You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (HSBC Champions) Years Profit: -£130.75

Comments

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (French open + Greenbrier) Years Profit: -£163.00:
    Great to see Howell leading on the European tour again. He is local to me and is a member at 1 of my local courses. Strangely enough I'm actually playing there tomorrow at 1.30, so if he holds on to win there will be a great atmosphere in the club house. GL David!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Nice story Flash, yes I imagine it will be a cracking atmosphere.

David Howell comes across as a really good guy, I thought his post round interview yesterday was superb, as obviously was his round.

I haven't got a penny on him, but he's one of those few players I would actually be pleased to see win even if it did mean my bets went down the pan!

Have a good game, hope it stay's dry on the course for you.
  • edited July 2012
    can't believe what im watching

• edited July 2012
    Me too!

I'm kind of relieved that Molinari didnt win in the end because I had already mentally had Simpson down for the win. Would have been gutted if it had cost me the double!
  • edited July 2012
    Very ul those on Simpson, looks like he buckled being the overwhelming fav over the w/end. He didn't play that well on the greens on the Sat, but got away with it with those two late birdies. Any guesses anyone on how short Strickers' gonna be this week given his phenomenal record in the John Deere? I'll take a stab @ 4/1.
  • edited July 2012

The bookies were the big winners this week.

What price Woods, Mickleson and Furyk all missing the cut at in the Greenbrier and then we had the melt down of in running odds on favourite Simpson, I think the first five all started at odds of 100/1 or more.

Similar story in France really, big pre tournament favourites Westwood and Kaymer finished well down the field and when most people had given up on Marcel Siem he goes and wins for the first time in 8 years!

Personally I managed to back Graham DeLaet at 7/1 to finish top 20 and Jacquelin in running at 40/1 to limit the damage.

A great effort from Splashies, with the typical roller coaster of emotions you get with a bet on the golf ;)

Already begun the studying for the Scotish Open and John Deere, good luck all!

• edited July 2012
    Right here we go again :)

Scottish Open

It was tough to settle on my two picks this week, there are so many who i wanted to back. First up, is 2010 Open Champion Louis Oosthuizen. I wanted to back him here last year but instead he went over to the John Deere because he has a love of tractors! But I'm glad he's playing this year.

Secondly, Ive gone for Branden Grace, I ear marked him a few months back as someone who'd I'd back this time of the year. Already got him 100/1 for the Open, so hopefully he'll have a good week here too.

John Deere

Brendan de Jonge is having a very consistent season with 6 top 25's and has only missed the cut 3 times this year from 21 events. He also had a decent run here last year too.

Finally it's Kyle Stanley. Runner-up here last year but has had an awful few months. I'm hoping his 2nd place here last year will give him the confidence to start playing well again.
    EventPickOddsStake
    Scottish OpenLouis Oosthuizen33/1£2 e/w
    Scottish OpenBranden Grace50/1£2 e/w
    John DeereBrendon de Jonge33/1£2 e/w
    John DeereKyle Stanley50/1£2 e/w
     4 x e/w doubles £4.00 total
  • edited July 2012
    Scottish Open

Padraig Harrington - 14/1 -(Win only) Seems to be back into form and always seems to do well at links style golf courses

Louis Oosthuizen - 33/1 -(Win only) Again seems to always do well at links courses and has got some good history in this comp as well as he always seems to be there or there abouts in big comps.

Lorenzo Gagli - 100/1 -(e/w) Did very well here last year, he also performed well at port rush, so could be a suprise this week.
    John Deere

I picked 3 out before the odds came up but they turned out to be the 3 favourites so I've had to change a bit.

Jonathan Byrd - 20/1  (win only)Super consistant, even had a good week last week while feeling ill. Hopefully recovered for this week and can take a lot of confidence from that.

Blake Adams - 80/1 - (e/w)  Been getting some very good results of late and 80/1 is deffo worth a look
  • edited July 2012
    Mikael Lundberg had a fantastic Sunday at Portrush I'll bear him in mind this week at a big 200/1.
  • edited July 2012
    Sean O'Hair and John Senden both £2.50 e/w @ 40/1 in the John Deere.

Not sure whether or not to donate to the Scottish Open,decide later in the week.

Gl all

edit:backed Dyson,Stenson and Lawrie for a fiver each,only cos the post tipped 'em and fancied a bit of interest.
  • edited July 2012
    Scottish Open

Padraig Harrington is due a win and conditions will suit, defending champion and world number one Luke Donald must be there or there abouts, but I have to pass over them looking for better each way value.

Simon Dyson 60/1 e.w.

What's not to like about Simon Dyson at these odds!

I'm not bothered about his missed cust in France last week as he's missed the cut there for the last 4 years.

Coming back from injury, the more significant result was his 10th place finish in Ireland 2 weeks ago, his best result in 2012.

Consider Simon Dyson has won the Dunhill Links (and a 5th), won the KLM Open 3 times played on a links type course usually in generally windy conditions, for a player returning to full fitness and coming into form, 60/1 ew looks overly priced.

Rafa Cabrera-Bello 60/1 e.w.

May not yet have the links pedigree of some of the other players in the field, but the signs are very promising.

Some of his best results have come in tough conditions, such as the Qatar Masters and the Ballantines Championship, more recently he finished a creditable 30th in the 2011 Dunhill Links Championships and the 2nd two weeks ago in Ireland would suggest Cabrera-Bello is a man in form with a game well suited to Links golf.

John Deere

As with the Scotish Open, the men at the top of the betting market would appear hard to oppose, but again the stingy odds on offer, mean there is better ew value to be found further down the field.

Tim Clark 35/1 e.w.

Had a tough 12 months following injury / surgery, but tied 4th last time out would suggest Clark is on his way back.

Hitting green's in regulation has been Clark's strength, this season he is ranked a lowly 144th on the PGA Tour, but this includes events that Clark played in when he tried to come back to soon from injury.  Take the GIR stats for Clark from his last 3 regular events on the tour and he would be ranked 3rd for GIR in 2012, which would strongly suggest Clark's A game is very close.

He also boasts good course form with a 2nd and 7th, so at odds 5 times the price of Stricker 35/1 look's healthy e.w. value!

Ryan Moore 50/1 e.w.

There's lots of players with good course form in this event, but the bookies have done their best to kill the value, so I've gone for Ryan Moore who hasn't played the John Deere as much as others, but has a game and stats that suggest he should score well here.

He's on a run of 9 consecutive cuts made and with a 61 has scored the low round on tour in 2012, bit of a dark horse looking for his first tour win but 50/1 is too tempting to resist.

Good Luck all!!!
  • edited July 2012
    First Round Leader

I've gone with those who have morning tee times as weather permitting they tend to do better.

Scottish Open

Henrik Stenson - 40/1 - Each week he is looking more like the classy Henrik of old, with perhaps a little less pressure in the early rounds, his scoring has tended to be better, so I'm hoping for another fast start from the cool Swede!

Simon Dyson - 50/1 - One of my tips for outright, I like his grouping with Jaidee and Warren, both playing well but not the big names that will attract too much attention, so a chance to put a good score together under the radar.

John Deere

Pat Perez - 50/1 - Ranked 5th on the PGA Tour for first round scoring, playing consistently well at the moment, safely making cuts, a nice early draw gives Perez another opportunity to get off to a flyer.

Seung Yul Noh - 35/1 - Appears to have found his comfort zone on his debut season on the PGA Tour, often gets off to a good start, if he finds the course to his liking, has a good chance of climbing that leaderboard early on.
  • edited July 2012
    i like Cabrera Bello as an alternative to my Padraig bet at St Lytham next week. Shold go well in Scotland also.

this week.....

Scottish Open OUTRIGHT

Mikael Lundberg 200/1  £5e/w

John Deere Classic

Johnny Vegas 80/1  1st round leader  £5 e/w   Outright  80/1   £ 5e/w

both guys above in £5 e/w pie in the sky life changing outright e/w double. sure why not dream eh?
  • edited July 2012
    Grrrr I don't want to be labeled a fav' backer. But Strickers' course form aided by a better showing last week and a weak field. And Donald trying to defend again ala Wentworth. Both are very strong favs. Backing both equals a 7/1 winner if one cops. The double a nice 71/1. Also backing Oosthuisen and Pettersson ew singles and double. Gl everyone. 
  • edited July 2012
    lots of contributors on this thread now :)

lets hope 1 of us has the winner(s) covered.

Think I'll give the 1st Rnd Leader market a miss this week, too tilting for me when u go close.
  • edited July 2012

Bit late for the Scottish open but these are my long shots for the John Deere.

1st Round Leaders.

John Daly       £ 1.00 e/w @ 100/1
    Brian Davis     £ 1.00 e/w @ 66/1

Overall
    Ben Crane      £ 2.00 e/w @ 50/1
    Chez Reavie   £ 2.00 e/w @ 66/1
    Kyle Stanley    £ 2.00 e/w @ 50/1
    Mark Wilson    £ 1.00 e/w @ 80/1

Good Luck Everyone.

• edited July 2012
    Good to see my pick for the last 2 weeks and my pick for next week is -10 thru 15 holes today.

nfmlnf;sdnf;lbgj;kfbg;lkjfgjnflkjdgnlkjrthgtkrjhypitoyjpehomn[o560ijummhj[o
  • edited July 2012
    Gone for Mannessero myself.    -4 in play.       40-1 !!!!!
    stuck 25ew on him.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Scottish Open + John Deere) Years Profit: -£181.00:
    Sean O'Hair and John Senden both £2.50 e/w @ 40/1 in the John Deere. Not sure whether or not to donate to the Scottish Open,decide later in the week. Gl all edit:backed Dyson,Stenson and Lawrie for a fiver each,only cos the post tipped 'em and fancied a bit of interest.
    Posted by jackda
    Jackda.

Hope you have gone for Peter Lawrie not Paul Lawrie.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Scottish Open + John Deere) Years Profit: -£181.00:
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Scottish Open + John Deere) Years Profit: -£181.00 : Jackda. Hope you have gone for Peter Lawrie not Paul Lawrie.
    Posted by ALFIE123
    tbh I just wrote P Lawrie on me slip and the staff in my billy hills are pretty thick so if he wins should get paid.Although I did take the price and mean Paul.
    Just hoping Molinari has a mare today.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Scottish Open + John Deere) Years Profit: -£181.00 : tbh I just wrote P Lawrie on me slip and the staff in my billy hills are pretty thick so if he wins should get paid.Although I did take the price and mean Paul. Just hoping Molinari has a mare today.
    Posted by jackda
    LOL
    Not  bad idea - I,ve noticed this on previous events with Hansen and some other popular names

I,m saving my money for the biggie nxt week in Lytham - Going on the Saturday but cant beleive how much the prices have gone up . I missed the last one but been to a few and seem to remember a cpl of years ago being £35 - now £65 for tournament days

Just doing my bets now but sure i,ve already backed someone - I remember posting on here but i fancy Harrington, Westwood and Mickleson (just for the fact he can pull pull birdie runs off on any course as shown today)

EDIT _ Already backed Harrington for a tenner at 20,s
    WAs tempted to wait for T off times and see the weather forecast but will risk th eearly prices and maybe have a cpl more bets the once the T off times and weather forecast have been announced
    Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    The Open Championship 2012
    Phil MickelsonWinner 42£4.00£164.00
    Bet Ref: 20914930934M Bet matched: 2012-07-13T23:22:44.000Z
    Lee WestwoodWinner 18£5.00£85.00
  • edited July 2012
    [QUOTE Simon Dyson 60/1 e.w . What's not to like about Simon Dyson at these odds! I'm not bothered about his missed cust in France last week as he's missed the cut there for the last 4 years. Coming back from injury, the more significant result was his 10th place finish in Ireland 2 weeks ago, his best result in 2012. Consider Simon Dyson has won the Dunhill Links (and a 5th), won the KLM Open 3 times played on a links type course usually in generally windy conditions, for a player returning to full fitness and coming into form, 60/1 ew looks overly priced.

Just noticed this stand out price at Skybet for the Open nxt week ( Got my biggest win in Golf at last years by putting £2 on D Clarke at 150/1 and then when he got a birdie managed to get another £2 on before the prices changed ) but Dyson has  to be worth a look at 125,s - He,s only 120/1 on the exchanges
    SelectionOddsStakeReturns Maximum potential returns including stake amount.ReceiptMore
     Simon DysonOutright Winner: Open 2012 Outright125/1 + £5.00£630.00 
  • edited July 2012
    Gone for Mannessero myself.    -4 in play.       40-1 !!!!! stuck 25ew on him.
    Posted by 1267
    Don,t want to bock it , but looking like a nice bet

EDIT : Just watching the Scottish Open - Last bet before nxt week
    The Open Championship 2012
    Francesco MolinariWinner 50£3.00£147.00
  • edited July 2012
    In play for a bit of interest in the Scottish Open
    Scottish Open 2012
    Martin LairdWinner 36£2.00£70.00
  • edited July 2012
    Just noticed this stand out price at Skybet for the Open nxt week ( Got my biggest win in Golf at last years by putting £2 on D Clarke at 150/1 and then when he got a birdie managed to get another £2 on before the prices changed ) but Dyson has  to be worth a look at 125,s - He,s only 120/1 on the exchanges Selection Odds Stake Returns Maximum potential returns including stake amount. Receipt More   Simon Dyson Outright Winner: Open 2012 Outright 125/1  + £5.00 £630.00  
    Posted by MP33

Yes, I saw Dyson 125/1, as is my other tip this week, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, so I've taken the price on both for next weeks Open.
  • edited July 2012
    Gonna try a tenner e/w double on Donald @ 14/1 and Johnson @ 11/2 for interest.
  • edited July 2012
    Mob handed for the Open have had a few touches on other bets through account  so freerolling and have the winner and at least 2 of those behind I am that confident!!!! So have backed 10 in varying stakes

In order of preference, in positions they will finish (drum roll please...........)

10. Anders Hansen
    9. Thomas Bjorn
    8. Pablo Larrazabal
    7 Bo Van Pelt
    6 Martin Laird
    5 Harris English
    4 Rafa Cabrera - Bello
    3 Ernie Els
    2 Phil Mickleson
    1 PADRAIG PADRAIG PADRAIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
  • edited July 2012
    For the record I reckon the 30's on offer for oul lefty are immense, as big as 33/1 elsewhere, need gobbled up
  • edited July 2012
    I am going for Phil Mickleson, somebody up the pub tonight said he finished 2nd in this last year and is a good bet at 30/1
    I have also done Francesco Molinari 29/1
    and Justin Rose 31/1

Plus sky bet are offering 10/1 for the outright winner to come from Mickleson,Molinari and Rose(3 chances to win@10/1)
  • edited July 2012
    Going for Poulter as my main bet this week. Taking the 50's ew now with Blue Square  as I've a sneaky feeling the Post might tip him up. Also taking the 18's that P Power offering on Donald win only. 3rd bet Mahan @ 50/1 ew. I'll have a dabble on Westy win only with whatever firm are biggest come Weds. If any of my picks drift before Thurs I'll go in again on them. 
  • edited July 2012
    Doing a few little bets on long odds this week. This type of course can throw up some random winners, as shown last year.

Only "Short" odds I've gone for is Molinari. I think he is strong enough to bounce back and win after what happened yesterday. 28/1

The rest I have done £2.50 e/w

Alex Noren 100/1
    Jamie Donaldson - 125/1
    Pablo Larrazabel - 250/1