You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited January 2015
    No 2014 cash game review?
  • edited January 2015
    sure matt bates credits mark with helping him with his endgame strat.

given that you've often ran deep but found the big wins elusive i'm sure that taking the staking deal will be massively + ev

i'm currently in a staking / coaching deal for husngs and its been the best thing i have ever done. just having access to people to bounce ideas off is enough, when those people include some great poker minds its not just +ev its actually exciting.

as you have lots of time [being a baller pro, innit] just throw yourself into it. ask questions, post hands attend all the coaching you can and make the most of it.

best of luck mate
  • edited January 2015
    Hey lambo, How you doing? You pro yet?
  • edited January 2015
    Been 'pro' for 12+ months now Shaun, some may say in the loosest sense of the word.

Cheers all, yeah Ryan worked/think still does work with MW afaik, either way it should be an amazing opportunity so I'm gonna really get my head down and not waste the chance.

@BBMIke - Yeah maybe that sums up how I felt about the year that I forgot to talk about it lol. Cash went decent but I got complacent when it comes to improving/studying. I finished off just below where I wanted to be really... my aim for the end of the year was to be fully accomplished/grinding 100NL all the time, but I finished just grinding 50NL as my regular game and shot taking at 100NL (had taken a few different shots at it throughout the year, including some 200NL shots at good tables). If my shots had went a bit better, it'd probably be a different story but can't complain, the year still went well, still got a good roll, and still maintained our comfortable lifestyle so can't be too bad (despite numerous problems like cars blowing up and spending £2k on an ill cat). The UKPC fiasco didn't help matters, I ended up break even on the whole but that still involved me effectively buying in direct to a £500 comp which I wouldn't have done, which I bricked so was technically a -£500 affair.
  • edited January 2015
    Larson7 mentioned yesterday he was gonna play alot more MTTs this year and asked me if I wanted an MTT prop bet so I've taken him up on the offer. £50 goes to the person who has the most MTT profit in the first 6 months of 2015, so results will be checked on 1st July. Would be nice to bink my UKPC tomorrow night to get a nice £1k head start! I'll get Pingu to skope us both once a month or something and post how we're both doing here.

I finalled (and almost won) my first MTT of the year tonight which has made it a decent night. Went semi deep in main finishing 140/478 with £25 of heads, bricked 2 £11 BHs, came 33/99 in £55 BH with £18.75 of heads, bust AK<KQ aipf :(

Early bath in the mini, and played a £10 UKPC Semi Direct with the intention of playing the Semi and trying to take the £220 cash (cos you can't pre-reg for the 220 but already got a seat now), bubbled the seats in the Semi Direct though for £40.

The FT was an £11 BH, and I finished 2nd for £172. Frustrating cos such a big jump in the HU with obv the payjump + his head + your own head, was about £100+ difference for winning the HU but meh I ran well to get there so it's all good.

So as far as I know, took an early lead on Larson, but he'll probably go and bink the roller tomorrow now!
  • edited January 2015
    I wonder how much time you've wasted documenting how many heads you got in the mini :)
  • edited January 2015
    Dunno if Larson has played at all yet but either way he'll have taken the lead back cos Sunday sucked for me. Played a few less games than normal because last night was my first night playing for the stable. Bust the mini very early. Bust the UKPC Final about an hour in, that was a nightmare comp, pretty much won 0 hands in that hour. The Roller and £55 BH were both going well but I finished a few off the money in the roller and 1 off the bubble in £55 BH, but pretty much freerolled it from 2heads (although SS doesn't seem to have counted all my heads Ryan :p)

Under the stake I played 9 comps total across 4 sites. I only managed 2 runs/cashes, they were the biggest comps of the night as well, but sadly I didn't go super deep. I finished about 200/8500 in the Hot16 for about $60 and I finished about 500/5500 in the Big55 for about $100. The former had $24,000 ftw, the latter had £40,000 ftw.... would have been pretty sweet to make a real run in one of those on my first night! Bricked everything else though a small-ish loss of about $150.

I've said it before, but I'm feeling super motivated for this big change over to MTTs with Marc Wright & co, to crush in 2015. I'm gonna try and work my socks off this year and really put the work in to get the best results I can. One thing that's included in the deal/stable is Elite membership to RunItOnce (which I think is like $100/per month usually) so gonna get cracking on there, starting with a vid now that's ranked most popular, all about ICM.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Dunno if Larson has played at all yet but either way he'll have taken the lead back cos Sunday sucked for me. Played a few less games than normal because last night was my first night playing for the stable. Bust the mini very early. Bust the UKPC Final about an hour in, that was a nightmare comp, pretty much won 0 hands in that hour. The Roller and £55 BH were both going well but I finished a few off the money in the roller and 1 off the bubble in £55 BH, but pretty much freerolled it from 2heads (although SS doesn't seem to have counted all my heads Ryan :p) Under the stake I played 9 comps total across 4 sites. I only managed 2 runs/cashes, they were the biggest comps of the night as well, but sadly I didn't go super deep. I finished about 200/8500 in the Hot16 for about $60 and I finished about 500/5500 in the Big55 for about $100. The former had $24,000 ftw, the latter had £40,000 ftw.... would have been pretty sweet to make a real run in one of those on my first night! Bricked everything else though a small-ish loss of about $150. I've said it before, but I'm feeling super motivated for this big change over to MTTs with Marc Wright & co, to crush in 2015. I'm gonna try and work my socks off this year and really put the work in to get the best results I can. One thing that's included in the deal/stable is Elite membership to RunItOnce (which I think is like $100/per month usually) so gonna get cracking on there, starting with a vid now that's ranked most popular, all about ICM.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sounds a really good opportunity this Paul, good luck with it pal.
  • edited January 2015

Good luck with the prop bet with Larson.
    Who won the most last year?

• edited January 2015
    Good luck with the prop bet with Larson. Who won the most last year?
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Cheers. No idea tbh, but I'd imagine Larson cos last year I hardly played any MTTs. Posted my 2014 stats in the summary, only played like 400 comps and was abuot +£2300
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Sounds a really good opportunity this Paul, good luck with it pal.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    I'm down like 100-200, so am sure you are ahead! Don't have the Internet this week, so won't be playing properly til the weekend at the earliest. Gl man, hope you smash the mtts 
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Sounds a really good opportunity this Paul, good luck with it pal.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Cheers Hawk
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Cheers. No idea tbh, but I'd imagine Larson cos last year I hardly played any MTTs. Posted my 2014 stats in the summary, only played like 400 comps and was abuot +£2300
    Posted by Lambert180
    Oh rite cool well best of luck again pretty confident your have a good year in tourneys.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Lambert180(Paul), just a quick note to wish you all the best for 2015 in your poker endeavors. I must just quickly explain that i came across your blog on the forum a few days ago! and i'm sure we must have played a few years ago on £3/5/10 dyms. Anyway as i'm just out of work at the minute i have caught up on most forum posts...... meaning your year as a poker pro from post 1 in 2 days to now has flown by!(sent off 10 job applications as well) I hope Emma's brother in America (your potential brother-in-law) is much better,sounded very bad.Apologies for sounding like a stalker,i'm not. But reading through your blog in such quick time makes you appreciate the highs and lows any full time player must face.Keep updating please when you have time, and congrats on your new staking deal.

Cheers and all the best,

Dave.
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks Dave, it's always really nice to hear people reading/enjoying this... often it gets quiet in here and I feel like I'm just prattling on to myself.

==========================================================

Couple of days since an update...

Tuesday was pretty rubbish, pretty much bricks all round on Sky and other sites. The only 'cashes' were some heads in stuff like $27 KOs on stars.

Yesterday was better, could have been a sick day if I've done a bit better in a couple of the deep runs but turned out to be a pretty decent day anyway. Must get boring reading a list of bricked comps etc and it'll only get more boring as the list of comps I play per night gets longer and longer so just gonna mention the ones I cashed/came close.

888 $25 Deepy - Finished a couple off the money

Stars $8 Turbo - 500 runners and I came 28th for $26. There was $800 ftw in that and pretty gutting cos at the time of busting I was 12/28 and played this pot for near enough the CL.... such a grim runout

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/12421735_0393189909

888 $4r - Big comp this and amazing value, $4r rebuy but usually has $1k ftw (and did that day). FT'd it but just had no spots on the FT, didn't ever really have a spot on the FT where I had FE cos someone had always opened (and I was short) and didn't ever have a hand where I wanted a call. Managed to ladder 2 spots on the FT and get 7th for $150

That was the few (succesful) comps I played in the morning then in the night...

Sky £11 BH - Almost had my 2nd FT of the day here, tought I was cruising for a FT, 4/10 and really had control of the table, then lost a load of races, spun it back up, lost a load more races and it was gg, bust out(s) was back to back flips with PPs v Ax against the same guy, and both times the board double paired high enough to counterfeit me. Ended up 8th for £65. Sky is going awful atm, this is my first cash on here in what feels like quite a long time.

888 $11 Deepy - Cashed this (30 paid) and pay jumps are just so so tiny in this comp until the FT that you really gotta go ftw, and I took a pretty big flip for CL with AKvQQ... they teased me with Kxx flop but the Q turn was gg in 23rd for like $20

Party $50 Daily Major - This was the session saver, I was going good from start to finish really. It's a vv slow comp (probably a bit slower than the Roller), so takes ages but allows for plenty of play. It started at 9pm, got 234 runners but took until 3am to make a FT. 2 people bust out on the FT bubble so was only 8 when we got FT and 1 bust out first hand. Then I had a really sigh hand, I peel JTdd pre multiway, get Q95dd flop, loving life, jam over cbet happy to see pretty much any hand, I get called in 1 spot by QJo and manage to miss half the deck to bust in 7th for $520 (was $2k ftw).

===================================================

So I'm actually in profit for the stable now, just about, which I'm happy with cos I'm playing a lot of big comps and in only 3 days it's pretty likely anyone is gonna be in a hole. I got Pingu to set me up a SS group too, for anyone that doesn't know... if you're a member (which I'm not) of Sharkscope then you can set up these groups where you can basically search multiple aliases all in 1 consolidated search. So he's set up Lambo Stable for me which combines all my stuff on 888/stars/ipoker/party into 1 SS, just helps me to keep track of my volume and how I'm doing in nice graph form.

http://www.sharkscope.com/?357#Player-Statistics//networks/Player%20Group/players/Lambo%20Stable
  • edited January 2015
    Not updated in a while, cos not much has happened really, I'm pretty much break even in the stable (just less than -£50). I had another FT on Party the other day, found a comp that suits me down to the ground, $50 6-max turbo BH, that's my kinda game, played it the other night for the first time and finalled it, bust 5/76 for $220 + $90 in heads. Sigh spot w/ A6<A9 BvB just before FT, then spun it back up and had KQ<JT on the FT to take another head and go 4handed then bust shortly after.

Had an absolutely grim spot the other night too, deep in a $20 rebuy on Party, we're down to about 40 (something like 20 paid) and think I was like 12/40. We go to a flop 4way, a 5xBB stack jams on Q56dd flop, player A calls, everyone else has folded, me and player A are 40xBB effective and I rejam with AQo, he makes an unreal (but very welcome) call with 96o, then spikes trips on the river for a CL pot :( I'm left with next to nothing and bust shortly after.

Apart from that a few mincashes and lots of bricks. Pocket5s is starting to look a little bit more respectable, aiming to have total cashes up to $100k by the end of the year, slightly tall order but not completely unrealistic and you gotta aim high.

http://www.pocketfives.com/profiles/lambert180/

Been keeping up a pretty solid record on Sky over the last week of not cashing a single comp, all Larson has to do is just not play and he's a lock to win the £50 ;)

Played cash on Saturday night cos I was at my mum's and can't really get a big MTT grind on with just my laptop and no 2nd monitor, ran pretty rubbish, managed to only be -£40, but losing 2 pots totalling £200 when I GII on the turn miles ahead both times was les than ideal.

Positives though, I'm really happy with how I've played every single session so far in Jan, just need lady variance to gimme a break.
  • edited January 2015
    Good luck Paul with all your goals for the year.
  • edited January 2015
    Cheers Pat.

I just had what could have been a really epic night, and literally in the space of about 3 minutes it all just fell apart in the most grim fashion ever, I'd say it's gotta be the closest I've ever come to just breaking down in a session, just can't believe how unlucky I was in the most crucial spots of every run I had going.

Here was the bad 3 minutes...

Very late stages of the night where pretty much all comps are busto or very deep, and I got quite a few left. Then I have AK<A9 on a $22 FT on 888 to bust 9th for like 5x the BI ($1k ftw), then AQ<AT for a decent stack in $20rebuy on party to bust 20th with 18 paid (just over $2k ftw), then AA<66 to bust the £55 BH in 5th (£1k ftw), then had a pretty big flip in the main w/ 88 v Jordz's A9o and he rivered the A to leave me a bowl.

So I went from great shots in a bunch of comps, and GII miles ahead in all (bar the flip one) to having 1 left (the main) with like 7xBB in a handful of minutes, pretty crushing :(

So the £55 BH cash was £225, the $22 deepy was $107, I mincashed the big55 coming 230/2052 for $97, took 3 heads in that $50 6max turbo BH on party but just missed out of the cash so got $45, had a really deep run in a $13KO (BH) finishing 40/1307 for $50 ($2.2k ftw), managed to scrape 14th in the main for £100, and 16/172 in £11 BH for about £30.

Amazingly this is literally my first winning session on Sky in the whole of 2015 (including cash and MTT sessions)... ran pretty grim so far this month so hoping the tides turn soon.

Not done the numbers for the non-Sky stuff but think it was about break even, which is pretty frustrating with all the decent runs I had.
  • edited January 2015

Keep going bud big score wont be 2 far away.

• edited January 2015
    Cheers Timmy, yeah playing so many MTTs a night and seeing how often I'm getting into good spots deep, I know it's only a matter of time before I get some big scores.

I had a really short session yesterday, I didn't get much sleep the night before then I spent like 10am - 4pm putting together flat pack furniture so was pretty tired and not really feeling up to a grind but started anyway. Then like 15 mins into my session, Sky was just unplayable, it kept putting that loading wheel thing where the betting buttons are like it was trying to reconnect me or something. It did that on every single table for ages even though I had a Party table running perfectly, every 5 mins or so I'd actually get to see my hole cards but then be timed out before my betting buttons appeared, so just deregged all the Sky stuff that hadn't started (2 x £55 BHs and 1 x £11 BH), and just decided to not reg anything else so closed out the sky comps the best I could and played out my 1 comp on Party.

The party comp was my new favourite MTT, it's a $50 6-max Turbo BH... before tonight I'd played it twice, final tabled once and bust just outside the money another time but freerolled from heads, it's a similar structure to the MBI but the field is about 80-90 instead of 40 odd. Well last night I FT'd it again, this time I came 2nd and got just over $400 + $90 heads.

I thought it was gonna be my first win of the stable till a nasty river HU. Stacks were about even (I was slightly behind) about 115k v 120k at 2k/4k, he opened 79o, I 3bet KJcc and got a call. Flop was 236cc, I bet he calls, turn is an offsuit 8, I shove, he calls (!). I was pretty amazed to see I actually got called by worse than K high, and ofc a chunk of his outs were dead cos of my FD, but he rivered an offsuit 9. Cost me about $250 :(

Decent result though all the same so can't complain.

I realised the other day, I'd forgot to add my .fr alias to Pocket5s so did that + the party cash means total cashes are up to $3.7k.... only $94.3k more to meet my target :)
  • edited January 2015
    WP Lambert! Thought all that hyper practice would stand me good for HU but can't do much when we GII AK vs QQ!!
  • edited January 2015
    Cheers Ivan, wp to you too. Thought you were gonna run away with it with your CL but in that comp with the way stack sizes usually are, it can all change vv quickly.

So you were right Timmy, a big score did come along eventually.

On the Sky front, for some unknown reason Sky's software just would not load at all when I started my session at 7pm, I kept trying over and over (closed and tried to open again on and off for an hour) but it just wouldn't open which was really frustrating cos I love the roller but I really didn't wanna speend the whole session in the browser so just gave up. Then around 9:30pm I was thinking how annoying it was I was missing the 2 x £55 BHs too so decided to give it another shot and this time it loaded fine. Pretty happy I thought on to do that cos I ended up taking down the MBI for £750 and tried to replicate Bate's double but only got 6th in the 9pm £55 BH for another £200. They were the only comps I played on Sky so was a +£850 night.

Won't go through all the bricks I had on various sites, but there were a lot and by about 11pm I was feeling pretty dejected, I was down to like 2 comps (outside of Sky) and thought the session was pretty much gg. Then my boom switch seemed to get turned on, kept spinning it up in both comps which luckily happened to be the 2 biggest BIs of the night. One was the $100 main event on Party and I finished 20/573 for $355 ($9k ftw), then the other comp was a $22 1R1A on stars, that went a little better, and I managed to finish 4th place out of 833 for $3193.50

Very happy to get my first big score on the stake, my first FT (I think) on Stars, and get myself out of the grim hole that I've been in for the whole of Jan.
  • edited January 2015
    Great night Paul, well done.
  • edited January 2015
    Cheers James, was definitely a month saver.

I think I might have just about nabbed the lead back off Larson now in this prop bet too, but dunno, I've only just about got myself back in the black I think and I'm not sure if he's had any binks yet.
  • edited January 2015
    Cheers James, was definitely a month saver. I think I might have just about nabbed the lead back off Larson now in this prop bet too, but dunno, I've only just about got myself back in the black I think and I'm not sure if he's had any binks yet.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Not sure about his mtt's but I'm pretty sure he's donked a fair bit at cash ;)
  • edited January 2015
    Wow very nice nites work Lambert well played.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Not sure about his mtt's but I'm pretty sure he's donked a fair bit at cash ;)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    lol always donating :)
  • edited January 2015
      Hi Paul,

I have been reading your thread for some time now.I must say i have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts.First must i say  it is extremely brave of you,i mean making public,all your dreams and aspirations for your,love of poker.As i can see,you have nothing but support on this site,which in in our modern day era,is refreshing to experience.Anyway enough of the dribble, i would just like to wish you the very best of British,and maybe we might meet up on the same table soon .
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah I've seen you pop into the thread a few times over the years Judge, thanks for the kind words. I've said this before but when I first started on Sky and using the forum I always thought it would have been great to have a diary from one of the guys that plays full time (think this was before TommyD played full time or had a diary) so that kinda inspired me to do it myself.
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah I've seen you pop into the thread a few times over the years Judge, thanks for the kind words. I've said this before but when I first started on Sky and using the forum I always thought it would have been great to have a diary from one of the guys that plays full time (think this was before TommyD played full time or had a diary) so that kinda inspired me to do it myself.
    Posted by Lambert180
    You are definitely an inspiration Paul.
    We all think to ourselves that if Lambert can do it, then surely anyone can