You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited March 2013
    WOW mucking that hand is sickening lol,

GL anyway
  • edited March 2013
    Dave Shallow is a great player by all accounts
    At first you just think he's a nutcase but he is a very very good player.
    Known as Dubai on another forum you go on
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah Tikay filled me in on a few bits about him AFTER the hand happened, the forum you speak of etc.

Wp both of you for bothering to read it all!

Just about to do a new update in a new post...
  • edited March 2013
    BOOM!!!

6 months ago as you all know I set my target to grind it up from £150 @ 4NL up to 50 BIs for 20NL (£1000) within 12 months, and here we are 6 months ahead of time and the job is done :)

It's a great feeling to look at my account and see a 4 figure sum! I'll probably sort it out tomorrow probably but I'll post up with the new plan (and update the diary title) but the next plan is to grind it up to 50NL.

More details to come but for now, I'm going to get a takeaway for me and the girlfriend. FWIW, here is a big hand from my session earlier which helped me get over the line.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ACEGOONER Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £28.02
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £59.14
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

hipshooter Call   £0.30 £0.75 £46.92
    Lambert180 Raise   £1.20 £1.95 £35.09
    Razazelo Fold        
    ACEGOONER Raise   £3.75 £5.70 £24.27
    DOHHHHHHH Raise   £6.60 £12.30 £52.54
    hipshooter Call   £6.60 £18.90 £40.32
    Lambert180 All-in   £35.09 £53.99 £0.00
    ACEGOONER Fold        
    DOHHHHHHH Fold        
    hipshooter Call   £29.39 £83.38 £10.93
    hipshooter Show
    • Q
    • Q

Lambert180 Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

Turn

River

Lambert180 Win Pair of Kings £81.58   £81.58

Bankroll: £1,008.34
    Poker Points: 970
    (£7.76)
  • edited March 2013
    Congratulations, well played!
  • edited March 2013
    c/c the turn and river there is nothing short of horrendous imo.

Pretty sickening outcome but you can never expect K6 to be good there!!! Just one of those things. VUL
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months --- Massive SPT Update tl;dr ---:
    c/c the turn and river there is nothing short of horrendous imo. Pretty sickening outcome but you can never expect K6 to be good there!!! Just one of those things. VUL
    Posted by Curt360x27

The more I think about it the worse it gets. It's absolutely criminally bad!

• edited March 2013
    Well done Paul, ul last night I was watching the live stream at the time and felt really sick, about that hand.I have done it in a live game before,nothing big, but got into an argument, as I had to lose the pot!
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Paul, first of all well done on hitting your target probably a bit overshadowed by your live story lol it's funny because without context some plays can seem so ridiculous, if someone made that call when you were playing like a small stakes bh you would be like wtf donk how can he call there, but then when you find out it is a very good player and hear the reasoning etc you think wow genius call. A fine line between genius and madness in this game i'm starting to learn lol
  • edited March 2013
    Right, so target number 1 is complete, I've got to £1000 by grinding through micro stakes cash.

Target number 2 begins here. My new aim is to build up to 50 BIs for 50NL (£2500) by the end of 2013. Nothing much is gonna change for the time being, still just playing 20NL and 30NL for the moment, especially as 40NL never seems to run. May take the odd shot @ 50NL when I get to around £1500 but mostly 20NL and 30NL.

Will still obv be playing some MTTs and what not on the side.

So that's 50 x 30NL BIs in the next 9 months to meet my target.

Wish me luck!
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Paul, congrats on smashing your target, from reading your analysis of hands you're definitely a very capable player. Was good to meet you last night at SPT - I wished Rastafish was holding K high when I made a stupid (hero??) call, no he'd lived up to the name and hit the flush on the river. Best of luck with the new plan.
  • edited March 2013

Well done lambert. Good luck on the 2nd challenge!!
  • edited March 2013
    rolled to sit down at 500nl mastercash now.

Sounds like a decent idea
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months --- Massive SPT Update tl;dr ---:
    . Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance ACEGOONER Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £28.02 DOHHHHHHH Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £59.14   Your hole cards K K       hipshooter Call   £0.30 £0.75 £46.92 Lambert180 Raise   £1.20 £1.95 £35.09 Razazelo Fold         ACEGOONER Raise   £3.75 £5.70 £24.27 DOHHHHHHH Raise   £6.60 £12.30 £52.54 hipshooter Call   £6.60 £18.90 £40.32 Lambert180 All-in   £35.09 £53.99 £0.00 ACEGOONER Fold         DOHHHHHHH Fold         hipshooter Call   £29.39 £83.38 £10.93 hipshooter Show Q Q       Lambert180 Show K K       Flop     5 2 3       Turn     7       River     10       Lambert180 Win Pair of Kings £81.58   £81.58 Bankroll: £1,008.34 Poker Points: 9 70 (£7.76 )
    Posted by Lambert180
    Had 63 suited here.

Cold 4 fail :(

Congrats Paul.
  • edited March 2013
    n1 Paul - good luck with the challenge
  • edited March 2013
    CONGRATULATIONS PAUL ON REACHING YOUR TARGET.

it's a nice look seeing 4 figures staring back at you isn't it.
    makes all the hard work worth while.

i'm sure the next few months will be fun too,especially if you start playing at the higher level of nl50

best wishes on reaching your next target.

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    @ Doh - Lol, nice 4bet. I might have saved your bacon after the guy with QQ just flats ;)

@ Rancid - Cheers mate. Here comes the tough bit, it's gonna be way harder beating my way through to 50NL than it was through the micro stakes. P.S. Thanks for completely owning me again this morning lol. Level myself so much against you and the one time I'm actually good calling down with 2nd pr, you bink your set on the river :( One day I'll win a pot off you that's more than about 25xBB !!!

@ Devon - Cheers, yeah it really is a great feeling just seeing 4 figures in my account (and knowing that it aint been at the cost of my bank account to be there). The next few months I suspect will be very tough so think I need all the 'good lucks' I can get ;)

==================================================================================

Got a good length grind in today, combined probably around 3 hours of 6tabling 20NL and 30NL. Started badly, couple of stack offs, one was pretty bad, the other one was V Rancid and that's always gonna be bad. Also lost a AKs v QQ aipf which is pretty standard. Was about -£70 at that point

Then I had to pick my daughter up from preschool. Got back on the grind for another hour or so when I got back and managed to turn it all round to a loss of about £1.80.

Not had a look through the HHs yet but I know there are definitely a few clinic worthy hands in there, so I'll get that sorted later tonight.

Details to be confirmed but I think I'm gonna be going for Priority in April and me and Evil_Pingu have decided to get a small prop bet going to see who can earn the most points in April. FWIW, I earned 212 this morning so need to do about 47 X that to make Priority....

Bankroll: £1,006.55
    Poker Points: 1182
    (£11.82)
  • edited March 2013
    congrats again Paul on this. I'm sure you'll work fine over the rest of time. 

• edited March 2013
    Well Done mate

Was never in doubt

GL

Daz
  • edited March 2013
    congratz dude... 
  • edited March 2013
    Cheers Donald, Daz and TPTP.

• edited March 2013
    Played another 2 hours of 6tabling tonight, 20NL and 30NL.

The first hour was just dreadful, no big losses just steady bleeding, just couldn't hit a flop to save my life and none of my c-bets seemed to work. Took a few pots down with multi-street bluffs but didn't get a chance to value bet postflop once for about an hour. Mega frustrating as well because I had great tables going, hardly any regs, just so many stations, but a station aint ya best friend when you can't hit 1pr ;)

That all turned round in the 2nd hour of the session and I started to hit some flops. I'm pretty happy with the below hand, it was against a very good MTT player (that I didn't even know played cash really) so I knew he had some game. I c-bet standard, then check the turn cos I fancy he's gonna call pretty wide pre being IP and alot of the time he is gonna be flatting the flop, trying to take it off me on later streets and it looks like I've just given up after a failed c-bet.
    Lambert180 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £29.55
    SteamyD Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £29.20
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

Ubbi4820 Fold        
    argo Fold        
    NemesisN1 Fold        
    X Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £29.56
    Lambert180 Raise   £2.65 £4.00 £26.90
    SteamyD Fold        
    X Call   £1.90 £5.90 £27.66
    Flop

• A
    • J

Lambert180 Bet   £3.20 £9.10 £23.70
    X Call   £3.20 £12.30 £24.46
    Turn

Lambert180 Check        
    X Bet   £7.20 £19.50 £17.26
    Lambert180 Call   £7.20 £26.70 £16.50
    River

• A

Lambert180 Check        
    X All-in   £17.26 £43.96 £0.00
    Lambert180 All-in   £16.50 £60.46 £0.00
    X Unmatched bet   £0.76 £59.70 £0.76
    Lambert180 Show
    • Q
    • A

X Show
    • Q

Lambert180 Win Three Aces £57.90   £57.90
    As always, will have a route through for any interesting hands later or more likely tomorrow. Finished +£34.58 for the night.

Bankroll: £1,041.13
    Poker Points: 1285
    (£12.85)
  • edited March 2013
    Just seen that you had hut your target, really brilliant fantastic effort. The fact you have done that from £20 is testamount to your hardwork, skill and knowledge. I bet it's been quite a jouney the highs and the lows.

Really Impressive!!

No idea how long you have been playing on here, but that really is brilliant.

I asked you before, where to after you achieved this, the truth is where ever you want it to take you.

Look forward to seeing you move up the ranks to the very top.

Well done mate
  • edited March 2013
    WD on hitting the 1k mark

I,m sure it will go keep going North if you carry on putting the work in - GL

Pretty sick about SPT but k 6 off - I,ve made my own fair share of big mistakes in SPT,s tho
    You,ve given me a new aim for my diary - to try and stay in front of you as were doing pretty similar at the minute - Can have a little side bet if you want ? you should be favourite as your up to NL30 . I,m still on 2p-4p lol (and cant fit more than 4 tables )
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 20NL to 50NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 50NL by the end of 2013 -----:
    Just seen that you had hut your target, really brilliant fantastic effort. The fact you have done that from £20 is testamount to your hardwork, skill and knowledge. I bet it's been quite a jouney the highs and the lows. Really Impressive!! No idea how long you have been playing on here, but that really is brilliant. I asked you before, where to after you achieved this, the truth is where ever you want it to take you. Look forward to seeing you move up the ranks to the very top. Well done mate
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks Larson. Yeah it's been a rollercoaster really, especially because a long time ago I was no where near as good as I am now.... that's not to say I'm great now (I still have tons to learn) just that I used to be terrible.

I just looked and I started this diary on 22nd January 2012 and my BR was £140 at that point, since then I've been up to £400ish, then back down to like £90 in a really bad patch, back up to £800ish, back down to £500 and eventually now over the £1000 mark.

That is the goal mate, it's gonna take a lot of work, but I think hard work and determination are the backbone of becoming a better player.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to post:
    WD on hitting the 1k mark I,m sure it will go keep going North if you carry on putting the work in - GL Pretty sick about SPT but k 6 off - I ,ve made my own fair s hare o f big mistakes in SPT,s tho Yo u ,ve given me a new aim for my diary - to try and s tay in front of you as were doing pretty similar at the minute - Can have a little side bet if you want ? you should be favourite as your up to NL30 . I,m still on 2p-4p lol (and cant fit more than 4 tables )
    Posted by MP33
    Cheers Paul, I'm probably just a fish on a little heater

I didn't realise your diary was still going tbh cos there's only a few sections of the forum I ever look at, I'll have to pop in and have a look. I dunno ya know, at 30NL I can win money alot quicker, but I can also lose it alot quicker too ;)

But yeah if you wanna come up with a side bet, I'll probably be up for it, dunno how we'd do it though. Also might be having a side bet with Evil Pingu for April to see who can earn the most poker points.
  • edited March 2013
    Well today was a day of ups and downs!

Started by playing 6 tables for around 5 hours earlier in the day, I think roughly from 11am - 5pm (with an hour break in the middle) and it was a pretty brutal 5 hours. Not really any (many) big losing pots just a steady dribbling of chips due to the fact I think during the whole time I made 1 set, couldn't hit a flop, couldn't make anyone fold, barely picked up any premium hands in 5 hours etc etc. Again, really frustrating (doh must be on to something) cos with the exception of the first hour which was nit city, the tables were great, people were actually calling bets postflop without the nuts, shame I just didn't have a hand to V-bet all day :)

The only memorable hand is me and Evil Pingu being CO (him) V BTN (me) and I 5bet ship JTo into QQ, I did manage to hit a T on the turn but no river bink for me.
    denty765 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £31.97
    rtc Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £13.03
      Your hole cards
    • J

EvilPingu Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £32.14
    Lambert180 Raise   £2.70 £4.05 £33.08
    denty765 Fold        
    rtc Fold        
    EvilPingu Raise   £5.70 £9.75 £26.44
    Lambert180 All-in   £33.08 £42.83 £0.00
    EvilPingu All-in   £26.44 £69.27 £0.00
    Lambert180 Unmatched bet   £2.74 £66.53 £2.74
    EvilPingu Show
    • Q
    • Q

Lambert180 Show
    • J

Flop

• K

Turn

River

EvilPingu Win Pair of Queens £64.73   £64.73
    That session resulted in a loss of just under £150 which sounds really bad, but in reality it's only 5BIs and I have to get used to these amounts.

So I came back for more tonight, think I started at about 8pm and finished @ 10:30pm and was only playing 4tables. It seemed in this session I was being repaid for the lack of cards in the first session and you can see 2 of these hands in Doh's clinic thread about how to make people fold. It's a funny game sometimes, the first session 6tabling for 5 hours, think I got AA once, or maybe twice. This session only 4tables and half the length and got AA probably 8-9 times.

Anyways, the 2nd session went much better and I won back near enough the whole £150 so I am back above the £1000 mark now and I've earned about 400 poker points for a massive £4 ;)

Total loss for the day was £23.50 so not even 1 BI.

Bankroll: £1,017.63
    Poker Points: 1645
    (£16.45)
  • edited March 2013
    That session resulted in a loss of just under £150 which sounds really bad, but in reality it's only 5BIs and I have to get used to these amounts.
    Yep - you have to get used these kinda swings if you wanna play higher. the trick is to get the most of the upswings and know when to stop on a dswong. and not let a dswong affect your normal life or playing tendencies. 

£50nl at sky in monetary terms is the same as playing like $100nl at the bigger sites and is where you start to come up against full time grinders, except you wont really come across many "beasts" as you would elsewhere as they would've moved up  to midstakes imo elsewhere

FWIW I think everytime i post in here i'm like move up, move up but now i'm gonna say don't move up until your ready or comfortable with flipping in a 50/50 toss preflop and not even care about how the board run outs... practise that and then your good to go.  I think your BRM requirements for this challenge have been seriously on the tight side... I wouldn't worry about having >30BIs until you get to 100nl imo but thats just me

Also dont be affraid to stand from a table and rejoin the waitlist if things arent going your way, sometimes its a simple as having the wrong player(s) to your left. Gl dude.. really want to see you smash this challenge. 
  • edited March 2013
    Cheers for the input TPTP.

Yeah I definitely agree with the fact my BRM requirements on the nitty side to say the least at first but it didn't take me too long to loosen up a bit, and I was playing 20NL with like £500 which ok isn't really aggro BRM but much better than I originally planned, and I'm obv playing 30NL now with 1k.

I definitely agree with the not moving up for a bit, and I think I'm at a good level now to be able to grind out some decent profits with a relatively safe roll.

Yeah I know what ya mean, and I am getting out the habit of being stubborn and just thinking 'no I'm gonna stick with it and figure out how to beat this guy no matter what position he has on me'. And I'm definitely advocating (and always have really) Channing's tip abuot it not mattering if you're the best player on the table, you just find the weaker players and attack them over and over.
  • edited March 2013
    N1 Paul.  The speediness of your progression is quite impressive, wd for putting in a lot of groundwork.