You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Congratulations on a goal achieved...   wow
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    Ok got a few things to post so I'm going to split them into a few entries.  I'm going to be wrapping up the Vegas stuff in a bit and answering some of your questions on the Freeroll etc as well.  But to start with more important things.

Barry's death has affected me somewhat.  Never met him in real life but chatted with him on the tables and forums quite a bit.  i have already posted in his tribute thread and i do not want to trivialise that by changing this into a poorer version of that.  However I feel that Barry was one of the most important posters here, especially in the early days.  Life is so precious, snuffed out more sudden than a candle light in the wind.

I have already told a few people of my intention to do the following although the charity has now changed.  I have qualified for the Blackpool Bounty Hunter SPT.  Even before Vegas and Barry i was intending to donate any bounties I won on that day to charity to pass on the karma.  Now after the sad news I have decided to donate any bounty prize to Barry's favourite charity as detailed by Alison in that thread (Shopmobiiity Sheffield I believe).  It may be nothing, it could be a grand.  Doesn't matter, I'm running this anyway and I invite anyone who fancies it to join me.
  • edited May 2012

Ok, on to a lighter moment.  You may or may have not seen the highlights from my Vegas Luckboxing on Sunday.  They showed highlights of the final table.  From the hands shown I was getting a hammering right up until the end, pretty reflective as I was, from 5 handed until the end, mainly winning lots of small pots which of course aren't going to be shown.  So after big pot after big pot went away, mainly in HU, I got this text from my mother just before the end of the show.

'R U sure u won'

Cheers Ma and when did you start all the text speak?

• edited May 2012

I'm a bit late with this, but massive congrats Tommy.

TID in Vegas! :-)

Incredibly sad news about Barry, a great loss to the forum and community. Gl in Blackpool, hope u take loadz of bounties!

So how do you think the last day of the season will pan out for top4? And will Chelski win in Euro?

Don't think my folks will eva lrn da txt spk lolz.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    I'm a bit late with this, but massive congrats Tommy. TID in Vegas! :-) Incredibly sad news about Barry, a great loss to the forum and community. Gl in Blackpool, hope u take loadz of bounties! So how do you think the last day of the season will pan out for top4? And will Chelski win in Euro? Don't think my folks will eva lrn da txt spk lolz.
    Posted by JingleMa
    I think my team, Spurs, have lost their chance for 3rd now.  I think we'll finish 4th and I will suddenly become German for a bit.  Scared about Chelsea, sometimes you just think someone has their name on the cup.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I think my team, Spurs, have lost their chance for 3rd now.  I think we'll finish 4th and I will suddenly become German for a bit.  Scared about Chelsea, sometimes you just think someone has their name on the cup.
    Posted by TommyD

Lol, that's it Tommy - stay pessimistic like a true Spurs fan! (Me2).

Yeah, we'll do an Everton and Chelski will do a Liverpool 05 - it's written in the stars.

Although it's not exactly the same cos it's not @rse in the CL Final so u neva know!

• edited May 2012
    Oddest hand I've had in a while.  Not often you get donked into by two different people on two different streets.  By the river and facing a less than 1/100 pot bet I just wanted to see cards.  What would you do throughout the hand?  TBH I think it is really close to a fold on the turn.  Only history and how small the bet is made it a call for me.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    bigkyle112 Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £208.05
    P2 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £640.38
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

BOMBDOG Fold     
    launder Fold     
    P1 Call  £2.00 £5.00 £118.65
    TommyD Raise  £8.00 £13.00 £399.65
    bigkyle112 Fold     
    P2Call  £6.00 £19.00 £634.38
    P1 Call  £6.00 £25.00 £112.65
    Flop

P2 Bet  £14.00 £39.00 £620.38
    P1Call  £14.00 £53.00 £98.65
    TommyD Raise  £46.00 £99.00 £353.65
    P2 Call  £32.00 £131.00 £588.38
    P1Call  £32.00 £163.00 £66.65
    Turn

• K

P2 Check     
    P1Bet  £24.00 £187.00 £42.65
    TommyD Call  £24.00 £211.00 £329.65
    P2Call  £24.00 £235.00 £564.38
    River

P2 Check     
    P1 Bet  £2.00 £237.00 £40.65
    TommyD Call  £2.00 £239.00 £327.65
    P2Call  £2.00 £241.00 £562.38
    P1Show

TommyD Show
    • J
    • J

P2 Muck

TommyD Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 7s £239.20
  • edited May 2012
    i know my bet sizing can be a "bit strange", but ruddy hell!!!!
  • edited May 2012
    Congrats Tommy.
     I was in the mini last night on your table where you and Solack were trying to bounce each other out with short stacks.I had the big stack but made sure i kept clear of you two. only to later throw it away with all-in call with 88 v AA.(the cat is still limping!)
     I put "congrats Tommy" in chatbox but youprobably had chat off.
    All the best in vegas and i look forward to your blog on the events. As a novice on site, i've asked advice from you on occasion and you've always come through. You are a good example for other members both success AND, more importantly, attitude-wise. Your posts are informative but light-hearted too. I appreciate that. 
    I was a maths teacher  too for 20+years so where you get the time from to play as well as do your job really does amaze me. Maybe it may reduce when the OFSTED inspection is announced, eh?
    All the best...cheers!!
  • edited May 2012
    Congrats Tommy.   As a novice on site, i've asked advice from you on occasion and you've always come through. You are a good example for other members both success AND, more importantly, attitude-wise. Your posts are informative but light-hearted too. I appreciate that.  Posted by profman15
    BIG+1 to this.  
  • edited May 2012
    Dropping by to say hi...

(not even a teeny weeny bump.. honest guv!!)

xx
  • edited May 2012
    Dropping by to say hi... xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    Hi!

Neighbour watch - Hyacinth is expanding her craziness.  My Gf made that schoolboy error of giving her phone number to her.  This last week she's rang her most days this week.  Last weekend the GF put the call on loud speaker so I could listen in, my word, it's a garbled stream of consciousness that bounces all around a narrative of dislike for Dot.  I doubt the woman took a breath.  As a poker player, i.e. a man always looking for an angle, I saw the opportunity to earn some brownie points and did the whole 'Fake Call for Lunch' routine to help the GF get off the phone, or at least pause the verbal raging bull for a moment to say goodbye.  I have no idea why but as it was a fake lunch that didn't exist I decided to make it a good one.  I shouted 'Honey, the lobster is ready for lunch and the scallops are getting cold!'  Lobster and scallops, that made me hungry.

Hyacinth's landlord, a very patient and understanding fellow, has actually offered her one of his other properties to rent from now on.  It's very close and doesn't have Dot.  Guess what, Hyacinth turned the offer down as she likes it here too much.  She likes the maisonette with phantom noisy neighbour too much?!  Sigh.

In other news from the Stepford Wives estate, a major incident happened yesterday.  A new couple, who moved in a few weeks ago, had a BBQ on the communal grounds in front of their flat.  Not around the back like most people, but out front, loud and proud.  I hope they could relax and enjoy their afternoon with 15 curtains twitching in their direction.

My house move is moving very slowly but we are hoping to exchange next week to complete at the end of the month.  The general stress of this has pretty much left me with writers block, this being the reason I haven't been posting much.  Trying to crack through this.  We'll see.

Happy Sunday Grind Day all!!!!!
  • edited May 2012
    Meh.. cant believe Hiiisinf wasnt out there like a speedy fast thing...

I obv had her pull undermeasured innit??

She's waiting for the mountain to move..

Odds on Hiiiisinf wins..

xx
  • edited May 2012
    Life news.  The saga of moving house rumbles ever so slowly on.  When night becomes day today it will be our forth scheduled exchange date.  I've heard so many excuse for the delays I am fully expecting today's to be 'the dog ate your buyer's mortgage form.'

The people we're buying from arn't exactly the most helpful people either as after heavy discussion on bringing down the time they want between exchange and completion dates, they have budged by the grand total of zero days.  You'd think I was being picky but when we agreed to buy they told us 'we can move out straight away.'  I didn't know they were using tortoise years to define time.

What makes matters worse is that when we viewed the property they detailed a ton of things that they would be willing to sell us and the only thing that we wanted was their petrol driven lawnmower as the garden is so long I'm half expecting to see Sim and Rosie pad up for some practice out there.  So we get the list, no prizes for guessing the one thing that's not on it.  They are trying to sell us some ghastly custom made blinds for three hundred sheets though.  In fact, every communication we are having ends with 'Are you sure you don't want the lovely blinds?'  It's all I can do to not tell them 'No, and my reasons are two fold.  Firstly, they are custom made so I know you can't use them for where ever you are going so I'm a little disappointed you are trying to sell them for full whack; and two, they look like props from a 1970's German Blue Movie.'

Trust me people, moving house is no picnic.
  • edited May 2012
    Poker news, having a good month so far.  Outside of the obvious bink which I'm still over the moon about, we're doing ok.

I'm still grinding DYMs.  Yes yes it's not real poker i know but it really centres me to focus.  I'm playing plenty of them alongside playing the main in my futile jackpot hunt (I will get it one day Dylan, I can't have you having that trump card over me for all time...) and then switching to the cash tables after the inevitable MTT bust outs.

There seem's to be an injection of new players both in the DYM and cash table player pool.  Long may this continue.  That was not meant as a brag or to sound confident, but in my opinion poker sites need a constant flow of new players and new money.  It just means that you have to keep working at your game which is great for me because I can so easily fall into complacency, the poison for a poker player in the modern age.  So keep them coming, the great and the novice, the more the merrier.

Quick DYM question, mainly aimed at the mid-high stake DYM Regs.  I'm noticing a fad of just jamming instead of betting to a sensible level in the early stages, and these jams are with a fairly wide range.  This is mainly coming from some of the new players.  Thoughts on the tactic?  From my seat it's great if you have top end cards but putting your DYM on the line with hands like AJ and KQ which are ahead of the range but by no means thrilling seems a little thin to me.  Especially when we're not at the bubble stage.
  • edited May 2012
    Quick DYM question, mainly aimed at the mid-high stake DYM Regs.  I'm noticing a fad of just jamming instead of betting to a sensible level in the early stages, and these jams are with a fairly wide range.  This is mainly coming from some of the new players.  Thoughts on the tactic?  From my seat it's great if you have top end cards but putting your DYM on the line with hands like AJ and KQ which are ahead of the range but by no means thrilling seems a little thin to me.  Especially when we're not at the bubble stage.
    Posted by TommyD
    What do you mean by early stages? I've recently tried shoving from the 50/100 with like, 16-18bb effective stacks, and I've seen Wrongjohn doing the same thing too. I've noticed since employing this tactic, I've been going out in 5th and 6th a lot more, and finishing as chip leader a lot more than before. My ROI has dropped off this month, whether that's running bad (which I have been) or whether the shove tactic isn't working (very possible), I don't know. Probably a bit of both tbh.

I imagine with the shove tactic, there'll be a point where shoving becomes better than standard raising when you have X big blinds or less, which would depend on opponent's calling ranges, 3bet shove ranges, and equity against each of those ranges with our hand.

Idk how different DYMs are at the really high end as I'm playing mainly £5.50. Don't know what effect this has on the shove vs. call thing - I guess at higher levels, there's more re-stealing, so the shove stops that? 
  • edited May 2012
    Life news.  The saga of moving house rumbles ever so slowly on.  When night becomes day today it will be our forth scheduled exchange date.  I've heard so many excuse for the delays I am fully expecting today's to be 'the dog ate your buyer's mortgage form.' The people we're buying from arn't exactly the most helpful people either as after heavy discussion on bringing down the time they want between exchange and completion dates, they have budged by the grand total of zero days.  You'd think I was being picky but when we agreed to buy they told us 'we can move out straight away.'  I didn't know they were using tortoise years to define time. What makes matters worse is that when we viewed the property they detailed a ton of things that they would be willing to sell us and the only thing that we wanted was their petrol driven lawnmower as the garden is so long I'm half expecting to see Sim and Rosie pad up for some practice out there.  So we get the list, no prizes for guessing the one thing that's not on it.  They are trying to sell us some ghastly custom made blinds for three hundred sheets though.  In fact, every communication we are having ends with 'Are you sure you don't want the lovely blinds?'  It's all I can do to not tell them 'No, and my reasons are two fold.  Firstly, they are custom made so I know you can't use them for where ever you are going so I'm a little disappointed you are trying to sell them for full whack; and two, they look like props from a 1970's German Blue Movie.' Trust me people, moving house is no picnic.
    Posted by TommyD

LOL - Reminds us of the old 'dog ate my homework story'...

...have you ever had that one told to you?
  • edited May 2012
    Poker news, having a good month so far.  Outside of the obvious bink which I'm still over the moon about, we're doing ok. I'm still grinding DYMs.  Yes yes it's not real poker i know but it really centres me to focus.  I'm playing plenty of them alongside playing the main in my futile jackpot hunt (I will get it one day Dylan, I can't have you having that trump card over me for all time...) and then switching to the cash tables after the inevitable MTT bust outs. There seem's to be an injection of new players both in the DYM and cash table player pool.  Long may this continue.  That was not meant as a brag or to sound confident, but in my opinion poker sites need a constant flow of new players and new money.  It just means that you have to keep working at your game which is great for me because I can so easily fall into complacency, the poison for a poker player in the modern age.  So keep them coming, the great and the novice, the more the merrier. Quick DYM question, mainly aimed at the mid-high stake DYM Regs.  I'm noticing a fad of just jamming instead of betting to a sensible level in the early stages, and these jams are with a fairly wide range.  This is mainly coming from some of the new players.  Thoughts on the tactic?  From my seat it's great if you have top end cards but putting your DYM on the line with hands like AJ and KQ which are ahead of the range but by no means thrilling seems a little thin to me.  Especially when we're not at the bubble stage.
    Posted by TommyD

I have been playing mainly 11s to 22s recently with the odd (mainly unsuccesful) shot at £55s thrown in. I can't say that i have noticed this trend so much, but I will look out for it and report back!  Also, at what stage do you consider a jam early (how many bigs?) I have never been shy to jam earlier than most btw...

I will say that i am starting to think that table selection is very important because there are some good regs at my levels and when there are 3 of them, and me, and an unknown shark, it starts to get -ev. Sorry to change the subject but what are you thoughts on game selection in DYMS please Tom?

Good Luck in your jackpot hunting. I am now playing the main/mini most nights too, so hopefully one of us will get lucky like Dylan soon eh... we can dream innit :)

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : What do you mean by early stages? I've recently tried shoving from the 50/100 with like, 16-18bb effective stacks, and I've seen Wrongjohn doing the same thing too. I've noticed since employing this tactic, I've been going out in 5th and 6th a lot more, and finishing as chip leader a lot more than before. My ROI has dropped off this month, whether that's running bad (which I have been) or whether the shove tactic isn't working (very possible), I don't know. Probably a bit of both tbh. I imagine with the shove tactic, there'll be a point where shoving becomes better than standard raising when you have X big blinds or less, which would depend on opponent's calling ranges, 3bet shove ranges, and equity against each of those ranges with our hand. Idk how different DYMs are at the really high end as I'm playing mainly £5.50. Don't know what effect this has on the shove vs. call thing - I guess at higher levels, there's more re-stealing, so the shove stops that? 
    Posted by EvilPingu
    I mean the first few levels.  Seen more than one person open shove 30-40 BB.

50/100 is pretty much my last level of raising, not shoving but I'll shove as well up to 15BB I think, maybe 18.

I hate being the caller to a pre flop signifcant shove in a DYM, gives me a rash.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : LOL - Reminds us of the old 'dog ate my homework story'... ...have you ever had that one told to you?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Sadly no, that would be somewhat more believable than some of the stuff i have heard.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I have been playing mainly 11s to 22s recently with the odd (mainly unsuccesful) shot at £55s thrown in. I can't say that i have noticed this trend so much, but I will look out for it and report back!  Also, at what stage do you consider a jam early (how many bigs?) I have never been shy to jam earlier than most btw... I will say that i am starting to think that table selection is very important because there are some good regs at my levels and when there are 3 of them, and me, and an unknown shark, it starts to get -ev. Sorry to change the subject but what are you thoughts on game selection in DYMS please Tom?Good Luck in your jackpot hunting. I am now playing the main/mini most nights too, so hopefully one of us will get lucky like Dylan soon eh... we can dream innit :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Game selection is probably my weakest area Greg.  I really don't think it matters in DYMs that much, the playerpool isn't deep enough to pick, repops don't happen until 3 or 4 reg (many other sites which used to repop STTs when just one seat was filled now wait a lot longer as well) and you should be playing a style that kind of negates really tough tables, or at least gives you a decent fist of it.  Of course if someone with less skill sits then all the better.  I pretty much never game select anything, probably something I have to work on.
  • edited May 2012
    Quick question, what kind of pictures of Roy Hodgson do you think Stuart Downing has?
  • edited May 2012
      Bit late but verry well done tommy on vegas bink iv just found this thread and im gonna go through it later and look forward to following it in future.I will b rooting for u in vegas cos i think your the sort to promote sky to the max . cheers m8
  • edited May 2012
      Bit late but verry well done tommy on vegas bink iv just found this thread and im gonna go through it later and look forward to following it in future.I will b rooting for u in vegas cos i think your the sort to promote sky to the max . cheers m8
    Posted by goldenb238
    Cheers Golden

And thank you to everyone for the support.

I've only got a couple of concerns about Vegas.  First up is the flight.  Now I don't have a fear of flying exactly, although I'm not the most relaxed in the air.  My fear thing comes from my first ever long haul flight, I was ten and the whole family were off to Disney World Florida.  Obviously I was completely excited, really looking forward to everything.  Now back then I used to wear shorts all of the time, loved them, and was wearing a rather fetching beige pair for the journey.  So we get on the flight, I'm loving the radio in my chair and the whole experience.  Then my thighs started to swell.  I'm not sure if it was the altitude or the fact I drank fifty odd cups of water from the cooler at the back, but my legs expanded to the size of a couple of pigs.  I waddled off the flight and after we checked in to the hotel I no realised my shorts were cutting into my legs and what was worse I couldn't get them off.  I think we had to cut me loose in the end.  That's kind of stayed with me over the years, then again a ten year old having his legs mutate on a flight would stick in the mind, hardly ever worn a pair of short outside of sport since.  I'm considering flying in leather trousers just to keep everything squeezed and compact.

My second concern is the tipping.  I've looked at a few guide sites and it looks like I'm giving everyone money.  I don't mind it but I just don't want to get stiffed by tipping too much or offend anyone by tipping too little.  Looking at the guides I'm surprised by a few of them, $3 for the maid service to clean the room.  Is that $3 a day?  The only job I've ever had where I got a tip was working in a bar, but being a British bar it wasn't exactly expected and was normally a pint.  I just haven't got my head around the mentality of it, I know it's a big thing over there, I guess I'm just not sure how big.  I'm sure I'll pick it up, any advice guys?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Cheers Golden And thank you to everyone for the support. I've only got a couple of concerns about Vegas.  First up is the flight.  Now I don't have a fear of flying exactly, although I'm not the most relaxed in the air.  My fear thing comes from my first ever long haul flight, I was ten and the whole family were off to Disney World Florida.  Obviously I was completely excited, really looking forward to everything.  Now back then I used to wear shorts all of the time, loved them, and was wearing a rather fetching beige pair for the journey.  So we get on the flight, I'm loving the radio in my chair and the whole experience.  Then my thighs started to swell.  I'm not sure if it was the altitude or the fact I drank fifty odd cups of water from the cooler at the back, but my legs expanded to the size of a couple of pigs.  I waddled off the flight and after we checked in to the hotel I no realised my shorts were cutting into my legs and what was worse I couldn't get them off.  I think we had to cut me loose in the end.  That's kind of stayed with me over the years, then again a ten year old having his legs mutate on a flight would stick in the mind, hardly ever worn a pair of short outside of sport since.  I'm considering flying in leather trousers just to keep everything squeezed and compact. My second concern is the tipping.  I've looked at a few guide sites and it looks like I'm giving everyone money.  I don't mind it but I just don't want to get stiffed by tipping too much or offend anyone by tipping too little.  Looking at the guides I'm surprised by a few of them, $3 for the maid service to clean the room.  Is that $3 a day?  The only job I've ever had where I got a tip was working in a bar, but being a British bar it wasn't exactly expected and was normally a pint.  I just haven't got my head around the mentality of it, I know it's a big thing over there, I guess I'm just not sure how big.  I'm sure I'll pick it up, any advice guys?
    Posted by TommyD
    Ye im a very bad flyer too, not cos my legs mutated when i was 10, but cos im so stressed the whole time thinking something us gonna happen and the slightest knock or bump, or funny noise from the engine, makes me paranoid the thing is gonna fall out of the sky!

With regard to tipping... Its a shame Carlo and Channing are not about, if you remember that debate they had on the live cash game on sky. But from my memory of my Vegas trip I tipped a 1 dollar bill for most things, dunno if that's stingy or what, but that's what i was told to do... 

don't know about the maid service because i hardly ever in my room... think i left a bit of change after i left tho.. I do remember a friend of mine managed to tip a fat male toilet attendant £100 at a famous gentlemans club. i think he mis-understood why he was there... Hes not rich either, he just made a drunken error lol.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time Tommy regardless, even if you have to use a mobility scooter like Doyle when you arrive..:)

• edited May 2012
    Tipping in America is a joke.

You walk out the Rio to get a cab a guy opens the cab door and that's it and expects a tip.

you are meant to tip for everything. just be English and act all pompous and don't give em nothing imo unless they are touching your food or have acces to your valuables :p
  • edited May 2012
    when i went to vegas last year it was my first flight ever.  only felt like i was about to die roughly 30times or so so wasnt too bad, helped that i had beaneh to play chinese with and be in profits before even landing in vegas.

never tipped maid service because we were never in when they cleaned up i think, but pretty much everyone wants money so its helpful to ignore them or if you like them give them a dorrar
  • edited May 2012
    Quick question, what kind of pictures of Roy Hodgson do you think Stuart Downing has?
    Posted by TommyD
    The same photos Joey Barton has when he played for England !!So i imagine they must be of Sepp Blatter or Michel Platini !!

With regards to flying, just make sure you have a good sit down toilet stop before you get on the flight(those cubicles on board are just not good on any plane!)When flying with my brother and sister in law , also make the stewardesses aware what colour wine you're prepared to drink(when free,like virgin) with your meal, just so they don't say no thankyou we don't drink wine! whilst your asleep!!
  • edited May 2012
    P.S What other profession apart from lawyers/solicitors is it beneficial for them to take their time resolving any disputes or issues? It's going to take another 3 weeks to resolve this problem Mr TommyD (whilst actually i'm on holiday in Cyprus and my secretary is handling/differing all my calls),while i can still charge you another £50 for an enquiry letter about progress. Marvellous, hope you get your move sorted soon.Cheers Dave.