You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In the last 3 but a little short....locked up 18k.
  • edited February 2014
    Excellent result, well played to you!
  • edited February 2014
    Very nice going - gr8 result
  • edited February 2014
    great result lambert!!! good start to life as a pro and ur now set up with a tasty bankroll behind you to do as you please with unless you're bird has already made other plans for the money or course :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Nice one mate! Congrats!
  • edited February 2014
    Well done on your 6 max result. VWP.
  • edited February 2014
    Its not a myth then, live poker really is soft :)

Well Done Fella
  • edited February 2014
    Where did you finish? I can't see anywhere on here the final result?

Either way, superb result, very well done!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- Massive UKPC Update:
    Where did you finish? I can't see anywhere on here the final result? Either way, superb result, very well done!
    Posted by FCHD
    3rd
  • edited February 2014
    Well done Paul terrific result.
  • edited February 2014
    Excellent result mate. Well done.
  • edited February 2014
    well played paul,

nursed your short stack really well & had a good presence on the FT.

can't remember ever being on such a gung-ho FT - the big stacks were happily going for each other with little or no icm considerations,

happy days!
  • edited February 2014
    Never posted before, but have read your diary for a while and had a chat with you at the tables on a few occasions. Seems like only a few weeks ago you were mastering bubbling the £5 9.05 MTT, oh it was!!

Just shows what dedication, learning and committment can do. With your big downswing a lot of people would of just thrown in the towel, but you have stuck with it and came out on top. Really pleased for you and good luck for the future.

Out of interest do the winnings go into your Sky bankroll or cash / cheque from DTD?
  • edited February 2014
    Superb mate... I gather you are going to be getting on the live scene now ? you should do with that monster roll.....
  • edited February 2014
    Cheers everyone for the good lucks and congratulations. It's obviously an amazing result for me, I've never even had a 4 figure score before in an MTT but then decided to go straight for a 5 figure one ;) For anyone that doesn't know, it was 3rd place for £18,000, it was a £550 BI and got 402 runners.

==============================================

The exit hand for anyone that would like to know...

Blinds at 40k/80k with a 10k ante, I've got just over 2mil, 2nd in chips has maybe 4mil and CL has the other like 6mil.

CL is vv loose aggro and he opens the button, I just peel the SB with KQo cos don't really wanna 3bet/fold or 3bet and have to call it off this deep (and he's mostly gonna be 4b or folding)

K72r - He bets about 175k, I call
    2s turn which brings in a FD - He bets 350k, I call
    As river to compete flush - He sticks me all in, I call

I think it's a really good spot for me tbh and thought I was almost certainly getting the double before I called river, he's more than capable of having air here and river is a really good card to bluff imo. This time he had A8o though.

=================================================

I was updating a few people on FB but most of you won't know how the day went. I came back to day 2 with 165k @ 2k/4k which was above average and plenty to play with. Scotty had told me I had a pretty good table draw (as per the table draw on the forum) then DTD decided to redraw the tables - no idea why - and I end up changing from a good table to one with Simon Deadman, the guy who came 2nd in the high roller and a couple of other good players (from what I could make out). Despite that the day started really well, and I got up to about 330k really quickly, pretty much all of which came from 3-4 small pots against Deadman.

So got off to a flying start, then a table move and a combination of things just saw my stack start to dwindle away, and I was down to 180k @ 5k/10k. Just through a continued lack of spots and I think losing 1 small pot I ended up with about 90k then the blinds went up to 6k/12k and at this point there were 28 players left. From that points onwards I don't mind saying I think I played the best tournament poker I've ever played. It was a proper grind from there, I stayed super patient and didn't allow myself to think that I HAD to shove ATC in some spots or call off certain spots where it would be 'standard' to do it. I was well below average, like 25-50% of average for a lot of the way, but it played so deep that even 1/4 average was still 10-15xBB most of the way, I never actually made it to average stack again until I reached the FT.

I was just picking my spots really well and holding well. First double from was AK /> K5, then I 3bet shipped KQs as I was still short, got tank called by KJ and held again to get to around 300k. Stayed around that mark for a while grinding away, keeping my head above water and then the first (and only) time of the tourney where I handed out a bad beat... I open shove 99 and another guy snap reshoves AA.... the runout is 8T276 and I'm on about 600k. The guy who lost with AA was left short and shoved the next hand with QJo and walked into AA himself but couldn't do a lambo escape and we were down to like 14-15.

It was all pretty straight forward from there, didn't do anything major just a lot of blind stealing and nicking small pots until we went to the 7handed FT and what a sick FT it was. There was me, 2 online MTT pros who were very good, Thewy (nuff said) and a guy who won the Irish Open (the other 2 I didn't know anything about really).

A few people on the FT went pretty nuts early doors and we saw 77 v AJ aipf for a pot of over 100xBB. The Irish Open winner (Ian Simpson) made his set of 7s to take big CL having like 4-5 million of the 12million in play still with 7 left. Can't remember all the details but there were like 3-4 really massive flips in the first maybe 30-45 mins of the FT so I just sat back a bit and tightened up knowing I was vvv likely to get paid off by one of them when I had a hand. I won a very decent sized pot off the CL with AK on KQxQx that took me to just over 2mil and then just chilled out until we got down to 4handed. When we got 4handed there was 1 guy on <1mil @ 30k/60k and all the rest of us had at least 2.5mil each so obv we're all trying to take him out and get an extra £6k before going to war with each other too much. He bust and then stacks were all within reach of each other and the aggression picked up again. I lost a couple of small pots to drop to 1.5mil and then the hand happened that I posted at the start of this post ^^

So my 2nd hendon mob flag, my first ever live FT, at the first ever UKPC and a pretty nice £18,000 to boot. Needless to say I enjoyed this festival :)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- Massive UKPC Update:
    Never posted before, but have read your diary for a while and had a chat with you at the tables on a few occasions. Seems like only a few weeks ago you were mastering bubbling the £5 9.05 MTT, oh it was!! Just shows what dedication, learning and committment can do. With your big downswing a lot of people would of just thrown in the towel, but you have stuck with it and came out on top. Really pleased for you and good luck for the future. Out of interest do the winnings go into your Sky bankroll or cash / cheque from DTD?
    Posted by GREGSTER
    You could take up to £2k in cash and then the rest (or all of it) by bank transfer or cheque. I didn't take any cash cos meh I had no need for it, not like I wanna show off with £2k cash or anything, and it's just safer not to have that on me so just got the lot bank transferred to me.
  • edited February 2014
    I'm so pleased for you Paul. It's an absolutely fantastic result.
    Interested that you, as a self confessed 'nit' with money entered a £550 buy in tourney! Stuck to the 100 buy in guidelines? :)

I've said this to you before but this time, I really think you should do it.
    Enjoy some of the money!!!
    Take a holiday or buy a phone manufactured this century, something like that.

Obviously, the majority, leave there for you bankroll. It gives you so many more opportunities now. 
    Just spend some of it. It's a wonderful feeling getting something that you wouldn't normally get with poker winnings. Makes it feel all worthwhile. And, you deserve it.

Well done mate
  • edited February 2014
    WAL

Great result, wp :)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- UKPC 6-max Blog:
    I'm so pleased for you Paul. It's an absolutely fantastic result. Interested that you, as a self confessed 'nit' with money entered a £550 buy in tourney! Stuck to the 100 buy in guidelines? :) I've said this to you before but this time, I really think you should do it. Enjoy some of the money!!! Take a holiday or buy a phone manufactured this century, something like that. Obviously, the majority, leave there for you bankroll. It gives you so many more opportunities now.  Just spend some of it. It's a wonderful feeling getting something that you wouldn't normally get with poker winnings. Makes it feel all worthwhile. And, you deserve it. Well done mate
    Posted by Jac35
    Lol it was a little bit shot takey yes :P but tbf, I sold 50% of my action which at the time seemed like a great idea... not so much when you're on the FT looking at trying to win £45k ;) oh well, I wouldnt have even been in the comp at all if I didn't sell action so can't complain at £9k.

Emma bought me a very nice phone for Xmas and we're going to San Francisco soon anyway to see Emma's brother but yeh I'll put a few quid aside.... Emma has been pestering that she wants laminate flooring for ages lol, and the rest will go to opening up bigger opportunities as you say.
  • edited February 2014
    Hi. Really chuffed for you, followed your progress as best I could and a really well done. Am I right that you sold some action? If I may ask, what did you get to keep? Just being nosey, it's nice to hear success stories. 

Hope everything else goes well. 
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- UKPC 6-max Blog : Lol it was a little bit shot takey yes :P but tbf, I sold 50% of my action which at the time seemed like a great idea... not so much when you're on the FT looking at trying to win £45k ;) oh well, I wouldnt have even been in the comp at all if I didn't sell action so can't complain at £9k. Emma bought me a very nice phone for Xmas and we're going to San Francisco soon anyway to see Emma's brother but yeh I'll put a few quid aside.... Emma has been pestering that she wants laminate flooring for ages lol, and the rest will go to opening up bigger opportunities as you say.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sigh
    Get up to date, Jac

Ok, that's phone and holiday sorted.

As you were :)
  • edited February 2014
    great result............mega weekend.............I loved every minute of it ............ even when my aa gets busted by runna runna flush lol.........but I would change nothing as got it all in good...different river and I cash.....ho hum ..... cant wait for spt's.

well played lambert...your result spurs me on :)
  • edited February 2014
    Superb result, congratulations to you Paul, and to all those who bought pieces.

You picked a pretty good time to call-in some of that run-good you're owed!
  • edited February 2014

Top result mate enjoy

• edited February 2014
    Well done mate, well earned.

You having a break, or straight back to the grind?
  • edited February 2014
    vwp Paul
    more aggression on your exit hand and you might have taken it down
    but mustn't pick out a single hand
    to get where you did takes huge skill
    vwp
  • edited February 2014
    vwp Paul more aggression on your exit hand and you might have taken it down but mustn't pick out a single hand to get where you did takes huge skill vwp
    Posted by GELDY
    I don't want to take it down though (yet), K722 is about as safe as it gets for me to know I'm definitely ahead, short of some horrible cooler if he has AK/K7/K2/77/22. If I raise at any point I'll just make him fold all his bluffs, of which there are many, and pretty much any hand he can have which is behind can only ever have 3 outs.

I could take it down very often pre by 3betting but I hate if he 4bets/puts me all in and KQ is miles ahead of the range he's opening so I'll just be making him fold loads of stuff I crush

Thanks, it was very very tough, especially the FT. IIRC there were 3 players with $500k+ of live cashes and that's not even including Thewy. Nearly every player had a hendon mob as long as your arm
  • edited February 2014
    That river is pretty disgusting. Ughhhh what a spot.

I think the line you took up to the river is fine.

Personally I think any 3b option pre has to be a shove, 3b/call with K high and 3b/fold with a hand as strong as KQ high both suck balls.

I maybe would have shoved 25x total, rather than play OOP with awkward stacks against a player you know is going to make it difficult, but nothing against flatting.

Raising flop or turn would be pretty terrible without a serious aggressive post flop dynamic.

The river is just horrible OOP v a good agro player who you know is repping this every single time. ughhhhhhh.

The fact he barrels the blank turn would maybe talk me into believing he had a value hand from the flop though, so I would probably click call too. If he has AK, whatever.

Spose this is a level or 2 above the €2r tho :P

wp & congrats again.

PS idcu can't post, but he says well played, and that he always knew you could do it! ;)
  • edited February 2014
    very well played M8..
  • edited February 2014
    Great result Paul, vwd!