You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited January 2014

The charity hasn't been confirmed yet but I have an idea so will try and confirm asap. The Arsenal community charity seems like a good idea but I don't know if I can do it to Tommy!

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    WP on the ME bink last night sir. Diary was lying dormant :( so thought I'd give it a bump Any side bets with Bates again this year? What charity was it in the end for last year, save a gooner? How's January been for you?
    Posted by Lambert180
    tyvm Lambo

So let's try to get the ol' diary back into action:

January?  Well it's been swingy.  Had one of my worst ever downswings in the middle of it.  I managed to drop £7k in four days, the technical term for this sort of expenditure is a 'City Trader Weekender in Amsterdam.'  Pre swong I had a purple patch, post swong I did a heck of a lot of grinding.  Just like AC/DC we are now back in black for January.  I'm probably going to cruise the last couple of days as well, I never have a winning January since the dawn of time, so booking a win would be sweet albeit a small one.

Ahhh, good reminding on the bet with Bates.  Bet with Bates?  Sounds like a channel 5 TV show, probably with a naked Keith Chegwin.  Anyways, when Mr B decides upon the charity I will obv donate.

This year we're doing a good one so I have decided to keep track of it here.  It is:

BINGO WITH BATESO

I know what you're thinking, how can anyone out bingo the man I will always call Bingo Bates.  Well I like a challenge.  The bingo card for the year is:

Every main of the week
    Every mini of the week
    Every 9pm £55 Bounty Hunter/The 9pm roller slot of UKOPS weeks etc of the week
    Every 10.30 £55 Speed Bounty Hunter (obviously called the Matt Bates Invitational) of the week

Four in a night,  twenty eight spaces to fill on the card.  You tick them off with a win, most spaces filled in a year wins (or first to house up and get the set, although this is unreal tough).

And we've both frankly gotten off to a slow start.

The current scoring:

Matt - 1 - Weds Mini
    Tommy 2 - Fri 9pm, Weds Main.

Obviously will get a lot more interesting closer to the end of the year or if we heater them.  You will notice of course that Matt hasn't won the MBI this month to date.  Might be time for a name change.....
  • edited January 2014
    WP on the ME bink last night sir. Diary was lying dormant :( so thought I'd give it a bump Any side bets with Bates again this year? What charity was it in the end for last year, save a gooner? How's January been for you?
    Posted by Lambert180
    I dont think its the gooners that need to be saved, when you go to scouse land the locals are soo hard up they need to nick your wheels, or at the very least charge you "insurance" for minding them !
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : tyvm Lambo So let's try to get the ol' diary back into action: January?  Well it's been swingy.  Had one of my worst ever downswings in the middle of it.  I managed to drop £7k in four days, the technical term for this sort of expenditure is a 'City Trader Weekender in Amsterdam.'  Pre swong I had a purple patch, post swong I did a heck of a lot of grinding.  Just like AC/DC we are now back in black for January.  I'm probably going to cruise the last couple of days as well, I never have a winning January since the dawn of time, so booking a win would be sweet albeit a small one. Ahhh, good reminding on the bet with Bates.  Bet with Bates?  Sounds like a channel 5 TV show, probably with a naked Keith Chegwin.  Anyways, when Mr B decides upon the charity I will obv donate. This year we're doing a good one so I have decided to keep track of it here.  It is: BINGO WITH BATESO I know what you're thinking, how can anyone out bingo the man I will always call Bingo Bates.  Well I like a challenge.  The bingo card for the year is: Every main of the week Every mini of the week Every 9pm £55 Bounty Hunter/The 9pm roller slot of UKOPS weeks etc of the week Every 10.30 £55 Speed Bounty Hunter (obviously called the Matt Bates Invitational) of the week Four in a night,  twenty eight spaces to fill on the card.  You tick them off with a win, most spaces filled in a year wins (or first to house up and get the set, although this is unreal tough). And we've both frankly gotten off to a slow start. The current scoring: Matt - 1 - Weds Mini Tommy 2 - Fri 9pm, Weds Main. Obviously will get a lot more interesting closer to the end of the year or if we heater them.  You will notice of course that Matt hasn't won the MBI this month to date.  Might be time for a name change.....
    Posted by TommyD

WP tommy, I guess it softens the blow of last night if you get my drift ;).

PS dont mention garages !

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : It's not surprising really thingslike this would crop up. Afterall, she did some shocking things to this country, i wasnt even born when she came to power but i've never met anyone that had a good word to say about her. What she did to the miners and mining communities was criminal. I was speaking to a miner once who was telling me they had to rely on charity for a year just to survive during the strikes! Tight communities were blighted and split by her uncompromising stance. Unlike the guy who relied on charity to feed his family during the strike those who actually broke the strikes to feed their families were, and are still, "scabs" in their home towns. It would seem she had no compassion or empathy
    Posted by LARSON7
    Replace Thatcher with Scargill and you may be right.
  • edited May 2014
    Hows Matts bingo card coming on, and your own?
  • edited May 2014
    Posted by Lambert180
    I have sent Matt off into the cavern or MTT history right now to check.  When he comes back I'm sure I won't believe him and have to go through Gary's thread myself.  Will keep you abreast.
  • edited May 2014
    Posted by Lambert180
    Good prompt lambo, I have geeked it up and the scores on the doors are (we both have multiple wins on some nights)

1 main win each
    1 mini win each
    3 £55bh wins for me, 2 for Mr D
    2 £55bh speed wins v 4 for Mr D

This means its 8 v 7 in the favour of the old guy.
  • edited May 2014
    Gonna kick start this dairy again by doing an inplay Sunday thread.  Tomorrow will be the life stuff portion when I am completely whacked and mentally drained, but with a little glint as a new episode of Game of Thrones will only be a few hours away.  Hopefully it will give an impression of the emotionally charged Sunday people who rely on poker as their source of income experience.

So I'm all regged up for the day.  We're on three sites today.  Sky, next door and ***.  I have gone fairly heavy on Sky and ND, fairly light on *** but obviously in for the wing and a prayer big score finals.  You never know, it might be my day.  Just in the lows of the first two shovel events, plus oversized 11 and Bad Weather.  (You may have picked up I've decided to over do the code for non Sky sites).  As for Next Door, in for today's biggie there, a couple of the supports and will be grinding the Sats for the DTD live Deepstack and of course the UKPC.  Here on Sky, basically regged everything a tenner and over up until 10:30pm.  Really looking forward to the Roller tonight, I feel good and think I can break my barren spell in it.  The UKPC final here should offer up a ton of seats (today is the day to take a shot at it if you are considering it imo) plus I've got he challenge final which will add a fun dynamic to my screen at a time I hope it will be chock-a-block.

Got a music mix on, it's ten hours in length.  Let's hope I have to restart it today.

Happy gringing all, I hope to update every break :)

Oh yeah, numbers.  In for £1.5k or so across the poker world today.  Let's see if it was worth it.
  • edited May 2014
    Hour 1 done.

The calm before the storm.  Only been one tabling for the last hour, a £11 BHer on Sky.  Pretty much in the field with one bounty.  I haven't really focussed in just yet but nice a settled.  I keep looking outside through my office door to the garden.  Looks like a lovely day for a beer and to chill with friends.  Sun is shining, life feels good.  Then instead of feeling sorry for myself I remember two key points:

1)  Sunday's is the biggest day of the week for Online Poker.  It's one of the sacrifices, alongside giving up many Friday and Saturday nights.

2)  Luckily I'm at the age where most of my good friends have mortgages and fleets of little 'uns.  It's not like there's a party going on and I'm missing out.

Still, would be nice to chill in the garden with a cold one.

To give you an idea, here is my view.  Please excuse the washing.  It's washing day.  I am obviously over 30 after saying that.
  • edited May 2014
    First Exit of the day, the first £11 BHer.  Ended up with one bounty.  Don't think I'd ever do much different.  Obviously worried about KJ but sometimes they have it.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    happybet Small blind  75.00 75.00 5022.50
    jutka9 Big blind  150.00 225.00 14110.00
      Your hole cards

carwynjone Fold     
    fisherking Fold     
    TommyD Raise  300.00 525.00 6215.00
    happybet Call  225.00 750.00 4797.50
    jutka9 Call  150.00 900.00 13960.00
    Flop

happybet Bet  675.00 1575.00 4122.50
    jutka9 Call  675.00 2250.00 13285.00
    TommyD Call  675.00 2925.00 5540.00
    Turn

• Q

happybet All-in  4122.50 7047.50 0.00
    jutka9 Raise  8245.00 15292.50 5040.00
    TommyD All-in  5540.00 20832.50 0.00
    jutka9 Unmatched bet  2705.00 18127.50 7745.00
    happybet Show

jutka9 Show
    • K
    • J

TommyD Show

River

• K

jutka9 Win Straight to the King 18127.50
  • edited May 2014
    BTW, feel free to be critical of any hands I post up, might not respond today but will respond soon hopefully.

2 tabling Sky now, other sites begin from 4pm.

In other news, the Hound is running around in the garden without a care in the world, chewing stuff.  Lucky girl :)
  • edited May 2014
    GL Tommy...hope to see you on the ft of the £22 BH! :)
  • edited May 2014
    GL Tommy...hope to see you on the ft of the £22 BH! :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    ty ty.  Here's to hoping :)
  • edited May 2014
    BTW, feel free to be critical of any hands I post up, might not respond today but will respond soon hopefully. 2 tabling Sky now, other sites begin from 4pm. In other news, the Hound is running around in the garden without a care in the world, chewing stuff.  Lucky girl :)
    Posted by TommyD
    I have a question about the hand. The flop isn't the driest flop in the world so would a raise have been better? If not, why not? I know this is being results orientated but in this case wouldn't a raise have prob lead to you being HU with the 9T guy?

A genuine question as I honestly don't know what the best move would be in that spot.

Gl in all your games today
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I have a question about the hand. The flop isn't the driest flop in the world so would a raise have been better? If not, why not? I know this is being results orientated but in this case wouldn't a raise have prob lead to you being HU with the 9T guy? A genuine question as I honestly don't know what the best move would be in that spot. Gl in all your games today
    Posted by waller02
    Single tabling so can answer.  I sometimes raise here, I sometimes flat here with the entire part of my range I wish to continue with.  I thought at the time that if I raise I fold out so much against the big stack.  They'd only call with sets/T9 and really strong combo draws which I am ok against but not absolutely crushing.  I felt I could get more value by flatting here and planning to get it in on the turn.  Didn't work out this time obviously.

We have to think why we are betting.  If it's to fold out everything we crush then we're doing something wrong.  Although I take your point on board totally that that is a wet flop.  And like I say, sometimes I raise for value, sometimes I flat.
  • edited May 2014
    GG £22 BHer.  TID Ducky!!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    hughesie Small blind  30.00 30.00 2570.00
    TommyD Big blind  60.00 90.00 2140.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

danny1958 Call  60.00 150.00 5377.50
    HUGHMANS Call  60.00 210.00 2392.50
    karlluke Fold     
    hughesie Call  30.00 240.00 2540.00
    TommyD Raise  300.00 540.00 1840.00
    danny1958 Fold     
    HUGHMANS Call  300.00 840.00 2092.50
    hughesie Fold     
    Flop

• Q

TommyD Bet  480.00 1320.00 1360.00
    HUGHMANS All-in  2092.50 3412.50 0.00
    TommyD All-in  1360.00 4772.50 0.00
    HUGHMANS Unmatched bet  252.50 4520.00 252.50
    TommyD Show
    • K
    • A

HUGHMANS Show

Turn

River

• A

HUGHMANS Win Two Pairs, 9s and 7s 4520.00
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Single tabling so can answer.  I sometimes raise here, I sometimes flat here with the entire part of my range I wish to continue with.  I thought at the time that if I raise I fold out so much against the big stack.  They'd only call with sets/T9 and really strong combo draws which I am ok against but not absolutely crushing.  I felt I could get more value by flatting here and planning to get it in on the turn.  Didn't work out this time obviously. We have to think why we are betting.  If it's to fold out everything we crush then we're doing something wrong.  Although I take your point on board totally that that is a wet flop.  And like I say, sometimes I raise for value, sometimes I flat.
    Posted by TommyD
    Cheers for your swift reply and thanks for explaining your thought process. Will try to take this on board for when I'm in similar spots.

Hope you run better in your other games!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Cheers for your swift reply and thanks for explaining your thought process. Will try to take this on board for when I'm in similar spots. Hope you run better in your other games!
    Posted by waller02
    Cheers man, it's always a rollercoaster so there will be plenty more funny spots.

Just to expand on that hand more.  Their gutshot isn't the only turn card, they can also pick up a K or J etc to make it more difficult for them to fold.  It's not just get there's a bricks for my oppos there, many cards in the deck, many permutations.

Anyway, back to it.  Made first hour of the early Roller sat, got an ok stack.  ***  and Next door about to enter the fray.  Sunday starts in earnest.
  • edited May 2014

Are you getting TV appearance money? Taken from tonight's live show thread.

9pm – Coverage of the UKPC challenge final 

I am still playing the 1st one which wasn't shown or even mentioned! 

GL on your Sunday grind.......not that you will need any :)

Thought you would of caught the sun today at The Emirates BTW.......
  • edited May 2014
    Are you getting TV appearance money? Taken from tonight's live show thread. 9pm  – Coverage of the UKPC challenge final  I am still playing the 1st one which wasn't shown or even mentioned!  GL on your Sunday grind.......not that you will need any :) Thought you would of caught the sun today at The Emirates BTW....... ☺
    Posted by MAXALLY
    What, did they have a parade?  You'd have thought they would have told someone or at least put some notices up.  Some teams....

Hopefully your one will be shown on another night.  I have bought popcorn especially :)
  • edited May 2014
    Had better starts on Sky on a Sunday.  4 up and 4 down with minimal return.  It happens.  *** Shovel Event 43L has muddled through without anything really happening in the first hour, ditto Next Door's Get Cosy.  Feeling a little meh at the moment, haven't really connected, not feeling any traction and ever so slightly intimidated the session ahead.

Need more tea I think.
  • edited May 2014
    De Regged all 22 and less BHers and the 22 Deepie on Sky.  Had a sudden moment of clarity as to how many tables will open between 6pm and 9pm.  I think I need to focus so that means dropping some of the schedule.  Not playing really badly but not in the zone.  Will try to give myself the best possible shot in the bigger stuff, some of it doesn't come around on a weekly basis.

No real progress on ***, can't find a spot next door.  Getting ever so slightly frustrated.  Not at the races yet.  Will watch a Rocky montage in the break to find inspiration.
  • edited May 2014
    Had to de reg a ton of stuff.  I really messed up my schedule before like a boy in a candy store.

The meat of Sky will open soon, only got a Roller semi going there, bumbling along.

Next Door I have GGed get Cosy, got their main to the power of 4 going, average start

Shovel 43L on ***, found some traction, probably luckboxing, managed to chip up a bunch.  And I have survived late reg in it, a feat in itself.

GL grinders.  Feeling more in the zone of a Sunday :)
  • edited May 2014
    Nice to see this back up and running. 

I really enjoy reading this diary and long may it continue. 

Very best of luck to you tonight mate and I truly hope you run deep in quite a few and if so I will pop along and rail later :-) 

In the mean time, I look forward to reading your updates. 
  • edited May 2014
    Rough hour.  A little while ago I'm worried I'll have too many tables for my screen.  Now I'm wondering where an cash will come from.  Things sorta falling part.

GG 43l.  JJ v KK Button v SB.  Not sure if standard or if I could play it different.  Think it'll be one I discuss with friends later.  44L just started, that's my only other *** tonight.

Next Door, 3 of the starting 4 still carry the banner into the next hour, one of them with a decent stack, the other two around the average.  Still got the UKPC sat next door to come at 9pm

Since the de regging Sky has been mostly sats with no real success.  But I still have main and mini, 9pm, MBI YKPC final and UKPC Challenge ahead.  Now it matters.
  • edited May 2014
    An ok Hour.  Decent start in Roller.  Mini table is lively and I'm a little behind at the mo, some fun hands though.

Next Door I have two good stacks and one below average stack in the special.

*** Main around starting, not much to report.

Big hour this coming up, really is going to define my day I feel.  Game face time.

In other news the Hound has decided to stop licking and chewing everything in the garden.  She has decided right now she'd much prefer to lie behind me and snore like a fog horn.  Bless.  Kinda......
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Replace Thatcher with Scargill and you may be right.
    Posted by diablo_pez

+1
  • edited May 2014
    An ok Hour.  Decent start in Roller.  Mini table is lively and I'm a little behind at the mo, some fun hands though. Next Door I have two good stacks and one below average stack in the special. *** Main around starting, not much to report. Big hour this coming up, really is going to define my day I feel.  Game face time. In other news the Hound has decided to stop licking and chewing everything in the garden.  She has decided right now she'd much prefer to lie behind me and snore like a fog horn.  Bless.  Kinda......
    Posted by TommyD
    Well no matter what results you have tonight mate, at least you have Greghogg for company, nice.