You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I have no idea what you guys mean ;)

To be honest, I bet there are more people than just donk that are doing similar things, and there'll no doubt be people on 31st Jan grinding the russian roulettes essentially just paying for points. Up to them I guess, in poker you're always gonna get people punting hard.

• edited January 2014
    <3 Friday night cash :D

Start off by saying this morning went pretty rubbish, nothing too horrific, all pretty standard spots, just I happened to be on the wrong end of most of them and finished -£55

But confidence in getting a big winning session was high going in to tonight, just cos I think I've been playing really well all month and well... it's friday night :)

I did run pretty hot for most of the night, flopped lots of them sets and people always had something they thought was worth paying me off with. I did have one pretty lucky spot... player A has taken to open shoving his remaining £8 (20NL) every hand, this hand he does it again, I raise to iso-late him with JJ but someone behind decides to come along for stacks anyway with A9o and I hold (player A had 66).

Finished the night +£175

Just shy of 3900 points so didn't quite make 4k points but I'm tired and was feeling my concentration slip so not worth playing on and making bad decisions.
  • edited January 2014
    So here comes the obligatory 'I've had a really good session so I'll get round to updating' post ;)

Friday night wasn't the spectacular night I was hoping for but was only -£17
    Sat night much better = +£110
    Monday both sessions combined were +£40

Then tonight I ran ridic good which was a refreshing change. I really can't remember the last time I've ran that good, just lots of coolering people like flopping top set v top two, set over sets, peeling 4bets with QQ, flopping quads then getting it in V KK... that kinda thing, not a huge amount of skill required but I did pile the money in well ;)

Was only playing 20NL tonight and was +£265 so just over £400 up in the last 4-5 days which is nice at any time, but even more so after the recent -£300 day.
  • edited January 2014
    Nice work mate. 

Any news on this opportunity u mentioned? Is it staking??
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Nice work mate.  Any news on this opportunity u mentioned? Is it staking??
    Posted by chicknMelt
    PM'd you on here Melt
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : PM'd you on here Melt
    Posted by Lambert180

replied
  • edited January 2014
    Another good session last night, finished +£85 so getting some good momentum going.

Slipping a bit in promo and things gonna heat up over this weekend, plus Friday is Emma's birthday and taking her out so no double points Friday. Then Saturday I'm at my mum's so can't play >6tables on Saturday, might be some catching up needed
  • edited January 2014
    Confirmed heater now definitely!

Just finished up +£70 this morning so that makes it nearly 30 BIs up in under a week. vv nice to be on the other end of things.
  • edited January 2014
    Confirmed heater now definitely! Just finished up +£70 this morning so that makes it nearly 30 BIs up in under a week. vv nice to be on the other end of things.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm sure Emma's present will be at least double that !

GG WP
  • edited January 2014
    #onlypostwhenyourewinning
    #fishonaheater

:P

n1
  • edited January 2014
    Good job too, them heating bills go up during the winter months )
  • edited January 2014
    Ace results, paul.

Really happy things have turned around.

You made any changes to your game / routine or did you grind through the variance? Did the mtt break help?

• edited January 2014
    Cheers all

@Teddy - The MTT break helped purely in a mental game sense. Towards the end of the downswing I was dreading sitting down to another cash game session and just didn't want to play, it was effecting my volume and the quality of my game when I did play. Mid way through December I was getting that feeling back of actually wanting to play cash so when it got round to January I was really hungry to get back into it.

In terms of the recent results, I think it's mostly just variance being a little kinder to me. Not been giving out bad beats just hitting flops wel and lucky enough that when I am hitting them well other people are also hitting them but not quite as well. It's funny cos Doh asked me the exact same question earlier today 'have I changed anything' and the only thing really is practicing better table selection. In the past I've been guilty of sitting down and wanting to play 12 tables (or whatever the number may be) and so sitting at 12 tables regardless. Recently I've just been a little bit more picky and if that means I only end up playing 8-9 tables then so be it.
  • edited January 2014
    Another really good night on cash, I finished +£132

Unlucky to Rancid who got coolered by me twice in the first like 30 mins of me sitting down, both times AA v QQ. I'm sure you don't feel too bad though Ranny, you know it's the only way I can beat you :)

I did bust out of an £11.50 UKPC QF tho and failed in 2 of the all in sats to the Semi (distracted and missed the third one).

Really been trying to get back on top of winning myself a UKPC seat but having a bit of  a mare. Played 2 of the all in sats tonight, 3 the night before and 3 the night before (because they all have decent overlay), also played the £11.50 into the Semi tonight and the last 2 nights but have yet to make it into the £52 game.

Nice bonus tonight, I won free entry to the £11 Turbo ME next week
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers all @Teddy - The MTT break helped purely in a mental game sense. Towards the end of the downswing I was dreading sitting down to another cash game session and just didn't want to play, it was effecting my volume and the quality of my game when I did play. Mid way through December I was getting that feeling back of actually  wanting  to play cash so when it got round to January I was really hungry to get back into it. In terms of the recent results, I think it's mostly just variance being a little kinder to me. Not been giving out bad beats just hitting flops wel and lucky enough that when I am hitting them well other people are also hitting them but not quite as well. It's funny cos Doh asked me the exact same question earlier today 'have I changed anything' and the only thing really is practicing better table selection. In the past I've been guilty of sitting down and wanting to play 12 tables (or whatever the number may be) and so sitting at 12 tables regardless. Recently I've just been a little bit more picky and if that means I only end up playing 8-9 tables then so be it.
    Posted by Lambert180

yeah know what u mean lol

Nice run recently . Are you stil playing tourneys much or are you planning to play mainly with cash?
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers Paul. I'm still playing the very occasional tournament but it isn't that common. I will be playing mainly cash yeah, it's what I always have done for a long time now, I only played MTTs for that 1 month cos my head was mashed with cash. Still gonna be playing tons of UKPC sats alongside cash though so I guess that counts as an MTT.

EDIT: just noticed the post count, who is gonna nab number 2000?
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers Paul. I'm still playing the very occasional tournament but it isn't that common. I will be playing mainly cash yeah, it's what I always have done for a long time now, I only played MTTs for that 1 month cos my head was mashed with cash. Still gonna be playing tons of UKPC sats alongside cash though so I guess that counts as an MTT. EDIT: just noticed the post count, who is gonna nab number 2000?
    Posted by Lambert180

Prob some forum bore.
  • edited January 2014
    2001 so much better than 2000
    with full orchestral backing
  • edited January 2014
    Well done on the results lately Paul, sure you have mentioned before but how do you go about withdrawing do you ensure you withdraw x amount a month? withdraw small amounts throughout the month or a big lump? I've managed to get a decent roll again but always in two minds as to the best way to approach withdrawing how much of a roll to keep etc. Do you always ensure you have a specific amount of buyins for whatever stakes your likely to be playing throughout the month?
  • edited January 2014
    Wd Max and Geldy :)

Cheers Benc.

For you, it's completely down to how you feel/what you want. Some people don't want to withdraw at all (if they don't need to) and just keep playing higher and higher, some people aren't interested in moving up at all and are happy withdrawing pretty much all their profit to just have a bit of extra spending money every month, it's up to you really.

Personally I never withdraw small amounts (or any amount) mid-month, I just do 1 withdrawal at the end of each month. I just get to the end of the month, enter my total P+L in my spreadsheet (including rakeback) and withdraw X amount. How much I withdraw isn't related to what I win though, if I have a really great month then I'll still withdraw the same amount and the rest just boosts my roll so I can play higher and have a bigger safety net for when that next downswing comes (cos it will do). If I have a really terrible month... then it's a good job I left that extra bit in from the previous month ;)

P.S. Details have been confirmed about the opportunity I mentioned so gonna blog about that now and post it here in a bit.
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Good stuff Lambo

Hope it works out for you.

If you want to contact the wrong Paul Jackson on FB again to send all the profits, that's fine with me :)
  • edited January 2014
    Please don't go :(
  • edited January 2014

Very best of luck Paul...

'you must be so excited'

'be lucky'
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    wow, gl.

It's going to be a massive jump you're making, hope it works out for you. I'm kinda surprised you've gone down this route. You've openly said that you're ok financially and wanted to work your way up through the levels, so this comes as bit of a surprise.

I suppose on the flip side, the coaching/mentoring can only be a good thing when it comes to improving. Are you going to keep us updated on here regularly as to your progress? What site will you be playing on?

p.s do your backers know u recently had a 120 BI downswing at nl20? :P
  • edited January 2014
    GL with this Paul

Seems like a pretty big step up. Can you say what site you,ll be playing on?

I,ve heard a few things about staking but don,t fully understand how a lot of it works. Does this mean that basically you can,t lose any of your own money.

Also when you say you have to give up 50% of your profit. How long is this over? a week a month etc and if for example it was per month. what happens if you win say 1k in a month ? - You keep £500, but then the next month you lose 1k. Do you just carry on to the next month starting a fresh and not having to pay any of the losses back?

GL with it . Keep us updated

Ps - Do you get tied it into any contracts for a set period of time or can can each party ( you or the backer) pull out at any time?
  • edited January 2014
    Best of luck mate - exciting times and I've got a good feeling!!
  • edited January 2014
    @Splashies - Lol yes, I was chatting to Paul Jackson on FB about my big downswing before he offered. It is a big step but I think it'd be foolish to not take a shot at it. The coaching/mentoring is definitely a big bonus to the deal, along with being able to play with HEM, both of which I think will really help me improve as a player. I am financially stable but this is just a great chance to speed up the process of improving and building my own roll in a risk free manner. Also, I will still have my own roll on Sky so will probably use it to play MTTs here and maybe France too while I grind cash under the stake.

Will definitely still keep this thread going with updates, and will still be playing on Sky, especially satellites for all the live stuff.

@MP33 - Well it's 50% for the life of the deal... sort of.... my profit share increases to 55% then 60% after month 1 and month 2 as long as I'm winning. But yeah it's done on a monthly basis with RB included so if I make $3k profit + $1k rakeback, it just gets combined and I get 50% (or 55/60%) of the $4k. I have the option to play on either iPoker or a newish site (I don't have to stick to just one, can move about from day to day depending on if the action is good etc). There is make-up but they're flexible in terms of like say I was in $4k of makeup and the next month I finished +$2k, they wouldn't just take it all and give me nothing, they'd let me use some of it to pay off makeup and keep some if I needed it for life stuff etc. The important thing though is that if the deal ends, I'm not liable for any of the MU. I wouldn't have considered going for it if that wasn't the case cos I'm sensible and obv wouldn't wanna run horrific and find myself in a ton of debt cos I'm playing levels that I'm not actually rolled for. There are no contracts, either party can pull out when they want to. From their point of view, they will only pull out if I'm playing badly and just aint good enough to win... runbad isn't a problem, I'll have HEM data that they'll be going thru with me so won't be an issue if I'm losing but they can see I'm playing well.

Oh and yes it means I can't lose my own money. I won't actually be depositing anything on the site, they will just be player transferring me $2.5k daily to play with.

@Everyone else - cheers all, I've got a good feeling too Adam.

Let me know if I missed any questions.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- New Blog Uploaded ------:
    @Splashies - Lol yes, I was chatting to Paul Jackson on FB about my big downswing before he offered. It is a big step but I think it'd be foolish to not take a shot at it. The coaching/mentoring is definitely a big bonus to the deal, along with being able to play with HEM, both of which I think will really help me improve as a player. I am financially stable but this is just a great chance to speed up the process of improving and building my own roll in a risk free manner. Also, I will still have my own roll on Sky so will probably use it to play MTTs here and maybe France too while I grind cash under the stake. Will definitely still keep this thread going with updates, and will still be playing on Sky, especially satellites for all the live stuff. @MP33 - Well it's 50% for the life of the deal... sort of.... my profit share increases to 55% then 60% after month 1 and month 2 as long as I'm winning. But yeah it's done on a monthly basis with RB included so if I make $3k profit + $1k rakeback, it just gets combined and I get 50% (or 55/60%) of the $4k. I have the option to play on either iPoker or a newish site called Ladspoker (I don't have to stick to just one, can move about from day to day depending on if the action is good etc). There is make-up but they're flexible in terms of like say I was in $4k of makeup and the next month I finished +$2k, they wouldn't just take it all and give me nothing, they'd let me use some of it to pay off makeup and keep some if I needed it for life stuff etc. The important thing though is that if the deal ends, I'm not liable for any of the MU. I wouldn't have considered going for it if that wasn't the case cos I'm sensible and obv wouldn't wanna run horrific and find myself in a ton of debt cos I'm playing levels that I'm not actually rolled for. There are no contracts, either party can pull out when they want to. From their point of view, they will only pull out if I'm playing badly and just aint good enough to win... runbad isn't a problem, I'll have HEM data that they'll be going thru with me so won't be an issue if I'm losing but they can see I'm playing well. Oh and yes it means I can't lose my own money. I won't actually be depositing anything on the site, they will just be player transferring me $2.5k daily to play with. @Everyone else - cheers all, I've got a good feeling too Adam. Let me know if I missed any questions.
    Posted by Lambert180

Sounds like an amazing deal, you are freerolling on profit and getting coached too. Get in there lambie!

Hope you crush there paul.

GG.