You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1040 dev's DYM grind..(b/roll atm £1,069.18)...FINISHED

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Nice 1 Dev,

Don't forget tomorrow is Sunday!!!

Keep smiling buddy
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£245.26)..hooooray again. lol:
    Nice 1 Dev, Don't forget tomorrow is Sunday!!! Keep smiling buddy
    Posted by Woogie8688
    thanks Mike,
    just going 2c how sundays have been 4me,
    report on the way.
    be good
    :)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    DAY 69
    sunday 8/7/12

"bingo days"

sundays;

6/5/12  won £5.95

13/5/12  lost £4.85

20/5/12  day off

27/5/12  won £0.65 lost £15.20

3/6/12  lost £1.30

10/6/12  won  £20.70

17/6/12  lost  £29.65

24/6/12  won  £6.20

1/7/12  day off

8/7/12 ?

totals...

won  £33.50

lost  £51.00

total lost £17.50

conclusions;
    why bother playing on "bingo days"?
    obviously not profitable..
    well 4me anyway.   lol

(* *)
       "
       ^
    dev

decided not 2 play any dym,
    just crashed out of LS freeroll
    top pair top kicker lost to some numpty playing 2 low cards & hitting run.
    w/p.
    still in 7pm freeroll 96/211
    laters
    won £0.70

b/roll £245.96 (+£205.25)
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Dev,

Because we all hope today will be different!!

Reckon its deffo a day for sticking to the £3 & £2's no point giving a £5 a go cos that will only start playing with your head if you lose it. Just stay +ve m8

Tc & have a good 1 Ian,

Mike
  • edited July 2012
    hi Mike
    the facts don,t lie though....
    so i think that,s my point?
    will be watching the tennis safternoon...
    so will prob not play 2day..
    apart from league stars 2nite.
    have a good day yourself m8.
    ian
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£245.26)..hooooray again. lol:
    Hi Dev, Because we all hope today will be different!! Reckon its deffo a day for sticking to the £3 & £2's no point giving a £5 a go cos that will only start playing with your head if you lose it. Just stay +ve m8 Tc & have a good 1 Ian, Mike
    Posted by Woogie8688
    and we all hoped England would win the Euro,s   lol

dev
  • edited July 2012
    conclusions; why bother playing on "bingo days"? obviously not profitable.. well 4me anyway.   lol (* *)    "    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    As weird as it sounds, in DYMs, there is actually some logic in saying "I don't want to play bad players". 

Imagine you're in a £10 +£1 DYM. Every player has their starting stack of 2,000 chips, and the blinds are up to 100/200. Everyone has the same stack size so everyone's stacks are worth £10 according to ICM. You move all in with Pocket 10s from the Small Blind, which is a pretty standard shove. Player in the Big Blind is a weekend bingo player, and makes a really bad call with QJ, because it's two picture cards and it looks pretty and he might win the hand.

In a cash game, if you both put £10 in the middle and the same hands are turned over, one of you wins £20 (minus rake, but meh), we're a very slight favourite with 10s, we'll probably break even here over time. In a DYM, a double up doesn't mean you've definitely cashed, and therefore, you're both effectively wagering stacks worth £10 to win quite a lot less than £20, and it's a coin flip, which is a pretty bad situation to be in, and we'll lose money over time. Because there's still £60 in the prize pool though, the rest of that "Money" doesn't just vanish, it goes to the other players, as although they've not gained or lost any chips, they have to survive less knockouts.

This means that, in certain spots, players acting irrationally can actually be to our disadvantage in DYMs. Generally, in DYMs, we have to be getting our money in with quite a lot more than 50% chance of winning for us to want a call, whereas if you compare this to a cash game, if you constantly get your money in as a 52% favourite, it'll take a while because of variance, but you'll be making money. 

We still want to play bad players, ofc, but there are adjustments which need to be made to your game at the weekends when the so-called "Bingo Players" are out, so that other people's 'stupidity' doesn't have a negative effect on our profits.

Tbh, I think if you don't fancy DYMs at weekends with "Bingo Players", your best bet would be to crush 4NL instead, you should be able to print money there :)
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£239.76...hooooray again. lol:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£239.76...hooooray again. lol : thanks m8 played some £3 too m8  lol but u knew that. how u doing with no. of tables now? up to 18 yet /> dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Lol nah, tried it & made my head spin!

Think 12 is gona be my max.

Ur rite, sundays can be strange 4 some reason, but don't let results put u off - it's just that dreaded 'v' word again.

Equally, if u don't feel fresh & ready 2play - nowt wrong with sitting out either.

Gl in the LS freeroll, i'll be on that2 so maybe c u later on the virtual felt!

• edited July 2012
    taking flips in DYM's is not good, only time you should entertain them is on the bubble

random bingo players calling lightish pre bubble where they place in a race, is not good for you.

just need to think about shoving/calling ranges pre bubble :)

it's all about the bubble baby !

pre bubble u want a big chunk of equity before you shove all in,  the more you do this the better long term

Like variance, the more flips you take the greater the chance of you loosing and busting out of the tournamnet

hence the importance of acheiving a big stack to absurb variance

ps, just get your chips in good with +60% and you'll win long term - have faith borother )
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£245.26)..hooooray again. lol : As weird as it sounds, in DYMs, there is actually some logic in saying "I don't want to play bad players".  Imagine you're in a £10 +£1 DYM. Every player has their starting stack of 2,000 chips, and the blinds are up to 100/200. Everyone has the same stack size so everyone's stacks are worth £10 according to ICM. You move all in with Pocket 10s from the Small Blind, which is a pretty standard shove. Player in the Big Blind is a weekend bingo player, and makes a really bad call with QJ, because it's two picture cards and it looks pretty and he might win the hand. In a cash game, if you both put £10 in the middle and the same hands are turned over, one of you wins £20 (minus rake, but meh), we're a very slight favourite with 10s, we'll probably break even here over time. In a DYM, a double up doesn't mean you've definitely cashed, and therefore, you're both effectively wagering stacks worth £10 to win quite a lot less than £20, and it's a coin flip, which is a pretty bad situation to be in, and we'll lose money over time. Because there's still £60 in the prize pool though, the rest of that "Money" doesn't just vanish, it goes to the other players, as although they've not gained or lost any chips, they have to survive less knockouts. This means that, in certain spots, players acting irrationally can actually be to our disadvantage in DYMs. Generally, in DYMs, we have to be getting our money in with quite a lot more than 50% chance of winning for us to want a call, whereas if you compare this to a cash game, if you constantly get your money in as a 52% favourite, it'll take a while because of variance, but you'll be making money.  We still want to play bad players, ofc, but there are adjustments which need to be made to your game at the weekends when the so-called "Bingo Players" are out, so that other people's 'stupidity' doesn't have a negative effect on our profits. Tbh, I think if you don't fancy DYMs at weekends with "Bingo Players", your best bet would be to crush 4NL instead, you should be able to print money there :)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    hi ep
    ty 4 post m8.
    if "bingo players" are happy calling with rubbish,that,s their choice.
    but when they constantly call & it means that u need 2 win poss 3 or 4 flips per game 2 win then clearly ur in trouble.
    anyway,
    it,s not just myself that seems to struggle on "bingo days"so for the time being i will simply not bother playing them.
    i might use the time for other things?
    poss do some hand analysis as i,ve not got into that yet.
    poss do some spying on players for future reference.
    poss play a few mtt,s,not tried them either.
    or a mix of all 3.
    could play some cash but if i did it would be elsewhere.
    best wishes
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£239.76...hooooray again. lol:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£239.76...hooooray again. lol : Lol nah, tried it & made my head spin! Think 12 is gona be my max. Ur rite, sundays can be strange 4 some reason, but don't let results put u off - it's just that dreaded 'v' word again. Equally, if u don't feel fresh & ready 2play - nowt wrong with sitting out either. Gl in the LS freeroll, i'll be on that2 so maybe c u later on the virtual felt!
    Posted by JingleMa
    hi m8,
    yeah,no point in playing when i am clearly struggling though .
    as i am playing 12 tables myself most of the time i am now able 2 play less hours and still manage a reasonable return with c4p.this will also ensure against burn out hopfully.
    gl 2 in ls freeroll
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    taking flips in DYM's is not good, only time you should entertain them is on the bubble random bingo players calling lightish pre bubble where they place in a race, is not good for you. just need to think about shoving/calling ranges pre bubble :) it's all about the bubble baby ! pre bubble u want a big chunk of equity before you shove all in,  the more you do this the better long term Like variance, the more flips you take the greater the chance of you loosing and busting out of the tournamnet hence the importance of acheiving a big stack to absurb variance ps, just get your chips in good with +60% and you'll win long term - have faith borother )
    Posted by rancid
    hi rancid.
    problem isn,t helped though by the rng as we all know it nearly always helps the underdog.
    hence the reason "bingo players" seem to do so well.
    anyway,
    i,m not getting into that now.
    gl buddy
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Dev, just an observation. but if you take the c4p away, ur up about £1 per day since you started the challenge!!

I know it`s a profit but is it really worth it as poker can get boring!!??
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  70

lost  £20.90

b/roll £225.06 (+£184.35)

c4p  96
    total 1205 = £12.05

another day time losing session
    just don,t seem 2b able to win playing 12 tables at this time of tha day.
    all the odds seem 2b against me.
    so will now either play 2 tables during this period or not play at all.
    when u go in with kk & get called by 8 5 & it comes 5 5 u know it,s not going 2b your day.  lol
    still as i am only playing with money i have previously won,
    i can just about see the funny side to this crazy game that i am playing atm.
    back later
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Ian,
    Been watching your ups and downs with interest.

I think DYM's have changed a lot in the last couple of months (or at least the players have) (or maybe its me) !! lol
    I've certinly noticed that games seem to go to higher levels than they used to.
    Quite normal seeing tables still with 6 players left up to levels 5 & 6 (apart from the odd maniac).

Have you noticed the same??

Run good buddy
    Mick
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£245.96)..hooooray again. lol:
    Hi Dev, just an observation. but if you take the c4p away, ur up about £1 per day since you started the challenge!! I know it`s a profit but is it really worth it as poker can get boring!!??
    Posted by davelufc
    hi dave,
    i did write a reply earlier today to this post & having had time & another losing session to reflect on things,
    i have decided to delete the earlier post & replace it with this one.

yes,i have asked myself the same question several times....
    "is it really worth it?"
    guess i,ll not answer with a straighforward yes or no as i,m unsure from day to day.
    the fact is though i,ve turned £40 into now £225 so i guess i,ll leave it up to you to decide.
    what if i do manage to reach my £1000 target what will you think then?
    also,
    i may  then decide to try to turn £400 into £10,000  with another dym challenge.
    but then again.....
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£245.96)..hooooray again. lol:
    Hi Ian, Been watching your ups and downs with interest. I think DYM's have changed a lot in the last couple of months (or at least the players have) (or maybe its me) !! lol I've certinly noticed that games seem to go to higher levels than they used to. Quite normal seeing tables still with 6 players left up to levels 5 & 6 (apart from the odd maniac). Have you noticed the same?? Run good buddy Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    hi Mick,
    yes,there certainly have been 1 or 2 ups & downs,which of course i fully expected.
    don,t mind the ups but it,s the downs that test you.as i have played many diferent sports all my life to a reasonable standard,i know all about winning & losing,so poker for me is just another sport,& i think i am more than able to deal with whatever it has to throw at me.  lol
    yes,
    i guess new players have joined sky as they always will from week to week ,so it is inevatable you will be seeing new names at the tables,especially as dym,s are quite a popular game for many newcommers.
    also,
    yes it is possible that some games take longer b4 players go out,but i still think at the lower levels there are still plenty of games where u see players going out even at levels 1 or 2.
    best wishes & good luck m8
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  70
    part 2....

won £26.15

b/roll £251.21 (+£210.50)

c4p   75
    total  1280 = £12.80 to come

won back money i lost earlier today
    so happy with that, plus sm w.
    so up & down atm but no worries as i know that is how this game can be at times.
    still happy with my game & confident that i will make more progress this month.especially now i am sticking to playing just £3 games.
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£225.06).:
    DAY  69 part 2.... won £26.15 b/roll £251.21 (+£210.50) c4p   75 total  1280 = £12.80 to come won back money i lost earlier today so happy with that, plus sm w. so up & down atm but no worries as i know that is how this game can be at times. still happy with my game & confident that i will make more progress this month.especially now i am sticking to playing just £3 games. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi

Totally confused by your recent posts tbh.
    I understand the frustration when we lose the all in preflop level 1 with kk v a rag etc but that is why we're playing £3 dym's.
    We play a lot and so know all about variance. We are desperate for that 'bingo' player to shove with ace rag.
    Yeah, he wins a few but more importantly we win more and hence in the long run we make money.
    I have played mostly £5 and £10 since i begun on sky but recently have played a lot of £3's for this very reason.
    Multi-tabling you can make a nice return from these.
    One other thing you seem obsessed with c4p's. I personally would suggest shorter sessions being fresh and alert in all games you're playing as opposed to trying to concentrate for long long periods of time. I think your montly profits would possibly increase this way and whatever c4p's are there at the end of the month are just a nice bonus.
    I see you do a lot of analysis of your games, have you looked at profits from short sessions against those from longer ones?
    I realise that this comes across as a lecture but it i promise it is with the best of intentions.
    You appear to play well whenever i come across you and am surprised your results are not even better than they are.
    Good luck
    Jac
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£225.06).:
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£225.06). : Hi Totally confused by your recent posts tbh. I understand the frustration when we lose the all in preflop level 1 with kk v a rag etc but that is why we're playing £3 dym's. We play a lot and so know all about variance. We are desperate for that 'bingo' player to shove with ace rag. Yeah, he wins a few but more importantly we win more and hence in the long run we make money. I have played mostly £5 and £10 since i begun on sky but recently have played a lot of £3's for this very reason. Multi-tabling you can make a nice return from these. One other thing you seem obsessed with c4p's. I personally would suggest shorter sessions being fresh and alert in all games you're playing as opposed to trying to concentrate for long long periods of time. I think your montly profits would possibly increase this way and whatever c4p's are there at the end of the month are just a nice bonus. I see you do a lot of analysis of your games, have you looked at profits from short sessions against those from longer ones? I realise that this comes across as a lecture but it i promise it is with the best of intentions. You appear to play well whenever i come across you and am surprised your results are not even better than they are. Good luck Jac
    Posted by Jac35
    hi jac,
    thanks for taking the time to post & i appreciate your comments.
    think i lost more than a few y,day afternoon as my results show,but i get your point.
    i,m not sure obsessed with c4p is quite true but again they are a big factor towards my b/roll so i do consider them as very important.
    i have shortened my sessions to probably about 1/2 of what they were in month 1,
    as i am slowly working my way up the levels & back down again in some places  lol.
    as you know poker can vary so much from day to day,& so much of it can be out of our control,imo.
    so the length of my sessions can & do vary as do the results but as long as i have given my best ,than i am happy.
    i have played shorter sessions & "booked the win" which i make no oppologies for & i,ve also played longer sessions where i have had to grind back early losses.i have also played long sessions & lost too,& where i should have possibly stopped sooner.
    it is very much a learning curve in progress & i,m sure if i was to ever attempt another dym challenge at some point in the future which as i have already suggested i might,then i,m sure that any mistakes i am making atm,of which there are many,i will be able to hopefully elliminate.
    as to my results,yes they possibly could be better than they currently are,i agree.
    but when you have as again already mentioned a £130 & £90 losing sessions it is obviously going to have a major impact on my /roll.
    anyway,
    that,s me done,
    off to work to earn some more pennies b4 the rain comes again,no doubt.  lol
    back later.
    :) dev

• edited July 2012
    Hi dev,

Keep grinding as the will pay off in the long run. As you have ran £40 up to around £250 it shows it is working. When you get to 1k you can then roll yourself for another DYM session, like you say £400 playing only £11 dyms, this will get your profits up quicker. So that £1 a day will be £5 a day and then you just keep moving up :)

gl
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£251.21):
    Hi dev, Keep grinding as the will pay off in the long run. As you have ran £40 up to around £250 it shows it is working. When you get to 1k you can then roll yourself for another DYM session, like you say £400 playing only £11 dyms, this will get your profits up quicker. So that £1 a day will be £5 a day and then you just keep moving up :) gl
    Posted by Batkin88
    hi kalie,
    thanks m8,
    yes,i am thinking of my nxt challenge already,only problem i can see atm is having to beat the nxt level which is £5. i,ve had a few attempts at it but without much success.
    i will have another dabble there when i feel the time is right but am happy playing £3 for the time being.
    best wishes with your mtt challenge too.
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£251.21):
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£251.21) : hi kalie, thanks m8, yes,i am thinking of my nxt challenge already,only problem i can see atm is having to beat the nxt level which is £5. i,ve had a few attempts at it but without much success. i will have another dabble there when i feel the time is right but am happy playing £3 for the time being. best wishes with your mtt challenge too. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Dev

In my opinon there is very little differenece between £3 and £5 Dym's. just a few more regulars maybe.
    Itn may be just a confidence thing for you?
    You can certainly with your game be a long term winner at the £5's
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£251.21) : Dev In my opinon there is very little differenece between £3 and £5 Dym's. just a few more regulars maybe. Itn may be just a confidence thing for you? You can certainly with your game be a long term winner at the £5's
    Posted by Jac35
    hi m8,
    thank you for the nice words,
    yes, i,m sure you could be right about it being a confidence thing @ £5 level.although there are deffinately more reg,s there who don,t exactly give you their money.  lol

only thing is if i do lose games at that level it hurts my b/roll alot more,guess it,s 40% i think.which with only £250 to play with i just feel more comfortable at £3.
    i will keep trying though as always to improve & who knows what the future may hold for all of us.
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  71
    tue 10/7/12

lost £9,60

b/roll £241.61 (+£200.90)

c4p  96
    total 1376 = £13.76 to come

played ok i think,
    would have been nice to have pushed on now i ,m up around £250 again,
    but it doesn,t just work like that,does it?
    still no major damage done so no worries.
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  72
    wed 11/7/12

lost a day somewhere,never mind perphaps i,ll find it.   lol
    found it.  it was saturday...
    never played and forgot to log it
    phew!!! mystery solved.  lol

won £0.42 freeroll

b/roll £242.03 (+£201.32)

laters
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  72
    wed 11/7/12
    part 2

won £4.10
    won £9.00 3rd in freeroll.   hooooray

total won £13.10

b/roll £255.13 (+£214.42)

c4p   169
    total  1545 = £15.45 to come

interesting night
    played 3x£5 lost 1st 2 games both on bubble,won 3rd   phew.
    decided to load some more....
    what the hell,you only live once.
    struggled but won final 2 games which kind of got me out of trouble.
    also ran well in freeroll,got my chips in good with exit hand,villian hit...i,m out in 3rd.
    so happy with the final result.
    dev

• edited July 2012
    Nice going dev,

wont be long before you get the $5 monkey off your back & you will be away & flying
    Good night tonight tho.

Mike
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm..£255.13):
    Nice going dev, wont be long before you get the $5 monkey off your back & you will be away & flying Good night tonight tho. Mike
    Posted by Woogie8688
    hi mike,
    thanks m8,
    yes seems tb a problem doesn,t it.
    but all problems are there 2b solved & as u say once i do should be away like a gud un again!!! lol
    best wishes buddy
    ian
  • edited July 2012
    DAY  73
    thurs 12/7/12

won £0.10   wow wee
    (includes £2 7th in freeroll.)

b/roll £255.23 (+£214.52)

c4p   48
    total  1593 = £15.93 to come

change of tactics...
    played 50p & £1.00 during day
    as last few sessions have just been a joke.
    still can,t win but freeroll saves the day.
    (unlucky not to win more as i was 1/7 went all-in some joker called with garbage,obviously hit & knocked me back.would have almost certainly finished 1st or 2nd had i won that hand,but hey,it,s a freeroll & that,s that!!!)
    laters
    dev