You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Return of the Jac

Comments

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac:
    Might be a Spurs fan, but as I'm about to go on holiday to Bolsover(!), thought I'd share my most and least favourite Derby memories. Least favourite-at the Lane, I was 10 (1973), Spurs leading Derby 3-1 with 8 minutes to go, then Roger Davies scored a hat-trick, ended up 5-3 to Derby. Favourite Derby memory also involved Roger Davies-beat 4 defenders (1 of them twice), rounded keeper, open goal, head -butted post and knocked himself unconscious! Legend
    Posted by Essexphil
    How extraordinary. There are very few specific football matches I can recall from that long ago, but I remember this one as if it were yesterday.

I was working in Blackhorse Lane Walthamstow at the time, & one of my colleagues was a big Derby County fan. I had no particular affinity with either Spurs or Derby County, other than an adoration of Mr Clough.

So I took him to the game, & I found a tout in Tottenham High Road & paid £20 a ticket for 2 tickets. £20 was a LOT of money in 1973.

We were behind the goal in which, if I recall correctly, 6 or 7 of the 8 goals were scored.

Roger Davies was quite extraordinary, never seen his like before or since. Capable of sheer genius & utter buffoonery in the same game. He was very tall - well over 6' - but his legs were not always co-ordinated, he was a bit like Bambi on ice, & frequently fell over his own feet.  

Great memory, thanks for the memory jog.  
  • edited August 2016
    Might be a Spurs fan, but as I'm about to go on holiday to Bolsover(!), thought I'd share my most and least favourite Derby memories. Least favourite-at the Lane, I was 10 (1973), Spurs leading Derby 3-1 with 8 minutes to go, then Roger Davies scored a hat-trick, ended up 5-3 to Derby. Favourite Derby memory also involved Roger Davies-beat 4 defenders (1 of them twice), rounded keeper, open goal, head -butted post and knocked himself unconscious! Legend
    Posted by Essexphil
    Make sure you visit Bolsover Castle.

It was built by the Cavendish family, the descendants of whom, I think, are the Dukes & Duchesses of Devonshire, who own Chatsworth House & Chatsworth Estate.

I'm not sure where all their money came from, but they had a shed load of it, & spent it very well.

In this day & age, it's hard to imagine why anyone would build a fortified castle in Bolsover of all places.  

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : How extraordinary. There are very few specific football matches I can recall from that long ago, but I remember this one as if it were yesterday. I was working in Blackhorse Lane Walthamstow at the time, & one of my colleagues was a big Derby County fan. I had no particular affinity with either Spurs or Derby County, other than an adoration of Mr Clough. So I took him to the game, & I found a tout in Tottenham High Road & paid £20 a ticket for 2 tickets. £20 was a LOT of money in 1973. We were behind the goal in which, if I recall correctly, 6 or 7 of the 8 goals were scored. Roger Davies was quite extraordinary, never seen his like before or since. Capable of sheer genius & utter buffoonery in the same game. He was very tall - well over 6' - but his legs were not always co-ordinated, he was a bit like Bambi on ice, & frequently fell over his own feet.   Great memory, thanks for the memory jog.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Pretty sure it was 7 at the 1 end-absolutely sure I was at the opposite end....

PS-think they built the Castle to prevent people leaving for the bright lights of Ilkeston...will visit both the Castle and Wollaton Hall :)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Pretty sure it was 7 at the 1 end-absolutely sure I was at the opposite end.... PS-think they built the Castle to prevent people leaving for the bright lights of Ilkeston...will visit both the Castle and Wollaton Hall :)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Cotmanhay and Kirk Hallam do have that kind of pull
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Cotmanhay and Kirk Hallam do have that kind of pull
    Posted by Jac35
    Now't wrong with Cotmanhay.....

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/cotmanhay.html
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Now't wrong with Cotmanhay..... http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/cotmanhay.html
    Posted by Tikay10
    How did you find that? :)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : How did you find that? :)
    Posted by Jac35
    I wrote it.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : I wrote it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    :)

You write 
    'Eh up mi duck'
    As well? 

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : :) You write  'Eh up mi duck' As well? 
    Posted by Jac35
    When I first moved to the Midlands - around 1980 - I was struck by the use of "mi duck". Everyone was "duck", it replaced "mate" or "pal".

I joined a snooker club opposite The Priory pub on the A52 (Lenton Abbey), & wandered in on my first day & fancied something to eat. Spotting a food cabinet, I asked for "2 ham rolls".

They looked at me gone out.

It seems that a bread roll in those parts was a "cob" or a "bap". To me, a cob was a horse, & baps came in pairs, usually adorning a young lady.

The passage between two houses was an "alley" to me, but in Nottingham it's called a "ginnel". Over in Stoke, they call it a "twitchel". 

Amazing how dialects vary in such short geographical distances.

Strange folks, am them Derbyshire & Notts sorts.  

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : When I first moved to the Midlands - around 1980 - I was struck by the use of "mi duck". Everyone was "duck", it replaced "mate" or "pal". I joined a snooker club opposite The Priory pub on the A52 (Lenton Abbey), & wandered in on my first day & fancied something to eat. Spotting a food cabinet, I asked for "2 ham rolls".   They looked at me gone out.   It seems that a bread roll in those parts was a "cob" or a "bap". To me, a cob was a horse, & baps came in pairs, usually adorning a young lady.   Strange folks, am them Derbyshire & Notts sorts.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Reet enough

Btw
    It's a bit black over bills mothers in the great East Midlands today 
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : You didn't read it I didn't bother. Although I'm sure you're just trolling so that people can come up with a few :) For a short while I considered bullshittingg  that i knew how to rig fruitys so that I could be "Jackpot" ��
    Posted by Jac35
    Oi...that's my nickname :)

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Oi...that's my nickname :)  
    Posted by bromley04
    :)
  • edited August 2016
    Had a little go at poker tonight. Even played some of that 4 card rubbish. There's just a small chance that the reason that I am rather rude about it is because I don't know how to play it.
    For someone of my skill level not being able to just shove makes the game somewhat hard.
    Luckily I found a weak player to get it all in with in the one £5 I played and bust him.
    In the £10 I committed myself with slightly less than premium cards on the bubble and had to follow through with a shove. Made a bit of a fool of myself there.
    One comment made me smile. I apologiisd for playing so badly and a good reg was very kind to me and suggested that I keep playing. 
    Hmmm! :)

Lost £4 which I'll get over.
    Had Fun

Doing my normal thing. After a nice boost to the bankroll last weekend I haven't got the motivation to play much. Doubt I'll play a lot over the weekend even with the double points thing.
    Golf tomorrow night and then work and football on Saturday. Going to sort out options for new house on Sunday.
    I'll have to make some time for some beer as well so I will probs give poker a miss.
  • edited August 2016
    Funny how everyone has memories of Derby but noone else has memories of Maidstaone :)

You are clearly younger than I thought.

So you wont remember this...

Rare footage of grass on the baseball ground.

I supported West Ham as a youngster (before I was old enough to get to Maidstone games (local team for local people).

Charlie George was my favourite player who didnt play for West Ham.

I used to see my cousins pretty much every weekend at our nans house. We played subbuteo alot and we had a white top black short team that was West Germany when we played internationals and Derby when we played league games.

• edited August 2016
    Derby knew how to score against Real Madrid in European Cups Jon!
  • edited August 2016
    20 years since Trainspotting. What a film! What an era, although I think that everyone thinks that their early adult years were the best.
    Little known fact was that the worst toilet in Scotland scene was filmed at Jimis local.

The soundtrack has to be up there with the best ever from a film. What competes? Blues Brothers? Pulp Fiction?

This was a bit special though.

Lust for Life - Iggy Pop
    Come together - Primal Scream
    Perfect Day - Lou Reed
    Temptation - Heaven 17
    Atomic - Sleeper
    Mike end - Pulp
    Born slippy - Underworld
    Choose Life - PF Project

Plus many more

• edited August 2016
    Had a little go at poker tonight. Even played some of that 4 card rubbish. There's just a small chance that the reason that I am rather rude about it is because I don't know how to play it. For someone of my skill level not being able to just shove makes the game somewhat hard. Luckily I found a weak player to get it all in with in the one £5 I played and bust him. In the £10 I committed myself with slightly less than premium cards on the bubble and had to follow through with a shove. Made a bit of a fool of myself there. One comment made me smile. I apologiisd for playing so badly and a good reg was very kind to me and suggested that I keep playing.  Hmmm! :) Lost £4 which I'll get over. Had Fun Doing my normal thing. After a nice boost to the bankroll last weekend I haven't got the motivation to play much. Doubt I'll play a lot over the weekend even with the double points thing. Golf tomorrow night and then work and football on Saturday. Going to sort out options for new house on Sunday. I'll have to make some time for some beer as well so I will probs give poker a miss.
    Posted by Jac35
    Marv.

Let me guess - you had the Kings, & he had the Aces, something like that?

• edited August 2016
    Wild at heart is up there for me. 

As both a visual artist and musician David Lynch had a keen sense of combining pictures and music to tell a story.

Most remembered for Chris Isaaks Wicked Game, there are classic rock n roll mixed in with Strauss Powermad and some quirky original pieces.

In fact that and another classic Jungle book are the only 2 movie sound tracks I have in my record collection.
  • edited August 2016
    20 years since Trainspotting. What a film! What an era, although I think that everyone thinks that their early adult years were the best. Little known fact was that the worst toilet in Scotland scene was filmed at Jimis local. The soundtrack has to be up there with the best ever from a film. What competes? Blues Brothers? Pulp Fiction? This was a bit special though. Lust for Life - Iggy Pop Come together - Primal Scream Perfect Day - Lou Reed Temptation - Heaven 17 Atomic - Sleeper Mike end - Pulp Born slippy - Underworld Choose Life - PF Project Plus many more
    Posted by Jac35
    Mary Poppins?
  • edited August 2016
    20 years since Trainspotting. What a film! What an era, although I think that everyone thinks that their early adult years were the best. Little known fact was that the worst toilet in Scotland scene was filmed at Jimis local. The soundtrack has to be up there with the best ever from a film. What competes? Blues Brothers? Pulp Fiction? This was a bit special though. Lust for Life - Iggy Pop Come together - Primal Scream Perfect Day - Lou Reed Temptation - Heaven 17 Atomic - Sleeper Mike end - Pulp Born slippy - Underworld Choose Life - PF Project Plus many more
    Posted by Jac35
    Apocalypse Now
    Sha,ft (grrr filters)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : Apocalypse Now Sha,ft (grrr filters)
    Posted by VespaPX
    I'll def have Apocolypse Now in my Top 10
    Loved The Doors and The End is fantastic 
  • edited August 2016
    Cr@p film but 500 Days Of Summer has an excellent soundtrack.

As does Worlds End. And the first American Pie soundtrack is timeless.

• edited August 2016
    Forrest Gump

London Boulevard (helps to be a Kasabian fan for that one)
  • edited August 2016
    The Breakfast club
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Return of the Jac : I'll def have Apocolypse Now in my Top 10 Loved The Doors and The End is fantastic 
    Posted by Jac35

Apocalyptic spelling ;-)

Platoon would definitely have to be there too, just for White Rabbit and Adagio for strings.

I think The Matrix needs to be included, some fantastic tracks in that film

• edited August 2016
    Reservoir Dogs :)
  • edited August 2016
    Pretty crapppy day. Not the football as you may have thought.

Actually managed to swerve that. Got home from work at 13.30 to be informed that I needed to take Penny to the walk in centre. She's feared for a few days now that she might be having another relapse. She was upset when I got home. Next to no mobility with her left leg. We booked an appointment for 15.00 and left at 17.00. Unfortunately not to go home but to go to the QMC in Nottingham. We're still there. It's very annoying. With her experience with these things Penny knows that she just needs a course of steroids.

Hard one to explain how it works with MS. She has relapsing remitting MS and really doesn't want to get to secondary progressive
    The more relapses she has the more likely she will go to secondary progressive
    Whereas when we are ill, we have a bad week or so and then return to normal health. She doesn't 
    She gets better but she never returns to the health she has before the relapse. Which obviously makes any relapses very upsetting.
    With MS it's all a gradual decline in health.

Not explained that very well.

She is desperate not to stay in for the night on the Medical Assessment Unit. She thinks it's an irrational fear but to me it's perfectly rational. The hospital and the ward in particular are horrible. It's not the staffs fault. They do a wonderful job. There are many other reasons but they're for another day.

As is standard we had the normal nightmare couple in the next bay. Call me a snob but this woman was about as rough as it's possible to get.
    Ranted on about nothing nonstop. Everyone just had their head in their hands and sat in silence. It was almost funny when at one point she exclaimed that she had to get out of there. Reason being the bloody noise in these places.

She banged herself at one stage and screamed out "Oh me fxxxing foot" quickly followed by a line I've never ever heard before "I smell like Fxxxing Farrt"

About 30 seconds after she had left us a cheer went up that I can only compare to as akin to the Ipro when Bradley Johnson gets substituted.

Harry staying at his Grandparents. Hopefully get out of here soon. Really fancy a beer.
  • edited August 2016
    Posted by Jac35
    Best soundtracks gross pointe blank and lock stock
  • edited August 2016
    Pretty crapppy day. Not the football as you may have thought. Actually managed to swerve that. Got home from work at 13.30 to be informed that I needed to take Penny to the walk in centre. She's feared for a few days now that she might be having another relapse. She was upset when I got home. Next to no mobility with her left leg. We booked an appointment for 15.00 and left at 17.00. Unfortunately not to go home but to go to the QMC in Nottingham. We're still there. It's very annoying. With her experience with these things Penny knows that she just needs a course of steroids. Hard one to explain how it works with MS. She has relapsing remitting MS and really doesn't want to get to secondary progressive The more relapses she has the more likely she will go to secondary progressive Whereas when we are ill, we have a bad week or so and then return to normal health. She doesn't  She gets better but she never returns to the health she has before the relapse. Which obviously makes any relapses very upsetting. With MS it's all a gradual decline in health. Not explained that very well. She is desperate not to stay in for the night on the Medical Assessment Unit. She thinks it's an irrational fear but to me it's perfectly rational. The hospital and the ward in particular are horrible. It's not the staffs fault. They do a wonderful job. There are many other reasons but they're for another day. As is standard we had the normal nightmare couple in the next bay. Call me a snob but this woman was about as rough as it's possible to get. Ranted on about nothing nonstop. Everyone just had their head in their hands and sat in silence. It was almost funny when at one point she exclaimed that she had to get out of there. Reason being the bloody noise in these places. She banged herself at one stage and screamed out "Oh me fxxxing foot" quickly followed by a line I've never ever heard before "I smell like Fxxxing Farrt" About 30 seconds after she had left us a cheer went up that I can only compare to as akin to the Ipro when Bradley Johnson gets substituted. Harry staying at his Grandparents. Hopefully get out of here soon. Really fancy a beer.
    Posted by Jac35

Hope all goes well m8, spent enough time in MAU over the past couple of years to feel your pain.
  • edited August 2016
    Feel for you on many levels.

I have experienced the living hell of medical assessment units many times. Some with my wife as the patient and some with her and her mum who had MS.

As you say generally not the staff but the system.

All the best for you and penny. Take care.