You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    So yesterday everyone got a lather over the headline 'Widow dies of a stroke.'

I'm not going to go into the Thatcher legacy here, just about a billion other places on the internet to do that if you are so inclined.  I managed to get a tweet from the friend I named the cat after (remember Ginger, pain in the backside) calling me utterly stupid for saying New Labour embraced elements of Thatcherisum in regards to the Financial sector in the city.  Of all the comments on the internet it was this one he decided to exclusively dig out.  He seems to have deleted the tweet a few minutes after sending it, I only knew through email notification.  I assume he either got sheepish or read up on my feed.  Or maybe it's a hang over to a few choice words I said to his face on the football field, for which I apologised for about twenty minutes later.  Meh, it got to me a bit at the time but I'm over it now.  I still think I made a valid point.

Anyway, I'd rather have a look at how the reaction to Thatcher's death reflects on us as a society.  The internet and particularly Twitter has shown the very best and the utter worst of us since the announcement.  Now everyone has a voice, everyone has a global forum.  The question no one really wants to ask is should they?  We have people spitting virtual feathers at each other, defending idiotic and one eyed standpoints with bile and hate.  On the other hand there is some decent legacy debate and reasoned discussion out there, all too quickly corrupted by the Trolls of lunacy.  I still think the communication tools of today are marvellous, and think that everyone having a voice is brilliant.  I just sort of wish that some people would realise that just because you can say something doesn't always mean you should.  And just because no one replies to you doesn't mean the world's against you.  The human brain really lacks a workable self editor in times like this.

Then again I'm a fine one to talk, I'm typing this in an online diary.

As for the Thatch, I've put this elsewhere but I'm going to put it here too.  If nothing else, the woman did what she thought was the right thing to do.  I completely disagree with a vast amount of what she did and her political stance.  However I much prefer someone coming to power to make the changes and improvements they see as right rather than have the primary objective to be 'Stay in Power,' look good in front of the cameras, not upset the powers that be and just recycle the status quo.  That's a charge I would level at every government since 1990, Tory, Labour and ConDem alike.
  • edited April 2013

The BEST (?) thing about the whole twitter explosion yesterday was when our USA cousins woke up to #thatcherisdead every where.

Some of them read it as that-Cher-is-dead. 

Which confirms the whole idea of the written word is very often taken out of context and read different than how it was actually written. I have become a victim of this many times, and I see it on this forum too. People (usually those who think they are more intelligent than others) have to belittle or put others down. There is probably a thin line from bullying to 'having banter'. I may of crossed it once or twice without knowing it, but there are others who thrive on it.

I am so glad I have a place to rant now I have retired my diary. :)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    The BEST (?) thing about the whole twitter explosion yesterday was when our USA cousins woke up to #thatcherisdead every where. Some of them read it as that-C her -is-dead.  Which confirms the whole idea of the written word is very often taken out of context and read different than how it was actually written. I have become a victim of this many times, and I see it on this forum too. People (usually those who think they are more intelligent than others) have to belittle or put others down. There is probably a thin line from bullying to 'having banter'. I may of crossed it once or twice without knowing it, but there are others who thrive on it. I am so glad I have a place to rant now I have retired my diary. :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    The Cher mistake did give me a chuckle or two.  As did Harry from One Direction tweeting RIP Baroness Thatcher and getting responses like 'Did you know him?' 'May he RIP' and 'RIP but who are you talking about?'  With how manufactured image is these days I assume it was a PR person who manages his Twitter and the young songster didn't know a thing about the Tweet.  Then again it might of been him, he does have a penchant for the older lady.

Too soon?
  • edited April 2013

Yeah, I saw that Harry stuff. Not sure it was genuine or not TBH.

Nothing wrong with the older lady BTW. As long as they are just about to pop off, you don't have to see them/live with them and they are leaving all their money to you. I have been a toy boy in my past.....I was 20/21 and she was 33. It lasted about a year before the 'age' thing ended it. The other difficulty was that she was my boss's ex and it made things slightly awkward.

I really should start a diary of my own :)
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, I saw that Harry stuff. Not sure it was genuine or not TBH. Nothing wrong with the older lady BTW. As long as they are just about to pop off, you don't have to see them/live with them and they are leaving all their money to you. I have been a toy boy in my past.....I was 20/21 and she was 33. It lasted about a year before the 'age' thing ended it. The other difficulty was that she was my boss's ex and it made things slightly awkward . I really should start a diary of my own :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    But being a vice of tommy's diary is more fun right ;) 
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, I saw that Harry stuff. Not sure it was genuine or not TBH. Nothing wrong with the older lady BTW. As long as they are just about to pop off, you don't have to see them/live with them and they are leaving all their money to you. I have been a toy boy in my past.....I was 20/21 and she was 33. It lasted about a year before the 'age' thing ended it. The other difficulty was that she was my boss's ex and it made things slightly awkward . I really should start a diary of my own :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I enjoyed your diary mate, as I do quite a few even if I don't post in them.

And I'm all for having a regular feature in this one being 'Maxy and the Women Who Loved Him.'  I imagine it will be steamier than the works of D.H. Lawrence and more poignant than the poems of Lord Byron.
  • edited April 2013

I would get forum banned for multi posting.
  • edited April 2013
    No update, I just love this picture :)  Our little lady and two lovely Bassett Hounds, Millie and Cully.  There was a lot of slobber everywhere this day.

• edited April 2013
    Music news, the GF kindly bought me the new Bowie LP.  I first put it on with a little apprehension.  While I didn't mind parts of the likes of Earthling and Heathen, the Hours album was a low point in my opinion.  Then again his back catalogue is littered with the occasional questionable piece.  'The Laughing Gnome' requires a few accessories ingested in order to realise its true majesty.  Or even like it.

So I put 'The Next Day' on.  Still undecided, but it's certainly better than Hours.  By all account Bowie has quit all touring and media interviews to just produce music.  This part is slightly worrying, Johnny Cash did the same thing at what turned out to be the end of his life.  Some of Cash's final stuff was among his best IMO, his version of a song I hold dear to my heart, Hurt, beggars belief when you listen to it.

Anyway, back to Bowie.  One of my favourite artists of all time, the album seems like it might be good if not hitting the heights of Heroes etc.  The artwork though is exceptionally subtle and clever.  Now if you've downloaded it you might have missed out a little, I won't go into what it is but to long time Bowie fans it's pure catnip.

And there is one perfect Bowie line in the first track.

'Here I am, not quite dying.'
  • edited April 2013
    Thatcher News:

So there's a social media campaign to get 'Ding Dng The Witch is Dead' to number one in the charts and it's going well.  Doesn't the fact that this involves people giving money to three corporations which are some of the biggest symbols of capitalism in the world give you an irony overload.  Sometimes the pure sheep mentality of humankind makes me cry.  The Baroness would be proud.

It's almost as stupid as the recent campaign to tell everyone to buy a record because of the lyric 'Fozzy you, I won't do what you tell me!'  I may have used a Muppet Show edit in my last line.

Never has Agent K from Men in Black been more right:  'A person is smart, people are dumb.'

BTW that's not a typo in my first musical line, the filter says no to the o.
  • edited April 2013
    Thatcher i swear you want me to end up in some horrible crude arguement with you tommy lol. Fwiw i agree we should never ever celebrate a death, whoever it is. 

Ive heard in places however of it being a partal state funeral - pretty reliable soarce of a politian. I would like your thoughts on the state paying for this funeral tommy. 
  • edited April 2013
    Thatcher i swear you want me to end up in some horrible crude arguement with you tommy lol. Fwiw i agree we should never ever celebrate a death, whoever it is.  Ive heard in places however of it being a partal state funeral - pretty reliable soarce of a politian. I would like your thoughts on the state paying for this funeral tommy. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Haha, doubt we'd get into an argument with each other Don.  My political stance is very much the opposite to Thatcherisum and as you are probably the most Scottish person I have met since a one armed Glaswegian tried to have a fight with me on a Virgin Train, I'm going to make the assumption you are of a similar political stance.

The state funeral bit is very tough, I haven't done any research so I have no idea what sort of funeral the likes of Wilson or Attlee had, or indeed any other Prime Minister.  I can't remember Heath having anything special.

Should the State pay for or towards the funeral?  Longest serving PM in modern times and a wartime serving PM?  Personally no, I don't want the State to pay for it but I think there is an argument for it to be State subsidised.  I'd disagree with it but I really cannot say a debate on it isn't merited and my opinion might well be wrong.

However you say you've been told the State are partially paying for it.  Are we talking of throwing in money for the casket and carriage or are we talking about the policing and cost of closing the roads?  I feel there are vital differences here as it would be idiotic not to have a police presence there but at the same time is it right for the family of Thatcher to be expected to pay for the employment of a vast array of security guards when they are just burying a family member?

As ever, I think everything has a certain point of view and nothing is simple.
  • edited April 2013
    Another 1980s Musical group reforms:

• edited April 2013
    I didnt ask how much would go towards the funeral and what for if im honest. Even then im not sure thats information my friend would be able to get ahold of. Your correct on my political stand point, having a really hard time which way to vote next year though if im honest. 

If the payment is for security then obviously i can accept that. My impression is this wasnt the case, i may however be wrong. 
  • edited April 2013
    Another 1980s Musical group reforms:
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy,
    Not commented on your diary before but it is a great read.
    Pepsi and Shirley eh.
  • edited April 2013
    Thatcher News: So there's a social media campaign to get 'Ding Dng The Witch is Dead' to number one in the charts and it's going well.  Doesn't the fact that this involves people giving money to three corporations which are some of the biggest symbols of capitalism in the world give you an irony overload.  Sometimes the pure sheep mentality of humankind makes me cry.  The Baroness would be proud. It's almost as stupid as the recent campaign to tell everyone to buy a record because of the lyric 'Fozzy you, I won't do what you tell me!'  I may have used a Muppet Show edit in my last line. Never has Agent K from Men in Black been more right:  'A person is smart, people are dumb.' BTW that's not a typo in my first musical line, the filter says no to the o.
    Posted by TommyD
    It's not surprising really thingslike this would crop up.

Afterall, she did some shocking things to this country, i wasnt even born when she came to power but i've never met anyone that had a good word to say about her. What she did to the miners and mining communities was criminal. I was speaking to a miner once who was telling me they had to rely on charity for a year just to survive during the strikes! Tight communities were blighted and split by her uncompromising stance. Unlike the guy who relied on charity to feed his family during the strike those who actually broke the strikes to feed their families were, and are still, "scabs" in their home towns. It would seem she had no compassion or empathy
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Tommy, Not commented on your diary before but it is a great read. Pepsi and Shirley eh.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    Hey Joe

Welcome.  You have no idea how long it took the GF to get that picture.  Puppies and sitting still do not mix, we've just lucky she didn't burst that can.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : It's not surprising really thingslike this would crop up. Afterall, she did some shocking things to this country, i wasnt even born when she came to power but i've never met anyone that had a good word to say about her. What she did to the miners and mining communities was criminal. I was speaking to a miner once who was telling me they had to rely on charity for a year just to survive during the strikes! Tight communities were blighted and split by her uncompromising stance. Unlike the guy who relied on charity to feed his family during the strike those who actually broke the strikes to feed their families were, and are still, "scabs" in their home towns. It would seem she had no compassion or empathy
    Posted by LARSON7
    Hey Larson, as I said before I'm pretty much avoiding getting into that whole debate here, there are a heap of places online to do that right now.  But yeah, I was not a big fan.

I still think that campaign to get that song to number one is utter stupidity and not a political protest.  However if it gets there, the Beeb should still play it.  Rules is rules.
  • edited April 2013
    You checked your PM's? 
  • edited April 2013
    You checked your PM's? 
    Posted by dylan12
    Yes I have, check your PMs in about 2 hours (as this is me I would read that as 4 hours).
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Yes I have, check your PMs in about 2 hours (as this is me I would read that as 4 hours).
    Posted by TommyD
    4 hours would be an improvement! 

Just wanted to make sure you got it 
  • edited April 2013
    Dylan, STOP THE CLOCK!  Got it in under 2 hours, quite pleased with that.

In other news I've just bought in direct for Dublin, only ever bought in the full whack for one SPT before when I left qualifying too late.  I'm still going to try to sat in anyway but had to get my marker down as I've already shelled out on flights and hotel.  So if you see me in those sats and see I already have a seat, please don't accuse me of trying to play the sats for money and stealing seats from other people, it's not been a cheap get yet.
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    Dylan, STOP THE CLOCK!  Got it in under 2 hours, quite pleased with that. In other news I've just bought in direct for Dublin, only ever bought in the full whack for one SPT before when I left qualifying too late.  I'm still going to try to sat in anyway but had to get my marker down as I've already shelled out on flights and hotel.  So if you see me in those sats and see I already have a seat, please don't accuse me of trying to play the sats for money and stealing seats from other people, it's not been a cheap get yet.
    Posted by TommyD
    tommy ive grinded sats before - not SPTs but other events, and i know a major uk tour does promotions specific for sat grinders. i have a few friends who all compete for this and i think on average win 7+ seats per event. 

no one complains infact most are respected.

so i question why you think grinding an spt sat would be bad - i respect this is a community tour btw. 
  • edited April 2013
    Some of Cash's final stuff was among his best IMO, his version of a song I hold dear to my heart, Hurt, beggars belief when you listen to it.
    Posted by TommyD

+1 tommy, +1

that song is the perfect antidote to today's z-list culture. gets you back to reality pdq.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : tommy ive grinded sats before - not SPTs but other events, and i know a major uk tour does promotions specific for sat grinders. i have a few friends who all compete for this and i think on average win 7+ seats per event.  no one complains infact most are respected. so i question why you think grinding an spt sat would be bad - i respect this is a community tour btw. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I never said it was bad Don, I have no problem with it.  But it seems there are a few people on the forum who thinks it is bad, I'm just trying to head off any posts if I do sat in asking me why I'm taking seats away from other members.  Yes a few people view it that way.  I don't, I think Sat grinding is a perfectly acceptable way to make some coin.  However I also think that everything in addition to the first seat should be tournament tokens.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : +1 tommy, +1 that song is the perfect antidote to today's z-list culture. gets you back to reality pdq.
    Posted by GELDY
    For sure.

The funny thing is I stumbled on the Cash version.  Had I heard about it before time I'd be saying 'You can't cover that song.' and maybe wouldn't have given it a try.  Funny how things can work out.
  • edited April 2013
    *Applauds*
    Posted by dylan12
    Ahem, I believe on Sky we use the term *Thunderous Applause*
  • edited April 2013
    Loving this thread. Obv not read it all, but fwiw, for years, I also thought goodylads avatar was Garfield. Up until I read this yesterday. Now when I look at it I can't even make Garfield out. If I squint a bit and make my eyes blurred, I do see an orange Spider-Man staring back at me tho....... GL
  • edited April 2013
    Loving this thread. Obv not read it all, but fwiw, for years, I also thought goodylads avatar was Garfield. Up until I read this yesterday. Now when I look at it I can't even make Garfield out. If I squint a bit and make my eyes blurred, I do see an orange Spider-Man staring back at me tho....... GL
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Glad you like it Mahony, welcome back to the forums BTW.

Yeah a few people have been caught out by the Garfield/Girl in a Bikini Avatar of Goodylad.  I think it's a personality test.  If you like cartoons and geeky stuff, you see Garfield.  If you are a perv, you see those pixel shapely shapes.