You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi Tikay,

Do you know of a good memory doctor who can help people who forget that they took their car to work and then get a taxi home.  If so could you please give the number to a certain losing Team Captain.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    Hi Tikay, Do you know of a good memory doctor who can help people who forget that they took their car to work and then get a taxi home.  If so could you please give the number to a certain losing Team Captain.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    You must be referring to Mr Orford.......
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Oh oh - I know I know!! Well what I can remember - I'm sure Tikay will correct/lie later about it! Final table at Luton - 7 paid, saver done for 8th and 9th. SB Vs BB. Tikay SB. Relatively short stacked, 2 very big chip stacks elsewhere who had been mercilessly bullying the table with raise after raise after raise. Tikay limps with Aces - and I can tell you now his hand was shaking a bit - tell tale sign of monster hand or getting old - so he got away with it, everyone assumed it was his age...   Rest is a blur but it all went in on the river and he had let his oppo get there. Have to say unlucky as I think Tikay played it assuming his oppo would be raising relentlessly again as he had done so much previously - but he didn't and played the hand meek and mild and ended up knocking Mr Kendall out.  ;-(
    Posted by Dingdell
    A fair summary. So, 8th for £100. And it cost £110.50 to enter.

Whereas Miss Dell bullied & bluffed her way to a 5 way chop, & won £1,000!

Very nice.
  • edited December 2009
    hi there tikay,just a quick question,but iv just finished 2nd in the 5.5k bounty hunter and was wondering when the tournament will b shown on the sky poker chanel as it wasnt shown tonight as i was in play.just want to see what you lot thought about my play and what i did right and what i did wrong. cheers tikay ninipoo71
    Posted by ninipoo71
    Hi again Nini,

I have answered this on the other Thread, but the Show will air on Christmas Day.

So, Christmas Day highlights are her Queen-Ness, & then Lisa & I.
  • edited December 2009
    dear tikay im on a bit of a bad run at the mo. wats your advise of getting out of this nightmare ty xx
    Posted by THEBEV
    Hi bev,

Well, not much to go on there.......

It's probably just "variance" if you usually do ok, in which case, don't change a thing, it will turn.

But if it is so bad that you are not enjoying it, try taking a little break, & when you return, you may feel & play better by being "fresher".

I hope it soon turns for you. It'll be all the sweeter when it does, eh?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Ahhh theres the opening I was looking for, thank you tikay, how did u get on please?
    Posted by acebarry10
    OK-ish.

Had a straight flush - which was bad, as when the third club rivered, it cost me my 2 customers, & I was already holding the nut straight, pah.

In the Final I found Aces in an unopened Pot, in the SB, & limped.

I was ahead pre-flop, but never bet.

I was ahead on the flop, & never bet.

I was ahead on the turn, & never bet.

I was behind on the River, & jammed.

Marv.

Still, it was lovely to see Miss Dell chop it up.

By a weird bit of good fortune, I spent £160, & ended up with £600, so a net profit of about £450 ensued.

Sky Poker faces present included Ch1ompy, Supernova, Bennydip, Muse12, & Dingdell.
  • edited December 2009
    Hey, Total Player mentors! L@@k at me, I'm free and I want to go to Vegas! To win!   I've only started to play 3 or 4 weeks back but I've played a lot of low-level (pub!) dice poker in my life, so that helps at least.   Ignore my bankroll: I haven't got one right now; SkyPoker kindly "sponsors" me with their beginner promotions, this way the £5 initial deposit I made has lasted for weeks and I'm learning fast and starting to develop some moves too! Current style TAG to TC (Totally Confused!) Bankroll to follow, all being well... I'll be playing tonight, 2p/4p or 4p/8p depending on what the tables look like...   And here are a couple of basic questions.   Counting outs:   Say I raise aggressively in late position with Ah 5h, most fold the raise, there are no re-raises and the pot is now about 10 x BB.   Flop comes as: Kh As 7h   I count the outs as: 2 Aces, 3 Fives, 9 hearts or 14 outs total. Right? With two cards to come, that approx. 4 x 14 = 56 %, better than 1:1 odds to improve the hand. I should bet at least pot size, right?   Continuation bets:   Are these to be made only out of position or am I reading that wrongly?   Example: same hole cards as above. Following TiKay's adage 'Fold or Raise' I raise 3 x or 4 x BB in earliest position (so, completely out of position).   Now the flop comes down and there's nothing there. Realistic chances of improving the hand are now (assuming no Ace has flopped and not considering the 5 as alive) 2 Aces as outs, so 8 % with two cards to come. My feeling is that to bet here means to bluff all the way unless the board really appears useless to anyone. What to do? CB and bluff some more? Fold and lose the stake? Apologies if this post doubles, I don't think I was logged in the first time...
    Posted by OldhandLuk
    Hi Luk,

Firstly, I am not a Total Player Mentor. The Mentors may or may not read this thread, I don't know, but they will NOT be selecting candidates on that basis, it is based on playing on Sky Poker ONLY.

Your "Outs" question. Well, assuming you are currently behind (& you may not be), your calcs are about right, certainly "near enough", as we don't need them to be within a few %.

BUT, there is a difference between "Outs" & "Clean Outs".

In this case, if Villain has a Bigger Ace, then your 2 Ace "outs" are not "clean" outs, they are dead outs. Ditto if he has a set of Fives, your outs are not clean. In that case, even your flushing outs are not all live, as he wins if the Board pairs even if you hit your flush.

So, to use the "Outs" Maths, you must FIRST put your oppo on a "likely" hand, then work out which clean outs you have.

The C-Bet question. No, it's not position dependent at all. If YOU were the Pre-Flop aggressor, from any Position, then your flop bet is your C-Bet.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : OK-ish. Had a straight flush - which was bad, as when the third club rivered, it cost me my 2 customers, & I was already holding the nut straight, pah. In the Final I found Aces in an unopened Pot, in the SB, & limped. I was ahead pre-flop, but never bet. I was ahead on the flop, & never bet. I was ahead on the turn, & never bet. I was behind on the River, & jammed. Marv. Still, it was lovely to see Miss Dell chop it up. By a weird bit of good fortune, I spent £160, & ended up with £600, so a net profit of about £450 ensued. Sky Poker faces present included Ch1ompy, Supernova, Bennydip, Muse12, & Dingdell.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wierd? Good judgement on your pick of horses if you ask me......
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Wierd? Good judgement on your pick of horses if you ask me......
    Posted by Dingdell
    Q-4 rules.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Q-4 rules.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ah - it was a shove but well timed imo.....if only to see my oppos face when the 2 queens came down - best part of the night!
  • edited December 2009
    what happens next? 5 people left the dealer deals 3 people drop out leaves 2 they both end up allin,1 has pket 10ns the other has pkets 8s the flop comes 10 a 3 the one who has trip 10 notices the dealer has shuffled the cards but said nothing the one with eights did not see the shuffle .thep carry on playing the turn comes 8 then the river comes 8 so the one with 10ns shouts miss deal.but why did he not shout miss deal when he saw the dealer shuffle...what is the rule on this?....

tyvm
                                                                          rob
  • edited December 2009
    what happens next? 5 people left the dealer deals 3 people drop out leaves 2 they both end up allin,1 has pket 10ns the other has pkets 8s the flop comes 10 a 3 the one who has trip 10 notices the dealer has shuffled the cards but said nothing the one with eights did not see the shuffle .thep carry on playing the turn comes 8 then the river comes 8 so the one with 10ns shouts miss deal.but why did he not shout miss deal when he saw the dealer shuffle...what is the rule on this?....                                                             tyvm                                                                       rob
    Posted by scotty86
    I would imagine as action has taken place the hand stands as it is and is awarded to the pocket eights player, or best case scenario it is a misdeal but I think thats a little unfair as he should have declared what he saw immediately, not waited until he was behind before asking for a misdeal.

We all like to bluff, but I dislike dishonesty at the table of any kind. Win fair and square imo.
  • edited December 2009

Hi Tikay, I see sky have added Omaha to the menu, can you a newby please how do you play it? and whats the main differences to hold em?  thanks Steve AKA aardvark48

• edited December 2009
    Hi Tikay, I see sky have added Omaha to the menu, can you a newby please how do you play it? and whats the main differences to hold em?  thanks Steve AKA aardvark48
    Posted by aardvark48
    Hi Steve - here is the link to Tikays guide to beginners Omaha - everything you need to know. Gl!

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3aa5c76ef1-0394-4a4b-86f1-6727bbef5c54&plckCurrentPage=0
  • edited December 2009

Thanks Tracey - appreciate that. Snowed under here!
  • edited December 2009

Hi Tikay,

Much obliged for these answers (I was aware you're not a mentor, shame as you're definitely one of my fave 865 presenters).

'Clean outs', eh? Didn't know about that. For a beginner putting villains where they most likely are is one of the hardest things, especially with such short decision making times... How do you guess villain may have a pair of 5s??? Pocket pair is always a reasonable assumption if villain calls an aggressive raise, but a specific pocket pair? Lots to learn there.

Right now my problem is of a very different nature: technical problems with multiple uncaused time outs making playing like dodging a mine field: nothing like it to get you on full TILT within 5 minutes. Two days running now...

I've reported the problem to help@skybet.com with full details but am reluctant to play again without assurances that the problems are solved.

Now don't apologise, just go kick some b*tt in the IT crowd...

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi Tikay,   Much obliged for these answers (I was aware you're not a mentor, shame as you're definitely one of my fave 865 presenters).   'Clean outs', eh? Didn't know about that. For a beginner putting villains where they most likely are is one of the hardest things, especially with such short decision making times... How do you guess villain may have a pair of 5s??? Pocket pair is always a reasonable assumption if villain calls an aggressive raise, but a specific pocket pair? Lots to learn there.   Right now my problem is of a very different nature: technical problems with multiple uncaused time outs making playing like dodging a mine field: nothing like it to get you on full TILT within 5 minutes. Two days running now...   I've reported the problem to help@skybet.com with full details but am reluctant to play again without assurances that the problems are solved.   Now don't apologise, just go kick some b*tt in the IT crowd...
    Posted by OldhandLuk
    Hi OHL - as Tikay is snowed under - and here in Northampton it has been snowing so I'm not going anywhere - I will answer for him so far as I can - if he wants to chip in I'm sure he will when he can.

Best place for technical issues is as you've reported it and also let the Sky peeps know on the 'bugs' thread as they are at the sharp end with all us lot. Great that you have highlighted it here too - Tikay has a big stick and once a week he takes the head of IT and if appropriate hits him with it! In all seriousness - Tikay will also moan collectively for the forum when appropriate but it's difficult for him to deal with individual cases so keep badgering Sky Rich for an answer. If you can't get an answer come back and Tikay whill sharpen the stick in readiness.

At the moment the new tables seem to be causing some people a few problems particularly speed issues, it's only a few days into the new tables and we have to expect a few bugs. The site imo just gets better and better - it's impossible to beta test the software completely - the real test is once we are all on it asking it do a million things at once - so please bear with it - and don't leave - it's a great place to hang out in!!

As for putting people on hands, impossible to do with complete certainty of course. Instinct, remembering how someone plays particular hands, pot odds and bet sized may all help. I played at Luton on Sunday, called a raise with pocket fives, hit my set on the flop, check raised the raiser all in and bust his aces. He guessed I had a set before I turned his cards over, but he was pot committed and had to put the rest of his chips in. Conversely I hit a set of jacks on the flop in a tourney, did the check raise only to find I was facing a set of kings, he had flat called the kings under the gun, flat called my raise and hit his set on the flop. Never in a million years did I think I was behind! it's why we love/hate poker.

Hope that helps - Tikay will be over soon I'm sure to correct this as he sees fit - I'm just passing on what I've read elsewhere here which I hope is correct!

Tracey.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Tikay.  Can you explain the rules of Omaha, for all of us Novices out here, Its ok to introduce these new versions of Poker but not much good if only a few people can play it.    And where and why have Sky demlshed the SHED Freeroll ?
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Tikay.  Can you explain the rules of Omaha, for all of us Novices out here, Its ok to introduce these new versions of Poker but not much good if only a few people can play it.    And where and why have Sky demlshed the SHED Freeroll ?
    Posted by aardvark48
    Hi aard,

Well I did Post a Thread up, explaining all the Rules, & adding some tips & hints, & numerous Members also Posted on the Thread.

It's here.....

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:df77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion:a5c76ef1-0394-4a4b-86f1-6727bbef5c54&plckCurrentPage=0
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by aardvark48
    I really don't know why they stopped The Shed Freeroll, & really I'm not positioned to know the answer to that, sorry.

But they do like to keep things fresh, mix it up a bit, & I think that's a good thing. They give away tens of thousands of £'s in Freerolls, but it's an odd thing, because Freerolls seem to cause more upset amongst Players than almost anything else.  
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hi OHL - as Tikay is snowed under - and here in Northampton it has been snowing so I'm not going anywhere - I will answer for him so far as I can - if he wants to chip in I'm sure he will when he can. Best place for technical issues is as you've reported it and also let the Sky peeps know on the 'bugs' thread as they are at the sharp end with all us lot. Great that you have highlighted it here too - Tikay has a big stick and once a week he takes the head of IT and if appropriate hits him with it! In all seriousness - Tikay will also moan collectively for the forum when appropriate but it's difficult for him to deal with individual cases so keep badgering Sky Rich for an answer. If you can't get an answer come back and Tikay whill sharpen the stick in readiness. At the moment the new tables seem to be causing some people a few problems particularly speed issues, it's only a few days into the new tables and we have to expect a few bugs. The site imo just gets better and better - it's impossible to beta test the software completely - the real test is once we are all on it asking it do a million things at once - so please bear with it - and don't leave - it's a great place to hang out in!! As for putting people on hands, impossible to do with complete certainty of course. Instinct, remembering how someone plays particular hands, pot odds and bet sized may all help. I played at Luton on Sunday, called a raise with pocket fives, hit my set on the flop, check raised the raiser all in and bust his aces. He guessed I had a set before I turned his cards over, but he was pot committed and had to put the rest of his chips in. Conversely I hit a set of jacks on the flop in a tourney, did the check raise only to find I was facing a set of kings, he had flat called the kings under the gun, flat called my raise and hit his set on the flop. Never in a million years did I think I was behind! it's why we love/hate poker. Hope that helps - Tikay will be over soon I'm sure to correct this as he sees fit - I'm just passing on what I've read elsewhere here which I hope is correct! Tracey.
    Posted by Dingdell
    Hi Tracey,

To be fair, SkyPoker's response (today) to my technical query by email was swift and satisfying. I'm being compensated with a small but appropriate amount of credit. I'm also being advised to delete Internet temp files & cookies and to try again, which I will do tonight.

My hopes aren't high: I'm pretty convinced, going by other complaints, that the problem lies with Sky, not my PC. Still, it's worth a shot...

• edited December 2009
    how do u get password for frosty freeroll
  • edited December 2009
    who won last nights tko 4 plz
  • edited December 2009
    Team Orford, i think ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    who won last nights tko 4 plz
    Posted by tazz1981
    Hi tazz

The official result is in the sky poker tournament section, but I will say 3-1 ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by scotmac
    Hi Scot,

I don't believe it's open to most of us - I saw a Post earlier which suggested it was something to do with Sky Sports.

Sorry I can't help further.
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by scotmac
    Hi scot

If you go to skysports.com and open the advent calendar and answer the question, you will get the password
  • edited December 2009

new to this lark sort of ok with poker bit but useless on using pc. could you tell me how to bet or raise a specific amount eg 5 quid rather than using the ones on screen.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?how to:
    new to this lark sort of ok with poker bit but useless on using pc. could you tell me how to bet or raise a specific amount eg 5 quid rather than using the ones on screen.
    Posted by PORKO
    Porko, if you click your mouse in the box where the amount is when it is your turn to bet you can overtype the amount with any (valid) bet that you like.
  • edited December 2009

Well, tonight went a little better on the technical side but not completely A-OK either.

First table sat me out on the first BB! I could tell the soft wasn't synching properly...

I left, logged out and logged back in, only to find I was still seated at that same table, and play resumed this time normally for about an hour.

Someone came to the table (2p/4p cash) with £10 and outbet everybody with ridiculously high bets that no one could match. He lost big time a few times and I saw him run for another £10 at least twice, keeping play impossible for us lower stackers. I took him to the cleaners once but then I lost big to him with an A 5 that just didn't deliver and left the table.

I know it's No Limit but when clearly not-so-clever players wave around their cash only to steal pots, I wonder if that should be allowed at beginner tables, he caused most of us to fold just to avoid him, then outrageously outbet on any raise. That's not aggression anymore, IMHO. In any case if he was 'sharking' he wasn't very good at it but you don't know in the long run: did he lose big or win some? Playing against that guy was a bit like playing for play chips, where some people just shove in a 1000 chips whenever, wherever...

It remains to be seen if this (technical) improvement is temporary or not.