visiting my grandad who lived nr Musseburgh, we were all sitting around doing the usual stuff when my mum says ''why dont you menfolk go do something?''

Never seen my grandad move so quickly in his life......''we can catch the game'' says he.

Long and short of it 3 generations made it to the Hibs end 5 minutes after kick off, all standing and at 1/2 time we moved clockwise around the ground to the other end.

What a smashing ground that was, small, noisy, dirty, rammed full, its still in the same place, over the years new stands and inevitable upgrades have changed it somewhat but it is staill a cracking place to watch football, to be fair Tynecasle is also a wonderful ground, no fuss, no running tracks etc....not many trophies either, but thats another subject ;-)

I'd love to say I was hooked and have been a lifelong Hibs fan since, but alas like many youngsters my head was turned chasing Glory and I started to follow Man City......sorry miclick ;-) but I did swap cities and follow Celtic.more on the first British team to win The European Cup another day.

These diary things really do spoil the forum BTW

• edited August 2016
    The first game of football I ever went to see ws Hibernian versus Motherwell at Easter Rd.  My fathers family all supported Heart of Midlothian who play in the West of Edinburgh, but my dad being deliberately contrary decided to support Hibernian just to annoy them (a lot of his personality has rubbed off on me, just ask my kids when their friends visit ;-)). It was an off the cuff decision, we were visiting my grandad who lived nr Musseburgh, we were all sitting around doing the usual stuff when my mum says ''why dont you menfolk go do something?'' Never seen my grandad move so quickly in his life......''we can catch the game'' says he. Long and short of it 3 generations made it to the Hibs end 5 minutes after kick off, all standing and at 1/2 time we moved clockwise around the ground to the other end. What a smashing ground that was, small, noisy, dirty, rammed full, its still in the same place, over the years new stands and inevitable upgrades have changed it somewhat but it is staill a cracking place to watch football, to be fair Tynecasle is also a wonderful ground, no fuss, no running tracks etc....not many trophies either, but thats another subject ;-) I'd love to say I was hooked and have been a lifelong Hibs fan since, but alas like many youngsters my head was turned chasing Glory and I started to follow Man City......sorry miclick ;-) but I did swap cities and follow Celtic.more on the first British team to win The European Cup another day. These diary things really do spoil the forum BTW
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Great story Jimi
  • edited August 2016
    My first game

Derby County 5 Halifax Town 2

I knew the opponents and the score and that it was the league cup. I had to look up the actual date. I was right that it was 1982 but didn't know that it was 13th September. I was 6

My recollection is that we won after extra time with Archie Gemmell, Jimis twin, scoring a penalty at the Normanton End. That may be wrong. Unfortunately I can't find out who the scorers 

My Dad took me to the game with my Grandad. He imagined that I, as he had been his first time, would be in awe as I first walked up the steps into the stand and saw the pitch. I'd love to say that it was like that, but actually I was a little underwhelmed.

The whole reason that he took me to the game was that I'd just watched the 1982 World Cup with him in Spain. 
    I expected the Baseball Ground would be similar to the Nou Camp and the Bernabeu.
  • edited August 2016
    1982 World Cup

I'd previously seen bits and bobs on Soccer Sunday. Games like Leeds v Millwall hadn't really grabbed me. 

The World Cup was very different. Brazil!
    The football they played was incredible. The kit! (Palace wearing the same colours as an away kit didn't quite have the same impact). The players had fabulous names. Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Junior.

Maybe at 6 I wasn't at the best stage of my life to judge, but I would still argue that that is best Brazilian team of my lifetime.

I was devastated when they were knocked out. I recovered slightly when I realised that the Italian forward and nearly the same first name as me. Paulo Rossi.

Completely hooked on football. From there, in no time at all, I knew all 92 league clubs grounds. I even knew most of the capacities.

Football had got me.
  • edited August 2016
    Derby

A couple of years later I got my first season ticket. I went with my Grandad and my Dad and they did a deal where kids pretty much went for free.

Good time to get a ticket. We scraped promotion from the third division and then won the division 2 championship the following year.

It's incredible how so many important things leave our minds whilst we retain useless information. Without looking, I know for sure that Derby signed Ross Maclaren and Jeff Chandler on the same day in 1985. We got them from Shrewsbury and Bolton. A fee couldn't be reached with either club and so it was set at tribunal. £67500 for Maclaren and £38000 for Chandler.

I was in heaven when we got promotion to Division 1. 2 weeks later I was distraught. 

The club hiked the prices up and my Dad couldn't afford it. Rather than going himself and leave me at home, he gave up his ticket after 25 years of being a season ticket holder. I really wish now that he'd kept going.

My Dads first love was Cricket. The gentlemans game. The national game. I liked it. I batted and bowled and captained my local side. I represented Derby at schoolboy level.

I liked it 

Football was different. It grabs you in a way that no other sport can. You can't escape. Year after year ends in disappointment. You vow never to return. You do

The last 3 years have been tough as a Derby fan. At the end of last season I was fed up. Then we appoint a thug as our manager.

"That's it. I'm not going again"

3.00 this Saturday you'll find me in the West Stand Upper.

• edited August 2016
    1982 World Cup I'd previously seen bits and bobs on Soccer Sunday. Games like Leeds v Millwall hadn't really grabbed me.  The World Cup was very different. Brazil! The football they played was incredible. The kit! (Palace wearing the same colours as an away kit didn't quite have the same impac players had fabulous names. Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Junior. Maybe at 6 I wasn't at the best stage of my life to judge, but I would still argue that that is best Brazilian team of my lifetime.t). The I was devastated when they were knocked out. I recovered slightly when I realised that the Italian forward and nearly the same first name as me. Paulo Rossi. Completely hooked on football. From there, in no time at all, I knew all 92 league clubs grounds. I even knew most of the capacities. Football had got me.
    Posted by Jac35

Very very strong squad, even Dave Nareys thunderbolt couldn't stop them.  ;-)
  • edited August 2016
    Is that the one where we took an unfit Keegan and Brooking - didnt lose a game but came home early anyway?

At least it wasnt on penalties.

I dont think taking unfit "star" players to a world cup ever works does it?

We still haven't learned.
  • edited August 2016
    I remember Oakwell in 1998 when Barnsley were in Premier League.
    The away end had that giant terracing and at half time thousands would rush up and then down the back to the grottiest toilets I have seen in top flight football.
    Some didn't bother going in to the toilets, if you know what I mean.

Both scary and unhygienic in equal measures.

Sometimes change is good.
  • edited August 2016
    Your story of Plainmoor reminds me of my local team, Macclesfield in the 80s when they were in the Northern Premier League or Conference.
    I was young free and single and would go to 3 or 4 games a week locally.
    It was affordable then.
    Stockport, Stoke, Port Vale and Crewe were all close by.

At Macc, alot of people entered at one end and made their way to the terrace behind the nearest goal.
    When the ref signalled for the teams to change ends, a few dozen of us would make our way all the way round to the other goal. You could do that then.

A few would wait on the half way line to get a good start to get the best places.
    Obviously this was no good if the teams didn't swap ends.

As the half time whistle went, everyone would trudge back to the other end.

Sometimes this was far more interesting than the game.
  • edited August 2016
    I remember Oakwell in 1998 when Barnsley were in Premier League. The away end had that giant terracing and at half time thousands would rush up and then down the back to the grottiest toilets I have seen in top flight football. Some didn't bother going in to the toilets, if you know what I mean. Both scary and unhygienic in equal measures. Sometimes change is good.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Wow! That's a bit spooky. I was going to mention Oakwell.
    I'm coming from a slightly different side than you on that one.
    April 4th 1992.

My last year at school and I went with a couple of mates. 
    Bus into town, walk to train station and a £6 return to Barnsley. As I said before, funny what we remember. No idea how much the match ticket was but the train fare was definitely £6.

Got off the train and walked through the town centre to the ground. Usual classy football stuff. Saturday afternoon shoppers were met with "In your Barnsley slums..."

I loved the bowl the ground is in and the walk down to it. The ground was great. All standing other than 2 rows at the back of the main stand.

Fat gobby bloke at half time said he was off for a pie. Took orders off a few of his mates. Pie stand was in bottom corner. A few minutes later we here a variation on a popular song at the time. Fat gobby bloke us juggling about 6 pies and singing st the top of his voice from behind the goal.
    "I've got all the pies, I've got all the pies, I'm a fat basstard, I'm a fat baatard, I've got all the pies"

We play Barnsley a week on Saturday. Thought about going but I'll leave it. I want to remember it as it was back then.
  • edited August 2016
    Whoa. Great read. I can talk for hours about my away trips mostly fantastic even if the results were not some were scary some made me disgusted by our behaviour but alas I'm on me jollies supping big beers
  • edited August 2016
    I still remember the day at Oakwell with fondness despite that.

My parents and grandparents used to talk about things in "the good old days"
    "Yeah, yeah, whatever" was my thinking.

I guess we are gettting old then.

p.s.
    pleased you are posting regularly again

Last night I played a few PLO8 DYMs.

We can't have peolple saying this shouldn't be in Poker Chat

• edited August 2016
    My favourite away day memory = Boxing Day 26/12/89

The first ever Kent League derby and we won. Maidstone had just been promoted to the Football League after years of not being voted in.

Standing on an open terrace in the corner at the away "end". 

Mark Gall and Steve Butler were just about the perfect strike partnership. One with bags of pace, one with height and a good touch and they both could finish.

Beaney features in the highlights with a camera save in the first half and a penalty save in the second. He went on to play for Leeds in the old first division. We also had Warren Barton who went on to play for Wimbledon and Newcastle.

Very happy memories.

We had some nice songs about Gillingham which I can't post here. Wonder if they still sing them. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

• edited August 2016
    Woah, hang on a second.

You were 6 years old in 1982?
  • edited August 2016
    Now this is entertainment , great read.
    I am lucky? Enough to remember watching THE best Brazilian team - 1970. 
    England 2 up v Germany and losing 3-2 still hurts :(
  • edited August 2016
    Might be a Spurs fan, but as I'm about to go on holiday to Bolsover(!), thought I'd share my most and least favourite Derby memories.

Least favourite-at the Lane, I was 10 (1973), Spurs leading Derby 3-1 with 8 minutes to go, then Roger Davies scored a hat-trick, ended up 5-3 to Derby.

Favourite Derby memory also involved Roger Davies-beat 4 defenders (1 of them twice), rounded keeper, open goal, head -butted post and knocked himself unconscious! Legend
  • edited August 2016
    Ah, Roger Davies
    It's just like modern day football. Derby were going for the Division 1 championship. Had a great team already. Hector, McFarland, Hinton etc. So who do you go and sign? Worcester City's centre forward :)

There are the two incidents you mention Phil and one other that jump out. In the second leg of the European Cup semi final v Juventus he got himself sent off for head-butting.

Always been well liked at Derby. Did split the fans a while ago with his 100% backing for Nigel Clough when he was a local radio commentator.
    Lives near me. Had a near fatal car accident a couple of miles away around 3 years ago. Full recovery thankfully.
  • edited August 2016
    poker chat

Not playing poker tonight. Too tired
  • edited August 2016
    Better do poker chat before the diary hater sends mass pms to Sky top brass. Not playing poker tonight. Too tired
    Posted by Jac35

In 5 years, maybe this thread will be remembered in a fun archive based thread?

Fun.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : In 5 years, maybe this thread will be remembered in a fun archive based thread? Fun.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Bah
    Dislike you a lot
  • edited August 2016
    Ah, Roger Davies It's just like modern day football. Derby were going for the Division 1 championship. Had a great team already. Hector, McFarland, Hinton etc. So who do you go and sign? Worcester City's centre forward :) There are the two incidents you mention Phil and one other that jump out. In the second leg of the European Cup semi final v Juventus he got himself sent off for head-butting. Always been well liked at Derby. Did split the fans a while ago with his 100% backing for Nigel Clough when he was a local radio commentator. Lives near me. Had a near fatal car accident a couple of miles away around 3 years ago. Full recovery thankfully.
    Posted by Jac35
    I was at Stamford Bridge as a young lad, whenRoger Davies beat everyone had a open goal and ran the ball out.Oops .
  • edited August 2016
    poker chat Not playing poker tonight. Too tired
    Posted by Jac35

What league are you entering for the promo?

You gonna do a Derby and be in cash places until the final day then blow it?
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : I was at Stamford Bridge as a young lad, whenRoger Davies beat everyone had a open goal and ran the ball out.Oops .
    Posted by chilling
    https://youtu.be/JNIquRW3mOo

Bad Roger Davies