You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited March 2014
    UL in tha main Lambo. I cant run deep in a main to save my life this year. so frustrating!

checked out the SNG lobby... looks like you have started your SNG challenge. Good luck!

• edited March 2014
    Easy fold vs TommyD the nit
  • edited March 2014
    Feels ages since I've updated.

SnG challenge is going really well atm, I've played 22 of my games and have an ROI of 57.5% atm which imo is WAY above what's needed for top 6 but every game is so crucial that it can all change quickly. I've had a little fiddle about on ChickenMelt's spreadsheet to estimate possible outcomes of my last 8 games...

IIRC, I'd have to lose 8/8 of the last games to drop my ROI to about 19% which is prob 10-15% short of what's needed to make top 6. If I can win 2 of the last 8 games (and 6 losses) then I think that'll be a lock for a seat as it'll be 40%+. Well not counting any chickens yet anyway, I know how brutal variance can be and I could easily just come 6th 8 times in a row in my next 8 games.

Outside of the SnGs, have had a couple of small wins @ 50NL since my last post, prob a total of +£200 ish, and slowly getting back to winning ways on the stake too, nothing big but steadily winning more than I'm losing.
  • edited March 2014
    First non-poker update for a while. I went to see Need for Speed the other day with Emma... obv it was her idea to go and obv 90% of the reason she wanted to see it was cos it's got 'Jessie Pinkman' in it.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Of course it's your fairly standard action film but if you treat it for what it is, then it's a pretty good film. One of the things I heard about prior to seeing the film when Aaron Paul (Jessie) was on Top Gear was that the film contains no CGI at all. There are quite a lot of big stunts, cars flipping/rolling etc (if you like that sort of thing) and that's not really my thing but it was pretty impressive that they were all 'real'. Most of these films try to make you feel for the main character at some point.... ya know, someone close to them dies or whatever and they're trying to right a wrong or whatever and usually it's complete rubbish and I never connect with them but it worked quite well in this... although I can't help but think that's cos I've just finished Breaking Bad and in my head I was really connected to Jessie.

Also I practically never go to the cinema cos it's so rare that a film ever comes out these days that I think is good enough to warrant paying a tenner to see, so this visit was my first time ever seeing a film in 3D and I must say I was pretty impressed. I expected it to make barely any difference at all but it was pretty decent.

Just remembered to mention it too. A week or two ago me and Emma booked tickets for the live show David Brent and Foregone Conclusion, can't wait. There were only like 4 dates on the whole tour!! (2 in London, 2 in Oxford). Most famous people I wouldn't be that fussed about but Gervais is right up there on the list of people where I'd be proper starstruck to meet/see up close, he's an absolute genius.

• edited March 2014
    Been reading a lot of fables recently and I love them so thought I'd share a couple a day...

This one was credited to Orson Welles...

A bear is standing by the edge of a lake about to cross it when a scorpion asks if he can sit on his back to get across the lake. The bear says 'of course not, if I let you on my back you'll sting me'. The scorpion says 'don't be stupid, if I string you, you'll die and we'll both drown'. So the bear takes him across the lake on his back. Half way across the lake the scorpion stings the bear and the bear says 'why did you do that, we're both going to die now?' and the scorpion says 'yes it's my nature'.

==========================================

An old lion is dying in his cave. All the other animals, the foxes, the hyenas, the rabbits etc. are coming round to the cave to laugh at him. Just before he dies the lion says 'fine, but I was a lion once'.
  • edited March 2014
    So I think I owe a bit of thanks to JJ for tonight's work. I wasn't gonna bother but he badgered me into playing the roller so I ended up playing it and selling him 25%

Well I only went and finally FT'd my first ever Sky ME. Nice to get that monkey off my back, now I just need to go and win one. It was a tad annoying that the very first hand on the FT was JJ<KK for me and that left me with 1xBB but I can't complain, it's an MTT so I obv ran vv good to even make the FT.

TimmyRaRa618246.50  foldUfairy603684.50  SoLack408818  gadgerno1301223.50  BIGSHANN238027.50  Lambert18006£1163.12
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- Need For Speed:
    So I think I owe a bit of thanks to JJ for tonight's work. I wasn't gonna bother but he badgered me into playing the roller so I ended up playing it and selling him 25% Well I only went and finally FT'd my first ever Sky ME. Nice to get that monkey off my back, now I just need to go and win one. It was a tad annoying that the very first hand on the FT was JJ<KK for me and that left me with 1xBB but I can't complain, it's an MTT so I obv ran vv good to even make the FT. TimmyRaRa 618246.50     foldUfairy 603684.50     SoLack 408818     gadgerno1 301223.50     BIGSHANN 238027.50     Lambert180 0 6 £1163.12
    Posted by Lambert180
    VWP Paul!!

I Tried to get there with You, but only managed 12th!!

Youy Results Coming thick & Fast Now, Keep pushing On with Confidence!!
  • edited March 2014
    So I think I owe a bit of thanks to JJ for tonight's work. I wasn't gonna bother but he badgered me into playing the roller so I ended up playing it and selling him 25% Well I only went and finally FT'd my first ever Sky ME. Nice to get that monkey off my back, now I just need to go and win one. It was a tad annoying that the very first hand on the FT was JJ<KK for me and that left me with 1xBB but I can't complain, it's an MTT so I obv ran vv good to even make the FT. TimmyRaRa 618246.50     foldUfairy 603684.50     SoLack 408818     gadgerno1 301223.50     BIGSHANN 238027.50     Lambert180 0 6 £1163.12
    Posted by Lambert180

nice work Lambo.

Was a right pain having you on my left last night - the rest of the table were quite passive, only you were 3betting me with any frequency. Of course, all perfectly timed to avoid my big hands.

• edited March 2014
    Cheers both.

Very well played Dave.

Yeah I was lucky to have pretty soft tables all the way (apart from you obv), very unlucky to have that QQ<88 in the late stages.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by Lambert180
    The KK v AT hand springs to mind :)

Seriously though, VWP was railing on the sly for an hour until I had to get some sleep. Came on the forum today expecting to see that you took it down but you can never complain about a ft

Just shows what hard work and dedication can do for your game, some fantastic results recently. Nice one
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by Lambert180
    Very well played Paul. Seen the leader board on the 861 throughout the night,
     you were in the top ranking for most of it. Thought this was going to be the one.
     Keep plugging away sir it won't be long.

Regards Alan
  • edited March 2014
    Lol Waller, yeh that was quite nice. Swings and roundabouts I guess, he got very lucky to outdraw me, I got very lucky to re-outdraw him.

Tyvm both, shame I couldn't go a bit further, and I'm sure the ME win will come when it comes but I'm certainly not gonna turn my nose up at 4 figure cashes.
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers both. Very well played Dave. Yeah I was lucky to have pretty soft tables all the way (apart from you obv), very unlucky to have that QQ<88 in the late stages.
    Posted by Lambert180

sigh. yeah, reaaally could of done with holding then. Never recovered after that. Its suprising how much less you get pushed around when you have a reasonable stack!

I dont know if you adjusted to me at all, but at first it seemed like you were letting me get away with too much (i was probably opening 50%+ at one point lol), but you soon put a stop to it - I found it very hard to accumilate chips after you started to 3bet me etc.

anyway, I look forward to the roles being reversed next time! (take note sky, my turn to go on the left next time!)
  • edited March 2014
    Been meaning to update for a while but aint got round to it...

Yeah Melt I constantly do this stupid thing where I level myself and start overthinking things tons. So was cruising along nicely on a pretty soft table and then you joined. I know you're good and were gonna be opening alot (especially on that table) but my thought was that if I instantly start 3betting you then you're gonna know that I know you're good and may think I'm just taking advantage so start playing back at my 3bets and I didn't really wanna get into massive levelling wars that leads to me blowing a big stack against the only good player at the table. So I let you get away with it for a bit, with the plan being that once I did start being a bit more cheeky, you'd  give me more credit for it because I'd let you get away with it up to that point.

===========================================================

After my bink last Sunday I've locked up a roughly £2k profit for the month on Sky so have decided to put all my focus into winning as much as possible on the stake for the rest of the month. May pop back for the roller or something, but no more cash for March on Sky.

Things been going better on there recently, got a little bit of MU to get myself out of but I've took a chunk out of it in the last few days and it won't take long at all if I can keep a bit of consistency to my results.

Also I've had some coaching now since my last update here and I'm really happy with the coaching. The coaching was gonna be a deal breaker for me and judging by what I've had so far, it's gonna help me improve tons. It's funny how when you first start improving at poker and you're getting told that in a hand you have to be thinking about our stack size, villian stack sizes, ranges, image etc etc and at first it's like ffs that's SO much to think about every single hand, but before long it's totally standard and you do it without even thinking.

Now after that session I'm back to thinking 'ffs that's SO much to think about every single hand' lol. But it's a good feeling, it's the first time in ages where I really think working hard at this is gonna make really big improvements in my game, as oppose to alot of stuff in the past which has just been tiny tweaks here and there.

I've been a bit lazy in the past, I've been learning new stuff but I've been choosing to focus on the easy things to improve which give smaller benefits and are less of a shock to the system. In reality I'm just too tight in all aspects of my cash game because that's the safe, easy way to play but I'll never be as good/win as much as I want to by using this style.

• edited March 2014
    Your brain must hurt too much with all this thinking!

Try my way maybe
    'Do any of my cards match those on the board?'
    If yes, bet
    If no, fold
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Your brain must hurt too much with all this thinking! Try my way maybe 'Do any of my cards match those on the board?' If yes, bet If no, fold
    Posted by Jac35

You must fold a lot of straights.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : You must fold a lot of straights.
    Posted by gazza127
    Runs?

Next level stuff, I guess
  • edited March 2014
    Wiii just finished another winning session on the stake and now in profit for the month, plus I'll be getting my RB today which is like $250-$300 (it's paid weekly) plus I get the rakerace money (also weekly) this weekend which is another $150-$200.

So got a little bit of MU to get rid of from the first month but my RB/Promo money that I'm getting in the next day or two covers most of that, couple more good results this month and then I'm right back on track. (in profit lifetime) after a very rubbish start to the stake.
  • edited March 2014
    Wiii just finished another winning session on the stake and now in profit for the month, plus I'll be getting my RB today which is like $250-$300 (it's paid weekly) plus I get the rakerace money (also weekly) this weekend which is another $150-$200. So got a little bit of MU to get rid of from the first month but my RB/Promo money that I'm getting in the next day or two covers most of that, couple more good results this month and then I'm right back on track. (in profit lifetime) after a very rubbish start to the stake.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul

always read your blog. Like to get to your standard in the future. What site do you plan cash on and is it  the best for RB?

Thanks

Darryn
  • edited March 2014
    Not tempted to sack off the stake after your 6max bink and Roller FT? (assuming its possible to walk away). Those results must have swollen your roll on Sky?

I know the coaching must be useful however.

Apologies if its not something you want to get into on here!
  • edited March 2014
    @Darryn - It's a relatively small site on the Winning Poker network called Ladspoker. To be honest, I don't know what their normal RB is because the people that stake me to play on there get preferential RB so I get 50% RB btu I don't know what the 'normal' people playing on their own money get. Even still 50% aint the best out there, pretty sure you can get 60% maybe more through rakeback websites if you play on ipoker.

@Harry - Nah don't mind discussing it on here at all, I've always been happy to talk about anything on here. I did consider it for a bit but I think it's better all round for my longevity that I stay as I am. A few reasons...

1) I'm playing $200NL with them so that's like £120NL if it was in pounds. If I wanted to play that I'd deffo want over £10k in my roll. Remember I sold 50% of my 6max action so I only got £9k of it and I banked a large amount of that to add to our 'buying a house' fund.

2) Now I've had a chance to test out the coaching I think it's gonna be hugely beneficial so even if I thought this would be slightly worse financially, I think the coaching gives it a big plus longterm. I'm not happy with mediocrity/plodding along doing pretty well at mid stakes... obviously it's good now and pays the bills but I want to keep improving, learn to beat the games more and more, move up etc etc. I don't mean I wanna get to the real nosebleeds of like £100/£200 (blinds I mean) but ideally would like to be comfortable and level out maybe at 500NL/1000NL ($$$). Long way off obv but I think sticking with them gives me a MUCH better chance of getting there.

3) I have less (none) of the worry of increasing my roll to move up on there. Once I have a proven track record of being a winner at 100/200NL and they think I'm good enough then they can just decide I'll start playing 400NL for instance and there's no pressure on me to make sure I'm rolled etc because it's all on them. So basically I get to keep 100% of my profit split every month for life stuff and don't have to worry about setting aside X amount for moving up stakes.

4) I get to use HEM. I knew it would come in very useful but I really wasn't getting half as much benefit out of it as I should/could be but just 1 coaching session where we went through a ton of things on HEM, he gave me a new HUD setup/template and already I can see what a big difference it'll make.

==========================================================

On a side note, I was randomly just having a quick flick through this diary earlier today and it's nuts to look back at some it now. I didn't read it all, just jumped from page to page like had a peak at page 7, jump to page 12, jump to page 15 etc. There was one point where I was bragging/happy that I was gonna finish with a +£10 month lol. You only have to go back as far as like Sept 2012 and I was grinding 4NL (it can be done Donald!)
  • edited March 2014
    thanks for sharing Paul
  • edited March 2014
    thanks for sharing Paul
    Posted by GELDY
    Yup +1

N1 Paul
  • edited March 2014
    On a side note, I was randomly just having a quick flick through this diary earlier today and it's nuts to look back at some it now. I didn't read it all, just jumped from page to page like had a peak at page 7, jump to page 12, jump to page 15 etc. There was one point where I was bragging/happy that I was gonna finish with a +£10 month lol. You only have to go back as far as like Sept 2012 and I was grinding 4NL (it can be done Donald!)
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol nice rub Paul. 
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers Dave and Geldy.

It wasn't meant to be a rub Don lol, just know sometimes you get frustrated and feel like it's pointless grinding away at 4NL but was just saying 'look what can come from that if you put the work in'.

==================================

Well today has been a bit sh!t all round, will post about it a bit later but really cba at the moment. It did lead to me having a lot of freetime on my own with nothing to do though so I ended up writing 2 poker strat guides lol... standard Lambo usage of time.

One is about BRM (boooooring for most, but lots post asking about it) which I'll post right now. The other one that may be a bit more interesting is a basic guide to MTTs. It's not hugely in depth and won't go into different ranges you should be oplaying at different times etc (and that would be very hard/impossible anyway as it's largely down to the table you're on) but just a bit about the different stages of tournaments, how/when you should change geats etc. The MTT isn't quite finished, just a tiny bit of work to do on it but will be up vv soon.
  • edited March 2014
    No Nl4 guide paul ;) 

Looking forward to the guides. Hope the issues get sorted. 
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers Don. Nah don't wanna tread on JJ's feet :) His guide is plenty good enough though.

Ok so the moans/issues...

This is just a side point but I got woke up at about 4am Friday morning with what at the time I thought was toothache, but I got out of bed and I realised it was really bad earache. I know that sounds weird but it's because it hurt the whole left side of my face. That ear is still completely blocked and I can't hear anything out of it.

On Thursday I had to get my car MOT'd and serviced which cos £160, they said they thought I had an oil leak but fixed it by adjusting the pressure switch. The day before I also had to tax it which cost £220.

Then today I'm driving up to Liverpool to see my daughter, I get about 20 miles into the 170 mile journey, I'm on the M40, then I hear a loud bang, see a huge plume of black smoke come from my bonnet and swiftly get over to the hard shoulder...

I call the AA man and wait 45 mins for him to turn up and take me to the nearest services (Warwick), he's just a recovery guy so says he can't do anything but he's got a guy on his way to the services to have a look at it and potentially tow me home if that's the only option. So I sit at the services for another hour waiting for the 2nd guy to turn up.... I did go to Burger King so it wasn't all bad ;) This is where I was sat on my own bored with only a laptop for company (with no internet access) so wrote the 2 guides mentioned above.

He eventually turns up, I explain what happened and the recent servicing info and before he even looked at the car he said something along the lines of 'I think your car is f&cked' lol. He checks under the bonnet, jacks it up and has a look under and then says 'yeah, there was a fault with the oil pump so no oil was actually going into the engine so it's basically blown a big hole in your engine'. In short, I'd need a new engine which would cost more than the £1600 I paid for the car so that's gg car.

So he's gonna just tow me home, but my AA cover through my bank only covers me to be taken home if I'm within 10 miles and I was 36 miles away (the 20 miles I'd done + some for being taken to the services). So my two options are upgrade my cover via the bank which is ~£150 OR take out a brand new policy direct with the AA for £69 so that was an easy decision, and I can get the policy transferred over to Emma's car tomorrow.

So he towed me home the old fashioned way with a tow bar, a journey that took a little over an hour cos you obv can't go that fast while towing. I have terrible travel sickess... it's not an issue when I'm driving but I'm sure other sufferers will know that it's worse when you're in the back seat, I think it's something to do with not being able to see moving scenery etc in front of you. Well ofc I'm like 2ft behind an AA van so can't see a single thing and feel like I'm gonna puke for pretty much the entire journey home, which is probably made worse by my ear problem cos it's your inner ear that messes with your sense of balance/whether you feel dizzy etc. Pretty much the worst hour of my life that I can remember for quite some time and I paid £69 for the privilege 

So I felt rough with the ear, I now feel like death, I'm £69 worse off and no longer have a car after getting it MOT'd/serviced just 2 days ago :D

On the plus side, I can send my tax disc back and get most of the £220 back, and cancel my insurance to get some £££ back. 
  • edited March 2014
    On the plus side at least you can get yourself a better car now
  • edited March 2014
    that story's brutal -  i hate cars lol

last year I was driving along, in my automobile, (sorry couldnt resist lol) when i heard a weird noise when i chnaged gear about a mile from my house. Gentle free wheeled it home and then phoned a mate who's a mechanic. He drove it about and said yh there's something seriously wrong with your gearbox you'll need to get that looked at. Phoned AA guy who then came and looked at it and drove it about a bit and said yh that needs to go into a grage. Took it to garage and they said yh no-one should have been driving that car at all lol 

gg gear box, fly wheel and a strut (pretty sure that  one was the garage just wanting a few extra quid) and gg £1500!! any slight creak or noise from the car now has me terrified.

I hate cars!!

Edit: 170 mile journey to see your daughter - kudos!! that must be tough (being so far apart) and I bet there's a lot of people wouldnt make that effort!
  • edited March 2014
    that modern day sage, tyler durden said that the things you own end up owning you. few possessions exemplify that more than effin cars.

look forward to the MTT guide. i am terribad at them.

paul, you are a boss lad.