You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Very strong opinions against the death penalty but I believe there should be hard pointless labour ie; start hitting a very big rock with a hammer until its small bits and then start again. No tv, no recreation, no central heating and the food should keep you alive. Also think we should have the birch for petty crime for youngsters and not ruin their life's with a criminal record. Get caught first time and they show the video of a 6'8" man thrashing someone with a stick across the back. Are they coming back for more? MP's fiddling expenses get thrashed and prison lol
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary.:
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : That is pretty bad saying he would show then mucking his cards! I'm surprised noone pulled him up over it, there is no need for that type of thing at poker. The reason i enjoy poker so much, is that for the most part while it is competetive there is also a great deal of banter and fun to be had, especially live. In all the time i've played poker I can't say i've came across that many people that would act in that way. In my opinion they are a small minority. ----------------------------------- Well done on getting on to team Skypoker! You have had some great results in cash and MTT's. I was just wondering at what type of level did you start playing at? Was it the lower levels and you just worked your way up? Or did you start with a reasonable amount and just build it up from there? I just play low stakes but i'm going to try and see if over the next while i can build this up and maybe move up the levels.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks Sir, can't wait for DTD and TSP to start, gonna be a lot of fun.

I started playing 5cent/10cent cash elsewhere and $5.50 SnGs.  Back then the SnG player pool was a lot bigger and the game wasn't solved to the degree it is now, plus Huds weren't so popular.  On SkyPoker I started by playing the main TV events, down to my TV Tartness, fiver DYMs and 20nl.  To summarise for you I was up and down for a while, blackjack used to be a huge leak but I closed that one, went back to school and had to spend a lot of my initially spun roll elsewhere, went on a down swing here about about 3 years ago which left me with around £60 in my roll, I swore I was never going to deposit again and spun that £60 into what I play with now.

It's been a fun ride.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Thanks Sir, can't wait for DTD and TSP to start, gonna be a lot of fun. I started playing 5cent/10cent cash elsewhere and $5.50 SnGs.  Back then the SnG player pool was a lot bigger and the game wasn't solved to the degree it is now, plus Huds weren't so popular.  On SkyPoker I started by playing the main TV events, down to my TV Tartness, fiver DYMs and 20nl.  To summarise for you I was up and down for a while, blackjack used to be a huge leak but I closed that one, went back to school and had to spend a lot of my initially spun roll elsewhere, went on a down swing here about about 3 years ago which left me with around £60 in my roll, I swore I was never going to deposit again and spun that £60 into what I play with now. It's been a fun ride.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy. How did you start to do this? What games, buyins etc...?

Awesome to see how far you have come from £60 btw
  • edited April 2013
    Tommy, you raise an interesting moral dilemma. Are you saying that if you are the defence team that you would try to push for the minimum possible sentence regardless of your views and if you are the prosecution you would try to push for the maximum possible sentence regardless of your views? If so... are lawyers just robots without feelings who are programmed into a set way of thinking to achieve the "best" outcome for their client? This is an extremely emotive case and there are many emotive cases all over the world. Brevik in Norway springs to mind (where there is no death penalty and no life term (21 years is the max!) I think this is where our humanity is tested. Lawyers must all have deep emotions and personal views and I guess the best lawyers are able to separate these from their job, whilst being under intense pressure and scrutiny from all sides. We often wonder why they are paid redic sums of money... well I kinda understand it, when it is put like this.  So my view is that the lawyer has the duty to their client first and foremost and therefore if they feel emotionally incapable of taking on such a traumatic and emotive case, they should decline it. In this case therefore, lawyer TommyD would have to do all he could to get the death penalty for the mass murderer despite being strongly against this personally.   Could he handle it? :) 
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yes because the whole point of the advocate system is that both parties argue their side to the very best of their ability and it's up to the judge and/or jury of peers to decide on before the level of guilt and the appropriate sentence if needed.  The prosecutor isn't the one who decides the person deserves to die and the defense isn't the ones who set killers free.  I've got an interesting history with the law (Law degree sadly not used but that's another matter and somewhat of a regret of mine, I'll go into that another time; I used to work at the CPS as a caseworker and wondered how anyone is ever put into jail; and I had a temporary job for a few months at a charity who helped offenders find jobs and housing when they left jail, mainly first time offenders and women).  It still fascinates me.  The OJ trial was on during my A-Levels, I must of watched 80% or so of it, it was shown live on CNN constantly.  I remember D the Elder saying to me if he doesn't take the stand then he did it.  Of course he never went up there yet after watching much of the coverage I still thought he should be found not guilty and yes I know I'm in the vast minority with that one.

The real problem with the system there was that after the not guilty verdict, the police basically declared the case closed.  They'd already decided he did it, I wanted them to open it up again.

D the Elder's saying was sort of proven wrong on his saying much later, about 18 months ago I was given jury service and to my mind the prosecution's case was pretty weak, the barrister was just awful.  I was starting to think he got the job on a typo and he'd original applied as a barista at Costa's.  In my mind there was just about a case to answer but any plausible defence would put enough doubt in my mind to return a not guilty view.  The defence only had one witness, the defendant.  My word, it was like he wanted to go to jail, the story got twisted up and contradicted several times before even the bumbling prosecutor got a chance to have a go.  We eventually returned a guilty verdict, I was the last one to go for it purely because I was weighing up in my mind if the prosecutor had done enough before even thinking about the defence case.  We found out after that a second party in the event had already pleaded guilty and then heard our guy's previous and pending cases.  Let's just say it made me even more sure we made the right call.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Hi Tommy. How did you start to do this? What games, buyins etc...? Awesome to see how far you have come from £60 btw
    Posted by waller02
    Remember I spun down to there as well.

I wrote about this waaaaaay back in the diary, but after a slap in the face I decided to put it on two £22 DYMs and go from there.  I got a small streak going then went to very low cash and low level MTTs.  I managed to win the old Take on Tikay £11 MTT a couple of weeks in to give me a roll in the hundreds, set myself and target and treat, made the target meaning I'd let myself enter the Primo once, finished 4th and from there I had a 4 figure roll.  At this point I practiced quite rigid BRM and that's allowed me to spin it to a decent chunk over the next two or three years up until this point.
  • edited April 2013
    Very strong opinions against the death penalty but I believe there should be hard pointless labour ie; start hitting a very big rock with a hammer until its small bits and then start again. No tv, no recreation, no central heating and the food should keep you alive. Also think we should have the birch for petty crime for youngsters and not ruin their life's with a criminal record. Get caught first time and they show the video of a 6'8" man thrashing someone with a stick across the back. Are they coming back for more? MP's fiddling expenses get thrashed and prison lol
    Posted by wartic
    Actually agree with the labour part but not the pointless bit.  You ever seen Cool Hand Luke where they tarmac the road?  I like that as an idea but there are probably health and safety/human rights issues with it.  Came up with an idea once that low level crime prisoners would get some time off if they donated blood, I think it was when those adverts were everywhere about how low blood stocks are (I have given blood in the past).  I'm not sure if that makes me sound like a vampire or not, I was just thinking 'there's a shortage and an incentive.'

I disagree with corporal punishment personally but much more willing to have a debate and a consider on this rather than capital punishment.

Totally agree the clear class divide in who gets pulled and who doesn't needs to be addressed but I'm not going to start on the MP expenses thing, my keypad would probably wear out.

Before anyone thinks I'm a sissy for being against the death penalty, for the very worst in our society I have zero problem with putting them in a deep hole in the ground and have no comforts save basic food and a small hole in the side for nature.
  • edited April 2013

New puppy news.

So I bought the GF a puppy.  She's been wanting one for years and I held off to the point I was sure she was ready and wouldn't change her mind after five minutes.  As far as I am concerned a dog is for life.

It's been an interesting start to Shirley's life with us, mostly good, sometimes poop (literally).  I will get to these eventually but right now I have a problem.  We've got a puppy sleeping crate and tonight is her first night in it.  The GF is in bed while I play poker in the office.  Shirley has been crying now for 30 minutes.  There was a five minute lull where I thought she'd finally gone to sleep but the crying has started again.  I have to be strong and leave her in there but I can just feel myself cracking.  Darn dogs, they get right into your heart.

• edited April 2013
    Loverly, now got Grant the cat meowing outside trying to get in.  They've been introduced.  Shirley wants to play, Grant wants to hiss and run away.  We stopped feeding Grant over a week ago (at least I did).  I know it's our own fault but after the night he turned up smelling like chip fat we know he either has an owner or somewhere else to visits on a regular basis.  Before I tried to cut ties with him he'd show up, get fed, walk around like he owned the place and then disappear for a couple of days.  Since I pied him he's been showing up every night and stays around the garden.

And Shirley is still crying in the crate.  I'm in furball turmoil here.
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    Man up Tommy!
    Posted by MattBates
    But they're so cute and small and they look up at me with their big round eyes and that look of naive innocence.

It's just like the first time I met you.
  • edited April 2013
    I love this diary. That is all.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : But they're so cute and small and they look up at me with their big round eyes and that look of naive innocence. It's just like the first time I met you.
    Posted by TommyD
    Come on then, what time did you wimp out?
  • edited April 2013
    What a cute puppy! 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : Come on then, what time did you wimp out?
    Posted by MattBates
    Didn't crack.  The little lady was crying and rocking the crate until about half one in the morning and then eventually bed down.  The crate wasn't a pretty sight inside though in the morning, poopy wonderland.  I have to go through with this as the puppy will sometimes be left alone in the future around the house and they need to get used to being alone, especially at night.  Like all puppies right now she wants to sleep in the big comfy bed with the people who feed her.

As for Grant, he wandered around the garden again all night.  He's not happy.  But he's not my cat so I don't feel too bad about it, he'll be alright.
  • edited April 2013
    What kind of monster would pick a dog over a cat?

;)

ish
  • edited April 2013
    I feel sorry for Grant, i feel i cost him tuna. 

Oh a serious note, welcome to the new member of the family. 
  • edited April 2013
    GL with the new family member Tommy, did you get 'talked into it'?... Somehow recently Emma has cajoled me into getting 2 kittens. They're only 6 weeks old atm, so we gotta wait another couple of weeks before we can pick them up.

Btw, I had no idea your BR had went so low such a (relatively) short time ago. Your story has definitely re-inspired (I don't think that's even a word but I'm going with it) me to keep at it with my aims for my poker game/diary.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Tommy

Not sure if this questions already been asked (i read 1st 3 pages and got impatient (just like my play))

How do you keep your mind focussed on the day job?

I have a responsible job but still find myself thinking about last nights play too much, or looking forward to the night ahead. And this is at low level stakes.

Obviously trying to stay focussed at teaching must be difficult when you know your a couple of clicks away from a few grand everynight.

Great diary BTW

Thanks Karim / 1281
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Tommy Not sure if this questions already been asked (i read 1st 3 pages and got impatient (just like my play)) How do you keep your mind focussed on the day job? I have a responsible job but still find myself thinking about last nights play too much, or looking forward to the night ahead. And this is at low level stakes. Obviously trying to stay focussed at teaching must be difficult when you know your a couple of clicks away from a few grand everynight. Great diary BTW Thanks Karim / 1281
    Posted by 1281
    +1 im interested.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Tommy Not sure if this questions already been asked (i read 1st 3 pages and got impatient (just like my play)) How do you keep your mind focussed on the day job? I have a responsible job but still find myself thinking about last nights play too much, or looking forward to the night ahead. And this is at low level stakes. Obviously trying to stay focussed at teaching must be difficult when you know your a couple of clicks away from a few grand everynight. Great diary BTW Thanks Karim / 1281
    Posted by 1281
    Hey Karim

This is probably the question I get asked the most but these days I have to answer it in two parts.

1)  I am currently on a career break so not an active teacher.  This was not a choice to 'go pro' or anything, I decided to do other things with my life.  I have a few irons in the fire which, touch wood, will happen over the summer (they are nothing to do with poker).  Sorry to be coy about it but I want to keep things in process on the down-low until they happen, I really don't want to jinx stuff.

2)  Relating to when I was teaching, luckily it was one of those jobs which pretty much grabs you by the globes as soon as you walked through the gates.  I didn't have time to ponder last night's play or HHs, it was full on.  Going back many years prior to teaching I had an office job and yes, the the distraction was stronger.  Sat in front of a PC I more than once created a BRM spreadsheet for myself rather than do whatever unimportant task was on my desk that day.  It's just something to manage and overcome with experience.  The late nights grinding away were never too much of a problem for me, in some twist of nature I can function on very little sleep.  It's not a limitless supply of going nights on zero to 3 hours sleep, after a fortnight or so I need to do a catch up and I normally have a long weekend lie in.

Not today though, I'm off to Sunday League.  Three games to avoid the drop for the mighty Giants.  This one's gonna sting a little.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Tommy, how did the football go, what position do u play?

When you were planning those BRM spreadsheets, in your office job, what strategy did you come up with when u were trying to grow your BR?

All the best for your future plans, Derek.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Tommy, how did the football go, what position do u play? When you were planning those BRM spreadsheets, in your office job, what strategy did you come up with when u were trying to grow your BR? All the best for your future plans, Derek.
    Posted by DEL560
    It went bad.  We lost 3-1.  So sigh, we had a hat full of chances and only took one, they get a pretty soft pen, a deflected long range shot and a ball which was literally going sideways until it bounced at an angle in the goal mouth and found its way in.  We're pretty much relegated now.  We've never been good, until this season we spent every year in the bottom league.  We actually played really well last year and got up, the problem is half of the team decided to retire on a high and we've been rebuilding ever since.

These days I play Right back.  When I was young and had a decent engine I was a defensive midfielder.  I just don't have the legs for that any more.

As for growing BR, not too much strategy other than have plenty of bullets.  When you try to grow it, really scour the tables and find that value.  It's still out there, just harder to find these days.  Also do constant hand reviews, really polish your game and plug those leagues.  I can't emphasise enough how much this helps.
  • edited April 2013
    Had another long grind with little return, about break even on the MTTs today.  Completely whacked from football and mentally tired after a long week.  I'm feeling really irritable.  I'm reading several forums and pretty much everyone is getting on my nerves.  I see really anti SkyPoker people moaning and I'm getting irritated.  I'm seeing really pro SkyPoker being snippy and I'm getting irritated.  Everywhere I look it feels like perfectly reasonable people are acting like idiots over things that don't matter when you take a step back.  I think to myself if everyone could put as much energy into things that actually matter instead of being shrug shoulders apathetic as they do for things that don't, maybe everyone would be a bit happier.

So I'm calling it a night before I just go off on some one.  I'm getting that tetchy that a nice dark room and a bit of the original Resident Evil game downloaded is the plan for the night.  It's still a great game, the graphics are completely aged and the control system is really awkward, but it still sucks you into that jumpy atmosphere better than most of the new stuff out there.

Then again even the intro video on that is annoying me.  It's meant to be a directors cut but they've cut the scene where Chris does that crime of crimes and has a cigarette.  They've replaced this with him shooting a lot of big guns.  And it's an 18 game for crying out loud.

Sigh, like I say, feeling tetchy.  Man I've just reread this post before posting, darn I sound like a moaning murtle.  Good luck at the tables all.
  • edited April 2013
    Just to make you feel better I got back to winning ways and won my tournament again!

Any more exciting dog related news?
  • edited April 2013
    Old games tommy and you have a point. 

I've discussed this with many hardcore gamers, and i've spent time on a few developer forums. It would appear that these old games are easier to get into because of the feel of the enviroment. Expessially older horror type games. Appareneltly this was never meant to be the case but because of the "graphical limitations" the enviroment feels different to how it was meant to, but this adds to the gamers experiance. Not sure how this works but i have it from several sorces. 

Hope you feel better today. - Matts already bragging on your thread that has to put a smile to everyones face
  • edited April 2013
    Just to make you feel better I got back to winning ways and won my tournament again! Any more exciting dog related news?
    Posted by MattBates
    Congrats mate, standard obviously.

No more exciting dog related things, since the in laws have left it's been pretty quiet.  We're settling Shirley in nicely.  Although the GF now wants me to go out tomorrow and buy a bottle of Pepsi for a photo op with the Hound.

A very defined number of you will get that reference.
  • edited April 2013
    Old games tommy and you have a point.  I've discussed this with many hardcore gamers, and i've spent time on a few developer forums. It would appear that these old games are easier to get into because of the feel of the enviroment. Expessially older horror type games. Appareneltly this was never meant to be the case but because of the "graphical limitations" the enviroment feels different to how it was meant to, but this adds to the gamers experiance. Not sure how this works but i have it from several sorces.  Hope you feel better today. - Matts already bragging on your thread that has to put a smile to everyones face
    Posted by The_Don90
    Especially with the horror genre, I think too many game developers are trying to create movies rather than games.  That's one of the major criticisms I hear about the latest Resident Evil game (it's on the shelf unplayed, I planning to clock the whole series in order, just for the memories).  Instead of being involved in a game it can turn into 'press X for next cut scene' etc.  In the horror genre, Resi and Silent Hill really set out the bench mark in gaming.  And like I say, while the Directors Cut of RE touched the graphics a little, it's still no where near modern standards.  However the harsh fixed camera angles (which give you so many times where you can hear a Hunter but can't see it, therefore wet yourself a little when your health is in danger), sublime background music and the pure gameplay fact that as at least one of the characters you never have enough ammo to go around just had you right on your nerves.  Resi 5 just turned into a First Person Shooter really with elements of 'I'm playing a movie' and now I hear 6 is worse.  Resi 4 for me is probably the best in the series all things considered, control system and graphics very good while the gameplay was just like the original.

Anyway, kind of went off your original point mate.  The main problem is a lot of developers are trying to make movies and not games.  Then again this is found in a lot of places.  I watch Crimewatch, I swear most of those reconstructions are directed by sore Art College graduates who think Harvey Weinstein might be watching and this is their big break.
  • edited April 2013
    Poker news.  Cash, going well.  Back on the DYMs for this month, going well.

MTTs, today was one of those days to just shrug your shoulders and move on.  Ran KK into AA four times for stacks, bricked the lot.  Got AA in against KK once for stacks, lost.  Many other spots as well.

I'm normally the first to have a pop at my own play but today, well, whatcha gonna do?  Chalk it off, dust myself down and we go again tomorrow.
  • edited April 2013
    Poker news.  Cash, going well.  Back on the DYMs for this month, going well. MTTs, today was one of those days to just shrug your shoulders and move on.  Ran KK into AA four times for stacks, bricked the lot.  Got AA in against KK once for stacks, lost.  Many other spots as well. I'm normally the first to have a pop at my own play but today, well, whatcha gonna do?  Chalk it off, dust myself down and we go again tomorrow.
    Posted by TommyD
    AA v KK wins about 80% of the time mate so AA v KK happened 5 times and won 4 times so as a former maths teacher you should be happy with the maths behind that one!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Many Rivers To Cross. A Diary. : AA v KK wins about 80% of the time mate so AA v KK happened 5 times and won 4 times so as a former maths teacher you should be happy with the maths behind that one!
    Posted by MattBates
    Yes Matt, when that King flopped what I said was 'Good, that's mathematically accurate.'  Obviously.  I just said it loudly and added some flair to the sentence.