You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Cheers Percy! Dohhh has said the same in the past about me having the nuts when it comes to the mental aspects, like tilt control, BRM, discipline etc. We've had many a discussion about how it drives me mad and just generally confuses me when I hear of people who have the technical skills and just mess up the other bits.

If i had the technical ability to crush the games, or rather, when I get the technical ability I will be sick :p

Just seems like such a horrible waste when there's people who crush the game and can't get the bits that IMO are a piece of p*ss like BRM right. That bit is easy, you say you need X amount to play X level, and you do it, zero skill involved. It's the skillful bit I struggle with lol. I'd give anything to have the technical skill and yet there's plenty who have it, and completely waste it by doing some things that are just plain stupid.
  • edited October 2012
    I won't go into why but an interesting turn of events meant I had $20 in my account on Stars, and as I was at my mums for tonight and can't multi-table on her laptop, thought I'd have a bit of a splash about on there.

I managed to keep up my habit of being unable to lose on Stars lol.. playing some $1.50 Hypers and won a couple of dollars, then finally unlocked $10 of my welcome bonus, then played a $1 9-man BH and took that down for about $5, then fancied some PLO so played a 10-man 50/50 PLO for $1.50, managed to come 2nd in that for $2.93

So all in all, turned my $20 into $40 and had a nice refreshing break from playing cash! :)
  • edited October 2012
    Keep grinding away mate it will turn soon :) your good enough to grind this up
  • edited October 2012
    hi mate good grind was reading for some inspiration for my new challenge how do you find out how many hands you played?
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £199.62:
    hi mate good grind was reading for some inspiration for my new challenge how do you find out how many hands you played?
    Posted by DrRunGood
    Well my hand numbers aren't 100% accurate but it's as close as can be given the amount of time I'm willing to put into finding out (not much) lol. Basically I have a spreadsheet to track all my cash results and this spreadsheet just works it out for me based on the fact I estimate you will play 80 hands per hour online. So I just put my number of tables and amount of time played and it does the maths... obviously sometimes it's less than 80 per hour, and sometimes more, but I think it's pretty close to 80 on average.
  • edited October 2012
    Sigh... getting pretty annoyed with how bad I'm running recently on Sky. Played 2 hours of 4NL, things went really well for about 1hr 50 mins, then in the last 10 mins I had...

QQ v AA
    KK v JT
    AK v JJ
    AA v JJ
    AK v QQ

4 out of 5 of them were for full BIs, all of them aipf, and I lost all of them. So was a good session til that happened lol, but ended up finishing £11.28 down for the night

Hands Played:     43,236
    Bankroll:              £188.34
    Profit/Loss:       -£23.69
    Poker Points:      1122 (£11.22)
  • edited October 2012
    Page 5 I was on which means I must be turning into Doh... bad results = no updates, sigh

Things haven't been too bad on Sky to be honest, haven't played much, got a freebie into the Friday Main and ended up busting about 8 off the cash getting it in AK v QQ and not binking... sigh, that's 2 freebies into the Friday ME in the last month, and twice I've just missed out on a cash. Was annoying because I was 4th out of 61 (top 40 cash) and just lost a bunch of races v shortys round bubble time, then lost my flip above when I was the shorty.

Donked off my moniez on  *s... had about $40, dropped to $30 on Hypers, then started playign 10NL Zoom, was doing really well was up a couple of BIs towards the start, then lost my profit through just some standard flips, coolers and outdraws. Played a few hands I shouldnt to win back my profit, then tilt donked off the rest, was only 3 BIs and was freerolling, sighz

Since then, played a few MTTs, few HU Hypers (can't help myself lol), a 4man HU SnGs on Sky. Ended up with a very small profit from these.

Not played any cash for ages now cos just really not been feeling like sitting down for long periods of pokering, hence why it's mostly been Hypers. Will get back into the grind sometime soon though. So none of my stats have changed apart from my bankroll increasing VERY slightly and my poker points, but won't be updating profit/loss and that figure only includes cash.

Hands Played:     43,236
    Bankroll:              £189.34
    Profit/Loss:       -£23.69
    Poker Points:      1169 (£11.69)

Now I got that out the way, think I'm gonna relax with some xbox.
  • edited October 2012
    i just dont understand why your bankroll is what it is???

You clearly know what your talking about and give sound advice in the poker clinic, i doesnt make sense.

My only thinking is that the micros might be a harder way to grind because people are more inclined to call with any 2 due to the low stakes.  Now i may get burned for this but i think you should go up a leel or two where the poker is more "uniformed"?

Trying not to sound like a douchebag btw and im def not trying to degrade micro players in any way.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £189.34:
    i just dont understand why your bankroll is what it is??? You clearly know what your talking about and give sound advice in the poker clinic, i doesnt make sense. My only thinking is that the micros might be a harder way to grind because people are more inclined to call with any 2 due to the low stakes.  Now i may get burned for this but i think you should go up a leel or two where the poker is more "uniformed"? Trying not to sound like a douchebag btw and im def not trying to degrade micro players in any way.
    Posted by mewillows
    Thanks for the compliment Jamie. You wouldn't believe how many really good, solid players (I'm including you in that group) who know my game have said they can't believe why my results aren't better!

I'm considering upping stakes a little bit, but lowering my number of tables. I know I definitely play alot better on like 2-3 tables than I do on 6 when I can focus more.

But yeah, so many good players have said the same as you.
  • edited October 2012
    have to be careful though - i pushed for dev to up stakes during his challenge - for all the right reasons - but he was hit by the absolute worst downswing ever when he tried it. bad timing, maybe, who knows why, but it certainly happened. fortunately dev was smart enough to retreat to his comfort zone and grind it back from there.

no reason to doubt you couldn't crush the higher levels, but you are very focused on brm and that's not a bad thing.

gl & expect to see a nice profit spurt as & when it wants to happen.
  • edited October 2012
    I see you've been playing nl10 (clinic hands), any success? Are we still doing this profit challenge? I stopped posting my updates when you hit the skids, but hopefully you're back on track now?  I'll give my figures below, I've played nl10 for the whole of October. Managed 2.8k c4p too which gives me 27th in promo, not bad considering I only play couple hours a day. 

nl10 stats
    hands: 30,773
    profit: £236.67
    win rate: 7.69bb/100

Overall Hands: 48,268
    Overall Profit: £434.67

I'm really pleased with how the month went, especially with Rancid, TINTIN and EvilPingu hogging all the tables. 

I'm moving house over next few days, but when I get internet set up etc I'll give nl20 a crack.

• edited October 2012
    Cheers for the advice Geldy

I'll give a proper update tomorrow when I'm not tired but for now just a quick one so I can reply to you Splashies. In short, no I am not back on track at all, I have had a really horrible couple of weeks, I just can't win a single hand, I think over the last 3-4 sessions I've won 1 pot that was over 50xBB. Everytime I make a hand, they've already made a bigger one, or manage to make a bigger one by the river.

Definitely some bad play in the mix too through tilt, but I'm just getting smacked in the face by variance and just can't get going in any of my sessions. I'm getting completely owned by the regs like LiamBoi and Rancid, and it doesn't help when LiamBoi picks up AA when I get KK.

Anywayz, tonight was kinda the final straw, I was just sick to death of getting butchered by variance, so what's the best thing to do in these bad patches, when you're tilting.... jump up stakes and play really high variance games obv!! lol.

So went on tilt and started with £5 Hypers, won a few, lost a few, about break even, so I go on massive monkey tilt even more and thought I'd whack on some £11 Hypers instead lol. Played 5 games against Spad3s and seriously ran like god, I mean I literally won every single race even things like K3 v AK  and A2  v A8.    Sorry mate!

So I played 5 of them, and won 5. I also had a £3.30 Scary SnG running on the side which I won for £13.50.

My bankroll after this escapade is now back up to £160.90 and it'll make you see how bad things were when I tell you that being back up to £160 is a great result!!

Earned a few poker points too lol... finish the month on 1374 so £13.74

Hopefully this has gotten it all out of my system and I can come back to cash with a clear head for November. Will be playing 10NL (more to come about my new BRM etc in a post tomorrow)

So there you have it, even the bigger BR nit, and most disciplined nitty player on the site can still go on crazy monkey tilt sometimes :)
  • edited November 2012
    Never got round to making that post I said I would, been really lazy with the diary recently. But basically, I've decided that I'll be playing 10NL from now on because I believe my game is easily good enough to beat it and finally admitted to myself that I'm way nittier with my BR than I would be about the same money in real life. Like me and Emma do pretty well for ourselves, and I know that even if I did runbad/play bad for a while at 10NL and lost my roll, it's not really that big a deal and I can easily top up.

I've been a bit obsessed with not re-depositing because it is good I've lasted like 2-3 years without having to deposit on here, but playing at low stakes, with high rake for ages  is just slowing down my development. So in essence, I can comfortably afford to play higher, so I am.

Won't be depositing any extra, just keep what I got and see how I go.

================================================================================

Now I got that out the way... I seem to have really lost my patience in cash poker recently.

I went back to cash again tonight, was going ok, slowly chipping away, winning a few small pots, then boom a few coolers and bad beats took me from a few quid up to 3BIs down. I wanted to carry on playing poker but just knew I wasn't in the right mindset to have the patience to wait for hands etc....

So I did what I did the other night and went back to my old hunting ground, the hypers lol... but £11s. Played 14 and won 10 for a £53 profit, so got my 3 BIs back +£20.

So my last 2 sessions have went like this roughly like this...

Lost £20 on cash, won £50 on Hypers
    Lost £33 on cash, won £53 on Hypers

Aint updated for ages but the profit/loss for my cash is now pretty horrendous. I'm just so sick of getting butchered, but I know I am definitely playing well with no tilt since I started 10NL again (I've left as soon as I felt any tilt) so I know it'll turn at some point.

Hands Played:     45,036
    Bankroll:              £180.04  (still got £13.74 C4P to come)
    Profit/Loss:       -£123.79
    Poker Points:      115

• edited November 2012
    I kept meaning to mention it the week leading up to it but forgot (I definitely have issues with my memory), but today was my birthday, and I'm now 26... still clinging on to my mid-twenties.

Emma had the day all sorted in advance, her mum had the kids, we went to see Skyfall and then went to an all you can eat chinese. Firstly, I have to say that Skyfall really wsa pretty great, we're not talking greatest films of all time kinda great, but as James Bond films go, it was most definitely up there.  I won't give any spoilers but it is definitely worth going to see.

I've thought it over a few times and after Skyfall, I definitely think Daniel Craig has taken the lead and is now the best Bond. Granted it's a very different Bond to the ones of old, a bit more 'gritty' etc, and just a generally more much believable chartacter imo. This is partly thanks to the writing of the last 3 bond films but still think he pips Connery to the post now.

And the litmus test... Emma has a really short attention span and generally hates sitting through most films over 2 hours, this was 2hr 30 mins and she said it flew by. Just a thoroughly enjoyable good old fashioned action film.

The all you can eat chinese was decent, one MAJOR downfall.... what chinese doesn't have curry sauce?!! Apparently the lunch menu isn't as good as the dinner menu though so I'll let them off a bit lol. All you can eats suit me down to the ground though cos I have an endless stomach.

One of the prezzies Emma got me that I'm most looking forward to getting into is a poker book called 'Kill Everyone' with commentary from Elky. Had a quick flick through so far and it looks really good. I haven't read a new poker book in ages so should be good.

Has anyone read this before, how did you find it? IMO any input from Elky can't be bad!

Also Emma made me a chocolate fudge cake so satisfy my massive sweet tooth...

Feeling like playing some poker tonight, but not really sure what to play yet, fingers crossed things are a bit more smooth if I do play and not so much relying on crushing Hypers to keep me going.
  • edited November 2012
    happy birthday m8 hope ya had a good day
  • edited November 2012
    Nice win for the freebie to the Primo

• edited November 2012
    Cheers Wujiale, although I think it was only a freebie for the Primo mini, but hey don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that. I'll have to get reading my new book and see if I can put some of my new found knowledge to use.

Didn't update last night just cos I was really tired.  Ended up playing a few Hypers thinking I'd just get a couple in before deciding what to play... turned out I just played them all night. I forgot how bad the rake was on the Hypers, sigh. Was only playing £5s this time

I'm a little confused cos according to my records I won 47 and lost 44 which is a loss of £30.50 but my BR has only went from £180.04 to £161.79

And I've just realised while writing this that it's Monday and I have probably got my C4P today which explains the above (I think it adds up). Racked up a few C4P on the old Hypers last night which is nice.

I will be going back to cash, but just been feeling a bit bored with it recently and it's a recipe for disaster if I sit down to play it and can't even be bothered.

Bankroll:              £161.79
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£123.79
    Poker Points:      394
  • edited November 2012
    Don't think you will have received your c4p yet. Hasn't been 5 working days.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £180.04:
    Don't think you will have received your c4p yet. Hasn't been 5 working days.
    Posted by percival09
    I did think it seemed a bit early, cos with the weekend it's barely been 2-3 working days. I hope you're right, cos then I messed up my calcs last night and only lost £19 lol and considering I thought it was a bad session @ £5s and earned almost £5 in C4P, that's not bad.
  • edited November 2012
    You know me... nitty to the end, so it's been wrecking my head about the whole incorrect calcs thing on my Hypers lol. Then it occured to me on the drive home from work that I worked it out with the wrong rake. Usually what I do is...

47 (wins) X profit per game =  UP

44 (lost) X loss per game   =   DOWN

Take wins away from losses and voila!

For some reason last night I thought the rake was 10% (which would be ridic even by Sky's standards lol) so I did...

47 X £4.50 =  +£211.50

44 X £5.50 =  -£242.00

= Loss of £30.50

BUT the rake is 5% so it should have been

47 X £4.75 = +£223.25

44 X £5.25 = -£231.00

= Loss of £7.75

Which means I obviously counted the number of games wrong lol. But oh well. Didn't even get a birthday bonus from Sky, how bad do I run ;) lol.

Well I've been talked into playing the DTD tonight so I'll update later when I win one :)

• edited November 2012
    Didn't update last night.

I played the DTD, nothing special happened really, built up a decent stacks in both the deepstacks then think I just had my foot on the gas a bit too much, took a couple of races I maybe didn't need to and lost them so £5.50 down there.

Then played a few Hypers, won 9, lost 9, sighaments @ just paying Sky rake again. So down £4.50

Played some more Hypers tonight, won 10, lost 7 so bit better. Profit of £10.75

Bankroll:              £162.54
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£123.79
    Poker Points:      504 (£4.03)

Broke the 500 point barrier super early in the month which is always nice. Don't worry btw, I haven't completely ditched cash, the journey is still on, was just having a few days of playing some other stuff, cos just losing session after session of cash gets pretty boring imo... at least losing at Hypers is exciting lol.
  • edited November 2012
    Total sighaments... went back to 10NL again, and the runbad hasn't went anywhere, just cannot believe how bad I'm running and for how long. Lost another £33 and here are a few bad beats for you all to enjoy lol. I've held off posting them for a while, but just can't believe how unlucky I am!

Flop the nuts, and even redraws to get even nuttier but it aint enough...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £10.31
    farrier1 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £19.37
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

sofalout Fold        
    leaker Fold        
    gareth1969 Fold        
    TEEPEEQ Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £10.51
    Lambert180 Call   £0.25 £0.70 £10.06
    farrier1 Fold        
    Flop

• K

Lambert180 Check        
    TEEPEEQ Bet   £0.35 £1.05 £10.16
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.90 £1.95 £9.16
    TEEPEEQ Call   £0.55 £2.50 £9.61
    Turn

Lambert180 Bet   £1.60 £4.10 £7.56
    TEEPEEQ Call   £1.60 £5.70 £8.01
    River

Lambert180 All-in   £7.56 £13.26 £0.00
    TEEPEEQ Call   £7.56 £20.82 £0.45
    Lambert180 Show
    • Q
    • J

TEEPEEQ Show

TEEPEEQ Win Full House, 10s and 9s £19.42   £19.87
    Boom! another chance to win a big pot and get ahead for the session... oh wait
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sofalout Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £25.38
    leaker Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £5.25
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Le_chifre Call   £0.10 £0.25 £9.83
    TEEPEEQ Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £10.28
    farrier1 Call   £0.40 £1.05 £20.73
    sofalout Fold        
    leaker Call   £0.30 £1.35 £4.95
    Le_chifre Call   £0.30 £1.65 £9.53
    Flop

• Q

leaker Check        
    Le_chifre Bet   £0.83 £2.48 £8.70
    Lambert180 Call   £0.83 £3.31 £9.45
    farrier1 Fold        
    leaker Raise   £1.66 £4.97 £3.29
    Le_chifre Call   £0.83 £5.80 £7.87
    Lambert180 All-in   £9.45 £15.25 £0.00
    leaker All-in   £3.29 £18.54 £0.00
    Le_chifre Fold        
    Lambert180 Unmatched bet   £5.33 £13.21 £5.33
    leaker Show
    • K

Lambert180 Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

River

leaker Win Flush to the King £12.21   £12.21
    Hands Played:     45,276
    Bankroll:              £129.32
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£157.01
    Poker Points:      526 (£4.21)

• edited November 2012
    Couldn't be bothered giving the final update last night but after my battering on cash again , I played some hypers, won 11 and lost 9 for a £5 profit. And I got my C4P paid today, so thankfully my BR doesn't look quite as dreadful as it did when I stood from cash last night.

But stubborn and determined as I am, I will not be backing down from the runbad at cash, I know it can't last forever.

I'm playing the 7:15pm £5.20 Sat into tonight's SPT Semi in a bit so fingers crossed on that front. We only got 3 runners and 10 mins to go so get in it people or it won't run!!

Bankroll:              £142.86  (that includes the fact I've bought in to the £5.20 SPT Sat)
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£157.01
    Poker Points:      586 (£4.69)

• edited November 2012
    Binkity bink. There ended up being 6 runners, so 1 seat and 2nd got his BI back (almost). I only went and crushed it ;) So I'm in the Semi tonight for £5.20 at my first time of asking.

I'll forgive Sky for all my cash runbad if I can bink a seat to Luton tonight :)
  • edited November 2012
    Well after late reg the SPT Semi managed to get 21 runners so 4 seats + £22 for 5th and I finished 12th. Pretty frustrating cos things were going well but I don't think I could have done much else with the cards. Stacks were pretty shallow due to the fast blinds, and I called off a V-bet on the river with TPTK (AK) against a flopped set of 2s so that hurt a bit, took me down from like 4k to 2k @ 50/100 but obv still playable, especially in a sat. Then I lost a race against a shorty, then I was the shorty and jammed AT from the BTN into AK on the SB, and that was that.

But oh well, at least I only lost £5.20 and I got 20 poker points for the Semi so that's 20p back ;) lol.

Played a few hypers after obv... won 5, lost 1 so a profit of £18.50 so a positive night overall which is quite a rare thing recently.

Bankroll:              £161.36
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£157.01
    Poker Points:      628 (£5.02)

• edited November 2012
    Well I logged on tonight at 9pm and said to myself, I'm gonna load up some hypers and if I win the first 4 in a row, I'll buy in direct to the SPT Semi... unfortunately I lost my first 1 so that went out the window lol, so just carried on playing them for an hour or two.

I won 22 games, and lost 18 for a £10 profit and another 100ish poker points so another £1 banked there... it all adds up. I'll continue this rule of trying to fund SPT sats through my profits, if it doesn't work out, so be it.

Bankroll:              £171.36
    Profit/Loss:      
    -£157.01
    Poker Points:      748 (£5.98)

• edited November 2012
    awrite m8 you seem to rack up a load of points in those hypers also you enjoy them and you make profit why not stick to playing them this month?
  • edited November 2012
    lambert u ever tried multitabling dyms for £5.50 games u will earn more points doing this then 1 tabling hypers dyms are easy to multi table ?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £180.04:
    awrite m8 you seem to rack up a load of points in those hypers also you enjoy them and you make profit why not stick to playing them this month?
    Posted by liamboi11
    Yeah I do enjoy them, and know I profit from them long term, although they are super swingy!

The reason I don't stick to them is cos I really want to improve at cash, it's the one format I'm most eager to crush.
  • edited November 2012
    lambert u ever tried multitabling dyms for £5.50 games u will earn more points doing this then 1 tabling hypers dyms are easy to multi table ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I don't 1table, I 2table them, and I'd earn more poker points, but that's cos the rake is ridic. And to be honest, I just get too bored with DYMs, but Hypers are always exciting and fun. I also like that cos they only take 3-4 mins, I can come and go as I want, easy to fit in small sessions etc.

AND on top of all that, I just don't think I'm good enough at the end game of DYMs. I do ok at them, but think I'm better at hypers