You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ORFORD'S BANKROLL CHALLENGE

Comments

• edited April 2010
    In Response to ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE!:
    From May 1st  to May 31st I’m going to turn £100 of my own money into £200 on the Sky Poker tables.
    Will you, like me, be aiming for a Return on Investment (ROI) of 100%?
    I know you've simplified this for sake of keeping things simple, but 100% ROI means you never lose a game. Return On Investment is calculated from the profit divided by the TOTAL INVESTED (i.e. the sum of every buy-in). That's a major mistake, especially for any newbies reading this.
  • edited April 2010

Strictly speaking, FishingPhi, in the Post above, is correct.

However, I think we all know what Rich means - it's actually return on "Return on Bankroll".

Welcome to "RoB".
  • edited April 2010
    shame this hadnt strtd earlier,have gone from zero to 30 quid in the las week and a half..admittedly hafter winning 14p in a freeroll had to use roulette to get to 50p so cud atleast play a game of poker.lol...hmm, 30 pound to 130,sounds unlikely for me,up and down like the proverbial...giv it a go tho..gl all.
  • edited April 2010
    This sounds a good idea Rich, count me in will load £100 in sky poker and see if i can get to £200 for a ROI 100%
    Also I am going to try and qualify for MTT's using my bankroll and still have the 100% ROI come 31st May.

Roll on Saturday so this challenge can begin !

Barry
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE!:
    Question - are cash for points awards excluded from this? At some pointin May people will receive their April payment.
    Posted by luvBWFC
    Hello mate- yes, for the purposes of keeping it simple- we're NOT counting cash for points bonuses towards our totals.

Otherwise, a player who played loads in April and is aiming to get his bankroll up by £30 in May, might complete the challenge in one go when his bonus comes in! Kind of defeats the object doesn't it?

:)
  • edited April 2010
    I couldnt wait till the first, so my months challenge will have started on the 27th. Ive not been too strict on the BRM either! Hero or zero for me! So i started today with £100. Won a £5 entry £250 guaranteed for £100 Played 3 £20 husngs, and won 2 Played a £50 dym and cashed. So im now on £254. Im sorry i couldnt wait till the 1st, but its a decent start to my challenge. Only another £746 to go!
    Posted by dantb10
    Lol- that's cheating Dan!

Gotta start on May 1st- besides I reckon you'll get up to £1000 before then anyway. So, think of this as preparation for the real deal!
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : I know you've simplified this for sake of keeping things simple, but 100% ROI means you never lose a game. Return On Investment is calculated from the profit divided by the TOTAL INVESTED (i.e. the sum of every buy-in). That's a major mistake, especially for any newbies reading this.
    Posted by FishingPhi
    Fair point FishingPhi- Return on Bankroll it is then. Although I suspect most people will still call it ROI, you have gained a moral victory!

Plus, I''ve learned something new there, so thankyou.
  • edited April 2010

Not exactly set myself a target, but in 3 sessions i've more than tripled my £50 roll into £180. Been playing .15/.30, so I can't say i'm adhering to any sort of Bankroll Management Strategy, but it's a neat little return to form :)

• edited April 2010
    Been having a little practice at work before the big start day on sat and up 10% for the day so far!! only prob is work gets in the way sometimes!!!!!! ;)
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : I know you've simplified this for sake of keeping things simple, but 100% ROI means you never lose a game. Return On Investment is calculated from the profit divided by the TOTAL INVESTED (i.e. the sum of every buy-in). That's a major mistake, especially for any newbies reading this.
    Posted by FishingPhi
    Strictly speaking, I think that you are incorrect.
    This would only be true if the maximum that you could win from any individual game was double your stake (including rake).

As an example, if you played two £10 buy-in games and made £20 profit in one and lost in the other, you would have a 100% ROI as I understand the term. As the term is used on sites like Sharkscope this would also give an average ROI of 100%.

However, I think we are all agreed (and newbies readily grasped) that Rich is using the term in the sense of the bankroll that each person is nominating for the start of May.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : Strictly speaking, I think that you are incorrect. This would only be true if the maximum that you could win from any individual game was double your stake (including rake). As an example, if you played two £10 buy-in games and made £20 profit in one and lost in the other, you would have a 100% ROI as I understand the term. As the term is used on sites like Sharkscope this would also give an average ROI of 100%. However, I think we are all agreed (and newbies readily grasped) that Rich is using the term in the sense of the bankroll that each person is nominating for the start of May.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Yes, I grasped it.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : Yes, I grasped it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Vince said newbies not oldbies!!!    :)
  • edited April 2010
    Strictly speaking, FishingPhi, in the Post above, is correct. However, I think we all know what Rich means - it's actually return on "Return on Bankroll". Welcome to "RoB".
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah, most of us know what he means but comments like that could easily lead newbies up the garden path and i would expect better from an "advisor". Could you imagine what would happen to those poor souls if they posted on a forum like 2+2: "i've got a 600% ROI"...

PS. Apologies for being first out of TKO last night. In hindsight, jamming AK into an already raised pot was perhaps not my best ever poker decision.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : Yeah, most of us know what he means but comments like that could easily lead newbies up the garden path and i would expect better from an "advisor". Could you imagine what would happen to those poor souls if they posted on a forum like 2+2: "i've got a 600% ROI"... PS. Apologies for being first out of TKO last night. In hindsight, jamming AK into an already raised pot was perhaps not my best ever poker decision.
    Posted by FishingPhi

I don't think that Rich would consider himself an "advisor" whether it be in inverted commas or not.
    I also think that newbies are far clearer about the definition of this challenge than you are.

I imagine that people on "2+2" would be impressed with a "poor soul" who posted that they had an (average) 600% ROI. It would show a very impressive win rate or possibly just one lucky big cash in an MTT in a small sample of results.

I hope that this helps clarify matters for you.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : Yeah, most of us know what he means but comments like that could easily lead newbies up the garden path and i would expect better from an "advisor". Could you imagine what would happen to those poor souls if they posted on a forum like 2+2: "i've got a 600% ROI"... PS. Apologies for being first out of TKO last night. In hindsight, jamming AK into an already raised pot was perhaps not my best ever poker decision.
    Posted by FishingPhi
    If you're looking for an advisor on how to donk off your entire bankroll or how to forget where your car's parked, then Richard's your man...if not, he's TV presenter and recreational player so there's no need to get nit picky! :-)
  • edited April 2010
    Players showing an interest in playing the Orford May Bankroll Challenge. Name Initial Roll Target Roll Target ROI % Ricorford   £       100.00   £        200.00 100% jubbley   £         25.00   £        100.00 300% GREGHOGG   £         50.00   £        200.00 300% monkey123   £       100.00 -£       200.00 -300% acebarry10   £         43.00   £          86.00 100% TRIP5   £         50.00   £        100.00 100% MrWh1te   £         50.00   £        500.00 900% IRISHROVER   £         50.00   £        100.00 100% SNOWY37   £       100.00   £        300.00 200% Machka   £       100.00   £        200.00 100% darich   £         50.00   £        200.00 300% barnsie   £   1,000.00   £    3,000.00 200% essexpoker   £           1.00   £            2.00 100% sick_swans   £       100.00     PKRPar   £       100.00     Dazler   £           5.00   £        100.00 1900% LOL_RAISE   £   1,400.00   £    5,000.00 257% DOHHHHHHH   £       100.00     JohnConnor     £        300.00   MICKYBLUE       SolarCarro   £       100.00   £        200.00 100% Taller_Guy     £          50.00   dylan12   £       100.00     hurst05   £       500.00   £    2,000.00 300% Dud_Butini   £         40.00   £          80.00 100% phil12uk   £       500.00   £    1,500.00 200% robc   £         32.00   £          65.00 103% yb   £   3,000.00   £    4,500.00 50% walesboy   £         35.00   £          70.00 100% goodylad21   £       500.00   £    1,500.00 200% elsadog   £       100.00     DTWBANDIT   £       100.00     35suited   £         20.00     Dudeskin8   £         67.50   £        192.50 185% MAXALLY   £         25.00   £        100.00 300% dantb10   £       100.00   £    1,000.00 900% loza666   £         50.00   £        500.00 900% snowhite       MYSHARKY   £       100.00     POKERTREV   £         50.00   £        250.00 400% Darntootin   £         10.00   £        100.00 900% stokefc       JAEGERBOMB   £       100.00   £        200.00 100% bryan1960   £           0.40   £        100.00 24900% Wilhelm   £           1.00   £        100.00 9900% maximus66   £       100.00     (using the ROI calculation I put above, if it's wrong let me know)
    Posted by Machka
    Annoyed that my predicted ROI isn't the biggest...
  • edited April 2010
    Im gna start with £100 too and try and double it up Rich but im gna play the dym sit n gos and other sit n gos... dont really like cash get too involved! Hope we can both do it!
  • edited April 2010

The Last Poet cannot pass the offer
    I will try to double the amount in my coffer
    From 25 pounds to 50 in thirty days
    DYM or Cash to do it there are many ways

• edited April 2010
    I don't think that Rich would consider himself an "advisor"
    I (wrongly) assumed that as a presenter, he would have an above average knowledge of poker. Never assume anything. :-)
    I also think that newbies are far clearer about the definition of this challenge than you are.
    I was just pointing an obvious mistake that could mislead others. How is your comment even relevant to what i said?
    I imagine that people on "2+2" would be impressed with a "poor soul" who posted that they had an (average) 600% ROI. It would show a very impressive win rate or possibly just one lucky big cash in an MTT in a small sample of results.
    2+2 is quite famous for its good advice AND its general mauling and ripping apart of "amazing" statistics. The general opinion is that small samples and short term results are irrelevent...but i don't think anybody would be particularly upset with a big win or two, regardless of anyone else's opinions. lol.
    I hope that this helps clarify matters for you.
    There was nothing to clarify. Go pick your fight with someone else.
  • edited April 2010
    Ok, I'll bite.  However, my challenge will be two fold.

First, normal BR challenge.  £500 into £1500.  Big task but I'll have a pop at it.  I can do this challenge at any time in the month of May

Second challenge.  £200 into £500.  However this challenge will only take place between the hours of 8pm and 11pm, can only be cash, only on Saturdays, the tables must have little 'TV' icons by them in the lobby and the general public can laugh at me in some instances.  And I challenge my fellow TV tarts Darich, Machka, Dohhhhhh and any others who fancy it to have a go also.  It's the May Mastercash 'I'm on TV I am Mum' Macho Marathon.

Both Bankrolls will be independently recorded and reported for all of your funny bone needs.
  • edited April 2010
    I'll put up a revised table Thursday evening, if anyone thinks their proposed stats are wrong leave a message and I'll modify.

bryan1960 may want to reconfirm his proposed ROI / ROB!
  • edited April 2010
    May I suggest all people doing the challenge get a £1000 freeroll ? That sure will help them win their gamble and progress with their bankroll !
    Posted by lastpoet22
    An excellent idea lastpoet, and may I further suggest that the original poster of the thread gets £10,000 added to his account to also help him along the way? Well, it only seems fair...

Seriously, it's not up to me. But who knows? Those lovely sky suits and mods might see your post and think what a good idea that would be. If you don't ask...
  • edited April 2010
    I'll put up a revised table Thursday evening, if anyone thinks their proposed stats are wrong leave a message and I'll modify. bryan1960 may want to reconfirm his proposed ROI / ROB!
    Posted by Machka
    Nice one Aaron!

Good to speak to you briefly on the phone today. Are you going to Glasgow or Swansea?
  • edited April 2010
    £37.76...what?..we still havent started.?.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: ROLL UP, ROLL UP FOR ORFORD'S MAY BANKROLL CHALLENGE! : Roi of York gave battle in vain.
    Posted by bryan1960
    That covers quite a broad spectrum bryan.
  • edited April 2010
    just realised ill be starting on the back foot for this. Working in Russia next week with (probably) no internet access at the hotel. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Well my BR was £0.02 but after the Facebook freeroll is now £37.72 so I can join you now and try to double up to £75 by the end of May.

Steve
  • edited April 2010
    Yea this is a good idea,

So..100 into 250 by end of may..
  • edited April 2010
    My target is to take my £100 to a greater value than that of the Greek economy.

• edited April 2010
    Well my BR was £0.02 but after the Facebook freeroll is now £37.72 so I can join you now and try to double up to £75 by the end of May. Steve
    Posted by bigbiker22
    Nice one Steve. Just think of the ROI on 2p if you hit your £75! Gonna be a fair few percent I'll warrant...