You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yet to be given the option mate, might have been picked for me already.
    Posted by TommyD

Sigh, you are useless...

Will send you a PM right away on here

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Sigh, you are useless... Will send you a PM right away on here
    Posted by dylan12
    And I look forward to reading it in about a week ;)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : And I look forward to reading it in about a week ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    LOL!!!! I never get tilted but you do a good job at pushing me close to it! 

Pm sent btw and I expect a reply within 15 mins ;) 
  • edited May 2012
    Just coming down from a little bit of tilt.  A reg who I considered a mate, at least in poker terms tried to tilt me with the old 'show a bluff after I fold for a big pot' trick.  This really had two factors.

1)  He had the best hand so that was humorous.

2)  I wouldn't do that to a mate in a serious game.  Of course we do that on the forum cash games all of the time but this was Heads up decent stakes and deep.

Maybe i marry up having a laugh at a SPT and chatting nicely on the tables too close to being friendly, it might well be my problem.  After all, this is business for a lot of people.  Possibly didn't help that I was having my worse cash session all month already.  But if it's prison rules they want, then prison rules they get.

Tilt gone, gonna play a few DYMs to clear the mind a little then back to the grind.  Love the game.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : LOL!!!! I never get tilted but you do a good job at pushing me close to it!  Pm sent btw and I expect a reply within 15 mins ;) 
    Posted by dylan12
    As it's you I have already replied.  Feel cheap and over keen replying straight away.  Like calling a girl's number while you're in the cab home from a club....
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : As it's you I have already replied.  Feel cheap and over keen replying straight away.  Like calling a girl's number while you're in the cab home from a club....
    Posted by TommyD
    Appologies, I thought you had received all the required documentation. 
  • edited May 2012
    Just coming down from a little bit of tilt.  A reg who I considered a mate, at least in poker terms tried to tilt me with the old 'show a bluff after I fold for a big pot' trick.  This really had two factors. 1)  He had the best hand so that was humorous. 2)  I wouldn't do that to a mate in a serious game.  Of course we do that on the forum cash games all of the time but this was Heads up decent stakes and deep. Maybe i marry up having a laugh at a SPT and chatting nicely on the tables too close to being friendly, it might well be my problem.  After all, this is business for a lot of people.  Possibly didn't help that I was having my worse cash session all month already.  But if it's prison rules they want, then prison rules they get. Tilt gone, gonna play a few DYMs to clear the mind a little then back to the grind.  Love the game.
    Posted by TommyD

I showed you a bluff once but was pre flop - my 72off v your AQ - felt a bit bad after reading that but was only a £22 mtt so I think it was ok as it was in the first level and we were having banter in the chat at the time as well. 

Never considered ever showing a bluff on cash to a mate unless it was indeed a forum game with mates or something, certinally not v a friend in a serious ring game. 

I did slow roll Dohhhhhhh once in a forum cash game - that was pretty sweet tbh but apart from that i try not to be to clever. 

Get back to the grind mate and glgl. 

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. :   I showed you a bluff once but was pre flop - my 72off v your AQ - felt a bit bad after reading that but was only a £22 mtt so I think it was ok as it was in the first level and we were having banter in the chat at the time as well.  Never considered ever showing a bluff on cash to a mate unless it was indeed a forum game with mates or something, certinally not v a friend in a serious ring game.  I did slow roll Dohhhhhhh once in a forum cash game - that was pretty sweet tbh but apart from that i try not to be to clever.  Get back to the grind mate and glgl. 
    Posted by dylan12
    It's all about timing mate, in something like that and if we're chatting along then it's fine, would do it to you in that spot as well.  When it's obviously a serious game and there is no chat going on then it's completely different.  I probably took it too personal but I think I had a decent read that the show was to tilt, not for a laugh.

Don't matter now anyway, all forgotten about, just wanted to post it as this is a poker diary and all.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : It's all about timing mate, in something like that and if we're chatting along then it's fine, would do it to you in that spot as well.  When it's obviously a serious game and there is no chat going on then it's completely different.  I probably took it too personal but I think I had a decent read that the show was to tilt, not for a laugh. Don't matter now anyway, all forgotten about, just wanted to post it as this is a poker diary and all.
    Posted by TommyD
    Yeah, I admire your honesty and it has given me food for thought and I am in total agreement about when/where it is appropriate to show a bluff etc Never considered showing a bluff to a mate during a serious cash session or even when going deep in a tournament but as you say it's over with now but thanks for posting it anyway. 

I look forward to reading your next diary installment in about a week or so then... ;) 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yeah, I admire your honesty and it has given me food for thought and I am in total agreement about when/where it is appropriate to show a bluff etc Never considered showing a bluff to a mate during a serious cash session or even when going deep in a tournament but as you say it's over with now but thanks for posting it anyway.  I look forward to reading your next diary installment in about a week or so then... ;) 
    Posted by dylan12
    lol

nh, wp.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yes but what Carlo loses in the tipping he makes up for in the All You Can Eat Breakfast Buffet.  Everything has balance.  Talking of breakfast, heard next door that the Eggs Benedict at the Bellagio is, and I quote, 'The Best In The World.'  Now when it comes to that lovely combination of hollandaise, bacon, pancake and egg I'm somewhat a connoisseur.  That's posh speak for the fact I pig out on the stuff.  Can I get secondary confirmation please? If confirmed I'm marking that as a must do attraction. Haven't sorted my schedule yet.  At the moment I'm thinking of tourneys to start with then after my Bruv flies back (he's leaving early) then I'll hit the proper cash grind.  By then I should be bust from the big one, or if my run good holds I'll play cash after the day end.  Now I know what you're thinking, it's my first Main and I have no idea how zapped I'll be after a full day's play.  Maybe true, but you've never seen me slip it into fifth gear for the live grind.  Make sure I have access to regular tea and watch me laugh in the face of sleep.
    Posted by TommyD
    Stayed at the Bellagio in April and can confirm the Eggs Benedict are impressive as was the complete spread laid on at the breakfast buffet, this not only included the typical breakfast items you might expect, but also choices such as pizza, Chinese and bread and butter pudding and don't worry if you can feel a panic attack coming on regarding your health, there is a quality spread of fruit, cereals and yogurts.

One word of warning the queues some mornings were quite horrendous.

Fortunately for us, we offered a US$20 tip when we checked in and were given a 'free' fast pass for breakfast which turned out to be the best value tip we made during the 10 days.

If I recall correctly, the breakfast was US$25 Monday - Thursday and US$39 Friday - Sunday, with small queues for the higher price.

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Stayed at the Bellagio in April and can confirm the Eggs Benedict are impressive as was the complete spread laid on at the breakfast buffet, this not only included the typical breakfast items you might expect, but also choices such as pizza, Chinese and bread and butter pudding and don't worry if you can feel a panic attack coming on regarding your health, there is a quality spread of fruit, cereals and yogurts. One word of warning the queues some mornings were quite horrendous. Fortunately for us, we offered a US$20 tip when we checked in and were given a 'free' fast pass for breakfast which turned out to be the best value tip we made during the 10 days. If I recall correctly, the breakfast was US$25 Monday - Thursday and US$39 Friday - Sunday, with small queues for the higher price.
    Posted by TheDart
    Cheers for the info Dart, these things will be investigated.
  • edited May 2012
    Sigh

One of my classic donk offs happened in the primo.  Cruising as a big stack then then I bust within a few hands.  I got most of these out of my system but the odd few are creeping back in.  I'm not posting this for any hand analysis, this is here so I can see it and not do it again, especially in Vegas.

River Bet/fold fail
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Aaaces3 Small blind  200.00 200.00 27088.77
    AVM84 Big blind  400.00 600.00 20372.52
     Your hole cards
    • J

yoyo Fold     
    jungle99 Fold     
    TommyD Raise  800.00 1400.00 27211.25
    Aaaces3 Fold     
    AVM84 Call  400.00 1800.00 19972.52
    Flop

• J

AVM84 Check     
    TommyD Bet  900.00 2700.00 26311.25
    AVM84 Call  900.00 3600.00 19072.52
    Turn

• J

AVM84 Check     
    TommyD Bet  1800.00 5400.00 24511.25
    AVM84 Call  1800.00 7200.00 17272.52
    River

• A

AVM84 Check     
    TommyD Bet  3600.00 10800.00 20911.25
    AVM84 All-in  17272.52 28072.52 0.00
    TommyD Call  13672.52 41745.04 7238.73
    AVM84 Show
    • Q
    • K

TommyD Show
    • J

AVM84 Win Flush to the King 41745.04
  • edited May 2012
    still read this diary with intrest and as ya used to start at the low stakes and work yaself up to where u are now gives us all hope that it can be done :) and good to see u post your losing hands aswell as winning hands i like to read through it this maybe my 1st post on your blog keep up the good work sir 
  • edited May 2012
    Sigh One of my classic donk offs happened in the primo.  Cruising as a big stack then then I bust within a few hands.  I got most of these out of my system but the odd few are creeping back in.  I'm not posting this for any hand analysis, this is here so I can see it and not do it again, especially in Vegas. River Bet/fold fail Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Aaaces3 Small blind   200.00 200.00 27088.77 AVM84 Big blind   400.00 600.00 20372.52   Your hole cards 3 J       yoyo Fold         jungle99 Fold         TommyD Raise   800.00 1400.00 27211.25 Aaaces3 Fold         AVM84 Call   400.00 1800.00 19972.52 Flop     J 10 4       AVM84 Check         TommyD Bet   900.00 2700.00 26311.25 AVM84 Call   900.00 3600.00 19072.52 Turn     J       AVM84 Check         TommyD Bet   1800.00 5400.00 24511.25 AVM84 Call   1800.00 7200.00 17272.52 River     A       AVM84 Check         TommyD Bet   3600.00 10800.00 20911.25 AVM84 All-in   17272.52 28072.52 0.00 TommyD Call   13672.52 41745.04 7238.73 AVM84 Show Q K       TommyD Show 3 J       AVM84 Win Flush to the King 41745.04
    Posted by TommyD
    I have b/c otr disease too at the moment... I intend to b/f yet i just press call.... need to eradicate this from my game, i know i wont tho, its all part of the fun!

P.S, i enjoyed the show last night, i thought you all were brill and worked well together!
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I have b/c otr disease too at the moment... I intend to b/f yet i just press call.... need to eradicate this from my game, i know i wont tho, its all part of the fun! P.S, i enjoyed the show last night, i thought you all were brill and worked well together!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yep, me too lol.

The show last night was awesome :)
  • edited May 2012
    Cheers guys, appreciate it.

Tuesday show was a lot of fun.  I thought Rich, Ryan and Neil were all fantastic.

They say you should never meet your heroes?  The first time I met Jakally was Tuesday, and when I first saw him he was in his pants.  Interesting start.

The show was a blast.  On my way home, driving on the living roadwork that is the North Circular, I suddenly remembered I hadn't eaten a thing all day.  The good people at Sky offered me some stuff but I wasn't hungry then, I go ages sometimes without eating for no other reason than I'm not hungry.  So here we are at half past midnight and suddenly we have the urge.  Luckily I know a 24hr Tescos on the North Circ.  Sadly I missed the exit for it.  Then I doubled back, and missed it again.  Driving fail.  How do you miss the same exit twice?!?!
  • edited June 2012
    Back in from my Hospital Radio Show.  I love volunteering there, have done for over a decade now.

We had a beautiful moment tonight, just before showtime the request line went.  A patient wanted to request a song for a nurse called Eileen.  You don't need many guesses before you'd get the name of that song.  Yes Dexy's Midnight Runners was booming out over the airwaves.  Lovely stuff.

Came back intending to make a final push towards C4P for the month but instead just spent the last hour or so on a private matter which I consider to be more important.  I won't be sharing that but gosh I hope it was worth it, I think and hope it will be.
  • edited June 2012
    Back in from my Hospital Radio Show.  I love volunteering there, have done for over a decade now. We had a beautiful moment tonight, just before showtime the request line went.  A patient wanted to request a song for a nurse called Eileen.  You don't need many guesses before you'd get the name of that song.  Yes Dexy's Midnight Runners was booming out over the airwaves.  Lovely stuff. Came back intending to make a final push towards C4P for the month but instead just spent the last hour or so on a private matter which I consider to be more important.  I won't be sharing that but gosh I hope it was worth it, I think and hope it will be.
    Posted by TommyD
    BUMP!! Can't be having this on page 3. 

Are you as bad/slow at marking home work as you are at updating this thread? 

After reading your last paragraph I hope everything is all good mate. 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : BUMP!! Can't be having this on page 3.  Are you as bad/slow at marking home work as you are at updating this thread?  After reading your last paragraph I hope everything is all good mate. 
    Posted by dylan12
    All good mate, it was a trying week.  Time to fire up the tables and play some pokerz.

Just got back from a street party, well my street's party.  A few of us got it up and running a couple of years ago so this was the third annual Summer BBQ, lined up with the diamond jubilee.  Every year we a get some of the street out but sadly not as many as we want.  People in London just don't have as much of a 'street spirit' as they do in a lot of other parts of the country.  It's a shame, especially when some of us put a fair amount of effort to put it together.  We still had a good time, cracking atmosphere and a real mix of people.  You haven't seen anything until you see a white British woman in her 60s and a black Jamaican woman in her 40s suddenly break from their conversation to do the 'Rice and Peas' song, with actions mind you, in perfect unison together.  It's what the Queen would have wanted.

Anyone else having a street party this weekend?
  • edited June 2012
    belated well done for vegas m8. been away for a bit so came late to it
    with regard to your flight over,  found walking to the back of the flight and stretching my legs every couple of hours helped alot. stopped my legs getting stiff. i can't sleep on planes.
    found using the all you can eat breakfast buffets a good way to last most of the day without eating.
    couldn't you get TK to get the food before the break? then again didn't he have trouble getting the coffee last year!!
    tipping - never had an issue with it. generally found the people fine with whatever we gave and whenever we gave it. didn't tip the room maid tho.
    definately need to eat at a steakhouse - Outback was great
    Grand Canyon - breathtaking! U gota go if you can

enjoyed the show
  • edited June 2012
    belated well done for vegas m8. been away for a bit so came late to it with regard to your flight over,  found walking to the back of the flight and stretching my legs every couple of hours helped alot. stopped my legs getting stiff. i can't sleep on planes. found using the all you can eat breakfast buffets a good way to last most of the day without eating. couldn't you get TK to get the food before the break? then again didn't he have trouble getting the coffee last year!! tipping - never had an issue with it. generally found the people fine with whatever we gave and whenever we gave it. didn't tip the room maid tho. definately need to eat at a steakhouse - Outback was great Grand Canyon - breathtaking! U gota go if you can enjoyed the show
    Posted by walesboy
    Cheers Walesboy, appreciate it!!
  • edited June 2012
    Hows the hangover?
  • edited June 2012
    Wiped out today.

I'm coming off the back of a double BBQ weekend.  Great laugh had by all, at least i think so.  Yesterday was an interesting one.  All of my friends are over 30 now so the daytime section of a huge jubilee BBQ party was quite tame, tons of my friends have kids now and babies were everywhere.  We were all very mature, watching the endless stream of boats bob along the Thames on the TV, the ladies discussing what colour shoes Princess Kate was wearing, the men chatting mortgages and football.  Luckily at arond seven children were taken to babysitters and then we were 18 again.  There were shots.  I'm feeling it now.

Gutted I missed the Super Roller but it feels great not to be tied to poker and to not have it dominate my life.  I was a little jealous when I got back though and seeing by how much the guarantee was busted.

OK, off to cremate some bacon and try to feel alive again.
  • edited June 2012
    Hows the hangover?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Not as bad as it should be  Did I actually beat NL4 last night while mullered?  I have 20p more in my account than I did yesterday.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Not as bad as it should be  Did I actually beat NL4 last night while mullered?  I have 20p more in my account than I did yesterday.
    Posted by TommyD
    Dunno I cant remember lol, but the hangover might hit later then... for both of us! I was gutted with my roller experience, was within a flip of a gtd cash. I could have nit folded to a min cash, but that's not my style these days!

Enjoy your bacon! Im gonna get myself ready for a trip up to London, I might be playing the 8pm mtt at Aspers tonight... not completely decided yet, but i'll see.
  • edited June 2012

Apparently there was some event over the weekend involving one of the Royals.  Does anyone know anything about this, not like it was on the TV EVERY WAKING MOMENT.

I think I'm Jubilee hung over.  I'm no Republican (or Royalist) but my roller coaster of patriotism this weekend has gone:

Yay, BBQ
    Boats are awesome
    Shame about the rain
    Yay, another BBQ
    Ugh, what was in that chicken
    Robbie really knows how to entertain a crowd
    Oh it's Cliff
    It's still Cliff
    That's enough now Cliff
    FFS Cliff
    Is Cheryl lip syncing again or have they just turned her mic down?
    Grace Jones is amazing, quality Hula Tekkers
    Why do the Americans keep saying Happy Birthday to the Queen?
    The Commonwealth Choir is outstanding, makes me really proud
    This concert isn't going to help any comedian DVD sales
    Quality stuff Elton, but we kinda bottled out of Candle didn't we?
    Fireworks WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    WHOOOAHHHH!!!!!
    WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
    Wow I can see the fireworks out of my window
    WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
    WHOOOOAHHHH!!!!!!
    They are still doing stuff?
    Where's the proper tele gone?
    Think I'll put on some cartoons for a bit
    Wow that is a lot of people in the Mall
    The Queen's on the balcony.
    Come on smile your Maj
    Smile
    SMILE!!
    oh for crying out loud.....
    Planes are awesome.

How's your Jubilee hangover?

• edited June 2012
    I remember being asked on my show appearance about attitudes towards winner takes all tourneys.  I said be aggressive, don't be a nit and go for broke.

There is a perfect opportunity for you to test this out for free tonight.  There's the Euro Champs freeroll, and bearing in mind only the winner gets to be Spain, this is a winner takes all tourney ;)
  • edited June 2012
    I remember being asked on my show appearance about attitudes towards winner takes all tourneys.  I said be aggressive, don't be a nit and go for broke. There is a perfect opportunity for you to test this out for free tonight.  There's the Euro Champs freeroll, and bearing in mind only the winner gets to be Spain, this is a winner takes all tourney ;)
    Posted by TommyD
    Yeah that was me Tommy about the Blackpool sats which are mostly only giving away 1 seat per night, 2 if you're really lucky.

I basically just need to really work on improving how I play satellites :(
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yeah that was me Tommy about the Blackpool sats which are mostly only giving away 1 seat per night, 2 if you're really lucky. I basically just need to really work on improving how I play satellites :(
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yup I remember.  Like I said on the show, a 1 in 10 with 30 runners isn't really a winner takes all.  Play tight, play solid and make the FT, then play a DYM

I know they went down quick to 1 and 2 seats available which is tough, in these cases I always like to get my chips in early to build a stack or blow out.  I played a lot of the 1 in 25 old Sunday roller sats and managed to bink a number of them that way.  The plan was 1)  Build stack early, 2)  Navigate to final two tables tight solid with a splash of aggro  3) Gear change to get on final table with good stack 4)  Win

Remember, in most MTT tournaments if you are a decent player someone somewhere along the line is going to gift you a bundle of chips.  Or give you a sick two outer that will send your cat into orbit.