You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Well no matter what results you have tonight mate, at least you have Greghogg for company, nice. 
    Posted by dylan12
    Too good
  • edited May 2014
    Sunday is on a knife edge between amazing and a massive disappointment.  Got a great *** to post and ask about, this message here is a reminder.
  • edited May 2014
    Like the idea tommy, gl with the night ahead
  • edited May 2014
    Brutal brutal hour.

Finished second in the UKPC challenge so I have no idea if I get anything for that having already won a seat through the sats.  Congrats to Solly but darn it, can't believe how I ran HU.  I never ever say I think I played a game perfect but tbh I think I played that SnG perfect.  Two hands HU where I lose to the one over.  It happens.

Zero other cashes, Next door amazing gets theres near bubbled my last two runnings in the special and a remarkable play cost me the UKPC sat there.

So what do we have left?  Roller, MBI, UKPC Final on Sky and the Scoop main L .

At this point I would consider re regging some I de regged earlier but I've been through the ringer.  Gonna try to focus on these.  Still ever chance of a big score, but with nothing in the bank and four left, the heat is indeed on.
  • edited May 2014
    Here's the mini exit.  Just posting it to show that contrary to popular belief it happens to me too.  Sets getting flushed is the theme for me today everywhere.  Time to focus and let's win something!!!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind  200.00 200.00 18780.00
    TommyD Big blind  400.00 600.00 11715.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

john1215 Call  400.00 1000.00 12127.51
    Parmenion Fold     
    tyler1 Call  400.00 1400.00 15250.00
    hhyftrftdr Fold     
    Lambert180 Fold     
    TommyD Raise  1200.00 2600.00 10515.00
    john1215 Call  1200.00 3800.00 10927.51
    tyler1 Call  1200.00 5000.00 14050.00
    Flop

• J

TommyD Bet  2500.00 7500.00 8015.00
    john1215 Call  2500.00 10000.00 8427.51
    tyler1 Fold     
    Turn

TommyD All-in  8015.00 18015.00 0.00
    john1215 All-in  8427.51 26442.51 0.00
    john1215 Unmatched bet  412.51 26030.00 412.51
    TommyD Show
    • J
    • J

john1215 Show
    • K

River

• K

john1215 Win Flush to the King 26030.00
  • edited May 2014
    That sng was a master class by yourself Tom, never seen anything like it. 

Next time we meet up I would love to chat to you about it and also varying strat involved because I can't think of many, if any, that would of come 2nd there in your position. Very unlucky hu obviously but you can only get it in ahead as they said. 

Pleased for solly as well, nice guy and as an Arsenal fan it was always going to be his weekend :-) 

Keep it going mate. 
  • edited May 2014
    Single tabling the Roller with 25 odd BB.  Things have pretty much fell asunder.  Pretty much lost all focus and near bubbling the UKPC Sat after AK<AQ was nasty.

I deregged a lot but I'm basically in for a grand with one bounty from a £11 BHer and the phantom maybe of something or nothing from the UKPC challenge STT.

Feeling pretty darn low, started playing bad in the roller.  Getting owned bu all now after building up a stack.  Gotta find some focus from somewhere.

SCOOP Main exit was a 13bb Shove from the button with 55 into BB 66.  Might be a bad shove, I think it's probs ok with blinds and antes there and it being unopened.

Last table to save the day, gotta dig deep and find something.
  • edited May 2014
    That sng was a master class by yourself Tom, never seen anything like it.  Next time we meet up I would love to chat to you about it and also varying strat involved because I can't think of many, if any, that would of come 2nd there in your position. Very unlucky hu obviously but you can only get it in ahead as they said.  Pleased for solly as well, nice guy and as an Arsenal fan it was always going to be his weekend :-)  Keep it going mate. 
    Posted by dylan12
    +1.........I was a sly railer from 4 left and was hugely impressed. Machine!
  • edited May 2014
    From T+C Tom....

"12. Any player that has already won a 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat without the (£500 expense credit) can still participate in the promotion and will be awarded the same cash value up to £500 of the seat value/package." 

• edited May 2014
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : +1.........I was a sly railer from 4 left and was hugely impressed. Machine!
    Posted by waller02
    tyvm man.  Felt good then.  That's the fun of a Sunday, one hour you can feel like you are in control of everything and then the next suddenly you feel like everything is tough.
  • edited May 2014
    lovejunky Small blind 1500.00 1500.00 104767.10
    TommyD Big blind  3000.00 4500.00 20762.50
      Your hole cards

lyonsbob06 Fold     
    M4VERICK Raise  6000.00 10500.00 165009.00
    rndmmuppet Raise  12000.00 22500.00 59182.50
    lovejunky Fold     
    TommyD All-in  20762.50 43262.50 0.00
    M4VERICK Call  17762.50 61025.00 147246.50
    rndmmuppet Call  11762.50 72787.50 47420.00
    Flop

M4VERICK Check     
    rndmmuppet All-in  47420.00 120207.50 0.00
    M4VERICK Call  47420.00 167627.50 99826.50
    TommyD Show

M4VERICK Show

rndmmuppet Show
    • J
    • J

Turn

River

TommyD Win Full House, 9s and 8s 72787.50  72787.50
    rndmmuppet Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 8s 94840.00  94840.00
    They happen for me as well obviously.  Game on Roller now!!!
  • edited May 2014
    7/8 in the Roller.

It all comes down to this.
  • edited May 2014
    Finished 7th for £800 odd.  Been an emotional day.  Will post back again for the aftermath.  All gg now.  Hope you've at least found it interesting what goes through the mind of a MTT player on a Sunday.  Below is the final hand of the day, happy grinding all
    TommyD Small blind  4000.00 4000.00 72591.60
    Glenelg Big blind  8000.00 12000.00 416324.14
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • J

chicknMelt Fold     
    TommyD All-in  72591.60 84591.60 0.00
    Glenelg Call  68591.60 153183.20 347732.54
    TommyD Show
    • K
    • J

Glenelg Show
    • K

Flop

Turn

River

Glenelg Win Pair of 7s 153183.20  500915.74
  • edited May 2014
    Unlucky with that KJ hand Tommy.  He's a 52% dog IF you're shoving the top 80% hands.  I wonder if Glenelg still makes that call if he did not have so many chips?
  • edited May 2014
    Unlucky with that KJ hand Tommy.  He's a 52% dog IF you're shoving the top 80% hands.  I wonder if Glenelg still makes that call if he did not have so many chips?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Obvs not!  I knew at this stage in the tourney Tommys shoving range was pretty wide.   Tommy will prob also testify I had been running INSANELY well.  With about 40 left I just knew I was gonna make FT! 
    UL Tommy. Not sure if it helps?  but YOU are one of the players I have "stalked" when learning to play the game. 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Obvs not!  I knew at this stage in the tourney Tommys shoving range was pretty wide.   Tommy will prob also testify I had been running INSANELY well.  With about 40 left I just knew I was gonna make FT!  UL Tommy. Not sure if it helps?  but YOU are one of the players I have "stalked" when learning to play the game. 
    Posted by Glenelg

Didn't think you would :)
  • edited May 2014
    Hello tommy.

Nice cash for you yesterday.  One of my aims is to get in the roller again. Only managd too sat once. But not much luck in the game itself. Was the first 30k megaroller. Would love too cash one of these events never mind winning one.

Noticed a few post back you like the game of thrones, really enjoying this series. And cant wait for the next episode after that lannister stare down. Great ending. 

Just a quick one tommy. When u started here on sky what level did u start at. Did you have a good BR too start with or did u build from a small depsit? And work up the levels?
  • edited May 2014
    Pretty easy call for K7 there in my opinion.  

BB would need to have a low opinion of Tommys <10xbb game to consider folding.
  • edited May 2014
    Pretty easy call for K7 there in my opinion.   BB would need to have a low opinion of Tommys <10xbb game to consider folding.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah like I said he's 52% fav if Tommy is shoving 80% hands (almost a coin flip) and 55% if Tommy is shoving 100%.  Although I wonder, is Tommy really going to be jamming 100% hands here knowing that Glenelg's calling range will be so wide?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yeah like I said he's 52% fav if Tommy is shoving 80% hands (almost a coin flip) and 55% if Tommy is shoving 100%.  Although I wonder, is Tommy really going to be jamming 100% hands here knowing that Glenelg's calling range will be so wide?
    Posted by DoubleAAA

I would think he would be. Less than 10 bb you cant really afford too sit and wait for bigger cards.  And what better than the ones he had.  I think glenelgs is calling him of with almost anything. Plus the fact he was runnimg well too add too that. 
  • edited May 2014
    Theres a fair % of dead money already in. 1.5xbb Is a fair chunk of an 18xbb pot.

Dunno the maths but I'd imagine we'd only need around 45%. We should have that comfortably.

K high good for 9 blinds HU v any good player.
  • edited May 2014
    Hello tommy. Nice cash for you yesterday.  One of my aims is to get in the roller again. Only managd too sat once. But not much luck in the game itself. Was the first 30k megaroller. Would love too cash one of these events never mind winning one. Noticed a few post back you like the game of thrones, really enjoying this series. And cant wait for the next episode after that lannister stare down. Great ending.  Just a quick one tommy. When u started here on sky what level did u start at. Did you have a good BR too start with or did u build from a small depsit? And work up the levels?
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Hey Chris

Yeah today represents my 'light internet' day so I don't catch any Game of Thrones Spoilers by accident.  Should be a good one tonight.

When I started on Sky in the very early days like I lot of people I just put on a few hundred and played the TV tournament to get on the tele.  When I took it more seriously I deposited a couple of hundred I believe and started at 5p/10p, the £5/£10 SnGs and the low level MTTs.

I have said in a recent thread about the satellites that I got my roll from £60.  That is true and isn't true.  That £60 story is in one of the early pages of this diary, it was the bottom point of a killer downswing I had here some years ago now.  Cliffs are I refused to top up and made an oath to myself to never have to deposit on here again, that I would spin up or walk away.  I'm still spinning.

Good luck with the Roller, if you have any satty questions or hands feel free to post them up here.  I'm ok at sats.
  • edited May 2014

The Roller exit hand, I see there has been a chat.

Firstly congrats Glenelg on the score, nice one mate.  Also well done AJ for winning it.

Not gonna discuss my ranges too much if that's ok, I'll just say that is a standard easy call with K7o in most situations against a decent player with sub 10bb.

• edited May 2014
    Pretty easy call for K7 there in my opinion.   BB would need to have a low opinion of Tommys <10xbb game to consider folding.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    BB needs 44.8% equity for a call to be +ev. Tommy needs to be shoving 49% of hands in SB for K7o to have that equity. When Tommy is playing against someone who he knows will call v wide I don't think he will be shoving that many hands. It's probably somewhere in the region of 30-40% of hands. Ax+, any pair, K5+, Q7+, JT and maybe a few small SC's if it's closer to 40%. 

So IMO it's not a terrible call with K7 but it's far from an easy call. Were Tommy to be on 7bb's or less then K7o does become a super standard call.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hey Chris Yeah today represents my 'light internet' day so I don't catch any Game of Thrones Spoilers by accident.  Should be a good one tonight. When I started on Sky in the very early days like I lot of people I just put on a few hundred and played the TV tournament to get on the tele.  When I took it more seriously I deposited a couple of hundred I believe and started at 5p/10p, the £5/£10 SnGs and the low level MTTs. I have said in a recent thread about the satellites that I got my roll from £60.  That is true and isn't true.  That £60 story is in one of the early pages of this diary, it was the bottom point of a killer downswing I had here some years ago now.  Cliffs are I refused to top up and made an oath to myself to never have to deposit on here again, that I would spin up or walk away.  I'm still spinning. Good luck with the Roller, if you have any satty questions or hands feel free to post them up here.  I'm ok at sats.
    Posted by TommyD

Hate spoilers!!!

have you read the books tommy? i'm not much of a reader but reading "the mental game of poker " at the minute, enjoying that, but hear TGOT books are fantastic.

there is a good chance ill be playing a lot of sats for the bigger tournaments and only reg for the mini if I make the main.

Im also playing low level cash at the minute so any advice on any of these will go a long way, play 8nl and if mastercash is on I will try and sit on one of the lower stakes too see if I get any TV feedback.

also just started the 6max challenge last night, only too realise its for £5.50 or more, so that will destroy my BR if I don't run well, so far played 1 came 2nd, which allows me too play another 2 of these. plus DTD Monday aswell.
  • edited May 2014
    Hate to hijack this thread but I just have to!!!!
    Love GOTs! And I've read all the books and yes they are amazing....thoroughly recommend them!

You are in for a treat in tonight's episode...argh can't wait!!
    Ahem...

:)
    Good luck at the tables!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : BB needs 44.8% equity for a call to be +ev. Tommy needs to be shoving 49% of hands in SB for K7o to have that equity. When Tommy is playing against someone who he knows will call v wide I don't think he will be shoving that many hands. It's probably somewhere in the region of 30-40% of hands. Ax+, any pair, K5+, Q7+, JT and maybe a few small SC's if it's closer to 40%.  So IMO it's not a terrible call with K7 but it's far from an easy call. Were Tommy to be on 7bb's or less then K7o does become a super standard call.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    1)  Not having a pop at the call.  In a vacuum if we are saying solid winning reg shoving my stack here it is standard.

2)  With regards to the part of Ivan's post I have bolded, he's pretty much nailed it.  Giving it away a bit here but my shove range was actually slightly tighter than Ivan has set out, purely on the basis I knew Pad's call range pretty well.  It's a standard adjustment imo when you start really thinking deep into it and as much as I hate to be relatively nitty 3 handed and sub 10bb, I felt it was the only way to be.
  • edited May 2014
    Hate to hijack this thread but I just have to!!!! Love GOTs! And I've read all the books and yes they are amazing....thoroughly recommend them! You are in for a treat in tonight's episode...argh can't wait!! Ahem... :) Good luck at the tables!
    Posted by mrsduck
    It is quality.  I have the first two books on my shelf but I'm yet to read them.  They are on my list for travelling reading for the next poker related train journey I go on, along with what's left of the Stephen King back catalogue I haven't read yet.

Yeah tonight looks grand.  'Mocking Bird.'  Hmmmmm
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hate spoilers!!! have you read the books tommy? i'm not much of a reader but reading "the mental game of poker " at the minute, enjoying that, but hear TGOT books are fantastic. there is a good chance ill be playing a lot of sats for the bigger tournaments and only reg for the mini if I make the main. Im also playing low level cash at the minute so any advice on any of these will go a long way, play 8nl and if mastercash is on I will try and sit on one of the lower stakes too see if I get any TV feedback. also just started the 6max challenge last night, only too realise its for £5.50 or more, so that will destroy my BR if I don't run well, so far played 1 came 2nd, which allows me too play another 2 of these. plus DTD Monday aswell.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Like I said to Ducky, not read them yet and I loathe spoilers.  I allow myself to see the episode title to give myself a little tease so as long as they never call an episode 'How xxxx gets beheaded' I'll be alright.

Low level cash is all about doing the basics well.  It's a fantastic proving ground to build up your poker ability.  Just keep doing the simple stuff correct and you will make money, it won't be a quick buck but it will be a slow solid growth.

I think there is decent value in the £5 SnGs tbh.  SnGs are funny, they used to be the most popular form going.  Then they got 'solved' and previous winning regs were becoming rakeback winners, everyone ran so close.  Then most of the world stops playing STTs.  Now everyone appears to have forgotten the absolute optimal strategy for them (I'm talking on most sites) and the recreational player pool has topped up somewhat.  I'm gonna be having another go at it probably.  I started on STTs on another site really and I do love playing them.