You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Nice score to start the year Paul, hope it continues. GL
  • edited January 2015
    Had a big studying day yesterday, spent about 10am-2pm watching training vids. I found a great series that I've started watching now on RunItOnce, it's 5 x 1hr episodes of him going through the HH from start to finish when he finished 4th in the Sunday Million. Then 4pm - 7pm we did a group coaching session going through the HHs one of the guys involved in the stable from start to finish of him coming 2nd in the Mega Deep last week for $21k

Had an ok, but short, session last night cos I was pretty tired. A small loss on the stable, I could have saved the session with my last comp, the $22 deepstack on 888, but I lost a chunk on the FT bubble with A9<TT so went into the FT short and then bust in 9th with AJs<KK for like $120 (was $1k ftw). A small win on Sky too, the only cashes were 1 head in the MBI and I FT'd the 9pm £55 BH again... pretty gutted with that because we were 5handed and I GII pre with TT v 88 v J9s, and the flop came 88xxx. If I hold there I take 1 head and will have 50%+ of the chips with 4 left but meh didnt have the heart to hit running tens. I had more chips than the guy with J9s so got 4th place for about £250.

Pretty happy to see how my Pocket5s has progressed already. When I looked at it before starting the stable I was ranked about 2500th out of 3000 for UK players, and now 20 days into Jan I've already got myself into the top 1000

http://www.pocketfives.com/profiles/lambert180/
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Lambert

Posted on the dym chall thread dunno if you saw it as its at bottom of previous page

Perhaps an idea 
  • edited January 2015
    Exciting times. Can feel a new enthusiasm in your posts.

Hope its a massive year for you, mate. Sounds like you have a great team behind you
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah sounds like a good idea Stuart, I'll post up on DYM thread too and see what Kirsty thinks.

Cheers Teddy, I definitely feel a lot more enthusiastic. I've always found MTTs way less stressful than cash for some reason (I know a lot of people feel the complete opposite). It's maybe because I was unrealistic with the % of winning sessions you have at cash, and cash in general just feels like so much more of a grind imo.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Yeah sounds like a good idea Stuart, I'll post up on DYM thread too and see what Kirsty thinks. Cheers Teddy, I definitely feel a lot more enthusiastic. I've always found MTTs way less stressful than cash for some reason (I know a lot of people feel the complete opposite). It's maybe because I was unrealistic with the % of winning sessions you have at cash, and cash in general just feels like so much more of a grind imo.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Know exactly how you feel. The same penny has finally dropped for me.
  • edited January 2015
    Nice going Lambert - Can you post link to the 5 x 1 hr training vids

Been on a good run but its the weakest part of my game - "learning"

Still only read 2 pages of Moormans book after really looking forward to getting it 2 months ago. I think sometimes when your doing well you don,t feeel as much need to look at how you can improve - Its mainly when your losing

I don,t want to make that mistake again so the link would be appreciated 

Thx and GL
  • edited January 2015
    Nice going Lambert - Can you post link to the 5 x 1 hr training vids Been on a good run but its the weakest part of my game - "learning"  Still only read 2 pages of Moormans book after really looking forward to getting it 2 months ago. I think sometimes when your doing well you don,t feeel as much need to look at how you can improve - Its mainly when your losing I don,t want to make that mistake again so the link would be appreciated  Thx and GL
    Posted by MP33

Part of the deal in the stable I'm in is that I get elite membership to runitonce, and to be able to watch that vid you need elite membership... Which is $100 per month. So that's a great addition to the staking deal, as if coaching from Marc Wright wasn't enough,but not very helpful for you sorry.

Learning is definitely important all the time, even when things are going well but its something I always get complacent with too. I'm trying to make a big effort to change that this year cos I wanna make the most of this opportunity.

• edited January 2015
    Had another ok night last night, it was looking SO optimistic in the late stages of the night with so many deep runs going on but sadly none of them amounted to big scores. So the 'highlights'...

• I finished 286/2450 in the Big55 for $98 ($20k ftw)

• I lost AKs<TT to bust the Thunder on 888 finishing 14/172 for $175 ($2.5k ftw) - that flip sucked.

• I had a deepish run in $13KO on stars finishing 158/1407 for about $30 ($2.4k ftw)

• I had a deep run in $27KO on stars finishing 73/1915 for $100 ($6k ftw)

• Finally I had deep run in Party's $100 main event but lost AJ<AK iirc to bust 14/137 for $190 ($2.5k ftw)
    So lots of chances last night but couldn't capitalise on any of them. Finished +$180 so not the worst result in the world.

Sky not much going on here, I took abuot £33 of heads in the main but didn't cash, mincashed 1 x £11 BH with no heads so the cash wasn't even £11 lol and went pretty deep in the big 9:30pm £11 BH, but got coolered BvB with 2pr v bigger 2pr to finish 14/352 for £55 (£450 + heads ftw), so was about -£70 for the night here.
  • edited January 2015
    Seems like I'm on a bit of a heater atm, just had another decent night. Was a small session, mostly cos I regged up Sky for the night, then like 10 minutes into the main, it froze, wouldn't do anything, had to close and re-open software but then software just wouldn't open and it wouldn't let me log in through the browser. Eventually managed to get logged in via Emma's comp, deregged what was left and it was already gg main, £11 bh and mini, so that was like 6 comps of my schedule gone. Gonna be requesting those BIs back from CC. I tried it out later abuot 10pm and could log in fine so played the MBI... bubbled the money (and the FT) in 7th, but got £110 of heads.

Highlights of the stake...

Missed the money in $50 turbo BH on Party but got $45 in heads.

I went deep again in a $27KO on Stars finishing 73/1576 for $75 (about $6k ftw iirc)

I mincashed 888's $35 Challenge finishing 107/919 for $49.99 ($6.2k ftw)

And the big one, I FT'd Party's $100 main, finishing 3rd (out of 110) for $1120 ($2k ftw)

Good times!!
  • edited January 2015
    How many heads did you get in the mini?
  • edited January 2015
    How many heads did you get in the mini?
    Posted by RyanC7
    Considering Sky kicked me off and I was able to play 0 hands in the mini... I'm gonna go with 0
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Lambert have read through the diary over last few days and just wanted to say keep it up, a lot of diaries quickly stop when the player hits hard times, it's hard to keep posting when you go on a downswing, you seem to post up all the highs and lows which makes it a good read.

Just wanted to ask do you get coaching currently and do you think it's a good investment for someone like me, a rec player wanting to improve at low/micros (10/20nl) or is it better to stick to videos/posting hands in forum until moving up to higher stakes? 

Cheers, Matt 
  • edited January 2015

Hi all,

Paul is struggling to access the forum so has asked me to post on his behalf. 

Tonight he'll be streaming his Sky Poker tournaments including the Super Roller and the Mini live on twitch.tv from 8pm.

You can check the stream out free on the link below, no signup required. There's also a live chatbox alongside his stream where you can interact with him, ask him questions, make him do David Brent impressions etc.  

Check it out! 

Good luck on your Sunday grinds. 
  • edited January 2015
    What a show off
    n1 Paul :-)
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Paul,

Long time reader/lurker.  GL
  • edited January 2015
    Just watched and in 5 mins at the same time flops Trip 6, Trip 8's (rivered quads) , won a nice pot with queens on a jack high flop, got AT and AJ!! Mbn! Keep up the good work! 
  • edited January 2015

I did log on briefly to watch a little bit - like the poster above there did seem to be some very friendly flops coming your way!

Was amazed by some of the play in the early stages of that £22BH... can only assume that some of the people on your tables were thinking at a way higher level than my simple poker brain.

Did you manage to cap the stream with some decent cashes?

• edited January 2015
    Cheers for the support everyone that popped in for a bit.

Truth be told, the first night was a bit of a nightmare... obviously I was a bit nervous as it was my first time, then for various re-decorating reasons at home I had to move my set up to the kitchen to do it (just for that one night, it's back now), then on top of that, Sky Poker and Party Poker wouldn't let me go in! So I was annoyed about not being able to play a lot of great comps, and my planned schedule had effectively just been chopped in half so I had to try and find other tournaments to play while running the stream, keeping talking etc... needless to say I started out a little flustered.

Next broadcast is going out for tomorrow night's session (Tuesday), again starting around 8pm in line with Sky's main event, and hopefully things will run a lot smoother this time!

As for the results last night, it was pretty poor/non-existent...

I got 1 head in the £22 BH on Sky and 1 head in the £55 BH on Sky (which is all I managed to play cos I couldn't log in til about 10pm).

Zero cashes on the other sites, yes I did run quite well at the start of the stream, made a few sets etc, the big pot with QQ was actually a pretty tough spot, I could really only beat bluffs calling the turn raise and river shove but I gave a decent (i think) explanation of why I thought we just had to call... I'll try to find that hand and post it up here if I can. But yeah so started running well, but towards the later part of the session (when it really matters) I just lost pretty much every single race. Closest I got to a cash was probably the big55, I could have nit folded and made the money pretty easy I think but obv that aint what I'm there to do, so shipped 55, called by AQ and couldn't hold. Actually, that's not 100% about no cashes, I think I got 1-2 heads in the $13.50KO and 1 head in the $27KO.

It was a pretty small session though cos there was about 6 comps I couldn't play on Sky, and 2-3 on Party, so missed off a huge chunk of what I'd normally play. I added in a few extra ones on stars and 888 to bulk it up but still wasn't as big as I'd have liked so was still only like -$120 ish I think.

The thing is with MTTs and the streaming is that I'm sure there's gonna be lots of nights where I don't get many/any results, that's just the way MTTs go, but will deffo be fun and exciting when I get to stream my first really deep run/FT.

Shakin, they aint thinking on higher levels than you, it was mostly just a lot of bad play. People make the mistake of thinking 'oh it's a £22 BH, not a £5 one, so everyone is gonna be a sicko', it just isn't the case, not on here at least. I'd happily buy a % in you playing those £22 BHs whenever u wanted.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Lambert,

Fascinated by this and will try and look you up on Tuesday.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you stream on a time delay?
    2. Does streaming create lag?

Either could be a bit -EV for you.
  • edited January 2015
    I watched for a while too, maybe an hour. Overall I thought you did a very good job for a first timer and I'll definitely watch again. The commentary was good; informative, honest, thinking well explained. A bit of humour here and there, no dead-air. Emma's rick-roll and other brief musical interruptions, clearly unexpected by you, were quite funny too.

For the sakes of constructive criticism I thought I'd point out a couple of things; I don't know if you were aware of your constant coughing, particularly in the first half-hour, I don't think you mentioned it. Anyway, it was moderately annoying. If you watch some of it back you'll see what I mean. Also I couldn't see a chat-box like I usually do on Twitch streams. You were answering questions, so obviously there was one running unseen to me. Maybe that was a problem at my end.

Anyway, good job, run well.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Lambert, Fascinated by this and will try and look you up on Tuesday. Couple of questions: 1. Do you stream on a time delay? 2. Does streaming create lag? Either could be a bit -EV for you.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Cheers Phantom.

1) From my point of view I just play as normal, but all viewers are on a 3 minute delay to avoid people in my table being able to watch and know my hand in game. I could probably shorten that time for Sky but on other sites, the timebanks make it possible to abuse a shorter delay so just gonna stick to 3 mins.

2) In short, no. I tried doing this ages ago but it was terribly laggy for the viewers (I just tested it out with dohhh, evilpingu etc), it didn't affect me but as a viewer it was unwatchable, so I'm told. But a few weeks ago we finally upgraded to high speed broadband so my upload speed (which is what counts for streaming) went from like 300kb to 4Mb.

If anything did affect my ability to play my own games well I'd have to stop but all is well atm
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- Next Twitch = Tuesday 27th Feb!:
    I watched for a while too, maybe an hour. Overall I thought you did a very good job for a first timer and I'll definitely watch again. The commentary was good; informative, honest, thinking well explained. A bit of humour here and there, no dead-air. Emma's rick-roll and other brief musical interruptions, clearly unexpected by you, were quite funny too. For the sakes of constructive criticism I thought I'd point out a couple of things; I don't know if you were aware of your constant coughing, particularly in the first half-hour, I don't think you mentioned it. Anyway, it was moderately annoying. If you watch some of it back you'll see what I mean. Also I couldn't see a chat-box like I usually do on Twitch streams. You were answering questions, so obviously there was one running unseen to me. Maybe that was a problem at my end. Anyway, good job, run well.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

Cheers Gary. As much as everyone loves a compliment,  I do really welcome the criticism cos I know there are lots of things to work on. It was never going to be perfect on my first go afterall! Yeh Emma mentioned the coughing to me, will have to keep an eye on that in future.

I'm not too sure about the chat box, it should be to the right hand side of the vid/stream, everyone else was chatting so I'm really not sure

• edited January 2015
    Did you speak using received pronunciation or was the dialect more regional?
  • edited January 2015
    Chat box wasn't available on the browser, I downloaded the app and it was there, though didn't sign up so couldn't type. 3mins is a bit long to wait to be interactive with the chatters, though like you said with timebanks on certain sites you can't really cut it back.

One tip to improve your concentration in game, get a cat flap.
  • edited January 2015
    That's wierd Mike, I have no idea why that was the case, a few of the lads I talk to on FB were all on using the browser and could see the chatbox. Only thing I can think is if it's an issue with certain browsers, I know one of my mates that had it working was using firefox.

Lol Mike, the cat problems will be a thing of the past. We were/are in the process of re-decorating so I had to play in the kitchen which meant Emma didn't wanna be walking thru the kitchen in front of the camera to let the cats in so I had to do it. In future I'll be back at my desk upstairs and Emma will be free to let the cats in and out.
  • edited January 2015
    Shakin, they aint thinking on higher levels than you, it was mostly just a lot of bad play. People make the mistake of thinking 'oh it's a £22 BH, not a £5 one, so everyone is gonna be a sicko', it just isn't the case, not on here at least. I'd happily buy a % in you playing those £22 BHs whenever u wanted.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but given I'm yet to even take a single head or min cash in the £11BH games I won't be dipping my toe in the £22 or above for some time yet!!

Are twitch streams recorded or can you only watch them live?  There aren't many online vids explaining/showcasing MTT play specifically on Sky so I'm interested in watching the sessions you put on the net to try and get some ideas to improve my own game, but won't be online tonight.
  • edited January 2015
    I've got a mate who is exactly the same fwiw, he's SO over-rolled for bigger comps but has too big a fear there's gonna be like an astronomical difference in standard. Last I saw you had a £3k roll I think?? I'd deffo recommend trying to play as many £11 BHs as you can, they're just such great value, just good solid foundations will see you through. If you can only play 1 per night, make it the 9:30pm one, usually about £450 + heads ftw, just such a great comp.

Erm, I think there's a way to make it so every stream goes into live an archive of videos to watch from my Twitch profile but I don't think mine is set up to do that atm. I'm still new to it all so will get that set up asap. Yeah that's partly why I wanted to do it, the fact it's all 6max and doesn't have antes makes a big difference and I think in general the 'average' player style is different on here to other sites.

I wouldn't worry too much if you miss tonight, I plan on doing multiple shows per week once I get everything running smoothly. Also, it's optimal I'd say to have no more than 4tables on Twitch at any one time (it only films a portion of my screen), but I tend to have around 9-10 tables going, at least until later evening when i've bust a few, so the plan is to pretty much always have 4 Sky ones as the 4 I show on Twitch which is good for you. I'd probably swap one out if I'm going deep/FT'ing on another site but will mostly be Sky.
  • edited January 2015
    good, too see u going live again, only on for a min, meant too be playing live tonight, just pub poker but not sure yet, 

if i stay in ill be watching your stream, following with interest and glad too see your doing well, especially coming from mainly cash too mtt's youve had some great results. 

keep it up!!! then teach me :) been enjoying live as little more recently but br is creeping up so son ill decide too play some £55 bh's and blow it in one hand! see how it goes, 

gl tonight if i dont get on have fun and TID!
  • edited January 2015
    I've been having some technical nightmare's on Sky the past week. Ever since that session a while ago where Sky wouldn't open it's been the same every session. It's obviously not a coincidence cos it's been exactly the same... can log into Sky all fine any time up until about 7:30pm that around that time it kicks me off and won't let me log back in, can't open the client at all, can't open the website in the browser at all, not even to view the forum. I try to login in throughout the session with no success then at 10pm it lets me login, dead on same time every night.

So for the last week the only comp I can play on here is the 10:30pm £55 BH and I've ran pretty terrible in it every night in the deep stages. Had a great stack tonight then AK<A6, QT<AK, A8<KQ in the space of 5 mins and it's gg about 5 off the money.

=============================================================

Not much in the way of results on the stake recently, nothing big anyway. I FT'd the $50 turbo BH again, bust 4th for about $390, little under break even over the last week.

Had a few near misses tonight but nothing to shout about, ran pretty awful tonight. Got ITM in the big55, and was in a great spot to get a stack and really push on then TT<77 put a swift end to that so cashed for $100. Few other deep runs that fell apart just before the money. I got coolered about 6 off the money in the $100 party main, left with about 5xBB, stagged on for a bit but finished about 3 off the money.

Weekly Pocket5s update was done again (every Wednesday) and I've moved up to 661/3166, not bad considering I was like 2500+/3166 a few weeks ago, and just shy of $10k cashes so 10% of the way there to my target with only 1 month gone.

Just checked and I got a shark on SS for the stable too :)

http://gyazo.com/5addd509f299573568ca9a8c44279ead