You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Bad news son I think ur mas dug out those shorts for your Vegas trip
  • edited May 2012
    Tipping in Vegas - you can't get it right so why bother - the pompous Brit attitude has a lot going for it.

Took a taxi from one hotel to another to see a show. Had to spend the whole trip listening to the driver tell us what a hard time he was having, what with the economy and everything. Not very impressed but, uncharacteristically, I decided to give him a 15% tip (normally getting more than 10% from me is like getting blood out of a stone). He looked down at it and said "WHAT, THAT IS SO INSULTING, HERE TAKE IT BACK IF THAT IS ALL YOU WILL PAY". OK I said, took it back and walked off. So, even when you think you might have overpaid, don't worry - they won't.

I saw an interesting study done in the US recently. If you give a lower than average tip they will not think it is because they did not serve you well (which is the usual reason for us Brits not paying up), they will assume it is because you are a miser.

So you have a choice. Be Mr Nice Tommy D, and overpay everywhere, or just say **** it - give a rounded up 10% and be prepared for the moans and groans.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    Bad news son I think ur mas dug out those shorts for your Vegas trip
    Posted by WotAlias
    I felt quite unwell over the weekend.  I am blaming this comment.  Thanks Dad.
  • edited May 2012
    Thank you all very much for your Vegas advice and to Any2 for the talk about Lawyers. Talking of Lawyers, I nearly was one. In many ways I should have been one. That's a long story for another time.

Anyway WE'VE EXCHANGED!!!!!!

Finally the deal is done and competition date has been confirmed. We've started getting the bits and bobs together for move. All the boring stuff. It looks like I'm out of broadband for eleven days, been told it's down to the telecommunications company in charge of the line rather than the broadband provider (Brandname swerve complete). No poker for the best part of two weeks? Might actually have to head down to Stratford and play live. Then again, it is Stratford...

Pokerwise, yesterday was a complete grind. I was in a great spot to final table both the Primo and the 5k BHer late on and managed to fall just before the money in both, in the later it was on the pure bubble. Cash was mostly a battering, got it in in good spots for the majority but it was one of those nights where they manage to go the long way round to take the pot. Nothing wrong with that, taken that bus route many times myself. Grind, grind, grind, down to one cash table, great game but that big get level spot seemed like it was never coming. It got to 4am, then I made Quads and closed the day in profit. Poker can be an unusual pursuit.
  • edited May 2012
    when in doubt about tipping, just think....what would carlo do?  sure the various taxi drivers/dealers/toilet attendents/random people who open doors will love you for it.

you got any idea of what else you are gonna play in vegas?  tonnes of cash? or get in some tournies?  
  • edited May 2012
    when in doubt about tipping, just think....what would carlo do?  sure the various taxi drivers/dealers/toilet attendents/random people who open doors will love you for it. you got any idea of what else you are gonna play in vegas?  tonnes of cash? or get in some tournies?  
    Posted by scotty77
    Yes but what Carlo loses in the tipping he makes up for in the All You Can Eat Breakfast Buffet.  Everything has balance.  Talking of breakfast, heard next door that the Eggs Benedict at the Bellagio is, and I quote, 'The Best In The World.'  Now when it comes to that lovely combination of hollandaise, bacon, pancake and egg I'm somewhat a connoisseur.  That's posh speak for the fact I pig out on the stuff.  Can I get secondary confirmation please?  If confirmed I'm marking that as a must do attraction.

Haven't sorted my schedule yet.  At the moment I'm thinking of tourneys to start with then after my Bruv flies back (he's leaving early) then I'll hit the proper cash grind.  By then I should be bust from the big one, or if my run good holds I'll play cash after the day end.  Now I know what you're thinking, it's my first Main and I have no idea how zapped I'll be after a full day's play.  Maybe true, but you've never seen me slip it into fifth gear for the live grind.  Make sure I have access to regular tea and watch me laugh in the face of sleep.
  • edited May 2012
    All the boring stuff. It looks like I'm out of broadband for eleven days, been told it's down to the telecommunications company in charge of the line rather than the broadband provider (Brandname swerve complete). No poker for the best part of two weeks?
    Posted by TommyD
    That's a shame Tommy.  Pity you didn't live in a big city where they have this new thing wi-fi!  ;-)
    Also, I think we all should be invited to the house-warming? We've been through so much over the last few weeks/months it's the least you could do?  Fire up a barbie, some brewskies, couple of card tables...just think of the rake?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : That's a shame Tommy.  Pity you didn't live in a big city where they have this new thing wi-fi!  ;-) Also, I think we all should be invited to the house-warming? We've been through so much over the last few weeks/months it's the least you could do?  Fire up a barbie, some brewskies, couple of card tables...just think of the rake?
    Posted by Glenelg
    Don't tempt me Pad.  Saying to the GF that 'a few poker buds are popping round for a BBQ.' and then having most if not all of the community rock up for burgers and beers would be worth the party property damage just to find out what the look on her face would be.  Well almost.  Well, you'd probably see me walking the streets with all of my belongings tied up in a red hanky on a stick, but by gawd it might be worth it.

Oh and yes, I know, get a dongle etc.  Gotta get on that case.
  • edited May 2012
    Nver been to the Bellagio for the breakfast but I've heard that it is the nuts there from various people.

The food places @ the Rio are pretty poor in comparison to the rest of Vegas....Strata at the Wynn is recommended and ofc you ahve to go to a proper steakhouse too....

• edited May 2012
    Music news, becoming addicted to this track.  The video is pretty neat as well, especially if you know the story behind the movie.  The movie is called 'The First of the Few' a British propaganda film (the term propaganda here meaning government backed, not quite with the negative connotations that it has now).  It's a biopic of R.J. Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire.  Filmed during the war, some of the extras are actual fighter pilots, and when the alert was sent they jump in their planes, fight, and return for filming.  Bizarre stuff by modern standards and unbelievably beautiful.

Thank you 6Music for introducing me to this track.

Spitfire
  • edited May 2012

Absolutely brilliant, love stuff like this but never gets the recognition it deserves.
  • edited May 2012

Any idea where you can get hold of this stuff, tried I-Tunes, but no joy.
  • edited May 2012

Can't stop playing it, just found pre-order. 
     A must have!

• edited May 2012
     Can't stop playing it, just found pre-order.   A must have!
    Posted by 68Trebor
    I know the feeling, been doing the same thing mate.

Glad you like it, so much good music out there if you listen to more than the normal radio and TV music channels.
  • edited May 2012
    Sigh

A Friday night of watching old comedy on TV, grinding poker and moderating drunken forum posters.

I used to go out, get drunk and fail to pull you know!!!!

So middle aged.....
  • edited May 2012
    I just get mildly tipsy and then try and get angry forum posters to see sense and reason.....

See you Tuesday btw!
  • edited May 2012

Yup see you then.  Should be a great laugh, looking forward to it.  I'm planning to stick my head to Jakally's for the whole four hours and learn poker through osmosis.  Gotta be worth a try.

• edited May 2012
    Enjoying the Vegas food talk, can't wait for it. 
  • edited May 2012
    Poker news, saw something naughty today.  One semi-reg who is known for playing high, being crazy loose and can shove with anything at anytime managed to get it all in pre flop with kings twice within ten minutes.  Both times they ran into Aces and didn't bink.  Brutal, plus ten minutes beforehand they shoved a Jack high flush into the nut flush of a lucky donk (and you guys know I only call one person in the whole of poker a donk ;) )

BRM FTW people, perfect poker and a bag down in half an hour.
  • edited May 2012
    Enjoying the Vegas food talk, can't wait for it. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Not the most shocking thing you've ever posted mate ;)

BTW have a great show Sunday!!  I will be watching of course.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Not the most shocking thing you've ever posted mate ;) BTW have a great show Sunday!!  I will be watching of course.
    Posted by TommyD
    TyTy, same to you and Neil, will be a cracking one to watch, plus you get a proper analyst in Ryan, I get Gramps ;)
  • edited May 2012
    just read your thread and the fact your going to vegas whoooohoooooo you lucky booger, but im sure it was skill that got you there wd bud. Question for you: do you have a battle plan for when you go? i.e are you going to get some training in for different scenarios that you may encounter and figure out chip rates and blind levels and diffent approaches to how you might play at certain stages of the torny? what will you do if you encounter a well known pro? or dealing with heat and hunger in such a long event. Im sure there are a lot of things to prepare for especialy mentaly. Or are you just going to turn up late in a humvee like helmuth dressed as a general in the arms of gorgous woment? Im sure there are lots of things to consider and just knowing that you will be playing in it must be hard to get your head around. Maybe meet up with the guys that went last year and have a beer and a chat with them to get some inside info and knowlage that might help you. I know its a lot of questions but do you think you will have a plan or wing it lol :)
  • edited May 2012
    just read your thread and the fact your going to vegas whoooohoooooo you lucky booger, but im sure it was skill that got you there wd bud. Question for you: do you have a battle plan for when you go? i.e are you going to get some training in for different scenarios that you may encounter and figure out chip rates and blind levels and diffent approaches to how you might play at certain stages of the torny? what will you do if you encounter a well known pro? or dealing with heat and hunger in such a long event. Im sure there are a lot of things to prepare for especialy mentaly. Or are you just going to turn up late in a humvee like helmuth dressed as a general in the arms of gorgous woment? Im sure there are lots of things to consider and just knowing that you will be playing in it must be hard to get your head around. Maybe meet up with the guys that went last year and have a beer and a chat with them to get some inside info and knowlage that might help you. I know its a lot of questions but do you think you will have a plan or wing it lol :)
    Posted by Dazler
    Interesting question Daz.  To be honest I'm playing it just like any other tourney.  It seems somewhat trite to say it but there it is.  I know the structure is very slow so I'm treating the early play like a cash game.  If I last to a point where stack sizes become more like the traditional tournament style then I just slip into tournament player and what will be will be.

If I meet a famous pro?  Well the last thing I'm going to do is ring my Mum and say 'Guess what, I'm sat next to Phil Hellmuth.'  The table's will have tough spots and decent spots, arguably the more dangerous players will be unknown super MTT grinders only recognisable by their aversion to sunlight.  Also, right here on Sky I have faced one of the best online tournament players in the world, got put under full pressure and made the right move.  I've never been the most confident of people but thinking back to that hand (the only time on Sky during a tournament that I have wanted a time bank as well) I picked through it and it shows I'm worth my seat at any tournament table.  I'm not the best, I have limited talent but when it comes to working at your game that's where I appear in one of the upper percentiles, and that's what let's me sit down with anyone and not go into my shell.

Heat shouldn't be a problem, by all accounts it's like a freezer in the Rio.  Hunger?  I never eat while playing poker and I can legitimately last a long time without taking a bite.

The bottom line, I'm going to enjoy my holiday, be nice and chilled, and if I run good, I run good.  If i bust level 1 then I find a nice cash game.  I'll be winging it mostly, life's more interesting that way.
  • edited May 2012
    Heat shouldn't be a problem, by all accounts it's like a freezer in the Rio.  Hunger?  I never eat while playing poker and I can legitimately last a long time without taking a bite.

The queue for food during the breaks at the main will be ridic.

I'd advise getting Dylan to be a nice helpful chap and order some room service to your room or get you a sandwich/whatever from the poker kitchen.

Thats gonna be my plan :)

What day you gonna play?
  • edited May 2012
    Heat shouldn't be a problem, by all accounts it's like a freezer in the Rio.  Hunger?  I never eat while playing poker and I can legitimately last a long time without taking a bite. The queue for food during the breaks at the main will be ridic. I'd advise getting Dylan to be a nice helpful chap and order some room service to your room or get you a sandwich/whatever from the poker kitchen. Thats gonna be my plan :) What day you gonna play?
    Posted by scotty77
    Sounds good but I normally don't eat during dinner breaks while playing poker either.  I'm sure I can convince Dylan to have a couple of emergency sandwiches on standby though just in case.

I'm playing 1B.  Not sure why I chose it, just felt right.
  • edited May 2012
    have a sleep and life!!!GN both
    Posted by martin111
    Sleeping is overrated.  Never needed much, never wanted any.

A life I have, and I'm very lucky to have it.  Not a day goes by when I'm not thankful for how lucky I am.

Good night to you too, sweet dreams.
  • edited May 2012
    Happy to help Ryan/Tommy et al on the food front but no promises that the food will be free of any bite marks resembling my mouth. Plus you have to remember that Neil will be there and I only have one pair of hands to carry food. 

On a serious note, I like the idea of getting food when needed before the breaks begin so it saves you all with the stress of queing etc so we can work it out and "wing it" as Tommy seems comfortable doing. 
  • edited May 2012
    Bit of a lurker on your thread Tommy but only an occasional poster, always a very interesting read.

So what date are you guys all flying out?
  • edited May 2012
    Bit of a lurker on your thread Tommy but only an occasional poster, always a very interesting read. So what date are you guys all flying out?
    Posted by Lambert180

4th of July and back on the 14th of July. 

Tommy, have you reserved those seats yet? 

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : 4th of July and back on the 14th of July.  Tommy, have you reserved those seats yet? 
    Posted by dylan12
    Yet to be given the option mate, might have been picked for me already.