You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : If he gives me any lip on the walk over, you can have a picture of a sober Tommy in the canal as well if you want! 
    Posted by dylan12
    You're gonna have to catch me first.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm at the Britannia, apparently it's a 6 minute drive, but a 5 minute walk...
  • edited April 2013
    I'm at the Britannia, apparently it's a 6 minute drive, but a 5 minute walk...
    Posted by Lambert180
    Well I know the one way system in Nottingham can be bad but.....
  • edited April 2013
    And so I'm packing for DTD right now.  Won't be able to update this over the weekend but keep an eye out for all of the threads and updates on how TSP are getting on.  Really looking forward to it and to be honest not expecting much personally.  Like I've droned on about I'm not exactly playing at my peak right now.  However this can be a good thing as well, I feel zero pressure.  If I bust level 1, hey there are plenty of our guys to rail.

On a related note, the GF has told me a dozen times to not get drunk tonight when we all meet up.  To me this tells me:

1)  She has already assumed I will win and;

2)  She has already either spent or allocated the money.

Always nice when you feel you have to win to break even.
  • edited April 2013
    Going to start my Monte Carlo trip report with the cliffs for once.  It's pretty much what I always seem to type for live games.

Cliffs:  The tourney was very frustrating, didn't do too much wrong or too much right, luckily paid for my expenses on the cash tables.

I'm writing that one too much for live tournies lately.

So that was the MC at DTD.  Having been delayed in leaving London by a naughty, chew happy and extremely quick dog, already out of puff and slightly red of cheek I hit the road for Nottingham.  I normally take the scenic route via Rutland Water, a beautiful spot I often stroll around on the way to DTD.  However I was running late so I decided to take the M1 straight up.  Of course a storm over Luton and a vast array of other drivers not knowing how to drive when it rains a bit made this my longest drive up to date.

After dumping my bags and running through a shower, I met up with some of the guys from TSP at what was claimed to be the oldest pub in the world.  A lovely quirky place carved into the rock below Nottingham castle.  Julian was already waiting, using that time to pop the 50p coin he saw on the street into the fruity and hitting the jackpot plus double repeater (I assume this happened, he was smiling).  I cracking night of drinks and curry.  And Andrew's stories.  Wowzers, you'd wouldn't think of it.

After keeping my promise to the GF and not getting a hang over for the main event I was up ridiculously early.  I had a long walk down the canal to get the blood pumping and off I went for the MC.  Wearing a football suit around three sizes too big I sat at a half decent table.  I knew a couple of players were very good but I could tell a few people who were a little nervous as well.  Second hand I flopped a set, got no action.  That was the highest my chips ever got.

I managed to get into a pot with one of or the best player on the table early.  This hand was misreported in the thread so here's what happened and where I think I should have folded.  I 3bet AQs from the button into an opener and two callers, I get three callers.  I cbet Qs 9s 8c, one caller.  That caller C/R on a Qc turn.  I flat.  I was going to check behind all turns but those trips made me a little bit more interested, they probably shouldn't have.  About a 3/4 pot bet on a Kh River, I should have folded but I did call it off.  The K is a really bad card for me but I could tell the player was uncomfortable with it as well despite the bet.  And the K nails me more than him IMO, so why bet a bad card and bet that big, and have two turned flush draws miss.  Because you do kinda have to bet nines full on the end there.  But I didn't lose that much to be honest, I was still at 24k from 30k.  While I think the river should be a fold I don't think it was that bad of a call.

Then I had six hours of frustration, a bit like my old University Ball nights.  They kept flopping sets, trips and a straight.  My confidence wavered and I just stopped seeing the spots.  Eventually I had faded down to 10.5 which was still around 25 bigs at the time.  UTG I see AKs, raise it.  Really hope to get 3bet so I can get it all in the middle.  The BB obliges, only playing 14k himself he pops it, I jam it, and he calls with AQo.  TBH like me, I think he was just looking for a hand to spin.  A barren dry flop ops a thought in my head.  This hand would give me around 50bb.  That's plenty, I can get this thing going again.  Q on the river.  Good luck everyone.  My only thought as I left the table was 'How do I tell Matt I went out with AK.  Again.  He'll wet himself with laughter.'

I spent the rest of that day railing my TSP buddies.  This sounds like a shill but I thought they all played very well, much better than I did.  They were all also lovely company and did the TSP proud.  It was a fab weekend, Aussie managed to get half of DTD to sign his shirt,  JL bought Dylan some lovely birthday cakes (notice the plural, another good read JL).  Both Tikay and Tighty worked their socks off and I thought provided great support and humour for us all.  The shirts did their job in so far as at least a dozen people asked me about the site and the tournament schedule etc.  And on my performance I would expect those people to sign up soon.

Many congrats for Andrew, Stebar and Beaneh on cashing, very pleased for all three of you.

Oh yeah, cash tables, I made the nittiest fold in my life (AK on A46 two spades to a C/R from the most active player on the table).  Obviously it looks awful but I'm still convinced I was either miles behind or only slightly ahead in the odds.  Not only was she the most bluffy player she was also the best,  I was sat opposite her and had seen her C/R other people a ton.  Sometimes she'd win a pot, sometimes she said 'you win' when called down.  The only reason I folded was her whole body language and more importantly timing completely changed for the first time ever.  I'm convinced she couldn't get the chips in fast enough and IMO is too good to be over rating lesser Aces, especially when I have fired a few streets  in the past myself.  Anyway, there were much better places at the table to try to grind some cash out of.  The very last hand I end up playing was pretty much the first time I had it in a big pot.  JJ on QJ6.  I fire flop, turn and get C/R on the river.  I Call, I win a big one.  The other player leaves and the table suddenly snap breaks around me.  What is this online or something?  I decide to call it a night with no other 1/1 games running and it being 4 in the morning.

And that was the MC at DTD.  Thank you all for your support on the threads, it does honestly means a lot.  Fingers crossed for the next one.
  • edited April 2013
    I forgot one hand I was going to mention from the MC.  It was the side event on the Saturday night.  I'm not involved, but it was classic live poker.

Preflop.

Oppo 1 tries to raise, hasn't realised the blinds have gone up and puts the wrong amount in, it goes as a limp.  As is the way with these things, he gets 186 callers behind.

Flop.

Oppo number 2 raises and puts the wrong colour chip in, this time it's far too much with a 5k chip rather than a 500.  As is the way with these things the other person in the pot just calls.

Turn

Oppo number 3 checks out of turn.  Confusion reigns.

River

check/check, I go for a coffee while they play chicken as to who will turn their cards over first.

Gotta love live poker.
  • edited April 2013
    I forgot one hand I was going to mention from the MC.  It was the side event on the Saturday night.  I'm not involved, but it was classic live poker. Preflop. Oppo 1 tries to raise, hasn't realised the blinds have gone up and puts the wrong amount in, it goes as a limp.  As is the way with these things, he gets 186 callers behind. Flop. Oppo number 2 raises and puts the wrong colour chip in, this time it's far too much with a 5k chip rather than a 500.  As is the way with these things the other person in the pot just calls. Turn Oppo number 3 checks out of turn.  Confusion reigns. River check/check, I go for a coffee while they play chicken as to who will turn their cards over first. Gotta love live poker.
    Posted by TommyD
    Wow, with standard like that you must have crushed surely? How much you get for the win?
  • edited April 2013
    Out of interest, having played very very little live cash, if a large raise goes in by mistake (and everyone knows it's a genuine mistake) is it very bad etiquette to then raise?

Great scene setting there, I guess part of the problem was that the majority of the table weren't drinking coffee...?
  • edited April 2013
    Out of interest, having played very very little live cash, if a large raise goes in by mistake (and everyone knows it's a genuine mistake) is it very bad etiquette to then raise? Great scene setting there, I guess part of the problem was that the majority of the table weren't drinking coffee...?
    Posted by bbMike

so the sharks smell blood - and you want them to do what exactly?

• edited April 2013
    Out of interest, having played very very little live cash, if a large raise goes in by mistake (and everyone knows it's a genuine mistake) is it very bad etiquette to then raise? Great scene setting there, I guess part of the problem was that the majority of the table weren't drinking coffee...?
    Posted by bbMike
    Not bad etiquette at all.  The game's all about taking advantage of mistakes, the obvious and otherwise.  Just remember that other people might know what you are doing and might try to exploit you.
  • edited April 2013
    This'll be my last post about the Monte Carlo, I promise.  I'm sort of ashamed I didn't post this earlier.  There were some of the nicest people who popped along to see how everyone was doing and partake of the atmosphere.

Tina (Karlluke) turned up to see how everyone was which was lovely.  She was on very good form and was great to see her.

Llamas and Dylan were of course there and railed a bunch as did the Amarie, all splendid company.

My personal favourite was one of the deserved forum legends who hasn't been around these parts in a long while, too long imo.  He was on sparkling form and it really made me miss the old fun days where we used to have a little late night Omaha club going here.  There were a few in those games, Darich, Machka, Greg, Dyl, Tikay, AcesBarry to name a few, and of course this fellow.  A man who took on Richard Orford in a crossword contest in very much the way a Lion would let a young cub scrap and slap them around for hours on end before just slamming them away with one paw when the moment was right.  It was the first time I've met MereNovice in person but he was a complete delight.  I hope you're at one of these again soon Vince.
  • edited April 2013
    I miss those Omaha nights...Meeting Vince was a highlight for me, he helps so many people out "off forum", amazing man and does it quietly with no request of a return favour. 

Was good to see you as well Tom, thanks for busting when you did as I was hungry. I still laugh at Ryan and Dai busting as soon as we mention nandos (had to be there). 

I did look out for you before I left but couldn't see you, sorry for not saying bye but it was midnight and had a long drive ahead. 
  • edited April 2013

When buying food for the pup I also bought a raffle ticket.  It was bought at a pet store for a charity called 'Adopt a pet.'  My pet just chewed up the raffle ticket.

Love irony.

• edited April 2013
    After the trick to make my broken phone charger work has finally stopped working, I have finally given in.  Goodbye Nokia 5 or something like that.  Might give it a Viking funeral.

I've ordered an iPhone.  I feel dirty now.
  • edited April 2013
    The cult of apple finally got you. Condolences
  • edited April 2013
    The cult of apple finally got you. Condolences
    Posted by Giant811
    They paint you into a corner Giant.  I'm there looking at the Galaxys, Blackberrys even the new Nokias.  Then I think 'Well I do have that iTunes account, would be nice to play them on the phone.'  Sigh, they got me.  Ok which new phone shoud I have gone for?
  • edited April 2013
    This'll be my last post about the Monte Carlo, I promise.  I'm sort of ashamed I didn't post this earlier.  There were some of the nicest people who popped along to see how everyone was doing and partake of the atmosphere. Tina (Karlluke) turned up to see how everyone was which was lovely.  She was on very good form and was great to see her. Llamas and Dylan were of course there and railed a bunch as did the Amarie, all splendid company. My personal favourite was one of the deserved forum legends who hasn't been around these parts in a long while, too long imo.  He was on sparkling form and it really made me miss the old fun days where we used to have a little late night Omaha club going here.  There were a few in those games, Darich, Machka, Greg, Dyl, Tikay, AcesBarry to name a few, and of course this fellow.  A man who took on Richard Orford in a crossword contest in very much the way a Lion would let a young cub scrap and slap them around for hours on end before just slamming them away with one paw when the moment was right.  It was the first time I've met MereNovice in person but he was a complete delight.  I hope you're at one of these again soon Vince.
    Posted by TommyD

These nights were really enjoyable no abuse or questions in the chat box, just fun.

As for Merepedanticnovice ;) The man who helped me a lot in the days (he did all the hard work) of updating and comps we use to run, which Chris and DTW have taken to the next level, Legend can be an overused word to some but in this case he is a Legend. 

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : They paint you into a corner Giant.  I'm there looking at the Galaxys, Blackberrys even the new Nokias.  Then I think 'Well I do have that iTunes account, would be nice to play them on the phone.'  Sigh, they got me.  Ok which new phone shoud I have gone for?
    Posted by TommyD
    I have an HTC ONE X. It's quite big, so a rather tiny person like you might have to use both hands to hold it. The screen is brilliant, loads of memory and power. Only potential issue is battery life, especially if you use it for gaming, videos etc. That huge screen and all those processor cores need a lot of juice.
  • edited April 2013
    Also while I'm on the topic of apple bashing. Itunes has to be the worst piece of mainstream software in history. Unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought an Ipod as my first MP3 player 6 or 7 years ago, so I'm stuck with it as it's too much effort to transfer or re-download dozens of GB of podcasts.
  • edited April 2013
    samsung galaxy s2/3/4
    or other impressive android machines

apple just locks you in and won't let you out

maybe they could get away with it in the old days when they had the best system. But no longer.

used to love nokia - n95 - but they didn't move with the times.
  • edited April 2013
    With QPR going down it looks like I owe HappyNige some cash.  Darn it, really thought 'Arry would get them going and it would be a lot closer than this.  When you look at the squad and manager they never should be down this early if at all.

Sigh, post or PM me Nige the next SPT you're at, you'll be paid Sir.

Blooming Hoops.
  • edited April 2013
    The problem i see with QPR tommy is they have a number of great individual players going forward. The big loss i think was the defender going off to the states to become a manager - cant mind his name. I mean how many premiership quality strikers does one team need. 

Defensivley they where frail. Although still suprised they flopped the way the have. 
  • edited April 2013
    as with most things he touches you can guarantee one thing re qpr

its not 'arrys fault

no surprise his dozen of media mates are not criticising him

the golden boy

• edited May 2013
    as with most things he touches you can guarantee one thing re qpr its not 'arrys fault no surprise his dozen of media mates are not criticising him the golden boy
    Posted by bugaloo
    Hey Bug, been a while.

'Arry's got that good poker player instinct, always leave yourself an out.

TBH I am shocked he wasn't able to get any sort of reaction from the players at QPR, from of the looks of the stats and performances he pretty much had no affect.

We'll see if he leaves and where he'll go next year.
  • edited May 2013
    So you may have noticed the 'Big Deal' promo.  I've decided to take a flyer at both tiers, for the challenge rather than anything else.  It's going to be tough, I'm just about to get ready for a funeral today and I'm commentating at West Ham tomorrow.  However I'm going to try to pull another mammoth session, a la the end of January.  Saturday from 8pm to Midnight Monday.  Gonna be fun.  Kind of.
  • edited May 2013
    Politics news (just for Don)

Enjoying the mass U-Turns by the three major parties following the UKIP surge at the recent council elections.  Currently I pretty much detest all political parties, being a politician has become a career rather being a representative for a community and their interests.  Politicians first aim is to survive, then to thrive.  Maybe I'm reflective of the general apathy people in this country have right now.  MPs haven't learnt a jot from the expenses scandal.  I remember an interview with some brand new shiny MPs on the day the last government was formed.  It was around lunchtime.  They were asked about expenses and to a man and woman, across all parties their first reaction was 'I've kept the receipts.'  For crying out loud, you've been there half a day and you'll already charging the public for stuff.

Now I pretty much disagree with UKIP entirely.  However, seeing Nigel Farage pop for a cheeky lunchtime pint after a good day/night at the office, I can't help but liking his style.  No doubt they will revert to the same old same old in quick time, but at least the whole situation is amusing me at the moment.
  • edited May 2013
    If the likes of Cameron and UKIP push their anti-European nonsense to the point where the UK leaves the EU and I have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to stay/work here I will be a very angry giant. You have all been warned!
  • edited May 2013
    If the likes of Cameron and UKIP push their anti-European nonsense to the point where the UK leaves the EU and I have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to stay/work  here I will be a very angry giant. You have all been warned!
    Posted by Giant811
    Who usually has most of the chips!! 

p.s. Cameron = Dead man walking! (Politically speaking, of course)
  • edited May 2013
    I'll be so pleased when this promo ends.  I thought it was a good one but combining the fact I'm getting grief for it as well as doing my wassits in it is just ebbing at my soul.  Mass multi tabling means I've made some mistakes but I am certain I am running below expectation.  At a lovely -15% ROI which is personally disappointing.  Sigh, these things happen, guess I gotta work harder.  This would be my favourite of the hands in this promo:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xSmall blind  25.00 25.00 2695.00
    eboue27402 Big blind  50.00 75.00 3225.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

alig1234 Fold     
    TommyD Raise  150.00 225.00 2025.00
    The_Flex Fold     
    Call  125.00 350.00 2570.00
    eboue27402 Fold     
    Flop

Check     
    TommyD Bet  250.00 600.00 1775.00
    xCall  250.00 850.00 2320.00
    Turn

• Q

Check     
    TommyD Bet  450.00 1300.00 1325.00
    Call  450.00 1750.00 1870.00
    River

• Q

xAll-in  1870.00 3620.00 0.00
    TommyD All-in  1325.00 4945.00 0.00
    xUnmatched bet  545.00 4400.00 545.00
    xShow
    • Q

TommyD Show
    • K
    • K

xWin Three Queens 4400.00

PLO fun night tomorrow night,  I promised I'd help Tikay out so I'll be playing wither some micro PLO STTs or MTTs with the chat open.  If anyone has a question about Omaha please come along and chat about the hands, hopefully it'll be a fun night.  After that I'll be taking a week or so break away from the forum.  After some of the comments and attitudes I've encountered over the last weekend I need a break away.  Maybe I'm being over sensitive, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm out of line.  All of those possibilities do not change the fact that while in the past I have gone well out of my way to help people here with small to big things, yet right now the thought I doing the same for a lot of people makes me want to physically vomit.  I'll do tomorrow because I have already offered.  After that it's into the cave with me for a bit.
  • edited May 2013
    you are too thin-skinned Mr TommyD
    it's a problem for a lot of the good guys
    but pleased you were TommyD, promo player, and not a Mod on that other thread
    looking forward to the omaha advice tomorrow
    & all your posts therafter

PS still time to get rid of that iphone if you got it on-line - distance selling regs & all that