You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT changes & discussion thread

191011121315»

Comments

• edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread:
    I built a new structure as yes it was pretty ridiculous. It was from the old Turbo Tuesday. Hopeully the Gold Rush will be more popular!
    Posted by Sky__James

Fancy looking at the Friday megastack structure whilst you're tinkering under the tournament bonnet? :)

Starts far too deep, ends far too shallow, and I know at least.....1 person.....that will back me up on this.

• edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : Fancy looking at the Friday megastack structure whilst you're tinkering under the tournament bonnet? :) Starts far too deep, ends far too shallow, and I know at least.....1 person.....that will back me up on this.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

ME        +1
  • edited March 2017
    I noticed a few weeks back that the 20:45 Dealer Stealer was dropped, I wasn't surprised as it was missing the guarantee most nights. I don't think anything has replaced it though. I think I saw this afternoon a Dealer Stealer Bounty Hunter, so wondered if it was worth re-instating the 20:45 Dealer Stealer, but as a Bounty Hunter Dealer Stealer? Maybe £11 Buy-in £400 Gtd to start with.
  • edited April 2017

It's that time of year again.......

Below are a bunch of Guarantee reductions, all with immediate effect.
  • edited April 2017

7.30pm £1,500 BH  is now a £1,000 BH

9pm Sheriff £2,500 is now £2,000

Friday & Saturday only - 9.30pm £2,000 BH is now £1,500 BH

Friday and Saturday only - 10pm £1,500 BH is now £1,000 BH

• edited April 2017

Monday - Marksman becomes £6,000

Tuesday - Summit becomes £6,000

Wednesday - Predator becomes £6,000

Saturday - Sharpshooter becomes £8,000

Saturday - Mini Sharpshooter becomes £2,000

• edited April 2017

Sunday - Sunday Major becomes £12,000 with 1 rebuy allowed if eliminated. Late Reg is extended by 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
  • edited April 2017
    In my opinion the gurantee should be reachable now youve lowered some of the gurantees so thats all positive..If sky poker feel they need to rescedule some tournaments i think its obviously for a good reason so im all for it even it upsets some miserys.
  • edited April 2017
    Sunday - Sunday Major becomes £12,000 with 1 rebuy allowed if eliminated . Late Reg is extended by 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I dont think anyone could think that the latest UKOPS as anything other than a great success, which always seems to be the case.
    The increased guarantees obviously require an additional number of players have to be attracted to the site.
    These players are presumably attracted from other sites, rather than new players suddenly deciding to enter the higher stakes UKOPS tournaments.
    Where do they go at the end of UKOPS?
    Why dont more of them carry on playing on Sky?

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : I dont think anyone could think that the latest UKOPS as anything other than a great success, which always seems to be the case. The increased guarantees obviously require an additional number of players have to be attracted to the site. These players are presumably attracted from other sites, rather than new players suddenly deciding to enter the higher stakes UKOPS tournaments. Where do they go at the end of UKOPS? Why dont more of them carry on playing on Sky?
    Posted by HAYSIE

Because they are gravitating over just to play the higher buy in comps (£100+). Doubt they are gonna suddenly hang around to grind £33 main events if they have an average buy in elsewhere of double or treble that.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : Because they are gravitating over just to play the higher buy in comps (£100+). Doubt they are gonna suddenly hang around to grind £33 main events if they have an average buy in elsewhere of double or treble that.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Not even Sundays and Tuesdays?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : Not even Sundays and Tuesdays?
    Posted by HAYSIE

When I sometimes mooch the Sunday major lobby you often see names that you don't see on other days, so I'm sure there are some that boot Sky up just to play that.

But Sunday is the main day for online poker so there is a lot of competition for big buy in games.

If you're an online MTT pro who mainly plays Stars/888/Party etc you have to weigh up if its worth opening another site (and maybe depositing?) to just play one comp there whilst you have a dozen tables running elsewhere.
  • edited April 2017
    Sunday - Sunday Major becomes £12,000 with 1 rebuy allowed if eliminated . Late Reg is extended by 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Is the reduction in the guarantees down to less players in the Summer than Winter?
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : Is the reduction in the guarantees down to less players in the Summer than Winter?
    Posted by HAYSIE

And in other news, water is wet.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : And in other news, water is wet.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    The reason I asked that is because I thought I had read it somewhere on the forum in the past. So I intended to ask, if this was the case then why only some nights not others, and only at some times on some nights, and not other times?
    For instance the main on Tuesday is the same, Summer and Winter, so far that is, but the 9.00pm guarantee has been reduced by 25%. So it is difficult to justify that on the basis of Summer or Winter. We have the same guarantee at 8..pm, but not at 9.00pm.  Fridays guarantee is also unaffected and the registrations seem to have increased slightly.
    So water being wet, rather than being a clever answer, is a somewhat stupid answer.

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : The reason I asked that is because I thought I had read it somewhere on the forum in the past. So I intended to ask, if this was the case then why only some nights not others, and only at some times on some nights, and not other times? For instance the main on Tuesday is the same, Summer and Winter, so far that is, but the 9.00pm guarantee has been reduced by 25%. So it is difficult to justify that on the basis of Summer or Winter. We have the same guarantee at 8..pm, but not at 9.00pm.  Fridays guarantee is also unaffected and the registrations seem to have increased slightly. So water being wet, rather than being a clever answer, is a somewhat stupid answer.
    Posted by HAYSIE

Is everything so black and white in your world? :)

I'm sure Sky have bundles of historical data behind the scenes that they can reference; perhaps tournament X at X times does well year round but tournament Y at Y times suffers seasonally.

Just because if one MTT has the same guarantee year round, it doesn't mean a poker site doesn't suffer the winter/summer issue, especially if said poker operator is a relatively small, British facing site like Sky is.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : When I sometimes mooch the Sunday major lobby you often see names that you don't see on other days, so I'm sure there are some that boot Sky up just to play that. But Sunday is the main day for online poker so there is a lot of competition for big buy in games. If you're an online MTT pro who mainly plays Stars/888/Party etc you have to weigh up if its worth opening another site (and maybe depositing?) to just play one comp there whilst you have a dozen tables running elsewhere.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    If you take the UKOPS then the players are prepared to deposit for that.
    Yet if you took a Sunday as an example last week we could get over 300 players to pay £110 each to cover a 30k guarantee, and this week the guarantee is being reduced by 20% to 12k.

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : If you take the UKOPS then the players are prepared to deposit for that. Yet if you took a Sunday as an example last week we could get over 300 players to pay £110 each to cover a 30k guarantee, and this week the guarantee is being reduced by 20% to 12k.
    Posted by HAYSIE

You can't compare a week long festival where there is regular £100+ games to a standalone weekly Sunday main event.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : Is everything so black and white in your world? :) I'm sure Sky have bundles of historical data behind the scenes that they can reference; perhaps tournament X at X times does well year round but tournament Y at Y times suffers seasonally. Just because if one MTT has the same guarantee year round, it doesn't mean a poker site doesn't suffer the winter/summer issue, especially if said poker operator is a relatively small, British facing site like Sky is.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    My original question was ask if  the substantial reduction in lots of guarantees was down to Summer and Winter, or something else.
    If you could say that Sky suffer a loss of 20% of their players during the Summer compared to the number playing in the Winter then you would expect a 20% reduction of the guarantees across the board. You would then expect them to return to the Winter guarantee whenever Winter starts. This would be unavoidable.
    However I would find it more difficult to believe that Sky lose 20% of their players in the Summer which starts in April, except on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights. That doesnt make any sense. Nor does expecting similar numbers to play the Tueday main, but 25% less to play the Summit on the same day.
    So perhaps it is something else.
    Perhaps it is the wrong tourneys.
    If you started a poker site which from day one had an overwhelming majority of one type of tournament, you would surely then only attract players who enjoyed playing that one type of tournament. The players that joined, but were looking to play more of a variety of tournaments, would surely leave and look for a site that conformed more to their wishes. Leaving you with a group of players happy to play the one type of tournament. This would make it more difficult to expand, because you would be attracting new players from the group that liked this particular type of tourney rather than anyone who plays poker.
    Doesnt it therefore follow that if you have a poker site that is up and running and you convert the scheduleto to an overwhelming majority of bounty hunters, that the new players you attract will be happy to play all the bounty hunters. All the existing players unhappy with the schedule will leave to play elsewhere. The management of the company are then truely able to say the most popular tournaments are bounty hunters. However this truth would only be created by the tournament schedule.

• edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: MTT changes & discussion thread : You can't compare a week long festival where there is regular £100+ games to a standalone weekly Sunday main event.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I am not sure you are seeing the point. Whatever you have got to say it was possible to get over 300 last Sunday in the Winter, over 150 the week before, but an expectation of only 120 this week in the Summer.
    It wasnt that long ago when Thursday was guaranteed at 15k with a £33 buy in and Tuesday 6k with an £11 buy in. The old Tuesday might have been a good tournament to get the new players to get the experience of playing a big tourney without a big buy in.

• edited May 2017

The Guarantee on the Thursday HITMAN Main Event has been reduced to £6,000 with immediate effect.

It will likely remain at £6,000 for the summer before going back up in the autumn.