You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input. Yeah I really wasn't too down about it after it all happened. This is exactly why I insisted on having a big bankroll when everyone was telling me I was being too nitty, because with a bit of runbad this can happen.

As Dohhhhh said to me last night... 'everyone says a recreational player should have 20BIs, and you've just lost that in less than a week'.

As for the leaving the table, to be honest I am a firm believer in the fact you should never leave a table purely based on your results whether it be a big win or a big loss. The only good reasons to leave a table IMO are

1) You want to stop playing, you've got something else to do/somewhere else to be.

2) You can't beat the table you're sat at.

3) You're not playing your A game/you're tilting.

None of these 3 factors were true last, then towards the end of my session factor 3 happened a bit, and that's why I ended at like 10:30pm instead of my usual midnight. Say I'm playing on a table of fish that I know I am alot better than, I am never gonna leave that table because I'm running bad as long as I'm playing my best game.

@Pipunch, I'm surprised you've asked for HHs cos you're one of the people that posted in my BBV thread lol. I'm not gonna post them on here or in the clinic cos no1 wants to sit and see how I ran big PP into bigger PP, set into bigger set, nut str8 into flush etc etc. But if you want HHs, go look at my 2 threads in BBV, and you'll see in total about 20+ hands played over the last couple of sessions, all of which are either pretty sick outdraws or coolers and the sum total of them pots is around £160 I believe.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £192.56:
     Dohhhhh said to me last night... 'everyone says a recreational player should have 20BIs, and you've just lost that in less than a week'.
    Posted by Lambert180
    ha, bet that was just what you wanted to hear! 

Didn't really think, sorry :(
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £192.56:
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £192.56 : ha, bet that was just what you wanted to hear!  Didn't really think, sorry :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Lol nah was quite useful actually, helped put things in perspective, and in the grand scheme of things, I can't complain too much that I've just went on a sick run, lost 20BIs and still have £200 :)
  • edited October 2012
    you dropping back down then? i personally think you could stay at NL8 until your roll is down to £40 which probably isnt gonna happen
  • edited October 2012
    you dropping back down then? i personally think you could stay at NL8 until your roll is down to £40 which probably isnt gonna happen
    Posted by Pipunch
    Well tonight is a night off, then I'm away at DTD in Nottingham for the weekend. I think I'll be playing another session @ 8NL when I come back next week but if that goes badly then yes I'm moving down.

The odds of me running like this and losing 20BIs are X, the fact I've already done it now, changes nothing, so the odds of me now doing the exact same thing again and losing 20 more BIs are still X. Sadly, running badly in no way means you are going to have a time where you run super good to cancel it out.

So that money is gone now and I need to treat it like this is a fresh start, because it is. Patterns in luck can only be observed in the past tense, you can't estimate how luck will affect something based on previous info if it's just a random event.
  • edited October 2012
    play 20 nl its easier then 8 nl :)
  • edited October 2012
    Pretty sick downswing. No fun at all, but it's the nature of the game I suppose. You'll come back, best of luck to you for the 6-max SPT.
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    personally i think then even by your bankroll requirements you could lose another £100 before even considering going near 4NL
  • edited October 2012
    Wow what a sickening few sessions you've had! A few good sessions and you'll easily win it back. 

Good luck and enjoy your weekend mate.
  • edited October 2012
    It happens to us all, but your memory sometimes get jaded after we have lost so many bi's
    Sometimes I'll think, that guy just got so luck and it's not untill I look through the HH I tink omg I played it so bad.

just run through you HH's and be honest with yourself, forget everyone else on here and be true to yourself

if your happy that you played good then no problem, siht happens.

If your in doubt then ask someone else to look over your hands.

you can win it back - I do D
  • edited October 2012
    While big swings can happen it's quite alarming to see such a big swing in a short amount of time @ 8nl and I don't think you can attribute it all to variance.
    Some of your table selection seems a bit silly for example playing 3 handed with scotty77 and liamboi is just not going to be +EV. Forget grinding C4P's your not going to get near the top 20 at 8nl!

• edited October 2012
    Again, thanks for all the replies, I'll try to cover all the points...

@IDCU - Just sigh lol.

@Gary - Cheers, yeah I have more confidence in my ability than I think I've ever had, even despite how confidence damaging downswings like this can be. I don't doubt for a second that with a bit of time and effort, I'll be back to where I was before long.

@Pipunch - Well we'll have to see, but fingers crossed this run aint gonna continue, so I won't have to worry about it.

@Splashies - Cheers mate. Don't worry, I know I'll get it back. At times it's given my confidence a bashing but I know I'm good enough to win it all back and more.

@Rancid - Yeah I know what you mean. The selective memory happens to me all the time during the session, but I always look through my HHs from every session and try to be very honest with myself. I've no problem with admitting that during this period I've lost some money down to spewing and just pure donkey style play, but it is definitely the cause of the minority of my losses, and not the majority. The hands I have lost through bad play, there's literally no point posting in the clinic cos I already know where I went wrong. I'd be grateful if you had a quick peek at the hands in the two links I posted above and see if you think any of them actually aren't coolers or bad bad beats

@NColley - Yeah it is certainly alarming, and it definitely isn't all variance, but I can honestly say that I think a massive majority of it is variance. I know what your saying about table selection, although at 8NL you literally are lucky if there are 6 tables running so every single time I play I'm on every table running so no real option for table selection other than to play some 4NL instead or only play 2-3 tables. Both of these are options, and maybe ones I should have taken but that did only contribute to a very small amount of the losses.
  • edited October 2012
    Just noticed you posted on my BBV thread NColley, cheers for that. Yeah I think of all the hands, the KK is probably the least cooler/bad beatish of them all. I still think I'm good in that spot a fair amount of the time but it's not completely standard.

The QT v Liamboi - I flat the 3bet pre cos I know he will 3bet me when I raise from the SB with a VERY wide range. I did C/C the flop with the intention of making a move a turn and knowing that as a back-up I was very likely to be good if I hit either of my 2 others or the GS. You probably have a point abuot just calling as appose to c/r allin but I think with the dynamic there's plenty of hands he'll call with that I beat.
  • edited October 2012
    i think you need to take into account what scotty77 said on another thread the other day. it's no big crime to say 'there's only 3 tables of 8NL running, and 2 of them are bad tables for me so i'll play 1 8NL and 5 4NL'

you're easily better than 99% of the people on micros cause at least you try to think about the game

i'm not the greatest player but i make 90% of my money by playing people that are worse than me. on this site it's pretty much every table but on some others i have to table select really carefully otherwise i get put in spots i can't handle
  • edited October 2012
    i think you need to take into account what scotty77 said on another thread the other day. it's no big crime to say 'there's only 3 tables of 8NL running, and 2 of them are bad tables for me so i'll play 1 8NL and 5 4NL' you're easily better than 99% of the people on micros cause at least you try to think about the game i'm not the greatest player but i make 90% of my money by playing people that are worse than me. on this site it's pretty much every table but on some others i have to table select really carefully otherwise i get put in spots i can't handle
    Posted by Pipunch
    Cheers, definitely a good point mate, and something I must have missed Ryan saying. I've probably underestimated the difference between making bigger profits in terms of BBs at lower stakes than grinding out small profits at bigger stakes. I don't think the promo has helped because there's so few 8NL tables as it is and they are getting pretty reg heavy recently, and when you get tables full of nitty micro stakes regs most of the big pots will be coolers, and it just happens that I've been on the bad end of the coolers all the time for a good few days.

Even as big a BR nit as I am, I'd have probably been better playing 10NL where there's like 20 tables going at night rather than 8NL and surrounded by nits on a handful of tables.

I never was good at table selection, but when I come back after the weekend, will deffo be paying more attention to whose on the table first.
  • edited October 2012
    if all else fails get a forum cash game going at 4NL. ridiculously +EV. sit and wait for any pair lol
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks everyone for the helpful and encouraging comments.

Was a nice break on the weekend, and great to meet a few new faces like EvilPingu, Bearlyther and Macapaca to name a few. I didn't play the ME, but I did play their turbo tourney on the Saturday night, was really happy with how I played but only managed 40th out of 128. I find it so much easier to figure out people's 'image' live than I do online, and apart from 1 or 2 players it was a super tight table so I was really bullying once the antes got involved. Did have someone have a go at me (I just lol'd) because it came to me unopened on the button, I've got like 11,000, and it's 600/1200/100 so nearly 3k in the middle already, I jam 96o, BB dwells for ages then calls with AK lol and flop comes 66x, nice double up there. But god it's SO much easier to accumlate chips with antes!!

Anyways, I've took all your advice on board and also got some good advice from Ryan at DTD too so cheers for that. I've got the roll, the confidence and the skill to build my roll back up so I'm still more than happy with my situation. After all, it only took me about 8 weeks to go from £170 to £350, so it's no biggie.

I'll be playing mostly 4NL and the 5p/5p action tables at the moment, but just going where the good games are from now on (as long as they're within my roll). Played my first session since my -10BI session and glad to say I made a profit even if it wasn't huge. I played 4x 5p/5p and 2x 4NL for 2 hours and made £9.80

Hands Played:     39,156
    Bankroll:              £202.36
    Profit/Loss:      -£9.67
    Poker Points:      923 (£7.38)

So a good start to come back to which is always nice. Should probably cross the 1k C4P next session, obviously not considering the cash promo any more but want entry to the 5k freeroll, and I won't say no to a few free BIs at the end of the month (probably gonna get about £20 C4P me thinks)
  • edited October 2012
    well done comin back refreshed and have a winning session m8 no be long till your back 8/10nl don`t think.

also how good are the spt`s never been but really need to get to one quite fancy the dublin one this year.
  • edited October 2012
    They really are brilliant Liam. I've played a few of the actual SPTs which has been good, but I've also been to a few where I haven't satellited and have just played some side events and met some of the forum regs. Good to put a name to faces and there's just tons of friendly folk you'll meet like TommyD, JingleMa, GregHogg, Scotty77, Andrew1947, I could go on all day, but you get the point.

• edited October 2012
    Well don't I feel like a complete tool! My account balance was correct last night so it turns out it was just a horrible session. I must have went wrong with my calculations somewhere but I was convinced that it was at least a break even session if not a small profit, but somehow got it completely wrong and I made a loss of £26.22

What a donkey, both for losing 5BIs (was playing most 5p/5p) and for miscalculating so badly lol. I really don't know how I made that much of a loss but them's the facts :s

Hands Played:     40,836
    Bankroll:              £176.14
    Profit/Loss:      -£35.89
    Poker Points:      1015 (£10.15)

Really frustrating to have made a big loss and not even realise it lol... only upside is that I got over the 1000 points mark so I got entry to the 5k freeroll... just need to bink in that to get my losses back :p

Oh well, roll on next session!
  • edited October 2012
    Where you at the SPT on the weekend Paul?
  • edited October 2012
    Yes I was at SPT, somehow I didn't manage to see you once all day but very well played on going as deep as you did.

Just a short session for me tonight, about 1hr 30 mins of 6tabling 4NL. No I didn't just lock up a profit, I've just got other stuff to do tonight. Made a £9.76 profit, so some of last night's losses back. Gonna be sticking round the 4NL tables til i get some confidence/winning sessions together.

Hands Played:     41,556
    Bankroll:              £185.90
    Profit/Loss:      -£26.13
    Poker Points:      1040 (£10.40)
  • edited October 2012
    I knew that you would be there but didnt see you at all.

Thanks mate. It was such a great weekend.

Were you wearing the team's tshirt?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £202.36:
    Well don't I feel like a complete tool! My account balance was correct last night so it turns out it was just a horrible session.
    Posted by Lambert180
    A few weeks back this happened to me.

I was convinced my account balance was short by about £40 after a cash session.

I added up all pots above £1 won and lost, accounted for mtt buy ins and cashes, and it just didn't add up.

I exchanged 5/6 emails with CC, who insisted everything was in order.

I just let it go, I wasn't gonna get anywhere!. I'm still not convinced, how can I lose £40 worth of pots under £1? (including ones I won too!!)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • edited October 2012
    Played for about 1hr 30 mins of 6tabling 4NL again tonight, and made a profit of £13.72. A nice profit but shame it wasn't slightly bigger thanks to a couple of hands at the end. I had a guy on my table who was just open shoving any old junk for like 30-40xBB, I snapped him off twice, AK v KT and AQ v A8 and lost both of them... sigh :(

But hey can't complain at winning just over 3BIs in 1hr 30 mins. Just pennies short of the £200 mark again.

Hands Played:     42,276
    Bankroll:              £199.62
    Profit/Loss:       -£12.41
    Poker Points:      1066 (£10.66)

Poker points are going up depressingly slow nowadays but that's low on the list of priorities atm and at leat I've already made £10+
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £185.90:
    Played for about 1hr 30 mins of 6tabling 4NL again tonight, and made a profit of £13.72. A nice profit but shame it wasn't slightly bigger thanks to a couple of hands at the end. I had a guy on my table who was just open shoving any old junk for like 30-40xBB, I snapped him off twice, AK v KT and AQ v A8 and lost both of them... sigh :( But hey can't complain at winning just over 3BIs in 1hr 30 mins. Just pennies short of the £200 mark again. Hands Played:     42,276 Bankroll:              £199.62 Profit/Loss:       -£12.41 Poker Points:      1066 (£10.66) Poker points are going up depressingly slow nowadays but that's low on the list of priorities atm and at leat I've already made £10+
    Posted by Lambert180

good goin m8 just keep those winning sessions in and dont worry about the points.Also when you movin back to 8/10nl then any ideas like £240 start playin 8nl again something like that?

• edited October 2012
    Cheers Liam, yeah I'll probably be dipping my toe in the water of 8NL again around the £240 mark, but this time round I'll be table selecting much better, so if there's only 2 x 8NL tables that aren't reg filled then I'll only play them two and have some 4NL or 5p/5p on the side.

Played the Friday Rebuy ME tonight because I was very kindly given a free entry by Tikay/Sky for doing all the scores for Ryan's cash grinding comp on Mondays. Ryan was also a generous chap so thanks all :)

Had a really good run tonight, and thought it was could have been my night to finally bink a big cash in an MTT but sadly it was not to be. Last time I checked before my exit I was 42nd out of 88 players, and had about 18k @ 250/500, but I had no intentions of trying to just sneak into the cash, so I was pretty happy to 3bet jam all in with TT... sadly they had KK :(

Oh well, it's not all bad, I had some fun, it was nice to not play cash for once and I got 10 poker points so that's 10p banked ;) lol.
  • edited October 2012
    Keep going Lamb.

I admire your ability to take a beat at micros, and be able to move down and start grinding again w/o showing much tilt. You have the nuts in terms of the mental aspect of the game, and if you carry on playing and improving your game like I'm sure you will, then you'll probs be a v.v.v.sick high limit player.