You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Congratulations on great result.
    WP.
  • edited February 2014
    Fantastic result vwp sir. Epitomises what the UKPC was all about and will be inspirational to all on here I'm sure. I'm really gutted to have missed the festival personally. It seems like the whole sky community really showed what it has to offer on a national scale and that can only be good for the game as a whole. Well done to everyone who represented the community so well, the UKPC seems to have been better received than anyone could have hoped for! :)
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Paul

I read this thread nearly every day a big congrats to you.

use some of the money to go and treat yourself.
  • edited February 2014
    VWP sir, you must be delighted
  • edited February 2014
    Cracking result, very well played.

• edited February 2014
    Vwp....Great result. Congratulations
  • edited February 2014
    wd again- do I remember swapping 10% with you at the start of day 2? :)
  • edited February 2014

Well done Lambo, not bad for a bluenose lol.
  • edited February 2014
    nice score fella, i was gonna do the same as you and have a crack at the 150rebuy.. and see what happens.  Soo much value in this fest, massive achievement imo and exactly the right shot to take to give ya a new sense of drive and love for the game. 

If i were you i'd skip 50nl now and just table/seat select really well locking down god seats between 100nl-400nl.... reducing your tables down to 4. 

Good luck on your adventure!! 

• edited February 2014
    great work paul now the moneys already made so you don't have to spend months moving up the cash stakes slowly as you can just make the big leap up to the higher levels right away.
    The joy MTTs, now all you have to do be avoid the positive tilt.
  • edited February 2014
    Superb effort Paul. Your first major tourney and you come 3rd,
     you can talk the talk and showed them you can walk the walk .WP 

Regards Alan 
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's funny, it was a really great feeling and completely surreal just thinking how much my payout was increasing with every bustout but as people always say with MTTs.... 'no matter how much you cash for, if you don't win you're always a bit disappointed'... I really wanted to take it down, and when we got 3handed it was anyone's game, but hey I won't complain!

I did a new blog about UKPC/my deep run,  it's largely what I've pasted here (for the non-forum readers) but with just a few pics added, so if anyone is interested...

• edited February 2014
    any plans with the bink mate? i dont mean private stuff just re investing in poker type thing?
  • edited February 2014
    Very Well Done mate

Was about a year ago when i told you that i was certain you would be playing 100/200nl within the year so you timed it right.

Youve done evrything right and deserve what you have achieved

Good luck

Daz.
  • edited February 2014
    well played btw, lovely result in a very tough comp
  • edited February 2014

An astonishing performance, Paul, many congratulations.

I doubt you could find a tougher 400 runner 6-Max field than that, anywhere.

Be proud, & enjoy the plaudits.

Abso delighted for you.

• edited February 2014
    Again, thanks for all the kind words. 

It certainly was a vv tough field and it was a great experience to share a table with the likes of Matt Perrins, Rupinder Bedi, Simon Deadman, Julian Thew just to name a few. My proudest moment in poker was always being picked by yourself (Tikay) to be part of TSP but this is certainly challenging for top spot now.

I'm not gonna be doing anything crazy, I'll be taking the sensible route. Me and Emma have been putting money into savings for a long time towards buying a house and a big amount of my bink will just get added to this fund. Putting a chunk of it away also just increases how financially stable we are in the 'bad times' which is really important if you're playing full time. 

My day-to-day grind is probably not gonna change at all, but it does help me take a couple more shots at live games which I've been really eager to do for a long time. I'll probably play stuff like GPS because the BIs are smaller than other tours like UKIPT, although will probably still give the odd UKIPT sat a go.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- UKPC 6-max Blog:
    Again, thanks for all the kind words.  It certainly was a vv tough field and it was a great experience to share a table with the likes of Matt Perrins, Rupinder Bedi, Simon Deadmon, Julian Thew just to name a few. My proudest moment in poker was always being picked by yourself (Tikay) to be part of TSP but this is certainly challenging for top spot now. I'm not gonna be doing anything crazy, I'll be taking the sensible route. Me and Emma have been putting money into savings for a long time towards buying a house and a big amount of my bink will just get added to this fund. Putting a chunk of it away also just increases how financially stable we are in the 'bad times' which is really important if you're playing full time.  My day-to-day grind is probably not gonna change at all, but it does help me take a couple more shots at live games which I've been really eager to do for a long time. I'll probably play stuff like GPS because the BIs are smaller than other tours like UKIPT, although will probably still give the odd UKIPT sat a go.
    Posted by Lambert180

so not going too sit with rosiedog then??

Nice and sensible mate hope all goes well for you..  well done again.   

• edited February 2014
    Boom! Looks like the MTT heater continues for me.

Just finished playing the The Storm €2 rebuy in France and took it down for €525
  • edited February 2014
    Nice - confidennce must be sky high - Nice result
  • edited March 2014
    Well it's fair to say February was a pretty great month in terms of total profit thanks to the UKPC. I finished just shy of a 5 figure profit month (remember I had to give 50% of my UKPC cash back to stakers) which is a great month by anyone's standards.

My first month on the staking was pretty frustrating in terms of results. I played pretty well all month, the action was better than I expected (I'm generally able to play up to 12 tables if I want to - I'm tending to stick to 6 atm though), and the games are soft. Unfortunately I ran pretty bad, just seemed to be running into the top of peoples ranges over and over again. Everyime I'd be like 'ok, well he can have X, Y and Z here... oh he's got top set again' lol.

Can't complain though, I obviously didn't run THAT bad because my month's losses were fairly small in terms of BIs (about -5 BIs IIRC).

===============================================

March has got off to a flyer though!

I saw the new rakerace promo on Sky and as I got <500 points last month I'll be in the bronze tier. I might be in with a shout of winning something half decent if I play some 50NL here alongside the other cash tables on the stake. So figured I'll do that for a couple of days, see how I measure up on the leaderboard and see if it's worth continuing or just using that screen space for more cash tables on the stake.

Tonight I had the first taste of the serious reduction in action on here. I was playing pretty much the whole night 8pm til just gone midnight, and it's Saturday night, one of the absolute peak periods of the site and the best I could do was get FOUR tables of 50NL running. It can't even be blamed on capped games cos there was only about 3 of them running. Maybe all these rakeraces have just burnt everyone out... or they're busting the weaker players quicker than normal. Either way it's a shame to only see 4 tables of 50NL on a Saturday night.

So I played 6 tables on my stake, 3 x 100NL and 3 x 200NL and finished +$550
    Then on my other monitor I was on all 4 of the 50NL tables that were running and finished +£250

So a great start to the month for me, long may it continue!
  • edited March 2014
    Well done m8, good  to see ur hard work paying off lately, nice change from the brutal downswings.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Well done m8, good  to see ur hard work paying off lately, nice change from the brutal downswings.
    Posted by foldUfairy
    Cheers Fairy. Its definitely nice to be putting some good results together. As always in poker, that next big downswing can always be just round the next corner so I'm just making hay while the sun shines. 
  • edited March 2014
    Another cash session tonight. My other site went a bit rubbish, nothing much went my way in any decent sized pot, was only about -$100 though just before the end of the session then just before I'm standing I get AA and think 'come on, a chance to get break even...' so I 3bet someone's open, they peel JJ and flop a set, that's a bit urgh but then to make it worse the river gives me the nut flush and him the boat so obv stacked off for the full $200

Sky went a little better though, nothing major but I 4tabled 50NL again and finished about +£65. Obviously it's always fun when you're winning but I'm really enjoying playing back on Sky. There's something familiar and nice about playing on here that I've missed recently.

I'll definitely take that for the first 2 days of the month anyway, a little over +£300 on Sky on my own money and about +$250 on the staking.
  • edited March 2014
    Hey Paul, good few weeks then. Think you said as part of the staking you were getting some coaching, has that happened and do you feel it has made a big difference to your game (cash or mtt)?
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Greg,

I haven't actually had any coaching yet due to my own laziness. Basically before a coaching session I need to send all my HEM data over to the guy so he can review it beforehand and come to the session ready with some things he wants to go through with me. I spent a while not knowing how to do it (and not getting round to asking them), eventually asked them how to do, then spent a bit longer not getting round to actually sending it lol. Shouldn't laugh, it's just pure laziness/forgetfullness I sent all my data over recently so gonna be having a session any day now. A few people have asked a similar question to you so I'll post up here to let people know how it went/how beneficial I thought it was once I do the session. Fwiw, I'm only playing cash on the stake and so the coaching will only be for cash.

===============================================================

The strong start to March has continued. Tonight's results were....

About +$140 on the staked cash
    I lost £45 @ 50NL on Sky

Action was terrible again at 50NL, literally can't remember it ever being this bad. I remember that 40NL used to be the 'dead level' cos everyone either played 30NL or 50NL so it never ran... now 50NL is near enough as dead as 40NL was back then.

So played most of the night with 2 tables (not counting the 6 tables of staked cash on another site), managed to get up to 3 tables a couple of hours in, so I decided to play an £11 BH to fill some screen space. Only went and luckboxed the win from 151 runners...

Lambert1803020001£205.74 + £109.56 Head Prizes10£31.11
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Paul 

Havent followed this much over the last 6 months but started reading recently, when I was trying to qualify for the sky fest main, but really just wanna offer my 2pence regarding staking. 

If I were you, i would not get staked imo. Never.  If you get into a hole then the makeup becomes such a burden to you game that it will suck the life out what you enjoy(w/o a steady income), and moving to a site where seating scripts, table selectors, PT4/Hem and Russian PTR datamining takes place is a bad line.... as the regs are soo superior in table selection, volume, pushing small edges and the reg:fish ratio is horrid.  The bulk of your winnings will typically come from making the highest loyalty status with insane volume imo. 

You should fight to keep rakeback your own as part of any deal you make. Say for instance on sky you could make £1k per month with rakeback, as soon as you get staked you need to make double that on a much harder terraine. 

I would seriously just stick to sky, do some research on coaches you can work with and pay for some coaching outright.  And then seat select between 100nl-300nl with a daily stop loss and play less tables... the instant reduction in rake compared to the winrate you can sustain at that level will set you up for greater stability on this journey of yours imo.  

Either way, good luck fella!! 

• edited March 2014
    Your on fire Paul!! You should be giving out the lessons, don't think you need them the way you are going at the moment.
  • edited March 2014
    Well it continues again Greg ;)  ... in a fashion.

Experienced polar opposites of variance across my 2 sites tonight. Ran great on Sky but terrible on my staked site. I lost 2 pots in the space of 5 mins @ 200NL on there, both times the money went in pre and they were AA v JJ and AA v QQ, both times they flopped a set so that was $800 worth of 2 outters... bleurgh. Finished the night -$350 with my EV line saying I should be like +$200 but oh well, getting it in good is what it's all about.

Sky was the opposite, I did lots of the getting there on here. Tbf I like to think I played pretty well too but there was a spot where I flatted a 3bet w/ JJ, C/C on something like 238r and then didn't believe he had it on the K turn when I really should have folded... he didn't have the K, he just had AA lol... and I rivered the J.

Another big get there was when I 3bet KK and villian 4bets, we're both 200xBB deep and against the sizing he used I just KNOW I'm beat, and I so wanna fold, was so close to folding but I'm such a little fish that I just can't fold so I peel, get some ridic good flop like K83r and obv he has AA and we GII on the flop for a 400xBB pot.

I did get a couple of ugly outdraws too though so it wasn't all plain sailing but the end result was a +£300 session. Pretty amazing start to March being almost +£1k on Sky in 5 days and back down to about break even (before RB) on my other site after tonight.

• edited March 2014
    Cheers for the advice TPTP. I agree with a lot of it if my circumstances were slightly different but with the £18k bink I'd sold 50% of myself for the tourney so I got £9k and £6.5k of it was banked towards savings to buy a house. So I did increase my roll a fair bit but nothing astronomical and even with very very good table selection I don't think I'm rolled for 100/200NL+ on my own money unless I just wanna be a massive bum hunter and not play a pot against anyone but the 'big fish at the table' which I aint gonna be.

I assume you're talking about ipoker predominantly for all that stuff? Cos I haven't actually played on ipoker on the stake yet, I'm happy playing on the smaller site, and it's fairly soft on there with mostly US players. Rakeback isn't a big part of my profit tbh, like I've never even made close to £500 in one month on Sky. I remember a fellow poker player (whose played for a living for a good while now) said to me when I told him about going pro 'if you can't make a living from the game pre-rakeback, then you need to find a different profession' and I completely agree with that.

I do have to pay double the rake to get the same RB but then the stakes I'm playing are more than double what I'm playing on my own £££ so rake/RB will be double with just the same volume, plus I get a WAY better % on there than I do on Sky (I'd never reach the 30k points on Sky to get the max 30% RB, on there I get 50% regardless). Plus playing that much higher means pots get to the rake cap SO much easier so most of the pots are reaching the effective 'rake-free' area.