You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Who wins all these main tournaments?:
    In Response to Who wins all these main tournaments? : Morning MrCool. You list questions 1, 2 & 3, but actually ask 5 questions, so I'll reply accordingly. 1) No, not at all. 2) Same reply. You won tourneys elsewhere, so you presumably have the ability to win games, but not the ability to beat variance. Nobody can beat variance, it is the ultimate power. It's female, too, so don't argue with it.   3) No. Sky Poker do not have bots, & do not "scam" their Clients. Why would they? The business is successful, profitable, growing rapidly, & has a great future. It would make no sense to mess about with such a prime & valuable asset. 4) People discuss bluffing techniques a lot simply because it is part & parcel of poker. In my opinion, too many players bluff far too much these days, hence they lose too much money, but I'm old & out of fashion in my poker thinking. However, I have never lost money playing poker. Being a nit with a good understanding of basics, plus good discipline, means you never go skint.  5) I'm afraid you have got that one rather mixed up. Apart from anything else the number of new players who sign up to Sky Poker every week far exceeds 300 (by a multiple), but there is not a direct correlation between that, & the number of players Online at specific times of the day, it does not really work like that.  Hope that answers your questions, & I hope you soon win a Tournament on Sky Poker.
    Posted by Tikay10
    IMO the new customers registration should have almost nothing to do with the players that use the site and play regularly. Personally, I have accounts with almost every poker site that exists but I hardly ever use most of them. A new player will create an account and maybe never play on the site or to use for instance the new player's freeroll and then he/she is gone.

Websites use unique visits in order to track how many views the have each day. I think this is what Sky should also do(or somethign relevant).

PS: Because some people are evil I am just stating an opinion here. I am not arguing or having a rant.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : I have been thinking about the answer to that for days Mr Nutter, & I still don't know! I'm not really sure that any technology "annoys" me in truth. If something annoys me, I don't use it, it's that simple. Live & let live & all that. One "technology" issue that DOES bother me, though it makes me wonder "why" rather than annoy me, is the things that are designed, developed & sold. There are some fantastic things around now, all designed to make our life better, & easier. i-Pads (I adore those), Laptops, remote controls for the TV, & car, mobile phones, smartphones, microwaves, washing machines, CERN, aeroplanes, da de da. Everything we could possibly wish for.  And yet......40% of the children in India are malnourished, it has been that way for ever, & it still is. And nobody does a thing about it. You'd think those wonderful minds that develop all these devices could put their minds to that & solve it, would you not? PS - How is your health now? It is not that long ago that your life was, genuinely, hanging in the balance. Hope you are continuing to return to normality.      
    Posted by Tikay10
     Hi Tikay,
                Nice reply, but there must be some modern technology that annoys you? Me Julee say's her touchscreen phone annoys her most.
     Personally, it's the fish counter that lets salmon pass up the weir without anyone knowing except the fisheries board. They give the information to certain favoured fishermen that suddenly turn up above the weir and catch a whopper!
     India and the starving nations is obviously a massive debate. It seems the availability of fresh water is the issue that modern technology and humanity has failed to apply itself to. We can pipe oil across vast continents!-- Modern technology can wander around on Mars looking for water, but if we google "global water shortage solution", we will find a website called G.W.S.S selling a waterless car cleaning system on a pyramid scheme as the solution to the whole planets water availability problems!--- That is modern technology
    innit!--- Have a quick look at the website--- unbelievable!

I can't complain on the health front (thanks for asking), because I'm still here!-lol-- Normality is relative.

Although, sometimes I forget why I'm confused, then I remember, it's because I get confused when I forget.

• edited August 2012
    another great nite site just gets better and better monster hands fantastic cards pots of money won lol site is unreal paid dearly for withdrawel i made 3 months ago never won since
  • edited August 2012
    The Ofordable Deepstack gets quite a few runners on a Friday night and i think a late registration would boost the runners and make it it a bigger prize pool. Any chance of the late reg for this tournament??
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay

Was just wondering if you,ve heard anymore news on the resizing of tables? Not heard it mentioned for a while

Thx
    MP
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay Was just wondering if you,ve heard anymore news on the resizing of tables? Not heard it mentioned for a while Thx MP
    Posted by MP33
    Massive +1 for this.

James and TK have made a small (I don't know how to call it) update that you may have seen between some shows where they talk about the new things coming on Skypoker.

I believe it was filmed before Late registration was introduced to the site(at they say that is coming soon) and the last thing they chat about is resizeable tables, so I believe it's the next big thing in the site after the introduction of synchronised breaks and late registration. It's coming very very soon.
  • edited August 2012

as that promotion finished for if you get a royal flush???

• edited August 2012
    According to the thread 4 below this one, yes.
  • edited August 2012
    The Ofordable Deepstack gets quite a few runners on a Friday night and i think a late registration would boost the runners and make it it a bigger prize pool. Any chance of the late reg for this tournament??
    Posted by nffc4eva
    I see Sky Sam has replied to your post in the tournament section.  Looks promising:))
  • edited August 2012

Hi Tikay

I was wondering about the Royal Flush comp.  Is it on at the moment?

There's a post in the thread that seems to say it will be up and running this week, but the thread is locked.

Anyway, if it is running, then

Hand History #554607482 (04:16 20/08/2012)
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay I was wondering about the Royal Flush comp.  Is it on at the moment? There's a post in the thread that seems to say it will be up and running this week, but the thread is locked. Anyway, if it is running, then Hand History #554607482 (04:16 20/08/2012)
    Posted by Padzz77
    Morning Padzz,

No, I'm sorry, it is not currently running.

I cannot access the Hand History you quoted - I cannot access ANY Hand Histories that players send me - but I assumre you hit a Royal Flush? If so, I hope you got nicely paid, & you enjoyed the moment - in Texas Hold 'Em, they don't come along very often! Oddly, I play a fair bit of Omaha, 4, 5 & 6 card, & they are quite common in that game.

What a lovely game poker is, eh?!
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by nffc4eva
    Hi Forest Man.

As has been said by someone else, yes, it will be looked at.

I want to emphasise that ALL Tourneys are being reviewed as to whether Late Reg is applicable or not, nothing is cast in stone, & that review will be ongoing, & continious, for ever.

It is a fairly new thing here, & we are now nearing the time of year when Online Poker starts to get busy again, so all Tourneys will be continually reviewed as to Buy-In Levels, structures, Late Reg, etc.

Late Reg has a Marmite Factor - players either love it, or hate it, some still don't fully understand it, so the changes will continue, trying to find the right balance that suits most players, most of the time.

PS - Good start on Saturday, v Bristol City, yes? Good luck tonight, up at Huddersfield. Start the season with 2 wins, & you get momentum, & impetus, & you never know what might happen then..... 
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay Was just wondering if you,ve heard anymore news on the resizing of tables? Not heard it mentioned for a while Thx MP
    Posted by MP33
    Hi,

Yup, coming along nicely. We will not be giving dates though, I learned that lesson the hard way!

Hope to see you at the SPT Grand Final next month.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Morning Padzz, No, I'm sorry, it is not currently running. I cannot access the Hand History you quoted - I cannot access ANY Hand Histories that players send me - but I assumre you hit a Royal Flush? If so, I hope you got nicely paid, & you enjoyed the moment - in Texas Hold 'Em, they don't come along very often! Oddly, I play a fair bit of Omaha, 4, 5 & 6 card, & they are quite common in that game. What a lovely game poker is, eh?!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks, Tikay

The hand itself didnt pay much (6BB).  But it helped me to second place in the timed tournament, and a decent ROI.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Who wins all these main tournaments? : IMO the new customers registration should have almost nothing to do with the players that use the site and play regularly. Personally, I have accounts with almost every poker site that exists but I hardly ever use most of them. A new player will create an account and maybe never play on the site or to use for instance the new player's freeroll and then he/she is gone. Websites use unique visits in order to track how many views the have each day. I think this is what Sky should also do(or somethign relevant). PS: Because some people are evil I am just stating an opinion here. I am not arguing or having a rant.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Morning George.

Why ever would you think that Sky Poker do not already do that?!

You say "not having a rant", & yes, I agree - it is a fair question, but one that surprises, to be honest. I don't mind any or all questions of that nature, because poker players often do not realise how an Online Poker Site works. Personally, the more these things are explained, the better, imo, though of course a line has to be drawn with commercially sensitive stuff. 

So, unique visits. It's a prime measuring device, they know exactly how many players are on the Site, seated, at any given moment, every single day. There are Daily, Weekly, & Monthly reports, & the very first line on every one of them is "Uniques". ("Uniques" are the number of DIFFERENT players - thus "Uniques" on the site, in a given period - Day, Week, Month etc). 

Uniques are  are also measured by buy-in level (high, medium, low), format (cash, Tourneys, SNG), on a daily, weekly, & monthly basis.

These reports are key to the business, & the Daily Report comes through at smack on 9am every day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. For each of the SB&G Family, "Uniques" are the very first line on the report.

Once the Uniques are known, it is the starting point for almost all analytics.

How is the Omaha coming along? I am seriously tempted to drive up to Coventry tomorrow (Wednesday) to play the GUKPT £250 Omaha Tourney. Live Omaha Tourneys are so rare in the UK, it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity. I am certain it would be a wise use of £250......

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Thanks, Tikay The hand itself didnt pay much (6BB).  But it helped me to second place in the timed tournament, and a decent ROI.
    Posted by Padzz77
    Excellent!

Memories like that are what poker is about.

It's a very odd thing, but I've had a few bad times at the poker table, but my memory seems to erase them, though to be fair, it erases a lot of stuff these days.....

Good memories seem to stay forever though.  
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? :  Hi Tikay,             Nice reply, but there must be some modern technology that annoys you? Me Julee say's her touchscreen phone annoys her most.  Personally, it's the fish counter that lets salmon pass up the weir without anyone knowing except the fisheries board. They give the information to certain favoured fishermen that suddenly turn up above the weir and catch a whopper!  India and the starving nations is obviously a massive debate. It seems the availability of fresh water is the issue that modern technology and humanity has failed to apply itself to. We can pipe oil across vast continents!-- Modern technology can wander around on Mars looking for water, but if we google "global water shortage solution", we will find a website called G.W.S.S selling a waterless car cleaning system on a pyramid scheme as the solution to the whole planets water availability problems!--- That is modern technology innit!--- Have a quick look at the website--- unbelievable! I can't complain on the health front (thanks for asking), because I'm still here!-lol-- Normality is relative.  Although, sometimes I forget why I'm confused, then I remember, it's because I get confused when I forget.
    Posted by oynutter
    Morning Nutter.

I really can't bring to mind any technology that annoys me. I see people "tilt" - that's the modern word in poker, tilt - about THE most inconsequental things, which I find very odd. I think I just look at these things differently because of my age. Lifer is too short to waste being tilted about inconsequential matters. Mine is, anyway....! 

I think the point you make about our seeming inability to solve the water crisis in India & other parts of the sub-continent, & yet we can pipe oil & gas right around the world, as good as any I've seen. 

Water is THE most amazing thing, too. Too much, too little, it floods us, drowns us, feeds us, & kills us. Apparently, water is a sort of "closed system". The amount never changes, it just goes round & round, in ice caps, clouds, sea, rivers, lakes, aquafers, but keeping the system in balance is the thing. So often, there is too much, or too little.  

We live in a very odd world. Pretty amazing though.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Who wins all these main tournaments? : Morning George. Why ever would you think that Sky Poker do not already do that?! You say "not having a rant", & yes, I agree - it is a fair question, but one that surprises, to be honest. I don't mind any or all questions of that nature, because poker players often do not realise how an Online Poker Site works. Personally, the more these things are explained, the better, imo, though of course a line has to be drawn with commercially sensitive stuff.  So, unique visits. It's a prime measuring device, they know exactly how many players are on the Site, seated, at any given moment, every single day. There are Daily, Weekly, & Monthly reports, & the very first line on every one of them is "Uniques". ("Uniques" are the number of DIFFERENT players - thus "Uniques" on the site, in a given period - Day, Week, Month etc).  Uniques are  are also measured by buy-in level (high, medium, low), format (cash, Tourneys, SNG), on a daily, weekly, & monthly basis. These reports are key to the business, & the Daily Report comes through at smack on 9am every day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. For each of the SB&G Family, "Uniques" are the very first line on the report. Once the Uniques are known, it is the starting point for almost all analytics. How is the Omaha coming along? I am seriously tempted to drive up to Coventry tomorrow (Wednesday) to play the GUKPT £250 Omaha Tourney. Live Omaha Tourneys are so rare in the UK, it'd be a shame to miss the opportunity. I am certain it would be a wise use of £250......   
    Posted by Tikay10

I don't know how this came to my mind actually. I saw that you only referred to new accounts being created every week and imo the site has to concentrate and check how many of these accounts are live and used regularly.

It feels good to have a honest guy like you explain so much stuff about what a poker site does and how things work.

Regarding the Omaha part, I haven't played that much for a while cause I was a little busy with holidays and exams. I have my last one tomorrow and then I am off to Greece again so I have to miss the tour I am afraid. To be honest I have played very few Omaha tours and I feel the games plays different in tours than in cash? Am I right?

I am preparing the first GreekWay Omaha Clinic and I think it might be ready next week.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Morning Nutter. I really can't bring to mind any technology that annoys me. I see people "tilt" - that's the modern word in poker, tilt - about THE most inconsequental things, which I find very odd. I think I just look at these things differently because of my age. Lifer is too short to waste being tilted about inconsequential matters. Mine is, anyway....!  I think the point you make about our seeming inability to solve the water crisis in India & other parts of the sub-continent, & yet we can pipe oil & gas right around the world, as good as any I've seen.  Water is THE most amazing thing, too. Too much, too little, it floods us, drowns us, feeds us, & kills us. Apparently, water is a sort of "closed system". The amount never changes, it just goes round & round, in ice caps, clouds, sea, rivers, lakes, aquafers, but keeping the system in balance is the thing. So often, there is too much, or too little.   We live in a very odd world. Pretty amazing though.
    Posted by Tikay10
    LOL--- Thats you Tikay!--- I once told Orford that you had taught me a lot of philosophy, if you were any younger, you would have wisdom beyond your years!

Water---- Solar powered desalination plants can turn sea water into fresh water--- In just a few years these plants could (in theory) solve the worlds fresh water problems--- Saudi Arabia lead the way, but, as with all technology, it will become more affordable, and (in another theory) Africa and india could end up with more fresh water than anywhere else on the planet!
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Who wins all these main tournaments? : I don't know how this came to my mind actually. I saw that you only referred to new accounts being created every week and imo the site has to concentrate and check how many of these accounts are live and used regularly. It feels good to have a honest guy like you explain so much stuff about what a poker site does and how things work. Regarding the Omaha part, I haven't played that much for a while cause I was a little busy with holidays and exams. I have my last one tomorrow and then I am off to Greece again so I have to miss the tour I am afraid. To be honest I have played very few Omaha tours and I feel the games plays different in tours than in cash? Am I right? I am preparing the first GreekWay Omaha Clinic and I think it might be ready next week.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Hi George, & thanks.

My original reference to new Accounts was simply because another chap had asked a question about it, & he had made a sort of inaccurate correlation, so I tried to clear it up (and only ended up making it worse)!

Good luck with that last Exam, & let us know how you get on.

Omaha Tourneys play different to Omaha cash? Sort of, I suppose, just as Hold Em does, but for different reasons.

In Omaha, the pots get so much bigger, & so much more quickly, so yes, they play much faster in some ways. For that reason, I am very very selective as to what Pots I enter pre-flop, & I exercise a lot of pot control.

In Omaha, we very often have to get all our chips in, that is a fundamental part of the way the game plays, so its best to pick & choose your starting hands & position with great care. Of course, once we get past halfway, we are playing nice & deep, & we have sussed the opponents, sorted them into "any four", "Hold Em players " or good Omaha players, then we can get a bit more lairy, aggro, & open up a bit.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay
    thanks for your comments, i have been playing for some time but cannot seem to get to grips with it i love the game but am currently losing more than i win. i would appriciate your comments on how to improve my game 

kind regards Spoony21 aka Kevin
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay,

Not a Q as such but I was out for a run this p.m. and came across this place near where I live.  I'm pretty sure you'll be interested.  I came across the plaque and decided to google when I got home.  Really interesting!  

Pad
  • edited August 2012
    Sorry Tikay, back to a Nutter! I moved from Kent to the west of Ireland over 20 years ago, so I'm probably more annoyed by the global water shortage than most!---- The Irish should be far more angry about it imo!--- it's a disgrace I tell you!---- SORT IT OUT SKY! (and sea)

Mr Angry

Tuns of bridges and wells!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay thanks for your comments, i have been playing for some time but cannot seem to get to grips with it i love the game but am currently losing more than i win. i would appriciate your comments on how to improve my game  kind regards Spoony21 aka Kevin
    Posted by spoony21
    Morning Kev.

See THIS
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay, Not a Q as such but I was out for a run this p.m. and came across this place near where I live.  I'm pretty sure you'll be interested.  I came across the plaque and decided to google when I got home.  Really interesting!   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laigh_Milton_Viaduct Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    What an amazing thing that is, Pad!

In particular, this staggered me. (Bear in mind that the Viaduct is over 200 years old).

"....The west pier is founded on a hard wood platform 5ins (127mm) thick at a depth about 6 ft (1.8 m) below normal river level, and rests on sand, gravel and weathered bedrock. This timber is saturated but still hard...."

Which, anyway you look at it, is extraordinary. You'd think that wood would rot if underwater for 200 years. Incred.

Good find Mr Pads.
  • edited August 2012

Tikay

I was wondering if there has been any changes to cash for points recently.

At the end of a tourney (ie when knocked out) it used to always say "Thanks for playing. You finished nth. You have been awarded x poker points"

Now it sometimes doesnt say anything about being awarded points.  (I am not talking about freerolls, of course.)  Sometimes it still does mention the points.

If the message doesnt say anything about points, does that mean you dont get any?

I have noticed this since late registration started.  Is there some new rule conected to that?

Cheers

• edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay, just wondered if you knew why the £20 guaranteed buy in £1.10 has been removed. It nearly always made its guarantee and so this baffles me, used to like playing it alongside another tourney perhaps you can give us an answer, cheers!!
  • edited August 2012
    Tikay I was wondering if there has been any changes to cash for points recently. At the end of a tourney (ie when knocked out) it used to always say "Thanks for playing. You finished nth. You have been awarded x poker points" Now it sometimes doesnt say anything about being awarded points.  (I am not talking about freerolls, of course.)  Sometimes it still does mention the points. If the message doesnt say anything about points, does that mean you dont get any? I have noticed this since late registration started.  Is there some new rule conected to that? Cheers
    Posted by Padzz77
    Good morning Padzz,

There are frequent changes to Cash 4 Points, in that there are often Promotions & the like, but I'm not aware of any change which removed points earned in Tournaments. I may have missed such a change, but I'd be surprised if I had, as I generally follow that sort of stuff in depth, as part of my job.

I will ask the question, & get back to you though, just in case.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Tikay, just wondered if you knew why the £20 guaranteed buy in £1.10 has been removed. It nearly always made its guarantee and so this baffles me, used to like playing it alongside another tourney perhaps you can give us an answer, cheers!!
    Posted by CUJimmi
    Good morning.

In truth, no, I don't know.

They tinker, fiff, faff & fettle with the Tourney Schedule all the time, especially now, as the Autumn & Winter season approaches. Nothing stands still for long these days.....

• edited August 2012
    Tikay I was wondering if there has been any changes to cash for points recently. At the end of a tourney (ie when knocked out) it used to always say "Thanks for playing. You finished nth. You have been awarded x poker points" Now it sometimes doesnt say anything about being awarded points.  (I am not talking about freerolls, of course.)  Sometimes it still does mention the points. If the message doesnt say anything about points, does that mean you dont get any? I have noticed this since late registration started.  Is there some new rule conected to that? Cheers
    Posted by Padzz77
    Hi padz yous still get poker points every time you buy in to a mtt/stt/cash and you will still get cash from c4p if you earn  500pts or more in a month.

To find out more check the promotins page regarding c4p.

the points that use to come up after a mtt/stt etc were league points but the league is no longer running and sky are going to replace it with something else but no news yet.

hope this helps.