You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Well I thought tonight was shaping up to be a bit of a turning point for me in terms of how I've been running in MTTs recently, but sadly that was not to be the case.

'Schedule'...

£1.65 Sat into the KOTH (yeah I know, what a nit lol), jam QJs w/ 10xBB into QQ.

£5.50 Mini, doing pretty well in that, then I walk into a short stacks flopped set which took a bit of a chunk off me, then I jam A9s into AJ. Took one head there for £1.88

£2.20 Speed Rebuy - Doing fantastic in that, started with 102 runners and I'm massive chip leader with 25 left (13 paid). Lose 3 races in a row, never being worse than a flip (the only one I remember specifically was KQ v KT), then I ship the BTN and walk into AA. From CL to finishing 21st in <5 mins. That was the biggest sigh of the night.

£5.50 Velo - Can't remember how I bust that but it was fairly early... forgot how quick that is.

£3 all-in sat. Managed to get past the first hand which aint happened for a while, that put me on FT but came 5th with top 2 paying.

£5.75 BH - Again, doing really well, took my first head quite early, but couldn't win a race. Shipped over a shorty limper with AJ, snapped by K3 who got there. Same spot later, A7 v QJ, lose that, and eventually jam the BTN with A3 and walk into AA, fml.

So that's a total loss of £24.24

On the brightside it's the first time in a while I've had any return from an MTT ;)

For about an hour I was playing 30NL HU cash alongside my MTTs and managed to eek out a £8.85 profit and I do mean eek out, cos I know my opponent was pretty decent and players higher. So that was some of my MTT BIs back at least

Bankroll: £1,636.14
    Poker Points: 1357 (£13.57)
  • edited May 2013
    Just before going to bed last night, had a little mid month assessment because I had a feeling what I was going to see and just wanted to confirm it. Basically I've donked off ALOT this month in MTTs

I started the month on £1715.49.... I'm now on £1636.14 which is a loss so far of £79.35 which is pretty small really, certainly nothing to get worried about. But I have a spreadsheet for all my cash games so I know to the penny how that's going, and so far this month on cash I am +£230.33 which means I've lost £309.68 through MTTs (and the odd STT).

Granted during this time, I've spent abuot £45 for Birmingham and I do have a £110 seat to show for that so I guess I could say the loss is only £199 but it's still pretty disappointing.

Less MTTs, more cash for the rest of the month!
  • edited May 2013
    I do that every month paul use quite a bit of my cash profit for mtts looking to a get that bink does not happen lol.But yeah like you said just get back grinding more cash and you can easily make up for they mtt losses.

also you goin for the cash promo next wkend?
  • edited May 2013
    I'll probably give it a go if it's another like 4day weekend thing. I'm at my mums on the Saturday and her laptop lags with any more than 1 table running (so might play some HU cash Saturday to get the max hands for 1 tabling). If it's just Saturday and Sunday, I have no chance only being able to play 1 of the days, but if it's the same as last time like Friday - Monday then I can play 3 of the 4 days, and don't think there will be too many people going crazy. Probably got no chance of winning it with people like DTM about, but should be able to make a top 10 or something.
  • edited May 2013
    Satellite into the KOTH for £1.65

First hand I play...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind
    10.00 10.00 1900.00
    HurriKane Big blind   20.00 30.00 1950.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

maleangel8 Fold        
    acestu29 Call   20.00 50.00 4455.00
    gerry22 Call   20.00 70.00 2000.00
    Lambert180 Raise   90.00 160.00 1810.00
    HurriKane Raise   480.00 640.00 1470.00
    acestu29 Fold        
    gerry22 Fold        
    Lambert180 All-in   1810.00 2450.00 0.00
    HurriKane Call   1410.00 3860.00 60.00
    Lambert180 Show
    • Q
    • Q

HurriKane Show

Flop

• A

Turn

River

• K

HurriKane Win Three 10s 3860.00   3920.00
    That is all.
  • edited May 2013
    Morning Forum-ites!

Last time I played was Sunday night and it wasn't pretty so I took a day off from everything (including updating). Now that I look back at it, the damage is alot less than I thought.

I lost the £1.65 from the KOTH (I satted in) mentioned above and played 1 x £3 all in sat and lost that.

Then I jumped on the cash tables :) Things started a little badly, not really through much fault of my own (I don't think), then they really picked up and I started getting a few decent stacks going... some very interesting 4b pots against LiamBoi and seeing him show up with some funky stuff for a 4b pot. Then I went through a patch of just getting completed owned in every way possible by WudIBluff (sigh, he has a habit of doing that to me).

I thought I was about 3 BIs down at this point but after working out my results I was actually only 1 BI down. I also remembered the 2 pots I'm about to post being bigger than they actually were.

As you may have picked up, I think I'd been gradually accumulating tilt throughout the last week or two, from just constantly running bad in every single MTT I enter. Then the hand below happened and after the slight build up of tilt, the only thing I could do was say ARGHHHH!!

I'm thinking on the flop I'm gonna have to dodge a fair amount of outs to hold here... sadly I was the one drawing to 3 outs for a split lol.
    luckyjimbo Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £13.15
    Donttelmum Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £27.45
      Your hole cards
    • J

vinnybhoy Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £47.85
    X Call   £0.90 £2.25 £50.40
    skyfly Fold        
    Lambert180 Call   £0.90 £3.15 £48.01
    luckyjimbo Call   £0.75 £3.90 £12.40
    Donttelmum Fold        
    Flop

• Q
    • K

luckyjimbo Check        
    vinnybhoy Check        
    X Bet   £1.95 £5.85 £48.45
    Lambert180 Raise   £4.70 £10.55 £43.31
    luckyjimbo Fold        
    vinnybhoy Fold        
    X Raise   £9.40 £19.95 £39.05
    Lambert180 All-in   £43.31 £63.26 £0.00
    X Call   £36.66 £99.92 £2.39
    X Show
    • A
    • J

Lambert180 Show
    • J

Turn

• K

River

X Win Straight to the Ace £98.12   £100.51
    That was pretty sigh flopped 2nd nuts into flopped nuts. Villian was not a nut peddler at all, and am confident this isn't always gonna be AJ.

Anyway, as this hand was happening, I had iso'd a limper on another table  with JJ (yes I know it should be 4x, was rushed into getting a raise in before timing out), and literally just as I see the guy turn over AJ on that other table and I'm super tilted, that very second I get 3bet on this other table with JJ, and I just snap 4bet tilt jam for 200xBB with JJ lol just awful... snapped off by KK obv
    liamboi11 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £28.89
    9876543535 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £72.53
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

mikeb330 Call   £0.30 £0.75 £32.13
    Donttelmum Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.90 £1.65 £52.91
    rancid Fold        
    liamboi11 Call   £0.75 £2.40 £28.14
    9876543535 Raise   £2.40 £4.80 £70.13
    mikeb330 Fold        
    Lambert180 All-in   £52.91 £57.71 £0.00
    liamboi11 Fold        
    9876543535 All-in   £70.13 £127.84 £0.00
    9876543535 Unmatched bet   £19.02 £108.82 £19.02
    9876543535 Show
    • K
    • K

Lambert180 Show
    • J
    • J

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

9876543535 Win Pair of Kings £107.02   £126.04
    Hand 1 = Brutal

Hand 2 = Embarrassing

Snap stood from every table after that cos knew how awful that jam was. I thought that the result would be absolutely awful after these 2 hands but having looked at it now was only -£144.90, which is just shy of 5 BIs. I've had sessions like that before, and will have them many times again. Bit sigh that I didn't need to donk off £60 at the end although I probably do lose a few more quid if I play it properly due to the run out.

Am still more than rolled for 30NL imo so will get back on the horse soon. That night kinda got it out of my system and I feel de-tilted now.

Bankroll: £1,486.59
    Poker Points: 1694 (£16.94)
  • edited May 2013
    At least you know both hands were played in exactly the way you described mate so with that in mind you have nothing to worry about in future games.

Kudos for you posting hand 2 mate because when i see players do this type of thing i always feel the need to type in chat "the blinds go up in 2 mins"  :)

Best of luck

Daz
  • edited May 2013
    ul in hand 1 m8 and hand 2 yeah not so great but you can move on and learn from your mistakes

also I love our 4bet pots don`t get them very often at these levels and if i do i`m usually crushed but vs you i`m always live most times lol.

gl at tables
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Paul 

Unlucky there.
    Don't worry about hand 2, we've all done it. Plenty of times they'll show up with ak/10's as well.
    Good discipline to stand after that.

On hand 1, interested on your reasons behind more or less just clicking back his lead out on flop. Super wet board.
    Not rubs, just curious
  • edited May 2013
    Tbh Jac, I hadn't even noticed that when looking back at it lol, there's no reasoning behind it, it's a mistake, I definitely should have gone bigger with my flop raise on such a wet board.

Hand 2 - Yeah just pure spew, no reasoning behind that other than pure tilt, and as soon as I did it, I was just hoping for a fold, which I'll get probably 95% of the time when we're 200xBB and all he has done is a standard 3bet... just got unlucky this time and he had one of the probably 2 hands he'd call with :)

Cheers for the replies all.
  • edited May 2013
    2nd hand u can see that was tilt when called ya never aheadn ya know this didnt think u tilt paul :P
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 20NL to 50NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 50NL by the end of 2013 -----:
    2nd hand u can see that was tilt when called ya never aheadn ya know this didnt think u tilt paul :P
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Really? lol. (we're more alike than you realise!)

I'm a massive tilt monster. Before this time round where I've got my BR way higher than it's ever been, I used to always build it up, tilt it off, build it up, tilt it off.

I am still up for the month on cash despite that awful play, just spending £300 on MTTs so far this month and the only thing to show for it is a £110 Birmingham seat aint great.
  • edited May 2013
    Do you track your MTT results at all?  Obviously there is a much greater return period, so a cumulative monthly negative is not really the full story.  How are you playing in the MTTs (and do you include Sats in your stats?), hell you took down a Mini not so long ago so you must have most of the game already.
  • edited May 2013
    I had been doubting my MTT game a bit recently but that's probably fairly normal after a while without any results, like don't expect to be winning an MTT all the time, but I've played quite alot over the past few weeks without a single cash.

Looking at it with a clear head, I know I have the game to beat MTTs on Sky it's just been a rough patch. One thing about MTTs is they are pretty brutal, and you need to play ALOT for things to even out... I can play 6/7 tables of cash no problem, and the only reason I don't play more is because I can't fit them on my laptop, but when it comes to MTT I just don't seem to be able to play that many, 3 tables is probably about as many where I feel I'm still playing really well, maybe I need to just put more practice in multi-tabling MTTs.

I don't track them actually, but maybe I should. I kept a rough idea going in my diary last month and was about +£200 for the month MTT-wise I think, which obv mostly came from the Mini win. I did BI direct to that TSP qualifier for £60 that month so that took a chunk out of the profit. Obviously it's tracked via Sharkscope but it's so inaccurate... profit missing from heads in BHs, but then losses not counted for in rebuys, and shows more losses cos I've probably had £150-£200 worth of free entries from Sky that show as losses but obv didn't cost me anything. Think I might put together a spreadsheet :)

I do include sats when I do my updates and count them as the price I get in for.
  • edited May 2013
    Sure, you include them in your bankroll/financial results, but what I meant was that a Sat will have an even greater return period (like a 2.60 sat is going to show up similar in variance to the full 55 buyin (or slightly under if you're beating the sats or semis)), so it can be useful to separate them out to see how things are going. But as you say, it's a bit obvious things aren't great if you haven't made a single cash in a straight MTT for a while. In that case, think about the exits or key spots. Do you employ the same mentality from cash where you can instantly reload, or do you place some value on the tournament life?

I don't have the answers by the way, just trying to offer you some questions! One thing that will affect your MTT return though is approaching the next one thinking you'll lose! Good luck.
  • edited May 2013
    Only a suggestion, but would it be an idea to withdraw £500, take a shart break and then come bac. You will still have a BR big enough for NL30 and it would mean u can enjoy and spend that £500 that you have worked hard for. 

It might make it seem more real than just numbers on a screen?

GL
  • edited May 2013
    @Mike - Yeah I know what you mean, I'll have to find some way to work satellites into my spreadsheet. Might do it similar to SS in that winning a £10 sat into a £50 games shows a +£40 profit, then just enter the £50 MTT on a seperate line, not sure yet, but I sure do love my spreadsheets :)

To be honest, I have very little regard for my tournament life, arguably I have too little regard for it, but I'm certainly not afraid to take certain spots if it can give me a chance to go deep for fear of busting out and missing out on a min cash. Min cashes, don't mean anything imo.

@SighCall - A good suggestion but just probably doesn't fit well for me. Personally if withdrew £500 and dropped back to a £1k roll, I wouldn't be loving life playing 30NL, I'd probably be comfortable at first but 1 big losing session could end all that, and I don't wanna have to move down when I can beat 30NL and don't really need to. I'm going to have this roll up to £2.5k and be playing 50NL before the year is out (probably before the summer is finished imo) and withdrawing £500 would just slow that progress down.

Also, my interests are very cheap in life. If someone gave me £500, I wouldn't know what to spend it on anyway. All of my hobbies are very cheap ones... I can get weeks out of a book for £5, weeks (at least) out of an Xbox gave for £15-£20 etc. I don't really go out drinking ever. The only thing I need/want is a new decent phone but I'm a life nit and it would be like a dagger in my heart to spend £300+ on the phone.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 20NL to 50NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 50NL by the end of 2013 -----:
    @Mike - Yeah I know what you mean, I'll have to find some way to work satellites into my spreadsheet. Might do it similar to SS in that winning a £10 sat into a £50 games shows a +£40 profit, then just enter the £50 MTT on a seperate line, not sure yet, but I sure do love my spreadsheets :) To be honest, I have very little regard for my tournament life, arguably I have too little regard for it, but I'm certainly not afraid to take certain spots if it can give me a chance to go deep for fear of busting out and missing out on a min cash. Min cashes, don't mean anything imo. @SighCall - A good suggestion but just probably doesn't fit well for me. Personally if withdrew £500 and dropped back to a £1k roll, I wouldn't be loving life playing 30NL, I'd probably be comfortable at first but 1 big losing session could end all that, and I don't wanna have to move down when I can beat 30NL and don't really need to. I'm going to have this roll up to £2.5k and be playing 50NL before the year is out (probably before the summer is finished imo) and withdrawing £500 would just slow that progress down. Also, my interests are very cheap in life. If someone gave me £500, I wouldn't know what to spend it on anyway. All of my hobbies are very cheap ones... I can get weeks out of a book for £5, weeks (at least) out of an Xbox gave for £15-£20 etc. I don't really go out drinking ever. The only thing I need/want is a new decent phone but I'm a life nit and it would be like a dagger in my heart to spend £300+ on the phone.
    Posted by Lambert180

Yeh i compoletly understand your point, my thing is that when will u ever witdraw. Mabye at NL50 but then you will probabaly just be keen to make it to NL100 and so on? 

I suppose if you have nothing to spend the money on u may aswell. GL anyway and im sure ull make it. Ive been playing a few NL30 so might c u on the tables

• edited May 2013
    I'll be withdrawing once I have a strong sustainable BR for 100NL that can handle regular withdrawals.

If I go and bink the Primo for £3k or something then I'd probably withdraw some, treat Emma etc, get myself that phone ;) and use the rest for roll building.
  • edited May 2013
    F000K the primo bink its the sunday roller bink :)
  • edited May 2013
    F000K the primo bink its the sunday roller bink :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Lol well yeah, if I bink that, I can pretty much just skip out 50NL ;)

Just need to get in now, which would be a miracle seen as I aint played any sats for it :p I did say I was gonna play this month's roller when I seen it on last month... so we'll see.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Paul, you seem to be doing really well at the minute, well done. Just read your recent posts about not withdrawing. One of the positive sides of regularly withdrawing is that it ensures you play enough hands at a certain level to gain the experience to go up a level. I know so many players who never withdraw, move up a level or two, then spu off their bankroll at the higher level, with nothing to show for it. At least if you do withdraw, you'd have money set aside for if you went on a massive downswing. Personally, for every time I increase my bankroll by 1000 BB's I withdraw 500, so for example, playing 10nl with a starting BR of £250 I withdraw £50 at £350 (BRnow£300), £50 at £400 (BR=£350) £50 at £450 (Br=£400)etc until I reach whatever minimum number of full buy ins I set for the next level. Hope this gives you a little food for thought
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the advice Lisa, although I'm very nitty with my BRM which comes with the side effect of having to play lots at a given level. For instance, I started 30NL at around £1000 and I'm not moving up until I get to £2500, so that's 50 BIs. I'm probably not gonna do that without playing at least 50,000 hands at the level. FWIW, I've already played 25,000 hands at 30NL and have only got from £1k to £1.5k.

I also won't be spewing off my whole BR at higher levels. If I play £50 and either can't win or just go on a bad run, and say drop from £2500 down to £1500, I'll just drop down to 30NL again. Having said that, it's not such a bad idea withdrawing some money every now and then, I do have a seperate bank account which I use for poker money when I'm transferring money between sites etc. I've been thinking of withdrawing bits and bobs to give myself a bit of a live roll, so that I can play live cash without it actually coming out of my bank.

=================================================================================

Update time...

Played 4 tables of 4NL earlier today because I was letting someone watch me play (screen sharing) to try to help them out. I was really helpful in showing them how to lose £5 in an hour ;)

Then I played a £12 Super Roller sat but didn't get my seat.

Finished the night off back at 30NL, played 6 tables for I think about 2 hours. Some ups and downs, coolered KKkripler getting it in KK v QQ, then I managed to get it in pre against him again 88 v AA, I flopped a FD and spiked the 8 on the turn. Although I did probably needlessly gift him a BI when I figured he didn't HAVE to have it on a K-high board and he had KK lol... I did have a GS when it went in, but no bad beat for him this time.

Anyway, finished about +£5 which leaves me slightly down for the day.

Bankroll: £1,474.70
    Poker Points: 1850 (£18.50)
  • edited May 2013
    I get the whole don`t withdraw so its quicker to move up stakes but if your good enough(which u are) you get there anyways it`s not a rush imo.

also I like what some others have said with regards to withdrawing money so you got something to show for your hardwork.

Me personally I withdraw every month to treat myself and the family or even if a need to pay a bill like take car to garage or just anything I need really.I don`t withdrew a big percentage prob around 25%+ and im more than rolled enough to play 20/30nl so bankroll still increases each month but just little slower but as I said i`m no rush to move up to 40/50nl

also I need a new phone lol but i`m same grudge paying £300+ when that money go get spent on my son or mrs
  • edited May 2013
    I've mentioned before that in my opinion poker is more enjoyable if we are treating ourselves to things we wouldn't normally buy from time to time. I understand though, that we're all different and I can see your reasons for rarely withdrawing.

You might need to rethink playing live cash though.
    Never played a cash game lower than 50/1 and like you, I'll always sit with the max, £200.
    So unless its for a rare shot, you're going to be massively under rolled.

Games are definatley easier though live. Can just take a little bit of time adjusting to the swings.
    I played a couple of nights ago and standard was awful. Still managed to be down 300 after 45 mins.
    Ground out a £280 win in the end which was great but could easily have gone the other way.

• edited May 2013
    Yeah I am aware I'd be massively under-rolled to play live cash but am happy to take a few 'shots' at first. I know the games are supposed to be very soft, but poker is a swingy game.... 4NL is very soft but I still lost a BI when I played it the other day.

Also, I always aim to make my money from beating the games and not just grinding rakeback, so I see that as a bonus and am considering just withdrawing whatever I make from that every month. If I get off my backside and actually put some time in, think I cuold make about £300 per month in C4P so that would gimme a few shots at 50/1 or 1/1, hopefully rungood at the start :p

================================================================================

Tonight was another night of mostly MTTs and another night (mostly) of just pure brutal variance.

Can't remember them all and it's getting pretty boring for me (and for you, no doubt) me listing them all but the only one I remember it getting it in pre in a £5 BH AQ v AJ and them spiking the J to bust me.

Played another £22.80 worth of roller sats with no success.
    A £2.30 BH, £5.75 BH, £5.50 Deepstack, £2.20 Speed Rebuy (£6.60 total), £5.50 Velocity and a £3 all in sat, where again I FT'd and came 6th with 2 seats paying.... think 2nd place must be given at random on the FT of them which is pretty annoying cos I've FT'd 2 with 2 places paid and been given 6th both times, but meh it's all just a random gamble innit.

Bust all of them without getting anything vaguely close to a cash (or a head).

Had basically given up for the night, then I decided to take one more shot and late reg (only 5 mins late) the £1,000 GTD, £11 BH. It got 134 runners in the end, and I managed to finally bag my first cash in what must be 3-4 weeks. Finished up 9th with 4 heads for a small profit.

So in total that was a loss of £22.73 on MTTs for the day but an improvement on what was -£60 before I regged that last game.

Lambert18009£19.09 + £20.63 Head Prizes4 
    Pretty sigh how I got knocked out, and kinda sums up how I've been running recently but gotta be happy to get anywhere near a FT the way things have been going.
    Buzzzzzzzi Small blind   600.00 600.00 29110.00
    SHO147 Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 14705.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

whostheman Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   2400.00 4200.00 16448.50
    Buzzzzzzzi All-in   29110.00 33310.00 0.00
    SHO147 Fold        
    Lambert180 All-in   16448.50 49758.50 0.00
    Buzzzzzzzi Unmatched bet   10861.50 38897.00 10861.50
    Buzzzzzzzi Show
    • A

Lambert180 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• A

Turn

• J

River

Buzzzzzzzi Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 38897.00   49758.50
    Hold there and I think I'm chip leader and cruising into the FT :(

While I was playing that I decided to play some cash from midnight onwards to get a few points going for the cash promo. I can't put the time or tables in to compete or have any chance of winning it but I might be able to get a top 20 for a free £50. If I do, great, if not, no biggie, I'm not pushing for it.

So I 3tabled for 1hr 30 mins alongside the £11 BH and made £21.04 which leaves me virtually break even for the day.

Bankroll: £1,471.81
    Poker Points: 1951 (£19.51)
  • edited May 2013
    Pretty dirty exit, don't know what he was thinking there your obv calling with stack size nearly every time, ul.

I thought i would get a lil head start on the promo tonight aswell but just realized i didn't put the code in haha :(

DTM 17 tabling now aswell so probably has it locked up by the morning ha.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, shocked he was shoving that light to be honest, not insulting the play, just didn't think he'd been shoving that wide.

Yeah DTM has already won the promo, everyone else is just playing for 2nd place, and I know a lad who has decided to start 12 tabling 4NL for the weekend, so that's probably another top 5 place locked up.

Too many people that have way more spare time on their hands than me so not much point bothering.

===================================================================================

Gonna be sharing some philosophical input, a few interesting facts and maybe the odd fable over the next few days/weeks.
  • edited May 2013
    I used to enjoy bank hols!
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, shocked he was shoving that light to be honest, not insulting the play, just didn't think he'd been shoving that wide. Yeah DTM has already won the promo, everyone else is just playing for 2nd place, and I know a lad who has decided to start 12 tabling 4NL for the weekend, so that's probably another top 5 place locked up. Too many people that have way more spare time on their hands than me so not much point bothering. =================================================================================== Gonna be sharing some philosophical input, a few interesting facts and maybe the odd fable over the next few days/weeks.
    Posted by Lambert180
    i think i know who you are on about, dont want to put a dampner on it for you but they aint the only one adopting that if last nights evidence is anything to go by