You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    So my Sunday League team got relegated today.  Our heady heights of anywhere but the bottom division lasted for just one season.  We still had a chance to avoid it today with a double header against the league leaders, until we heard a team had pulled out and instead of wiping the scores the league gave everyone who hadn't played them 3 points.  I'm pretty sure we're the only team who had played them twice so it proper sucked.  It was a long shot today but that ruling destroyed us.

We lost both games anyway, but I actually got a goal.  Now this shouldn't be to much of a deal, except for the fact that as the very shapely form of a 1950's Right Back it's only my second in over a decade of playing for the side.  I don't get up the field much, gotta defend those wingers.  It wasn't a classic either, just a very old trick of going up for a freekick from wide (it was the last few minutes of the first game, at five nil down there wasn't much more damage so I thought might as well), knowing our right winger is blowing out of his backside so this kick is going low and short, and the oldest movement trick in the book.  Bounce one back, marker then goes and takes two in that direction, bounce forward in front, slide onto the ball and find the bottom corner.  That's the good thing about old tricks.  They still work.  Sucks I couldn't celebrate though, game being buried and all.

So I'm sat here in my Office looking at the painting my Dad bought me for my birthday a couple of years back.  It's a picture of a pair of football boots hanging my their laces from a nail.  I call it 'The Hint.'  Looking back at the season I did start to think to myself 'Is this the last one?'  Getting up at the crack of dawn on a Sunday to mark 19 year olds sprinting at me in the freezing rain, it's not always fun.  A special moment came this season when a new ref told me how old he was.  He was less than half of my age.  I could have legally sired this ref.  A ref.  So sigh.  I'm one of the founding members of our team, a result of night in the pub with a group of us thinking 'Sunday League, how hard can it be?'  Well I've seen someone try to use a Cornerflag as a spear, Ref's give penalties from 80 yards away and team mates throw up in the centre circle.  Most of the other founders have quit the team now.  It happens with all things, a few good mates called it a day last year.  We got our first ever promotion and some have newborns, new wives and other things to do on those frosty Sunday mornings.  It does make me chuckle a bit though, most have told me they quit to spend time with their family.  I see on FB that these people are being dragged to IKEA or Westfield every other Sunday, it's not exactly the poetic father/new born son and daughter time some have pitched it to me.

So I'm sat here, looking at 'The Hint.'  Team's relegated, leg sore with pain, both ankles weak a twisting at the most unexpected time, exhausted, mentally drained and with the stark possibility that there is now a chance a Ref will not only book me but ask for me to take a paternity test.  So is it time to call it a day and hang my boots up next to the picture?

I did think about it.  For about five seconds.  I blooming hate IKEA.  And I never quit.
  • edited April 2013
    Great post Tommy! Keep going so long as you can get close enough to bring down the young wingers.
  • edited April 2013
    Tommy as a former winger myself, i have 1 question

What is your thoughts on the "break their leg" technique? 
  • edited April 2013
    unlucky tommy for the team

I had a tennis ladder match to play today. with all my travels haven't played this year.

so half way through I pull a muscle.

down in flames

#sigh
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Glad you like it Mahony, welcome back to the forums BTW. Yeah a few people have been caught out by the Garfield/Girl in a Bikini Avatar of Goodylad.  I think it's a personality test.  If you like cartoons and geeky stuff, you see Garfield.  If you are a perv, you see those pixel shapely shapes.
    Posted by TommyD
    I'm obviously geeky then cos I thought it was Garfield too until someone pointed it out to me ages ago. Like Mahony, now I look at it and I can't even see why I ever thought it was Garfield :s

Mind tricks...
  • edited April 2013
    Blown another one tonight.

One of the chip leaders in the Primo when the bubble bursts, go out a couple into the money.  Made a bad call with AQ v AK, followed by AQ<KQ and then TT<AT to bust.

Also pure bubbled the 9pm BHer.  AK<77

A couple of nights ago I had two FT bubbles.  Last night I blew a huge stack in the 9pm going for a spot I didn't need to take, and missing.

I've seriously forgotten how to close out MTTs.  Time to focus on MTT leaks again.
  • edited April 2013
    Great post Tommy! Keep going so long as you can get close enough to bring down the young wingers.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Thank you very much Jim.  These days I give myself a few yards start.  By a few I mean half the pitch.  ;)
  • edited April 2013
    Tommy as a former winger myself, i have 1 question What is your thoughts on the "break their leg" technique? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    You know Don, in over 20 years between school and Sunday league I cannot remember ever injuring someone.  I never try to do any major damage on someone, either as a Defensive Mid or as a Right Back, and have certainly never broken a leg.  I think everyone in football has a duty of care for their fellow players and while I've been on the receiving end of a couple of nasty ones, including a blatantly dangerous tackle which put me out of the game for a few months (but not out of the game, I stupidly played on and probably did much more harm than good), I've never given a nasty one.  I do admit though that I do put myself about a bit.  I mark you, you're probably going to get a few bruises.  Having lost a yard or two I now know where to run to slow someone down and yes, I do the odd body check when I have to.  Trust me, I get the same back.  I'm physical and strong but I don't take advantage.  Especially at Sunday League, people have work in the morning.

Had a lovely spot a couple of weeks ago.  I'm about to take a quick throw in and the guy who's run the ball off for them instantly shoulder barges me in the back as I'm about to take the throw in.  Fair enough I say, I'll play that game.  Five minutes later that same player goes for a give and go near me and I make a run and do my best impression of a brick wall from his blindside.  Got away with it but their skipper starts bleeting to the ref about an off the ball kick (I never kicked him) and calls me out on it.  I just said to him 'That's one all sunshine.'  And growled a little.

There's a bunch of tricks that refs fall for as well.  The best one I can remember was marking this big lump from a throw in down the line.  Big boy grabs hold of both of my wrists and pulls them around his ample gut.  And I get done for holding the guy.  Big boy claps the ref after as well.  Cheeky.
  • edited April 2013
    My updates are going to get progressively DTD Monte Carlo focussed this week.  Really looking forward to this one, and very important for me personally to represent myself and SkyPoker in the correct way.  In the middle of trying to sort out a little get together on the Thursday (hint hint to anyone who hasn't PMed me back yet)  ;)

Live poker, I always find that car crash moment.  Think of getting the word 'Composure' tattooed to the inside of my eyelids.  That's what I lose at those crucial moments.
  • edited April 2013
    My updates are going to get progressively DTD Monte Carlo focussed this week.  Really looking forward to this one, and very important for me personally to represent myself and SkyPoker in the correct way.  In the middle of trying to sort out a little get together on the Thursday (hint hint to anyone who hasn't PMed me back yet)  ;) Live poker, I always find that car crash moment.  Think of getting the word 'Composure' tattooed to the inside of my eyelids.  That's what I lose at those crucial moments.
    Posted by TommyD
    I'd definitely suggest you have your eyes open while playing live Tommy ;)
  • edited April 2013
    I blink don't I Lambo?  Meh, playing with my eyes closed might help right now.  It'll freak out the other people at the table as long as I either disguise myself as Derren Brown or wear a brown robe and bring a lightsaber.  Not a toy one, a real working lightsaber.  With all the leaps in technology I'm extremely disappointed that no one has invented one yet.
  • edited April 2013
    I blink don't I Lambo?  Meh, playing with my eyes closed might help right now.  It'll freak out the other people at the table as long as I either disguise myself as Derren Brown or wear a brown robe and bring a lightsaber.  Not a toy one, a real working lightsaber.  With all the leaps in technology I'm extremely disappointed that no one has invented one yet.
    Posted by TommyD
    Fair point. I think that could definitely be a good look for the Monte Carlo Tommy.

GL for the weekend
  • edited April 2013
    My updates are going to get progressively DTD Monte Carlo focussed this week.  Really looking forward to this one, and very important for me personally to represent myself and SkyPoker in the correct way.  In the middle of trying to sort out a little get together on the Thursday (hint hint to anyone who hasn't PMed me back yet)  ;) Live poker, I always find that car crash moment.  Think of getting the word 'Composure' tattooed to the inside of my eyelids.  That's what I lose at those crucial moments.
    Posted by TommyD
    This reminds me of Frank the Tank in Old School.

"We can't have anyone freak out out there ok! We have to keep our composure! We've gone too far, there's too much to lose, we have to keep our composure!"

I can imagine Tommy giving this as a pre tournament speech to the TSP members
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : This reminds me of Frank the Tank in Old School. "We can't have anyone freak out out there ok! We have to keep our composure! We've gone too far, there's too much to lose, we have to keep our composure!" I can imagine Tommy giving this as a pre tournament speech to the TSP members
    Posted by MattBates
    haha

If you want to see my pre match speech, go to youtube, search 'robert loggia necessary roughness' and look at Wally's pep talk.  Unless you are offended by rude words.
  • edited April 2013
    Blown another one tonight. One of the chip leaders in the Primo when the bubble bursts, go out a couple into the money.  Made a bad call with AQ v AK, followed by AQ<KQ and then TT<AT to bust. Also pure bubbled the 9pm BHer.  AK<77 A couple of nights ago I had two FT bubbles.  Last night I blew a huge stack in the 9pm going for a spot I didn't need to take, and missing. I've seriously forgotten how to close out MTTs.  Time to focus on MTT leaks again.
    Posted by TommyD

Going to try and respond to this post with the right intention and hope you can see where I am coming from. If not, use MOD button and delete it, like normal :)
    (Imagine we are chatting over a pint or two in a pub to set the scene).

We all know you are one of the best (prob only 2nd to Matt Bates) MTT players on the site and I am not questioning that at all, and I realise you are a 'winner' with a 'winning mentality'. However........I really do take issue with players who bemoan their luck when they only cash in tournaments but dont FT or win the whole thing. It may not mean much to you but please be grateful when you get a return on your money in tournaments. By the nature of them, you will not win them all (unless you play on Yoyo's account).

In a roundabout sort of way, I am also bemoaning my luck in this post when I get close to the money and dont even cash or do my normal bubble trick. To at least min cash in the Main Events/UKOPS is not to be sniffed at IMHO.

FWIW, I dont think you have too many leaks in your MTT game. 

Good luck this w/end.......keep Dylan fit by making him your goffer.

Cheers, Alan.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Alan

Here's it from my point of view.  I don't think I am bemoaning my luck and I didn't want it to come across that way.  In my opinion playing tournaments is all about winning them, or more precisely finishing as deep as you can in the ones you can.  This is completely my opinion and I respect and am open-minded about other people's views that cashing may be the main thing.  That's why I posted that stuff here and not criticising someone in another diary or thread for going for a cash or not.

The majority of MTTs you don't get that shot to final or win, it just doesn't work out that way.  What I am talking about is lately I have been in tournaments where I have had that real shot to win and I have screwed it up.  Not luck or variance or bad play by someone else, I'm squaring all of the blame on my shoulders.  And when I don't take advantage of the few MTTs where you get that run and that stack, then I view that as a personal failure.  Again this is no reflection on anyone else who goes out in similar situations, these are my opinions on myself and myself alone.

Yes I get a bit annoyed too when other players truly bemoan their luck or blame other players.  I can't tell you how many staking threads I've read in other places that start with 'really soft field' and end with 'this idiot isn't good enough to know what I was doing.'  I've always said the way to play poker was read, adjust, crush and repeat.  And to always respect everyone else in the game.  I never once said about respecting myself.

I'm making silly errors Alan.  Or pushing too hard in spots where the upside doesn't balance out the downside in the long term.  There are leaks and I see them.  These were not posts a la ex-Sky Regs to be unnamed who have a hot streak and then when it goes away they blame everything and everyone else.  This is me saying 'I've let things slide.'  I'm going to be playing the turbos tonight, if I bubble every one of them but don't think I've made a mistake I'll be happy about it.

Very good post Alan.  I'm very happy you made it and would like lots more posts like this from everyone.  Ironically the only bit of your post which offended me a little was the bit where you say I can Mod Delete it if I want.  Come on mate, you gotta know me by now.  When have I ever ducked a question or tried to keep it all smooth for myself?

May both of our upswings come soon and stay longer mate.
  • edited April 2013
    Alan, please do not give him any ideas as my response to him and others may offend :) 

Very honest outlook Tommy, think you may be a bit harsh on yourself at times when analysing your game, I am more than happy to be harsh in your place anytime you need. 

• edited April 2013

Ironically the only bit of your post which offended me a little was the bit where you say I can Mod Delete it if I want.  Come on mate, you gotta know me by now. 

Ironically, it was the only bit of my post with a smillie after it! 

Thanks for your'e, as ever, honest reply Tommy.

My upswing has started.....I made the Main Event* FT last night! I was gutted I didnt win it though and blame all the other players for not doing so......obv :):) 

*for Main Event, read DTD1
  • edited April 2013
    meanwhile I decided to follow TommyD on twitter last week

tweet has decided to share with me 5 names who it says are "similar" to Tommy Dyer (I assume leaving names in is ok as these are all in the public domain). So, Mr Maxally, you're not that far behind! (congrats on your FT last night by the way)

Ryan Spittles @RyanSpittles
    Alan Pinkstone @Maxally
    Phil Jenkins @phil12uk
    Peter Louchran @JockBMW
    Simon Allen @slykllist
  • edited April 2013
    Geldy, I normally follow people back but to be sure, have I?
  • edited April 2013
    Twitter thinks I am similar to Maxy?!?!?

Just

Shoot

me.
  • edited April 2013

Jealousy is bad trait to have.
  • edited April 2013
    Geldy, I normally follow people back but to be sure, have I?
    Posted by TommyD
    no, but that's the way I want it for now as I learn more about it. thanks anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : no, but that's the way I want it for now as I learn more about it. thanks anyway.
    Posted by GELDY
    I'm guessing you've got your tweets blocked then.  They are normally the ones I don't follow right away as I've never sure who they are.  I try to follow as few bots as posible.  Well when you are ready for a follower let me know.
  • edited April 2013

Bad day today, my Aunt died.  Technically she was my Great Aunt, but it's pretty much redundant to run families through a framework, to me she's my Auntie Agnes.

It was expected.  She was given hours to a day or two about a week ago.  In a typical Little Old Irish Lady fashion she outlasted that.  If you're ever doing a spread on anything Irish, always take the overs IMO.  She even rallied a couple of days ago, and that gives you that slice of hope you know.  The same thing happened with my Grandma when she passed a couple of years back.

Agnes was really there for both my Grandma and her own husband who died about a year ago, I mean went above and beyond what you'd think anyone half of her age would or even could do.  You know those little grey haired ladies who you see carrying a half dozen shopping bags down the street for their family, passing disgruntled teenagers refusing to carry one bag because their legs hurt?  Well that was her.  I'll never forget one time when I was trying to visit my Grandma in hospital.  There'd been some kind of assault in the place and they were only allowing one visitor per person and they had to be desegnated next of kin.  My Ma was already with my Nan and I couldn't get past the huge security guard they had on the desk.  Then I heard about what happened when Agnes got there to visit an hour or two later.  She fronted up to the behemoth twice her height, three times her size and a third of her age.  Talked him down until he had to listen to her and then talked him into checking his list again.  When his back was turned she just walked on through and kept on walking.  Not running or sneaking, just her own pace she would have walked had he not been there.  Her reasoning after was 'Well what can he do, pick me up and throw me out?'  She had more guts than most people.  After my Nan and then her husband died, I think then her body caught up with her.  It's one of those curious things in life, when you have something to do like that, especially for loved ones, your body somehow finds the strength to keep it going.  And so as the reason is gone, then everything just well stops.

BTW I don't need people to ask if I'm ok, I'm fine.  Like I said, it was expected.  Still garbage when it happens but that's how it goes.

• edited April 2013
    Sorry to hear mate, thoughts are with you and your family! 

Sounds like a wonderful woman and I am glad you have some great memories! 

RIP Aunt Agnes! 
  • edited April 2013
    On to TSP news.

Everyone has been invited to the Thursday night meet up, and I hear on the grapevine some others might be making an appearance which will be good.

So what's the over/under of me turning up in a similar condition as most SPT day ones?  Be kind with your lines people.
  • edited April 2013
    You do realise Julian has stiched us up with this pub mate? 

It is only one mile walk away so we can't get a taxi, we got to walk past a cannal or something and the pub is very english apparantly. 

The good news is though, the walk to the pub will benefit my weight loss, 
  • edited April 2013
    You do realise Julian has stiched us up with this pub mate?  It is only one mile walk away so we can't get a taxi, we got to walk past a cannal or something and the pub is very english apparantly.  The good news is though, the walk to the pub will benefit my weight loss, 
    Posted by dylan12
    I cant wait to see the picture of a drunk Tommy in the canal!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : I cant wait to see the picture of a drunk Tommy in the canal!
    Posted by MattBates
    If he gives me any lip on the walk over, you can have a picture of a sober Tommy in the canal as well if you want!